View Full Version : Compassionate Knitting Project - Please Read

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Rennagayle
04-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Yes, thanks again, Kimmie. :D

Pixywhispers
04-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Kimmie,

Thanks for sharing that. It made me cry.

kimmie
05-02-2006, 07:34 AM
Hello again, everyone!

Several of you had wanted to know what my grade wound up being for this project, so I thought I'd let you know that I got an "A". Yay! Really, it wasn't ME that got the A, but all of us, because we did it together and I could never, ever have done it alone. You were all truly amazing with your kindness and I'm always going to remember this. Thank you!!!

:heart: kimmie

Lisa1216
05-02-2006, 07:53 AM
:balloons: :balloons: :balloons:

Congratulations!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Rennagayle
05-02-2006, 08:54 AM
HooRay! Congratulations, Kimmie! :D

catownedanna
05-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Congratulations, kimmie!!! :cheering:

horve1
05-02-2006, 09:36 AM
:thumbsup: :cheering: :thumbsup: Thanks for letting us help, Kimmie!

margie
05-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Great job, Kimmie! Way to go! :cheering:

Ingrid
05-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Of course you got an A!! How could you have gotten anything else? :cheering:

jessi_9783
05-02-2006, 10:48 PM
http://friendsforever.foren-city.de/images/smiles/a084.gifCongrats Kimmie!!!http://friendsforever.foren-city.de/images/smiles/a084.gif

DotMom61
05-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Congrats, Kim!!! You deserve it!

kimmie
05-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all of the nice comments!! You are just the nicest bunch of people!

Yvonne
05-03-2006, 04:55 PM
I never doubted you'd get an A! Congratulations!
I was just thinking about this whole thing the other day. I was imagining that by now something we have made has been used. It's weird; of course we anticipated these tiny things would be used, but I wish there were no need and that they would go forgotten and dusty in some box in the utility room at the hospital. So sad.

mks22300
05-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Way to go Kimmie!!! :cheering: :thumbsup:

Cristy
05-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Congratulations!

KatyKoolkat
05-04-2006, 11:10 PM
congratulations!!! Way to go!!

samm
05-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Proud of you Kimmie! :cheering: I still have fond thoughts about this project of yours. It was very special indeed. samm

AnreeAce
05-06-2006, 04:52 PM
:happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

So glad you got the grade you deserved!

This project opened my eyes and my heart, and I have such fond memories of it.

Congratulations!

Mama Bear
05-07-2006, 07:44 AM
Congratulations! What a wonderful project.

As you can guess from our lucybug knit-along this need holds a special place in my heart.

Mama Bear

kimmie
05-10-2006, 03:52 PM
I was just thinking about this whole thing the other day. I was imagining that by now something we have made has been used. It's weird; of course we anticipated these tiny things would be used, but I wish there were no need and that they would go forgotten and dusty in some box in the utility room at the hospital. So sad.

Yvonne - I have thought about that too...even when I was knitting I was thinking about how someone out there was happily pregnant and not knowing that there were all these people out there caring about her and her baby. You're right that it's sad, but I'm so glad that all these wee things you all knit will bring comfort in that sadness.

kimmie
05-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks again everyone for your kind comments. It makes me feel extra especially good that you liked doing the project!

Mama Bear - your lucybug project is wonderful!!

flecker
05-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Kimmie--I knit up some stuff for your project a long time ago and never sent it to you. I didn't read the entire thread, here. I was just wondering if you were still taking items. I have some hats, and a few blankets.

Thank you.

kimmie
05-23-2006, 02:12 PM
flecker - I am still knitting up things, so I would be honored to bring yours over to the hospital with mine. Thank you so much!! Just pm me if you need my address.

kimmie
06-17-2006, 11:55 AM
After having a very quiet thread for awhile, I got TWO unexpected, but very appreciated packages in the mail. First, Trudy (Ellen Edwards) sent me some really fabulous stitch markers that she made and then flecker sent a big package of precious little baby items. I can't wait to take pictures of everything and post them, but it'll have to wait til Wednesday probably because my life is full of commitments that have me going a thousand different directions.

I have missed everyone! I don't have as much time to post messages on the boards as I'd like, but I do read through new postings and whenever I see the names of the people who participated in this KAL I remember everything and how you all touched my life.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Trudy and flecker!!!
:heart: :heart: kimmie

Shandeh
06-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Wow! You guys did such a great job on this. I must be blind, because I never saw this thread before.

I've been knitting for Threads of Love, which does exactly the same thing, so I guess I shouldn't feel bad for not joining in.

Great Work! :thumbsup:

kimmie
06-22-2006, 10:13 PM
I haven't forgotten!! I will get the pictures posted, but not until next week now. Life just got hectic. Things should slow down by Tuesday.

kimmie
06-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Yay! Here are the pictures (finally!!!) of all the many precious little things that flecker made. I will bring them to the hospital in the next couple of weeks and I know that they will mean so much. Thank you flecker!!! I'm sorry it took me so long to post pictures. Each little item is so beautiful. The pictures don't do them justice.

:heart: :heart: :heart: kimmie

kimmie
06-28-2006, 10:48 PM
And...here are the gorgeous stitch markers that Trudy made for me. Not only are they beautiful to look at and they make my works-in-progress so much more appealing, but they are especially special because Trudy made them out of the goodness of her heart. I'm so lucky!!

AnreeAce
06-29-2006, 10:13 AM
:heart:

Beautiful, the baby items and the stitch markers.

I think about this KAL often, it was one of the most touching experiences of my life. Thanks so much to you, Kimmie, for giving us all the opportunity to reach outside of ourselves.

We're at least as lucky as you.

All the best,
A.

Jenelle
06-30-2006, 12:46 AM
All of them are so adorable!! :heart:

kimmie
07-01-2006, 09:29 AM
:heart:

I think about this KAL often, it was one of the most touching experiences of my life.

Wow! That makes me so happy to hear. The whole experience was so wonderful for me and so to know that others felt that too is really, really special. Thanks so much for saying that.

samm
08-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I came across my photos of the little items I made the other day and was thinking of you all. samm

kimmie
08-02-2007, 11:48 AM
It has been so long since I've been here on knittinghelp, so I feel somewhat embarassed to come back asking for your help when I haven't been keeping in touch at all, but hopefully you will understand.

Just now I got a call from the bereavement coordinator at the hospital where all the lovely items you made for the babies went. She told me that they had gone through all of the little burial pouches and they could really use more. They mean a lot to the parents and apparently they are really good for taking pictures. Generally they wrap the baby in the pouch and then an additional little blanket. They still have some of the blankets left.

These are very, very tiny items, so they don't take long to make. Here is a pattern link. http://www.touchinglittlelives.org/knitbunting.html

I think there are other patterns out there as well, but mainly she wants the little hood and ribbon ties for these tiny little ones. Some of the ones we gave them last year were lined and some were not. She didn't say anything about a preference, so you could do what you like. If you can help with this, please do. I can send you my address if you have some to mail.

Please note that I have moved to a new house in the same town, so if you have my old address, it will still get to me eventually, but I'm happy to let you know my new one.

If you can help with this, it will truly be a gift for parents who are grieving. Just knowing that someone out there cared and made something special and handmade for their little one will be ever so meaningful.

Thank you!! If you have any questions, please ask.

Oh dear. I always signed my name with little hearts and I don't see the hearts icon...

Many hearts,
kimmie

willowangel
08-02-2007, 05:34 PM
I would really like to participate in this - I lost my baby at 17 weeks and never got to see him or hold him, although I desperately wanted to. I would like to help other people find the peace I didn't. Can I still participate from Scotland? And I can't use wool, but can use any plant or synthetic fiber.

Thanks for giving us the chance to help out with this,
Fiona

kimmie
08-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Fiona,
I am so sorry about your little baby and I'm sorry that you never got to see or hold him. I know that you will always hold him in your heart. This thread which I started last year is very long, but if you ever read through it, you will see that many of the participants, including myself also lost babies. Others knew someone who did and yet others just knit from their heart because they knew it would make a difference to someone.

As you know, it is so hard to lose a baby. It is good that more and more hospitals are letting parents hold their little ones and even take pictures for them. I think that it is so kind of you to want to help ease another mother's pain in some way. Hugs to you!!

You are certainly more than welcome to participate from Scotland! Last year a wee blanket was sent from Sweden and not only did that touch me, but it completely astounded the bereavement coordinator. What love that is to want to send something for a baby across the ocean.

Although I've never been to Scotland, I am mostly Scottish...my maiden name is Bruce.

Thank you so much for joining in. Something soft like synthetic baby yarn or cotton is perfect. I think wool might seem to scratchy.

Hugs,
kimmie

HollyP
08-02-2007, 06:45 PM
I would love to help. I think I have the perfect yarn too! I have have few other thing otn that I need to finish but after that I will definitely cast on for these. This is a really great project that I would be honored to be a part of!

The heart :heart:icon is still there! The code for it is :heart : without the space.

kimmie
08-02-2007, 07:53 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart: Thank you, Holly!! :heart: now I can make hearts again! yay!

Thank you also, so much, for wanting to knit for these precious little ones. It is truly a labor of love.

Ingrid
08-02-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm in, too. Please pm me your current address.

I have some mercandized cotton that I was just looking at today and realized that I didn't really know what to make with it. It would be ok, right? I'll knit it tight, since I don't have fabric to line it.

kimmie
08-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Hi Ingrid! I think that yarn sounds like it will work very nicely. You are so sweet to help out! You have always been one of my "knitting idols"! Hey, I just figured out a moment ago that there is a "thanks" button. Woohoo! I like that! Thank you!!!

Doodknitwit
08-02-2007, 09:34 PM
I just saw this thread... what an amazing ministry!
I was a patrient rep at one of the local hospitals here. My job was to comfort families of the trauma unit patients, notarize adoption papers & wills etc.. I also had the priviledge of taking the Mom's and Dads their little angel so they could say goodbye.. the nurses and I would take great care to dress or wrap the babe in a pretty blanket...
this was a lasting memory for the parents so it was such an important thing... Thanks to the many knitters that are participating... I'll will check at our hospital for their needs... thanks!! :hug:

kimmie
08-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Doodknitwit, what a special job you had at the hospital! You must be a very caring person. I think that is a great idea to check your local hospital to see what they might need. There are SO many needs out there. I remember reading about how an emergency room asked for mittens and hats for children who came in during the winter for whatever reason...accompanying a family member, etc., but they didn't have warm things, so the emergency room employees would give them these things when they left. Very kind.

Doodknitwit
08-02-2007, 10:08 PM
I did this on the weekends for almost two years so in effect I was working 7 days a week.. The pay was minimal in $$$ but the emotional/soul income was mega!! I loved it it indeed was feeding my soul! :hug: to you!!

momwolf
08-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Count me in:woot: I loved doing this last year:cheering:
Kimmie just need your address,and I still have the pattern for the Burial Bunting.I have some other little gowns already made up so I'll send them too.

Jan in CA
08-03-2007, 01:37 AM
I'm going to see if I have some soft enough yarn. I've forgotten...do they have to be certain colors?

kimmie
08-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Aww, thanks momwolf!! That sounds great! I'll pm you with my address. I'm so glad you are joining in again. It was your idea first to do the buntings and look how appreciated they were!

kimmie
08-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Great question, Jan! I went back and looked through my notes from last year and they do prefer pink, blue, and green because they make the babies look better. If anyone has started on a different color, don't worry! They are happy with any.

Thanks for reminding me about that!

By the way, I have friends from many years ago coming later today and staying the weekend, so I'll be away from the computer as I frantically clean my house and then spend time with them. I just didn't want anyone to think I was ignoring them if I don't get back right away.

Thanks so much!!

HollyP
08-06-2007, 03:16 PM
I started my bunting and just wanted to double check before I got any farther, how wide are they supposed to be? The pattern you posted didn't have a finished size listed. Thanks in advance!!

nicoleheather
08-07-2007, 09:27 PM
I'd love to join too! I saw this thread last time, but found it too late. But then I made about twenty little hats, but I haven't been able to get to the hospital at all to donate them.

A couple questions:
1) How long will you be accepting knitted items? I only have hats that I've made, but I'd like to do some other things, like burial buntings, especially if that's mainly what they're needing.
2) Do you want only burial buntings, or could I send along the hats, too?

I love babies so much, and I'd LOVE to do anything I can for them and their families!

Thanks!

:knitting:Nicole

kimmie
08-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi Holly and Nicole,
I just measured one that I finished and it is about 8 inches long and about 7 inches wide when I open it up. I don't think it matters too much if they are an exact size because the babies will be different sizes too.

Last time I did this I had a deadline because it was for a school project. This time I don't have a deadline, so I was thinking that I'd just keep bringing them over when I had a bunch, but maybe it would be better to have a day to shoot for and then there would be an official "end" until the hospital called with another need. Maybe the end of September? Let me think on that. I'll try to come up with something that will give people enough time, but not get "old"!

Please send the hats that you already made, too. I'm sure that they will use them. When the bereavement coordinator called me she asked for the buntings because they had run out and they still have some of the little hats and blankets, but I'm sure that they will use those up too eventually. Thank you so much for your caring and compassion. I read the paper and get so discouraged sometimes by the awful things that happen, but then I come here and wow, people are so good and kind to people they don't even know and it does my heart good.

:heart: :heart: :heart:
kimmie

Jan in CA
08-08-2007, 04:24 PM
I'll need you to pm me your address, Kimmie. I don't seem to have it anymore.

I made a couple buntings and a little hat. I hate having to sew in a lining..do they have to be lined? I happened to have some soft flannel type material with bunnies on it that I used for these two.

kimmie
08-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Hi Jan!
It is good that you don't have my address anymore, because I moved about a mile away! I'd still get anything mailed to the old address though, so it would be okay :)

Don't worry about the lining. Last year I think that only a couple were lined and the bereavement coordinator didn't say anything one way or the other about linings, so I don't think it matters, really. I bought some soft baby flannel for mine, but I'm not much of a sewer, so we'll see!

You always come up with such good questions!

Jan in CA
08-08-2007, 07:02 PM
You always come up with such good questions!

:aww: Thanks! I think I will make some more now that I know they don't have to be lined. It makes it a lot faster and as I'm using soft yarn it really should be fine.

kimmie
08-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Hi Everyone!
I pondered a "due date" for these little buntings and came up with Sept 8 and then I'll bring them over to the hospital on Sept 10. I also decided that I'll do a little drawing again from the names of everyone who I receive a bunting from by the 8th. I'll go through my stash and find some nice yarn to give away to a couple people. Now, if people want to send any after the 8th, that is absolutely wonderful too and I'll continue to bring things over to the hospital, but at least the 8th gives people something to shoot for!

Thank you all so very much for helping out with this!!

kimmie

kimmie
08-09-2007, 03:54 PM
WOW! The mail lady rang the doorbell today and handed me a big box. I was a little confused because the postmark didn't look familiar and I knew I hadn't ordered anything...and then I remembered....INGRID.

Sure enough, I opened the box and there were *8* little burial buntings inside. :heart: I've been knitting along as fast as I can and I just finished my second one and she finished eight and mailed them to me already. She is really something!! Not only that, she did got creative and knit a little heart onto the back of a couple of them. SO precious!!! Not only is she speedier than I can even dream of being, but she has a heart of gold.

I will take pictures and post them hopefully tomorrow. Thank you, Ingrid, ever, ever so much!!!

Jan in CA
08-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Ingrid! You're so speedy!:hug:

Ingrid
08-09-2007, 08:08 PM
:aww: I doubled the yarn and just knit, knit, knit. They were quick. I found that doing a 3 needle bo on the hood with one of the strands sped things up, too.

Doodknitwit
08-10-2007, 06:33 PM
she suggested adding a little charm on the bunting so the Mom & Dad can have a little keepsake... I just tied one on with a ribbon...

kimmie
08-10-2007, 09:55 PM
What a great idea about the charm Doodleknitwit! That will be really special. How great that your sister is doing this with you :heart:

I know I said I'd post pictures of Ingrid's buntings today, but we spent the day looking at a college for my son. It was so hot outside though that I think the trip was a waste. It's hard to like a school when all you want to do is sit down in air conditioning and not move. I did get a lot of knitting done in the car though and finished another bunting. Yay. If I don't get a chance to post the pics tonight, I will absolutely do so in the morning. It's worth the wait!!

lestrella
08-10-2007, 10:08 PM
I need to try making one of these gowns. I saw doodknitwit's today and they look so precious. Where should I mail them when I'm done?

Doodknitwit
08-10-2007, 10:30 PM
knitting it is quick & easy... lining it was interesting since I haven't sewn in years :hair:......................i

kimmie
08-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Yay, Lestrella!! I'll pm you with my address. Thanks so much for wanting to help with this!

kimmie
08-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Here are pictures of the little buntings that Ingrid so speedily knit up! I tried to get a close up of the back of one so that you could see the little heart :heart: she knit into it. So precious!!! The pictures, of course, don't do them justice.

Doodknitwit
08-11-2007, 10:58 AM
are they lined..? I read somewhere they want them lined aed? Or am I confused :shrug:

FINISHING:
Line with flannel or flannelette.
Fold the top of the hood in half and weave the seam closed.
Cut the ribbon in half (2 18" pieces) and weave the first piece of ribbon into the neck casing.
Lap the right bottom side over the left by 4-5 stitches and secure by weaving the second piece of ribbon through bottom casing.
Snip ribbon ends at angle, tie in bows.
Snuggly gather the bottom casing, loosely gather the neck casing. (We prefer these buntings be lined with a flannel liner.)

kimmie
08-11-2007, 11:26 AM
It is okay either way...lined or unlined.
:) kimmie

Doodknitwit
08-11-2007, 11:30 AM
It is okay either way...lined or unlined.
:) kimmie

I was going by the pattern... :eyes:
guess I needed to read all the posts :tap: especially since I am not a seamtress....
:hair: rather be knittin :X:

Ingrid
08-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks for posting them, Kimmie. I never did take a picture of them.

I didn't line them, so I tried to make sure that they were tightly knit.

dewdrops
08-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Ingrid it's very kind of you.:heart:Those buntings you have knitted are so precious and beautiful.:heart:The heart embellishment is nice too. :heart:

Jan in CA
08-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Awww those are so sweet. :hug:

lestrella
08-14-2007, 11:05 PM
:woohoo:I'm on my 4th bunting already. I'll make a few more and will mail them out at the end of this month. I'm starting a knitting club at my son's school this fall and I would like to show the buntings to the kids to get them excited about knitting for the community. Also, i told a friend about what we are doing and she offered to help so I'm going to give her some yarn this week. She is a new knitter so she doesn't have any. I just taught her how to knit a few months ago.

Ingrid, those are really precious!! I like the idea of the heart. I would like to try something like that.

:hug:

momwolf
08-14-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm having so much fun knitting !!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks again for letting us help out all the babies and their parents.
Ingrid those are adorable!!!!!!!!!Heart was a nice touch

kimmie
08-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks Lestrella and momwolf! It has been a crazy week and this afternoon I was in a car accident with my kids. Thankfully nobody was hurt. My van is probably totaled though. sigh. I felt bad for the 17 year old girl that hit us. She was so upset and didn't want me to call the police, but I really had to under the circumstances. Sooo, it was nice to finally get the chance to sign onto the computer and see the happy, excited thoughts on this thread. Yay!! :heart:

I have finished the knitting part of four little buntings. I got some cute flannel so I'll put that in and find some pretty ribbon and take some pictures :) I like knitting these and it makes it even more special knowing that you all are doing the same thing too :heart: :heart: :heart:

Doodknitwit
08-15-2007, 05:17 PM
:hug::blooby: So grateful you weren't injured & all are safe!!!

lestrella
08-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Thank God you and your family are ok.

Ingrid
08-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Your angels were watching over you!:hug:

kimmie
08-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks everybody for your kind words! I am SO thankful that we are all okay. Things like that really make me remember how precious life is and how often I take health and wholeness for granted.

:heart: :heart: :heart: kimmie (who still hasn't sewn any linings in...)

LauraD
08-21-2007, 12:35 PM
I am signing on a bit late and have not read the entire thread...I promise to though! Is it too late to join?

kimmie
08-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Welcome, Laura! It's never too late to join! Please don't feel like you have to read the whole thread...I really should have started a new one since the vast majority of the posts are from last year when we did this the first time around. It is very touching, at least to me, to read through the posts though, so if you want to, you might enjoy it!

This time around, we are just knitting the burial buntings http://www.touchinglittlelives.org/knitbunting.html
because the hospital had a specific need for them. You can choose to line them or leave them unlined. Either way is fine. I'm having fun at the moment with matching pretty baby flannel to the bunting yarn. :)

On September 8th I'll randomly draw a couple of names from those whose buntings have arrived at my house by that date. I can pm you my address when you are ready to mail them. I'll send a little yarn present to those two people :heart: I wish I could give something to everyone, but I'd go broke! :)

On the 10th I'll bring the things to the hospital. I try to document everything and post pictures because then everyone can see how appreciated their labor of love is.

Ask any questions you like and thank you SO MUCH for joining in!!

Jan in CA
08-23-2007, 01:45 AM
I have 5 done so far. A few are made a little larger since I figured babies come in all sizes and I knew that most of them would be made smaller.

kimmie
08-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Jan, that was very smart to make them in different sizes! Thanks for thinking of that!

figaro
08-24-2007, 12:39 PM
I have made 3 little buntings, 2 like Ingrids and one in the style of Grandma's Favorite Washcloth. I called the local hospital and asked if there was a need and they said they have enough so if I may ask you for your address I will finish them up and send them off to you!

kimmie
08-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Thank you so much, Debbie!
I'll pm you my address.

Doodknitwit
08-25-2007, 05:50 PM
mailing mine Monday!!!

lestrella
08-26-2007, 08:01 AM
mailing mine Monday!!!

Me too!

Jan in CA
08-26-2007, 11:19 AM
I'll be mailing mine next week as soon as I get a little more ribbon.

Mariblue
08-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Hi kimmie, is it all right if I join in too? I discovered this thread a couple weeks ago, and was very touched.
I've knitted up three little buntings over the weekend, so am ready to send them to you the first part of the week, if that is all right. Let me know. :hug:

Jan in CA
08-27-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm sure it's fine Mariblue! It's pretty much an ongoing project. ;)

Mariblue
08-27-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm sure it's fine Mariblue! It's pretty much an ongoing project. ;)

:woohoo:That's what I thought, but I like to be polite. :teehee:

kimmie
08-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Wow, it looks like my mailbox is going to be getting a workout! Yay! I will be on the lookout and post pictures of what comes in.

Mariblue - Hooray for you jumping in and already knitting up 3 so quickly!! As Jan mentioned, I'll be happy to bring these precious little buntings over to the hospital whenever they come in, but I'm glad you are mailing yours so that they arrive by Sept 8, so that you'll be in the drawing.

Thank you everyone for all you are doing. We are closing on our old house this Wednesday so I've been busy hauling the rest of the stuff from the old house to the new. This is tricker than it sounds, since the back of the van is smooshed in. sigh. At any rate, I'm sloooooowly sewing in the linings to the buntings that I knit.

I feel so fortunate to know you are out there doing this with me.

kimmie

Mariblue
08-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi Kimmie, could you pm me your address? Thanks so much!

lestrella
08-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi Kimmie,

I just mailed my package today. You should be getting it within 2-3 days.

kimmie
08-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Thank you, Lestrella!! :heart: :heart: :heart: kimmie

momwolf
08-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Kimmie,
Stuff is on it's way tomorrow morning.The little stuff on safety pins is for the parents to take home.
Thanks again Kimmie for letting me help the little angels:hug::muah:

sara_jayne
08-30-2007, 09:51 PM
I have a quick question about the pattern that Kimmie posted......when it is all finished it says to seam up the hood, which I understand, but then it says "Lap the right bottom side over the left by 4-5 stitches and secure by weaving the second piece of ribbon through the bottom casing". :eyes: What does this mean? Thanks! :heart:

Jan in CA
08-30-2007, 10:52 PM
I have a quick question about the pattern that Kimmie posted......when it is all finished it says to seam up the hood, which I understand, but then it says "Lap the right bottom side over the left by 4-5 stitches and secure by weaving the second piece of ribbon through the bottom casing". :eyes: What does this mean? Thanks! :heart:

I used a 3 needle bind off for the hoods and for the bottom I just lapped one of the holes from side over the other so it closes a little closer at the bottom.

Jan in CA
08-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Mine were mailed today, but I forgot to take pictures.

sara_jayne
08-31-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks, Jan!

kimmie
08-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Momwolf! The little buntings are so cute and that's such a sweet idea to pin on little keepsakes. :heart: thank you!!

Sara Jayne - I'm glad that Jan saw your question and replied. :) She gave a better answer than I would have thought up! I just threaded the ribbon through and pulled a bit and it all seemed to work out!

Jan - don't worry about not taking pictures. I'll take them and post them when they arrive here.:cheering:

I'm still sewing in linings. I knit much faster than I sew! I am just enamored with the flannel, so that is why I persist. :) Plus, we closed on our old house this week, so that was taking some time and concentration away from my already limited brain cells. :)

You are all the best!!! Thank you so much for all that you are doing!! :heart: :heart: :heart: kimmie

lestrella
08-31-2007, 06:48 PM
momwolf, those are gorgeous!!!

kimmie, congratulations on the closing of your old house. Sometimes, that could be very stressful. I know for personal experience, so I don't think I will move again for a long time.

Mariblue
08-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Kimmie, I mailed 3 little buntings to you earlier today. :heart:

kimmie
09-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Lestrella - I agree...I have no desire to move again - ever. It's a lot of work and I wonder when/if I'll ever unpack everything. Maintaining two houses was definitely a challenge.

Mariblue - I will be looking for your package. Thanks so much! :heart:

I'm always amazed when I open them and inside are these labors of love and I am touching the heartfelt goodness that's out there in the world.

Yesterday Doodknitwit's package arrived. I will take pictures of her precious little buntings either today or tomorrow and post them. :heart: So cute!! Thank you Doodknitwit!!

:heart::heart::heart: kimmie

melflem
09-02-2007, 05:39 PM
I am new to this forum, and this project really touched me. My daughter was in the NICU when she was born and we are so thankful that she is still with us. I just can't imagine the loss of those of you (and others) whose lives went the other way. That said, I would love to participate, but can't knit right know as I slammed my finger in the car door this week. Is this an ongoing outreach? I saw that this was year two, so am hopeful that it will!

Melanie

kimmie
09-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi Melanie!
I'm so glad that your daughter is okay! How kind of you to want to reach out to other parents and babies who were not so fortunate. I'm sorry about your finger - ouch!! If people send me little things for the babies I will bring them over to the hospital regardless of when they arrive. I'm more than happy to do that and I know that the hospital appreciates it. I imagine I'll keep doing this as a group project as well whenever the hospital expresses a need like they did this time. So, either way is fine...you can knit and mail at your convenience or wait til we do it again as a group.

Thanks so much!! :heart: :heart: :heart: kimmie

kimmie
09-03-2007, 11:34 PM
I hope everyone had a nice weekend! Here are the pictures of Doodknitwit's lovely little buntings. :heart: I wish you could see the adorable little charms better than my camera shows them. They really are special.

Thank you Doodknitwit!!

kimmie
09-04-2007, 05:24 PM
No sooner did I get the pictures up of the buntings Doodknitwit sent :heart:, than the mail-lady showed up at my door with THREE packages full of little buntings. I am amazed at the generosity of all of you!

Julie, Jan, and Marilee, your packages all arrived safely and everything is just beautiful. I will stay up tonight after I get the kids settled in and I'll take pictures. Wow. :heart:

You are all wonderful.

Hugs,
kimmie :heart::heart::heart:

Mariblue
09-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Wow, they sure arrived fast! :thumbsup:

lestrella
09-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Dootknitwit, those buntings are beautiful!

Kimmie, i'm surprised you haven't received mine. I sent them a week ago. The next day, I sent another package to another charity in the same state and they got it like 3 days ago. I hope they don't get lost :pray:. I sent 10 and and :doh:I forgot to put a tracking number.

kimmie
09-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Lestrella, sometimes mail delivery makes no sense to me. I bet your package will show up soon. I'll let you know right away so that you don't have to worry.

kimmie
09-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Drumroll please...
Just LOOK at all of these precious little buntings (and hats too)! I am just humbled by the goodness in all of you out there, knitting away for these little babies. So special.

Seeing them all on my desk today, my husband said that he has to pretend that they are slippers because it's too sad to think about what they really are. He's right...it is just so sad to think about and I guess that is why there is such a need for these tiny burial pouches. It takes a determined and loving heart to make these, I think.

Anyhow, here are the pictures. As always, my camera doesn't capture the real beauty. I tried to get a closeup of Julie's keepsakes. So many of you have added them on and they are all different and special.

As for my own little buntings...the linings are done. Now I only have the ribbons to weave through, so before long I'll post my pictures too.

Mariblue
09-04-2007, 11:45 PM
What a thoughtful idea to add a little keepsake. I wish I had had more time to include something like that, but I'll keep that in mind for next time! :hug:

nicoleheather
09-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Hi Kimmie!
Could you please pm me your address? I have 18 hats that I already made, plus 4 buntings, and I'm almost done with the 5th. I don't know if I'll be able to make the Saturday deadline, but I think I read where you said you'd take them even if they arrive late?
I'm very glad to be a part of this, it's so nice!
:knitting:nicole

kimmie
09-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi Kimmie!
Could you please pm me your address? I have 18 hats that I already made, plus 4 buntings, and I'm almost done with the 5th. I don't know if I'll be able to make the Saturday deadline, but I think I read where you said you'd take them even if they arrive late?
I'm very glad to be a part of this, it's so nice!
:knitting:nicole
Hi Nicole,
Yes, I'd be more than happy to bring over your little hats and buntings whenever they arrive. Thank you soooo much for knitting them. :heart: :heart: :heart:
I'll pm you my address.

msmelody
09-06-2007, 03:52 AM
I was sent this from a friend. I lost my little boy at 27 weeks. He would be weighed 4 lbs and was 17 inches long.
This is very sad, but with a happy ending (if there is such a thing after losing a child). Try not to cry.

-----------------------------------------------------------
She jumped up as soon as she saw the surgeon came out of the operating room. She said: "How is my little boy? Is he going to be all right? When can
I see him?"

The surgeon said, "I'm sorry. We did all we could, but your boy didn't make it."

Sally said, "Why do little children get cancer? Doesn't God care any more? Where were you, God, when my son needed you?"

The surgeon asked, "Would you like some time alone with your son? One of the nurses will be out in a few minutes, before he's transported to the
university."

Sally asked the nurse to stay with her while she said good-bye to son. She ran her fingers lovingly through his thick red curly hair.

"Would you like a lock of his hair?" the nurse asked.

Sally nodded yes. The nurse cut a lock of the boy's hair, put it in a plastic bag and handed it to Sally. The mother said, "It was Jimmy's idea to donate his body to the University for Study. He said it might help somebody else. "I said no at first, but Jimmy said, 'Mom, I won't be using it after I die. Maybe it will help some other little boy spend one more day with his Mom." She went on, "My Jimmy had a heart of gold. Always thinking of someone else. Always wanting to help others if he could."

Sally walked out of Children's mercy Hospital for the last time, after pending most of the last six months there. She put the bag with Jimmy's belongings on the seat beside her in the car. The drive home was difficult. It was even harder to enter the empty house. She carried Jimmy's belongings, and the plastic bag with the lock of his hair to her son's room. She started placing the model cars and other personal things back in his room exactly where he had always kept them. She laid down across his bed and, hugging his pillow, cried herself to sleep.

It was around midnight when Sally awoke. Laying beside her on the bed was a folded letter. The letter said:

"Dear Mom, I know you're going to miss me; but don't think that I will ever forget you, or stop loving you, just 'cause I'm not around to say I LOVE YOU. I will always love you, Mom, even more with each day. Someday we will see each other again. Until then, if you want to adopt a little boy so you won't be so lonely, that's okay with me. He can have my room and old stuff to play with. But, if you decide to get a girl instead, she probably wouldn't like the same things us boys do. You'll have to buy her dolls and stuff girls like, you know. Don't be sad thinking about me. This really is a neat place. Grandma and Grandpa met me as soon as I got here and showed me around some, but it will take a long time to see everything. The angels are so cool. I love to watch them fly. And, you know what? Jesus doesn't look like any of his pictures. Yet, when I saw Him, I knew it was Him. Jesus himself took me to see GOD! And guess what, Mom? I got to sit on God's knee and talk to Him, like I was somebody important. That's when I told Him that I wanted to write you a letter, to tell you good-bye and everything. But I already knew that wasn't allowed. Well, you know what Mom? God handed me some paper and His own personal pen to write you this letter. I think Gabriel is the name of the angel who is going to drop this letter off to you. God said for me to give you the answer to one of the questions you asked Him 'Where was He when I needed him?' "God said He was in the same place with me, as when His son Jesus was on the cross. He was right there, as He always is with all His children.

Oh, by the way, Mom, no one else can see what I've written except you. To everyone else this is just a blank piece of paper. Isn't that cool? I have to give God His pen back now. He needs it to write some more names in the Book of Life. Tonight I get to sit at the table with Jesus for supper. I'm, sure the food will be great.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you. I don't hurt anymore. The cancer is all gone. I'm glad because I couldn't stand that pain anymore and God couldn't stand to see me hurt so much, either. That's when He sent The Angel of Mercy to come get me. The Angel said I was a Special Delivery! How about that?

Signed with Love from God, Jesus & Me.

---------------------------
Let the Holy Spirit work in your life for doing what you know God loves "When you're down to nothing, God is up to something.":hug:
----------------------------------------------------------

kimmie
09-06-2007, 05:05 PM
msmelody, I'm so sorry about your little boy. Thank you for sharing the story that your friend gave you. It's good that you have a friend like that. My sister sent me an article that helped me a lot. It said a lot of things, but the main message was that God didn't create us to live for 2 minutes or 2 years or 70 years, but to live forever in heaven. For some reason, that helped me feel better...remembering that there is a purpose beyond the here and now. I know not everyone believes the same thing and that's fine... it's just what helped me. Anyway, I send gentle hugs to you! :heart:

Lestrella's package arrived today. Yay! I'll try to get pictures up by sometime tomorrow. They are really precious.

kimmie
09-08-2007, 01:17 AM
Hello Everyone!
Here are the pictures of Lestrella's truly beautiful buntings and hat. She did some really clever things that are so creative...little hearts worked into the pattern on one...fluffy yarn trim on a couple....very special!! Thank you so very much Lestrella!!

kimmie
09-08-2007, 01:28 AM
I still have to put the ribbons in my buntings...I'll post the pictures hopefully tomorrow. I continue to be awed by how many you all did and how quickly. My life has been so incredibly busy and I am just SO thankful for all of you that you made all these little buntings that I never, ever would have been able to make for the hospital by myself.

If I counted correctly, I got 6 packages in the mail from
Mariblue :heart:
Ingrid :heart:
Doodknitwit :heart:
Lestrella :heart:
Julie :heart: and
Jan :heart:

Since there weren't that many of you and because I appreciate all you did from the bottom of my heart, rather than drawing two names, I'll be sending each of you a little something in the mail next week. I probably won't get them in the mail til Thursday, but they will come.

I'll take pictures when I drop everything off at the hospital too.

Thank you all so much! You are angels on Earth.

kimmie
09-08-2007, 11:51 PM
I finally got the ribbons in and took pictures. Now all I need to do is bring them over to the hospital and get all your little gifts in the mail.

Hugs to all!
:heart:kimmie

Jan in CA
09-09-2007, 01:55 AM
OH my gosh! ALL of these little buntings are just adorable! And if I counted right there's FIFTY THREE buntings!! I'm sure the hospital will be thrilled with them!

Kimmie, we didn't do this for the gifts, but that's very nice of you. :hug::hug::hug:

BTW, Kimmie...I gave Sara Jayne your address so you'll probably be receiving some more soon.

Mariblue
09-09-2007, 02:29 AM
Kimmie, your buntings are precious. :heart: I'm so glad to have helped out with this, it makes me happy to help. Let me know if you need more knitted items for more special little babies.

momwolf
09-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Kimmie,your bunting are soooooooooo cute.It was a pleasure helping:muah:just give a haller anytime you need something:inlove:

Annasta111
09-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Thankfully I have had 2 healthy children and never had to experience the loss of a child, but reading through these posts I sit in tears at the pain many of you have experienced. I am an extreme newbie to knitting, but would like to join in as well, even if I do not send out many, I would like to help if I can. My daughter is also learning to knit and she would like to help as well, amazing what a 14 yr old girl will stand up for! I just hope that these can bring even a tiny amount of help to someone during the worst time of their lives!

What fibers are the best to knit these in? Wool? I will use any, no matter the expense! It's worth every penny!

kimmie
09-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks Everyone for your sweet words and kindness. :heart:

Jan - I'm so impressed that you counted! I was going to do that before I brought them all over to the hospital, but you did it from the pictures - :thumbsup:

Stacey - thank you and your daughter for wanting to knit these little buntings. They are actually a pretty good beginner project. You are sweet to be willing to buy expensive yarn, but really these are probably best made with washable, soft baby yarn, which tends to be acrylic and inexpensive. Thank you!!

Annasta111
09-09-2007, 09:45 AM
No problem... Will start today! Even my 12 year old son now wants to help out and learn to knit!!! I'll see what I can do to get something going with this, maybe add in some blankets and hats as well, anyone have a pattern for the tiny little hats? Can we also expand the project to help other babies in need? Crack babies and premies that DO make it through? I know when my son was in the hospital as a baby we had a few babies born addicted to crack and it was heart breaking to see them detoxing from the drugs. The mom never even showed up, I would sit with them and rock them every time my son was down for a nap! Helped the nurses out and I hope helped the babies out too, maybe adding some soft blankets or hats for them would help too.... :shrug:

Doodknitwit
09-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I have 2 healthy children!! :pray: Thank you God! I am so happy Kimmie gave me the opportunity to give. :heart:

Annasta111
09-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I have 2 healthy children!! :pray: Thank you God! I am so happy Kimmie gave me the opportunity to give. :heart:

Amen!!!

Doodknitwit...Is that a mastiff in your signature????

I just made a practice one of the bunting.... and sat here in total tears!!! They are so amazingly TINY! Just completely breaks my heart that they have to be used at all. Kimmie... I wish I had the words to tell you how much I appreciate you doing this for the little ones and their families! You have such an amazing heart and such an amazing warmth and kindness.... Words can never express how this has touched my heart and has brought my family closer together! :muah: you my dear, are the true blessing in this all!!! Thank you!

Doodknitwit
09-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Amen!!!

Doodknitwit...Is that a mastiff in your signature????

I just made a practice one of the bunting.... and sat here in total tears!!! They are so amazingly TINY! Just completely breaks my heart that they have to be used at all. Kimmie... I wish I had the words to tell you how much I appreciate you doing this for the little ones and their families! You have such an amazing heart and such an amazing warmth and kindness.... Words can never express how this has touched my heart and has brought my family closer together! :muah: you my dear, are the true blessing in this all!!! Thank you!

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :poke:

Jan in CA
09-09-2007, 06:57 PM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :poke:

I don't get what is funny.. ? :??

Annasta111
09-09-2007, 08:02 PM

She changed the title of the post, the dogs I asked about are 2 150 lb babies :) Mine is 200lbs, so to me it would be funny.... sorry post hijack......

Kimmie, how could we turn this into something bigger where we could possibly help more people? Or can we? I found the site for Touching Little Lives, man I cried! I believe it is an awesome cause and one I would like to try and see if we could do something more.... does that make anysense? Can it be possible to do something more???

Doodknitwit
09-09-2007, 08:10 PM

I was laughing at the dogs... who let me live with them.. :oops:

kimmie
09-09-2007, 10:53 PM
You guys are just too sweet. I am the one who is so blessed to have you all jump in and do this with me.

Annasta, I think that there are groups out there that do exactly what you are talking about. I think there was one based out of Iowa that I read about, but I can't remember the specifics. I have my hands so incredibly full right now that I know I would never be able do a good job at making this a bigger thing at this point in my life, but if you are interested in doing that and have the time, you should definitely look into it.

Lisa1216
09-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Kimmie!!!:heart::heart: I just saw this thread again (I knitted some things the first time). I have been MIA from the forums for a while, mainly just lurking on a few pages. How wonderful for you to do this again. The buntings are awesome. I'm glad the hospital was able to use the items from last time, but sad too that there was a need for them. I'm going to subscribe to this thread so I won't miss out if you do this again. I'll print the pattern out and see if I can get a few done for you before your deadline. (end of Sept., right??)

kimmie
09-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi Lisa!
It's great to "see" you again! Actually, the official deadline has passed, but if more come in, I'll take them over to the hospital. I'm sure they'll appreciate them and continue needing them. I didn't realize it was possible to subscribe to a thread! I'll have to figure that out.
Thanks so much for your offer to help!

Lisa1216
09-10-2007, 11:07 AM
:pout: Darn, I missed the deadline. I'll still see what I can do for you though. Next time, hopefully, I won't miss out.

If you go to the top of the page, there is a "thread tools" button. Just click on that and the drop down has a subscribe to this thread option. Click on that and when someone posts to the thread, you get an e-mail that there has been a post.

Jan in CA
09-10-2007, 12:45 PM
I was laughing at the dogs... who let me live with them.. :oops:

Ahhhhh I see! I rarely look at the subject line that you changed in the middle of the post. That was my downfall. Two 150 lb babies indeed.. :teehee:

kimmie
09-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Here they are...all the precious little things that you knit. I brought them over this morning to the bereavement coordinator at the hospital. She was so touched by all of the beautiful work that you did. She emailed me a thank you to all of you as a file so that I could attach it for you. You can click on the link below the picture to see it.

Thank you all again, ever so much!

Jan in CA
09-10-2007, 05:22 PM
That was so sweet of her! It's nice to know that they are needed and appreciated. :hug:

Mariblue
09-10-2007, 05:40 PM
It's neat to see all the buntings together like that. Thanks for sharing the picture, Kimmie! :heart:

momwolf
09-10-2007, 08:35 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_8.gif That was so nice of her and you too Kimmiehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_21.gif

msmelody
09-11-2007, 04:37 AM
I know the size for the burial bunting directions have it around 8 inches long, but would they mind larger ones for the bigger babies? I made my first one last night, and it just seems so small.

Jan in CA
09-11-2007, 03:13 PM
I know the size for the burial bunting directions have it around 8 inches long, but would they mind larger ones for the bigger babies? I made my first one last night, and it just seems so small.

Sadly they do need lots of tiny ones. I made some bigger though so go right ahead as they need those, too.

kimmie
09-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks for jumping in, Jan. I was gone all day and didn't see the message til just now. As Jan said, any size is fine. Thanks so much for knitting!

I'm planning on getting the six packages in the mail tomorrow. :heart:

kimmie
09-13-2007, 07:13 PM
My mailbox was stuffed again when I came home today...:heart:
There was a big package from Nicole with bunches and bunches of little hats and buntings. I will take pictures soon so that you can all see the hard work and love that went into these. Thank you so much Nicole!!

:heart::heart::heart:
kimmie

kimmie
09-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Okay, I clearly have to get my photography act together because yet another box of wonderful baby items came in the mail from Sara_Jayne. My goodness. The generosity of you all just floors me. I will do my best to take and post pictures tomorrow.

Thank you SO MUCH Sara!!

momwolf
09-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Kimmie,Thank soooooooooo much for the gift of yarn.Was not necessary but really appreciate it. Just let me know when the hospital needs more.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_6.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_109.gif

Jan in CA
09-15-2007, 06:59 PM
I got the yarn! Thank you for being so kind. I'm glad I could help and do let us know if we can help again sometime.

:hug::hug::hug:

kimmie
09-15-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm glad the packages are making their way across the country. I know I said I'd try to get pics up today of the new things that came, but as usual, life sent me another crazy event. If it's not one thing, it's another. Did I mention before that the girl who hit me didn't have insurance, nor did the owner of the car. That doesn't seem to be resolving at all. What a drag. I so don't have time to go to small claims court either, and I'm not the type to sue anyone. I don't know if these people even have the money if I did successfully sue them. Anyway, that has nothing to do with anything other than how nutty life can be.

Today was another story. In the kids' bathroom at the new house I discovered that the wax seal under the toilet has been leaking (probably for years...) and the subfloor has rotted out. Oh joy. So, now in all my spare time (as if...) I get to find a contractor, pick out new flooring, etc. It's just laughable, really, how these weird things come up and there's nothing I can do but try to deal with them and carve out the time to do so. Whew. I can be sooooo long winded.

So, the pictures will come, eventually. I work tomorrow, but Monday at the latest... Thanks for your patience!!

Rosemary
09-16-2007, 09:09 AM
I just wanted to say thank you. After reading this thread I found a local group that does charity knitting, crocheting and crafts for the local hospitals and Fort Sam Houston. I joined this group (BlueBonnet Babies) and my needles have been flying!

Doodknitwit
09-16-2007, 09:43 AM
of the needs.. an awesome gift to us the ability to give:hug:

Mariblue
09-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Kimmie, I got the yarn today, thank you so much! :heart: It's beautiful.
I'm sorry about the trouble with your house and getting the accident sorted out. I hope it all works itself out soon! :hug:

lestrella
09-18-2007, 09:04 PM
OMG! Kimmie, I got your package today. Totally unexpected but greatly appreciated. The yarn is beautiful! I can't wait to make some socks with it! Thank you so much. :muah:

kimmie
09-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Well, "Monday at the latest" turned into Wednesday night...almost Thursday morning. I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to post pictures of all the wonderful things that have been sent in. Just today I got a lovely package in the mail from Figaro too. I am just so incredibly touched by all that has been sent my way and I apologize profusely that I haven't posted this sooner.

As always, my delay involves a long explanation of the bizarre things that happen in my life, which frankly must seem completely unrealistic by now. Let's just say that the last several days have been consumed with flea medicine and a multiple visits to the vet, including an emergency 24 hour vet in the middle of the night. All is fine now. My life is good...it just gets rather hectic as I know everyone's does.

Okay, enough of that!

My heartfelt thanks go out to Nicole and Sara_Jayne and Figaro for these truly lovely baby hats and buntings and blankets. Each time I open a package I always am taken aback at the generosity of "strangers" and the palpable love that goes into each and every one of these bitty gifts.

Love and hugs,
kimmie:heart::heart::heart:

kimmie
09-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Rosemary,
I'm so happy to hear that you found a place near you to knit for. That is wonderful! Thanks for telling me :heart:

Doodknitwit
09-20-2007, 12:09 PM
I got the beautiful yarns today!!! The knitting of these precious items does not require you to gift me... thanks for the sweet note and yarns.. :hug:

Pandora
09-28-2007, 04:35 AM
I just read over the last few pages of this thread, and I was deeply touched. All of you who participated are wonderfully generous souls.

I know a woman who lost her second child when he was only eight months old. He died of SIDS, which is always a terrible and unexpected thing. The funeral was the saddest I've ever seen, because I have never seen so many adults break down and cry at the same time. Those who have lost a child need all the comfort and love we can possibly give.

If you start up this project again, I'm in!

kimmie
09-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Well, it's me again. Yesterday I got an email from the Bereavement Coordinator at Condell Hospital asking for 12 baby blankets for babies who are full-term, but stillborn, or die shortly after.
I haven't replied yet, because I haven't been knitting nearly as much lately and I know that knitting a full-size baby blanket takes time. I know I can't get her twelve by myself in short order. Secondly, I haven't been here on KH in almost a year...once again, because I haven't been knitting as much. So, for all I know, there's nobody out there who remembers me or this project. It's a bit embarassing to ask for help.
I thought I'd better ask though, if there's anyone out there who would care to join me in this one more time. Here's the other thing... in the past I have done a drawing and donated yarn from my stash to those who participated. I cannot do that this time, so I have nothing to offer you, other than my deep gratitude and I'll take pictures and post them of the items and delivering them to the hospital.
Because there is no drawing, there is also no time limit either - I will deliver them when I get them.
With my heartfelt thanks,

gargoylelib
09-07-2008, 01:44 AM
What exact size of blanket do you want? Does it matter what type
of yarn is used? I'm sure I can send you one :)

Libbie

ritaw
09-07-2008, 06:03 AM
Hi ,

I am in the UK . But would like to help . Let us know the size needed for the blanket and what yarn to use .:hug:

Is there a time limit ? If there is then i may not be able to but i would love to help .

kimmie
09-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Libbie and Rita,
Thank you so much for your willingness to help out!:heart: :heart: :heart:
Soft, washable yarns are best for this either acrylic or something like Cotton Ease. The bereavement coordinator had originally suggested pink, blue or green as colors. Yellow doesn't work so well with these little ones in the keepsake pictures.
As for size, I think about 2 ft square would be about right for a full term baby, give or take a bit.
Rita, there really isn't a time limit. I know that a full size baby blanket takes longer than the tiny little hats, blankets, and burial buntings we were making the past couple of years, so I will just bring them over to the hospital as I get them. It always touches my heart when people knit for this and then it does so doubly when people from around the world care so much about babies and parents in another country.
As a parent who had a baby die, I can tell you that the little baby sweater they gave us in the hospital is something that I will always cherish. I cherish it not only because it's one of the few tangible things I have of his, but also because I know that some anonymous person out there cared enough to take the time to make it. So, I know that these blankets we make will mean so much to mothers and fathers we will never know.
Many, many thanks,

ritaw
09-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Libbie and Rita,
Thank you so much for your willingness to help out!:heart: :heart: :heart:
Soft, washable yarns are best for this either acrylic or something like Cotton Ease. The bereavement coordinator had originally suggested pink, blue or green as colors. Yellow doesn't work so well with these little ones in the keepsake pictures.
As for size, I think about 2 ft square would be about right for a full term baby, give or take a bit.
Rita, there really isn't a time limit. I know that a full size baby blanket takes longer than the tiny little hats, blankets, and burial buntings we were making the past couple of years, so I will just bring them over to the hospital as I get them. It always touches my heart when people knit for this and then it does so doubly when people from around the world care so much about babies and parents in another country.
As a parent who had a baby die, I can tell you that the little baby sweater they gave us in the hospital is something that I will always cherish. I cherish it not only because it's one of the few tangible things I have of his, but also because I know that some anonymous person out there cared enough to take the time to make it. So, I know that these blankets we make will mean so much to mothers and fathers we will never know.
Many, many thanks,

Hi Kimmie ,

I will start one during the week . when you have time pm me your address.:hug:
Is crochet ok too?

gargoylelib
09-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi Kimmie,

I've got some blue acrylic that has been sitting in my
stash for ages waiting for a project so this sounds ideal! I'll get
started sometime in the coming week most likely.

Libbie :)

figaro
09-07-2008, 09:51 PM
So, a 2 ft square baby blanket? I would be glad to help out again! I think I will try a baby blanket size of Grandma's Favorite washcloth...:X:

Doodknitwit
09-07-2008, 10:09 PM
I will ask other knitter s too

kimmie
09-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Oh Debbie and Doodknitwit, THANK YOU!! Truly. Huge thanks!

momwolf
09-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Kimmie:hug:Now you know you can count me in :roflhard: I just can't turn YOU down

Nobones
09-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I'll make one, if you could pm me with the address to send it.

kimmie
09-08-2008, 04:07 PM
momwolf! What a nice surprise!! How is your son? Thanks so much for doing this. :heart: :heart: :heart: How are you??
Nobones, I will be more than happy to pm you my address. Thank you so very much for doing this. I see that you are yet another knitter from across the pond. I always think that is just so amazingly wonderful. It makes the world feel like a smaller, nicer place. :heart: :heart: :heart:

momwolf
09-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Kimmie-I am fine,but dear son Jeff is back to Iraq again in December:waah:. So looks like you'll be praying again:teehee:

kimmie
09-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Oh my goodness, momwolf. It seems like he just got back. I absolutely will be saying prayers for him. :heart:

I am leaving tomorrow (Tues) afternoon and coming back late Wednesday night in order to take my son to his freshman year of college. As a result, I won't be able to check in here and respond as quickly as I'd like for a couple days, but I'll be back in the swing of it Thursday morning.
Thanks everyone!!!:heart: :heart: :heart: kimmie

momwolf
09-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks Kimmie:hug::muah:

ritaw
09-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Have a safe journey Kimme :)

figaro
09-10-2008, 12:34 PM
kimmie, I was telling my mom about knitting you up some baby blankets and she asked me to knit some up for the Indian health clinic on the reservation where she works. I obviously told her no problem and asked how many babies do they average a month, 1 or 2 so that is perfect for me. I really like the fact that they will be going to babies who really need it on the resevation and my mom will be able to hand them to the moms themselves. For some reason, it never occured to me to knit for babies at clinics, only the hospitals. Makes sense though.

Just thought I would let you know that this project of yours has reached more people...

kimmie
09-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Debbie, that really sounds like a wonderful thing to do. There are so many people out there in the world who can use some knitted up love!
Over the past two days I knit for about 13 hours in the car. I realized after about half that time that I had chosen the wrong pattern...because it's taking me forever. I'm only about a third of the way through it. I'll keep plugging along though! I'm eager to finish this one so that I can start a different pattern that moves faster!

figaro
09-11-2008, 11:50 AM
What pattern are you using right now Kimmie? I am knitting up a diagonal knit blanket that is moving along faster then I expected.

annek2000
09-11-2008, 12:30 PM
:X: PM with the address and I'll get busy on one as soon as I finish the afghan for our church's bazaar.

Thanks for doing this for all of us

ritaw
09-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi Kimmie ,
Can you also pm me your address. Thanks:)

momwolf
09-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Kimmie,
Here's what I had done so far on Teddy bear blanket.Just need to do 2 more repeats of the 3 bears.If you click on picture you can see the bears better.
Guess I need your address again,please

ritaw
09-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Your blanket looks lovely Julie . I love the teddies:)

kimmie
09-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Wow!! I cannot get over how fast you are all knitting and how cute the pic of your blanket is momwolf! I am knitting this (http://thriftyknitter.com/?p=293) pattern, but in a soft baby blue yarn. It really wasn't the best choice, in hindsight. I do have another baby blanket in a peachy yarn that I started awhile ago and just need to finish, so maybe I'll switch to finishing that for awhile, because the other is sooooo slow. Plus, it's straight stockinette for most of it and I'm easily bored!
I will pm my address to all who asked. :)

kimmie
09-11-2008, 07:50 PM
:X: PM with the address and I'll get busy on one as soon as I finish the afghan for our church's bazaar.

Thanks for doing this for all of us
Thank YOU, Anne!! :heart:

jess_hawk
09-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Hmmm... I don't think I currently have the yarn or patience for a full-size baby blanket, but reading this thread I now realize that I can probably get some premie caps or blankets from my "miniball stash" which is the remnants of skeins after their projects are complete. I have mostly natural fibers that would felt if washed, but wondering if this would be a problem in the case of babies that didn't make it? If its used for burial it would never be washed, if kept as a keepsake it wouldn't be used again and could be cared for as any other feltable item. Thoughts?

If my alpaca/merino/angora ministash will be OK I'll see if my local hospital has a need and if they don't I'll see if anyone else knows of an outlet.

Years ago a very close friend of my family had a daughter who was developing wrong - I won't go into detail but there was no way she would survive. When she was born they let her mom hold her, then gave her to her sister. Her name was Kelly (big sister was a Barbie-doll lover :) ). The parents had been trying for a long time to have another child and to lose Kelly was so tragic even if they hadn't been waiting for so long. I'm happy to say that years after, they finally succeeded and their younger daughter is now a very healthy energetic 9-year-old.

momwolf
09-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks Kimmie:teehee: Looked at your pattern and it does look boring.:eyes:
Can't wait to see what kind of blankets you get:cheering:

kimmie
09-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Jess, I'm sorry about your friend's baby and I'm also happy that she was able to have a healthy subsequent baby. You are a good friend to think about them and want to knit for other babies with Kelly in mind. I bet if your local hospital has some sort of bereavement coordinator they might be very happy to hear from you and they would probably be able to answer your question about whether the items need to be washable or not. The policies might vary from hospital to hospital. Either way, I'd suggest really soft yarn, because the little ones are so delicate. If you don't find a hospital nearby, I would be more than happy to bring little items to the hospital here as well. Even though this time she requested the full-size blankets, I know that in time she'll ask for the bitty ones again.

kimmie
09-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks Kimmie:teehee: Looked at your pattern and it does look boring.:eyes:
Can't wait to see what kind of blankets you get:cheering:
Yes, momwolf, it's a boring pattern. I think I was just smitten by the cute baby in the picture...

Doodknitwit
09-15-2008, 10:44 PM
almost finished one :blooby: :yay: :waving: :X:

kimmie
09-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Oh My Goodness, Doodknitwit!! That is fantastic! I need to knit faster! Actually, the one that was almost done from awhile ago, is even almost more done, but the one with endless stockinette continues. I'm considering (gasp) crocheting large edges or something in hopes that it goes faster. We shall see!

momwolf
09-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Mine is almost done too.Just a few more rows and it will be in the mail to you Kimmie.:cheering:

ritaw
09-16-2008, 01:52 AM
Wow you guys are wizzing through your blankets . I am still clicking the needles.
Great job guys :yay:

figaro
09-16-2008, 09:51 AM
May I ask what patterns you all are using to get to be about 2 ft by 2 ft? The only pattern I can find to use with my dk sport yarn is the diagonal blanket and it is too boring.

kimmie
09-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi Debbie!
The 2x2 measurement was really just an estimate - you can make whatever baby blanket that inspires you - just normal baby size. You are right that the diagonal blanket and/or straight stockinette (like I chose for some crazy reason) is boring. My other one that I started a while ago and am just finishing up is a diagonal and bigger than 2x2, but it went much faster because it has little holes through it and I used bigger needles. I think after this I'll do a scallopy baby blanket. I used to knit those years ago and as I recall they go fairly quickly.
kimmie

momwolf
09-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Kimmie ,here is the Teddy Bear blanket. Just click on pic and it will get bigger so you can see better. I had to stop knitting so we could do some remodeling in the kitchen :roll: I will mail it out tomorrow:teehee:

ritaw
09-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Kimmie ,here is the Teddy Bear blanket. Just click on pic and it will get bigger so you can see better. I had to stop knitting so we could do some remodeling in the kitchen :roll: I will mail it out tomorrow:teehee:
Julie your teddy bear blanket is lovely :) Nice work my friend !

momwolf
09-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks Rita!!!Can't wait to see what yours looks like!!

ritaw
09-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks Rita!!!Can't wait to see what yours looks like!!
Well my little knitting buddy , you need not wait any longer lol .:)
Kimmie here is my finished blanket . I will post it on early next week .:hug:

kimmie
09-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Julie and Rita!! The blankets that you made are so lovely and precious! Beautiful! Thank you so very, very much for knitting those with such love. They are going to mean so much. :heart: :heart:
What a wonderful surprise to wake up this morning and see what you have done. You are wonderful!
I am still plugging along on my endless stockinette. I need to take pics and post them. It just looks like a blob and it's very uninspiring, but the other one is cute :) With any luck, I can figure out a border that will make the blob less blobby.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

ritaw
09-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Julie and Rita!! The blankets that you made are so lovely and precious! Beautiful! Thank you so very, very much for knitting those with such love. They are going to mean so much. :heart: :heart:
What a wonderful surprise to wake up this morning and see what you have done. You are wonderful!
I am still plugging along on my endless stockinette. I need to take pics and post them. It just looks like a blob and it's very uninspiring, but the other one is cute :) With any luck, I can figure out a border that will make the blob less blobby.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Glad to have been able to help Kimmie . I am sure your blankets will look great :hug: :thumbsup:

momwolf
09-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Kimmie, your are welcome:hug:
Rita, Cute blanket,like the flower!!

kimmie
09-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Julie,
I just got your sweet, soft baby blanket in the mail and I have to say, I am floored by how absolutely precious it is. I mean, I saw from the picture that it was cute, but it's just sooooo soft and delicate and precious. I just had to hold it up to my cheek because it is that special!! Some mother is going to be so touched by your kindness.
Thank you!!!
:heart: :heart: :heart: kimmie (who will take pictures soon...I am finished now with the stockinette blanket and only have some border seams to finish on the other.)

momwolf
09-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks Kimmie :muah:Glad you liked it.

kimmie
09-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Dear me. I am having technology issues right and left. First, I was having camera issues so I decided to take pics with my cell phone. Okay, so the pics weren't that great, but it was better than nothing. Unfortunately, when I tried to upload them, the file sizes were too large. On my old (now crashed) computer, I had a link to a program where I could resize pics, but now my current (almost crashing) computer, I don't have that link. Sigh. Could someone lend me a clue?? I feel so silly.
Thanks!!
kimmie:heart: :heart: :heart:

momwolf
09-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Here's one Kimmie
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/
I started another blanket for you:teehee:

kimmie
09-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Oh Julie, you are just the BEST! Thanks for the link - I'm going to go figure this out right now. Another Blanket? Huge, huge hugs and thanks to you!!
XOXOXOXO :heart: kimmie

kimmie
09-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Whew. I think the pictures will upload now, thanks to momwolf.
Here are the two blankets I am mostly done with. I decided not to add the little hood part to the blue blanket. I need to finish sewing 4 little seams on the edges of the pink blanket and sew all ends in.

ritaw
09-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Very pretty blankets Kimmie :)

momwolf
09-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Kimmie, how cute are those:cheering:
Love the pink one with the ruffles!
And you are welcome!!!

kimmie
09-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks! I'm happier with the pink one. The blue one I sort of made up as I went along and it turned out fine, but the other one is definitely more special. Now I need to hunt for an interesting pattern that doesn't take forever and then I'll make a trip to buy some more yarn. Oh the possibilities!

ritaw
10-03-2008, 02:59 AM
Hi Kimmie :)

Just to let you know that i will posting mine this morning on the way to take Luke to school.
It normally takes between 6 and 10 days to get there. The latest 14 .
Have a good knitting day :)

EDITED- it is in the post and on its way :)

figaro
10-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Just wanted to let Kimmie know I am still knitting away on mine, I have not forgotten!:X:

kimmie
10-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Well, it is a crisp, day here - perfect for knitting. The mail brought a lovely little blanket from Doodknitwit. Thank you!! It is so sweet. I will get a picture taken and posted this weekend. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. :heart:
Rita, I will look forward to your package arriving. You are so kind. :heart: It's extra special coming from so far away!
Figaro, bless your heart for keeping me posted! :heart: I know how busy life is and that a full size baby blanket is not the fastest thing to knit. I am SO thankful to you and everyone here!
Hugs to everyone!
kimmie :heart: :heart: :heart:

kimmie
10-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Happy Monday!
I managed to take pictures with a real camera this time, instead of my cell phone! Here is the sweet little green baby blanket made by Doodknitwit. :heart: :heart: :heart: So cute!
Also, I'm attaching a pic of the new blanket I started. I like this pattern much better than the last one I did.

momwolf
10-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Doodknitwit.- Really cute blanket :cheering::cheering::cheering:

Kimmie- the new blanket looks more fun and is darling so far:cheering:

I started on blanket 3, will send #2 in a few days:teehee:

ritaw
10-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Nice blanket Debbie:)
Your blanket looks lovely Kimmie . What pattern are using on this one ?

kimmie
10-06-2008, 06:10 PM
momwolf!!! You are starting #3!!! When you send it, can you send me some of your energy? Seriously! I wish I could knit as fast as you. :heart: thank you!!!
Rita, this one is a fan and feather pattern, which is pretty easy, but is far more interesting to do and to look at than the straight stockinette was. yay!

ritaw
10-07-2008, 02:05 AM
I have made two feather and fan blankets and i really enjoyed the pattern. :hug:
the colour you have chosen is really nice for your yours:)

kimmie
10-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Rita!! Guess what showed up in my mailbox today??? Yes, your beautiful blanket! It's so pretty and delicate - I knew it was lovely from the picture you posted, but it was even moreso in person. I love the embroidered flowers and the sweetness of the whole thing. You did such a nice job with your crocheted edge. I wish I'd done a scallopy edge like that on my blue one.
So, here I hold a precious blanket, made with love and to top it off, it traveled from soooooo far away. Sometimes it seems like the world is falling apart and then things like this remind me of all the caring people out there, all over the world...all the good people, and I know that everything is going to be okay.
So, thanks to every one of you.

ritaw
10-09-2008, 01:29 AM
I am so glad that the blanket arrived safely Kimmie:) It came quite quickly . I only posted it on Friday.
That is the quickest anything i have sent to the US , has got there.
love and hugs xxxx

momwolf
10-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Kimmie, I am sending blanket # 2 out today:cheering: Not very happy with the way the hearts show up. Should of used a colored yarn instead. Sorry I didn't send it out sooner but have been so busy with remodeling kitchen,we are doing it ourselves:eyes:. It's done now so can I work on blanket 3 today. Just gonna sit and knit.

ritaw
10-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Lovely blanket Julie . I know a plain colour would have shown the hearts better but it it is a very pretty blanket nonetheless.:)

kimmie
10-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Julie, it is lovely! I can definitely see the hearts in the picture and I'm sure in real life they can be seen. I love that pattern - it's like there's extra love knit into it. I still cannot get over how fast you knit. I'm probably 1/3 of the way done with the feather and fan. I have rented a lot of movies lately so that I'll sit and knit.
I think after yours arrives in the mail, I will bring the ones I have from you, Rita, Debbie and me over to the hospital so that they have some for now.
You are all fabulous!!

momwolf
10-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Ok who told Columbus he could close the post offices today ?:tap: Will have to ship it out tomorrow:roll: Sorry Kimmie

Thanks Rita!!

kimmie
10-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Momwolf, you made a pun...Columbus...ship it out...get it??
:) :heart: kimmie

sgtpam
10-13-2008, 06:39 PM
:rofl: good one. But, hey...don't be mad at my buddy Columbus...he gave me the day off :woot:

ritaw
10-14-2008, 02:26 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

momwolf
10-15-2008, 06:17 AM
Kimmie,
Your blanket is on it's way,and not by ship :roflhard::roflhard:.
I made a funny and didn't even know it.:happydance:

ritaw
10-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Kimmie,
Your blanket is on it's way,and not by ship :roflhard::roflhard:.
I made a funny and didn't even know it.:happydance:

:roflhard: I love it .
:thumbsup:

kimmie
10-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Momwolf, your precious blanket arrived today and I can see the cute little hearts just fine! Thank you so very much for all the work that went into that. :heart: :heart: :heart:
I am heading up to visit my son for the weekend, so I won't be around for a few days, but I'll check back in when I'm back and then I'll deliver blankets to the hospital early in the week. :heart:
Thanks everyone!

momwolf
10-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for letting me know it arrived and didn't end up on a http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_27.gifship:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::rof lhard:

And you are sooooo welcome Kimmie. Have fun at your son's

kimmie
10-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi!
I'm just checking in to let you know I haven't dropped off the planet. We had a wonderful time visiting my son and have been incredibly busy since we got back into town. I'm anticipating things will calm down by Thursday, so that's what I'm shooting for now in terms of delivering baby blankets and posting pics.
I hope you are all well.

momwolf
10-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Kimmie Jeff is coming home today :woohoo::woot:for 2 weeks before he leaves for Iraq
Still working on blanket 3.:teehee:

sgtpam
10-21-2008, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=momwolf;1165288] Jeff is coming home today for a week before he leaves for Iraq
QUOTE]

So glad your hero's coming home for break...give him a message from me and mine..

THANK YOU..........:grphug: :cheering:

"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

ritaw
10-22-2008, 02:06 AM
Nice to have you back Kimmie:)
Julie - As pam said - A big hug from me and a big thankyou for Jeff. I know you mut be so excied to see him .

kimmie
10-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Hooray, momwolf!! I know you are just soaking up every minute with your son. I am happy for you that you get to spend time with him and I'll be praying for him (and for you) while he is gone.

I delivered blankets to the hospital this morning and I'm going to post a picture here in a minute, but I was so excited to see your note about your son that I had to reply first!

kimmie
10-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Here is the picture I took this morning when I delivered the precious blankets you made. When I was sitting in the waiting area waiting for the bereavement coordinator to meet me, I felt a mixture of so many feelings. For one thing, there was a young woman also sitting in the waiting area, but she was going in and out of a patient's birthing room. This young woman would go in for awhile and then come out sobbing. I have no idea what was going on, but it reminded me strongly of what we have all been knitting for...to give compassion to others when they need it the most.
I also thought about my own baby and the stranger that I'll never know that crocheted a little baby sweater for him. It meant so much to me. It was beautiful and clearly made with love.
Mostly though, I thought about those of you who knit blankets out of the goodness of your hearts - not knowing me and certainly not knowing the babies or families that will receive the blankets. I felt a little lonely sitting there...wishing that you could all be with me, but I held onto those blankets knowing that so much love was knit into the blankets and that I wasn't alone at all. Hopefully that's what the parents of the babies will feel too.
So, thank you all ever so much. I'm still knitting away and I'll be happy to keep bringing over as many blankets as you send. Lori, the bereavement coordinator said that they have had a lot of babies pass away lately and thus, the need for the blankets. She loved that there was a variety of colors and styles, because she said each baby and each family is unique. The nurses spend time looking through the blankets and pick out the one that fits each situation the best. So, thank you, thank you, thank you.

momwolf
10-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Thank Kimmie:hug:It is good to have him home:woot:

ritaw
10-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Thanks you Kimmie . It is a very upsetting subject and i am sure it is harder for you, having gone through losing a baby.
Thank you for sharing the picture . xxxxxx

momwolf
10-24-2008, 06:01 AM
Kimmie
You made me:waah: So sorry you had to go through that alone:hug: but you were right we were with you in the blankets we made.I will keep knitting for you as long as you need me to.You must of been posting this when I was posting or I would of written this in my other post about Jeff.Please know you are a very special person to help out these families is need of comfort.The easy part is knitting the blankets,delivering the blankets has got to be heart wrecking for someone who has lost a baby.Thank for being the special person you are:hug:

momwolf
10-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Kimmie just thought I'd let you know I didn't forget you:hug:
Still working on blanket 3 and got side tracked with the Special Olympics scarf and knitting hats for babies and and Odd ball blankets and now knitting mini x-mas socks for our troops:thud:

So if you have time could you knit me a mini sock?:teehee:
Information and pattern in Charity forum.

kimmie
10-27-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm still knitting away on the pink feather and fan. I'm making this one bigger, so that's why it's taking awhile. I'll take a picture one of these days soon. This is my week for doing all those pleasant things like mammograms and dentist visits. No fun, but necessary. At least Dr's offices are great places to knit!
Thanks for the kind words. I didn't mean to make anybody sad. I'm fine!! I am just super thankful for you guys!

momwolf
10-27-2008, 10:57 PM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard: We were posting at the same time.
So you read mine now:tap::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::r oflhard:

kimmie
10-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Yes, I will knit you a mini-sock! I have no idea what that is, but I'll go look and see. I think now that the hospital has a variety of colors that they'll have enough for a little while and I can knit a variety of things rather than just concentrating 100% on baby blankets.

twosticksandstring5
11-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Kimmie,
you are doing such a wonderful thing. I am so sorry to read about the loss of your baby.

I read the first couple of pages of the thread and the last page to save time and am wondering if you can post an update on what you need knit (i.e., hats were mentioned early on). I would be glad to de-stash and put the yarn to excellent use! If you have hat patterns in different sizes please also let me know where to find the post, as well as the dimensions of the needed blankets so I can get started asap.

Debbie

kimmie
11-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Hi Debbie!
You are so kind to reply. I'm sorry about the incredibly long length of the thread. I suppose at some point I should just start a new one since it's really impossible to read through the whole thing. I guess I'm still rather attached to it though! ha. Thanks for your kind words and your willingness to help out.
Right now the hospital is needing full-size baby blankets because they sadly have lost a lot of full-term babies lately and are needing more blankets. I realize that a full-size baby blanket isn't a quick thing to knit, so if you don't have the time, I completely understand. I know that they gratefully accept blankets and hats of all sizes. So, please, knit what you would like to. If you decide to knit a blanket then just pick whatever pattern you want to make. Soft yarn is best and not yellow because as hard as it is to say, the babies who have passed away don't photograph well next to yellow and those photos are precious keepsakes for the parents.
Thank you so very much for offering to knit for this!

gargoylelib
11-01-2008, 01:58 AM
Hiya! I just wanted to say I haven't forgotten :) I still have my
blanket on the needles and am working on it. I am trying to get all
my Christmas knitting done by the first of next week as I'm going
to the U.S. for a month so some projects are going slower than others
but I'm still working on it!!

Libbie :)

figaro
11-01-2008, 03:34 PM
I am also still knitting on my blanket, very simple one in white. I should be done hopefully this week!

figaro
11-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Its done! I will be putting it in the mail early this week but I do need a address to send it to...

kimmie
11-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Libbie - thanks for keeping me posted! I also have one on the needles that is taking awhile because I'm trying to knit some other things too. I haven't even started my Christmas knitting though - good for you! :heart:
Debbie/Figaro - yay!!! I can't wait to see your blanket! I'll take a picture and post it when it arrives I will pm you my address right now. Thank you so much!! :heart:

cheekyprincess
11-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Kimmie, count me in. I am addicted to knitting hats, so I can do a few for you. I may also be able to do some tiny blankeys for you. I have a rather large stash of flannel. (I love the way it feels) What is our deadline to sending them? and where do we send them?

Angie

kimmie
11-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi Angie! Thanks so much for your offer to help! I'm afraid that this thread is so very long and it's hard to find the information tucked within.
I've been doing this for I guess a couple of years now - I'd have to go back and look at the first post to see...my memory fades!! It started as a project for a class I was taking and then ever since that point, the hospital has continued to request more items for the little babies that don't survive. Last year they needed the little burial buntings. This year they requested full-size baby blankets. That said though, they do always need everything. It's sad to think about how many little ones do not make it, but I'm glad to know that the parents have something handmade with love for their little one.
So, there isn't a deadline anymore...I'll just take over things to the hospital when I collect a few and then I'll take pictures and post them. I used to do a drawing and give away yarn goodies, but the economy is tough as we all know, and I'm not in the position to do that right now. Maybe someday I can do that again.
So, that's the update. I know you mentioned you had some soft baby flannel. Even if you sew little blankets rather than knit them, that would be wonderful too. They really appreciate any soft little things.
If you have any questions, please ask!

kimmie
11-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Debbie/Figaro, your pretty white blanket arrived today in the mail. It's so lovely. Thank you so very, very much. I have the day off tomorrow, so I will take pictures and post them. I finished my latest blanket as well, so I think after I have one more, I'll make another trip over to the hospital with them.

kimmie
11-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Hooray!
Figaro's blanket came in the mail yesterday and here are two pictures of it. :heart: :heart: :heart: It's actually white, but the camera didn't capture the true color. The pink one is the latest one I did. It's finished now, but still on the needles in the pic.
Thank you, Figaro!!

figaro
11-20-2008, 09:47 PM
I am so glad you like it, I will knit you another one but I want to find me a different pattern to use. Knit stitch, while it is good tv knitting, it can get pretty boring!;)

momwolf
11-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Kimmie-I am just now knitting the last 8 rows of your blanket:teehee: I will be mailing it to you tomorrow.
Love your pink blanket,just gorgeous:yay: