PDA

View Full Version : How many knitting needles do you own?

catontheroof
02-08-2006, 03:01 AM
I'm new knitter, I wonder....
How many needles do you have (are you beginner/advanced knitter)?

The thing is, when I read about gauge, it says 'change needles to obtain gauge'... it makes me wonder 'wow, then we knitters have to own almost every needles possible'. Except that around my area there arent many craft shops, and the needles arent that cheap. If I have to buy new needles size everytime I find a pattern I like... whoa, no way.

Do you have any tips? Maybe you substitute the yarn, or you figure your own gauge, or something like that? I'm new to knitting so... forgive me for asking obvious questions :P

How many needles do you think knitters should have?

Debbie
02-08-2006, 07:05 AM
Proud to say ... too many to count ... Carol ... is that why you went into "the business" ????? :)

jessi_9783
02-08-2006, 07:31 AM
That's one of the best reasons to get an interchangeable set like the Denise's (http://www.knitdenise.com/about.cfm) or Boye's (http://www.wrights.com/products/catalog/boyeline/knitmates_accs.htm). I rarely get the same gauge as the designer so having the the Denise set has be invaluable to me. There's a whole thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2062) on the pros and cons of each set.

As for your question, I've been a knitter since May 2005 and I have a both a Denise set, a Boye set that I hate, and 6 Addi Turbo's ranging in sizes US 000 to 4.

Jax3303
02-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Here's what I have.

I have straights, sizes 3, 6, 8, 10, and 19
DPN's: sizes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10.5
circs: (multiples of each) 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, 10.5, 13
and I have a set of denise interchangables. :heart:

KellyK
02-08-2006, 08:34 AM
You are going to sadly limit yourself if you limit your needle collection. Do it a little bit at a time....they are purchases you will only have to make once! Its an investment!

I have two sets of Denise Interchangeables
Several circs in sz 2-4
DPNs in 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 10.5, 11, 13.

Im waiting for my LYS to get sz 4 & 8 DPNs in, and then my collection will be complete! And then Ill RULE THE WORLD!!! BWAA HA HA HAAAAAAA! :shifty:

Ingrid
02-08-2006, 08:42 AM
The last time I counted I think I had over 65 circs. I've gotten more Addis' since then, though, because I don't want to knit with anything else.
As Kelly said, I consider them a one-time investment--they will last me for years and years, and I never have to wait because I don't have the right needle size. I also have straights in every size, but don't use them too often. I have dpns, but I don't use them that often either--I generally use two circs when I can--but I probably have most of the smaller sizes, anyway.

Cristy
02-08-2006, 08:54 AM
I have the Boye Needlemaster set and about 6 or 8 different sizes/lengths of straights. I have a couple of sets of dpns but don't use them regularly. I own one cable needle. :)

NinaT
02-08-2006, 10:26 AM
I made a chart on the computer (is that geeky or what?) of all the needles I have. I carry it with me so I can fill in the gaps whenever I have a coupon or there's a sale. The problem for me is that the chain stores (Michael's, Joann's Walmart) around here don't carry double pointeds or circulars or if they do they don't have the smaller sizes. I love having lots of needles because then I can start a project anytime without having to wait and go to the store!

kitkat
02-08-2006, 10:33 AM
I started in Dec 2004, and have acquired quite a stash:

Various straights in bamboo and metal
Various dpns in wood and acrylic? (bryson)
Denise set
Boyes set (which I also don't like)
A few Addi's.

My biggest suggestion is: EBAY! Many of my needles came from Ebay - alot of times there will be huge lots of needles sold.

Also make use of your Joann's and Michael's 50% off coupons.

Unfortunately these are the tools of the trade - you gotta have them in all different sizes, and often in multiples of the same size.

Jaycee
02-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I started knitting in November and am having lots of fun! I picked up a ton of knitting needles (mostly straight ones) at Deseret Industries (like Goodwill). They were in great condition, cost about .35 per pair and now I have every size. It has helped me experiement with various needle sizes, yarns and stitch patterns to see what happens to the final fabric. I've made about 5 hats and 15 scarves and lots of swatches (I like to experiement) since November. I kind of want to make a sweater now and have also been experimenting with Iris Schirer's (sp?) modular knitting. I have also been adding Addi Turbos to my needle collection abiet slowly! I also learned to knit from this site. Everyone laughed when I sat in front of the computer with the needles and yarn and watched how to cast on over and over to figure it out. It was a great way to learn to knit because it doesn't make you feel as dumb as having to ask a person to show you the same thing over and over and it's available 24/7! I love this web site.

AnreeAce
02-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Well, I just went rooting through my desk to track down my straight needles. (One of these days I'll have to get a needle roll!) Anyway, I've got sizes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (two pairs), and 10.

Truthfully I haven't used them much in a while, not since I got my Boye set. It's got every size I've needed so far, they're easier on my hands and wrists, and I feel like I'm knitting twice as fast.

That said, I still gaze covetously at the Addi's at my LYS, and I don't have any DPN's or bamboo (looks over shoulder for DH) yet.

I think it's just a question of having the tools of the trade so you can get started whenever the fancy strikes you. You don't have to get them all at once (gotta eat now and then), just pick up a pair here and there when you can. You won't regret it when you find yourself dying to start a project at 3 am and you just happen to need a pair of 2's.

Or do we all just love to shop?

Carol_OH
02-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Proud to say ... too many to count ... Carol ... is that why you went into "the business" ????? :)

errr yeah!!

:oops:

heheee!

CarmenIbanez
02-08-2006, 12:47 PM
I think when I started I had 5, 7 and 8. Pretty common sizes. But then I became a knitting freak and now I have so many I can't even carry them around. In fact, it is easier to carry around my Boye Needlemaster than to carry the container that has all my other needles in it. :-)

Jan in CA
02-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Save your pennies, nickles, dimes, whatever currency you use and get a set of interchangeables! After that you will only need to buy them occasionally for sizes the set doesn't include.

I have Denise Interchangeables and several single circs and straights.

If you can't find a local store can you buy online? It's often cheaper anyway unless the shipping is very high.

kitkat
02-08-2006, 01:40 PM

errr yeah!!

:oops:

heheee!

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yeah (in my best "office space" voice)...

That isn't what you told ME, Carol! You told me that you started because you had a certain, shall we say, style of needle you liked??????? (style being a color......................)

(ducks)

Jan in CA
02-08-2006, 01:44 PM
[

That isn't what you told ME, Carol! You told me that you started because you had a certain, shall we say, style of needle you liked??????? (style being a color......................)

(ducks)

:roflhard: :roflhard: That's what I heard, too. Carol just LOVES certain colors which shall remain unnamed. ;)

It's okay, Carol...I like that color, too. ;)

Jenelle
02-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Straights = 2,3,4,5,6,7,9,11,13,15
Circulars = 8, 13
DPN's = 9,10

I'm slowly getting there :lol:

Carol_OH
02-08-2006, 01:58 PM
hahahaaa! Yeah, but to get those certain color needles I usually had to buy a bunch of them at once to get one or two pink needles! So I ended up with a ton I didn't use!

:rofling: :rofling:

Yes, I am a weirdo!!! :blush:

brightspot
02-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Are you ready? I have:

Straights size: 1, 2 (2sets), 3, 4, 5, 6 (2sets), 7, 9, 10 (2sets), 10.5 (2sets), 11 (2sets), 13, 15, 17

Dpns size: 0000, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (4sets), 9, 10, 10.5

Circulars size (of diffent lengths): 1, 2, 4 (2pairs), 5 (2pairs), 6, 7,8, 9, 10

1 Denise set (hoping to get another for my anniversary)

Does anyone else notice that I have no size 8 straight needles of any kind? I also want to get another set of size 3 dpns. As you can see I am needle poor, but I use them all eventually. :shock:

kschmitz
02-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Definitely check Ebay. I got a sweet collection of bamboo needles at a great discount (about $4/pair including shipping). 36 pairs total, 12 each in straight, DPN, and circs in sizes 2-11. I had a few pairs of aluminum needles in mid-range sizes (6-13). Love the bamboo needles!

Eventually I'll invest in the Denises. It just makes sense to me to have a compact, versatile set like them or the Boyes.

Other places to find needles are Goodwill and yard/estate sales. You really don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent set! Keep looking, and take your time. :D

countingsheep
02-08-2006, 03:34 PM
OK, I've been missing for a LONG time due to... well, never mind that!

I just had to comment on this one because... not only am I a yarn junkie, I am also a needle junkie! I love knitting needles - all kinds, all sizes, all lengths... knitting needles in general!

I started with metal Bates needles from Wal-Mart and eventually had almost every size from 6 to 13. Those started bothering my hands so I got some Lion Brand needles - 9, 10, 11, 12. Then I discovered bamboo and went all out with those - size 5 to 12 (I think?). After that... I started finding these beautiful other wood needles - birch, ebony, rosewood... Well, you get the idea.

I love finding interesting wooden needles at various LYS and will buy them because they're pretty or interesting - some I've never even used but like the way they looked. I also read posts here and go... "Ohh, gotta get some of those needles to try them out" which is really bad!

It's a sickness. Unfortunately, my DH is an enabler and will buy wooden needles that HE finds interesting. (He's a keeper!) Basically, I don't really know what I've got.

Great thread, by the way!

Angela

kschmitz
02-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Definitely check Ebay. I got a sweet collection of bamboo needles at a great discount (about $4/pair including shipping). 36 pairs total, 12 each in straight, DPN, and circs in sizes 2-11. I had a few pairs of aluminum needles in mid-range sizes (6-13). Love the bamboo needles!

Eventually I'll invest in the Denises. It just makes sense to me to have a compact, versatile set like them or the Boyes.

Other places to find needles are Goodwill and yard/estate sales. You really don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent set! Keep looking, and take your time. :D

Carol_OH
02-08-2006, 05:26 PM
check ME out too!

;)

www.taraknit.com

:D

knittingparrot
02-08-2006, 07:25 PM
I have about 14 different sizes, but way more!(I have certain amounts of needles that are the same size.) :X: I also have size 50 knitting needles!

bjc1050
02-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Probably too many to count.

Several straight needles purchased over the years from G.C. Murphy, Memco, Super Giant, and McCrory's...dating myself, lol, YOU guess the age.

Just started using circulars last fall. Now have many lengths and sizes of them 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 15.

Recently purchased DPNs 5,6,7, 8, 9.

Also, recently purchased the Boye Needlemaster set and wish I had purchased it years ago, although I really like the Susan Bates circulars. The Denise interchangeable set looks tempting, too. Don't know that I can justify buying them.

KNITBIT
02-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Ok.....ummm...needles?! Did someone say needles? :eyebrow:

I have a Denise set, and Boye set...

Bamboo (Clover):
straight- sz 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19
straight 9" - sz 6, 11
circular- sz 8- 29", 8 - 16"
dpn 7" - sz , 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (2 sets), 8

Susan Bates:
Sock set sz 000, 00, 0, 1
straight - sz 17
Crystallites 9" - sz 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 11, 13, 15

Boye:
cable set
straight 14" - sz 5, 6, 10, 10.5, 11
straight 10" - sz 6
dpns - sz 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (2 sets), 8

Bryspun:
dpns 5" - sz 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
dpns 7.5" - sz 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Brittanys:
cable set
dpns 5" - sz 1, 2, 3, 4 , 6, 5, 7, 8
dpns 7.5" - sz 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Whew... :shifty:
Heehee..... Needles, gotta love'em :inlove:

KNITBIT :rofling:

On the needles: socks
Reading: "For Laci" a mother's story of love, loss, and justice

kitkat
02-08-2006, 11:18 PM

But your OUR weirdo and we love ya! And I like certain colorsbetterthan otherstoo.....

Oh and Knitbit, you are TOTALLY my hero! Wowza!

KNITBIT
02-09-2006, 01:17 AM

But your OUR weirdo and we love ya! And I like certain colorsbetterthan otherstoo.....

Oh and Knitbit, you are TOTALLY my hero! Wowza!

Awww, Kitkat....... :blush: geee, thx! hehee.....I know I have a bit of an needle problem/obsession....But....Ok, I can't help myself!!!!! :shock: Wait...isn't the first step..admitting there is a problem? LOL! :roflhard:

Neways.....

LOL, the other night my dh and I were watching a movie and I was dozing off... :zzz: ...but just for a mere milli-second...(i began to have a dream..) At one moment I seen the actors in the movie, etc., the next...(my eyes were closed and I seen some double pointed wood needles...!?!?!?? :drooling: I was like, "what the ???" "Did I see some nice wood dpns??" :?eyebrow: It was a flash...then BOOM back to the movie. Hmmm...that was odd.. :shock:

KNITBIT :rofling:

On the needles: Socks
Reading: "For Laci" a mother's story of love, loss, and justice

Nana
02-09-2006, 02:39 AM
I too am a knitting needle junkie. My Grammy taught me how to knit when i was about seven year's old. I'm 47 now. I still fondly remeber how she would cast on (which seemed about a hundred stiches ) for me in the morning, and by the end of the day I would have about two, maybe three stiches left. But she always told what a great job I was doing. Holes and all. When Gram passed I aquired all her needles. They are all plastic. It amazes me how she made such beuitful thing's , on such awful needles...But they are special to me. But yes , over the year I have bought just about every size needle you can think of. My prob. is I never knit one thing at a time. I have right now three thing's on the needles. So some sizes I have two , maybe three sets of. And I 'm not even going to talk about the circular. :oops: Karen

catontheroof
02-09-2006, 06:35 AM
Wow! :shock: I left this thread overnight and it's already flooded! So cool

What's interchangable set? I guess it's a set of needles rite? whoa never heard of that before O_o guess my local craft stores just that suck lol
Yea I'm guessing there are needles that's sold as sets, just never seen one around my area :( Maybe I'll try ebay like everyone suggests... Cuz having just TWO needles sizes just plain frustrating :( I'm gonna try the craft store on the other side of the town maybe this weekend... *cross fingers* wish me luck...

I have lots of chopsticks lying around (cuz I eat Chinese food a lot) and I'm thinking about making knitting needles from them. Any idea how to make the surface smooth?
Have anyone tried this before?

All your needles collections are amazing! :notworthy: I bow to all of you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Master! I pledge myself to your teachings! :mrgreen: lol

Ingrid
02-09-2006, 08:51 AM
If you go to the Basic Techniques--more tab above, there are instructions for making your own needles.

Interchangeable sets have different sized points that you can attach to different length cords to make the size you need. There is an entire thread of this in the general knitting section.

Carol_OH
02-09-2006, 02:06 PM
But your OUR weirdo and we love ya!

*beams* :D

Jenelle
02-09-2006, 02:16 PM
I have lots of chopsticks lying around (cuz I eat Chinese food a lot) and I'm thinking about making knitting needles from them. Any idea how to make the surface smooth?
Have anyone tried this before?

I always do that. Take left over chopsticks and recycle them into DPN's!! Just take a pencil sharpener(the size of the hole should be about the size of the chopstick), sharpen the tip that you eat off of(or both sides for DPN's), then take a piece of sand paper and sand it until its smooth. I used a nail file also, so maybe you could try both to see which one works for you. If you are only going to make straights, glue a big bead or something like that on the end so that your work doesn't fall off.

And there you have it.... A DPN or a Straight needle :thumbsup:

catontheroof
02-10-2006, 02:18 AM
If you go to the Basic Techniques--more tab above, there are instructions for making your own needles.

:doh: of course!! Thanks...

Jenelle, thanks for the tips! Yay, can't wait to try it!! :cheering:
... now if only I could find that pencil sharpener under the mess that is my desk.... lol

I've just found that being a knitter doesnt only mean being a yarn junkie... but also a needle junkie... lol so glad I decided to learn how to knit... didnt thought it'd be this exciting (AND addictive... :mrgreen:)

TamaraKnits
02-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Ooh I love this thread. There is something about knitting that just brings out the collector/hoarder/stasher in me. I inherited a lot of needles when my grandmother passed away and love buying new needles and yarn of course! I actually keep an inventory of my yarn and my needles in my knitting notebook to prevent at least some excess purchasing.

I love the post a while back about collecting needles of a certain color - I hadn't thought about that! I am addicted to purple and if I found purple needles they would go home with me immediately!

Anyway the collection:

Straights: size (length")
1 (10"), 2 (10"), 3 (14"), 4 (14"), 5 (14"), 6 (14"), 7 (7"), 8 (7"), 9x2 (9"), 10 (9"), 10 1/2 (9"), 11x2 (9", 14"), 13 (9"), 15x2 (9"), 17 (9")

All are either aluminum or plastic - I don't use straight needles much actually I prefer doing almost everything on circulars...

1 Denise Set

Circulars: (other than the denise set) size (length")
2x2 (16"), 3 (24"), 5 (29"), 7 (29"), 8x2 (29"), 9 (29"), 10 (29"), 11 (29"), 15 (29")

DPNs (rarely used):
000, 00, 0, 1, 6, 8, 10.5

I am still searching for the perfect small gauge circfulars for my round knitting. I bought 2 size 2 Quicksilvers recently for socks and I really like the tips but don't like the join very much. And one thing I HATE about all non-Denise circs I've tried is the coily cord even after I boil them and try to straighten them.

I'm thinking of purchasing some Bryspuns since the cord supposedly coils less and they are all one piece. I'm also curious about Addi turbos - are they worth the price?

Ingrid
02-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Addis are worth every penny, especially if you hate a stiff or coiled cord. You can take them out of the package and knit--no need to straighten them out.

I :heart: :heart: my Addis!

Jenelle
02-10-2006, 10:07 PM
How do you straighten them out?? My circ's have been used and they still curl!!! :(

Jenelle
02-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Jenelle, thanks for the tips! Yay, can't wait to try it!! :cheering: ... now if only I could find that pencil sharpener under the mess that is my desk.... lol

Hehe no problem :thumbsup: Just make sure that you only do a few at a time or you'll end up with blisters like I did :oops: