PDA

View Full Version : Einstein Coat KAL

Pages : 1 [2]

Angelia
04-27-2006, 12:04 PM
No problem! Glad I could help ;)

If you haven't yet chosen a yarn, you can get great deals at elann (http://www.elann.com); they've got some gorgeous bulky yarns right now. You might also try discountyarnsale.com (http://www.discountyarnsale.com) and Smiley's (http://www.smileysyarns.com).

Celine
04-27-2006, 12:12 PM
I did it!! :cheering: :cheering: I just ordered my yarn!! I'm so excited. :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: I've been on the computer most of the day in between playing with my 3 yr. old gd. looking at yarns. I decided on a Medium Blue, Shetland Chunky yarn!! Now I wonder which will arrive at my house first....the book :rollseyes: with the pattern for the coat or my yarn??? lol :roflhard: I can't wait to begin!! :inlove:

Angelia
04-27-2006, 02:22 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Can't wait to see your yarn! It sounds lovely! :inlove:

silveridger
04-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Yay, Celine! It's a great project, you're going to like it. Some of the great yarns you guys are using are really tempting me to consider starting another one next fall in something really yummy!

Andrea
04-27-2006, 07:05 PM
My poor coat still sits alone in the craft closet...I hope I get enough motivation to pick it up during the summer ( :shock: ) and knit it for winter...

Glad you're joining us, Celine! :cheering:

Celine
04-27-2006, 07:24 PM
I confess :oops: I am a fast knitter as long as I can understand the directions.lol I am also a "process" knitter. I enjoy the "doing" of the knitting even more than the finished products. Now I just have to wait for my goodies to get here so I can begin. You ladies are a big help..thank you!! :D

DotMom61
04-28-2006, 03:17 PM
My poor coat still sits alone in the craft closet...I hope I get enough motivation to pick it up during the summer ( :shock: ) and knit it for winter...

Glad you're joining us, Celine! :cheering:

I'll bring my Quick & Easy Shell over, and they can keep each other company. ;-)

Andrea
04-28-2006, 08:04 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard:
We should get together and lock ourselves in a room with these 2 items and not come out until they are FINISHED!

Quick and Easy Shell my a$$ :roflhard:

Celine
04-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Yesterday I was at my LYS and I saw Sally's book with the Einstein coat. :cheering: I thumbed thru it a little. I can't wait until my copy arrives in the mail!! I didn't look thru it too much because I want to be surprised when I get my own copy. ;)

Still waiting for my yarn to arrive too. This waiting is hard!! :XX: :XX:

Celine
04-29-2006, 08:12 PM
I just received an email that my two books have been shipped!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: They gave me a tracking number too so I'll watch it on Monday. :D I ordered both of Sally Melville's first two books. Can't wait. :happydance: :happydance:

ScandaKnitvian
04-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Celine,

I hope you love Sally Melville's books as much as I do. I haven't seen her third book, but it's called Color.

I'm finally getting some work done on my Einstein and have about 75 garter ridges done on the bottom piece...that's about halfway I think. Mine is a dark plum, 100% wool that is actually fairly soft.

Happy knitting, everyone!

Patty

Celine
05-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Yea!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: My yarn arrived via UPS today!!! I love the color. :inlove: It's a Shetland Chunky blue like a medium denim color...not too dark and not too light!!

The books have been shipped so they may get here this week then I can do a gauge and begin my coat!! I'm so excited!! Nice to have something to look forward to! :XX: :XX:

Celine
05-02-2006, 11:33 AM
I just had my two Sally Melville's books delivered to my door!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: That was a fast delivery from Amazon and with FREE shipping!

For the past ten minutes I have been looking over the first book in her series of to be FIVE!! I am very impressed with the projects in the book!! I even like the Best Friend jacket too!!! ;)

Well back to the book. Can't wait to look thru book #2 !! :happydance: :happydance:

I have since decided to knit the Best Friend Jacket first. I started one of the sleeves this morning..so far so good. :XX: :XX:

I started a new thread on this jacket. Has any one here knitted it? I'd love to hear how it went for you. :D

DotMom61
05-06-2006, 11:03 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard:
We should get together and lock ourselves in a room with these 2 items and not come out until they are FINISHED!

Quick and Easy Shell my a$$ :roflhard:

Ack! I haven't been in this thread for 2 weeks!!! I didn't see your post, Andrea.

I'm actually think the Q&E Shell is going to be the Q&E Frogged Shell today. I've decided that I cast on wayyy too many stitches, and it's turning out HUGE. So, I think I'll frog it & use the yarn for Sitcom Chic instead. That might be a fun project to take to FL with me.

Einstein is sitting on the living room couch all by himself right now. I think he's getting lonely. :(

Andrea
05-06-2006, 12:44 PM
I'm starting to wonder the same thing about my ChicKami. I will be devastated if it's too big like Tubey :(

jctscon
05-10-2006, 06:13 PM
I'm finished!!!!!!!!!!!!! I finished sewing on the buttons today. I made it in Reynolds Lopi Black. It looks real good to my eye for a beginner. I will post a picture as soon as I get my digital camera back from my dd. I am going to try Sally's summer sweater - anyone up for it?

silveridger
05-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Congrats on finishing! I got mine done just as the weather turned warm, probably won't be able to enjoy wearing it until fall now, but I do love it. Please do post a picture so we can all enjoy!

I started a Sally's Favorite Summer Sweater last fall in hopes of wearing it this summer, need to get back to it in hopes of wearing it before NEXT summer! :lol:

jctscon
05-12-2006, 07:19 AM
Silverridger: On Sally's favorite summer sweater - knitting with the cotton yarn and the look of it seems very strange. Does it look better as it gets longer. New knitter and never knit with cotton before.

jctscon
05-12-2006, 08:07 AM
finished einstein

Andrea
05-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Looks great! Can we see it on?

silveridger
05-12-2006, 01:50 PM
OOOh, I like the black! Yes, please model it for us, there's not much "scale" in pictures of garments that aren't on bodies. :lol:

jctscon, the lower part of the SFSS is a kind of open weave that isn't really apparent until you finish the lower part and press it as the pattern instructs. It will open up and look more "mesh-like" after pressing. Is that what you mean? Cotton does have a different feel than wool, no doubt about it. I love the color and texture of mine (the Knitpicks Shine in apple green), I just wish it was FINISHED!

Celine
05-20-2006, 03:43 PM
HI Ladies, how are you doing on your coats? :lol:

I ended up starting the "Best Friend Jacket" from Sally's first book instead of the Einstein..for now!

I work on it almost daily but with other knitting in between. It's really good to work on at night when I'm tired and watching tv..nothing complicated to follow. :XX: :XX:

I'm using a Medium Blue Chunky Shetland. I like the feel of it and the color. I even bought three buttons already although I sure don't need them quite yet!! lol : I have a ways to go yet. :roflhard:

Yvonne
05-28-2006, 02:23 PM
I never did join the Einstein knitalong, but I did have Sally Melville's book out of the library the past few weeks and decided to make the Einstein anyway. The yarn is something I bought on Ebay on a cone, and it has a lot of color close up but looks brown from a distance.
Anyway, here it is on a person (my daughter). Those buttonholes???? Good luck finding those! My goodness. One good thing is that once you button the coat and hang it up for a while, the buttonholes grow a bit.

Celine
05-29-2006, 08:23 PM
:cheering: You did a wonderful job on your coat!! I love the yarn too.

I was working on the "Best Friend's Jacket" then frogged it. I guess I got bored with all the garter stitching.

I have all three of Sally's books so I do plan to knit a few of her designs. I really do like a lot of them. :XX: I think her books are great. :happydance:

allegra918
05-30-2006, 10:04 AM
I've decided to jump ship with the Einstein Coat and replace that project with the Hex Coat from Knitting Nature.....I won't start until August, but is there anyone interested?

DotMom61
06-18-2006, 11:19 AM
My Einstein is sitting neglected on the living room couch w/ my yarn stash. :( I've even considered using the yarn for a sweater & getting something I like better for the coat. I still want to make it, but it doesn't seem as pressing right now given the 90-degree temps. :rollingeyes:

Andrea
06-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Poor Einy :( Everytime I look at my barely started one in the craft closet, I start to itch! :(

cecile
07-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Hi All.

I have just bought Sally Melville's books and feel totally inspired. Fun and interesting.

I also have sufficient Lopi in stash to do an Einstein. So, of course I am ready to go, heat and humidity be darned!

My query is: What size do I do? I'm normally a size 38 or 8 to 10, but I just had a baby... I'm larger than that now, and want a roomy-ish winter coat, but don't want it TOO huge.

Suggestions on sizing?

I saw some of the pictures. WONDERFUL!!!

Nice to be knitting with you. :XX:

Oh, yes... suggesting on a baby albert yarn? My darling is ready for a few more knitted garments. [/i]

DotMom61
07-08-2006, 01:27 AM
Welcome, Cecile!! I'm about the same size that you are, and I can't :oops: remember :oops: what the size is that I chose. :oops:

As you can see, we've been a little negligent of our Einsteins for several months now. Mine has been secretly stashed away in my "craft" room. I just haven't been motivated to work on it since the weather warmed. I do hope you can get going on yours, though. Maybe you can inspire the rest of us to get ours out again!!

cecile
07-08-2006, 11:12 PM
I finished knitting a ball of black lopi today, which was pretty good progress given that I had to take care of my son while my husband was kayaking... and I am distracted by a felted bag, which is my "teach myself intarsia" project.

I am never going to count WIPS again.

I think I am going to go with an adult medium, unless someone says the small is plenty roomy...

Cecile :XX:

DotMom61
07-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Oh, Cecile, you must have a small WIP, too, when you're working on something as big as Einstein!!! (I'm embarrassed to think about how many things I currently have on the needles :oops:)

Angelia
07-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Are there things NOT on your list DM? I ask because that is some list!!! :shock:

Someday I will finish this coat. I only have the sleeves and the collar to go. :verysad:

Andrea
07-09-2006, 12:06 PM
When it starts getting cooler out, I'll look at poor Einstein again :(

silveridger
07-09-2006, 12:56 PM
I think I finished mine the week we hit the 80's... it hasn't been worn once yet (although I had fun trying it on) and is tucked away in the closet with lavender and cedar sachets until fall. I am SO looking forward to wearing it out this year!

:oops: I don't remember what size I made, either. Next time I'm rummaging in the knitting drawer of the filing cabinet I'll check my notes, Cecile.

DotMom61
07-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Are there things NOT on your list DM? I ask because that is some list!!! :shock:

Well, these little knitty voices in my head keep suggesting more projects. :shock: I was rather frustrated and embarrassed that I found myself daydreaming about a knitting pattern I want to design in church this morning. :oops:

I almost have it all worked out, too. I'd better go get in the confessional line (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206204#206204) behind Bink. :shifty:

cecile
07-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Einstein is the LARGEST project on the needles at the moment, but its sharing my knitting moments with:

1) A green, 4-cable sock which only needs me to graft the toe... and then start its mate. Blackberry ridge pattern & wool. love it.

2) a blue and blue/green fairisle sock. I am to the heel. Again, Blackberry Ridge.

3) A bell-pattern shawl. This is the 6th, or so. This one on an incredible lacy silk/mohair from Fiberarts in San Fran.

4) My first intarsia project, a to-be-felted bag. It's insane. I currently have 7 balls of yarn dripping off the ws.

5) A sweater for DH, simple top-down raglan in a blue/gray ragg wool. All done but for the sleeves.

6) A scarf for me (the multi-directional scarf in Kureyon).

7) A very large lap blanket in Mar La for DH.

And, I have two sweaters for my baby that I've finished knitting, but both need to be finished.

And today... I am finishing putting binding on a quilt I did YEARS ago.

Maybe I should quit my job???

Cecile
Who values the merits of multiple WIPS. :)

silveridger
07-09-2006, 09:33 PM
LOL Cecile, how can you stand it? :roflhard:

I am just too manipulative & controlling, I rarely have more than two things actually going at the same time. Too many loose ends make me flustered. :blush:

I do, however, have a head full of projects I want to make, and the stash to go with it. I see something I must have, buy the pattern and the yarn, and stash it in the closet. If I never bought another knitting thing again I could probably knit for a couple of years without running out. :thumbsup:

cecile
07-09-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm making Einstein in an effort to use up a lot of yarn on one project. My stash is overwhelming... I just had a baby, and my most recent excuse for buying new yarn is, "I need different yarn for baby projects."

Sort of true, I know, but I've also bought about 4 projects worth of NORO yarns... Like I'm going to knit something for the baby in Korchoran? Hmmm.

Well, another day and I DID manage to ALMOST finish another ball of Lopi for my Einstein. If my husband weren't going out of town for a week, I might actually get some knitting done... Oh well.

And it is 90 degrees in Washington DC, with a chance of T-storms daily.

I just HATE knitting cotton. Wool is so much nicer.

Cecile

Andrea
07-10-2006, 05:21 AM
Your Lopi is cotton? Or am I reading that wrong? Mine is Reynolds Lopi and it is the itchiest scratchiest coat in the entire world :(

cecile
07-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Lopi is mostly scratchy because of the crud in the fiber. You have to pick as much out as you can when you knit it. (Can you tell I've knit with Lopi before?) Once it is done, you need to wash it (I recommend by hand, but have done it in cold in a machine with a spoon full of my quilt soap) and use a fabric softener. That will help a lot. :thumbsup: The yarn softens after that process. Don't get me wrong, it won't EVER be like alpaca (ahh, alpaca...) but it's definitely an improvement.

Having said that, I am using Lopi because someone gave me about 20 balls of black Lopi once, :happydance: and I haven't used more than two or three balls (and all for felting). If I didn't have that yarn, I would have thought about doing it in Brown Sheep Bulky, because that is a similar weight yarn that comes in GREAT colors, and it's softer. Or, in Noro's Yori. Yum.

Anyway. Don't give up on Einstein because of the Lopi. The other thing you can do is line the inside neck, and perhaps the inside cuffs with a similar color fleece sewn in. (Or knit an alpaca scarf and mittens in a lovely contrasting color...Can you tell I like alpaca? :inlove: ) I can't think what else would be against your skin, since I think it looks like a definite BAD weather coat.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Cecile