PDA

View Full Version : My yarn overload....

bubba
02-10-2006, 03:37 AM
After being penned up in the house for the past several weeks with my husband who is recovering from the first half of the surgeries to remove his spinal and chest tumor (which by the way was benign!!! :happydance: ), I snuck out of the house and downtown to the Sheraton this afternoon. They are having a yarn expo and there are probably about 18 vendors who have set up booths down there that are open to the public. I saw several interesting things knit up and talked to several of the owners. There were even people down there spinning away and selling that yarn! A woman who I had bought some yarn from at the fair was there, and I actually got a chance to talk to her. I told her I had driven out to her house while I was up at our lake place once, but her house sits high up on a hill down a little country road in the woods and it was rainy and getting dark out and I was afraid to go up there by myself. She assured me that there really is a store there next to her house w/a nice big, well lit parking lot, so I told her next time I would stop in. She has such beautiful yarn she has made up.

I saw a pair of felted slippers that are a lot like the fibertrend clogs except they have backs on them that make them like a regular pair of shoes in their design. They were so stinking cute! She had knit them out of some beautiful wool that was black, gray, rose, and gold. Then she knit a small strip about an inch wide which she had tied into a loose knot that was sewn onto the front of each one. If that wasn't cute enough, she also crochet a shell border (separately from the knitting because she said it felts differently due to the different stitch) and after felting everything, stitched that around the top edge of the slipper. I think I am going to do this w/my felted clogs! I could not believe how cute they looked! I am now patiently waiting for my extra skein of wool to get here from knitpicks so I can finish the pair on the needles that I have knitted for my mom...then I think I will have to do my pair next w/all the extra goodies added on!

I am happy to report I made it out alive, buying only a bottle of lotion! My husband was quite amazed with me, but I told him I was going to go back there again before Sunday when they close.

If you live in this area (Tacoma, Washington), here is the link for the show. I found out about it too late, or I probably would have signed up for a class or two. http://www.madronafiberarts.com/

pat...who is pretty certain she will never get caught up w/everything that's been posted on here, but who is quite happy her latest wonderful wallaby is almost finished!

Cristy
02-10-2006, 09:09 AM
I have no idea how you managed to leave the expo w/o a billion dollars in yarn...I know me--that's what would have happened.

Ingrid
02-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Great news about your dh!!

Your restraint is to be admired. Make sure you fill us in on your follow-up visit! ;)

nicolethegeek
02-10-2006, 10:39 AM
HEY!!! That's the same expo that Yarn Harlot is at right now!

newbieknit
02-10-2006, 03:54 PM
I was reading this thread thinking 'how lucky that she got to go to this yarn expo!... I wish that I lived around some happy yarn expo place....' then I read:

If you live in this area (Tacoma, Washington),

and nearly fell off my chair! I jumped up like I'd just hit the big lotto numbers and declared TACOMA?! I live 10 minutes from there!!

Lucky ME for living so close to a yarn expo!!

bubba
02-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Ha ha ha!!!! Are you there yet? Where abouts do you live?

pat.

WynnieG
02-10-2006, 04:43 PM
No reply from newbie...she must be in the car already! :roflhard:

newbieknit
02-11-2006, 04:39 PM
No reply from newbie...she must be in the car already! :roflhard:

I WISH I was in the car headed to the yarn expo!

Since I haven't been able to move around that well the last few weeks, my husband said that if I was still feeling good after we took care of our planned errands he would happily take me to the yarn expo. About half way through our errands I was in so much pain that we had to go home and DH carried me to bed. We were really bummed out. (DH really enjoys looking at all the yarn and crafting items... I spend more time in my LYS when my DH is in tow.)

I think there is still time for me to try to get up there... I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Lana
02-11-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm happy to hear the very good news about your husband.

You might need some yarn to help you keep your sanity during his recovery.
Been there. Done that. :rollseyes:

I'm afraid I had less restraint at Quietly Wild Yarn today. :doh: I am almost embarressed. :oops:
Almost, but not quiet! :cheering:

Ingrid
02-11-2006, 04:56 PM
We demand pictures!!!!

Edited:

Nevermind! I saw your other thread! :thumbsup: