PDA

View Full Version : Compassionate Knitting Project - Please Read

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

kimmie
02-15-2006, 10:17 AM
As an assignment for a course I am taking, I am supposed to develop a collaborative project. I wanted to choose something that I feel passionately about and I was inspired by something that happened almost 12 years ago when my son Daniel was born with and died from Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. At that time, the nurses at the hospital gave him a beautiful hand crocheted sweater which meant so much to us. It is something that I still treasure. When I called the local hospital to see if there is a need for items like this, the bereavement coordinator said that there is, but she then told me about an even greater need that they have.

This topic may be uncomfortable for some of you to read about, but I know that the compassion in this group is amazing. There are many more babies born far too soon than I ever realized. These babies are loved and cherished even if they never take a breath. It is comforting to many parents to spend time with their baby. Nobody expects or plans for such sadness, so there aren’t miniature hats or blankets for these little ones to wear while they are being cuddled and while pictures are taken. On the rare occasion when the hospital does get in small items, they are so appreciated by the parents. Sometimes the babies are buried in them, and other times the parents save them as precious keepsakes. At a time when parents feel so alone, it can mean so much to know that people they don’t even know care and are reaching out to them.

The bereavement coordinator at the hospital said that most people shy away entirely from the idea of making blankets and hats for babies that have died and yet it brings so much comfort. I know that alone, I cannot make a dent in the need that exists and that is why I am reaching out to you all for help. It occurred to me that the name knittinghelp.com could be double entendre in this situation…that through our knitting we could help ease a tiny bit of the sadness for others.

These miniature items probably will not take very long to knit. For example, the hats should be made to fit a little head the size of a plum. The blankets should be about 10” or 12” square. These do not even have to be knit. (gasp!) The bereavement coordinator said that little flannel blankets would be wonderful too.

Although I know that you are doing this out of the goodness of your hearts, a little external gratification never hurts anything. The name of each person who participates and sends one or more items will go into a drawing. On April 4th, two names will be drawn. One of you will receive two lovely skeins of Manos del Uruguay and the other will become the proud owner of 3 skeins of Noro Kureyon.

I will photograph and post the pictures of the items you donate and their arrival at the hospital so that everyone feels a part of it all. If a lot of people can take a little time to make one item or more, I believe that together we will have done something huge.

If there is interest in doing this, I will open up a KAL topic.
Thank you!

kimmie

Julie
02-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Kimmie,

What a wonderful project -- I am SO interested in participating. I've been active in a child loss community ever since we lost a child in 2002, and I can attest that this kind of project is so needed, and so appreciated by those parents who only have a few short minutes or hours to hold their children.

:heart:

kimmie
02-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Oh Julie!!! I am so sorry to hear about your child! :heart: Thank you so much for jumping right in here.

kimmie

nicolethegeek
02-15-2006, 10:59 AM
I have made hats and such for our local hospitals. With my last two children, I had a "stash" of hats in my bag which I gifted to the nursery, and 2 sweater sets {one pink, one blue} and the one I didn't "need" got donated to the gift shop there. The nurses at the hospital were so touched that I was thinking of others when I was there for me. I had brought dishcloth cotton, my favourite hook, and a yarn needle with me to work on while I was there. You shoulda seen the look on their faces when I gave them all a few crocheted dishcloths for themselves when I left!

kimmie
02-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Wow, Nicole! I bet the nurses really were impressed by that! I sure am!

kimmie

monzogary
02-15-2006, 11:39 AM
You can count me in. I have a stash large enough to be able to spare some to help others.

mrselder
02-15-2006, 11:42 AM
I would love to make something! Where do we send the stuff when we finish?

kimmie
02-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Thank you, thank you Mary and mrselder!! You are all being so great about this! Whenever anyone is ready to send anything, I'll PM you my address. Tomorrow I'll set this up on the KAL forum.
Yay!!
kimmie

WynnieG
02-15-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm in. I'll have some lovely Dalegarn left over even after this Viking Chicken Hat is done. Enough for more than a few little hats.

earthchick
02-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Thank you for posting this, kimmie. I would love to participate and will look for the KAL thread.

kimmie
02-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Thank you WinnieG and Stacey!! I'm so happy this is working out!

kimmie

punkhippiemom
02-15-2006, 01:13 PM
One of my very good friends had a baby stillborn, and she said that the pictures they took for her at the hospital, and the baby clothes they gave her for him were so helpful in getting her through the hard times... I think this is a wonderful idea. Is there a KAL already??

WynnieG
02-15-2006, 01:15 PM
I think with a little nudge to the Knitting Elders, this thread will orb over to the KAL forum.

(Ghah, can you tell I've been watching reruns of Charmed? I'm so sick.)

kimmie
02-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Oh yes, good thinking! Knitting Elders, if you can zap this thread over to the KAL forum for me, that would be fabulous. I just wanted to have the note up here in General Knitting for a day to make sure everyone has a chance to see it. I wasn't sure if everyone reads the KAL forum or not.

Punkhippiemom, I'm sorry about your friend. It's so good that she was able to talk to you about everything. Thank you so much for joining in!

kimmie

Yvonne
02-15-2006, 01:29 PM
This is a wonderful idea. I bet all of us have little balls of yarn which would make some nice tiny hats.
Hats and small blankets, that's what they need? What about fetal demise pouches? I have seen patterns for those on the internet as well, and I know that parents really appreciate those.

CarmenIbanez
02-15-2006, 01:30 PM
I have been knitting baby things for a friend of mine who is soon going to be an aunt. So I have lots of leftover baby yarns. Please count me in, I'll look for the KAL.

margie
02-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Count me in- I would love to help in any way possible. :thumbsup:

Lisa1216
02-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Count me in as well!! I used to work in Labor & Delivery and when we used to have patients deliver very early, even the premie hats were too big. I had a young girl once deliver twins at 18 weeks, and they were each smaller than the palm of you hand. What a great project you have started Kimmie :heart: :heart:

Lady M
02-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Count me in......

I have already been making things from my stash that I will never use, just for the knitting practice and I have so many little balls of yarn from my crocheting days that I was going to toss. Now they can be used for something good.

Anne

Jan in CA
02-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Great idea, count me in, too!

kayeknit
02-15-2006, 03:57 PM
What a nice idea. I would love to make a little blanket or two. You say only 10-12 inches square? Wow, that is really small. Any specific way to go about this, or should I just be creative? Also, where to send it when I finish? Thanks. :heart:

Holly
02-15-2006, 04:08 PM
What a great idea -- I'd love to participate. Can someone share a pattern for a hat in the right dimmensions?
Holly

tab
02-15-2006, 05:57 PM
This is touching. I have a skein of baby yarn I bought on a whim, and this page (http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/preemies.html) has plenty of pattern ideas.

knitncook
02-15-2006, 06:06 PM
This project just really touches my heart. (Hopefully not too long sappy story to follow) When I was pregnant with my first baby, my HCG levels would never rise. My doctor kept telling me I wasn't pregnant. Even did a blood draw, but would refuse to do an u/s. We were living in a very small town with only one active OB/GYN. After 18 weeks of horrid morning sickness, swollen breasts and a definite tummy showing, I called my dh's old family doctor and he had me come in immediately. He scheduled an u/s and found out I was indeed pregnant, but the baby was in distress with a very slow heart beat. I ended up delivering my baby 3 weeks later stillborn. Unfortunately the stupid ucaring and ignorant doctor was attending that day and delivered my baby. S/He was whisked away because they felt it would be best if I didn't see her/him. I never got to hold my baby and was never given a certificate or anything to validate my baby. Many years later I again got pregnant with a baby that was stillborn, but had a totally different experience as I delivered at home with a midwife and was able to hold my itsy bitsy baby and cry over him and feel like it was all real rather than some horrid dream. I remember my midwife being ever so gentle with him and wrapping him in a small blanket which we used to bury him in later that day.

So count me in for this project! I'm sure I have plenty of stash to contribute. I'm trying hard to fathom a baby hat to fit a plum and think maybe the top of a child's sock would be a good start.

kimmie
02-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Wow! I am just overwhelmed by everyone's outpouring of kindness and caring. You guys are the best! Thank you Yvonne, Carmenlbanez, Margie, Lisa, Anna, Jan, Kaye, Holly, Tab and Michelle!!

Yvonne - fetal demise pouches would be perfect. In fact, the bereavement coordinator specifically mentioned that idea. There is one on the website that Tab shared (thanks Tab!!) http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/fetal-pouch.html that I've started making and I think there are others too.

Kaye - let's see...blanket specifics. First of all, I think that anything you do, any size will be great. They don't have to be exactly 10" or 12" square, those are just sizes that they can use a lot of. You could just knit in whatever stitch pattern you like until it looks square - sort of like a big swatch! Does that help? I can be more specific with stitch patterns if you'd like. If anybody else has any ideas, please jump in!

I think a soft acrylic sport weight yarn might work best just because these babies are sooooo tiny and fragile. The acrylic would be washable too. The bereavement coordinator suggested pink, blue or green as colors. That said, I do think that they will be touched by whatever anyone makes regardless of yarn type, weight or color, so please don't let that hold anyone back! I have a full-size worsted weight cotton baby blanket that I started awhile ago that I'm going to finish up and donate along with as many other items as I can make.

Michelle - thank you for sharing your story. I am so incredibly sorry that you lost TWO babies. What a horrible way you were treated the first time around. That is just so sad. I think your idea of making a hat based on the top of a child's sock is really smart. I have been pondering just how to make such a tiny hat myself. Creating patterns is not my forte.

If anyone does come up with a pattern for a tiny baby hat or blanket, could you please post it? The link Tab posted has lots of ideas and I'll search the Internet for more.

Thanks again to everyone! By tomorrow this thread will have a new home in the KAL forum.

kimmie

Barefootmama
02-15-2006, 07:24 PM
I would love to contribute to this. My heart aches for those of you who have lost a child. Sitting here teary eyed I know there isn't much I can do to comfort someone going through such grief, but I'll be happy to try by at least knitting a few things for them and their angel.

mks22300
02-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Kimmie, you can count me in too. My heart aches too for those of you who have shared your stories with us. I cannot imagine what you and other parents must go through when you've lost something so precious.

knitncook
02-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Michelle - thank you for sharing your story. I am so incredibly sorry that you lost TWO babies. What a horrible way you were treated the first time around. That is just so sad. I think your idea of making a hat based on the top of a child's sock is really smart. I have been pondering just how to make such a tiny hat myself. Creating patterns is not my forte.

Since it was my crazy idea to use a sock I'll work something up in the next day or two and post a pattern. Thank you for the fetal demise link. Such a tender idea.

I believe that there is a lesson for everything that happens. We may not realize the lesson for years or decades to come, but I think eventually we understand how that incident affected our lives. I don't believe these things are predestined like someone says, "And today we are going to make Michelle's life really suck" but I think that these things are part of our building blocks that make us ourselves. I have three wonderful children that I have enjoyed raising and while I miss my babies I lost, I can't imagine a world with them because we wouldn't be "us" if they were here. Probably doesn't make any sense. LOL!!

kimmie
02-15-2006, 07:46 PM
I don't believe these things are predestined like someone says, "And today we are going to make Michelle's life really suck"

Oh my goodness, that made me laugh, but I completely understand what you are saying!

kimmie

CarmenIbanez
02-15-2006, 07:49 PM
I can't imagine a world with them because we wouldn't be "us" if they were here. Probably doesn't make any sense. LOL!!

I know exactly what you mean. Whenever someone asks me what I would change about my life, good or bad, I always say no. Because I wouldn't be me if all the things that have happened in my life hadn't happened.

I'm going to get started on these right now. I just love the idea of having something that brings me such joy, and being able to use it to possibly comfort someone else. I have never felt like an artist as a knitter, but with this I sort of do. That probably sounds silly, but I don't care!

kimmie
02-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Thank you mks and barefootmama!! What I think is so wonderful is that so many people are joining in to help for so many different reasons. I want to give everybody a big hug!!

kimmie

jhelanee
02-15-2006, 07:50 PM
I can help out too. A friend and I have been talking about doing this exact same thing for one of our local NICUs, and I am happy to send some to you as well. Thank you for starting this thread/project! :heart:

Jennifer :XX:

momwolf
02-15-2006, 09:49 PM
:sunny: Kimmie, you are a ray of sunshine in many peoples lives!!!! I'm sure many moms & dads will appreciate these wonderful gifts from everyone. Count me in!!!!!!!!! I'll start tonight :X:

Julie

KatyKoolkat
02-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Kimmie, that is a wonderful project! My best friend lost twins at 22.5 weeks (another 10 days and they would have been 'viable'), and the hats and demise pouch she was given to put her babies into was just beautiful! (Yes, I saw the babies, and it was the saddest but most necessary thing I have ever done).

I already donate things to my local hospital, but I will do up a couple more in the next month or so (too many projects on my to do list at this point).

I am very sorry to hear of everyone's losses.

Katy

Ingrid
02-15-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm definitely in, too. Just tell us where to send them.

Cristy
02-15-2006, 10:32 PM
COUNT ME IN!

My husband was born weighing 2lbs 7 ozs--his sister became a NICU/PICU nurse b/c of it. His parents were making funeral arrangements for him b/c no one thought he'd make it...thank God he did...

I am tearing up over this thread and I've also emailed my dsil to ask her to put me in touch w/ someone at her hospital that I can do this for on a regular basis.

I'll go check out the KAL thread to find out where to send the items.

Jenelle
02-15-2006, 10:38 PM
I am in too. These types of things touch my heart in so many ways :heart:

Just tell me what to do and I'll do it.

kimmie
02-15-2006, 11:12 PM
Jenelle, Jennifer, Julie, Katy, Ingrid and Cristy, thank you for volunteering to do this to help comfort parents none of us will ever meet. You are all just the best!!

Cristy - what a great story about your husband!!

I need to figure out how to move this thread to the KAL forum now... Ingrid? Kelly? Let's see if it mysteriously zaps over there. If not, I'll pm someone.

As for where to mail the items, just send me a private message when you are ready and I'll send you my address. I'll plan on delivering them all during the first week of April. Any of you who live close enough who want to join me that day are more than welcome to do so! I'll take pictures too since I know that most people live way too far away to even consider that.

Ingrid
02-15-2006, 11:28 PM
I moved it! A first!

kimmie
02-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Woohoo! Thank you Ingrid!!

DotMom61
02-16-2006, 02:13 AM
Kim --

What a touching and overwhelming response you've had!! You are doing a good thing.

I'd be happy to contribute, too. I'll go through my stash tomorrow & see what I can put together.

margie
02-16-2006, 10:28 AM
I knit this hat yesterday- I found the pattern at Bev's Country Cottage. Here is the link:

http://heavenlyangelsinneed.com/patterns/preemieribhat.pdf

The hat is on a clementine in the picture, to give you an idea of size.

This project is so meaningful- and so EASY to participate in- I used yarn that I had leftover from another project- it took such a little bit of yarn. I'd never have used it for something else- it took me an hour to make the hat, and to think that something that took so little on my end could be so incredibly meaningful to someone else on the other end is enough to keep me knitting more!!

kimmie
02-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Yay DotMom!! Thanks for joining in and thanks for the compliment. You set a great example of doing good things!

Margie!! That hat is so precious and YES you are right, it will mean so much. I have this visual image of everybody knitting up their love and sending it winging on its way to the people who need it so greatly. Thank you so much for posting the picture and the link to the pattern!

:heart: kimmie

MaryB
02-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Kimmie,
Count me in. I imagine we have all been touched by premmie births in one way or another. We cannot take away the grief the parents feel, but we can let them know that some one cares.
Just tell us where and when to send these items.
Thank you for providing this opportunity!

Mary

kimmie
02-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Mary -I just sent you a private message with my address in it, but I'll recap the other details for everyone's benefit.

If everyone's special creations could be at my house by April 4, that would be ideal because that's the day that I'll draw the names for the Noro Kureyon and the Manos del Uruguay. :happydance: I then will deliver everything to the hospital later that week.

Thank you so much everyone!!

Jeremy
02-16-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm in. I'll do my best. Just let me know where to send them.

kimmie
02-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Yay! Thanks Jeremy for joining in!! I'll pm you my address.

kimmie

Yvonne
02-16-2006, 03:29 PM
I can't find it now, but I read somewhere recently that with knitting ministries like this, whether it be a prayer shawl, afghan for a sick friend, lap afghan for nursing home residents, or premie/stillbirth knitwear, that you can knit one short strand of your own hair into the knitted item (invisibly) as a sort of symbol that a part of you went into this. It seems fitting for this project as well.

kimmie
02-16-2006, 03:40 PM
I can't find it now, but I read somewhere recently that with knitting ministries like this, whether it be a prayer shawl, afghan for a sick friend, lap afghan for nursing home residents, or premie/stillbirth knitwear, that you can knit one short strand of your own hair into the knitted item (invisibly) as a sort of symbol that a part of you went into this. It seems fitting for this project as well.

That's a neat idea, Yvonne. I do that all the time by accident, but it's much nicer the way you said it!

kimmie

kimmie
02-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi everybody!

I finished a baby pouch this morning. It is laying on top of a full-size baby blanket which still needs ends tied in. The pink blanket was something I had started quite awhile ago, certainly not with this project in mind. The pink might be too bright for this purpose, so I'm still thinking about that.

kimmie

Julie
02-17-2006, 11:37 AM
I made a wee bonnet -- I used one of my favorite patterns (the lacy bonnet from Knitting for Two) but I used fingering weight yarn and US2 needles instead of what the pattern calls for, because I was curious to see what size it would turn out to be. It's not super teeny tiny -- it would probably fit on a large orange.

DotMom61
02-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Kim & Julie -- those are both lovely!!

I'm working on a burial gown. I'm having a bit of trouble w/ the pattern, though. Unfortunately, there are some mistakes in it, but I think the gown will turn OK, anyway. Hopefully, I'll have it done by the end of the day.

Julie -- Is that bonnet pattern online? It's so sweet!

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 11:51 AM
On Sunday, I'm going to sit and knit with a friend, and I'm bringing yarn and patterns to work on these all day. It will add variety, and make me feel good, too. ;)

kimmie
02-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Oh my GOSH, Julie!!! That bonnet is so incredibly precious!! I think all sizes will be absolutely needed and appreciated, so don't worry at all about that. That is just beautiful.

DotMom, I had major pattern problems with the baby pouch above and it wasn't exactly what I had envisioned, but I think it turned out okay and now I've moved on to a basic basketweave blanket which is much easier!

:) kimmie

Julie
02-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Julie, the pattern isn't online...it's in Erika Knight's Knitting for Two, which I'm reasonably sure you can find at your local library (since I don't have it checked out at the moment ;) )

kimmie
02-17-2006, 12:00 PM
On Sunday, I'm going to sit and knit with a friend, and I'm bringing yarn and patterns to work on these all day. It will add variety, and make me feel good, too. ;)

Isn't it a great side effect of helping others that it helps us feel better too? I can't wait to see what you make, Ingrid!

Quietheart
02-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Wow, I rarely read the KAL thread because frankly I am such a new knitter trying to KAL is way beyond me yet lol
BUT! This I can do! I have tons of little stash and little projects are wonderful for new knitters.
I bet a lot of us are missing this thread, sadly.
I need an addy to mail to :)

Thanks!
Kath

kimmie
02-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi Kath!

I'm so glad you looked at the KAL thread and wanted to do this! Thank you! You have a good point that not everyone reads the KAL forum. Maybe if we post occasionally on the Whatcha Knitting thread and say what our project is for then people who don't read the KAL thread will hear about it?

I'll pm you with my address.

kimmie

Quietheart
02-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Or maybe we can be really sly and put something in our signatures for when we post in other threads? *laugh*

Kath

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 02:20 PM
I was wondering what yarn I was going to use for these. I have a lot of dk Encore, but am concerned about the wool factor. I have cotton, but was concerned about the washability/dryability. I donated almost all of my acrylic to other knitting projects.

I was cleaning out my room and, deep under the bed, found a box containing
at least 2 dozen balls of Paton's Look At Me acrylic baby yarn.

This was meant to be!! :happydance:

kimmie
02-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Or maybe we can be really sly and put something in our signatures for when we post in other threads? *laugh*

Kath

I like that idea!

kimmie

kimmie
02-17-2006, 02:31 PM

Wow! I love stories like that!!

kimmie

monzogary
02-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Here's my first finished piece for this KAL. Its a tiny blanket about 12" X 13" made with just over 1 oz of baby yarn. The pattern stitch didn't come out quite how it looked like in the book, but I think it'll be all right anyway.

kimmie
02-17-2006, 02:38 PM
That is just perfect Mary! The stitch pattern you used is lovely and so is the blanket. I just can't express my thanks enough for what you and everyone here are doing.

Jenelle
02-17-2006, 03:03 PM

What a great find!!

I clean out underneith my bed and I find socks, and lots of them!!! :shifty: (my cats like to go through the dirty laundry and take the socks and washcloths under my bed :rofling: )

Jenelle
02-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Mary that blanket is absolutly gorgeous! :heart:

earthchick
02-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Mary, Kimmie, and Julie: beautiful FOs. All three are really, really lovely.

KatyKoolkat
02-18-2006, 03:06 AM
Hi Kimmie:

Just wanted to ask you if there is a particular yarn we should be using? I try and use debbie bliss cashmerino (because it is soooo soft), but am worried about the sensitivity of the babies' skin.

Also, can you pm me your addy so that I have it in my files?

Thanks
Katy

kimmie
02-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Katy - I think that the Debbie Bliss cashmerino would be a wonderful yarn to use for this. From what I understand, it's really soft and washable. I've never had the pleasure of knitting with it, so if anybody else has any thoughts on it, please share. I can't wait to see what you make!

kimmie

kimmie
02-18-2006, 08:34 AM
Hi Everybody!!

Here's a true confession: I'm technology challenged.

I just realized that when I have been pm-ing people, if I didn't put a subject in the subject line, it didn't send and I apparently went on my merry way not realizing it. Soooooo, if you asked me to email you my address or pm you about something and you didn't get anything from me, I am soooo sorry. I really wasn't ignoring you!! :oops: Please let me know and I'll send it again - correctly this time, so that it actually gets to you - what a concept!!

kimmie

Quietheart
02-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Please let me know and I'll send it again - correctly this time, so that it actually gets to you - what a concept!!

kimmie

* :waving:

Resend to me please :)

Kath

Ingrid
02-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Me too! :D

kimmie
02-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Ingrid - did you get it that time? I tried to send it twice just now, but nothing is showing up in my sentbox. The one for Kath is there. I thought I did it the same way for both of you. If you didn't get it, I'll have to figure out what to do differently.

Thanks for your patience!!

kimmie

MaryB
02-18-2006, 12:15 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

Please resend your address. Thanks!

Ingrid
02-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Ingrid - did you get it that time? I tried to send it twice just now, but nothing is showing up in my sentbox. The one for Kath is there. I thought I did it the same way for both of you. If you didn't get it, I'll have to figure out what to do differently.

Thanks for your patience!!

kimmie

I did get it. Twice. ;)

kimmie
02-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Oh dear, I seem to have done this more than I realized...
I so hope I am doing it correctly now.

kimmie

Ingrid
02-18-2006, 12:28 PM
I know that messages sit in the Outbox until someone reads it, so it may not appear in the Sentbox until it leaves the Outbox. Not positive, though.

kimmie
02-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Alright - it looks like I've *finally* figured out how pm....although I sent Ingrid the same message twice and Kath got one for Katy. :doh: Oh my. Kath suggested caffeine might help me, so I'll try that - ha! Whatever works!

margie
02-18-2006, 02:46 PM
I went to my LYS today to get some more of the Plymouth "Heaven" that I am using for a baby blanket- I told the owner what I was knitting for, and she went in the back room and came out with a bunch of partially used skeins of heaven, as well as rainbow rimini, which is similar. She gave them to me! I thought it was so nice of her. I have yarn to do at least 3 blankets, as well as some really pretty and soft baby yarn for hats that is white with pastel accents. :cheering:

Jan in CA
02-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Margie that is awesome! I don't know them well enough in the LYS to have that happen yet.

mks22300
02-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Here's my first wee hat. This is the first time that I've ever worked on something so tiny. It took a couple of rounds to get used to the two circs, (I've used them before to finish a hat, but have never started out a project using them). For some reason everytime I took the picture, the hat looked a bit blurry-even with the flash off and the close ups I took were even worse :?? .

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/mks22300/LittleHat.jpg

Kimmie, can you pm me with the info, please?
Thanks,
Marisa

Yvonne
02-18-2006, 04:39 PM
I've made one tiny pink bonnet and have started a matching blankie (no pics yet).
What amazes me is the sheer tininess of them.
I'm glad to be given the opportunity to be part of this.

kimmie
02-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Once again, I find myself being so touched by everything you all are doing. I think I need to consult the thesaurus for new words to express how I feel!

Margie - thank you so much for sharing about your LYS owner donating yarn for you to use for this project. The caring and willingness to help is really inspiring.

Marisa - The little hat is adorable. I love how the orange and the cat are in the picture for scale. What pattern did you use?? I pmed you with my address...(at least I think I did...I'm all paranoid about that now!!)

Yvonne - I can't wait to see the bonnet and blankie! Yes, the items are so itty bitty and as I'm knitting I keep thinking that I should be making these bigger and then I realize that they sadly are just the size they need to be.

When I see the lovely things everyone is knitting I think about how comforted the parents are going to be that others out there recognize how precious their little ones are and that people cared enough to make something special just for them.

Ingrid
02-18-2006, 07:22 PM
It slays me to see how small these are. I know in my head that they will fit, but my heart says 'no way!'

Thank YOU, Kimmie, for bringing this to our attention!

horve1
02-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Kimmie - I want to do a few things for the babes too. When do you need them? Where do I send them? Not to be a PITA, but if you would PM me, I'd appreciate it very much. What a heartfelt project this will be! My DH, (in his first marriage), lost a little boy - Kenny - at just a few days old, born way too soon! So I'll be sort of doing it for him.
Amy

Yvonne
02-18-2006, 08:32 PM
It slays me to see how small these are. I know in my head that they will fit, but my heart says 'no way!'

I was thinking the same thing. When I finished the bonnet, I thought that it was too small and I'd have to do it over, but then I went to the grocery store and happened to see the plums. I was dismayed to discover the size was okay after all.
So tiny. Poor little things.

kimmie
02-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Amy - thank you for joining in memory of Kenny. That is so sweet of you to do! I am more than happy to pm you my address (as many times as I need to before I actually do it right!) ;)

If the baby items could be to my house by April 4, that would be great. I'm going to draw two names that day from everyone who sent something. One person will get 3 skeins of Noro Kureyon and the other will get 2 skeins of Manos del Uruguay. Later that week I'll bring everything to the bereavement coordinator at the hospital.

kimmie

Ingrid
02-18-2006, 08:36 PM

I was thinking the same thing. When I finished the bonnet, I thought that it was too small and I'd have to do it over, but then I went to the grocery store and happened to see the plums. I was dismayed to discover the size was okay after all.
So tiny. Poor little things.

I was thinking the same thing today when I went grocery shopping. I bought plums and clementines, and realized that I could try my hats on them tomorrow.

earthchick
02-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Marisa, what a sweet little hat.

I am so touched by this project and moved by the experiences people here have shared of their own or other's losses. Thank you, kimmie, for inviting us to be a part of this.

kimmie
02-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Marisa and Ingrid, thank you. The truly special thing about this though is the collective outpouring of compassion that everyone is putting into it.

Jan in CA
02-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Kimmie, I haven't had a chance to start this yet, but soon. Can you recommend the type of yarn and colors that would be best? Or is this posted elsewhere here.. :??

kimmie
02-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Hi Jan!

Here are just some ideas, but other types of yarn are absolutely fine too:

Soft, washable yarns of any kind are perfect. I'm not usually a big fan of acrylic, but for this type of project, it is great and that is what I'm using. Someone mentioned using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino which sounds lovely. Because these babies are so tiny, a sport-weight yarn, or something like that would probably be good. For every one of these suggestions I can think of exceptions though...there are some beautiful non-washable baby yarns out there that would make really special keepsakes.

The bereavement coordinator suggested pink, blue and green as colors.

I hope that helps! If anyone has some names of specific yarns that they think would work well, please post them. What I'm using now is from my stash and it doesn't have labels anymore, so I'm not sure what it is.

kimmie

Julie
02-19-2006, 12:37 AM
I'm using up odds and ends, but I also ordered some Baby Cashmerino :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
02-19-2006, 03:17 AM
Thanks, Kimmie! That helps a lot.

mks22300
02-19-2006, 01:21 PM
The pattern that I used was from
http://bevscountrycottage.com/stretchyknit.html
and it was Bev's Preemie 3 Needle Cap (I used 2 circs instead of DPNs) and the yarn I used was some red heart baby yarn. As I was making it, I just couldn't believe that something so tiny could ever fit anything. It makes me feel sad and at the same time happy that I could do something to help these parents in their time of need. Thanks Kimmie for starting this!!
BTW, I got your pm!

On a side note, can any one tell me how you do those handy-dandy links, you know what I'm talking about, just click on a word and it take you to the site? I know how to do it on another forum I go too, but I haven't figured out how to do it here :?? . Thanks!

Jan in CA
02-19-2006, 01:51 PM
What I do to get the text links is to highlight the words I want linked. Then click URL. Now delete the first close ] and add an = and then paste or type your URL in and then use a close ] after it. It will look like this, but WITHOUT the spaces. It sounds complicated, but once you get the hang of it you can do it quickly.

[ url = http : // www . mylink . html ] highlighted words [ / url ]

Bev's Country Cottage (http://bevscountrycottage.com/stretchyknit.html)

Cristy
02-19-2006, 04:07 PM
I found this while looking for patterns on the bev's country cottage site...thought it might be helpful.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/melindas-patterns.html

aylaanne
02-19-2006, 07:14 PM
I think I'm going to go out and get some fine yarn and size 2 needles just for this project. Thanks.

Ingrid
02-19-2006, 07:51 PM
I got three hats done today and I think I'll start a little blanket tonight. The friend I was with today had a son (now 20) who was less than 3 pounds, and she remembers how small his head was and thought the hats would be just about right. Hard to imagine.

DotMom61
02-20-2006, 02:04 AM
All the projects are precious!! So tiny.

I finished up the burial gown I was knitting -- just need to wash it and find a piece of ribbon to lace through the eyelets.

Kim -- could you PM me w/ your address?

Thanks so much -- I'll try to post a picture tomorrow, if I can squeeze it in!! Lots to do tomorrow.

BinkyKat
02-20-2006, 02:09 AM
I'm hoping to try my hand at something on this KAL too...
I just finished a blanket for my nephew's baptism and I used Bernat Baby Softee. It's acrylic but very very soft! Way more so than Lion Baby Soft.
It comes in the standard baby colors, gender specific and gender neutral colors, and white of course.
Just wanted add my 2 1/2 cents to the conversation!
:thumbsup:
Jodie

kimmie
02-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted what patterns you used or found that others might like to try. I think that really helps. The measurements link that Cristy posted was good too.

Aylaane and Jodie - yay! Thanks for joining in!!

Ingrid - I love all the little hats. I can't get over how speedy you are!

Dotmom - the burial gown sounds like it will be so lovely with the ribbon laced through the eyelet. I can't wait to see the picture! I will pm you my address.

Julie - I have been trying to use up yarn that I already have, however that Baby Cashmerino is calling my name too and I might have to search some out...

knitncook
02-20-2006, 11:57 AM
What a weekend. I made up 2 little hats on Saturday and am just now getting here to post directions. These are so simple to make and make up really quickly. I wish I had a cord for my digital camera handy as they came out really cute.

Hat A:

Cast on in multiples of 8 stitches (you can use just about any variety of yarn and needle you like creating different sized hats depending on yarn, needles, and tension :) )on dpn's of your choice. Join without twisting.

K2, P2 Ribbing for 1/2 inch
Knit for to your desired height
To close hat purl every other row:
Round 1: K6, K2tog around
Rond 3: K5, K2tog around
Round 5: K4, K2tog around
Round 7: K3, K2tog around
Round 9: K2, K2tog around
Round 11: K1, K2tog around
Round 12: K2tog around
draw yarn through remaining stitches and pull tightly to close.

Hat B:
Cast on as for hat A
Knit to your desired height (you will have a rolled brimmed hat)
To close, follow instructions for Hat A, but eliminate purling every other row.

On Hat B I cast on 40 stitches and ended up with a beautiful star on the top of the hat since it had 5 "arms" in the decreases. Hat A was made with a sport weight on size 2 dpn's and made a taller pointier hat. Hat B I made in fingering weight on size 2 dpn's and made a shorter softer rounded hat.

DotMom61
02-20-2006, 12:38 PM
I apologize if someone has already posted this link, but I found some really nice patterns for both preemie and burial stuff here (http://www.geocities.com/tatt3r/knitmenu.html).

And, Michelle, your hats sound really cute! I just want to knit ALL this stuff!!!

margie
02-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Here's an itty bitty blankie that I made this weekend. I used Plymouth Heaven yarn (how appropriate!). The blanket is 10 inches square.

kimmie
02-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Michelle - thank you for posting those patterns. When I finish the blanket I'm working on, I think I'll try one of those.

DotMom - I hadn't seen that link - thanks for posting it!

Margie - The blanket you made looks so soft and cuddly and comforting. :heart: It's just beautiful.

Ellen Edwards
02-20-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm so glad I saw this. :thumbsup: I'd like to do something too. I'm not a fast knitter, but I remember a time, 35 years ago now, when our second child, a little boy--born before his time because of a kidney stone I had--could have been buried in a gown or bankie someone had lovingly made just for him!!16 months or so later, his brother, Ed , was born and soothed our hearts....and still does!! :heart: But I've never forgotten....

monzogary
02-20-2006, 07:27 PM
I've been busy knitting away and finished a little hat today. The doll that is modeling it is a 12" baby doll. The hat is made on size 1 DPN's from the top down and with Bernat Lollipop ombre baby yarn. I'm not too fond of how pointed it is so next time I do a top down hat I will use 5 DPN's instead of 4 to make it a little more rounded. I also finished another little blanket yesterday. Its about 14" x 14", made on size 7 needles with a boucle yarn. I'm off to start something else now!

margie
02-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Mary, that hat is adorable. I like the blanket too- it looks similar in pattern to the blanket that I just made.

Cristy
02-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Mary--those are soooo beautiful!

knitncook--thanks for the patterns..I've almost finished hat B...it's soooo small...I keep thinking that it can't be right but I started w/ 40 stitches on size 3 dpns...at my snb tonight one of my group members has a friend who just lost twins (one a few hours after birth and the other about 4 days later) said that it might actually be a little large on babies as small as theirs...I almost cried. I just can't imagine heads that small...

kayeknit
02-21-2006, 10:07 AM
All of your FOs look sooo beautiful, everyone! :inlove: I am working on a little blanket, and I need an address where to send it when I finish. Unfortunately, I will not be able to post a picture, as I don't have a digital camera... :crying:

BinkyKat
02-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Oh Ellen, what a touching story. I am always humbled when folks share stories like that. A gal I used to work with lost a baby 5 months into her pregnancy, a little girl she named Ryan Dee. The hospital had little "Angel pockets" to wrap baby in for pictures and my friend had a little kit of all the things like the hospital bracelet and such to keep. She brought it to work to show us and tell us about their time with Ryan. I know it was part of her healing process, but it really made me feel privileged to know she shared it with us.

Lisa1216
02-21-2006, 11:56 AM
knitncook--thanks for the patterns..I've almost finished hat B...it's soooo small...I keep thinking that it can't be right but I started w/ 40 stitches on size 3 dpns...at my snb tonight one of my group members has a friend who just lost twins (one a few hours after birth and the other about 4 days later) said that it might actually be a little large on babies as small as theirs...I almost cried. I just can't imagine heads that small...

I have seen little ones whose heads were just a little bit bigger than an egg. It all just depends how early they are born and how developed they actually are. :heart: Some of these precious babies can be held in just the palm of your hand.

kimmie~I sent you a pm for your address. I finished a small blanket and have started a hat. I'll post pics when I get home tonight. Everyone's FO's are awesome :cheering:

DotMom61
02-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Mary --

Your FOs are precious, and so are those smiling faces in your sig!!

horve1
02-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Made my first pair of booties, but I'm afraid they're too big. 3" from toe to heel. I'm making more - smaller - but will these be worth sending?

monzogary
02-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Mary --

Your FOs are precious, and so are those smiling faces in your sig!!

Thanks! Don't let the smiling faces fool you - they can be little devils LOL.
And thanks to everyone else who commented on my FO's. I started a tiny little gown last night and hope to get it done by tomorrow. Then after that I have tons more single and partial skeins of cute stuff in my stash that can be put to good use! If I don't use a lot of it up, I think I may contact the big hospital near here and find out how I can do something similar for them.

Yvonne
02-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Mary, is the pattern for that hat you made available online? It's so sweet and pretty. While we're at it, I see a cute bonnet in your Avatar. Is that pattern free someplace?

monzogary
02-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Mary, is the pattern for that hat you made available online? It's so sweet and pretty. While we're at it, I see a cute bonnet in your Avatar. Is that pattern free someplace?
The hat pictured I just made top down with 4 DPNs. I started with 2 sts each on 3 needles and increased every other round until it was as big around as I wanted it, then did a few rounds of garter stitch. The pretty stitch pattern I adapted from a book of stitches I have. As for the bonnet in my avatar, its a pattern from a vintage book my mom gave me from the early 50's! So sorry to say neither are available free online. :(

Yvonne
02-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Mary, thanks for the info. I was doing the same thing with hats, i.e., plugging a pattern stitch into the part that is not the crown-shaping part. :)

kimmie
02-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Wow, everyone has been so busy!

Trudy - Thank you so much for joining in in memory of your little boy. My heart just goes out to you and everyone else who has faced the loss of a child. Hugs!!

Mary - the little blanket and hat look soooo soft and I love the pattern on the hat. I can't get over how talented everyone is!

Kaye - I'll pm you my address and don't worry - I'll take a picture and post it for you when it arrives at my house. Thank you!!

BinkyKat - you are so right about the healing process and how many people need to talk about their loss - a lot. It just helps to know that others care and that's why I know people are going to really, really be touched by what everyone is making...because it shows how much people care.

Lisa - I pmed you, so hopefully you have my address. Thanks for sharing your experience about working at the hospital with these little babies. Like Cristy said, it is just so hard to fathom how tiny they are.

Horve - Your booties sound adorable. I'm guessing that 3" booties might be too big for preemies, but I would think that there are bigger babies at the hospital and that the nurses would find a good use for the booties and they would be really appreciated. I'll leave it up to you what you'd like to do. I'm so impressed that you made them. I have a book of baby bootie patterns that I drool over, but I haven't tried any of them yet!

Mary - I am looking forward to seeing the gown you are working on. You and one or two others have mentioned contacting your local hospitals about continuing making things for babies there and that touches me so much! I have no doubt that they will be thrilled to hear from you!

kimmie

tab
02-21-2006, 08:40 PM
I just finished a hat, a simple rolled brim thing maybe 2 inches high. It's so tiny it breaks my heart. I hope someone finds it at least a small comfort.
I plan on making a few more items (more hats, maybe a small blanket or two) and sending them all together.

kimmie
02-21-2006, 10:44 PM
I just finished a hat, a simple rolled brim thing maybe 2 inches high. It's so tiny it breaks my heart. I hope someone finds it at least a small comfort.
I plan on making a few more items (more hats, maybe a small blanket or two) and sending them all together.

Thank you Tab! If you don't have a digital camera, I'll take pictures of what you send and post them.

I do believe that as tiny as these baby hats and other things are, they bring a lot of comfort. I think it takes away part of that awful "alone" feeling to know that others cared enough that they took the time to do something special for their little one.

kimmie

raederle
02-22-2006, 04:28 AM
Normally, I just read boards anonymously, but when I found this thread, I HAD to register.

My daughter Aeryn was stillborn April 5th, 2004, a week before her due date. My son Owen just turned four months old today. I cried so hard when they gave me a little box with not handknit, but just ordinary baby hospital clothes for her- hat, gown and receiving blanket. That box, a lock of her hair, her footprints, and pictures are all I have of my first baby, but they mean so much. Because we're military, we didn't want to leave her behind next time we move, so we had her cremated so we could inter her someday when we stay in one place. But I know many people bury their babies in the beautiful clothes they get from donations, which is why if possible sets of two are often requested, one for a keepsake for the parents and one for the baby to wear. I decided to get serious and make something for my son about May of last year, and finished my first big project before he was born, a large crib-size basketweave pattern blanket (from Debbie Macomber's Shop on blossom street, if anyone is interested in the pattern) and I was so proud!

I succeeded in making his blanket, but failed to get a knit layette done for him. Not from lack of trying! I made a pair of socks, two pairs of mittens and a hat, but they were all too small. I still have many projects in various stages of not-doneness. I actually have the finished hat and mittens in a plastic baggie that I was planning to donate to the blanket group here in town that makes blankets for newborns (I'm keeping my very first pair of socks.) But they keep moving the meeting, and I don't have the time to chase them down all over town! I'm a distance education masters student as well as a full-time mommy, and I don't like to spend my free time waiting to see if anyone shows up at the library. Mind you, I like the library, but I do all my coursework on the computer on the internet. And I'm supposed to be writing papers, not browsing for new books to read!

Anyway, I found a pattern for a ventilator bonnet, which is my most recent cast on project, at the following website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/my_pages/babywear/index.shtml
by following the links here on the free patterns page:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/free_patterns/preemie.php

I'm trying to find out if the hospital here has use for these kinds of hats,

"Whilst caring for fragile infants in the neonatal intensive care unit, they have ultrasound cranial scans via the anterior fontanelle, which has in the past meant moving the bonnet manually and causing disturbance to the infant We have also found that parents like to keep the hats for posterity which is why we use up these hats so quickly.quote
Ann Bearpark (Sister)
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Leighton Hospital
Crewe , Cheshire"

--------quote from http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/my_pages/babywear/teeny_tiny_baby.shtml

but the volunteer coordinator is on maternity leave. Argh!

So let me send you, kimmie, my hat that couldn't have ever fit my 8 lb 4oz daughter when she was born still, and I will still try to find the Ronald McDonald house here in town for the comradeship, if not to drop off my completed project. The need for preemie hats, burial buntings, angel pockets is great, and unfortunately babies leave this world too soon in all sizes, from less than a pound to full-term. Bless you, for being moved to start this thread and inspire others to do so much good.

Now, this is my first-ever post on this site, so please PM your address, but maybe also direct me to the thread where instructions for new users are kept? So that I can actually receive your PM?

thank you!

flecker
02-22-2006, 10:20 AM
I saw this thread the other day and had a chance to work on a hat yesterday. I got one hat finished and am working on a blanket. I too, am so surprised at the small size of the hat, and should be able to make a few to send, since it really took no time at all.
Please PM me the address so i can send them out. Thanks you.

What a 'compassionate' project. Best word to describe it.
Kim

kimmie
02-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Thank you, Kim!! :cheering: I will pm you with my address right now.

kimmie

horve1
02-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Everyone's FOs are so great!
Just finished a little hat. I'm pretty sure I went small enough this time. I'm going to keep making as many different items as I can, and send a bunch in a few weeks. (I'm going to send the "giant booties" too. They are cute, and someone will be able to use them.) Wish I could post pics. Oh well.

Hugs,
Amy

Ingrid
02-22-2006, 11:24 PM
I have the 3 hats and will likely make more, and an almost done blanket.

I had a wonderful idea, too. When my grandson was born on Christmas--not too small at 9+, they put him and the other babies born that day in a big stocking instead of wrapping them up in blankets. It would be adorable to provide teeny red and white hats for the NICU for the season. My local hospital has a pretty advanced NICU, so I think I will make that my Christmas gift to them. It'll be a great project to knit the the summer since they're so small.

It never would have occurred to me without this project, so thanks!

kimmie
02-23-2006, 12:09 AM
Everyone's FOs are so great!
Just finished a little hat. I'm pretty sure I went small enough this time. I'm going to keep making as many different items as I can, and send a bunch in a few weeks. (I'm going to send the "giant booties" too. They are cute, and someone will be able to use them.) Wish I could post pics.

Amy, I will definitely take pictures of everything you send and post the pictures for you! Thank you so, so much for all you are doing. I know those "giant booties" ;) are going to be absolutely cherished.

kimmie

kimmie
02-23-2006, 12:15 AM
I had a wonderful idea, too. When my grandson was born on Christmas--not too small at 9+, they put him and the other babies born that day in a big stocking instead of wrapping them up in blankets. It would be adorable to provide teeny red and white hats for the NICU for the season. My local hospital has a pretty advanced NICU, so I think I will make that my Christmas gift to them. It'll be a great project to knit the the summer since they're so small.

My daughter was born just before Christmas and went home on Christmas Eve. They gave her one of those huge stockings too. She was just a peanut at 5 1/2 pounds, so she looked so itty bitty in it. We put her under the tree in the stocking on Christmas morning and my then 5 year old son was thrilled by that.

I love your idea about making the teeny red and white hats to give to the NICU babies at the holidays. What a CUTE idea. The parents will love that and the children will marvel over them when they are older. Every year on my kids' birthdays I pull out their first little outfits and they are amazed at how tiny they were.

Thanks for everything you are knitting for this!

kimmie

BinkyKat
02-23-2006, 12:59 AM
In case this hasn't been posted yet...
How about little thumbless mittens? my newest nephew was only 3 weeks late but he was also a tiny 5 lbs. the jersey knit mittens my sil got at tarket were way to big and his fingers just to hard to trim the nails on. i made some premie sized mittens in cream alpaca. can't remember the weight, not fingering, but i can't remember which is thinner, dk or worsted...or is it the same?
anyhow, they worked out perfectly! i got the pattern on kpcentral :thumbsup:

jamadian75
02-23-2006, 01:41 AM
Sidenote: There aren't enough hours in the day to read all I would like to on this forum!! Wow - so glad I stayed up long enough to find this

kimmie, please PM me the address...I will begin work on some things in a couple of days. This seems like the perfect way to use some of the left over yarns from other projects instead of letting them lie around.

I commend you for finding a purpose in your loss and for giving others the opportunity to share their kindness.

margie
02-23-2006, 08:41 AM
My father was at our local senior center yesterday, and apparently was telling someone there about the knitting I've been doing, both for the chemo kids knitalong and this project. They made the comment that our local hospital has a need for these little tiny items too. I think they volunteer there. I'm going to call and see what I can find out- that way, I can make them for both! I've gotten 3 little hats, 2 blankies, and one bonnett finished. The bonnett is adorable- a little bigger than the micro-preemie hats I've made, but I'm sure it will be usable. I will post a picture of it after I get the ribbon to thread through the eyelets. I started another blankie yesterday.

Kimmie, I'm so glad that you started this project. Look at all the good that is being done- talk about a ripple effect!!

kimmie
02-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Jamadian - I pmed you my address. Thank you so much for joining in! I am so excited by the continued response to this. You all deserve a great big hug!!

Margie - It made me happy to hear that your Dad was telling his friends about these things you are doing. He is clearly so proud of you!!

That "ripple effect" that Margie mentioned is so wonderful! Several people have mentioned continuing this project at their local hospitals and others like Ingrid with the preemie Christmas hats and BinkyKat with the preemie thumbless mittens are thinking of other ways to reach out. It makes me feel SO good to think that one idea can blossom and affect so many people.

Warm fuzzies!!

kimmie

Yvonne
02-23-2006, 01:33 PM
I agree re: the ripple affect. This is going to go on and continue way past the time Kimmie's project is over. It reminds of that movie, Pay It Forward. You just never know where something will lead and just how many lives it will affect.
I'm onto blankie #3, did one fetal demise pouch, two bonnets and a handful of hats thus far. I will send whatever I finish up in probably mid-March. I'll post some pics after I attach all the various ribbons and stuff.
Kimmie, if you PM me with your address I'll make a note of it and send my batch of stuff in a few weeks.

kimmie
02-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Wow Yvonne! You have been really busy!! I'll pm you my address.

I finished a little pink blanket that I will take a picture of soon and am working on another. I'm having fun trying out different stitch patterns.

kimmie

Ellen Edwards
02-24-2006, 12:23 AM
Kimmie--look at all this wonderful stuff you got started!! :inlove: I'd never thought of the need for this, even though I lost a little one 6 months into my pregnancy. I stayed in a coma for over a week from blood loss and I found out then that I'd lost him. When I woke up my dh was on one side of the bed and my mom on the other and they told me he lived for a few hours. I still remember the emptiness. :crying:

My daughter was 5 years old, and I didn't see her for over a month because I stayed in the hospital that long. Back then, they wouldn't let kids under 12 up there--when I got home, she and I just held each other and cried forever, so glad to see each other again. !! :heart: :heart:

I've made a hat and blankie already and plan on trying some other little things. They are SO teeny! :heart: Let me know your address, and I'll send them and whatever else I do, and I'll try to get a picture before I send them!

kimmie
02-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Oh Trudy!! What happened to you and your family is so heartbreaking!! I cannot begin to imagine what it would have been like to be in a coma for so long only to awake to the reality that your baby died and then to be separated from your daughter on top of it all. Thank you so much for sharing that with us. I am so, so sorry for the loss of your baby and for having to be away from your little girl just when you needed each other so much. Big hugs to you!! Thank you for all you are doing to help comfort others. I'll pm you my address.

kimmie

raederle
02-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Normally, I just read boards anonymously, because life gets busy, and I drop off the face of the earth, then feel guilty when I can't remember my login name and password. D'oh!

It's so funny, because here I am in El Paso, trying to pursue a volunteer blanket knitting group which seems to be purposefully hiding from me, so I can drop off the hat and mittens that I made for them to take to the local hospital. I made them for my son before he was born, then I realized they were way too small as soon as I finished them and showed them to other parents. They said, "No way will those fit, even on the day he's born!" At least I finished his crib blanket, my first big project, and in a pattern other than ribbing, too.

My son is now four months old, and I have started to get back into knitting, since I have reclaimed my arms since he doesn't want to be held 24/7 as much.

Please PM me your address, so I can send you what I have. I'll still try to track down the blankie group, but more for comradeship than for a drop-off. Also, as you may be able to tell, I'm brand new to posting, so if you could, point me in the direction of instructions for receiving PM's, please?

My motivation for trying to find this group is my daughter, Aeryn, who was stillborn a week before her due date on April 5th, 2004. The little box that they gave me with all the normally hospital-provided clothes-- hat, gown, and receiving blanket-- is one of the few things I have of hers, besides precious pictures.

Aeryn was so beautiful, 8 lbs 4oz, only her mouth was a little too red, and other than that, you'd never know she was anything but sleeping. Both my parents and in-laws were over-the-top excited to become grandparents for the first time, so we were so blessed that they were able to fly to El Paso in time to hold her before we let her go. It helps so much to hold them, and take photos, and if they can be dressed in something beautiful that's so much better, too.

Yes, make lots of angel pockets and hats that could fit a nectarine. But babies leave us too soon in all sizes, from heartbreakingly small to full-term.

There are some really good links in the Free Patterns section for Preemie stuff, as well as burial gowns. A special note: Bereaved parents often like to have sets of two, one to bury their baby in, and one to keep. Because we're military, we didn't want to leave our daughter behind when we move, so we chose to cremate her, and we'll inter her someday when we live somewhere permanently.

This page:

Ellen Edwards
02-25-2006, 10:43 AM
You're welcome....I hope I didn't bring everyone down!! PLEASE please everyone, don't feel as if you cannot talk about the loss of loved ones. I know I have a wonderful son who I may NOT have had if my first little boy had lived. If he had lived, who knows under what circumstances?? He may not have been well a day in his life, and my DS has been such a great blessing to us, really. I would give my life for him and for my daughter. I am sure that all the rest of the parents out there feel the same way!!

This has been a god project for me; I've enjoyed using that Bernat Softee (I HITNK that's the name" and it's Sooooo soft. Just feeling it slip through my hands is a pleasure, and I think of the mothers and fathers who will be so glad to get a handmade dress or blankie to wrap their precious little one in!!! One of the things I'm making looks like a miniature prayer shawl, and they will need prayers to get them through that time. But hopefully, they'll have other children and be happy again one day. :heart:

kimmie
02-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Hi Everybody!

I finished up this bitty blanket a couple of days ago and just got the chance now to take a picture of it. I am working on another one in the same yarn, but with a different stitch pattern. The great thing about these small projects are that they don't take too long!

I hope you are all having a good weekend!

kimmie

KatyKoolkat
02-26-2006, 05:30 AM
Just to clarify, kimmie, can we make whatever size we want to and it will be used, or is it the micro preemies that are most in need?

Also wanted to post this (http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/head-sizes.html). If you scroll down it tells you the different approx sizes for all sizes of babies, from 1 lb to 11lbs, as well as foot lengths, blanket sizes, and babies less than a pound. I know I have this on my favorites list and refer to it often.

HTH
Katy

kimmie
02-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Hi Katy - great question!

The way this evolved was that originally I wasn't really considering size at all. It wasn't until I spoke with the bereavement coordinator at the hospital that she expressed the huge need for the very tiny blankets and hats. At that point I felt that these "micro" items should be the main focus of this project, primarily because that is where the largest need is.

That said, I know from personal experience that the larger items are also needed and cherished. If anyone prefers to make larger items, I think that is wonderful too and I will be honored to bring them to the hospital where I have no doubt that they will be more than appreciated.

I hope that answers your question!! Thanks so much for sharing the great link! That will come in handy!

raederle
02-28-2006, 12:31 AM
all sizes are needed. while more losses may occur at earlier stages, it is just as heartbreaking to experience loss at 6 wks or 39 wks. my daughter Aeryn was stillborn on April 5th, 2004 a week before her due date at 8lbs 4oz. the box containing hospital-issue receiving blanket, gown and hat is still so precious to me. a special note: it is sometimes a good idea to donate sets of two, as parents may want to use one set for burial, and one set for a keepsake. just safety pin the two together. we're military, and didn't want to leave our little girl behind next time we move, and instead had her cremated so we can inter her when we settle somewhere permanently.

i have some finished projects that i would like to donate-- i decided i wanted to knit something before he was born for my son Owen who is just four months old. i DID finish his crib blanket, my first ever big project, in a basketweave pattern, to boot! but i didn't get a chance to complete his knit layette as i wished to-- not from lack of trying! everything i made was too small, and other parents i showed them to told me, "that won't even fit him the day he's born!"

so please PM your address so i can send you a hat and some thumbless mittens. (i'm keeping the socks, that was my first ever pair!) and please point me in the direction of instructions on how to receive PMs? as you can see, i'm new here and normally i just read boards anonymously, cuz i feel guilty if life gets busy and i can't remember my login name and password the next time i visit...

it's funny, i've been trying to track down the blanket volunteer group here in town, but they keep moving. i'm even in the process of figuring out if the local NICU would be able to use Ventilator bonnets, see pattern here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/my_pages/babywear/hkp/001.shtml

in order to make tiny hats. then i see this KAL. well, i'll still try to find the blankie group, but for comradeship, not for drop-off. i'll try to work on some more projects as well, in micro sizes.

thanks for putting this together, and i'm sorry for your loss. i wear a locket with Aeryn's picture in it everyday, so she's always with me.

Lisa1216
02-28-2006, 10:20 AM
kimmie~ I finished a couple of blankets and 2 hats and will send them out to you. I will try and get a few more done, but I wanted to get these out. The heart blanket is difficult to see the pattern in it. It has a heart pattern to it. Do you want them sent via the regular mail or is UPS ok?

kimmie
02-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi Raederle!

I'm glad you decided not to be a lurker anymore!! I'm very, very sorry about your little girl. (((Hugs))) You have a lot of good ideas that you shared. Thank you for joining in the KAL.

I have pmed you my address. As many of the people here have already experienced, I'm not the most tech saavy person around, so I'm probably not the best to try to explain anything about pming, but I'll do my best. Anybody who wants to jump in and correct me or explain it better, please do!!

To PM somebody, click on the little pm button at the bottom of their post. Then (and this is the part I recently learned) put something in the subject or it won't go anywhere. After that, just type the message and send it off. The recipient will get an email with a link to their knittinghelp.com inbox and that's it. I hope that helped!!

kimmie

Andrea
02-28-2006, 11:10 AM
I've been reading these posts and I can't help but tear up at these. Everything is so beautiful...and :heart: hugs :heart: to Raederle and Trudy!

:heart: :heart:

I've been a lurker, but as soon as I can get to the store and get some baby yarn, I'd like to donate...will this will be an ongoing KAL, after your project is done, Kimmie?

Cristy
02-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Lisa--those are beautiful...are those shareable patterns...especially the first blanket...i?

itscryttle
02-28-2006, 06:30 PM
HI ladies...

I too have been reading along and just in awe off all your beautiful knits you have made.

I have recently been making some baby gifts for a few friends I know that are pregnant. And decided to make a few extras to contribute to your cause.

I am currently working on a preemie hat. And I will make a few more.

My oldest daughter has also taken up knitting and can whip up a baby hat on a knitting loom in 2 days :thumbsup:

Barefootmama
02-28-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm still pretty slow, but I'm working on a blanket right now. I wish I knew how to do hats on dpn's so I could contribute a few of those as well. Hopefully I'll get a chance to sit down and do another blanket or two. I love the patterns posted last and would love to know too if they're shareable?!
It's so nice to see everyone coming together to help out with this. :heart:

Ellen Edwards
02-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks Andrea--for your kind words. It never hurts a parent to ask them how they are, or to ask if they'd like o talk about it. We have a great LOVE for our children, and whether you lose one at birth, or when she's 31, you still want to people to NOT ignore the fact that they are a part of your life, that you want to know that people remember them!! (Well, I should say I'm just speaking for myself now!! )

I have 2 tiny bankies and a little hat so far. I'm having trouble with my foot , it's numb and I am having trouble walking without a cane. I will send these, just in case I have to go in the hospital--which I hope and pray I won't!! I'd love to have your prayers if you believe in that--I do--and it's helped me through many crises. I just HOPE it's the Fibromyalgia and not something else!! I'm stubborn about going to the doctor, but I know I must!! :rollseyes:

kimmie
02-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Lisa - I :heart: :heart: :heart: the hats and blankets! They are just beautiful!! However you want to send them is fine. Pony Express might be fun!!

Andrea - If people are interested in continuing this after my project is officially over, I would be soooo happy to continue doing this. Thanks so much for joining in!

Barefootmama - I totally agree that it is wonderful to see everyone joining together to help out. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!! Don't worry about how long it takes - it is a gift from the heart and definitely not a race. :heart: :heart:

Crystal - Thank you so much for doing this! If your daughter wants to join in too that would be neat. I'd love to see what she makes!

Huge thanks to everybody!!

kimmie
02-28-2006, 07:45 PM
I have 2 tiny bankies and a little hat so far. I'm having trouble with my foot , it's numb and I am having trouble walking without a cane. I will send these, just in case I have to go in the hospital--which I hope and pray I won't!! I'd love to have your prayers if you believe in that--I do--and it's helped me through many crises. I just HOPE it's the Fibromyalgia and not something else!! I'm stubborn about going to the doctor, but I know I must!! :rollseyes:

Oh dear!! I hope you are okay Trudy!! I'll definitely say prayers for you. While I totally appreciate that you have made the blankies and the hat, please don't compromise your health trying to get them mailed out!! Just get better!!

Lisa1216
02-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Cristy and Barefootmama~The pattern for the heart blanket is here. It is a free pattern. www.frugalhaus.com/scripts/dlblnkt.asp

The other I blanket I made up from a stitch pattern in my Vogue Knitting book called Cheveron and eyelet pattern:

Made on multiple of 9 stitches:
Row 1: (RS) *K4, yo, SKP (slip one knit-wise, knit 1, pass slipped stitch over knit stitch), k3; rep from* to end
Row 2 and all WS rows: Purl
Row 3: *K2, K2tog, yo, K1, yo, SKP, K2; rep from * to end
Row 5: *K1, K2tog, yo, k3, yo, SKP, K1; rep from * to end
Row 7: *K2tog, yo, K5, yo, SKP; rep from * to end
Row 8: Purl
Repeat rows 1-8.

I co 63 sts plus 6 extra. I did a 3 sts garter stitch border on each side. I also did 3 garter stitch rows for a border to start and finish the blanket.
Hope this makes sense.
Kimmie~ I'll get them out to you tomorrow!

KatyKoolkat
03-01-2006, 01:24 AM
Just a question:

I have been wanting to try this (www.knittingknonsense.com-babyfeet.html) pattern for a while, and am just wondering if I do it in a soft color with one patterned and one blank side if they would be suitable for a fetal demise pouch? Or would I have to make it bigger? Apparently, they are only about 8 inches square.

TIA
Katy

kimmie
03-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Just a question:

I have been wanting to try this (www.knittingknonsense.com-babyfeet.html) pattern for a while, and am just wondering if I do it in a soft color with one patterned and one blank side if they would be suitable for a fetal demise pouch? Or would I have to make it bigger? Apparently, they are only about 8 inches square.

TIA
Katy

Katy, for some reason I couldn't get the link to work. My guess is though that if there is a pattern out there that you feel would be nice, there is someone out there who would really be touched by it.

kimmie
03-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Lisa!! Thank you for posting those patterns. Now I *need* to make these also. So precious!!

kimmie

witis1
03-01-2006, 12:02 PM
This whole thread is incredibly touching and warming to read. It sounds like making these little gifts is healing for many of us as well as comforting for those in need.

Please send me your address, too! I have a little hat and booties made and will gather a few more together and send them the last week of march. I used this pattern http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/lace-beanie.html and feel like it came out even cuter than the picture.

I asked my local hospital about their needs and discovered that they have a huge knitting network already! Who'd'a thunkit? What a way to meet more knitters! Anyhow, they already get lots of baby stuff and told me that their most pressing need now is for toddler hats and mittens to give to ER visit kids that seem underdressed for the weather. So Kimmie will get all my preemie things!

I hope this project carries on past April, it's such a beautiful thing!

-w

kimmie
03-01-2006, 12:47 PM
witis1 - thank you for joining in and for your kind words! The pattern you used looks adorable, so I can't wait to see what yours looks like! I will post a picture of your items when they arrive. I think it is wonderful that your local hospital already has a network of knitters already. I also am so touched at the idea of making hats and mittens for children who visit the ER and don't have these warm items. THAT would make a great KAL too.

I'll pm you my address.

margie
03-01-2006, 12:47 PM
I called my local hospital last week- it was extremely difficult to try to figure out who I needed to speak with about donating items. I called the main switchboard, the NICU, and the PR department. The NICU transferred me to the voice mail of a woman who is the head of the nursing dept for the OB/GYN dept.- she never returned my call. :(

I guess I'll wait a while and then try again.

raederle
03-01-2006, 02:07 PM
KatyKoolKat--

your website had a - instead of a /

here it is corrected:

http://www.knittingknonsense.com/babyfeet.html

margie--

as Churchill said, never never never give up! try asking the switchboard folks for the volunteer coordinator. that's who's in charge at my hospital. now, i'm waiting to hear back about ventilator bonnets. they returned my call, but didn't know the answer. have to do some research, i guess.

kimmie--

as soon as i change out of my spit-up adorned shirt and get my butt to the Post Office, stuff is mailed. I could wait until I had a complete matching set, I could wait until I had more items. Or I could just send what I have now, instead of trying to be perfect!

:)

still going to try to track down the blankie group. still going to try to make micro stuff.

onward and upward, excelsior!

KatyKoolkat
03-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks!

kimmie
03-01-2006, 11:55 PM
as soon as i change out of my spit-up adorned shirt and get my butt to the Post Office, stuff is mailed. I could wait until I had a complete matching set, I could wait until I had more items. Or I could just send what I have now, instead of trying to be perfect!

Yay raederle! I will let you know as soon as your package arrives. It's hard to believe, but the day will come when you will actually MISS having spit-up adorned shirts!

kimmie
03-02-2006, 12:02 AM
I have tons of homework to do both for school and work, but thanks to all the great pattern and yarn ideas, all I want to do is knit that cute reversible hearts blanket (Lisa's idea) with the Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino that I bought today. You wonderful enablers you!

Ingrid
03-02-2006, 10:04 AM
I called my local hospital last week- it was extremely difficult to try to figure out who I needed to speak with about donating items. I called the main switchboard, the NICU, and the PR department. The NICU transferred me to the voice mail of a woman who is the head of the nursing dept for the OB/GYN dept.- she never returned my call. :(

Our local hospital has a Mother's Club, maybe you can see if your's has something similar. Maybe some kind of volunteer services office, too.

monzogary
03-02-2006, 11:56 AM
I got another couple things done. I finished the little gown a few days or so ago and did another tiny hat last night, and am already making another one too. I am having a good time learning new stitch patterns and its not costing me a thing but my time as all the yarn I have been using is just sitting in my stash, some of it for years! And every time I finish something I get this warm fuzzy feeling. :heart: I really like how the top of the pink hat turned out - I just made it up as I went using a pattern stitch out of a book and the top looks a bit like a flower.

monzogary
03-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Boy, these little hats go fast! I finished the second pink hat. No pattern - just made the whole thing up and I think it turned out ok!

Jan in CA
03-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Are you all using DPNs to make these? I made part of a hat last night and then because I don't have a long enough cord to do magic loop I had to put it on DPNs. :shock: Most of it looked okay, but one join didn't and truly bugged me so I pulled it out, however I was able to get it back on the needles w/o losing more than an inch or so. Although an inch on size 4 needles is a lot of work! :roflhard:

monzogary
03-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Are you all using DPNs to make these?
Yep, I'm using DPN's for the hats. I'm only learning how to do 2 circs and have never done magic loop!

jessi_9783
03-02-2006, 06:27 PM
I am joining this KAL. I already have a couple of hats and a baby blanket done. Yarn is Bernat's Softee in Pink Parade.

1-2lber Hat:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/jessi_9783/Knitting%202006/FOs/PreemieCap.jpg

12" Blanket:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/jessi_9783/Knitting%202006/FOs/PreemieBlanky-1.jpg

Ingrid
03-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Very nice! They look lovely in that yarn!

I had free time at work today so I made another little hat. I showed it to the school nurse, since I had taught her to knit. She told me that at one time she was a grief counselor for women who had 'lost their pregnancies' and that she used to ask volunteers, like us, to knit hats from the size of a walnut to the size of an orange. Women needed to dress their babies even though there was no chance of their surviving. When the hospital personnel acknowledged their grief, it helped to lessen the unknowingly harsh comments of others, even if well meant. You know, things like, "Well at least you can have another" or "There's a reason for everything."

We're doing a good thing here people! Another point she made is that since the vast majority of such early labors are unexpected, the parents don't have anything to dress their baby in yet, and certainly nothing that fits; so if the nurses are able to pull out a little hat for their preemie, it gives hope that if someone was willing to knit a hat, maybe there is an expectation that the baby will make it after all.

Jan in CA
03-02-2006, 08:35 PM
I made my first preemie hat. It fits on a small naval orange... is that too large? I don't think it would fit on an average size newborn at all. I have yarn left so I'm going to make a little blanky or something.

http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/58342225-L.jpg

jessi_9783
03-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks Ingrid! Your right, we are doing a great thing. I wanted to do something like this for awhile now. If I we're born today I would be put in the NICU, even though I wasn't born prematurly, because the regular nursery isn't equiped to handle babies who have every bone in their bodies broken in multiple places. I guess I've always had a soft spot for the underdogs.

Jan, your hat is cute.

jamadian75
03-03-2006, 04:17 AM
I am having a good time learning new stitch patterns and its not costing me a thing but my time as all the yarn I have been using is just sitting in my stash, some of it for years! And every time I finish something I get this warm fuzzy feeling. :heart: I really like how the top of the pink hat turned out - I just made it up as I went using a pattern stitch out of a book and the top looks a bit like a flower.

:heart: :heart:
WOW :shock: - the hats are so amazing. I got a warm fuzzy feeling just looking at them and thinking what joy they would bring.

PLEASE write out these patterns, even for yourself as reference later. They are outstanding! :D

kimmie
03-03-2006, 09:10 AM
I had free time at work today so I made another little hat. I showed it to the school nurse, since I had taught her to knit. She told me that at one time she was a grief counselor for women who had 'lost their pregnancies' and that she used to ask volunteers, like us, to knit hats from the size of a walnut to the size of an orange. Women needed to dress their babies even though there was no chance of their surviving. When the hospital personnel acknowledged their grief, it helped to lessen the unknowingly harsh comments of others, even if well meant. You know, things like, "Well at least you can have another" or "There's a reason for everything."

We're doing a good thing here people! Another point she made is that since the vast majority of such early labors are unexpected, the parents don't have anything to dress their baby in yet, and certainly nothing that fits; so if the nurses are able to pull out a little hat for their preemie, it gives hope that if someone was willing to knit a hat, maybe there is an expectation that the baby will make it after all.

Wow Ingrid! You made so many great points. If I could bottle your wisdom (and knitting ability) I'd make millions!!

Thanks so much for all you are knitting too!!

kimmie
03-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Mary - You are so talented!! The gown is gorgeous and the hats are so incredibly cute!! I can make up a blanket with a stitch pattern, but not a hat. I'm very impressed. If you are inclined to post the patterns, I'd love to try making them too!

Jessi - Awwww!!! I just love the little hat and blanket! They look so soft and adorable and snuggly. Thank you, thank you, thank you for joining in the KAL. Did you mean in your other post that when you were a baby you had many broken bones?? Poor little you!! :(

Jan - The hat you made is soooo lovely!! What yarn and pattern did you use? The stitches are so even and the yarn looks so yummy. I think that the size is great. Ingrid just mentioned that everything from walnut to orange size is needed. Also, hats bigger than their heads are often used because their little head bones aren't completely formed so they don't want to be tugging on hats.

Much thanks to everyone!!!!

KatyKoolkat
03-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Hey Kimmie:

Can you pm me your addy again pls? I didn't get it the first time when you were having all those probs with pming ppl.

I am going to go into overtime this week and get a bunch of stuff done for this project, cause sometimes (ok, all the time) I will think it is a great project and intend to contribute, and then time will get away from me and I won't do anything!! So, the sooner you get me your addy, I can start sending stuff!!

Thanks again for posting thie KAL! I have been doing this for so long, but it is nice to do it with others.

Katy

kimmie
03-03-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks again for posting thie KAL! I have been doing this for so long, but it is nice to do it with others.

Katy

There is something special about a group effort, isn't there? I get so inspired by people's comments and stories and the things they make. Every time anyone posts a picture I know that I want to make one like *that* too!!

I'll pm you my address right now.

monzogary
03-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Mary - You are so talented!! The gown is gorgeous and the hats are so incredibly cute!! I can make up a blanket with a stitch pattern, but not a hat. I'm very impressed. If you are inclined to post the patterns, I'd love to try making them too!
kimmie

Aww, thanks Kimmie! You gave me the push I needed to try and write these patterns out! I've never done this before (in 20 yrs of knitting!) so please bear with me if these don't make sense! Please feel free to ask me any questions or point out errors! I will probably post these in the patterns forum as well. I wrote these out for use with the yarn I used, so I don't know how they will work with other yarns, but feel free to try it out and let me know how it works!

Spiraled Eyelet hat
Finished size about 8 ½ ” circumference (unstretched)
Note: this yarn is very stretchy so this hat will have a LOT of give!
Materials:
Paton’s Katrina worsted weight yarn
4 size 6 DPN’s

Cast on 44 sts. Join being careful not to twist sts. K2 P2 rib for 5-6 rnds.
Next rnd: *K 1, K2 tog, YO*, repeat between *’s ending with K2 tog.
Repeat last rnd except move the pattern over 1 st each round so the YO’s are moved one st to the left each rnd to get the spiral effect. Continue until as tall as you would like to the upper crown of hat.
Decrease rnd: keeping the YO’s in pattern, eliminate the K1 and just do the K2 tog and YO’s. Repeat this rnd 2-3 times more.
Next rnd: K1, K 2tog. Repeat this rnd once more.
Next rnd: K2 tog around (don’t worry if you end up with and extra plain K st) – what you want to end up with is 3 sts, so if you don’t get that with this rnd, do one more dec rnd to get to 3 sts. I cord these 3 sts for about 3/8 – ½ inch and then decrease by K 2 tog down to one st and bind it off. I then took the top of this and folded it down to the base of the I cord and pulled the yarn through to the inside and secured it so it made a fake knot looking thing on the top. Weave in ends.

Eyelet cable and rib hat

Finished size about 7 ½” circumference (unstretched)
Note: this yarn is stretchy and has a lot of give, so this hat will stretch a LOT!
Materials:
Paton’s Katrina yarn
4 size 6 DPN’s

Cast on 40 sts, distribute evenly on 3 needles. Join, being careful not to twist sts.
First rnd: *K 1, P 2, K 3, P 2*, repeat between *’s around.
Second rnd: *K1, P 2, slip 1 st purlwise, K 2, psso, P2* repeat between *’s around.
Third rnd: *K 1, P2, K1, YO, K 1, P 2*, repeat between *’s around.
Fourth rnd: Repeat first rnd.
Repeat rnd 1-4 until desired length to upper crown of hat.
Dec rnd: Keeping in pattern, P 2 tog where it calls for P 2.
Work 3-4 rnds even keeping in pattern (P 1 where you P 2 tog in last rnd).
Next rnd: Keeping eyelet cable in pattern, P 3 tog each P 1, K 1, P 1 sequence in the rnd.
Work 3-4 rnds even keeping in pattern (P 1 where you P 3 tog in last rnd). You want the next rnd to be a round where you make the fake cable twist with slip 1 st purlwise, K 2, psso. Instead of K 2, you will K2 tog in this sequence. You should have about 10 sts left. Break yarn leaving a 6 inch tail and with a tapestry needle thread it through the last sts and pull tog and secure on inside. Weave in ends.

Hope these work out for anyone who tries them!

Jan in CA
03-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Jan - The hat you made is soooo lovely!! What yarn and pattern did you use? The stitches are so even and the yarn looks so yummy. I think that the size is great. Ingrid just mentioned that everything from walnut to orange size is needed. Also, hats bigger than their heads are often used because their little head bones aren't completely formed so they don't want to be tugging on hats.

I used Cascade Cherub Collection. It's nylon and acrylic and very soft.

I sorta made up the pattern, but there are a ton of similar ones out there.

CO 70 stitches on size 3 needles (I used 16 in circs) and knit about 1.5 inches or so then switched to size 4. I'm not sure that made any difference though.

Knit for about 4 inches measured from CO row. Switch to DPNs or whatever method you like for small diameter knitting.

Start decreasing :
*k8, k2tog*
Knit 2 rows even

*k7, k2tog*
Knit 2 rows even

*k6, k2tog*
Knit 1 row even

*k5, k2tog*
Knit 1 row even

*k4, k2tog*
knit 1 row

Continue decrease rows in pattern now and when you are down to about 8 stitches cut yarn and pull through loops twice and weave in.

jessi_9783
03-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Jessi - Awwww!!! I just love the little hat and blanket! They look so soft and adorable and snuggly. Thank you, thank you, thank you for joining in the KAL. Did you mean in your other post that when you were a baby you had many broken bones?? Poor little you!! :(
That's exactly what I meant, Kimmie. I have Osteogenesis Imperfecta aka brittle bones. When I was born 22 years ago, I was crushed. If it was bone it was safe to assume it was broken. My saving grace was that I was born by C-Section because my mom had to have one with my older sister 9 years earlier. Back then most C-Sections were done with a vertical cut. Lord only knows what I would be like if I had to come thru the birth canal. My skull, neck, and spine were the only parts of me not broken.

Heres a pic of me as a baby taken a few months after I was born with my sister, Rin. It's bad but it's the only one I can find on my PC.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/jessi_9783/Family/RinMe.jpg

Here's one taken 22 years later. From L-R, Nora (mom), Me, Rin.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/jessi_9783/Family/NoraJessiRin2.jpg

kimmie
03-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Jessie - I am so touched that you shared your story and your pictures. That is an adorable baby picture and look how beautiful you and your sister and your mom are! And here you are, after all you have gone through, thinking about other little babies and their parents and you are making lovely things for them. I know each stitch is filled with caring and love and that is sooooo special. I feel so honored to be part of this project with you and everybody else.

kimmie
03-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Wow! Kayeknit's and Emily's and Lisa's packages all arrived today!! Everything is so precious. I feel so blessed just to be holding these and knowing what a difference they are going to make in other people's lives.

I'm going to take pictures of the ones that haven't been posted yet, but I probably won't be able to do that until Monday because I have class all weekend and wouldn't you know it, I have a ton of homework that I need to finish up between now and 7 a.m., not to mention I need to grocery shop so that my family can eat while I'm gone. What a concept.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

kimmie

Ellen Edwards
03-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Jessi--just wanted to say HI, and that WOW!! Your mom is SO young looking...I had to check and see who were the sisters and who was the mom!! How long have you been knitting, and do each of you knit? You have a beautiful smile--all of U! :inlove:

Kimmie--I wonder when we need to get this stuff to you at the latest?? I know it must have been discussed, but gosh, this thread is getting LONG , Girl!! :shock:

I'm so pleased so many of you gave your patterns here--I hope I'll be able to write a pattern one day. :thumbsup:

jessi_9783
03-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Jessi--just wanted to say HI, and that WOW!! Your mom is SO young looking...I had to check and see who were the sisters and who was the mom!! How long have you been knitting, and do each of you knit? You have a beautiful smile--all of U! :inlove:
Thanks Ellen! I showed my mom what you wrote and she cracked up. She told me to tell you she is old. She has just turned 52. My sister is 31 and I already mentioned I'm 22. I've been knitting since May 2005 and I'm the only one who knits in my family. It wasn't supposed to be like that either. It was Rin's idea to learn how to knit because she wanted to make herself a poncho. Well I bought us two how-to kits and I started before her because she lives in Texas and I live in Kansas. By the time she got home for a visit, I was knitting up a storm and I tried to teach her but she lost patience and became imtimidated because I was so good at it, her words not mine. Now she says knitting is my thing and she has to find her own thing. I haven't given up on her yet. She's gonna knit whether she wants to or not. I don't take "no" for answer.

I don't know if you all are interested but my mom found this old article (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jessi_9783/detail?.dir=/5675&.dnm=54e1re2.jpg&.src=ph&.tok=phO6OgEBYKeHXIhp) about me when she was looking for my sister's birth certificate. You will probably want to download it so you can zoom in on it.

Barefootmama
03-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Here is the blanket I just finished. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but there were a few mistakes. It's soooo very soft though, my son keeps wanting to feel it. :) I really enjoyed making it and can't wait to send it off. If you could pm me your address I'll get it mailed this next week. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/newmomma/2006_0305knitblanket0073.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/newmomma/2006_0305knitblanket0076.jpg

punkhippiemom
03-05-2006, 06:20 PM
My notifications turned off for this thread for a while :wall: but I am still here and still participating. I made a teeny yellow hat, and am debating whether to make a matching blankie or a small gown :thinking:....
I have also finished a cute lil turquoise hat, and used the baby feet pattern on the bottom corner of a matching blankie... It looks adorable, almost like it was embroidered in rather than knitted... I tried to take a pic of the blankie that showed the effect, but I think I have to wait until tomorrow for some better light. Here's the yellow hat, though...

Cristy
03-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Those items are sooo cute guys!

I just wanted to weigh in that I'm still participating too but have been a little slowed by our recent move. I started another blanket last night and should have it finished by this evening or tomorrow. So far I have 3 blankets and a hat. I really want to post pics but our desktop isn't up...the room used for dh's office doesn't have a data line for our dsl yet and that's where I keep all of the pics....so I 've uploaded them but can't get online to post them! :wall:

I promise to post pics soon...I hope to get my items in the mail the end of the week of the 20th...is that too late?

Ellen Edwards
03-06-2006, 07:30 PM
HI Jessi--thanks for posting the article about you and your mom!! It was really interesting; I'd never heard of this disorder before. Your mom is a very brave Mama---she was up against a lot, wasn't she!! I know you love her so much--but tell her she's NOT old! I'm 56 and I'll be 57 this coming November. We're still "spring chickens"!! You know, I think I am about the oldest one in KnittingHelp.com, though. That's okay, I'm still alive and knitting!! :thumbsup:

By the way, keep the pressure on Rin--she's gotta try knitting again. It'll get her hooked once she learns to do it! :XX:

samm
03-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Well, first of all, Trudy, I'm older than you are!!!!! :happydance: I do want to join in this worthwhile project, but having just found it today, am wondering if I'm too late. I also don't know if somewhere in the thread the address of where to send things might be. Could someone help me? I am only partway through reading this, but could be knitting a little thing or two instead.... ;) hugs to all, from samm

kimmie
03-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Hi Everyone! I know this thread is getting long and I'm thrilled by that, but I know it does make it hard to find the information you want sometimes. If anybody has a suggestion for how to make that part easier, please let me know!

A few people have asked recently when things need to be mailed. I'll be drawing two names on April 4 from everyone who has sent something for the KAL by then. I'll be taking everything over to the hospital probably on the 5th or 6th. That said, if anyone wants to continue doing this, or things arrive after that time, I will absolutely continue bringing things over to the hospital.

When you are ready to mail off items, just pm me for my address and I'll get that to you.

Jessie - thanks for sharing the article about yourself and your family. It is so interesting!

Barefootmama - I love the blanket! It looks so soft and cushy. What a great idea to put a bow on it! As for mistakes, first of all, I don't see any, but I know that the blankets I've made are not perfect. My thought on that is that these are made with love and care and they are not meant to look like something perfectly machine made. These are much more special. The fact that your son keeps wanting to touch it says a LOT!!

Rebecca - what a cute little hat!! The turquoise hat and matching blankie with the baby feet sounds adorable. I can't want to see them!

Cristy - It doesn't sound like the move has slowed you down much if you have made three blankets and a hat already! Wow! I'm looking forward to seeing yours too! Don't worry - I'm sure that everything will get to me by the 4th!

Samm - You're not too late! There is still lots of time. Thanks for joining in!! When you are ready to mail your precious little items, just pm me and I'll send you my address. If the items are to my house by the 4th of April, then your name will be in the drawing for some yummy yarn!

Thanks everyone so much for all you are doing!!

kimmie
03-06-2006, 10:31 PM
I was going to post the pictures of what has come in the mail so far, but I'm having a bit of technical difficulties this evening. I'll get it figured out in the morning. I will say that everything is so beautiful!!!

kimmie

KatyKoolkat
03-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Well, my things are coming along nicely. I have decided to knit as many preemie raglan coats (from the free pattern links here) and matching hats as I can churn out by probably the last week of March.

What is really cool is that I have tried continental knitting, and love it!! I have almost finished my first coat and I started only on Friday!! (usually it takes me at least a week!)

kimmie
03-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Okay! Here are the precious little things that have come in the mail so far. Some of the pictures have already been shown, but I took pictures again anyways! I will say that as beautiful as these are in the pictures, they are even more special in "real life" and I get goosebumps just thinking about how much these will mean to people.

horve1
03-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Everyone's work is so gorgeous!!! I'm impressed. :cheering:
I'm still in on this, too, but have put myself on absolute hold for the past week because I have a cold and will NOT work on these things while there's any chance of passing germs on. (The sweater for my DD got finished, and I'm putting time in on my DS' sweater, however. They can handle it! ;) )

Rennagayle
03-08-2006, 01:49 AM
Like someone before me mentioned, I don't generally read this forum, since I don't consider myself experienced enough yet for KAL's.

I just read through the entire thread, and am so moved by past heartbreaks represented here. :crying:

I am also inspired by the many who have already sent in the adorable little items. I was just today thinking about the possibility of being able to knit for those in need, then lo and behold, I see this thread in a forum I never read. I call that a Godincident. :D

Oh, and I wanted to say to Jessi that you are an inspiration with your cheerful and go-getter attitude, despite the challenges you've faced. It's great to meet you! :D

I haven't yet learned to do booties, but I have made hats, so I'm going to make some of them, as well as some tiny blankets. I have some really soft acryclic sport weight yarn on hand that will be perfect for the project.

God bless you, Kimmie, for taking this idea from conception to fruition! :thumbsup:

kimmie
03-08-2006, 10:39 AM
horve1 - I sure hope that you feel better soon!! I have no idea how long germs hang around on knitted items, but you are so thoughtful not wanting to infect anyone!

Renna - Yay! I'm so glad you found the KAL! Thanks for joining in and you are so right that this is a project that is just right for any stage of knitting experience. Thanks for all of your kind words too.

margie
03-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Here are some booties that I made today- they are for a one pound baby. Sorry about the picture quality!
They seem so impossibly small.............

The pattern is here:
http://www.p2designs.com/pdfs/Denny-JordanSet.pdf

DotMom61
03-08-2006, 03:29 PM

I'm way behind on this thread. So, please forgive me if someone has already addressed this.

I just wanted to say, Margie, that you might be able to contact the pediatric floor to find out who you need to talk with. I'm surprised they couldn't help you in the NICU, but every place is different, I guess.

Anyway, I know that at our hospital, the pediatric floor has a Child Life Center -- a place for kids to play & get educated about what's happening to them. The woman who heads up this area is always receiving items that have been donated for the NICU or PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit). So, if you contact the peds floor & mention "child life specialist" they might be able to get you in contact with someone. Otherwise, you might ask them who handles their Social Work needs, because they might also be able to help.

Cristy
03-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Margie--those are soo itty bitty and cute! I made a 1 lb baby hat and I'm just shocked at how small it is...too big for barbies but too small for a tangerine...maybe it'd fit a walnut or something?? Just wanted to say how adorable those booties are! ;)

beckyrhae
03-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Is it too late to get in on this? I started learning to knit with a knifty knitter, and I made a ton of tiny hats for practice I'd love to send them in.

kimmie
03-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Hi Becky! It is absolutely not too late to join in! I'm doing a drawing on April 4th from the names of everyone who has sent something in at that point. When you are ready to mail your hats, just pm me and I'll give you my address. I can post pictures when I get them because I bet I'm not the only one who is curious about the Knifty Knitter!

Thanks for joining in!

kimmie

kimmie
03-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Margie!! Those little booties are so teeny and cute!!! :heart:

kimmie

beckyrhae
03-09-2006, 06:55 AM
I can post a pic... here is one hat... sorry its so blurry.

I'm going to make more hats, most of the ones I made are ugly yarn hats LOL

DotMom61
03-09-2006, 11:03 AM
OK ...finally go through *MOST* of the thread that I'd missed. Everyone has done such beautiful projects, and I'm continually amazed at the tinyness of them.

I have to say, Jessi, how much admiration I have for you and the obstacles you've overcome! I'm sure that you have been quite an inspiration for your family and friends. The article you posted was fascinating. It says that osteogenesis is hereditary. Do you have others in your family that are affected as well, or is it one of those hidden disorders?

And, definitely, keep plugging away at your big sister!! We need to get her knitting, too! :lol:

ETA: Just realized I never finished the sentence above. It's done now. :oops:

kimmie
03-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks for posting the picture, Becky! The little hat is so cute!! Is your Knifty Knitter faster than hand knitting? I've never seen one in action.

kimmie

beckyrhae
03-09-2006, 01:27 PM
well right now its faster for me... only because I'm slowly teaching myself to knit. I recently found this site and it has helped soooo much! I'm sure I'll be knitting in no time.

beckyrhae
03-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Better pictures of my hats. (more to come, I'm on a roll) :XX:

Yvonne
03-09-2006, 06:30 PM
As usual, my pictures stink, but here is my collection of knitted little things for our project. The hats/bonnets vary in size. Some are really teeny and a few are almost big enough for a full-term baby. It occurred to me that there might sadly be a need for those as well. :(

Ingrid
03-09-2006, 08:21 PM
:shock: :D Wow, you've been busy! How wonderful of you.

Beckyrhae--Your hats remind me of flowers--very cute!

Jan in CA
03-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Dang you guys are prolific! :shock: I've made a hat and am working on a little blanky. I have to take breaks from it though because it's the NEBB and the needles are tiny. :roflhard:

beckyrhae
03-09-2006, 08:45 PM
yvonne, your blankets are beautiful! I love the bonnets! Oh they bring back memories of my Granny crochetting away... :heart:

Ingrid, thank you... they do kinda look like little flowers. :)

kimmie
03-09-2006, 10:04 PM
(more to come, I'm on a roll) :XX:

That made me smile, Becky! You are making great hats and I'm glad you are on a roll!

kimmie

kimmie
03-09-2006, 10:06 PM
WOW Yvonne!! You have been really busy!! What gorgeous bonnets and blankets. Oh my goodness!!! I know I'm using lots and lots of explanation points, but WOW!!! You have made so many lovely things!

kimmie

Lisa1216
03-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Wow...How beautiful everyones things are!! Absolutely wonderful!! :heart:

DotMom61
03-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Dang you guys are prolific! :shock: I've made a hat and am working on a little blanky. I have to take breaks from it though because it's the NEBB and the needles are tiny. :roflhard:

Oh! Look who's talking! Why, it's the same person who just sent me a box full of hats for the kids @ the hospital! ;-) (They're lovely, Jan!)

Jan in CA
03-10-2006, 02:32 PM

Oh! Look who's talking! Why, it's the same person who just sent me a box full of hats for the kids @ the hospital! ;-) (They're lovely, Jan!)

Well, that's true! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

kimmie
03-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Hi Everybody!

I thought I'd show you what I've been working on. The first is still a work in progress. It is the reversible heart pattern that Lisa shared with everyone. It is hard to see the hearts in the picture, but they are there! It is a fun blanket to knit!

The second is just a simple stitch pattern blanket. It's mostly stockinette with a little purl stitch bump pattern. Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to capture the pattern at all with the camera. The camera did put in some weird stripe in the middle that really isn't there...

Thank you so much for all you are doing! You guys are the greatest!!

kimmie

Cristy
03-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Those are nice Kimmie--I just finished a heart blanket myself (from the same pattern)! I'll try to take pics later to share--now that the computer is up, I have no excuse! LOL!

btw--would you like for us to wash these items (in dreft, etc., of course) before sending them? I know that hospitals are generally pretty concerned about animal hair, etc. Let me know, I'll be happy to wash my items and let them dry before sending them out if it'd be helpful. :)

kimmie
03-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Cristy,

That is a great question. I'll put a call in to the woman I'm working with at the hospital and ask her.

kimmie

samm
03-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Too late. I just mailed the little sets to you today, Kim. Can't wash them now! Oh well, do you have a washer? ;) samm

Cristy
03-13-2006, 05:54 PM
just let me know kimmie...I'll was mine before sending if I need to. I'm planning on making one more item before mailing them off.

kimmie
03-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Samm - ha! Yes, I do have a washer :) I am still waiting to find out, but my guess is that since nothing was mentioned about washing things, they must not be too concerned about it. Perhaps they launder everything there anyway?? I'll find out. If it turns out that they prefer them washed in Dreft, then I will absolutely wash everything you wonderful people send.

Ingrid
03-13-2006, 06:09 PM
I would think that they would want to wash everything themselves just to be sure. I know that I would.

punkhippiemom
03-13-2006, 09:02 PM
That was going to be my next question, too.. I was very obsessive about getting all the little animal hairs out (or trying to, anyway :rollseyes: ) but I'll wash them, just in case... that way they'll be twice as clean!! ;)
I posted this on my blog last week I think, but I haven't had a chance to post it here yet, so here ya go... Just for size comparison, the blanket is about 12" square, maybe a bit bigger...

kimmie
03-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Rebecca!!! Oh My Gosh! That set is sooooo special!

KatyKoolkat
03-13-2006, 09:32 PM
At the NICU that I normally donate to, they wash everything themselves because they wash and disinfect them. Maybe that is the same with this hosp?

kimmie
03-13-2006, 09:40 PM
I would think that they would want to wash everything themselves just to be sure. I know that I would.

I'm guessing that this is the case, KatyKoolKat & Ingrid. The bereavement coordinator at the hospital is out until tomorrow, so I'll get an answer then, but I'll bet you are right...it does seem like a policy that a hospital would have.

Cristy
03-14-2006, 07:33 AM
Rebecca--i love that set too--it's beautiful.

Cristy
03-14-2006, 02:35 PM
okay, no more excuses...here are photos of two of the three items I've done so far...I've one more to go...

The blanket is the hearts pattern that Lisa posted a while back and the hat pattern is modified from several basic roll brim patterns. The hat was my first experience with dpns...

Blanket: cotton-tots, size 9 needles

hat: size 3 dpns...lionbrand babysoft

margie
03-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Okay, Cristy- I am not nauseated by the sight of your dpns, but rather your beautiful fingernails!!! :roflhard: Mine are icky right now- you will NOT see any pictures of them on here! :rofling:

The blanket and hat are beautiful!!

Cristy
03-14-2006, 04:12 PM
every time I post pictures, someone comments on my fingernails!!! LOL!! They aren't real...I had them done back in November for the wedding and have kept up with them since then. I know it sounds silly but they make my jewlery pretter and make my hands look slimmer too! LOL! :roflhard:

You guys crack me up! :)

Jan in CA
03-14-2006, 05:13 PM
every time I post pictures, someone comments on my fingernails!!! LOL!! They aren't real...I had them done back in November for the wedding and have kept up with them since then. I know it sounds silly but they make my jewlery pretter and make my hands look slimmer too! LOL! :roflhard:

You guys crack me up! :)

Yep, those acrylics sure are pretty! I've never had them, but my daughters have. ;)

Yvonne
03-14-2006, 07:58 PM
I just sent my box of stuff to you, Kimmie. It went out yesterday and I sent it Priority mail, so it should be there tomorrow or the next day, I'd think.
Thanks for posting this knitalong; I've been so glad to be able to participate.

kimmie
03-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Cristy - the blanket and hat are wonderful!!! I also am impressed by your nails and your hands too. You could be a hand model! Thank you so much for knitting for this project. I know it is going to mean so much!

Yvonne - thank your for letting me know that you sent off your package. I'll let you know as soon as it comes. I cannot thank you enough!

Everybody -I still haven't heard back from the bereavement coordinator about any special washing instructions. I'll call again later in the week, but please don't worry about it. I think she would have mentioned it initially if it was something we needed to do.

Hugs and thanks to everyone!!!

Christina
03-15-2006, 12:04 AM
Hi everyone. I just had to join to tell you all how wonderful it is I think you're doing this. I belong to a wonderful non-profit group called Heavenly Angels in Need (http://www.heavenlyangelsinneed.com/) that does this very thing for hospitals all over the US.

I saw that you guys had questions on washing, so I wanted to share with you some of the information I was given when I joined HAIN.

(This is all paraphrased or cut & paste from the HAIN website.)

All items should be washed before sending them off. Hospitals usually don't wash them. This is especially important for people who are smokers or have indoor pets. Also, for smokers, if the items smell smokey, they won't be given to the babies, so you might want to have a non-smoker friend smell them for you. For washing, use a fragrence-free or baby detergent, like Dreft or All Free, and 1 cup (for a full load, smaller loads use less) white vinegar in the rinse (which will act as a fabric softner, you don't want to use fabric softner or dryer sheets on these.)

And some more info you all might find helpful:

Use only hypo-allegenic materials - no wool for items for viable infants.

Avoid using yellow, especially for gowns (again, for viable infants, which some of these items will be given to.) Yellow makes a baby look jaundice, and therefore possibly have to undergo unnecessary testing. Yellow mixed with other colors is ok for blankets.

Burial gowns should be open all the way up the back.

Good rule of thumb for sizing hats: micro-premie size should fit a tangerine, preemie should fit an orange, and full-term should fit a grapefruit. Of course, these are just guidelines - any hat you make will fit some baby!

I hope I was of some help to you all. Again, this is an awesome thing you guys are doing, and I hope many of you will keep it up for your local hospitals long after this KAL is over. Good luck to you all, and have fun!

Ingrid
03-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Great information! Thanks for sharing. I can attest to the yellow thing now that you mention it. My grandson was a bit jaundiced when he came home, and when he wore his yellow sleeper it looked 10 times worse. Even now we look at pictures and say, "There's Ryan in his jaundice suit."

Thank you for sharing your site with us, too.

Lisa1216
03-15-2006, 09:24 AM
kimmie~ I washed the things I had sent to you, but not with the special baby soaps, so if think they need to be done again, I apologize for not thinking of the special detergents.

Rebecca and Cristy~your things are beautiful!

kimmie
03-15-2006, 10:30 AM
Oh my goodness, Lisa, there is NO need to apologize. I still don't even know what the hospital's policy is. When I hear back from the bereavement coordinator, I will let everyone know what she says. If there is a special way of washing these, never fear, I will most happily and gently wash everything everyone sends. That is one load of laundry that I would feel blessed to be doing (as opposed to practically any other load of laundry!)

The laundry part I can handle for everyone, but there is absolutely no way I could knit all these lovely things that you all are making. The combined effort of everyone is amazing!! When I see all the time and talent and caring that you all are putting in to this, it is so moving to me.

You are all wonderful!!

DotMom61
03-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Well, doggone it. I've had this little gown here for weeks now, and for some reason, I just haven't been able to send it off. It's very sweet, but something about it has been bothering me, and I just realized what it is. The back isn't open. The pattern didn't call for that. I just checked the neckline, and I think it would be a real struggle to get it over even a tiny head. So, I'm going to bequeath it to my DD for one of her little bears or something, and I'll knit something else.

Shoot.

Secksiebrat
03-15-2006, 03:35 PM
I wish I could knitt better! Sheesh. Will you be doing donations like this again? I'm a beginner and know I can't get something nice done before the deadline, but I would love to participate after I've had some more time to practice. Please let me know as I would love ot knitt or even crochette something!

~danielle~

kimmie
03-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Hi Everyone!

Here is the Official Word on Washing ;) from the hospital bereavement coordinator:

There is NO NEED to wash the items. She said that they wash them there.

Also, all the items that have been made, regardless of size, color, slits or not, etc will be so appreciated.

kimmie
03-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Danielle -

I would be honored to continue doing this. The beauty of this project is that the items are tiny and can be as simple or fancy as you like, so I bet you'll be whipping up a tiny blanket sooner than you think!

kimmie
03-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Yvonne!!!!

Your big box arrived and I just opened it. WOWOWOWOWOW!!! Everything is so soft and precious. Once again I find myself feeling so lucky to get to see & touch all the lovely things. As cute as they are in the pictures, they are even more amazing in real life.

The fetal demise blanket that you made turned out way better than mine. I think I'll try it again with yours as a prototype because it's really wonderful! The multi-color pink/blue/yellow blanket is unbelievably soft and cute. What kind of yarn is it?? I also love the lacy pattern around the green blanket and wonder how you did that. AND THE HATS!!! The bitty hats and bonnets are so beautiful.

Thank you for all the work and love you put into these!

kimmie
03-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Hi Everyone!

Here is the Official Word on Washing ;) from the hospital bereavement coordinator:

There is NO NEED to wash the items. She said that they wash them there.

Also, all the items that have been made, regardless of size, color, slits or not, etc will be so appreciated.

I didn't want this info to get lost amongst all my messages on the previous page, so I thought I'd repeat it here so that hopefully everyone will see it.

kayeknit
03-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Kudos to you, Kimmie, for starting all this. And it's so wonderful that so many knitters are playing a part in helping others out, isn't it? :heart:

jhelanee
03-15-2006, 07:45 PM
I am knitting away out here and finally got my hands on a borrowed camera to share my progress:

Yvonne
03-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Kimmie,
Glad the box arrived so quickly. I didn't think about washing everything before I plastered those ribbons all over everything! Aacck. If you have to wash them, just go ahead and remove the ribbons from the blankets. I think the ones on the bonnets will be okay if washed on a delicate cycle.
Re: The lace "edging" on the green blanket is Crest of the Wave, an old lace pattern in the public domain now, I believe. I used it as written in one of Barbara Walker's treasuries. I started by doing a certain number of repeats of that, then for the stockinette part I just kept doing one repeat on each edge, then finished with a strip of all lace across the top, similar to the bottom.
The multicolored yarn was some sort of baby boucle I actually found at Goodwill! i don't think it even had a label, so I'm not sure what brand it was. Nice and soft.
I'm not sure you'll be able to use the yellow blanket and hat because of the color (yellow not preferable I think, and I didn't know that before). Also, they are kind of stiff to me, being acrylic worsted. Maybe they will soften up with washing, but if not that's okay too.
For the fetal demise pouch, I did that plain diagonal dishcloth pattern, but when I got to the small end again I just restarted increasing without cutting the yarn. When the second half was half as big as the first half, I folded it up and added the crocheted edging. If you untie the ribbon you'll see what I did.

KatyKoolkat
03-15-2006, 08:50 PM
I thought since no one replied to this in the help section, I would try here.

Here's (http://www.magknits.com/feb06/patterns/odessa.htm) the pattern I am trying to downsize to preemie size. What I did was use 2.75 needles, and baby weight yarn, as well as casting on only 65 stitches. The repeat didn't turn out quite evenly (have to fudge a few stitches at the end), but now what I am wondering is
1) how high of a hat do I make it-the hat size site I went to said to make the hat 4 inches high including the brim-where do the decreases come in to play? How long should I knit before decreasing? And 2) I would really like to make the hat continue the swirls up into the hat, but how do I decrease so that that happens? Is it possible without a lot of work? I was thinking I could just follow their decreases, starting with row 9, but would that make the hat look weird?
TIA

aylaanne
03-15-2006, 10:07 PM
I thought since no one replied to this in the help section, I would try here.

Here's (http://www.magknits.com/feb06/patterns/odessa.htm) the pattern I am trying to downsize to preemie size. What I did was use 2.75 needles, and baby weight yarn, as well as casting on only 65 stitches. The repeat didn't turn out quite evenly (have to fudge a few stitches at the end), but now what I am wondering is
1) how high of a hat do I make it-the hat size site I went to said to make the hat 4 inches high including the brim-where do the decreases come in to play? How long should I knit before decreasing? And 2) I would really like to make the hat continue the swirls up into the hat, but how do I decrease so that that happens? Is it possible without a lot of work? I was thinking I could just follow their decreases, starting with row 9, but would that make the hat look weird?
TIA
Did you email the author? She might know more about how to adapt it. I wouldn't try reducing the amount of stitches cast on until I know how the pattern really works. As for the size, I'd calculate the number of rows in 4" according to the pattern, and then do that number of rows, or fewer. I just adapted a baby hat pattern to a teenie preemie hat pattern, and that's how I decided when to do the decreases.

HTH.

knitterma
03-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Could someone please post links to patterns for the tiny blankets and hats? I'd really like to help out. Not sure if I missed it, or if the thread is just BIG. :D