PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Olympics KAL

nicolethegeek
02-06-2006, 01:01 PM
I figured since I started the first thread about it, I would create the KAL for it. The rules for the KAL can be found on Yarn Harlot's (http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/olympics2006.html) web site. I would like to invite everyone that's participating to post what they have chosen for their event.

I'm doing my HBC Booger for my event. I'm doing it in Patons Classic Wool for the cream colour, and the stripes will be done in Peer Gynt.

Vendie
02-06-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm doing the Eyelet Vest from Debbie Bliss' Special Knits, using Dale's Baby Ull. If a friend of mine decides not to make the second one, I'm going to make two. They're for two little girls ages, 2 years and the other 4 months, so it's not going to take forever. But since it's a challenge for me to finish anything, I thought they would make good projects. I can't wait to get started. I've already been swatching like a mad-woman!

sogrammatical
02-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks for starting a KAL thread, Nicole!

I'm going to be making a Clapotis with Malabrigo yarn - it's merino with subtle varigation. Amy actually helped me find it when a few of us met up back in december.

I am sooooooo excited to actually start. I made a small swatch to try out the pattern, and the yarn knits up so well! Waiting until Friday is going to be really hard.

Jan in CA
02-06-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm planning on making my first pair of socks.. :shock:

CarmenIbanez
02-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Well I was going to do a sweater, but I can't get the yarn in time, so I am going to do a layette set for my friends neice/nephew.

Julie
02-06-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm making two cabled items -- the Cookie Sweater (in Malabrigo worsted) and the Out to Play Coat (in Nashua Creative Focus) from Miss Bea's Rainy Day (http://www.theknittinggarden.com/ro-magmissbeasrainyday.htm).

earthchick
02-06-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm doing my first pair of socks.

Pattern - Knitting Pure and Simple Basic Women's Socks
Yarn - Malabrigo, Indigo - it arrived today! :happydance:

DannahK
02-06-2006, 04:54 PM
I was going to do a baby feet blanket... but now I think I am going to have to switch over and do Musical pieces... a Bolaro Jacket, Laced Edged Gloves, and Topsey hair... ( my own creation there). The show is the last weekend in Feb. SO I am on a very tight schedule!

earthchick
02-06-2006, 05:16 PM
I am in love with this yarn. :heart: :heart: :heart: I mean, it is serious. I don't want to put it down, I don't want to quit touching it. It is so luscious. And I am sooooo happy with the color. Mmmmmmm. Or, as my boys would say, "Nyum-nyum-nyum-nyum-nyum."

WynnieG
02-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Viking Chicken Hat, sized for my nephew. Pattern is in my sig! Couldn't find apricot colored yarn, so this will be a cooked, rather than a raw, viking chicken.

butterflymama
02-06-2006, 05:50 PM
I am making my first sock. Using Magic Stripes. LOL I did not want to waste too much money on my first pair. I will be using Silver's awesome tutorial. :XX:

sogrammatical
02-06-2006, 09:52 PM
I'm totally with you on the yarn, earthchick. It's my new favorite yarn - I just don't want to stop touching it! It smells slightly vinegary, but I'll need to wash the clapotis to block it so I'm hoping it'll fade. Mine is violetas!

Vendie
02-06-2006, 09:59 PM
mmm...Malabrigo :inlove: I'm making some non-Olympic mittens out of that in burgandy.

Andrea
02-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Lisa that yarn in GORGEOUS!! :inlove: I gotta get me some of that!

Jenelle
02-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Lisa... that yarn is looking YUMMY!!!! Ohhh I LOVE the color of it!!! :inlove: :inlove: :heart:

sogrammatical
02-06-2006, 11:07 PM
It's soooooooo soft too! And the stitch definition is amazing as well. I never want to knit with anything else again.

This is why I'm so impatient to start!

boyforpele13
02-07-2006, 06:40 AM
i stopped my lace shawl because i decided to go with alpaca cloud instead of shadow and i'm awaiting its arrival. assuming i get it before the 10th, is my first attempt at lace (besides playing with shadow, i'm actually pretty comfy with it now) a ridiculous idea for this event? i want to participate, but that's the next slated project besides the baby blanket i'm in the midst of. thanks! :)

jessi_9783
02-07-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm doing The Knitting Fiend's Sockulator V (http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/613) toe up socks. These will be the first pair of socks that I will have made toe up and with heel flaps. And I'm making them for me. I've already swatched and I'm doing them in KP Simple Stripes in Snapdragon on a US 1. Friday can not come soon enough! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

knitncook
02-07-2006, 12:16 PM
I'm doing Pink Ribbon Breast Cancer Awareness Socks from the Knitting Pattern a Day Calendar. The challenge will be following a chart (I hate charts LOL!) and finishing both socks in 16 days. I've got my gauge done and needles, yarn, stitch markers, scissors, measuring tape and pattern all in my knitting box. It's T-3 days and counting!

mintdee
02-08-2006, 12:24 AM
I can not believe that it is almost time to start the KO! I will be joining in knitting a purse for my daughter. Pink, her name in purple, and a clasp with a special button. I can not wait to get started!

aliassak
02-08-2006, 02:09 AM
Mark me down for Samus. Everything is all set on my end. (I'm even leaving work early :shifty: )

Jan in CA
02-08-2006, 02:22 AM
(I'm even leaving work early :shifty: )

Now THAT is dedication! :cheering: :roflhard:

aliassak
02-08-2006, 02:24 AM
(I'm even leaving work early :shifty: )

Now THAT is dedication! :cheering: :roflhard:

Not really-- that is what I call determination! If Samus was all stockinette, I wouldn't have a problem... It's those cable repeats that slow me down. Need all the help I can get.

kemp
02-08-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm doing the Diamond Fantasy shawl in some sticky mohair. I already swatched (http://www.divaknitting.com/blog/?p=248) and definitely can not afford to make mistakes along the way. Lifeline might be in order although I probably wouldn't be able to frog back to it anyway...this yarn sticks!

horve1
02-08-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm in! Doing an oversize (doubled?) booga bag in Noro Kureyon 147 along with another denim blue wool yarn to add strength. I've done test swatches to see how the felting will go, and I am ready!!!

boyforpele13
02-09-2006, 11:32 AM
kemp,

i haven't tried it, but there was a knit bit that recommended throwing your mohair in the freezer and it supposedly eliminates sticking. i don't remember for how long, though...

that shawl looks gorgeous! i think you've convinced me to try mine for the KO. ;)

nicolethegeek
02-09-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm ready to pull out what hair I have left here! I got a comment on my Team Canada blog post that my Peer Gynt may not felt. I then looked at how light my Patons Classic is, and that may be too light to felt too. I just did up a swatch of the yellow PG, and some of the Classic, and will be tossing it in the washer as soon as I get the laundry going... DD#1 just took a shower, so there's no hot water for the next half hour or so.

Cross your fingers for me... cast on is tomorrow, and if this doesn't felt, my only option is running back to Ram's for about $50-60 worth of a different {and untested} type... *if* they have the colours I want in stock.

horve1
02-09-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm so psyched for this! Got my yarn, swatched, test-felted... Making a double-sized booga bag using Noro Kureyon 147 knit together with Heilo Marine Blue (for strength and to accent the blue in the Kureyon). Having a hard time waiting! I am so glad I have two other projects to work on in the mean time.

GO TEAM!!!! :cheering:

Jenelle
02-09-2006, 04:05 PM
I got until tomorrow to think of what to do..... I think I'm going to start my mom's friends lap blanket... It's going to be about a foot and a half wide by 4ft long.... I should be able to get it done :shock:

:shifty:

hopefully... I'll do it at an angle sorta... like a clapotis..

Shouldn't be that hard... right? :shifty:

jhelanee
02-09-2006, 06:32 PM
My unofficial Knitting Olympics project is a bunch of stuff for DotMom's Chemo Kid KAL. I am currently planning on doing a braided cable hat and coordinating scrunchable scarf, a Homespun shawl and a floppy brim hat. Possibly plus more if time permits.

Let's see, if we can cast on at 2pm EST, that's 11am PST - oh good I can work on this at lunch!

boyforpele13
02-09-2006, 10:43 PM
i think i have to change my KAL project already :oops: My yarn didn't arrive yet and plus there's just no way I'll finish that shawl. I forgot about the Hipster from Knitty (http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATThipster.html) that is due for a March birthday for my bestest friend. I am going with that instead and that should allow me to also complete the baby blanket that's due first week in March simultaneously. I am not going to bug Stephanie about it, I'm sure she's quite busy enough, but I'm making my official change here for the record. ;)

Jenelle
02-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Ahh it's not to late to change then?? I need to get my mom's friends blanket done by the middle of march and I put in a teddy bear sweater(seriously.. that'll take me.... 4 hours?!?)

I did notice that she has been busy... It probably took her a looong time to go through all those names, sort them, ect.. :(

I'm changing it to a lap blanket... that should be good :)

I don't want to tell her too late though :(

boyforpele13
02-09-2006, 10:51 PM
i bet she would change ours if we asked, but she's already doing so much, i figured i would just make note of it here. i have so little time to knit anymore anyway, i was a bit overzealous with the enormo-lace shawl. ;) do you have a pattern for that lap blanket? i have some on my to-do list for a nursing home.

Jenelle
02-09-2006, 11:15 PM
No I don't sadly :( I wish I did have a pattern though. I'm doing some research tonight to look for some though. I'll PM you the patterns if I find anything that you might like :)

boyforpele13
02-09-2006, 11:35 PM
awesome, thank you! i was actually contemplating just crocheting up big granny squares and doing that. the nursing home residents would get them a LOT faster that way. ;) i think my friend that does it just does garter stitch, but i have the hots for feather and fan right now and that would be just as nice. we'll see. i have some charity preemie caps i promised a friend first anyway so it's no rush. so much knitting, so little time!

sogrammatical
02-09-2006, 11:50 PM
I actually haven't officially signed up for this business. I figure the woman who's running this has enough to do already. But I'm participating none-the-less!

By this time tomorrow, I'll be knitting up a storm!

Jenelle
02-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Ahh... I was thinking of going st st with a garter boarder..

I might do it grannysquare... I'm REALLY debating it.... My mom's friend likes coca-cola... and I was going to stitch coca-cola into it...

I don't know what to do yet... and I have to make up my mind by tomorrow :help:

Pandora
02-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Heya! First post and first KAL here! :D

I'm a dual Yarn-lete this year--doing both the knit and crochet olympics! In knitting, I'm doing my first-ever sweater of any kind--the "Howl" dog sweater from "Stitch n' Bitch" for our chihuahua, Zoey. But my tax refund hasn't come yet, so I don't have the yarn! *panic* It had better get here soon! My crochet project is a baby blanket for a friend who's expecting, and I have most, if not all, of the yarn I'll need for that.

The IRS had better live up to its "death and taxes" certainty reputation!

Nice to meet everyone!

Cristy
02-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Yippie...todays the day folks! I am knitting the Irish Hiking Scarf (http://www.helloyarn.com/irishhikingcarf.htm). It'll be my first shot at cables. After checking out videos on how to do it..I'm thinking that it looks pretty easy so I'm thinking the challenging part will be getting it finished on time since I think I knit pretty slowly. I am about to get away fromt his stinkin computer and go swatch a little...

nicolethegeek
02-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Heya! First post and first KAL here! :D
Welcome Pandora! Congrats on being a bi-athlete! Even though 99% of what I've been working on lately is knitting, crochet is my first love. I'm sure you'll love KH as much as I do. I've only been here about 3 months, and I already feel like I've been here forever... family and all that! ;) :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
02-10-2006, 09:06 PM
And it begins...here is the beginning of my sock for the KO!

http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/55851759-M.jpg

Julie
02-10-2006, 11:13 PM
I'm 4" into my first sweater! :cheering: (I'm making two :shock: )

boyforpele13
02-10-2006, 11:20 PM
i have done nothing on mine except come to the realization that intarsia is over my head! i guess it's a good thing though because the project is pretty small and probably wouldnt' have been a challenge otherwise. i have given up for today. GO TEAM! ;)

sogrammatical
02-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Well I'm into the third increase section (out of 7) for my clapotis. And I love the pattern. It's simple enough that it doesn't take my full concentration and I can knit it quickly, but it's got enough going on that I'm not getting bored.

I've never made anything this big before. Also, it calls for far more stitch markers than I actually have, and since I really dislike using loops of yarn, I've started grabbing whatever's handy from around my desk, and I've got some pretty strange objects hanging on my knitting needle.

knitbebe
02-11-2006, 01:42 AM
I would like to participate.

I don't have details --just a simple goal to knit my 1st pair of socks using two circs.

thanks,
knitbebe
(rowan)

earthchick
02-11-2006, 08:06 AM
WTG, everyone! Jan, love the pic - lookin' good!

I've got the 8 rounds of ribbing done on my first sock, along with about 2 inches of the stockinette (will do 8" to heel). It's so much fun - and I :heart: working with the Malabrigo!

horve1
02-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Go Team!!! You're looking good!
This is fun. Starting my booga, bass-ackwards, with the Icord. 1/2 done with that.
Go Team!!!

mintdee
02-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Good job everyone! I got 3 rows knit on the pocket part of my bag. Pink is very bright :roflhard: I will post pics once I get into the name part. :thumbsup:

butterflymama
02-11-2006, 01:03 PM
The kids are sniffiliy so I have not gotten much done.

I think I have maybe 1/4 inch of the first 8 inch ribbing done on my sock. Tis life with 2, 2 and under.

Oh and I have admit this funny story. So, I cast on and divide my stitches and just start knitting on my 3 separate needles....never joining. So then I think, Shouldn't these be joined? :?? :doh:

:roflhard:

So, I ripped and started over and they are all happily joined. Can I claim lack of sleep again? Yeah, I didn't think so...but I swear I am not this much of an idiot for non knitting things. :lol:

Jan in CA
02-11-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm doing my socks by Magic Loop. How are you all doing them?

butterflymama
02-11-2006, 02:18 PM
I am using dpns with Silvers tutorial. I wanted to learn how to use dpns and I just started knitting like 3 weeks ago so I thought it was a good match and challenge for me.

Next I want to learn the magic loop method! :D

earthchick
02-11-2006, 03:49 PM
I'm using good 'ol dpns. I don't yet have the guts to try Magic Loop (plus I actually kinda like dpns).

earthchick
02-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Oh, here's a pic of my progress. I'm just doing a round or two here and there, as things are busy here this weekend, but I am hoping for some quality knitting time tomorrow afternoon....

Jan in CA
02-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Ohhhh! I'm loving that color, Stacey! :inlove: It's going to be a beautiful sock!

earthchick
02-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks, Jan! :D

I'm knitting these as a gift for my administrative assistant, who turns 30 on Feb. 26. I asked her favorite color, and she said periwinkle. This was the closest I found in Malabrigo - I hope she's going to like them!

Jan, I'm very impressed to see that you are doing your first pair of socks in Magic Loop! HOw do you like it so far?

Jenelle
02-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Beautiful yarn Stacy!!

I casted on last night 12 hours after the flame was lit :rofling:

I got two rows done so far :happydance:

Jan in CA
02-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks, Jan! :D
Jan, I'm very impressed to see that you are doing your first pair of socks in Magic Loop! HOw do you like it so far?

Oh I love it! When I tried DPNs I had a heck of a time with ladders at the joins and even when I didn't it just didn't look right to me. I am not have any problems at all with magic loop! I did the top of my last hat with it, too! :)

BTW...Your administrative asst. should love them!

Andrea
02-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Stacey, what size DPN are you using? I think I may have found another use for the gorgeous Malabrigo I just bought!

earthchick
02-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Andrea, I'm using size 7s.

Jan, I may just have to give Magic Loop a try. I've got a little book on it but have never given it a go.

knitbebe
02-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Joined the Kal last night (midnight!)after mulling it over-- I decided that although my book "socks soar on 2 circs" didn't come in--I would at least get organized. I Went to lys for a quick trip--just to pick up needles and stayed 31/2 hrs.!! Had a ball trying out 3 different sets of needles and some sock yarn.

So I decided to knit Classic sock pattern from Heartstone knits in Sockatta(sp?) on size 2 circulars. I have never knit socks, nor used a size 2 needle and the working on 2 circs. is new!

I have c.o. (gulp :rollseyes: ) 4 times. I'm gettting better--it's still a little confusing to figure out what needle I'm suppose to working with. My goal is a pair of socks (my be a pair of footies :oops:). No matter the outcome I'll be a pro at knitting socks on circulars.

good luck to all "game" knitters!
knitbebe

Julie
02-12-2006, 12:22 AM
I've finished the front and back up to the armholes, and the front yoke of my sweater. :D Gotta love kids' sweaters...

Jenelle
02-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Wow you got a lot done Julie!! :shock:

Is that all you plan on doing??

Cristy
02-12-2006, 12:25 AM
I didn't get off to the start I had wanted and ended up changing projects...(they let olympians change events, right??) but now things are going pretty well. I picked a much larger project (a blanket instead of a scarf) but I think I'll be glad that I did. I picked up the Knit along with Debbie Macomber--The Shop on Blossom Street book and decided to try baby blocks blanket. It's fairly simple in pattern--my challenge is getting such a large project completed on time.

Julie
02-12-2006, 02:11 AM
Jenelle, I'm doing two things -- the sweater and a coat, from the same book. :D

Jan in CA
02-12-2006, 02:33 AM
Holy cats, Julie!! :shock: You are a regular knitting machine! It's gorgeous!

knitbebe
02-12-2006, 03:03 AM
Jan, I'm also knitting socks ~are you using dpns? Is this your 1st pair?

I'm using 2 circulars (found a tutorial on the internet) to knit my 1st pair of socks.

How is it going?

Game on! :D :cheering:
knitbebe
(rowan)

Jan in CA
02-12-2006, 03:17 AM
Jan, I'm also knitting socks ~are you using dpns? Is this your 1st pair?

I'm using 2 circulars (found a tutorial on the internet) to knit my 1st pair of socks.
How is it going?
(rowan)

Yes, this is my first pair. I'm doing Magic Loop for mine. So far so good...I'm done to the heel shaping now. I can now see the appeal of doing two at a time and after this pair I'm going to try that. How are you doing?

Cristy
02-12-2006, 02:00 PM
I wish you guys who are doing socks luck...I plan to make socks for mother's day for my mom but it'll be my first pair and I plan to do them on 2 circs--I can't wait to see how they all turn out.

I can't believe how quickly some of you are getting though your projects!!

Jenelle
02-12-2006, 05:06 PM
I got some of my blanket done!!! :cheering:

Pictures:

Jan in CA
02-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Pretty blanket, Jenelle!

Here's my sock progress... Knitted in Plymouth Encore in a soft gray on a size 5 -40in circular using Magic Loop. It is goin to be a little big for me, but that's okay. I am going to use them for house socks. Color is off in photo.

http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/56100356-M.jpg

Jenelle
02-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Pretty sock Jan!! :thumbsup: :cheering:

And thank you!!!

knitbebe
02-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Jan,
I can't believe those are your 1st socks :shock:! What pattern are you using? They are beautiful. Now, I'm a little embarrassed at my progress :oops: after seeing yours. I really love using the 2 circs--Not having to worry about needles flying everywhere gives me room to concentrate. My progress has been a bit like a soap opera--elated when I finally caught, devasted when I found a hole, traumatized after trying to squeeze all the rib stitches back on the needle & elated when I got them all abck on the needle.

I have a cuff to show for my effort, but am happy with my progress. I'll post a pix tomorrow--here or on my blog.

Everyone is doing great--bring on the trophies!
knitbebe

Jan in CA
02-12-2006, 10:29 PM
knitbebe..thanks, but mine aren't perfect either! I noticed one small hole or gap where the heel joins the forefoot, but I can live with that. It's awkward trying to do some of these new things when you have no idea what it's going to look like. Now that I know I think it'll be easier on the second sock. I'm using this pattern booklet called Socks! The Next Step (http://www.socksthenextstep.com/). I'm sure you're doing just fine. Can't wait to see a pic!

BTW..who is that on your avatar? I've always wondered.

knitbebe
02-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Keith Urban--He's a country singer. He does have a good voice--but mostly he's easy on the eyes ;)!

After using the 2 circs I totally understand how easy it would be to knit using the magic loop. I'm almost finished with my cuff -so, I'll be starting the heel soon.... I'm going to have to remind myself to breathe.

if all doesn't go well I'll be back here begging for help :pray: .

knitbebe

Andrea
02-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Andrea, I'm using size 7s.

Jan, I may just have to give Magic Loop a try. I've got a little book on it but have never given it a go.

I'm definitely thinking of doing this someday. I'm still knitting my first pair with size 1's...I think 7's would be fun! Is that Silver's pattern or another?

earthchick
02-13-2006, 12:31 AM
Jan, your sock looks great!!!!

Andrea, I am using the Knitting Pure and Simple Beginner's Sock pattern and have Silver's pattern bookmarked for back-up. I just decided I wanted a plain stockinette sock for my first one (instead of ribbed). How are you enjoying working with the size 1s?!?!

Andrea
02-13-2006, 01:38 AM
I like them, but I'm getting annoyed b/c I'm just about to the toe and it seems NEVER ENDING! Then I still have the 2nd one to do :rollseyes: I've been working on them since probably September!! (on and off obviously!) I'll probably forget how to do all the divided and heels and flaps by the time I start the 2nd!

knitncook
02-13-2006, 10:04 AM
My socks are coming along nicely. And, in fact, the way they are going I am going to have to find another project before the Olympics are over! I have the cuff, leg, heel, turn, and gusset finished on the first sock and am about a third of the way down the foot! I have never knit a pair of socks so fast (but then never thought of knitting while watching the Olympics either!!!) I was surprised at how quickly I went through the leg since I am using a chart. My pink ribbons turned out nicely on the first and third repeat, but are a little wonky on the second. It wasn't until I finished the repeat that I realized that I had read half the chart wrong! I've decided to ignore it and press forward. I figure that part of the sock will be scrunched, right? If the second sock turns out that much better than the first I should have enough yarn left to make a third sock and *may* do that. I will say that I don't like this pattern. I don't like patterns that don't keep your stitch counts in check (like how many stitches you are supposed to have after a bunch of decreases or how they are supposed to be arranged on dpn's) This patterns really assumes that you know what you are doing with socks. I would not recommend it as a first time sock for someone.

kemp
02-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Everything looks awesome!

Jan...you said the socks might be too big? Since you're doing top down you can quit on the length any time and if its too wide just to some decreases on the bottom of the foot. They look great...nice pattern.

Julie...you better slow down or we're going to have to put you in the penalty box!

Here is my progress...you can read about my little problems here (http://www.divaknitting.com/blog/?p=251)

earthchick
02-13-2006, 02:57 PM
:inlove: :inlove: Kemp, that's gorgeous!!!

Well, I overshot things a bit and will be frogging an inch before I can proceed with the heel flap (stupidly didn't double-check pattern and I misremember how many inches from CO to flap). Anyway, I am having so much fun with this yarn and this project. I can see how sock-knitting could be very addictive (just when I thought knitting couldn't get any more addictive than it already is!)....

kemp
02-13-2006, 03:11 PM
ooh...love the yarn for your sock. Sock knitting is very addictive!

Andrea
02-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Gorgeous everyone!!! I'm cheering from the sidelines for all of you!! :cheering:

sogrammatical
02-13-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm done with the increases! Now just 156 straight section rows before I start the decreases. Haha that's a terrible way to think about it. I think when I'm done, I'm going to have to calculate the number of stitches I've made. Should be horrifying.

In about 3 rows, I'm going to drop my first stitch! Boy is this exciting. Once I get to that point, I'll probably post a picture.

knitncook
02-14-2006, 09:40 AM
I must be in the speed skating competition because I finished the first sock last night and cast on and got the cuff done for the second! I'm loving having something to do with my hands while I watch the Olympics. I was so nervous last night watching the Chinese pair finish their free program last night. I just know that poor woman was in pain everytime she landed. What a fall!! I'm SO glad that they were able to finish their program and took the silver (although I was secretly hoping that someone would topple the Russians off that gold medal podium. They've been there just too many times.) :)

jessi_9783
02-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Everyone's projects are looking great!!! I meant to say so sooner. I also meant to share these pics yesterday.

Toe:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/jessi_9783/Knitting%202006/WIPs/KO003-vi.jpg

Foot:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/jessi_9783/Knitting%202006/WIPs/KO004-vi.jpg
I know it really doesn't look that much different from the toe.

Heel:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/jessi_9783/Knitting%202006/WIPs/KO005-vi.jpg
Please ignore my ashy knee and look at how the needle looks like an antenna coming off of my left foot.:D

Leg:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/jessi_9783/Knitting%202006/WIPs/KO006-vi.jpg

I guess I should have picked another project because all I have left is the cuff and I will be done with them today. I even had to start over twice. The heel was much harder than I expected. This is the first time I've made two socks on one needle. I absolutely love it! No more having to force myself to make the second sock. No more second sock syndrome. I have been liberated!

Jan in CA
02-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Stacey, your socks are going to be gorgeous! Is that just plain st st? It looks different and really pretty somehow!

Jessi, I love the socks you are making! Now that I'm on my first sock and having to look forward to sock #2 I totally understand the two socks at once and if I ever make another pair I will try that for sure!

DannahK
02-14-2006, 12:07 PM
So far I've finished off two of my "projects" and am about to finish a thrid. Now my big fear is not finishing the Bonnet before the show...

I already posted the pictures in the Whatcha Knitting area... I'll get some pictures of the bonnet up tonight.

mintdee
02-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Everybodies KO projects look great!

I got off to a rocky start with the name (Knitted it backwards :doh: ) but it is coming along swimmingly! I will make the actual bag when this pocket is finished. :thumbsup:

Julie
02-14-2006, 01:44 PM
I finished the back and neck last night...here's hoping there is enough yarn left for the sleeves! :D

Jan in CA
02-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Julie!! :inlove: :inlove: That is just beautiful! Is it for you?

earthchick
02-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Sandra, how adorable!

Julie, that looks great!

Jessi, great job! I'm impressed by the whole two-at-once thing.

Jan, thanks! Yes, it's just st st. The first 8 rds are ribbed and then the rest is st. It is ridiculously easy, and I'm loving how the stockinette shows off the beauty of the yarn.

I've now turned my first heel and have finished the gusset. I feel like I'm in the home-stretch of the first sock. I'm loving these so much that I'm kinda wishing they were for me.

edited to resize pics

earthchick
02-14-2006, 03:36 PM
:blush: Oops, sorry for the ginormous pics. Am not quite sure how to correct and I'm out of time to try right now. Will fiddle with them later....

Julie
02-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Jan, thanks :roflhard: I'm not that fast -- it's probably going to be for my two-year-old, though I haven't completely decided yet. :mrgreen:

knitbebe
02-14-2006, 05:56 PM
I completed the cuff of my sock--moving along nicely. I started the heel and going well or so I thought :rollseyes: . I'm getting this very unattractive stripe that is totally crooked. My 1st instinct is to rip--but I would like you guys to check it out and tell me what you think-- Is this normal, or abnormal. If abnormal any ideas as to what caused this?

I didn't have time to figure out how to resize photo, so placed it on my blog. PLease check out the photo there--you can leave a message there if you like or here.

Blog link is located in my signature.

knitbebe

earthchick
02-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Wheeee! Finished my first sock last night. I'm really pleased with it.

I haven't closed the toe yet b/c I wanted to get some advice first. I'm never fully happy with how things look when I close the top of a hat or mitten, though I think I do it right (or close to right :thinking: ). Any tips on how to make it a smooth, good-looking finish?

knitncook
02-15-2006, 10:01 AM
I love those blue socks!! Great job! I'm about 3/8th's done with my second sock. I got too caught up in men's figure skating last night to pay too much attention to the lacy pattern of my sock or I would be half finished. I can't believe how quickly they are knitting up!

Keep up the good work everyone!

jessi_9783
02-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Stacey, your sock looks really good. The only tip I have to give is when you do Kitchener, keep it loose. After you've done an inch or so go back to the stitches you just did and tighten them up with your tapestry needle by tugging on each loose stitch starting at the beginning and working your way left to where you stopped. Doing this will help you to match the tenison of the other stitches. Here's (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/FEATtheresasum04.html) a great article that explains it much better than me.

Andrea
02-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Stacey--they look FANTABULOUS!! :inlove: :inlove: Great job! Now is one sock=one skein of mmmMalabrigo or 2 socks=one skein??

sogrammatical
02-15-2006, 02:20 PM
That is lovely Stacey! What size needles are you using?

That sock must feel amazing on your foot. The yarn is so soft.

Jan in CA
02-15-2006, 03:41 PM
That looks gorgeous, Stacey! You did such a good job!

I am not happy with mine, it's huge as I expected and I made some booboos, but whatever... It fits DH so I'll go ahead and make the other. I'm about 1 inch into it now. I'll post pics later.

earthchick
02-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks for all the props, folks! The socks do feel really yummy, I can't wait to make a pair for myself! Some questions and answers:

I'm using size 7 needles. The pattern recommends 6 and the yarn recommends 7-9. I first tried 8s and thought I got gauge but then decided to see what I got with the 7s and definitely got gauge.

I think the socks will take a little more than 1 skein. I am done with the ribbing of the 2nd sock and still have a good bit of yarn left from the first skein. The skein has 215 yards and the pattern calls for 230. I think when I make another pair I am going to make them shorter and then should be able to get a pair from just one skein. :happydance:

So Jessi, you would recommend doing kitchener stitch for the toe? (thanks for the link, I'll read it tonight when I get home from work) Is that what most of you do? I just have 8 sts left and the pattern just says weave in the ends. With hats and mittens I just sort of pulled things tight and started weaving; I've never used kitchener stitch to close them off. That could explain why I'm never fully happy with how they look!

Jan, I look forward to seeing your pics. I'm sorry that you aren't happy with them. Have you enjoyed knitting them on the 2 circs?

Jan in CA
02-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Jan, I look forward to seeing your pics. I'm sorry that you aren't happy with them. Have you enjoyed knitting them on the 2 circs?

I'm using one long circ (magic loop method) and yes, that part has been fine. It's easy to do. I used size 5 needles and the yarn is Plymouth Encore so they are rather thick. It is an easy way to get a handle on magic loop and socks though. I have some sock yarn so once I get done with these and get a smaller needle I can try them. I can't believe you are using such big needles and getting such a small gauge!?

jessi_9783
02-15-2006, 04:51 PM
So Jessi, you would recommend doing kitchener stitch for the toe? (thanks for the link, I'll read it tonight when I get home from work) Is that what most of you do? I just have 8 sts left and the pattern just says weave in the ends. With hats and mittens I just sort of pulled things tight and started weaving; I've never used kitchener stitch to close them off. That could explain why I'm never fully happy with how they look!
I've only done Kitchener for all of my cuff down socks. If you have 8 live stitches I don't know have weaving in the ends would work to close it off. Personally, if I were you I would try Kitchener just to see how I'd like it and then weave in my ends.

knitbebe
02-15-2006, 07:03 PM
:thumbsup: Your sock is beautiful! I love that blue & the small ribbing with st.. I wish I had gone with larger needles the size 2 is slow (I'm on my heel flap on sock one :rollseyes: ) Now, after seeing you and Jan's socks I am definitely going to get some larger needles.

You've inspired me to get movin' with the socks.

When I get a little more done, I'll post on my blog--since I can't out how to resize here :oops: .

:XX:
knitbebe

sogrammatical
02-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Well I just dropped the second stitch on my clapotis! And I'm getting pretty close to the end of the first hank of yarn, which means that I'm almost 1/3 done! I've had to slow down a little because my thumbs have been getting a little sore from too much purling. I think I'll wind up the second hank tonight while I watch Project Runway!

nicolethegeek
02-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Well I had to ditch my first event, and start on Booger the 2nd. The new design is working out a lot better, and I'm really pleased with it. The risk of losing my gold medal is more than worth it since I'm so much more happy with the way it's turning out now. I have been posting pics on my blog {link in sig}.

jessi_9783
02-16-2006, 04:03 PM
http://www.informanews.net/IPBforum/style_emoticons/default/yeah.gifhttp://www.informanews.net/IPBforum/style_emoticons/default/yeah.gifhttp://www.informanews.net/IPBforum/style_emoticons/default/yeah.gif I've completed my socks. This pic was taken at 4:30 AM CST this morning. I started them on Friday at 10 PM, I fell asleep and didn't wake up until 9:45 PM, and finished them on Thursday 1 AM.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/jessi_9783/Knitting%202006/FOs/KO007.jpg

I'm going to start another pair for my sister which will take my a lot longer since she has normal size 9 feet.

Jan in CA
02-16-2006, 07:05 PM
I can't take it anymore... I have officially taken myself (disqualify if you will) from the Knitting Olympics. I am NOT having fun and am beyond frustrated. I made one sock and have ripped the needles from the second one. I know I am a perfectionist, and I really tried to just let the little things go and for the most part I did, but it's not fun anymore. It may be the pattern, or the yarn, or just me, but I need to let my blood pressure return to normal and do some mindless knitting on my sweater and a few other simple projects. I feel like such a failure. http://bestsmileys.com/sad/5.gif

Jillle
02-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Awww. Hugs Jan! Don't feel bad, at least you gave it a shot. :thumbsup:

Julie
02-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Jan, you still have 10 days...you just might decide to give it another go. :thumbsup:

knitbebe
02-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Jan,
I've been right where you are since starting. I'm stuck right now, nicole (bless her knitting heart) has been trying to help me get through the gusset.

I cont. to work at it a little bit each day, and am actually amazed at how far I've come & how much I've learned in a short time. So, If I don't get my trophy I'll be disappointed--but, only slightly since I know that without the push I would never have made it this far--nor been so brave!!

You've done an amazing job, so pat yourself on the back. You've learn to knit socks!!

Give it a couple of days & see how you feel. In the meantime do some seriously mindless or fun knitting. I pulled my hourglass out (and talked to her very nicely--& apologized for calling her boring) and knitted around & around til' my hearts content. Speaking of which, I think I'll take hg out of the bag & get to work :happydance: .

:thumbsup:
knitbebe
(rowan)

knitncook
02-18-2006, 11:39 AM
MY SOCKS ARE DONE!!!! Woo hooo!! I can't believe I did it in half the time and I was sweating that I wouldn't be able to get both done in 16 days. I will admit that some of the design came out a bit wonky, but all scrunched up like they are on my legs you can't really see, so I'm not sweating it. Now I need to make a pair of socks for a friend of mine who is very sick and need to design the little hats for the compassionate knitting project.

Oh and Jan, go knit something else and then come back to the sock. Seriously, it will really help to break the tension! You can do it!!! If Lindsey Jacobellis can pick herself up and still manage to silver medal in the snowboard cross then you can still medal in the KO!! Go Jan Go Jan Go Jan!!!! :cheering:

knitbebe
02-19-2006, 12:14 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

way to go!! You gold medalist!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
knitbebe

Julie
02-20-2006, 12:18 AM
No pics yet, because I prefer to take them in natural light (which there isn'tmuch of at 10 p.m.!) but I just finished the first of my two olympic sweaters! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

earthchick
02-20-2006, 04:15 PM
WTG all you gold medalists! :cheering:

I finished my socks today and am quite happy with them. The only thing I don't like is that they are looser in the instep than I would prefer. Am not sure how that happened. Otherwise, I'm really, really happy with them - and proud of myself for doing them!

Andrea
02-20-2006, 06:19 PM
They look great and have inspired me to use my mmmmm Malabrigo as socks too! Thank you! (I do have to get that pattern though!!)

:heart: the kitty in the background---looks so enthused!! :rofling:

horve1
02-20-2006, 07:43 PM
:D Finished my booga!!! Pretty happy with it. I love the yarn and the way it felted, (my first time felting), and the size it wound up. Wish I could figure out how to show a picture. Some day I'll have to get my DD or DS to help with that. :oops:

knitbebe
02-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Your socks are beautiful! great job.

Nicolethegeek,
I ordered "socks soar on circs." from knitpicks!! yeepee! All the work I did & all the help I got will come in handy for my new socks~~

To all the medal winners :thumbsup: Display your medal with pride 'cause you earned it!!! :cheering:

knitbebe
(rowan)

http://rowanknittingbliss.blogspot.com
I posted one of paintings on my site, no knitting right now, but nice painting! :D

earthchick
02-20-2006, 09:33 PM
KK, I moved the cat - who was sleeping where I wanted to sit - so I could take this pic. Judging from her expression, I believe her exact thoughts are:
"Feh. For this I had to move?"

Julie, I can't wait to see pics of the sweater!

horve, congrats on the booga bag! I'd love to see pics!

knitbebe
02-21-2006, 01:07 AM
earthchick,
I noticed that you are working on the capelet. I love that pattern--I started some time ago but, didn't like the yarn. i had some problems with getting yo to line up, I think my stitches just jumped my marker, other than that a fun one to knit!

knitbebe
(rowan)

jessi_9783
02-21-2006, 04:43 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Your socks look great, Stacey! Bravo!!!

mintdee
02-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Everybodies stuff is looking Mahvolous! :thumbsup:

I am nearing the end of my bag. The pocket is done, bag is done, almost done with the handle then all that is left is the felting! :cheering: I will take a pic soon :)

mintdee
02-22-2006, 10:47 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :happydance:
I am DONE! Finished the bag last night felted and all. Sara was so excited that she took it to school still rather damp :roflhard: So when she gets home I will get a picture of it up for everyone. There are a few things that I would do differently but it is my very first made up as I go along bag so I am offically cutting myself some slack. :thumbsup:

sogrammatical
02-22-2006, 10:20 PM
I was really stalled on my clapotis, but I got a new circular needle today because I've been having trouble with the stitches not fitting all on the straight needle I've been using, and wow! It has made such a difference! I'm knitting so much faster because it's no longer awkward to hold and the needles themselves are faster and lighter. I'm almost half done!

I realized earlier this week that I'm not going to finish in time, but I'm still going to put in a good effort. It's an enormous project and I'm still amazed at how much I've done in such a short amount of time.

earthchick
02-23-2006, 09:15 AM
:cheering: Yay, Sandra! I can't wait to see pics!

WTG, Lisa. I'll look forward to seeing the FO when you're done!

mintdee
02-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Lisa- That is a good attitude to have! Just keep working at it and I will need to see pictures when you are finished!

Okay I got the bag away from my daughter long enough to take pics. Here is the FO!!! :happydance:

jessi_9783
02-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Sandra, I love that bag!!! Great Job!

Jan in CA
02-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Sandra...did you make two bags or is it reversible? Or is it two colors on the outside? It's beautiful and I'm sure your daughter loves it!

mintdee
02-23-2006, 02:01 PM
It is only one bag done in tulip, the bottem is double strand pink and purple. The problem is that there is no great light source in my house thoes pics were taken in two different places :doh: hehehehe Thanks for the complements!

Andrea
02-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Very nice Sandra! Is that a pattern or did you wing it?

earthchick
02-24-2006, 09:16 AM
Oh, wow, Sandra, that is AWESOME! You did a great job. Your dd has a great mom! :thumbsup:

Julie
02-26-2006, 08:27 PM
I'M DONE

...with a whole freaking three yards of yarn to spare. THAT was scary. :shock:

I'll have pics and stuff up on my blog later tonight...I just had to say that, lol

VickiIL
02-26-2006, 09:08 PM
I FINISHED! I managed to weave in my last end at midnight last night. Madison tried it on this morning and IT FIT!

kemp
02-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Everything is so awesome! I'm proud of all us "knitletes".

Here is my Diamond Fantasy shawl blocking...lots of mistakes (I'm a little reluctant sharing the pic, but I accepted the fact there were mistakes from the beginning), but learned a lot and finished a little ahead of time. More HERE (http://www.divaknitting.com/blog/?p=254)

sogrammatical
02-27-2006, 09:59 PM
I, unfortunately, am not done. But I think I did a pretty good job anyway, seeing as I'm about half done on a really huge project, and I was interupted by some serious hand pain.

I'll take pictures of where I am so far tomorrow and post them!

kemp
02-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Sorry to hear about your hand pain! Seems there was quite a bit of that going around by the end of the games.

jessi_9783
02-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Vicki, the sweater looks great. I love the heart. Cheryl, the shawl is beautiful. As for the mistakes, I don't see any. :D

nicolethegeek
03-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Well I got gold for my booger. I've got a pic up on this thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10064), and full event details at my blog (http://nicolethegeek.blogspot.com).