PDA

View Full Version : I can Purl! YEAH

artistic_alexis
02-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Just thought I'd share my happiness with all those who are just learning that I think I finally got purling down. I don't do it exactly like the book shows or the video, I seem to wrap the yarn around my left thumb and guide it that way. No clue how I figured that one out, but it works really well ;) ! For my quillow I'm making, I'm doing this pattern of Knit a row, purl a row for 22 rows, then switch to purl a row knit a row for another 22, and so on creating a really cool square effect for the pillow part. This is such plain stuff, I know, but I never thought I could get it. It's SO funny how all of a sudden the pics in the book and the wording just makes sense and all of a sudden you're knitting.

To all my fellow newbies and newbettes, don't give up. I swear you'll get it all of a sudden when you're just about to give up. It worked that way for me, and I'm making my second project. Square slippers are finished, but didn't fit at all. :??

So on to this poll question... How long did it take you to figure out the two main stitches of knitting and purling?

Alexis

Cristy
02-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Way to go! I picked it up pretty quickly and don't mind it at all but I understand that many folks hate to purl and have a hard time with it....
Congratulations on getting it figure it out--you're well on your way now!

butterflymama
02-11-2006, 01:16 PM
I like to purl. :XX:

KristiMetz
02-11-2006, 01:33 PM
The knit stitch is the one I had a really hard time with. Purling took me a day or two after that, but the knit stitch took a few weeks.

I was using US10.5 needles, which are a bit unwieldy for me. Also, I didn't understand that I was doing garter stitch, and was expecting to see stockinette stitch, so I thought my knitting was just horrible.

I almost gave up as a matter of fact.

Good thing I finally posted here and got straightened out. Everyone here is such a huge help and so incredibly nice! And, Amy totally rocks because I have learned using her videos exclusively. I don't think I would ever have learned to knit otherwise.

Jan in CA
02-11-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm a fast learner I guess. I learned them both in one day.

jodstr2
02-11-2006, 03:31 PM
I took 4 months to purl. I am the most purlically challenged person I know.

wewantmore
02-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Didn't take nearly as long as it took me to learn to Cast On. :rollseyes:

Amber
02-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Well, I said "a month or more," but I didn't even attempt purling until I'd been knitting for quite a while. Once I tried it, I got it right away. Learning the knit stitch - that took me a while. I was trying to learn from a book, and it wasn't until I found Amy's videos that I actually "got it."

geekgolightly
02-12-2006, 12:38 AM
it took a few minutes to learn purl, but it took 30 hours of dedicated knitting and frogging and knitting and frogging to get down how to do rib stitch. i realize that its purl and garter but for some reason i got really confused about which to put on top of what and how to tell the difference between the two and i kept forgetting what i had just stitched. :doh:

artistic_alexis
02-12-2006, 12:48 AM
I still think it's funny how hard purling came to me. I just couldn't figure out how to make my fingers hold the yarn in front, and keep up some form of speed. MY HARDEST thing is trying to figure out if I purlled the last row or knit it when doing a stockinette stitch. I'm such an airhead, but any tips on how to figure this out? I KNOW there MUST be a simple trick I just haven't learned lol. :??

Alexis

Jenelle
02-12-2006, 01:46 AM
I don't know what to vote for... I picked up knitting off and on for a few months(I'd knit here and there), then I decided that I needed to learn how to knit right, so I learned them both correctly within one day.

Well I just answered my own question :rofling:

geekgolightly
02-12-2006, 01:49 AM
im having a time of that, as well. the best thing ive found for me, is to make sure i always start out with either a purl or a knit on every row (lord when it comes time for patterns im gonna be one lost dog), that way i dont have to sit and wonder now what was it this time??

also, with struggling desperately for so long with the rib stitch, i learned to differentiate between the knit & the purl (never thought id get that down) on the row i am about to knit. that way i know if i should knit or puyrl on top of that next stitch.

Arugula
02-12-2006, 07:25 PM
With stockinette, if the side facing you has the neat little v's, you need to be knitting. If it has the loops (similar to the way garter looks) you need to be purling. Does that help?

I learned in about 10 minutes (both stitches) but I actually get a little embarrassed saying that. I am a really fast learner with just about anything but I feel like saying it is really rubbing ppl's faces in it. Glad I am not the only one here who learns quickly, it seems like I should hide it or something.

If it helps, spinning with a spindle has taken me a lot longer to figure out. I think I am on my 4th skein and this is the first time it is remotely even and that only because I found a spinner in town here who showed me what I was doing wrong. So I guess I am not a whiz at everything. :rofling:

sfavereau
02-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Didn't take nearly as long as it took me to learn to Cast On. :rollseyes:

Same here! I could knit and purl, but had a horrid time with cast on, until I watched Amy's videos, then it all clicked!

Ingrid
02-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Whenever I show anyone how to knit, I always include purl stitches on the first day. For some reason, if someone learns only the knit stitch, they get nervous about learning how to purl.