PDA

View Full Version : OT - Hobby Lobby called me

sfavereau
02-06-2006, 02:43 PM
I applied at one of the Hobby Lobby's in Colorado Springs about a month ago and they called me today... I haven't worked retail in YEARS! LOL

I've been working in IT for 6 years and I got so fed up with it that I quit and moved to Colorado Springs from southern California. I've just been doing some minor work helping out my old employer the last couple of weeks. We really don't need the income at this time, but I'm wondering if the employee discount will be worth it! :lol:

gardenmommy
02-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Kewl! What department do they want you to work in?

My brother and SIL live in Colorado Springs too!

kemp
02-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Fun! How much is their discount?

sfavereau
02-06-2006, 03:29 PM
I don't know! That's going to be one of MY questions during my interview today.

2girlsmom
02-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Good luck!!!

Amber
02-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Awesome! When my boys start school, I'm thinking about trying to get a job in a LYS or someplace like Michael's just to help off-set the costs of my addiction...er, I mean hobby! ;)

Good luck with the interview!

nicolethegeek
02-06-2006, 04:39 PM
When my boys start school, I'm thinking about trying to get a job in a LYS or someplace like Michael's just to help off-set the costs of my addiction...er, I mean hobby! ;)
My 10% staff discount at WM gets a major workout in the craft department... as well as the housewares dept. where I get all my Rubbermaid bins to store stash, supplies and WIPs!!! Plus I get nearly first dibs on all clearance yarns too... no additional discount on those, but it was how I could afford my top out of RH Casual Cot'n! ;)

sfavereau
02-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Hi everyone!

Well, I'm back from my interview! I think it went very well! I am supposed to give them my answer on Wednesday. Does that mean they'll hire me if I want the job???? LOL

They want to put me in the fabric dept, since I am also a quilter. That would be the absolute best!

The employee discount is 15% (on top of any other discount or clearance price)! That rules!

Anyway, I'm going to think about it and make sure it's something I really want to do. I have a feeling it would be fun, though!

mailgirl
02-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Why not try it! If you don't like it you can quit!

nanonette
02-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Sounds like a great gig!! Congrats!! :thumbsup:

sfavereau
02-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Why not try it! If you don't like it you can quit!

That's what DH said! :D Besides, I can buy some needles and yarn if I work there. ;)

vcuchica931
02-07-2006, 01:49 AM
Congradulations! Have you decided whether or not you are going to work there? I bet you'll love it!

Cristy
02-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Congrats--that sounds awesome!

sfavereau
02-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Well, guys... After careful consideration, I have decided not to take the job. I just can't handle giving up my "freedom" for just over minimum wage. It would really cut into my knitting and quilting time, so I had to turn it down. If I got 30 hours/week, I'd make $180/week. That's just not worth it, unfortunately... :(

brendajos
02-08-2006, 02:19 PM
well i must confess i am kind of glad to hear it. as much as i love shopping at hobby lobby the people who work there just don't seem happy and are often downright cranky and unhelpful (at least at the ones I go to.)

I was going to suggest that you go and just wander around watching the people who work there before you decided but they were making you hurry up and decide. glad you made a decision that you will actually be happy with! :thumbsup:

now if my LYS offered me a job of just feeling up the yarn at the rate i get at my p/t job (which does not pay me to feel up yarn sadly!) i would take it in a heartbeat!!! :rofling:

Jenelle
02-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Well, guys... After careful consideration, I have decided not to take the job. I just can't handle giving up my "freedom" for just over minimum wage. It would really cut into my knitting and quilting time, so I had to turn it down. If I got 30 hours/week, I'd make $180/week. That's just not worth it, unfortunately... :(

That means you are making.... 6 dollars and hour which ISN'T that bad... Maybe you could talk to them about getting more hours??

Also, is that what you are going to start out on? Maybe as time goes by you can get more hours :)

And with more money, you can get more yarn and needles :thumbsup: :rofling:

CarmenIbanez
02-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Wow. That is pretty low actually. Even a place like Starbucks pays over $7 an hour, and you only have to work 20 hours a week to get full benefits!

On the other hand free coffee is not really as good as a discount on knitting supplies!

sfavereau
02-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Yes, it's $6/hr. I can't see making that and being ok with it. I'll just be mad that I could be at home knitting or hiking or anything but being stuck in a store. LOL We don't need the income at this time, and I was going to do it for fun, but somehow I don't think the fun would last. I hate HAVING to do something (anything) at a certain time. Too free spirited for that! DH is ok with me not working now, so I'm going to keep enjoying it!

VictoiseC
02-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Ha, sfav...whew what a spelling.. you sound like me. I keep considering returning to work but when you think of the money you'll bring home from some of these places it isn't worth it! Sounds like it wasn't such a great place after all. :rollseyes:

sfavereau
02-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Ha, sfav...whew what a spelling..

Ok, I need to edit my signature... My name is Stephanie. Favereau is the last name. :D

Yeah, going back to work is never easy, is it? I really thought Hobby Lobby would be fun, but how long would that last? And it's not really fair to the other people who work there if I quit after a few weeks. I know how I've felt after I've spents weeks training someone, only to have them quit.

DH convinced me to try designing some quilted wallhangings to sell on eBay. I'm waiting for my fabric order right now. LOL I'd love to sell knitted things too, but from what I've heard, they just don't sell.

VictoiseC
02-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Favereau like in Jon!!!? :D I think he spells his name Favreau.
You know the actor I'm talking about? Hm now I've forgot the nameof the movie with Vince Vaughn..... mmmmmmmmm

You wouldn't believe how many jobs I had. quit quit quit that's all I did
yikes Well, I was acting also so it was justified!

sfavereau
02-10-2006, 04:02 AM
Yeah, we have the extra "e". LOL Not sure what movie he's in with Vince Vaughn, though. I can only remember the movie Rudy for Jon Favreau. :?? As far as he knows, DH is not related to Jon, although he gets asked a lot.

VictoiseC
02-10-2006, 11:49 AM
SWINGERS! I remembered last night. a very funny movie