PDA

View Full Version : PREEMIE PROJECT <3 <3 <3

*KnitPixie*
02-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Does anyone want to join the Preemie project? I am a member and I was wondering if anybody would want to join this free charity and become a volunteer. If you don't want to join but you would be interested in making either preemie hats, booties, bereavement items, or blankets for babies in need let me know, these preemie hats only take about a 1/2 an hour to make ( because they are so small)and the babies and families are so grateful for them. These donations go to families with preemie babies who are going through a very difficult time ( free of charge). Some of these parents get to take their child home with them while others only get to take home the handmade gift you and I make as a memento of the precious baby they lost :( Please email me for details such as measurements, etc. I can be contacted at KnitPixie624@yahoo.com

It would be so great if anyone could contribute just a little bit of time.. there are a lot of great knitters here if every one or a good amount of people here just made one little preemie hat per person we could make a drastic difference in the lives of soo many people.

Come on fellow knitters please help us make a difference :XX:

Jenelle
02-08-2006, 04:14 PM
I can join. I have a knifty knitter set now and it only takes me a half hour to make something on it.

I'll join in :)

*KnitPixie*
02-08-2006, 04:39 PM
If you want to join preemie project you have to give me your name and email address you can email it to me through my yahoo account KnitPixie624@yahoo.com and we will discuss measurements etc

Jenelle
02-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Okay. :)

Jan in CA
02-08-2006, 06:37 PM
I may consider this, but I've got quite a few projects that need completing first. I'll check back. ;)

*KnitPixie*
02-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Thank you all for your interest in the Preemie Project :D I will always be here and so will the needy babies so if you want to check back with me later that is fine too :thumbsup:

Jenelle
02-09-2006, 02:19 AM
I got one hat done and another one on the way. Hoping to get two done tonight...

I found out that I have tons of soft baby yarn. I also found a dark peach colored yarn that's worsted weight that could be softened a bit whenever it gets washed.

Do you recommend a certain detergent when washing baby items?? Or even drying them?? I don't want to give them an allergic reaction to anything :(

*KnitPixie*
02-09-2006, 02:25 AM
Wow already great job Jenelle :thumbsup: I just finished my second hat for the month and I'm on my third :XX: What does your hat look like? The first one I did was pink with a white pom pom and a rose on the front, the second one I did is white with stripes and a pom pom. The next one will be blue. You can just wash them in plain water and air dry them. Then when you ship them they will be washed by the nurses in the NICU. :cheering: :cheering:

Jenelle
02-09-2006, 02:22 PM
My first hat is yellow, I used three strands and made it on my knifty knitter. I also got done with my second hat on my knifty knitter, and it turned out to be nice, thick, and cute!! It's a dark peach color. I found alot of baby yarns in my stash, that's the old Jamie Lion Brand baby yarns. Really cute colors too. I'll have to take some pictures too :)

Jenelle
02-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Picture time!! :) I got 4 hats done, with another one on the way(my target now is to get 10 made on the knifty knitter and then 5 hand knitted and done up :) ) I only got a picture of three though :(

*KnitPixie*
02-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Jenelle they are absolutely adorable :cheering:

Jenelle
02-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Thank you :) I'm getting further along with them. The yellow one has a pompom now and I'm thinking of doing something cute with the middle one..

I'm making more though.... hopefully they will be good and nice for the babies :)

threePOINTfivvvvve
03-12-2006, 09:35 PM
oh wow... i really wanna do this! me and my twin sister were preemies, so... there's something special about them. =/ i would LOVE to make something... anything in fact... i'll email you.

aylaanne
03-13-2006, 12:43 AM
I've made a teenie preemie hat, the thing is TINY. It takes me a while because I'm using a standard-size pattern on small needles with small yarn, instead of making a smaller pattern. I did a blue one and I'm going to make a pink one. I just have to charge my camera batteries and then I'll take pictures.

*KnitPixie*
03-13-2006, 12:48 AM
I cant believe it!! More people are making things for preemie projects :cheering: aylaanne did you join yet or do you just want to make things? Whatever you want to do is fine with me :thumbsup: I am just curious.

threePOINTfivvvvve
03-13-2006, 08:24 PM
wow... :XX: i made two hats already... the pictures aren't that great... im proud of the hats. it was fun, and it didn't take too long, did them while i was watching TV last night cuz i was so excited... let me know what you think, and when i get to around 5... i'll send em?

threePOINTfivvvvve
03-13-2006, 08:25 PM
:thinking: are my hats too big? :blush:

*KnitPixie*
03-14-2006, 01:01 AM
Your hats are really cute ;) Keep up the good work!! Did you get my message. I pm'd you??? Here is a measurement guideline for the hats and don't worry almost any hat you make will fit some baby ( they come in all shapes and sizes) :lol:

Hat Measurements:

Less than 1lb
Hat circumference
4" to 4.5"
Hat Length (Height)
3.5"

1-3lbs
Hat circumference
8.5" to 9"
Hat Length (Height)
3.5" to 4"

3-5lbs
Hat circumference
11" to 11.5"
Hat Length (Height)
4" to 5"

6-8lbs
Hat circumference
12" to 12.5"
Hat Length (Height)
5" to 6"

9-11lbs
Hat circumference
13" to 14"
Hat Length (Height)
6" to 6.5"

If you have any more questions just ask. I would be more than happy to help :thumbsup:

Jenelle
03-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Wow! I'm glad this thread has been brought back up! :happydance:

I made a few more preemie hats that took hardly no time at all. :)

I'll take and post pictures later.

BettyBea
03-27-2006, 05:51 PM
I have some lovely white baby yarn. (sport or fingering wgt)
What size dpns and how many stitches will
work for the tiny babies and the premies? I have some
fav size 8's I would like to use.

Any suggestions? :heart:

Jenelle
03-27-2006, 07:07 PM
You can look here (http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/preemies.html) Bettybea.

*KnitPixie*
03-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Hi, BettyBea Im so glad you decided to make some stuff for the little babies and their families. White yarn is always good :happydance: its not gender specific and serves as a double purpose because it can be used for bereavement items which are always needed. I would recommend a us size 5 knitting needles or whatever pattern calls for and here is a couple of sites that you can refer to for preemie patterns:
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/preemies.html
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/preemies.php

and here is a bootie pattern I like its simple and is done on straights:
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/michelle-booties.html

Good luck and have fun, and on behalf of the babies who can't thank you themselves I just want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH :thumbsup:

Jenelle
03-27-2006, 08:54 PM
I have pictures of what I am going to send out this week.

Enjoy!

BettyBea
03-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Oh. How sweet!

I'm hoping to get mine started this week!
Is there a deadline? A website? Oh, dear ...
what am I doing again? :oops:

Oh ... :XX: I remember :D

Jenelle
03-27-2006, 10:20 PM
http://www.thepreemieproject.org

They have a yahoo group too...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thepreemieproject/

There you go! :)

BettyBea
03-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Whoops! I DID find it at
http://www.thepreemieproject.com!

It's .com not .org! Just for future viewers ...

going to go look.

Jenelle
03-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Oops.. Sorry :oops:

*KnitPixie*
03-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Jenelle your baby hats and booties look so adorable :cheering: BettyBea I can't wait to see your stuff, I bet they'll be just as cute. I'm going to post my baby booties for you guys to see. I did a batch of them they are going to be for June's donation, I already sent my donation in for April and May. Hey guys I just wanted to remind you that now the Preemie Project has two chapters and we are trying to support both chapters equally. There is the Iowa chapter and the Michigan chapter. April 7 is the deadline to mail your things in for the April donation. All donations go to Jan Berry this month. She is the Michigan chapter coordinator ;) FYI...here is her website and please don't forget to donate to her as three people only donated so far and her donation is in mid April :(

http://www.thepreemieproject.com/pages/12/index.htm

http://www.iserv.net/~bloberry/volunteer.html

Good luck and have fun :thumbsup:

Jenelle
03-27-2006, 11:53 PM
Can't wait to see your booties Aimee :thumbsup:

knitstress_tygher
03-28-2006, 10:16 AM
I would like to help out too, though I've several projects I've got to finish before I can work on teenie tiny hats. I will mention this to the friend that taught me to knit. She lives in Michigan, so she might be interested. :)

*KnitPixie*
03-28-2006, 07:13 PM
That would be great! We could use more knitters for the Preemie Project. Don't worry the Preemie Project will always be around and always need your help so whenever you are ready just knit :XX: some tiny items and send them to the preemie project. ( Don't forget to check what what chapter should get the donation) We alternate between the two. One month one chapter, one month the next etc. Also I check this thread often so if anyone has any questions just ask :lol:

Kirochka
04-06-2006, 02:41 PM
I just looked at this thread... I'm a fairly new (and slow) knitter, but I plan to get some yarn for this and do some hats. I was a preemie myself, lo these almost 44 years ago, so this is close to my heart. What a wonderful project! I'll get back in touch to find out what to do once I have some hats done...

*KnitPixie*
04-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Thank you for helping us and donating, I was a preemie as well. :heart: This is a wonderful project and I hope you enjoy making these little items as much as I do ;) There is however one thing we have to remember when making these preemie hats and booties :rollseyes: The yarn has to be soft because preemies have very delicate skin. There is a list we use as a guideline, so if you want to see it go to this site:
http://www.thepreemieproject.com/pages/28/index.htm
Good luck and don't forget to have fun!

Jan in CA
04-06-2006, 05:35 PM
I have some nice soft yarn. I'll try and knit up a few things here and there and send them to you (?) when I get several done. ;)

*KnitPixie*
04-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Hi, everyone I just want to let you know that when you are done your items and would like to send them I will give you the correct address for that particular month. The organization is a two part, Michigan and Iowa.
All you have to do is contact me when your finished and I'll point you in the right direction :lol:
Have a fun time :XX: