PDA

View Full Version : KPs--tan vs. cloud vs. other neutrals...

Cristy
02-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Hey guys--I'm thinking of purchasing some wool of the Andes from knitpicks--I want a cream colored yarn I think, or at least something pretty neutral. I'm afriad that I'm not seeing the true color on my computer screen--has anyone used cloud, tan, daffodil, or snickerdoodle? Which of these colors come the closest? On my screen--I like cloud but I can't tell if it's white or off-white. Judging by the name...I'm guessing it's white. The tan doesn't really match my idea of tan...

any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

gardenmommy
02-04-2006, 11:55 PM
It does come in "neutral" too,

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420101/yarn_display.aspx

I was wondering too about "coal" in WOTA, is it BLACK black or more of a charcoal-y verrrrry dark gray-black.

amy
02-05-2006, 12:09 AM
Cloud is the closest to a cream I'd say. It's white, but not a stark paper white. It's a slightly more natural white. I'd call it white. But it's closer to cream than any others. Daffodil is yellow, a soft muted yellow, but undeniably yellow. Snickerdoodle is a wonderful neutral shade, the classic khaki-pants color; too dark to be called a cream I'd say. Hope that helps.

By the way, I don't know what you're making, but I'm about to post a thread about WOTA: I'm finding that the WOTA sweater I made is pilling like crazy. I'm thinking I like this yarn for felted objects, but I'm not so sure I like it for sweaters for the pilling reason. Look for the thread I'm about to post, maybe others have feedback on this.

amy
02-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Kristin, the coal is definitely black. Solid black.

Cristy
02-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks Amy--I'm making the cozy shawl off of knitty--I was just looking for something worsted and cheap--I'm think that WOTA might not be soft enough though. I have some yarn here at home that I like, but it's discontinued and I don't have enough of one color.

I'm tempted to try cloud I guess--I'm so scared I'd get it dirty (which knitting)! Snickerdoodle looks nice to me--I'm just not sure if it's a good color for a shawl.

Thanks again for your help!

Julie
02-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Just an opinion, but I'd say WOTA is too scratchy for Cozy. I'm 2/3 of the way through a Cozy myself (still :rollseyes: ) and if I had to choose a cheap KP yarn for it, I think I would go with Merino Style -- much softer. But I'm actually using WoolEase, because it's for my DH's grandma, and it needs to be machine washable.

Cristy
02-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Well cool--you just answered a question I posed in another thread--I have enough Wool-ease worsted in Fisherman to do it--I think I'll use it. The one I make needs to be washable for the same reason--it's for my grandmother. (Julie)What color did you choose?

Julie
02-05-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm using WoolEase worsted in Dark Rose Heather. :D

Cristy
02-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Julie--is the stitch definition clear? Ingrid had said that wool-ease is a little fuzzier than the recommended yarn--I think she was concerned as to whether or not the definition is clear--what size needles are you using?

I'm now putting a lot of smiley faces on this post b/c my dd is obsessed w/ these emoticons on the left side of my screen. It's very hard to post w/ her around b/c she picks out the smiley she wants and then I have to go and view my post to show her what her smiley looks like on my page...so please excuse the smiley collection...

:doh: :lol: :XX: :rofling: :cheering: :blush: :heart:

Julie
02-06-2006, 12:13 AM
I think the stitch definition is fine...if you click on my www button, there's a little pic in the left sidebar of my blog under "on the needles." I'm using US10.5 needles.

CarmenIbanez
02-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Julie--is the stitch definition clear? Ingrid had said that wool-ease is a little fuzzier than the recommended yarn--I think she was concerned as to whether or not the definition is clear--what size needles are you using?

I feel like woolease is quite clear when it comes to stitch definition. I like it a lot.