PDA

View Full Version : WIP - sweater for an orangutan

earthchick
02-06-2006, 05:28 PM
:shock:

After working feverishly for the past 3 weeks on a sweater for dh for our anniversary this Friday, I finally got to the point where I could join the sleeves and the body (it's knit in the round, bottom-up). After putting the underarm stitches on waste yarn, joining the sleeves and body, and knitting one whole round, I suddenly realized that the sleeves are wayyyyyyyy too long! Not only that, but one sleeve is an inch-and-a-half longer than the other. :rollseyes: I could totally cry. :crying:

So I spent half an hour this morning unknitting the round and putting the sleeves back on waste yarn. I'm going to be doing some frogging but first I need to do some analyzing and recalculating. I can't quite figure out what went wrong, so I'm going to count all rows on both sleeves, compare to each other and then compare to the pattern. I had already discovered an error in the sleeve pattern early on, emailed the designer, and got confirmation that it was in error. I thought I had figured out how to fix it, but now I'm thinking I didn't do it right (the pattern had one too many increases and an extra round - but now I'm wondering if it mistakenly had actually had two extra rounds). My gauge was spot on....

:crying: :crying: :crying:

Ingrid
02-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Oh Noooooooo!!! That's too bad. At least you discovered it before the whole thing was knit together.

Amber
02-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Oh no, that totally stinks! I hope you can fix it and get it finished by your anniversary!

DotMom61
02-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Oh, so sorry, Stacey!! It sounds fixable, at least. Good luck getting it to where you want it!!

Jenelle
02-06-2006, 10:42 PM
:( Oh no!! :( I hope you get it done by your anniversary!! :(

mintdee
02-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Awww *HUGS*

:heart:

kemp
02-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Bummer! At least you noticed it in time. The work looks beautiful though, even if the sleeves are a little too long.

Mer
02-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Sorry! At least it's fixable and you noticed now and not when it was all done!

kayeknit
02-07-2006, 03:16 PM
SORRY! :( Good luck with your repairs. :XX:

mailgirl
02-07-2006, 09:56 PM
You'll get it fixed! mistakes happen to everyone! I always have to fix stuff!

earthchick
02-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the sympathy and understanding. I am feeling better about things now - I know I'll get it fixed, I just don't know if it'll be in time, but that'll be okay too. As long as it ends up being a nice sweater, it's okay if it's not ready on the 10th.

I still can't figure out what happened to make the sleeves so long, but I'm letting it go and am just adjusting them to be the right length and width, and then I'm moving forward.

:frog: :frog: :frog:

:XX: :XX: :XX:

Will post pics when it's all patched up.

Lady M
02-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Stacy,

I am proud of you for not giving up and being determined to fix that sweater. I know how excited you were to start making it for your DH and I am sure that your personal adjustments will not only make the sweater fit better, but will be an original from your own needles. Hang in there and Knit On !!!

Hugs

Anne

Cristy
02-09-2006, 09:00 PM
that stinks...keep us posted on how things go...