PDA

View Full Version : More Questions!

faerie8
02-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Maybe im not fit to knit....ive never had to struggle at anything like this before! :crying:

Please translate this into English.

PATTERN STITCH (with straight needles):
Row 1 (RS): K.
Row 2 (WS): Sl first st as if to p, bring yarn to back between the sts, k to last st, bring yarn to front, sl last st. Rep Rows 1 and 2 for pat st with straight needles.

Ingrid
02-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Knitterese is a whole other language. Hang in there, you'll learn.

Row one and all odd rows, just knit all the way across.

Row 2 and all even rows: Slip the first stitch as if to purl=just transfer the first stitch from the left needle to the right without knitting it, putting the needle in the loop from right to left.

Then bring the yarn between the needles from the front to the back between the needles and knit across the row. When you get to the last stitch, move the yarn to the front between the needles and slip that last stitch as you did the first stitch.

faerie8
02-13-2006, 10:47 PM
:cheering: Thank you so much!
And yet still to come.....more questions.
1) And the following pattern is talking about what?
2) Who invented this form of visual torture?
3) And is the above mentioned person mad?

Inc Row (RS): Keeping to pat, k first st, inc 1 st in next st, k to within last 2 sts, inc 1 st in next st, k last st. Cont in pat st and rep inc row, inc 1 st after first k st and inc 1 st before last k st, every other row 24 times more, end WS -- 66 sts. Place sts on a holder.

Top of Second Strap: Work same as Top of First Strap. Place sts on a holder.

Join Straps and Body: Next Row (RS): Using circular needles, k 66 sts of First Strap, cast on 18 sts for body, k 66 sts of Second Strap, cast on 18 sts -- 168 sts. Mark beg of rnd. Join and work around in garter st (k 1 rnd, p 1 rnd) for 10" more. Dec Rnd: (K 19, k2tog) 8 times -- 160 sts. P 1 rnd. Dec Rnd: (K 18, k2tog) 8 times -- 152 sts. P 1 rnd. Cont in this manner dec 8 sts every other rnd, having 1 st less between decs on each dec rnd, until 8 sts rem; changing to dpns when necessary. Cut yarn, leaving a long strand to draw through rem 8 sts and secure to WS.

FINISHING: With WS facing, sew top of straps tog invisibly.

faerie8
02-13-2006, 10:50 PM
:cheering: Thank you so much!
And yet still to come.....more questions.
1) And the following pattern is talking about ...?
2) Who invented this form of visual torture?
3) And is the above mentioned person mad?

Inc Row (RS): Keeping to pat, k first st, inc 1 st in next st, k to within last 2 sts, inc 1 st in next st, k last st. Cont in pat st and rep inc row, inc 1 st after first k st and inc 1 st before last k st, every other row 24 times more, end WS -- 66 sts. Place sts on a holder.

Top of Second Strap: Work same as Top of First Strap. Place sts on a holder.

Join Straps and Body: Next Row (RS): Using circular needles, k 66 sts of First Strap, cast on 18 sts for body, k 66 sts of Second Strap, cast on 18 sts -- 168 sts. Mark beg of rnd. Join and work around in garter st (k 1 rnd, p 1 rnd) for 10" more. Dec Rnd: (K 19, k2tog) 8 times -- 160 sts. P 1 rnd. Dec Rnd: (K 18, k2tog) 8 times -- 152 sts. P 1 rnd. Cont in this manner dec 8 sts every other rnd, having 1 st less between decs on each dec rnd, until 8 sts rem; changing to dpns when necessary. Cut yarn, leaving a long strand to draw through rem 8 sts and secure to WS.

FINISHING: With WS facing, sew top of straps tog invisibly.

Ingrid
02-14-2006, 12:39 AM
OK, I'll translate. ;)

Increase Row (right side): Keeping to pattern--that means knit and purl as you have been

Increase 1 stitch in next stitch--knit into the front and back of that stitch

Knit to within last 2 stitches--knit until there are 2 stitches left on the right needle

Increase as above in the next stitch

knit the last stitch

Continue in pattern stitch and repeat increase row, (increasing 1 stitch after the first knit stitch and increasing one stitch before the last k stitch), every other row 24 times more, ending with a wrong side row--you'll have 66 stitches.--So on every knit row, you'll increase in the same place as you did the first increase row--one stitch in on each end.

Since this means you'll be knitting 48 more rows before the straps, I'll hit that tomorrow. It's late here. ;)

faerie8
02-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Oh.. i hope you arent too tired because of me! Ok 1 more question (hopefully the last but i doubt it...) Now, the bag im making looks kind of like an 'o' thats been smushed at the top. so when it asks me to increase, it causes a slope ( yay i learned something!). Im assuming that at both ends i do an increase that faces inwards? :??

Ingrid
02-14-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm not quite sure I understand. Is there a link to the pattern?

Nevermind, I looked at where you posted the pattern above. :doh:

At the top of the bag you'll be decreasing to bring the sides back in.

faerie8
02-15-2006, 11:30 PM
Let me clear up my question. When you increase a stitch, it slopes a certain way. Which way would be more reasonable if my pattern doesnt specify? After 20 minutes of struggling, have mangaed to get you a pattern. yay! :cheering:

http://www.lionbrand.com then scroll to the bottom, click on free knitting patterns, scroll down to bag/purse area, and click on 'Hobo' bag. Thats such an ugly name.....hobo bag.....echh! :fingerwag:

Ingrid
02-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Hobo Bag (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kkc-tote.html)

It's in garter stitch, so I don't think you'd see any difference between increases. I'd just knit in the front and back of the stitch they say to increase in.

BTW-once you get to the bag pattern, just copy the url at the top and you can link directly to it.

faerie8
02-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Well, you learn something everywhere.... anyways back to knitting. Knit in the back and front of the whatchamacallit, and what? :??

Ingrid
02-16-2006, 10:59 PM
For your increases, I'd use kfb--video here. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos//increase/increase-bar-english.mpg) It's knitting in the front and back loop of the stitch.

faerie8
02-17-2006, 07:39 PM
*sigh* whatchamacallit, the adjective of the future. ;)

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 07:41 PM
*sigh* whatchamacallit, the adjective of the future. ;)

Doohicky, thingamagig and thingy work equally well! :D

faerie8
02-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Torn between two desires:

1)Want very badly to knit, just for the sake of knitting :XX:

2)Want yarn (that is the 'bestest' in the world) not to got to waste (coincidentally is also purple)

ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Is there a mad smiley? :evil: THERE IT IS!

ARGH! WANT YARN TO BE USED FOR SOMETHING!!!!!!!! :evil:

faerie8
02-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Um....Ingrid? HELP!!!!!!!!

Prepare for an insanely stupid question... :wall:

How many stitches do i cast on? What do i start with, body or strap?

faerie8
02-17-2006, 09:04 PM
I wonder....if knitting is complicated, what real life would be like? :??

faerie8
02-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Ingrid! I have just realized that your picture is soooo ironic!!!

Yarn is made from wool,and wool is made from sheep! :shock:

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Um....Ingrid? HELP!!!!!!!!

Prepare for an insanely stupid question... :wall:

How many stitches do i cast on? What do i start with, body or strap?

Do exactly what the pattern tells you.

It starts with the strap. Cast on 16 stitches. Work rows one and two of the pattern stitch (above the directions) until your strap is 6" long. Do this working back and forth.

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Ingrid! I have just realized that your picture is soooo ironic!!!

Yarn is made from wool,and wool is made from sheep! :shock:

:rofling: I used to be a banana riding a llama. Explain that one! :roflhard:

faerie8
02-17-2006, 10:53 PM
But the bag, im assuming, is not only 16 stitches! How does this work????!!!!!!! AHHHHH!!!! This does not compute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- From the very knitting challenged faerie

But really, i can calculate pi, (bet you didnt expect THAT from a faerie!), play basketball, draw, and do the greatest (if i do say so myself) the karate high kick in the world. I just cant knit...*sigh* BUT I WILL PERSERVERE!!!!!!!! I WILL KNIT THE HOBO BAG!!!!!!! :)

faerie8
02-17-2006, 10:57 PM
Do I HAVE to use circular needles? They confuse me....and I dont need anymore confusion. ;)

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 11:14 PM
The strap is only 16 stitches. Then you add stitches to make the bag. Circular needles are actually easier than straights, and the bag won't need a seam if you use them.

If you can calculate pi, you can knit a bag. ;) Just do exactly what the pattern says. You don't have to understand it ahead of time. As you do it, one step at a time, it will all make sense.

faerie8
02-17-2006, 11:49 PM
That was the smartest yet most illogical thing in the world. :??

I WILL KNIT THE HOBO BAG!!!!! That is such a horrible name, from now on we will call it the.........sling bag! or the....shoulder bag......I GOT IT!!!! THE BANANA BAG!!!!!!!!

faerie8
02-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Very, very honestly, i do not know know to use circular needles. :crying: i also see no difference or postive reinforcement of using circular needles.

faerie8
02-17-2006, 11:54 PM
My,my,my....i just realized something.

A sheep is talking to a faerie.....*tee hee*! :roflhard:

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Look here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos//adv-tech/circular-needle-rds.mpg) at the video for circulars.

You gotta have some faith here, faerie! You can do this. It's not brain surgery!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: That's me, clapping my hooves, because I believe in faeries!!

faerie8
02-18-2006, 12:32 AM
Did you play that movie endlessly too?!?! :shock: I love that movie!!!! The part where Peter returns the marbles to (what was his name?)... Tibbles...I was so happy!! :D I will not sleep tonight untill i learn that pattern!!!! :XX:

Please do not be suprised if, one day, my doctor posts that i am unable to knit because the needles have, by some way or another, forcefully entered my body. ;)

faerie8
02-18-2006, 12:59 AM
INGRID!!!!!!! LOOK!!

I DID IT! I MADE THE STRAP! At least....two inches of it.BUT I STILL DID IT!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!! :D

Ingrid
02-18-2006, 10:22 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

faerie8
02-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Ok, strap is done. Now what? :??

Whooohooooo! So proud of my six inch strap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance: But it look slightly smaller than six inches.... :thinking:

Oh, what size circular needles do you suggest? Right now im knitting the bag with 4.5mm even though the yarn calls for 5mm, because i thought it would be better if the bag was tighter. Plus i didnt want to go out and buy needles just a half size bigger, that would be such a waste of money!

faerie8
02-19-2006, 02:19 PM
I am addicted to Minigo strawberry yogurt!!!!!!! :cheering:

Ingrid
02-19-2006, 02:21 PM
The needles you need are listed at the top of the pattern--29", I believe.

Next you do the increases on the strap you have and then make another one.

faerie8
02-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Increases??????????? :shock:

I didnt mean how long the circulars should be i meant the actual size! Like size 8,5 etc.

Ingrid
02-19-2006, 06:26 PM
The directions say size 6 needles. But since you didn't use them on the strap, use whatever size you did on the strap just to be consistent.

After you knit the 6 inch strap, you do the Increase rows.

knit the first stitch, knit into the front and back loops of the next stitch (find the kfb video in the abbreviations section) knit to within the last 2 stitches, increase (kfb) into the next stitch, k1

Next row--purl

Repeat these two rows until you have 66 stitches.

Then you make another handle the same way.

faerie8
02-19-2006, 10:38 PM
:D Look! I finally have an avatar!!!!! It really looks like me!!!!!More or less...

faerie8
02-20-2006, 08:49 PM
I UNDERSTAND THE INCREASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You were right...you really dont have to understand all of it at once!

Just curious...Ingrid, what kind of knitter are you? English or Continental? What is your favourite yogurt?? :thinking: As i have stated in previous posts, my favourite is Minigo Strawberry. :D

faerie8
02-22-2006, 11:55 PM
I am done the increse rows!!!! :D

What now? Is it ok if the stiches in the strap are looser than that of the increase rows? :??

Ingrid
02-23-2006, 12:12 AM
The increase stitches will be tighter. Enjoy the fact that you're
getting it!!

I knit English, and I like Key Lime yogurt. ;)

Now you need to start the body. You'll need the circular needle for this. Knit the stitches from the first strap onto the circ, cast on 18 stitches (check out the backward loop (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos//cast-on/backward-loop-co.mpg) video, knit the stitches from the second strap, and then cast on 18 more.

Now all the stitches for the top of your bag will be on the circular needle. Put a marker on your needle to show the beginning of your first round, and start knitting. Knit one row, purl one row for ten inches.

If you're unsure how to work with the circs, Amy has video for that here. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos//adv-tech/circular-needle-rds.mpg)

faerie8
02-23-2006, 06:35 PM
Will do!

Going out to buy circular needles and key lime yogurt now!!! :D

Bye!