PDA

View Full Version : Compassionate Knitting Project - Please Read

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Ingrid
03-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Could someone please post links to patterns for the tiny blankets and hats? I'd really like to help out. Not sure if I missed it, or if the thread is just BIG. :D

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/preemies.html

This is a good one.

knitterma
03-16-2006, 10:20 AM
I was so inspired by this thread last night I broke out some acrylic yarn from my stash and made a tiny hat. I couldn't find a pattern exactly, so I winged it (something I've never done with a hat!) and whatdyaknow it worked!

http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/03/16-0549068001T.jpg
View Full Size at Glowfoto (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=16-054906L&y=2006&m=03&t=jpg&rand=8001&srv=img2)

kimmie
03-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Jennifer - The blankets you made (and are making!) are so pretty!! :heart: I love your stitch patterns!

Katy - I am totally clueless about adapting patterns. Thank you Aylanne for your advice. I'm always so impressed when people just know how to do that sort of thing!

Welcome Bridgette! Speaking of how impressed I am when people just know how to make up patterns - WOW - what an adorable hat and you were so quick about it too!!

I'll elaborate a bit on the washing policy at the hospital since Yvonne was worried about the ribbons (which are soooooo lovely!!) Actually, with the babies who have died they often don't worry about washing the blankets and hats unless there is a clear need to do so (like with smoke or dirt), but if the babies are living, then the hospital does carefully wash everything. They know that many of these blankets and hats are delicate and they take great care with them.

:heart: kimmie

KatyKoolkat
03-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Well, I emailed the author, so hopefully I will have an answer before too long. I am also going to try and do a blanket or two before I have to mail them off as well.

Everything is soooo beautiful!!

Yvonne
03-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Jhelanee--
I really like your pink and yellow preemie blankets. What's the pattern for that one with the diagonal eyelets? I like it a lot!

momwolf
03-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Kimmie,
I am sending package tomorrow.Thanks for letting me help on this project :D Wish I had camera to post pics but still looking for one.

jhelanee
03-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I really like your pink and yellow preemie blankets. What's the pattern for that one with the diagonal eyelets? I like it a lot!

Thanks Yvonne-

The "diagonal eyelet" pattern was something I adopted from a shawl pattern I had recently done. :blush: It was knit corner to corner, so each line of eyelets is actually a single row. I used a single skein to make it, but it would be really easy to scale up for a full-term baby. Give me a day or two and I will write down what I did in case anyone else wants to use it.

Pixywhispers
03-16-2006, 03:35 PM
I have been avoiding this thread. :crying: But after seeing Jan's adorable hat on "Whatcha Knittin" I had to come over here and peek. I'm so glad I did.

All of the Mommies who have lost (((((HUGS))))), all of the great knitters and crocheters (((((Hugs))))) and thanks so much for showing the warmth and love to these families in need. And everything looks fabulous!

In the summer of 2004 I had a late miscarriage. It happened in my sleep, I lost a lot of blood. So recovering was especially hard cause I was so weak I couldn't get on with my life. I had to be watched by other adults for weeks, fed, etc. But now looking back I can accept the good out of it. It changed me in many good ways. It made me appreciate my children more. And value my friends more. It made me more human.

I had knitted a bootee and was starting the next one when I lost the baby, I had already made the baby a hat. So making her a shadow box with her booties, her hat, a name bracelet and a note from her momma was very theraputic. It took me months but I did it. And working through them helped me in the different stages after the loss.

My midwife had a cream flannel blanket with a beautiful crocheted edge for the baby and it was the only "gift" I recieved for that baby. It was so important then, but that blanket means more now then it even did then.

So count me in. I decided everything I knit for this KAL I'll also knit the same for my midwifes practice. Thanks for all the volunteers who are making this happen!

kimmie
03-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Hugs to YOU, Candace! I'm so sorry about your little girl. :(

Thank you for joining in here. I also think it is such a wonderful idea to be knitting for your midwife's practice too. Thanks for sharing about how much the one and only gift to your baby meant/means to you. I think that same thing will happen with many of the things we are knitting here.

kimmie
03-16-2006, 07:43 PM
I am sending package tomorrow.Thanks for letting me help on this project :D Wish I had camera to post pics but still looking for one.

It is YOU and everyone else who deserves the thanks!!!

I will take pictures and post them when your package arrives. I can't wait to see what you made!!

kimmie
03-16-2006, 11:27 PM
I decided to get myself organized tonight and write down all of the names of everyone who said they would like to participate and...

THERE ARE 45 OF US!!! I am so excited because I can already tell we are going to really touch the lives of a lot of people. I know I've said it before, but you are the best!!! What a great bunch of people. For the most part we don't know each other (except I'm so lucky that I've gotten to meet and knit with DotMom and Julie!!) and we are knitting for people we'll never meet, but we'll make a difference in their lives. The Internet can be SO cool, can't it?? Not as cool as you guys though! :cheering:

On a side note, Emily from TX, could you pm me so that I have your screen name? I am trying to keep all the names/screen names straight of the people who have sent items already and I am having trouble figuring this one out!!

Thanks everyone!! :heart: :heart: kimmie

Jenelle
03-16-2006, 11:31 PM
I remember posting awhile back about participating in this. I'm going to get out some really nice acrylic yarn tonight and start making tiny hats.

I, too, have neglected this thread.

Kimmie, is there any sizes that you would like made? It'd be a great help to know.

beckyrhae
03-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Kimmie,

I gotta say, my blankets are not coming together like I would like them to, so I'm just going to send the hats I've made and the one blanket. All made on kniffty knitters because I'm still trying to figure out the needles thing. ;) It is coming along, I'm just practicing alot on smaller swatches.

On a semi side note, I mentioned this project to a friend of mine, and she told me how she helped a friend that lost her full term baby. My friend, Liz, is a brilliant artist and when one of her best friends gave birth to a stillborn she had her husband take lots of pictures of him, she also took the clothing they planned on bringing him home in and combined them in a beautiful portrait. She told me that it helped everyone heal and she plans on offering to do it for other parents at the hospital here. We then thought it would be great to help as a team, I will donate blankets and bonnets, she will do a portrait. We are really excited to do this now.. and in a funny way, its all because of this.

kimmie
03-16-2006, 11:44 PM
is there any sizes that you would like made? It'd be a great help to know.

Thanks so much Jenelle! I know that they need and would appreciate any size, but the bereavement coordinator specifically mentioned that they need hats to fit heads the size of a plum.

Jenelle
03-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Well, we have oranges here, navel ones. I'll knit a few hats to fit one of them. I'll look into matching booties and small blankets. I think I can get a few pair of matching booties with them. :)

kimmie
03-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Well, we have oranges here, navel ones. I'll knit a few hats to fit one of them. I'll look into matching booties and small blankets. I think I can get a few pair of matching booties with them. :)

That sounds wonderful! Thank you so much!!

ItsBecca
03-16-2006, 11:50 PM
I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I just made a tiny hat, it's small enough to fit loose on my big toe...is that too small?

Jenelle
03-16-2006, 11:53 PM
No problem. I'm going to talk to my mom about getting them sent out next week. I plan on getting at least SOME booties and hats done. :)

kimmie
03-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Becky - The hats and blanket you made will be so appreciated!! Thank you so much for making them for this project. I continue to be amazed by the whole knifty knitter! I'd love to see someone use one someday.

The project you are going to do with your friend sounds wonderful and if it got started in some way because of this project then that makes me feel really, really happy! Thanks for sharing that!

kimmie
03-17-2006, 12:00 AM
I just made a tiny hat, it's small enough to fit loose on my big toe...is that too small?

Becca, sadly, I think that will be a size that they need...
Thank you so much for making it. On a happier note, it does make me smile to think about you wearing a little hat on your toe!

beckyrhae
03-17-2006, 01:26 AM
On a happier note, it does make me smile to think about you wearing a little hat on your toe!

This made me smile too...

Becky

knitterma
03-17-2006, 11:14 AM
This thread is so awesome. There's so much healing and compassion. :heart:

Right now I'm a nursing student with plans to work in maternity and eventually go on to midwifery school. I start my very first maternity rotation on Monday ( :cheering: ). Something which has been really difficult to think about for me is how I will be helping people through losses such as these ... that little tiny people do die. I've found that as I'm working on these little hats I'm really working through that and coming to terms with it. Thank you for helping me find a way to work through a very difficult concept, and thank you for helping me help other people.

My second little hat in on the needles right now. :XX:

knitterma
03-17-2006, 11:14 AM
One last thing ... I joined this KAL a little late - what date do you want to have all the packages by?

DotMom61
03-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Bridgette --

You may want to keep one or two of those little hats handy just in case you need them. :-(

knitterma
03-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Julie - the thought had occurred to me. I have plans after this project ends to talk to staff at the local hospital where I do clinical and see if they are in need of these types of items.

kimmie
03-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Bridgette - I'm going to do a drawing from the names of everyone who sent items to me by April 4th. One person will get 3 skeins of Noro Kureyon and another person will get 2 skeins of Manos del Uruguay. Sooo, it would be great if you could send me what you've made by then. I'm going to take everything over to the hospital a day or two later. If things arrive after that, I'll still bring them, of course!

I think it's so wonderful that you are going to be a nurse! That is something I've thought about doing ever since I was 16, but I have this issue with germs :shock: so I'm not sure it's a good fit for me! ha. I do know for sure that the world needs kind, caring, bright nurses and I'm SO GLAD that you are going to do this!! I'm also glad that knitting the little baby items is helping you work through your feelings about infant death. We had some angel-nurses who made such a difference for us!! It sounds like you are going to be just like them!

Lisa1216
03-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Bridgette~I also love this thread. I have only made a few things, but I have another blanket on my needles and hopefully will be able to do a few more. I am also a nurse (although I don't work as one now) who has worked in woman's health for 15 years. I worked in Labor & Delivery for 6 years and at an OB/GYN office for 9. I loved L&D :heart: I didn't care much for the maternity/post-partum unit. I don't know why, just preferred L&D. We saw patients who were 20 weeks pregnant and over, and it never was easy when someone came in with a fetal demise or if a baby was bad at the time of delivery. Your heart breaks right along with theirs. If someone did deliver with a fetal demise though, they usually did not go to the maternity floor afterwards to recover. They usually went to the regular GYN floor, so if you are on a maternity floor with the nurseries, you probably won't be taking care of these woman. If you get to be in L&D, then the possibility is there. As Kimmie said, kindness and genuine caring definitely is appreciated and goes a long way. Also, I have known some great midwives~it is a wonderful profession. Good luck to you in your training and clinicals, and also if you persue midwifery training. (Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer anything for you.)

Cristy
03-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Kimmie--I've had a mishap (don't ask) with one of my blankets and I feel awful b/c that means I only have one hat and one blanket to send you (the ones I posted).

I am going to try to make another hat right now...I just feel awful that I can't knit faster! :(

kimmie
03-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Cristy, please don't feel awful!! You have already knit one blanket and one hat - that is A LOT!!!! I appreciate it sooo much!

I totally understand about knitting mishaps. I've had bad knitting mojo or something lately. My latest fiasco was a sock I was knitting that had color pooling in a huge ugly spot. I brilliantly thought I'd color it with permanent marker. Live and learn. Not such a brilliant idea after all.

I'm not the world's fastest knitter either and it used to bother me, but I've come to realize that I enjoy the process, so it's okay if it takes me awhile. If I wanted "fast" I could run out to the mall and buy something.

Ingrid
03-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Cristy--I had my own blanket mishap. I made one with lacy hearts, but realized too late (after it was done) that I messed up on the first set of hearts. I don't want to send something so imperfect. It happens to us all.

samm
03-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Wow. A quiet awed wow. I have been reading this thread every day, and marvelling at what people are knitting, and working on my own small contribution and feeling very warm and included in this project. Thank you Kimmie for starting this! I know it was a course requirement at the beginning, but look what you have done! Look how many are joining in to help! I am so grateful to have been a part of this and to learn about others who were equally touched by your request and goal. Everyone I've told about this collaborative effort has been amazed and encouraging. My doctor looked at the tiny hats and blankets and was very quiet for a bit. He said he knows how much someone out there will appreciate the tiny outfits in their time of need. He kept touching the little things and repeating this. You've done a very big good thing, Kim. A very good thing. I'm glad to have been part of it. samm

p.s. I sure hope you get an A+++++ on this project!

beckyrhae
03-18-2006, 03:32 AM
kimmie

I'm sending out my package on Monday. I've discovered how easy DPNs are! So I made a teeny hat. Here is a picture of my first hat next to one of my kniffty knitter hats.

Rivyan
03-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Wow all this is so very touching, I have almost cried so many times just reading all the sad stories. This is really a new thing to me personally, I've never really been around death let alone the death of a small baby. heh I'm not even old enough to think about children but this has inspired me to do something. I'm a newbie knitter and not too familier with everything but I already made one small hat. I dont know if my mom would let me send it but if not I would really like to donate to hospitals around here. This has so inspired me to do something I think will really touch people and I've always wanted to do things for others. Thank you so much for giving me a way to help those around me. This is certainly a beautiful way to ease the pain mothers with lost babies have. :heart:

heh never thought learning to knit would lead me here ;)

Good luck to all those helping Kimmie on her project and all the mothers who need it.

jamadian75
03-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Hello all:

I've already posted about how impressed I am by the compassion you're all showing by participating in this project. Last night I couldn't go to sleep because I hadn't yet made anything (as I told kimmie I would) and I have some heavy travel coming up. So finally I've got pictures of what I will be sending. It's just one tiny hat for now, but I will do more if I can very soon.

For those who are following this thread and haven't started yet, I encourage you not to feel bad and to just sit and knit. Every stitch counts!! This hat took me about 40 min on size 9 DPNs (I'm a little slow knitting after midnight ;) ) but I felt so relieved when it was done. What a great way to use our yarn and talents!

Kimmie - you must already know this but, course work aside, you get an A+ from us! :cheering: :heart:

http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/295/8256/400/KALHat.jpg

I saw someone model their hat on an egg and I couldn't resist:

http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/295/8256/400/KALHat2.jpg

Cristy
03-18-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm trying not to feel bad about the blanket mishap...I just want to be able to knit a million things for this project...

I started another hat yesterday called Denny's broken rib hat--I found it on a site that lets you take patterns for free if they are for charity--it's a strange pattern--but I like it. I should have it done sometime tomorrow and I plan to send everything out on Monday. Thanks Kimmie for letting me be a part of this!

KatyKoolkat
03-18-2006, 10:59 PM
So I finished the hat, and it looks very cute, if I do say so myself! The top is a little pointed though, does anyone think I can put a pom pom on it?

Also, I am thinking of making a pouch using the same pattern....just casting on, say 100 stitches, knitting a picot border (that folds down maybe?)making an eyelet row, following the pattern down to the decreases, making an i cord, and tying it to make one of those cute knots. How does that sound? I am not starting till I hear something from someone, so pls reply soon!!

Thanks!

Ingrid
03-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Can you use a sweater? I started making one for a friend, but I wanted it smaller than the pattern (6 mos.) I succeeded, by far! It's going to be tiny.

Ingrid
03-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Can you use a sweater? I started making one for a friend, but I wanted it smaller than the pattern (6 mos.) I succeeded, by far! It's going to be tiny.

Jan in CA
03-19-2006, 01:40 AM

That might be better suited for the preemie KAL (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9161). Have to wait for Kimmie on this one.

Ingrid
03-19-2006, 01:41 AM
That's what I was wondering. I'll finish the sweater one way or the other.

kimmie
03-19-2006, 09:19 AM
So I finished the hat, and it looks very cute, if I do say so myself! The top is a little pointed though, does anyone think I can put a pom pom on it?

Also, I am thinking of making a pouch using the same pattern....just casting on, say 100 stitches, knitting a picot border (that folds down maybe?)making an eyelet row, following the pattern down to the decreases, making an i cord, and tying it to make one of those cute knots. How does that sound? I am not starting till I hear something from someone, so pls reply soon!!

Hi Katy,

I bet the hat will look really cute with or without the pom-pom, so you can't go wrong! I think I am the wrong person to ask about whether I think a pattern will work out or not. That is not my strength at all. It sure sounds adorable though and I'd love to see it!! Does anybody else out there have any thoughts on this? My inclination would be to just try it and see!

kimmie
03-19-2006, 09:30 AM
samm - Thank you so much for all of your kind words. I'm really touched both by what you said and also by your description of your Dr's reaction to what you knit.

Becky - Yay for you for trying out double-points! It's fun once you try and looks so impressive to knit with 4 or 5 needles in your hand!! :D You did such a good job! Very cute.

Rivyan - You sound like a very caring young person. I totally understand that your mom might not want you to send anything to some stranger on the Internet. She sounds like a good mom!! Donating to a hospital in your area is a wonderful idea.

jamadian - Thanks for your support! Your little pep talk came at just the right time. I'd just finished a little blanket and hat a bit of yarn left over so I made up a little hat and sure enough, it was done so quickly! It's almost instant gratification! Good luck with your travels! Thank you so much for knitting for this project!!

Cristy - The hat pattern sounds really interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing it! Thank YOU for being part of this!!

:heart: Many thanks to everyone!!
kimmie

kimmie
03-19-2006, 09:33 AM

Yes, Ingrid! A sweater would be so wonderful. That is actually how I got my idea in the first place...because a sweater was given to my son and it meant so much to us.

Jan in CA
03-19-2006, 07:22 PM
I"m ready to mail these and the pink hat next week.

The peach hats and booties (actually preemie tube socks) are in Plymouth DK and the little yellow hat is unknown as it was from my stash.

http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/60625761-S.jpg

http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/60625764-S.jpg

kimmie
03-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Jan- Your little hats and booties look so soft and cute! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

samm
03-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Could you let me know when my little parcel gets to you, Kim, please? I'd just like to know it got there safely. Thanks, samm

DotMom61
03-20-2006, 10:42 PM
Well, this time the 2nd time was a charm. I knit a gown a few weeks ago, but the pattern didn't call to leave the back open, and the neck opening seemed like it might be a problem. So, I passed it on to DD for one of her teddy bears, and knit this one instead:

http://static.flickr.com/55/115608148_d9f7b82eff.jpg

It's made from this (http://www.geocities.com/tatt3r/knitxsmallraglanpat.html) pattern. I used about 2/3 of a skein of Caron Dazzleaire on size 5 needles.

I forgot to put something in the picture to reference the size of the gown, but it seems to be just under 12" long. If I were to do another one of these, I would use a more light-weight yarn. Hopefully, this will still be useful, though.

kimmie
03-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Hi Everybody!!

Tab and Momwolf's packages came today - yay!! :cheering: They are absolutely BEAUTIFUL, precious little items. I am so moved every time I look at these. I will post the pictures tomorrow so you can see too!

Speaking of beautiful and precious, what a lovely gown, Dotmom! I can't get over how fast you whipped that up and the stitch patterns look so fancy! Lovely.

Samm - I will let you know as soon as your package comes. Tab's came pretty quickly from Canada, so hopefully yours will too!

Yvonne
03-21-2006, 08:19 AM
Kimmie,
So how many things do you have so far? It really must be piling up now!

kimmie
03-21-2006, 08:43 AM
So how many things do you have so far? It really must be piling up now!

Great question! I have gotten packages in the mail from 6 people so far, plus what I've made. Altogether that comes to 34 little hats and bonnets, 20 little blankets, five fetal demise pouches, two pairs of booties and two thumbless mittens. :cheering: And more is on the way!! I know the bereavement coordinator is going to be surprised and happy. She had said that they need these little items much more often than people realize, so I know this will help a lot!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Stay tuned! More photos later today...

Cristy
03-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Kimmie--I plan to ship mine out today--it's 2 hats and a blanket--I finished the other hat last night; I'll post a pic a little later this evening!

Dotmom--that little gown is beautiful! :) Great work!

kayeknit
03-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Great job everyone!!! :XX:

margie
03-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Kimmie, I will be mailing out my package to you tomorrow, hopefully. I have one more little blanket to finish up, and then everything will be on it's way to you! :heart:

beckyrhae
03-21-2006, 11:36 AM
kimmie

I just had an idea last night... will you take a picture of all the items before you take them to the hospital? A group shot? I think that would be fantastic to see all of our combined efforts!

ps... before I send mine out, would a box be best? Or a padded envelope?

samm
03-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Dotnom what a lovely little gown!! And you helped a bear in need too. ;) I'm going to save that link for future use. Thanks for posting it. A lovely lovely little gown. Someone will be appreciative of the work you put into it, I'm sure. samm

Rennagayle
03-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Mine's not quite ready to be mailed to you, but I'm working on it. :thumbsup:

Lisa1216
03-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Kimmie~I have one more blanket for you, although I need to block it a little first. I should get it out to you by the end of the week.
Jan and DotMom~ your things are beautiful! :heart:

kimmie
03-21-2006, 01:56 PM
I just had an idea last night... will you take a picture of all the items before you take them to the hospital? A group shot? I think that would be fantastic to see all of our combined efforts!

ps... before I send mine out, would a box be best? Or a padded envelope?

Yes! I will definitely do a group shot and take pictures of everything at the hospital as well when I bring it so that you all can sort of feel like you are "there" too.

Either a box or a padded envelope will work fine, whatever is easiest for you!

kimmie

kimmie
03-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Dotmom ... you helped a bear in need too. ;)

This made me laugh! So true!

kimmie
03-21-2006, 02:00 PM
It sounds like my mail lady will be extra busy soon! :cheering: You guys are wonderful!

kimmie
03-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Here are some pictures of the lovely things that Tab and Momwolf sent. The picture that Tab took herself is much cuter than mine, but her blanket and hat are so adorable that I just had to take the picture.

Momwolf is clearly a speedy and talented knitter. The little burial pouches are so heartbreakingly precious and all the hats and blankets are beautiful.

Rennagayle
03-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Oh, my. :shock: Everything is so beautiful and precious looking. :D

Cristy
03-21-2006, 07:22 PM
here is my last hat...Kimmie...I didn't get my things in the mail today but I will tomorrow I promise!

Yvonne
03-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Oh my, all the new photos are so gorgeous. Momwolf, that "love" applique is just right. So well done!

DotMom61
03-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Oh wow. Seeing all these pictures makes me want to make some more things. They're so precious, and yet they make me sad, too.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words about the gown.

knitterma
03-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Heyyyy momwolf did you use a pattern for the little ribbed hats or just wing it? I like ribbing in hats, but I find the decrases to be challenging and wingin it never works out. :??

momwolf
03-22-2006, 12:48 AM
It's actually a Mock Rib and Eyelet here it is enjoy :D

www.geocities.com/bugster74/mockribpreemiehat.html

kimmie
03-22-2006, 01:09 PM
They're so precious, and yet they make me sad, too.

That is exactly how I feel! It's such an odd feeling to be so excited about how cute and wonderful all these things are and then at the same time to realize how sad it is that these tiny things are needed. I really feel though that in the midst of the parents' sadness, they will take comfort in these special little things made with care for their precious baby.

kimmie
03-22-2006, 01:23 PM
I had to back up a bit and re-read posts because the last few days have been a little crazy around here. My son got sick and we were in a bit of a muddle over whether or not he should be heading off today on a 13 day class trip that had been planned since June. He wound up not going. So, now that my head and heart aren't being completely otherwise occupied, it's back to the rest of my life!

Cristy, Margie, and Becky - I will be keeping my eyes peeled for packages from the mail lady! Lisa - I'm so excited that I'll be getting *another* package from you!

Cristy - the little hat is so cute!! :heart:

Renna - I really appreciate all the effort you are putting into this!

Hugs to everybody!
kimmie

DotMom61
03-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Kim --

Big Hug for DS ... I know he must be really disappointed. (But I *know* you're relieved!!)

Pixywhispers
03-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Kimmie,

Bummer about your son missing his trip. :( Poor guy.

I've read sooo many posts but I wasnt sure if I had read what class this project was for. I'm curious.

And you ladies are just too much to keep up with! Everything is gorgeous! There is such love here. It's so touching. I love knowing I'm a part of a KAL finally!

Kimmie could you please pm me your address.

This was supposed to be my entry for the Knitting Olympics a lace bonnet from Knitting for Two. But my life and my knitting ability were not up to lace yet. So there this pretty star sat on my shelf. I would pet it every now and then. I had considered just binding it off to send it to a friend to love on. But yesterday it hit me! Put stocknette on it and make it a hat for one of these precious babies.

Its a size that would be for a five or six pounder. Approximately 70 stitches on size three needles, Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino.

Thank you so much for organizing this Kimmie! You are doing a great job!

DotMom61
03-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Candace, that is *gorgeous*!

kimmie
03-22-2006, 05:40 PM
I've read sooo many posts but I wasnt sure if I had read what class this project was for. I'm curious.

Well, I'm working on my masters in library science and planning on getting certification along with that to work as a school librarian. For that certification one of the classes is called "Communication for Leadership." As part of that class we are supposed to think up and implement a collaborative project. I wanted to do something that would be meaningful not only to me but to others, so this is what I came up with. I am so thankful to all of you that this is working out so well. :heart:

Candace, that baby hat is incredible. I'm so glad you were struck by inspiration and created such a lovely little hat!!

I'll pm you with my address right now.

kimmie

samm
03-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Candace that is a beautiful little hat. What a great idea to finish it as a tiny baby hat. I must try something like this sometime! Just lovely. samm

Rennagayle
03-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Candace, that hat will look so beautiful on a precious little baby.

Kimmie, I'm so sorry about your ds having to miss his trip. I can imagine how disappointed he must be. :(

I'm honored to get to be a part of your project, and like Candace, I'm happy to finally be part of a knit along. Because of the nature of this particular knit along, I'm sure I'll never forget what my first one was.

samm
03-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Me too, Renna. This is my first KAL as well, and I'm so happy to be participating. I'm new to the whole knitting website friends thing, and I feel like I've found a place where I really belong. I'm pleased that this project is such a worthy one, and it will long be remembered. samm

knitterma
03-22-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm working on this bastketweave blanket for ya ... I cast-on too many sts though, so it's more like a true preemie blanket, and it's taking a lot longer than I expected. I'm psyched for this weekend though because my Ma and I are taking a mini road trip to see my sis which = lotsa knitting time for the KAL! :happydance: So, I'm planning on getting a few more hats done and maybe a couple other things (blankets or pouches) before I send everything on the 30.

I love seeing the pictures of what everyone made. They look so wonderful. I think these will offer much solace to a grieving family. My first day of maternity clinical is tomorrow, and I'm going to feel-out if the hospital where I'll be working has a need for these kinds of items as well. I really appreciate that this KAL has given me the inspiration to do lots of charity knitting. :heart:

Cristy
03-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Candace--I agree...that hat is sooooooo beautiful!

Kimmie--you should receive my package tomorrow--I sent it yesterday (2 day priority mail). I also wanted to take a moment to thank you for setting this up--I am trying to do something similar here in my area but it isn't catching on quite so well. I haven't been knitting for long, less than a year, but up until now I have knitted only gifts for my family...this project has made me include the community in my knitting--I want to continue doing that. Thank you for letting me be an opportunity and please please please let us know the final count and get a picture if possible.

Knitterma--good luck with you maternity clinical...

To everyone else--bless you for participating--I am certainly honored that this was my first KAL. :)

Pixywhispers
03-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks everybody. It was a joy to finish, considering its tumultuous begining.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

kimmie
03-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi Everybody!

This is my first KAL too! You all have said and done such nice things. I'm so humbled by the kindness of this group! :heart: It's hard to imagine a nicer group of people.

Bridgette - have fun with your mom and sister! Thank you for using your road trip to knit for this project! I hope that you enjoyed your first day of maternity clinical. You're going to be such a wonderful nurse.

Lots of you have mentioned wanting to continue knitting for people in need after this and I'm so happy about that! It's like ripples of caring will just keep reaching out and comforting people. :heart:

Cristy - I'll let you know as soon as your package comes. I'll definitely do a final count and pictures of everything as well as pictures of the yarn I'm raffling off, etc. :cheering:

DotMom - your beautiful little gown arrived in todays mail! It's so cute!!!Even though you already posted a picture, I'll take another one and post it tomorrow because I love doing that!

Thank you everyone!!! :heart: :heart:

DotMom61
03-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Wow, Kim, that arrived in *record* time! I just mailed it late Wed. afternoon!

margie
03-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Kimmie, it's been a hectic week- my package is going out in the mail today. You should have it sometime in the beginning of next week.

I truly enjoyed participating in this KAL. What a wonderful idea. I can't wait to see the picture of all the items together!! :cheering:

KatyKoolkat
03-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Kimmie:

My package will be going out in the mail next friday, and if I have to overnight it and pay more, I will. I wouldn't miss the ending of this for the world!!

I am getting going on my blanket, and it will look sooo cute (hopefully!!)

K

kimmie
03-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Katy - ack! I'd hate for you to feel like you had to overnight a package from Canada!! So far it seems to me that the packages I've received from Canada have come pretty quickly. Now that I think about it, there are quite a few Canadians participating in this. :heart: :heart: :heart: It might be a little colder there, but there are lots of warm hearts!

Margie - Thank you!! I hope that things are less hectic for you now and I really appreciate all you've done for this in spite of the hecticness!!

Okay, now for pictures!! Everything is so precious!!

Treeling
03-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Hi Kimmie, I'm a newbie at these boards, and only just found this wonderful project. I would absolutely love to pitch in, and may have some other knitters to help as well...

The problem is that since we'd be so late to the party, your April deadline probably isn't going to be realistic for me/us. I'm not too worried about the yarn drawing ;) but I'm wondering if you plan to continue the project after your initial drop-off of the goods you've already received? Or should we just contact hospitals in our area to see if they have similar needs?

samm
03-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Hello Kim! I'm glad to see my little package got there okay! It's so cool to see the photos! Thanks for posting them. I loved making the little things, and was only sorry I hadn't found this KAL sooner so I could contribute more. The stitch on the blankets is very simple. I forget if I used the same one on all three! It's a simple sc row or even a dc row, and then sc ,dc across the row. Going back sc in the dcs, and dc in the scs. Easy! I found the stitch in something I was reading and decided to try it. It is a nice stitch isn't it. Firm without being too bulky. I think it was described as a moss stitch for crochet. Glad the things got to you safely. samm

Jenelle
03-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Kimmie- Would you be able to PM your address to me? I'm going to try to get hat and bootie sets made tonight. I havn't been able to get any blankets done, because they all seem to take so long. I'll be sending them out tonight with the money I have saved up. It'll be great.

Would you like the items organized into plastic baggies so that they don't get damaged or dirty on there trip?

jhelanee
03-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Kimmie: Would you please PM me your address also? I have finished the third blanket I was working on and shoudl be able to mail things next week sometime.

More generally, in trying to write down the requested diagonal eyelet blanket pattern I am going back and making another one to remind myself what I did and try to fix the shape a bit (the first one is more of a slanted square). So the pattern will be posted soon and hopefully I will finish the fourth blanket in time to send it too!

kimmie
03-25-2006, 12:31 AM
I'm wondering if you plan to continue the project after your initial drop-off of the goods you've already received? Or should we just contact hospitals in our area to see if they have similar needs?

Hi Treeling! I am so happy that you would like to do this! My plan is to talk with the bereavement coordinator at the hospital when I drop off everything and see what she thinks in terms of their continuing needs...is this something they could use annually or quarterly or ??? I do suspect that there are many hospitals that have a need for these items, so if you want to contact hospitals in your area, that would be a great idea too. This is something that I want to continue knitting for, so if anyone wants to continue sending things I will absolutely deliver them and take photos, etc. Goodness knows that everytime I see something that has been knit for this, I feel the need to knit the same thing, so I'll be doing this for awhile!!

kimmie
03-25-2006, 12:34 AM
It is a nice stitch isn't it. Firm without being too bulky. I think it was described as a moss stitch for crochet.

Silly me! No wonder I couldn't figure it out - I didn't realize it was crochet! It really is a pretty stitch and so nice and flat.

I'm glad you liked the pictures and weren't horrified by how my camera changed the colors!

Thank you so much for all you did!!!

kimmie
03-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Kimmie- Would you be able to PM your address to me? I'm going to try to get hat and bootie sets made tonight. I havn't been able to get any blankets done, because they all seem to take so long. I'll be sending them out tonight with the money I have saved up. It'll be great.

Would you like the items organized into plastic baggies so that they don't get damaged or dirty on there trip?

Hi Jenelle - I will pm you my address right away. I know you meant that you saved up money for postage and not that you saved up money to send to me, but I had to read that twice! ;) You are so sweet to not only knit for this, but to save money for the postage!! :heart:

Some people have put their items into plastic baggies and others haven't, but everything has arrived nice and clean, so whatever is easiest for you is great.

Thank you so much!!
kimmie

kimmie
03-25-2006, 12:46 AM
More generally, in trying to write down the requested diagonal eyelet blanket pattern I am going back and making another one to remind myself what I did and try to fix the shape a bit (the first one is more of a slanted square). So the pattern will be posted soon and hopefully I will finish the fourth blanket in time to send it too!

Hi Jennifer!
I'll pm you my address right away too! Thank you for working up the pattern to your beautiful diagonal eyelet blanket AND for making another one as you write it up! You do such lovely work!

Jenelle
03-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Hi Jenelle - I will pm you my address right away. I know you meant that you saved up money for postage and not that you saved up money to send to me, but I had to read that twice! ;) You are so sweet to not only knit for this, but to save money for the postage!! :heart:

Some people have put their items into plastic baggies and others haven't, but everything has arrived nice and clean, so whatever is easiest for you is great.

Thank you so much!!
kimmie

Whoa I didn't notice all the typos there. :shock: I mean't I'll send them out tomorrow, by the latest, next wednesday or thursday.

I've had a looong day :rofling:

I'll separate everything into seperate baggies, and get them into an envelope that we have(I could get about 4 sets of booties and hats into that).

Thanks so much!

Cristy
03-25-2006, 09:46 AM
YAY :cheering: ! You got my items! :)

All of the items you are posting are soooo beautiful!!!

The heart blanket is an interesting pattern....much more difficult to keep up with than I generally like but it's such a cute pattern that I had to do it!

kimmie
03-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi Jenelle!

I didn't even see the typos! I just wanted to make sure that you didn't send me money! I am the queen of typographical errors. The little edit button is one of my favorites and I fix many of my posts when I notice errors later.
Thank you so much for all you've done!

samm
03-25-2006, 06:45 PM
No I wasn't horrified that the colours didn't look exactly as they really do. ;) Not a problem. Yes, the blankies are crocheted. I love that stitch because it doesn't look so crocheted, if you know what I mean! Crochet is quicker for me when I'm doing something like this. And time was a bit limited. The hats are knitted, though. Such teeny little hats, eh? (that was a Canadian "eh" for you!) :lol: I plan to see what I can do in my own area now that my donation person has stopped doing it. I love doing the preemie hats, particularly. If you are going to do this once in a while I would donate to you too! :heart: samm

DotMom61
03-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Kim --

I'm so glad you got my package safely! And thank you for posting another picture. ;-) I thought it was appropriate that the stitch pattern was called "Dot Stitch." ha ha.

samm
03-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Is that lovely little heart blanket pattern available somewhere? I'd like to try it. All the baby things are so beautiful. If anyone can steer me to the heart pattern, I'd appreciate it. :heart: :heart: :heart: thanks! samm

Jenelle
03-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Sam did you get the PM I sent you about the baby blankets?

Cristy
03-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Samm...here's a link to the heart blanket:
http://www.frugalhaus.com/scripts/dlblnkt.asp

kimmie
03-27-2006, 06:02 PM
I talked to the bereavement coordinator at the hospital today and scheduled a time on April 5th to bring all of the things everyone has made and take photos to show you. :cheering: I'm so thankful to all of you for this! It chokes me up whenever I think about it - which is often!

Ingrid
03-27-2006, 06:05 PM
I guess I'd better get mine mailed out then! :shock:

Julie
03-27-2006, 06:22 PM
I mailed mine out today :thumbsup:

Weasley
03-27-2006, 07:13 PM
I learned about this project through Treeling very recently and am very eager to get involved. It is a such a wonderful and caring project. I wish I had learned about it earlier.

I have a pair of booties and a hat that I just finished that I would love to donate. Hopefully, I can still make the April 5th deadline. Kimmie, if you wouldn't mind PMing me your address I will put them in the mail this week. I will also try to make a blanket to go with before sending off, if I have time.

aylaanne
03-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Hey kimmie, if you can send me your address, I can drop the two tiny preemie hats I have into the mail. I was going to make a few more before I sent them but I wanted to get something in before deadline.

I really enjoyed this project, thank you for doing it.

samm
03-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Yes I did receive your message. I just sent you two back. I've been out all day and didn't get to my mail until just now. :D samm

samm
03-27-2006, 08:13 PM
:D Thank you so much for the link to the heart blanket. I think it is beautiful and will give me a break from boring mindless knitting! A little thinking never hurt anyone, right? Thanks for sending this. samm

Rennagayle
03-27-2006, 08:56 PM
I plan to mail mine on Wednesday. I know that's cutting it close, but that should be enough time for them to get there. I'll mail them Priority Mail, just to be safe.

Jenelle
03-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Sam I wanted to thank you for the pattern for the blankets you made :)

Here's a picture of one that I started-

mks22300
03-27-2006, 09:46 PM
I finished 2 more hats this weekend. I wish that I could have made more than 3, but I guess that doesn't matter much, does it? Gotta take some pictures of them then I'll be able to send them on their way! I better send them priority too so they'll get there in time!

kimmie
03-27-2006, 11:06 PM
I guess I'd better get mine mailed out then! :shock:

The time went soooo fast, didn't it??

kimmie
03-27-2006, 11:08 PM
I mailed mine out today :thumbsup:

:cheering: Yay! I'll be on the lookout for it!

kimmie
03-27-2006, 11:11 PM
I have a pair of booties and a hat that I just finished that I would love to donate. Hopefully, I can still make the April 5th deadline. Kimmie, if you wouldn't mind PMing me your address I will put them in the mail this week. I will also try to make a blanket to go with before sending off, if I have time.

I'm so glad that you found out about this! It's so thoughtful of you to donate the hat and booties and maybe a blanket on such short notice. I'll pm you my address right now.

kimmie
03-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Hey kimmie, if you can send me your address, I can drop the two tiny preemie hats I have into the mail. I was going to make a few more before I sent them but I wanted to get something in before deadline.

I really enjoyed this project, thank you for doing it.

Aylaanne, I'll pm you right now. Thank you so much for making the little hats! I'm so glad you enjoyed doing this!

Ingrid
03-27-2006, 11:22 PM
I finished the little sweater, and as soon as I get the buttons on it tomorrow I'll send it and the hats I made out. I finished another hat today, so I think I have 5. I just need to find them in all the baskets. ;) The sweater's not itty-bitty; my daughter agrees with me that it might fit a newborn for a very short while--like on the way home, but a preemie will get more use from it, I hope.

kimmie
03-27-2006, 11:23 PM
I plan to mail mine on Wednesday. I know that's cutting it close, but that should be enough time for them to get there. I'll mail them Priority Mail, just to be safe.

Thanks Renna! It's going to be like a holiday around here with all the packages coming!!

I so wish you could all be here to share in this part of it. I'll do my best to photograph everything. If any of my fellow Illinoisians feel like heading my direction on April 5th, just let me know and we'll deliver them together!

kimmie
03-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Jenelle - that is a pretty blanket you are working on!

kimmie
03-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Ingrid!!
The sweater is so precious!! You are so talented!

kimmie
03-27-2006, 11:32 PM
I finished 2 more hats this weekend. I wish that I could have made more than 3, but I guess that doesn't matter much, does it? Gotta take some pictures of them then I'll be able to send them on their way! I better send them priority too so they'll get there in time!

You made a lot!! Thank you so much!!

Jenelle
03-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Ingrid do you have a pattern for that sweater? It's so adorable!

Cristy
03-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Beautiful sweater Ingrid...if I didn't like you so much I'd probably hate you b/c your so dang good... :notworthy:

Samm--I'm sure you'll enjoy the heart pattern--I did and everyone who saw it loved it. I did it in cottontots.

Good night everyone...I need some sleep! :zzz:

Ingrid
03-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Ingrid do you have a pattern for that sweater? It's so adorable!

It's just the top-down raglan from KPC--the one that Jan made (I can't set up a link here from work)--it's the one made in a varegated yarn. The bear came from another pattern and I just added the stripes and edging.

I've never done intarsia on a cardigan before--if I'd thought about it, I would have been a bit neater on the inside. You can't see messy backs in a pullover. ;)

samm
03-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Ingrid that is such a beautiful sweater. I love the little bear. Someone will be lucky to receive it. :D samm

samm
03-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks, Cristy! I'm glad you mentioned the yarn you used. I like Cotton Tots a lot. It will make a soft cosy blanket. I've printed the pattern for my ever expanding file! samm

Jenelle
03-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks Ingrid.. I have that pattern printed out and in my knitting book. :)

jessi_9783
03-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Hey everyone

First of all, everyones stufff looks AMAZING!!! I'm sorry I've been MIA. I've been hanging out with my best friend Ashley a lot because earlier in her pregnancy she found out she's probably going to have a Down Syndrome baby. She has a condition that she didn't know she had that makes her more likely to have a Down's baby. For every 200 pregnant women with the condtion only one of them won't have a Down's baby. Now that she only has few weeks until he's born we've been hanging out and having fun at her two baby showers. The first shower was with her family and her second shower was with our friends and it's the only shower I've been to where alcohol was served. It made the baby games more fun! :) Although it felt wierd to be drinking when Ashley couldn't. I don't drink much but when I do I'm usually drinking with her.

Anyways, let me say thank you to everyone who said such nice things about my mom and I. And Ellen, my mom was up against a lot especially after my daddy and his family didn't step up to the plate because I wasn't "perfect." Total strangers have helped my mom with me more than my daddy and his family. But that's their loss because I was a pretty neat kid growing up and they missed it.

Kimmie, would you please PM your address. I'll try and have my mom send out my items tomorrow.

kimmie
03-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Jessi - I pmed you my address, so hopefully you have it now! Thanks!

Margie!! Your box just arrived and everything is so precious and sooooft and I'm so curious about the big blanket and how you did that. I have to run, but I can't wait to post pictures tomorrow. Thank you!!!

margie
03-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Kimmie, the big blanket was made by my mom. She crochets- I think that she used some kind of loom to make each square and then crocheted them together. I'll have to ask her next time I talk to her- I forgot that I had that blanket in the box- she gave it to me way back when I first started knitting things for this project!! I'm glad everything got to you okay!

Ingrid
03-28-2006, 11:42 PM
I'll be getting my hats and little sweater off to you tomorrow! ;) Thank you so much for starting this!

Barefootmama
03-29-2006, 01:12 AM
I mailed the little white blanket I did at the end of last week. I can't wait to see pictures of the lot of stuff going to the hospital! :heart:

kimmie
03-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Hi Everyone!

It sounds like my mail box will be getting a workout this week! Yay!

I've been thinking about the drawing and what the best way to do it is. There's the tried and true "names in a hat" method, which suits me just fine, but I was wondering if there might be some website out there where you can plug in names and it randomly picks. Do any of you know if something like that exists?

Thanks!
kimmie

tab
03-29-2006, 01:59 PM
You could make a list of all the names on your computer and assign a number to each one (eg 1. Julie, 2. punkhippiemom, 3. margie and so on) and then use randomizer.org (http://www.randomizer.org/form.htm) to generate two random numbers between 1 and however many people participated. Just an idea.

kimmie
03-29-2006, 04:45 PM
You could make a list of all the names on your computer and assign a number to each one (eg 1. Julie, 2. punkhippiemom, 3. margie and so on) and then use randomizer.org (http://www.randomizer.org/form.htm) to generate two random numbers between 1 and however many people participated. Just an idea.

oooohhhh! That just might do the trick! Thanks!

Now I'm going to go open the THREE packages that were between my doors just now and snap some pictures. :cheering: Stay tuned...

Jenelle
03-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Kimmie I'll be sending out some hats tomorrow. I have two done and another one to go, and I'll send them out. I really hope they get there before you take the items to the hospital.

kimmie
03-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Kimmie I'll be sending out some hats tomorrow. I have two done and another one to go, and I'll send them out. I really hope they get there before you take the items to the hospital.

Don't worry, Jenelle, I will still bring the hospital anything that arrives after I officially deliver what has been made. Never fear!

kimmie
03-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Now for the latest pictures! :cheering:

Everyone did such a lovely job. I continue to feel so lucky that I can see the details and touch the softness on these precious little things. I just wish so much that I could share that experience with all of you! The camera just doesn't do them justice.

:heart: :heart: :heart: kimmie

Weasley
03-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Kimmie-

Yay, I was able to make that blanket to go with the hat and booties!

They are in the mail as of today and was told that the package should get there on Saturday.

Rennagayle
03-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Everything is SO lovely! :D

AnreeAce
03-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Kimmie,

I got two tiny blankets in the mail today, they should get to you Saturday or Monday.

Thanks so much for starting this project!

Jan in CA
03-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Everything looks adorable!

Kimmie, I mailed mine tonite. Unfortunately I forgot to stick the note in before the big envelope was sealed so it'll come w/o one. Sorry about that. :oops:

Ellen Edwards
03-30-2006, 02:23 AM
Hey everyone!! I've not been around for awhile either, I'm afraid!! I got my few things sent today--but if I'd looked at these wonderful things--I don't think I'd have sent it off!! Your things are all beautiful, and I think you are all wonderful for doing this project!! It's really been a dear one to me, and I've thought a lot about my own experiences since we've had this KnitAlong, thanks to Kimmie. It's been such a good thing, and I can't wait for another rewarding Knit Along to do--it's made all the difference, knowing these little things are going to be such a blessing to some one who has some grieving to do. It can be my way of grieving along with them when I can't be there!!

Love to you all!!

kimmie
03-30-2006, 09:44 AM
Weasley, AnreeAce, Jan and Trudy -
Thank you so much for sending off your packages! I think I'm going to seriously need to get a great big Rubbermaid container on wheels to bring everything!!

Lisa1216
03-30-2006, 11:11 AM
kimmie, I sent out a blanket today. You should get it on Monday. Everyone's items are BEAUTIFUL!! It does look like you will need a large bin to get everything to the hospital :happydance:

Thanks again for a great KAL! :heart:

mks22300
03-30-2006, 07:11 PM
I sent you out a package today too, Kimmie. Hopefully it will arrive by early next week!

horve1
03-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Hi Kimmie -
This whole project is so amazing! I'm sending my little package out to you tomorrow. Hope you get it in time.
Amy

Ingrid
03-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Mine went out yesterday.

horve1
03-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Kimmie - Help!!! I lost your address!!!!!!!

kimmie
03-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Amy - I pmed you my address, so hopefully you have it now!

Ingrid, mks and Lisa - I'll keep my eyes peeled for the mail lady!

Holly - your package arrived today with your cute little hats and blanket! Thank you, thank you!!

I'll be posting pictures either tomorrow or Saturday for sure! My family is telling me that my Kodak program is taking up too much computer memory space, so I need to figure out what to do about this little dilemma. This is a great learning experience for me!

Thank you everyone!!

horve1
03-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks again, Kimmie. They'll be on the way in the morning.
I kept thinking so many things while I was making these - about my DH's baby Kenny he lost in his first marriage... about the people I hope these will bring a touch of comfort to... And while I was making this sweater, I was finishing up a sweater for my son. The contrast between the two ... I don't know how to put it into words. I guess you'd call it gratitude for being so blessed with my wonderful, healthy, son and daughter - but that doesn't seem like a big enough word to capture how overwhelming the feeling was.

Rennagayle
03-31-2006, 12:37 AM
My package went out this afternoon, Priority Mail. I would think it will be there by Monday. I sent two blankets and four teeny little hats.

monzogary
03-31-2006, 12:18 PM
Kimmie, please PM me your address so I can get my items sent out to you when they come out of the wash this afternoon.
Thanks!

sara_jayne
03-31-2006, 12:43 PM
Kimmie -

I don't know if it is the pictures or the software that is taking up to much room....but if it is the pictures have you thought about using an on-line photo album to store your pictures? I use www.kodakgallery.com (it is free) and really enjoy it - it also gives you the ability to order pictures if needed, make picture CDs and share albums with others (who can then order pictures). If you click my www button it takes you to my knitting projects album if you wanted to get a feel for it. All pictures that I post on here are linked to that website so I don't have to store anything on my computer. I know others use some other programs to store pictures (photo bucket maybe??) so there are other options out there.

:) I hope this helps in some random way!

knitterma
03-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Sent my little package today! :happydance:

kimmie
03-31-2006, 07:18 PM
Renna, Mary, Amy and Bridgette - I'll be eagerly awaiting your packages! Thank you!!

Amy - thank you for sharing your feelings about baby Kenny and the knitting you've been doing for this project and for your own son. I know I think alot about the babies and parents who will receive these things from everyone too...I think all of us do. I think that those thoughts and the caring are all knitted up inside (whoa, is that way too deep??) and that makes these things even more special!

Sara - thanks for the Kodak information. I'm definitely going to look into that.

Three more packages came today...from AnreeAce, Weasley and Trudy. Very lovely!! I will get pictures taken of the newest arrivals and Holly's too this evening.

AnreeAce is my new very best friend in life :D because she sent me gourmet cookies from her local chocolatier. :inlove: That was a very nice surprise! Thank you!! I'll take a picture of them too so the rest of you can see them.

Thank you everyone!!! Photos should be up this evening!

Ellen Edwards
03-31-2006, 08:18 PM
Great way to put that, Kimmie, that our caring thoughts are all knitted up inside our little contributions!! :inlove: I only did 2 or 3 little blankies and a couple of tiny hats, but the sweaters, booties, hats and blankets I've seen that you've all done are absolutely beautiful!! :heart:

Except for THEAMYPROJECT, this is the first knit-along I've ever been a part of. I always do things at the last minute, and I don't like deadlines, really, even though we had PLENTY of time to get these things in to Kimmie! :shock: I still didn't send what I had ready until almost April....I don't know why I am this way, but if I join another KA, I think I'll try to be one of the first ones to get mine done and mailed in!! I always am thinking, "Wow--now is when I'd like to live next door to the Post Office!"--until I think of all the traffic I'd be hearing! :roflhard: By the way, when I took it to the PO, the woman who helped me pick the postal pack to put the tiny things in asked me what they were and who they were for. When I told her , she was really touched, and related a story of how her sister-in-law had lost a baby recently. Every time I've mentioned this KA to someone, I've been touched to hear stories like that one. So many of us have had this experience personally, and if not, have had a family member or close friend that it's happened to! It was a great Knit Along, Kimmie!

kimmie
03-31-2006, 08:44 PM
Here are the latest pictures. As always, my camera doesn't do justice to these precious little items, so my apologies for that!! Thank you all for all the work and love that went into these. :heart: kimmie

jhelanee
03-31-2006, 09:10 PM
I sent my box off by Priority Mail this morning. They said it should be delivered on Monday.

My fourth blanket ended up with a "design element" after I ran out of the pink and green yarn I had been using: I put a white hood on it (picture does not do it justice - the hood part is much flatter after being blocked)

I will post the diagonal eyelet blanket pattern soon, hopefully this weekend.

MaryB
04-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Kimmie, a package is on the way from Palatine.

kimmie
04-01-2006, 02:38 PM
The mail carrier just brought packages from mks and Renna :cheering: with more precious little baby items (and a very sweet bookmark from Renna!) Thank you!! I will post pictures later on today hopefully!

MaryB & Jennifer - thanks for letting me know that you mailed your packages. I can't wait to see everything!!

aylaanne
04-01-2006, 11:03 PM
here are the preemie hats I haven't mailed yet.

kimmie
04-02-2006, 12:35 AM
aylaanne - your little hats are so cute! You did a great job knitting in the round for the very first time. It's fun, isn't it?? Thank you!!

Here are photos of what came in today's mail from mks and Renna. Thank you both!! Everything is lovely. :heart: :heart: :heart:

mks22300
04-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Oh Kimmie, I'm so glad that you got them! I didn't think that they'd get there that fast!

KatyKoolkat
04-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Kimmie:
I am working as fast as I can on these items, but I just don't think they will be done until the end of next week (life tends to throw curve balls just where you don't need them sometimes!). Are you still going to donate them?

TIA

kimmie
04-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Katy, I completely and totally understand about life's curveballs. I hope everything is okay. I know that things are going to arrive from several people after I deliver everything on Wednesday. I will absolutely continue to bring things over to the hospital as they come in, so please don't worry about that.

I'll keep posting pictures and updates as things come in. I'm doing the drawing on Tuesday and I'm already feeling bad about that because I want so much to be able to do something nice for each and every one of you. Every single person put their time and thoughtfulness into their items and I wish I had a way to express how moved I am by that and how special you all are.

horve1
04-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Kimmie - I don't think, from all the comments I've read, that any of us are doing this for the prizes. (Although at the same time we all think it's super nice of you to do that as a special treat for whoever happens to get them.) We're doing it because you inspired us to try to bring a tiny bit of comfort to people who really need some extra love. Letting us be part of this, you have already done something special for all of us.

Ingrid
04-03-2006, 07:58 AM
I agree, I totally forgot about the drawing!

kimmie
04-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Yes, I know that from the very start people have been doing this out of the goodness of their hearts and not for the drawing. I just meant that what you have all done means so much to me that I wish I could express that by giving something special to each of you!!

samm
04-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Kimmie you have given me something, just for me. And that is a feeling of being of help to someone in need. I had great pleasure making the tiny things, thinking about the babies and families. And a little sadness, which translated into being grateful that I am healthy, that my kids and grandkids are too. That is a huge gift! Thanks, samm

knitstress_tygher
04-03-2006, 04:23 PM
I've got a blanket and two hats ready to send out. I'll mail them later today, but here they are in a picture! It's my first two attempts at knitting in the round, and using DPNs ... I live it, even if these are so impossibly tiny!

kimmie
04-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Kimmie you have given me something, just for me. And that is a feeling of being of help to someone in need. I had great pleasure making the tiny things, thinking about the babies and families. And a little sadness, which translated into being grateful that I am healthy, that my kids and grandkids are too. That is a huge gift! Thanks, samm

That is so sweet, samm! :heart: Thank you!

kimmie
04-03-2006, 04:30 PM
I've got a blanket and two hats ready to send out. I'll mail them later today, but here they are in a picture! It's my first two attempts at knitting in the round, and using DPNs ... I live it, even if these are so impossibly tiny!

The picture didn't post yet, but I can't wait to see them!! Thank you so much for knitting for this project!

knitstress_tygher
04-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Bah! Here they are.

kimmie
04-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Drumroll please.......

Today my mail lady brought SIX packages and one of them was from SWEDEN! The goodness and caring of all of you and the fact that it stretches around the globe is overwhelmingly wonderful.

So, here are the pictures of all the precious little things taken with my woefully inadequate camera. Thank you all so very, very much!!

kimmie
04-03-2006, 05:41 PM
But wait!! There's more!! The UPS man just came to my door with another package from Lisa and it had this beautiful little baby blanket in it. Thank you!!!!

jamadian75
04-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Kimmie,

Thanks again, it really is a very compassionate thing that you've done to organize this. I know my items won't make the deadline, but I thought I'd send a picture anyway. They will go out priority mail tomorrow.

http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/295/8256/400/KAL_Blanket%26Hat.jpg

This was also a great reminder of what you can do with a little yarn and a little time. Everyone's gifts look amazing!! :heart:

Ellen Edwards
04-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Kimmie --I second what horve1 said back a page or 2 ago!! You've made us all feel good by allowing us to do this together and with you!! You've already said "THANKS" a million times--that's more than enough! :heart:

Rennagayle
04-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Indeed, Ellen! Kimmie, by giving us this opportunity to participate, you gave us all a chance to share in the blessing of knowing we've done something good and positive and helpful. In our busy lives of just trying to get our families needs met for another day or week, etc., it's easy to forget there's a hurting world out there. It blessed us as much, I think, as it will bless those receiving.

I can't get over how very beautiful all the items are. What an amazing group of knitters! :D

knitterma
04-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Everything looks wonderful! :heart:

Kimmie - I know this project started as an assignment for grad school ... what has the reaction been from your instructor? Or haven't you received any feedback yet? Do they know you deserve an A++++++++ AND 700 GOLD STARS?!?

:cheering:

kimmie
04-03-2006, 11:07 PM
jamadian - your blanket and hat look so nice and soft! :heart:

You all are saying the sweetest things! I'm glad that you liked the project. I was so nervous at the beginning and wondered if anyone at all would join in and now look at all of you wonderful, kind knitters!!

Bridgette - This is a rather unique class in that it meets one weekend a month for three months. The first weekend I decided what I wanted to do. The second weekend we got into groups and talked about how our projects were going so far. This coming weekend I'll turn in a paper about it and give a little talk about how it went. We also turn in a folder filled with things related to our project, so I'll have pictures of everything and the little notes you wrote, etc. I wanted to print off this whole thread, but I can't figure out how to do that. I've tried just hitting "print" but it cuts off the right margin. I've also tried cutting and pasting, but it doesn't come out right for me. sigh. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know!

So, I got off track there...I don't have any idea what kind of grade I'll get at this point, but in my opinion, this has been a success on so many levels. My original purpose was to meet a need that the hospital had and to provide a small comfort to parents who had lost babies. I think we are going to achieve that. Beyond that though, I think this has been a healing thing for many of us as well as a way of building a community of caring here on this thread. I have been touched over and over again by the kindness of strangers who shared their time, skills, compassion and often their own stories of grief. So, while I have always liked to get good grades, I have got to say that if I don't get one this time, it doesn't matter because I think together we achieved more than I ever could have dreamed and that, my friends, is more important.

DotMom61
04-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Kim --

Perhaps you could give your instructor a link to this thread as part of your documentation????

All of the items are just beautiful ... it makes me want to make more!!! :XX:

catownedanna
04-04-2006, 01:10 AM
I'm thrilled my package arrived at your house in time, kimmie! I can't believe how fast that was. I put it in the mail last Wednesday and you had it the following Monday!!! :cheering:

Thanks for organizing this for us!!!

Rennagayle
04-04-2006, 01:13 AM
I thought mine made it to Kimmi in record-breaking time, from Thursday afternoon to Saturday, but mine was mailed within the same country. Who knew mail could get here from Sweden so swiftly? :shock:

margie
04-04-2006, 09:00 AM
You never know with the mail--------I think that the package from Sweden got to Kimmie more quickly than a package that I mailed from PA to Texas!
:rollseyes:

Kimmie, I just have to echo what so many others have already said- this has been a wonderful experience, and knowing that these families will have some small bit of comfort is such a nice feeling. I hope that you receive super-positive feedback from your instructor!!!!

:heart:

Lisa1216
04-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Ditto~I agree with everyone else. This has been a wonderful KAL. :heart:
Thank you again for organizing this. I loved doing it! Everyone's things are beautiful!

(Oh, and thanks for taking a pic of the blanket I sent. I forgot to take one before I sent it out :doh: )

Jan in CA
04-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Mine hasn't come yet? I thought sure it would be there by now! :( :??

kimmie
04-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Jan - yours came in today's mail, along with Ingrid's and Bridgette's. I am working on the pictures right now, so they should be up this afternoon. :cheering:

Just in case UPS should bring anything later today, I'll do the drawing this evening. I can't believe that tomorrow is the big day!! I won't be able to post tomorrow's pictures until Wednesday night, but I can't wait to share them with everyone!

kimmie
04-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words and votes of confidence!! I appreciate them all.

Dotmom - I think I'll use your idea of just using the link. That'll save the lives of many trees if I don't print out everything!

Okay - here are the lovelies that arrived in my mailbox today!! It is such a wonderful, yet strange feeling to hold these little things, these tangible links to you all. As always, I wish I could share that part of it with everyone...seeing the details and feeling the yarns... it's really something!!

Jenelle
04-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Kimmie - I wasn't able to get anything sent out over the weekend. I want to knit more things so that I can get it all into a box and send it off.

Everyone's items are so precious :heart:

monzogary
04-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Alas, I did not get my items sent until today :( . They went out Priority mail and the P.O. lady said it should get there Thursday. I was going to send them out on Saturday, but I ended up with a sick kid and I threw my back out a bit so we didn't venture out until today. I really enjoy seeing everyone else's wee little things in pictures here, they are very nice :) . I didn't get to take pics of the last few things I got done as I just wanted to get them out in the mail as soon as possible.
Thanks again for the chance to do such a nice thing for people Kimmie, it was a good thing all around - I used up some of my stash and made nice little things that will hopefully give people some comfort.

Rennagayle
04-04-2006, 05:17 PM
I am in awe of the new things you posted today, Kimmie. They are simply beautiful. :inlove:

kimmie
04-04-2006, 06:30 PM
knitstress_tygher - I was just looking through the posts and realized that I hadn't seen the pictures you posted of the beautiful little things you made!! How could I have missed them?? They are lovely!! :heart:

Those of you whose packages will arrive a little later- I just realized that you have done me a tremendous favor... when I give my little talk for my class, I can show what you've done and that will be so much better than just showing pictures. It'll be sort of a "show-and-tell" for me! Then in another week or two after they've all arrived, I'll deliver them to the hospital. So, thank you for giving me the chance to use your little works of art and love in that way before they get used for the real purpose!

mks22300
04-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Everyone has done such a wonderful job!
Kimmie, this is the first KAL that I've been part of and I'm so glad that I chose to do this. Like so many others have said, thank you for organising all this!

knitterma
04-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Haha that's so weird seeing something I made posted by someone else! :D

So glad everything got there OK! I can't wait to see the pics of you donating them! :happydance: I'll be thinking of you tomorrow as I'll be at my maternity clinical in the morning! :)

kimmie
04-04-2006, 11:38 PM
And the winners are.....

Manos del Uruguay - MaryB

Noro Kureyon - Yvonne

and I had a couple spare balls of things to play with so I "drew" two more names with the random generator...

Lisa1216 - Numei Stained Glass (there are some posts about this yarn and it makes a beautiful fancy scarf)

Barefootmama - Cascade Fixation

Of course, you are all winners in my book and I :heart: you all!!

Here are pictures of the yarn, but as usual the colors are a bit off due to my camera issues!

DotMom61
04-05-2006, 12:38 AM
:cheering: Congratulations, ladies! You deserve the "treats!" :cheering:

MaryB
04-05-2006, 02:03 AM
I'm touched! Thank you, Kimmie, for the beautiful yarn. More importantly, thank you for providing us the opportunity to knit something for the tiny ones who will be wrapped in love------------from us.

Yvonne
04-05-2006, 07:10 AM
Wow! I can't believe it. To think I will get that lovely yarn after being allowed to participate in this touching and worthwhile project!
I know what I'll do: I'll make something and "pay it forward."
Thanks Kimmie!

margie
04-05-2006, 07:38 AM
Congratulations, winners!! :cheering:

Ingrid
04-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Great job, everyone! Congratulation! :cheering:

Lisa1216
04-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Thanks kimmie! The yarn is beautful!! I like Yvonne's idea of paying it forward. :thumbsup: So someone can enjoy something made especially for them. Thanks again! :heart:
Can't wait to see pics of you at the hospital with all of the items!

Rennagayle
04-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Yea! Congratulations to those who won the yarn, but like someone else already said, we are all winners in this project! :cheering:

Kimmie, regardless of the grade you get in your class, I think I speak for everyone here when I say you get an A+ from us. :thumbsup:

knitterma
04-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Yayyyy congrats ! :cheering:

Lookin forward to those pics this evening! :happydance:

kimmie
04-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to pop in and tell you that I dropped off everything this morning and it all went very well. I wish I could have tape recorded everything so that you could have heard the bereavement coordinator oohing and ahhing over everything everyone made. She was really appreciative of all that you have done. I had a friend come with me to help me carry the huge container of things and she also took pictures. I will tell you that I really, really do NOT like these pictures of me and it is only due to my overdeveloped sense of honesty that I am refraining from telling you that the camera broke or I forgot it or something. I will download and post the pictures tonight, after thngs quiet down in the house.

Thank you all SO MUCH for making this project was it was!! I'll post the pictures and write more later on tonight when I have more time to collect my thoughts.

Barefootmama
04-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Thank you so much Kim for doing this! I feel honored to have been a part of it and even more so for winning the beautiful yarn. I can't wait to see the pictures you took! :heart:

momwolf
04-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Thanks Kimmie for leting us help you in your schooling :D Not only did you do a wonderful thing for those babies and there families in your hospital,but think of all the hospitals around the world that are now going to have us continue making things for our hospitals in our own home towns.Babies and families everywhere thank you. :heart: :heart: :heart: and I thank you :thumbsup:
And to all the Knitters, you all did a beautiful job on baby items!!!!!!!!!!!They were heart warming to see :heart:

AnreeAce
04-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Congratulations to the winners! To tell the truth, I'd forgotten about the raffles altogether.

Kimmie, I'd like to join the rest in thanking you for this KAL. It's been wonderful to participate. It's reminded me that no comfort is ever too small, and that no kind gesture is misplaced. I'll never meet the families who use the blankets I made, but I like to think of them out there in the world.

To my fellow participants, I stand in awe of your generosity, your compassion, your workmanship, and your humor.

I think we're all lucky to have each other.

samm
04-05-2006, 07:29 PM
I feel really kinda weird that this is over. Of course it isn't really over, because what we've started here together because of Kimmie, we can continue in our own areas. But it does feel sad a little that this group I've joined will not just be here forever! I hope to see you all in another KAL or somewhere else in the knitting world. I've felt valued here and have warm feelings toward all of you who have worked with me to help with this project. This one has been extra special. :heart: samm

Ellen Edwards
04-05-2006, 08:33 PM
I want to congratulate the winners also!!! :cheering: And second what Samm is saying!! I'm going to miss this Knit-Along, and checking in everyday to see what everyone was doing. :(

Kim--you've been SO very thoughtful to put pictures up and take care of all those little bundles you've received until you finished your class and took the things to the hospital!! You've been a very busy lady!! I don't know if I'll EVER head up a Knit Along after seeing how busy this kept you, and how much time you've put in just being here for everyone!! You've done a great job, and I want to congratulate YOU, Kimmie!! :heart:

Ellen Edwards
04-05-2006, 08:34 PM
I want to congratulate the winners also!!! :cheering: And second what Samm is saying!! I'm going to miss this Knit-Along, and checking in everyday to see what everyone was doing. :(

Kim--you've been SO very thoughtful to put pictures up and take care of all those little bundles you've received until you finished your class and took the things to the hospital!! You've been a very busy lady!! I don't know if I'll EVER head up a Knit Along after seeing how busy this kept you, and how much time you've put in just being here for everyone!! You've done a great job, and I want to congratulate YOU, Kimmie!! :heart: YOU ARE A VERY COMPASSIONATE KNITTER! :heart:

Ellen Edwards
04-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Oh, and Kimmie--NONE of us ever likes pictures taken of ourselves!! I've never met any woman who says, "I really love THIS picture of myself!!" :D

It's just one of those things...but we know that beauty goes SO much deeper than skin. The older I get, the more I realize this. ;)

kimmie
04-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Aw, you all say the kindest things. Samm and Trudy, you voiced exactly what I'm feeling - sadness that it's pretty much over, except that I'll get to do it a little bit more as the last packages come in! This kept me busy, but it was a very gratifying kind of busy...a WONDERFUL kind of busy for so many reasons.

We did such a good thing for people we'll never meet. The bereavement coordinator was so impressed by all the beautiful things and by the quantity. I shared with her how this has been a healing thing for many of us...how these little baby things came not only from all over the United States, but from Canada and Sweden as well. I know that made as big an impact on her as it has on me.

It has been an amazing experience getting to "know" you and frankly, there just isn't a nicer bunch of people to be found. The Internet is a fantastic thing, as evidenced by what we've accomplished, but darn it, I wish we could all get together!!

Thank you for all you have done, reaching out to help me with my project and more importantly, to help others who will receive some extra comfort just when they need it most.

Okay - Final totals...
67 Blankets
96 Hats
6 pairs of booties
11 bonnets
3 sweaters
4 pairs of baby mittens
7 fetal demise pouches
2 gowns
Compassionate Knitting Project - Priceless :D
I am so amazed at how many wonderful things were knitted!! That's a lot of knitting and love!! Thank you :heart: so much!!

And now...for the pictures...

knitterma
04-05-2006, 10:51 PM
:heart: Thanks so much for sharing the pictures! They are GREAT!

knitterma
04-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Also, the final tally is WONDERFUL! Great job everyone!!!

Ingrid
04-05-2006, 10:54 PM
:shock: We done good! The pictures are lovely! You look lovely! This whole thing brought out the loveliness in all of us! :cheering:

Rennagayle
04-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Sheesh, Kimmie, I don't know what you were worried about. You are positively lovely! :D

catownedanna
04-06-2006, 02:03 AM
I'm sitting here with goose bumps all over my body. Seeing how much we accomplished in a table as the one kimmie presented... Unbelievable. And seeing the pictures from the hospital made this whole thing so real to me.

That's my blanket up there! In the hands of a woman who will give this to someone who needs it. :heart:

WOW! Kimmie, you started a great thing here. THANK YOU!

And thanks to all the rest of you who inspired me to make a blanket and send it over the Atlantic. If I hadn't seen the wonderful things you all made, and the quantity that it all added up to, I probably wouldn't have the courage to make a blanket on my own and participate. Thank you! :heart:

Lisa1216
04-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Beautiful pictures! I too had goose bumps and also wispy eyes when I looked at them. I also want to thank you Kimmie for starting this KAL and coordinating it all. You have done a wonderful job. I glad I was able to participate in this, my first KAL. Again, thank you so much for all you have done. Good luck on your class presentation. :thumbsup:

(by the way, you look great in the pictures!!)

margie
04-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks for posting the pictures, Kimmie! I'm so glad that everything went well. Good luck with your class presentation!!

AnreeAce
04-06-2006, 09:59 AM
It's hard to type when you're all chocked up and your eyes are all misty, but I'll give it a shot.

Those totals just blow me away, and the pictures are great (Kimmie, you're beautiful!) :heart:

I'm so glad I managed to put my insecurities about my knitting aside and participate in this. Many many thinks to you Kimmie, and to my fellow knitters, for reminding me how generous people can be.

Rennagayle
04-06-2006, 10:16 AM
AnreeAce,

I'm so glad I managed to put my insecurities about my knitting aside and participate in this. Many many thinks to you Kimmie, and to my fellow knitters, for reminding me how generous people can be.

I echo that sentiment! Though I began knitting about a year ago, I'd never had any classes or formal teaching (taught myself here). My progress has not been nearly so fast as many here; plus I put it all aside for a few months due to so much going on with family and extended family.

Anyway, I really felt no confidence in participating in a knit-along. The thought of committing to one was very intimidating to me; aside from the fact that I don't tend to finish things I start. I think it was a combination of the need presented, the camaradarie exhibited in this project, and Kimmie's warm encouragement which boosted me through it, and I am so glad I did. It almost feels like a little sub-family here, finding so many like-minded individuals. :heart:

Yvonne
04-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Wow, what pictures! Kimmie, you have no reason to be self-conscious about your pictures; you're beautiful!
Thank you so much for sharing the totals and the delivery photos with all of us. You deserve an A++++++++ on your project, but like others have said, what is really important is the long-lasting impact this eye-opening project will have on all of us who were fortunate enough to participate. Most important of all, can you even imagine the number of grieving families we will never know whose lives we will have had the privelege to touch?
It's mind-boggling to me.

Weasley
04-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Thank you for posting those pics. It is such a great thing you have put together. Amazing to see so many kind hearted people have gotten together to help.
It's wonderful to see how much good a group can do. Everyone's wonderful pieces will go to a little baby who needs it. It definitely makes my heart happy to have been able to help even just a little.

Jan in CA
04-06-2006, 02:21 PM
The pictures are awesome, Kim and the totals are amazing! I'm glad I could be a part of this and it's nice to know all our efforts will be put to such good use. Thanks for doing this!

kimmie
04-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks so much to everyone for all of the kind words and excitement. It means so much! :heart:

Today's mail brought 2 packages of preciousness from monzogary and jamadian, so I will get pictures of those posted tonight and again, I am really thankful that I can show these lovely baby items to my classmates before I bring them over to the hospital.

Since I'm busily writing up my paper on this and will have class all weekend, I know I won't get the yarn mailed out until Monday, so my apologies for that. Thanks for understanding!

Yvonne
04-06-2006, 03:15 PM
When do you find out the grade?
And will you rush right to this board and tell all the comments your instructors made?

mks22300
04-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Wow! The total amount is amazing!! Again, I'm just so glad that I took part in this KAL. It will be a lasting memory, knitting those wee hats. I still can't imagine them being able to fit a baby...

samm
04-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Wow! I'm impressed with the totals! Thanks so much Kimmie for posting all the photos and letting us see where the little things went. You look positively radiant in the pictures! What a beautiful smile and a beautiful woman! It's so neat to actually see what you look like after all the contact we've had here! I have the feeling we'll all hang around a bit here hoping it continues somehow. I think I will. It's become a happy part of my day to come here and see the baby things others have made and to talk to the friends I've found here. Do let us know what your instructor says about what you've done! Can't wait! :heart: :heart: :heart: samm

kimmie
04-06-2006, 09:39 PM
I am just humbled by all the nice things you are writing. I don't know where to find the right words to say thanks to all of you for everything, but THANK YOU!!

I don't know when I'll find out my grade, but if you all really want to know, I'll let you know any comments etc I get. Really though, your comments about how you think it went and what it meant to you mean far more to me than any grade ever could. I know in my heart that it went really well and that we accomplished even more than I ever anticipated - not just in the sheer number of little items created and what those will mean to others, but also in terms of what it meant to come together as a group and cheer each other on and know that we did something special together. So, even if I got a bad grade, which I don't think will happen, but even if I did, it wouldn't change any of what really matters to me.

Okay - here are the pictures of what arrived today from the talented knitting needles of monzogary and jamadian :heart: They are sooooooo lovely!! Thank you!!!

Ellen Edwards
04-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Kim--I loved seeing you with the bereavement coordinator!! You're just as beautiful on the outside as you are on the inside!!!! You're as lovely as I thought you'd be when we pm'd each other--you've been so sweet this whole time-to take the pictures, and reassure us when we needed it!! But, it meant so much to all of us to be "with" you in that hospital, handing over those precious little bankies and hats, and other lovely things! :heart:

Thanks for the kinship -- to you, Kimmie-- and to ALL my fellow participants--I'm going to miss this little meeting place!! :crying:

I think I'll always make tiny tiny things from now on. I'll just always keep a little something on a set of needles--and when I have a few finished objects, I can take them to the hospital nearest me! :inlove:

Ingrid
04-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Those are beautiful!!

There was an ad in the paper today for a Walk to raise money for the hospital NICU or something along those lines. I didn't read the whole thing because I was riveted to the picture. There was a tiny preemie, lying on his mom's chest--wearing a knitted hat!!!!!

jhelanee
04-07-2006, 04:48 PM
For those who were interested, I have (finally) posted the pattern I made up for my Diagonal Eyelet Baby Blanket here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11703).

Happy knitting! :XX: :XX: :XX:

Pixywhispers
04-07-2006, 05:11 PM
There was an ad in the paper today for a Walk to raise money for the hospital NICU or something along those lines. I didn't read the whole thing because I was riveted to the picture. There was a tiny preemie, lying on his mom's chest--wearing a knitted hat!!!!!

On the way to my LYS I saw that picture (maybe the same one) on a billboard. I immidately thought of Kimmie and all the members of this KAL. : ) I dont think Ill ever be able to see a premie hat without thinking about you ladies.

kimmie
04-07-2006, 11:52 PM
For those who were interested, I have (finally) posted the pattern I made up for my Diagonal Eyelet Baby Blanket here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11703).

Happy knitting! :XX: :XX: :XX:

Thank you so much for posting that! You make such pretty blankets - it's great to have the pattern!

kimmie
04-08-2006, 12:00 AM
It's so nice to hear that many of you are continuing to think about this group and the little babies and parents out there. I was thinking it might be nice to do this annually - sort of like a reunion, except the more new people the merrier! My son was born in May and died in June, so around that time of the year I could organize this in his memory.

Well, my paper is done and my handouts are ready, so now I'm off to get some sleep before a weekend of school.

Thank you again to everyone!!

Lisa1216
04-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Good luck Kimmie!! We'll be thinking of you! :thumbsup:

samm
04-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Kim, I would love to do this annually. I have many projects on the go at any one time, including preemie stuff, but this has been so special, and I've loved working with others on it toward a common goal. I think this "collaborative effort" could be an annual memorial for your little guy. I'd love to do that. Anybody else think this would be a terrific thing to do? samm

Ingrid
04-08-2006, 06:02 PM
:waving: You can count me in!!

margie
04-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Me too!! :waving:

Rennagayle
04-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Me, too! I'm going to work on items all year long so I'll have more to contribute next time, and I tend to be a slow knitter. These teeny little items will make great breaks from more tedious projects, and the completion of them is more meaningful than with alot of other projects I do.

Oh, and Kimmie, you don't have to give away yarn each time we do it. For that matter, maybe everyone that participates could send in a dollar (or more), and that money could be used to buy the give-away yarn, then no one person would bear the financial brunt of paying for it. :D

Ingrid
04-08-2006, 08:40 PM
I doubt that anyone contributed solely for the chance at yarn. I say lets do ti for all the other benefits. I'll be knitting stuff here and there, too; for this project and for my own hospital.

Rennagayle
04-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Good idea, Ingrid.

I have been procrastinating calling my local hospital, to see if there's a need there.

Ellen Edwards
04-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Kimmie--you're a brave girl--after all the work you've done on this KA--to volunteer for another next year!! I'll be up for it, I hope!! Every year, my health seems to slip a little bit more, but I'm usually "up" for knitting!! How ever you want to let us know next year is fine with me, or I'll just try to remember to check the knit-Alongs more often than I had been doing. This one has appealed to me more than any I had seen before, and like Ingrid, I'll be doing some little things during the year for my local hospital, and keeping some back for yours next year. :XX:

kimmie
04-09-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi everybody! I'm back from my last weekend of class. Everything went really well. I did my presentation on Saturday and I got lots of good feedback on it. For those of you who have asked about my grade, I don't think I'll know anything until the end of Aprilish, but again, to me it was a success in more ways than I originally dreamed, so I'm happy regardless of whatever grade I get. This morning one of my classmates brought in a wee alpaca hat that she made last night for me to bring to the hospital. I thought that was so sweet. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Also, Saturday's mail brought the precious little pink hat that pixywhispers made, so I'll take a picture of that as well!

It's been a long weekend and it's time for me to get some sleep, but I wanted to say THANK YOU one more time and WELL DONE!

kimmie
04-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Here is the lovely, amazing hat by pixywhispers. Of course, as always, my picture of it pales in comparison to the hat itself as well as to the picture that pixywhisper took of its true essence! Thank you!!! It is so special and I love the story behind how it came to be! :heart: :heart: :heart:

The little off-white hat was done by a classmate of mine who heard my presentation on Saturday and brought this to class on Saturday. I thought that was soooo sweet of her!

I am finishing up one more fetal demise pouch and then in another week or so when I'm pretty sure everything has arrived, I'll make another delivery to the hospital.

margie
04-11-2006, 08:08 AM
I don't see a picture...... :??

kimmie
04-11-2006, 08:31 AM
I don't see a picture...... :??

ACK! I'll go edit that right now - sorry!!!

Jenelle
04-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Those are so adorable! :heart:

Cristy
04-12-2006, 10:13 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I found a group called newborns in need that has local chapters across the USA--they knit and crochet items for all sizes of newborns, PICU and NICU especially, and donate to the hospitals affiliated with their chapter. I am going to join up with this group in my area to continue donating these kinds of items. There is an art and expressions magazine that is published monthly for the south Metro Atlanta area. Monday night at my SNB I saw a copy at the coffee shop and picked it up...it had an article about a knitting group in a county south of us but had resources for people looking for places to donate. One of the resources mentioned was NIN and I went to the website and found that the local chapter for my area is located on the street I live on! I spoke w/ the area director and I'm going to their next meeting on May 6th. They meet once a month at one of the hospitals to work on items. I've got quite a stash of items already finished and I'm really looking forward to continuing this kind of work. Kimmie--thanks for introducing me to this idea--I'm so excited!!!
For anyone else who might be interested, their national web address is: http://www.newbornsinneed.org From there you can find local chapters in your state. Just thought I'd pass the word along! ;)

kimmie
04-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to share the letter that I got today from Lori Adams, the bereavement coordinator at Condell Hospital:

"Your efforts on behalf of our grieving families will be appreciated for several months to come. Please pass on to all of your volunteers our sincere thank you and let them know how much the items are appreciated. Thank you for putting together such a worthwhile project that benefits so many young families."

So, thank you all!! It was interesting too, to see again how great a need there is if ALL that knitting will last only several months. I think that most people feel very uncomfortable knitting the micro-sized baby items for babies that didn't survive, so I cannot express enough how thankful I am that you participated this in spite of the sadness that is part of it. Now all those little things you made are there, awaiting special little ones.

Cristy
04-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks for sharing Kimmie! :)