PDA

View Full Version : Strangest comments you have received about your knitting?

Pensguys
02-23-2006, 06:10 PM
I was knitting on a sock today. This lady that I know (who I'll admit is NOT known for her BRIGHT comments) says, "So when you finish with this, you actually wear these?"

Ahhhh, yes! :doh:

brendajos
02-23-2006, 06:22 PM
while sitting just about anywhere with needles and yarn in hand...

"You knit?" :rollseyes:

glomper
02-23-2006, 06:27 PM
When seen happily knitting away "but isn't that boring?"

Jenelle
02-23-2006, 06:30 PM

I get that too. I sorta just want to snap back and say, "Nope, I'm just trying to figure out how to put this darned fishing pole together."

HollyP
02-23-2006, 06:45 PM

I get that too. I sorta just want to snap back and say, "Nope, I'm just trying to figure out how to put this darned fishing pole together." :roflhard: :roflhard:

butterflymama
02-23-2006, 06:59 PM
:lol:

Quietheart
02-23-2006, 07:00 PM

I get that too. I sorta just want to snap back and say, "Nope, I'm just trying to figure out how to put this darned fishing pole together."

Here's your sign!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Jan in CA
02-23-2006, 07:10 PM

Here's your sign!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

:roflhard: :roflhard: I love Jeff Foxworthy!

I haven't knit much in public yet so no dumb comments...I'll write them down if I get one! :roflhard:

Ingrid
02-23-2006, 07:20 PM
"My aunt crochets."

Soooooooo. . . . .

Pensguys
02-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Ya'll are too funny!!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

When I told my dh about the sock comment, he said "No, I'm knitting it for the airport for a windsock!" :rofling: :rofling:

karmamonkey
02-23-2006, 07:39 PM
I haven't gotten any dumb comments yet, but this lady asked me if she could feel what I was knitting once. :thinking:

HeatherFeather
02-23-2006, 07:56 PM
That feeling thing has me TERRIFIED to take my christening gown out in public to knit!!! I've had my work fondled before, but it didn't matter before.

Andrea
02-23-2006, 07:56 PM
At Border's, I got "You must not have any kids at home"

Now, I don't, but what kind of stupid comment is that? Like a mom can't have a break?? :rollseyes:

Indygirl
02-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Why do you knit socks? Wouldn't it be easier to just go buy them? :rollseyes:
Some people never get it :?

Ingrid
02-23-2006, 08:06 PM
"Did you make the sweater you're wearing?"

Grinning, "Yes, I did."

"You did not."

Andrea
02-23-2006, 08:12 PM

Grinning, "Yes, I did."

"You did not."
:rollseyes: Why do they even ask??

Ingrid
02-23-2006, 08:15 PM

Grinning, "Yes, I did."

"You did not."

These are from students who know I knit. They ask me about every single sweater I wear, even ones from Lands End that are made from the thinnest thread.

I've also gotten the response, "No f***in' way!" and "Bulls**t!"

It's just their way of showing appreciation for beauty. :roflhard: :roflhard:

Andrea
02-23-2006, 08:18 PM

Grinning, "Yes, I did."

"You did not."

I've also gotten the response, "No f***in' way!" and "Bulls**t!"

It's just their way of showing appreciation for beauty. :roflhard: :roflhard:
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

CateKnits
02-23-2006, 08:20 PM
They're in awe of your f***ing awesomeness, Ingrid. :D

Ingrid
02-23-2006, 08:22 PM

D*mned straight, b*tch!! :thumbsup:

Jillle
02-23-2006, 08:31 PM
While knitting at the hair salon (waiting for my highlights to develop ;) ) "Oh, you can come answer the phones here anytime!" By the receptionist, with a pittying look on her face.

Ummm, excuse me???!!! Duma@@!

BinkyKat
02-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Passerby: "Boy, aren't you a little young to be knitting like a grandma?"
Me (in my head) "I'm freakin' 36! I'm not so young, and not old!"
(out loud) "Nah, I'm knitting because of my grandma!"

;)

knitqueen
02-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Okay, this isn't really something someone SAID, but still....

I was sitting in a hospital lobby, waiting to be picked up a few months ago. Naturally, I had brought my knitting along. There was a dad sitting there also, with a little girl probably aged 4 or 5. She was very fascinated and kept watching what I was doing. Also, on the coffee table there in the lobby was a basket of knitting stuff, with a note that it was there for people to knit squares for blankets....ya know, knit a few rows, then leave it for the next person. So there was some knitting on a needle, probably only 6 rows or so, and this little girl picks it up. First she just held it, then she would look at what I was doing, then try to wrap the yarn around herself, etc. (by the way, the second needle was missing in action.... :thinking: ). At first it was cute, THEN as they were getting ready to leave, the dad takes it away from her and he starts to slip stitches off the needle :shock: :shock: :shock: . Then he proceeds to make little loops and put the loops on the needle, as though he knows what he's doing :doh: . Let me tell you, I was CRINGING inside but figured that since it was only 6 rows of mediocre knitting that I wouldn't say anything, but really, WHAT are people thinking sometimes????? :fingerwag:

brendajos
02-23-2006, 09:17 PM
While knitting at the hair salon (waiting for my highlights to develop ;) ) "Oh, you can come answer the phones here anytime!" By the receptionist, with a pittying look on her face.

okay i don't even understand the point of that! :??

feministmama
02-23-2006, 10:15 PM

;)

OH yeah! THat is the right answer :thumbsup:

feministmama
02-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Oh yeah I forgot to add my story. OK so I work in a computer lab on campus. Basically I sit behind a desk and knit while folks use the computers. I put more paper in the printer and help folks out when they need it. SO I'm sitting at my desk and I get lots of stares, occasional smiles and mostly a lot of "I wish I could do that but I don't have any patience." I'm thinking knitting will give you patience. I had just finished my long blue hiking scarf and it was sitting onthe desk and this woman came up and put the scarf on and played with it! Some people. Anyway, today this girl came up and was commenting and said she knits and would love to knit a regular ole beanie hat. SO I clicked over to knittingpatterncentral and found a beanie pattern adn printed it out for her on the spot. She was so happy. So sometimes comments can be OK. :heart:

aylaanne
02-23-2006, 11:30 PM
At Border's, I got "You must not have any kids at home"

Now, I don't, but what kind of stupid comment is that? Like a mom can't have a break?? :rollseyes:
That's really rude. I can't believe someone said that to you. Obviously, they didn't have any parents at home to teach them manners. :doh: I hate it when people make rude comments about my state of motherhood or lack thereof.

It's off-topic, but I'm planning on having children soon after I get married. I'm 25, it's something I've wanted to do for my entire life, and that's that. And I get the stupidest comments from people about THAT, too. "You'll change your mind about how many you want after you have them" "Once you have kids, you can't go out anymore!" "You should travel first!"

People, I don't want to travel, nor do I want to go out. I want to stay at home and knit (or try to knit, as is sometimes the case). I am pretty aware of what it takes to have children, I've done way more research on childrearing, child psychology, parenting, pregnancy, and childbirth than you probably thought possible, and oh, my kids will have better manners than, say, you. :rollseyes:

So I'm going to get stupid comments about my knitting, too? Gah!

aprildavis99
02-23-2006, 11:40 PM
I took my DD's sweater that I had just started from the bottom and working on cirs to work. I only had about 2 inches done when someone asked me,
Are you making a steering wheel cover? :doh:

BinkyKat
02-24-2006, 12:01 AM
Hey Femi... perhaps you could knit a pair of tighty whities and see how may people will eagerly try those on! :roflhard:

Jillle
02-24-2006, 12:04 AM
brendajos
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:17 pm Post subject:
Jillle wrote:
While knitting at the hair salon (waiting for my highlights to develop Wink ) "Oh, you can come answer the phones here anytime!" By the receptionist, with a pittying look on her face.

okay i don't even understand the point of that! Scratching Head

I think what she meant was "Oh honey, if you are that sad and bored that you have to resort to knitting...you can come in here and do something useful like answer our phones!"

dustinac
02-24-2006, 12:04 AM
When you are working on something that has loose ends through it cause of change of color or change of skeins and you get... But what about those hangy strings won't that make the whole thing come apart.. :doh: its called weaving them in..... :lol:

geekgolightly
02-24-2006, 12:26 AM
a woman i work with told me that i shouldnt knit " because knitting makes you look older"

:??

my response to her was to ignore her and continue :XX:

BinkyKat
02-24-2006, 12:42 AM
a woman i work with told me that i shouldnt knit " because knitting makes you look older"

So does being a total boob!
gawd, some people! :rollseyes:

punkhippiemom
02-24-2006, 12:52 AM
mostly a lot of "I wish I could do that but I don't have any patience." I'm thinking knitting will give you patience.
OMG, Femmy, how true!!! I never thought I would have the patience to knit the way I do.... :XX:
Thank goodness, no one's really said anything odd or ill-mannered to me about my knitting... well, DH calls me 'Grandma' sometimes , but I either smile sweetly and say I'm sure I will be, someday... or remind him of all the things I do that most definitely are not granny-ish.... :eyebrow: :blush: [/quote]

KellyK
02-24-2006, 08:41 AM
SO many people just dont GET IT. When I get the dumb comments about patience, I tell them how meditative knitting can be. Most people I run into are simply interested.

That story about the little girl is ADORABLE. (Except the part where her father slipped the sts. WHY?!?!) My niece and my Bro's GF's DD are both TRANSFIXED when I knit, so I let them "help" me.....I stick the needle in the stitch and let them wrap the yarn. They LOVE it! DB'sGF'sDD did that with me for half an hour the last time I saw her! I thought that was quite an attention span for an almost-5 year old...

Lana
02-24-2006, 09:05 AM
That feeling thing has me TERRIFIED to take my christening gown out in public to knit!!! I've had my work fondled before, but it didn't matter before.

I had a commissioned project once that was pale aqua baby yarn, which the reciever had purchased.
I was paranoid about anyone with dirty hands touching it.
I kept it in a pillow case, and work at the opening so I could quick stash it.
I also carried wipes with me to make sure my own hands were never dirty or oily.

I do not work like that with my own stuff.

knitncook
02-24-2006, 11:26 AM
It's off-topic, but I'm planning on having children soon after I get married. I'm 25, it's something I've wanted to do for my entire life, and that's that. And I get the stupidest comments from people about THAT, too. "You'll change your mind about how many you want after you have them" "Once you have kids, you can't go out anymore!" "You should travel first!"

Hmmm. I have three kids, we travel, never regretted having them (although because of health reasons we did stop at 3 instead of having 4 like we had planned), and I have time to knit.

The stupid comment I get all the time is, "Wow, you knit? But it's so hard!" To which I always think, "Yes I knit. And knitting isn't hard. Getting a dog to dress like a turkey is hard. Knitting is just pulling loops through other loops!" (Or whatever the "is hard" quote of the month is!) :D

quirky
02-24-2006, 11:46 AM

Omg too funny! :roflhard:

Botox or yarn, botox or yarn....hmmm :thinking:

Vendie
02-24-2006, 11:50 AM
I don't get so many comments anymore, b/c I don't have too many opportunities to knit outside of work and at home. But I tell you, I got lots of weird comments and looks when I was telling people about going to visit an alpaca farm (from "why do people have alpacas?" to "do they taste good?" :shock: what? eat an alpaca???)

Mostly everyone at work understands my obsession and just thinks it's cute that I get so excited about it. And when people visit my cubicle and see the Hello Yarn wallpaper I have on my computer (little balls of dyed roving), I get a lot of, "well why am I not surprised to see that as your wallpaper?"

Lately I've been getting a lot of "oh you knit? So do I!" Which is ALWAYS welcomed!

brendajos
02-24-2006, 12:12 PM
ooooooh i have Hello Yarn wallpaper on all but my newest computer (cuz it is only 3 days old!) I want her to put up new ones!!

countingsheep
02-24-2006, 12:28 PM
"Oh, my gosh, are you pregnant?"

:shock: WHAT!!!!! :shock: "Are you kidding me? NO! I am not pregnant! Why would you ask me that?"

"Well.... you're knitting. The only person I've ever seen knit is Wilma Flintstone and she knits when she's pregnant."

:shock: I had so many issues with that whole statement that I could only stare at the woman. I'm very much afraid that she was serious. That was probably the very worst knitting comment I've ever gotten.

Ang

minkrsa
02-24-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't know dumb comments, but everytime I'm knitting something (especially when I'm doing trianglestole or something like that) , my husband asks: Are you doing pants? :doh: :heart:

countingsheep
02-24-2006, 12:39 PM
:?? Pants?

1to1
02-24-2006, 01:03 PM
I don't understand the comment

"I wish I had time to knit."

:rollseyes: This is while they are at a weekend basketball tournament, (plenty of time during the games and in between the games), or
while sitting at their daughter's dance class, or
while sitting at the kids practices, or
while sitting drinking coffee with friends. :rollseyes:

I knit everywhere. :happydance: I think I knit more out in public than I do at home.

meg
02-24-2006, 02:56 PM
a rude person looking at a cable knit sweater i made for my nephew:

omg! you actually made this? WHY?

KellyK
02-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Getting a dog to dress like a turkey is hard. Knitting is just pulling loops through other loops!" (Or whatever the "is hard" quote of the month is!) :D

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Alrighty...in your honor....

2girlsmom
02-24-2006, 03:44 PM
My favorite was my ditzy cousin calling me a grandma. :rollseyes:

IMO, knitting (and crocheting) are kinda "lost arts"... people just go and buy things. I love that more people are knitting and crocheting--and I can't wait to pass it on to my little girl when she's older. Besides, it's so cool to see some yarn turn into something :happydance:

2girlsmom
02-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Getting a dog to dress like a turkey is hard. Knitting is just pulling loops through other loops!" (Or whatever the "is hard" quote of the month is!) :D

:roflhard: I'm dying over here!

brendajos
02-24-2006, 03:53 PM
My favorite was my ditzy cousin calling me a grandma. :rollseyes:

IMO, knitting (and crocheting) are kinda "lost arts"... people just go and buy things. I love that more people are knitting and crocheting--and I can't wait to pass it on to my little girl when she's older. Besides, it's so cool to see some yarn turn into something :happydance:

yup..."give me a string and some sticks and i can make some mittens! what can YOU do!" hmph! :thumbsup:

most of my friends just tease light-heartedly.....one of my best friends calls me "KNITTER" when i am being mean to him, in the same way i call him ACCOUNTANT when he is being mean to me! :rofling: ....when we are reeeeeeeeeeeally being mean we call each other MOR :rofling: (mean ol' republican!) :rofling:

sachis2112
02-24-2006, 04:20 PM
I was speaking with a guy in my office last night before leaving, just checking in and seeing how things are. The topic of stress relief came up and I told him I knit, crochet and sew to relieve stress.

He told me that, about 3 months before his wife got pregnant, she took up knitting. He said he looked at her and said, "What? Are you nesting?"

:doh: :doh:

Pensguys
02-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Yes! I homeschool my boys so the lady yesterday that asked if I would actually WEAR the socks I'm knitting says "Where do you find the time with homeschooling and all?"

WELL...........I'm obviously sitting there at homeschool PE while the boys are in their class and KNITTING! I told her I do it at night mostly (which is true) but I take it with me anywhere....and I forgot to say that!

Aello
02-24-2006, 06:03 PM
I am enjoying reading this thread. I can't believe how terrible some people can be.
I moslty get that I am too young to knit. I usually just stare at the person for afew minutes, say "ok" and continue what I was doing. Once my dad asked me to take a two hour drive with him to go check out a car that was for sale. I sat in the car knitting while he was talking to the salesman. By the time we left, all the sales people in the place were demanding (hopefully jokingly lol) that I knit them a sweater by the next weekend (when dad was supposed to return to pick up the car) But still I felt like a carnival freak show, most had to come by to see the chick in the car knitting. Usually when we go car shopping I'm the one handling the salespeople and working out the deals. Just wasn't in the mood that time i guess.

Pensguys
02-24-2006, 06:08 PM
I absolutely HATE to hear the "you're too young" to be knitting....a lady at my church told me once that her husband doesn't want her taking her knitting out in public because only grandmother's knit.....He needs to get a LIFE!!!!!!!!

quirky
02-24-2006, 06:13 PM
He needs to get a LIFE!!!!!

He needs to learn to knit!! :lol:

tmorris6654
02-24-2006, 06:31 PM
someone asked me how long does it take to knit a project. I am a regular smart aleck, adn this person does not care about this, so I told them "as long as it takes".

Darhain
02-24-2006, 07:19 PM

D*mned straight, b*tch!! :thumbsup:

OMG, Ingrid! I just snorted my drink through my nose!

VickiIL
02-24-2006, 08:07 PM
"My aunt crochets."

Soooooooo. . . . .

:roflhard: I've heard this one too. Why they feel this important to share is beyond me...

VickiIL
02-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Yes! I homeschool my boys so the lady yesterday that asked if I would actually WEAR the socks I'm knitting says "Where do you find the time with homeschooling and all?"

WELL...........I'm obviously sitting there at homeschool PE while the boys are in their class and KNITTING! I told her I do it at night mostly (which is true) but I take it with me anywhere....and I forgot to say that!

Why do people believe that if you homeschool there must not be time for ANYTHING elses in your life?

knitncook
02-24-2006, 08:58 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Kelly you are so easily influenced! I love your sig lines. We "use" them all the time. "Putting flea medicine on a cat's back is hard. Knitting is just pulling loops through other loops!" "Remember I am on a diet is hard....." "Potty training my autistic son is hard...."

Pensguys
02-24-2006, 09:18 PM

Why do people believe that if you homeschool there must not be time for ANYTHING elses in your life?

Well, the silly thing about THAT is that SHE homeschools too!!!!!!!!! And HER MOTHER does all the cooking and cleaning at her house! SHE should have time to knit! Her 3 kids are involved in EVERYTHING under the sun so SHE needs take up knitting so she has something to do while she is waiting at her kids' activities!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-24-2006, 11:07 PM
Two from me:

"Oh you knit? I shoul dget you to knit me a sweater!!!" Uhh, no lady you need to "get" yourself some money to PAY ME for the sweater. :wall:

"What are you making? Oh... you purl wierd"
--said by none other than KK on our first get together last may :rollseyes:

punkhippiemom
02-24-2006, 11:33 PM
:roflhard:
Ah ha... KK is guilty of bad knitting manners!!!
But take it easy on her, she's new yet ;) :lol: :rofling:

Pensguys
02-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Well, tonight, I was waiting my turn to get a manicure and I was knitting (of course). The lady sitting next to me recognized me from where we used to go to the same gym. I got the "What are you making? How do you have the patience to do that?" And I was thinking "I really DON'T have patience to answer STUPID questions" :thinking: but I was nice....I said "Actually, it is really relaxing."

AidanM
02-24-2006, 11:39 PM
"What's that?!" and they always act so glum when I say "It's a washcloth." or "A beanie." or I'm crocheting an afghan. What the he// do you people want from me?! A cabled cozy for the Chrysler building?!

Jan in CA
02-25-2006, 03:12 AM
A cabled cozy for the Chrysler building?!

:shock: Now there's a long term project! :shock: :roflhard:

AidanM
02-25-2006, 03:13 AM
But seriously! They act like I'm supposed to be solving the world's problems while I work or something!

punkhippiemom
02-25-2006, 12:59 PM
:rofling:
I've gotten that too but I just laugh at it - why'd you ask, then?? What would have possibly been more interesting than a baby blanket or a sock?? To me, those are impressive enough ;)

I will say, the nicest comment I got about knitting was when I took DS to the craft store to get him his knobby knitter for his bday - and older lady saw me trying to corral them into just picking a color already :rollseyes: and instead of asking me immediately what I was making for him, she asked me if he knit. :D Don't know why, but that just tickled me... :thumbsup:

Lana
02-25-2006, 02:34 PM
I seldom knit in public anymore (it requires to much concentration now) but I remember some years back, knitting in an examination room, waiting for DH's doctor.
He waltzed in, looking at my funny, and asked, "What are you doing?" :doh:
THIS, form an educated person.
I replied, "Knitting." "Can't you but that stuff in stores?"
Very dry come back from me without looking back up at him......."I suppose you could."

But my favorite DUMB comment came from a teacher at the Jr High where DH taught.
It was at a baby shower for the wife of a friend and colleague. I had knit a sweater and bonnet for her. As things were winding down and guests were leaving, she was thanking me again as she looked at the set and this gal walked over and remarked, "I bet you whipped that up over night."
Blank stare form me with "Are you that stupid?" written all over my face, I'm sure. "No, it took a little longer."

After she walked away the mom to be (who did not knit, but did quilting) and I just looked at each other and chuckled quietly.

Kid Showbiz
02-25-2006, 02:55 PM
A little exposition on this story...

I'm a theatre major. We're a conservatory and have a very close-knit department, so everyone knows everything about everyone else. We have a few alchoholics, a heroin addict, some 19 year old girls who only date guys in their forties, and a guy who only likes guys with leather and chains.

This is what I get while knitting backstage during a show.

"You're knitting? That's weird!"

Ahem...

brendajos
02-25-2006, 03:07 PM
:rofling:

KNITBIT
02-25-2006, 03:50 PM
A little exposition on this story...

I'm a theatre major. We're a conservatory and have a very close-knit department, so everyone knows everything about everyone else. We have a few alchoholics, a heroin addict, some 19 year old girls who only date guys in their forties, and a guy who only likes guys with leather and chains.

This is what I get while knitting backstage during a show.

"You're knitting? That's weird!"

Ahem...

:shock: :roflhard:

KNITBIT :XX:

OTN: Socks!

samm
02-25-2006, 05:39 PM

;)

Perfect answer! :D samm who also knits because of two grandmothers and a mother.

Celine
02-25-2006, 07:14 PM
I haven't knit in public ...yet. But when I do if I get any crazy comments I'll be sure and let you all know. :XX: :XX:

Andrea
02-25-2006, 07:15 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

VictoiseC
02-25-2006, 07:33 PM
This is so funny.

A cabled cozy for the Chrysler building?! Love that!!!!

And KidShowbiz..... ha ha ha very good one, people :shock:

I've had the usual but funny, when they are supposed "friends" it tends to hurt a little. Well, maybe they weren't such great friends coz we haven't seen each other for a long time. Two of my used-to-be friends
when I told them how happy & excited I was to be knitting! One said (a woman) 'Oh have you got a rocking chair too?'
and the other (a guy) Did you get some bifocals & a rocking chair to go along with it?" ????

But a new one (rude comment) just happened the other day. I've been working really hard on this beautiful bulky vest for my DH. First time I ever made a vest, first time I cabled. PUtting in stripes of gorgeous gorgeous wool..... finally finished and OH SO PROUD!!! and I brought it out to show this 'friend' of ours and he sort of gasped and said
"Whydon't you hang some bobbles on the bottom" And starting laughing. WHAT THE HELL? Well, important thing is The DH LOVES IT and so do I.

Pensguys
02-25-2006, 07:37 PM
I've had the usual but funny, when they are supposed "friends" it tends to hurt a little. Well, maybe they weren't such great friends coz we haven't seen each other for a long time. Two of my used-to-be friends
when I told them how happy & excited I was to be knitting! One said (a woman) 'Oh have you got a rocking chair too?'
and the other (a guy) Did you get some bifocals & a rocking chair to go along with it?" ????

But a new one (rude comment) just happened the other day. I've been working really hard on this beautiful bulky vest for my DH. First time I ever made a vest, first time I cabled. PUtting in stripes of gorgeous gorgeous wool..... finally finished and OH SO PROUD!!! and I brought it out to show this 'friend' of ours and he sort of gasped and said
"Whydon't you hang some bobbles on the bottom" And starting laughing. WHAT THE HELL? Well, important thing is The DH LOVES IT and so do I.

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Ingrid
02-25-2006, 07:38 PM
I seriously hope you hung some bobbles on HIM! Jerk. As long as you and dh like it, then that's all that counts. I don't recall seeing it in the FO's or your blog, though. :thinking: It MUST be that I missed it, hmmmmmm?

bjc1050
02-25-2006, 08:31 PM

I've BEEN a receptionist and switchboard operator. There's NO TIME to knit :!:

KatyKoolkat
02-26-2006, 05:07 AM
The only dumb comment I have received is from the mom I nanny for (long story, but she is a sahm, and has hired me to work for her full time!).

I had been working on this (http://www.sirdar.co.uk/) (You may have to go to collections on the left, enter number 4344 in the search box that pops up to see it) for SIX months....basically a cardigan with st st squares that have moss stitch hearts in them--very time consuming pattern.

Anyway, they all loved it, and then on the weekend she comes up to me, hands me a twenty, says thanks, and then 'you don't have to, you know'

What else am I supposed to do? I enjoy it, and isn't the point to share it and be ABLE to knit for others?

Katy

KnuttyKnitter
02-26-2006, 12:44 PM
I hate it when you are just knitting away and someone comes up and says "Can I Try?" :doh: [/b]

Jan in CA
02-26-2006, 01:43 PM
(long story, but she is a sahm, and has hired me to work for her full time!).

:shock:

Anyway, they all loved it, and then on the weekend she comes up to me, hands me a twenty, says thanks, and then 'you don't have to, you know'

What else am I supposed to do? I enjoy it, and isn't the point to share it and be ABLE to knit for others?

You were knitting for her child? What was the $20 for? That's goofy!

KatyKoolkat
02-26-2006, 02:19 PM
the 20 was for the knitting!! She didn't want me to feel like I had to, or that it was unnoticed, I guess. Maybe cost of yarn?

I didn't really understand either!!
g

Jan in CA
02-26-2006, 02:52 PM
the 20 was for the knitting!! She didn't want me to feel like I had to, or that it was unnoticed, I guess. Maybe cost of yarn?

I didn't really understand either!!
g

This is wrong on so many levels....personally I would take the $20 as a slap in the face. :rollseyes:

VictoiseC
02-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Katy....I wonder what the amount just for the yarn for that sweater was!
$20 wow

Ha, hang some bobbles on him...... ha ha ha good one Ingrid!

I have decided since that comment NOT to knit this guy the socks he wanted me to knit him...... plus he was aghast! I wanted to knit his socks in WOOL! :shock: DUH. He said 'how would I be able to wear wool socks, they'd be way too HOT! I WANT COTTON! Hey, this is a pretty dumb comment too now that I think about it.... So, I'm NOT KNITTING THE GUY the socks. I don't feel like knitting cotton socks Size 11 anyhow.

I just finished the vest (again) coz I lengthened it yesterday.... will post a pic later today, thanks for asking! :D

Ingrid
02-26-2006, 03:21 PM
No socks for that guy!! No way, no how!! :evil:

Jenelle
02-26-2006, 03:40 PM
I was sitting here about three days ago knitting at the computer(I usually do), and my mom walks up the stairs, and asks, "Jenelle where's your rocking chair?"

Urg!! :mad:

MsShelle
02-26-2006, 08:45 PM
People are always asking me to knit something for them. I usually offer to teach them how to knit. The most common response I get is: Oh, I don't have time to knit! My sister actually said, "I don't have free time like you do to knit!"

Excuse me, let me tell you my life please!
Four daughters
Two Dogs
6 college classes
Volunteer Work
Victims Advocate Training
Therapy sessions for my twins
Homework
Housework
And ocassionally, I find time for sex.

If I can find time to knit, so could she..LOL

AidanM
02-26-2006, 08:47 PM
People are always asking me to knit something for them. I usually offer to teach them how to knit. The most common response I get is: Oh, I don't have time to knit! My sister actually said, "I don't have free time like you do to knit!"

Excuse me, let me tell you my life please!
Four daughters
Two Dogs
6 college classes
Volunteer Work
Homework
Housework

I HATE when people say that sort of thing!! It's like my time is somehow worth less than theirs?! People don't seem to realize how much of the time we do our work while we're doing other things. I for one often work on blankets and such at home while watching TV or waiting for cakes to bake. Many many MANY times I've started and finished projects at school during classes because I don't need to take notes.

countingsheep
02-27-2006, 08:31 AM
:roflhard: Excuse me, let me tell you my life please!
Four daughters
Two Dogs
6 college classes
Volunteer Work
Homework
Housework

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Oh, come on, you know that you lead just the exact same life as me! It really goes something like this:

Wake up around 9 and find that the Coffee Fairy left you a fresh cup by the bed.
Go to the kitchen and find that the Dish Fairy got last night's dishes.
Go to the kids rooms and find that they are keeping them spotless and made their own beds!
Head out for a manicure/massage/haircut/shopping at around 11.
Home in time for soap operas and bonbons at around 12:30.
Knit the afternoon away because the house is always kept clean by the Cleaning Fairies.
Warmly greet kids after shcool and enjoy their company because you don't have to drive them anywhere, help with a "last minute project" or wash some particular outfit for school the next day.
After the kids go to bed at 8:30 (without complaint!) have a wild and crazy night of passion with your adoring hubby who brough home flowers, chocholate and wine.
Then you fall asleep at a reasonable hour with a smile on your face and looking forward to doing it all again tomorrow!

Come one, admit it! You KNOW that's the life all knitters live! I mean, we knit.... doesn't that mean that we live a life of luxury and ease and we knit because we have nothing better to do? Really people, why else would one knit? I think that you are all being quite dramatic and obviously, if you have time to knit.... you must not be very busy!

Now, I think that I shall go see what the Grocery Fairy has left for me! I wonder if she remembered to get eclaires?

Ang

Lana
02-27-2006, 08:44 AM

Oh, come on, you know that you lead just the exact same life as me! It really goes something like this:

Wake up around 9 and find that the Coffee Fairy left you a fresh cup by the bed.
Go to the kids rooms and find that they are keeping them spotless and made their own beds!
Knit the afternoon away because the house is always kept clean by the Cleaning Fairies.
Warmly greet kids after shcool and enjoy their company because you don't have to drive them anywhere, help with a "last minute project" or wash some particular outfit for school the next day.
After the kids go to bed at 8:30 (without complaint!) have a wild and crazy night of passion with your adoring hubby who brough home flowers, chocholate and wine.
Then you fall asleep at a reasonable hour with a smile on your face and looking forward to doing it all again tomorrow!

Come one, admit it! You KNOW that's the life all knitters live! I mean, we knit.... doesn't that mean that we live a life of luxury and ease and we knit because we have nothing better to do? Really people, why else would one knit? I think that you are all being quite dramatic and obviously, if you have time to knit.... you must not be very busy!

Now, I think that I shall go see what the Grocery Fairy has left for me! I wonder if she remembered to get eclaires?

Ang
:rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:

njknitter
02-27-2006, 11:12 AM
OK...I'm resolved to go out and knit more in public just to provoke some of these comments! Too funny :roflhard: - I can certainly handle some of the obnoxious comments thanks to all the great come-backs you guys came up with!!

Jax3303
02-27-2006, 11:33 AM
I've been lucky with comments on my knitting. I've never gotten a negative/dumb comment. But all the time, my mom, sisters and cousins, each time they see me knit or see something I've knitted that say "WOW, jackie, how the He!! do you find the time to do this!?!?! it's Beautiful!" it really makes me feel great to see my work get such praise.

feministmama
02-27-2006, 11:42 AM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: I want this on a t-shirt!

Pixywhispers
02-27-2006, 12:31 PM

Ang,

Thanks for setting up my latest fantasy.

You forgot to add what the UPS guy left at the door wasn't it a huge sample box of the latest Knitpicks yarn, and didn't DH (SO) pick up some alpaca and a new set of Denises? Heh!

Shhh, let me dream a while.

Oh yeah, thats it baby.

Pensguys
02-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Its nice to get oohs and aaahs from friends. Two friends of mine at church ooh and aah all the time at me....it is those that are obnoxious about it that I want to poke in the eyes with my dpns! SIZE 1! LOL :roflhard:

knit-a-holic
02-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Aah. The typical question when someone finds out you know how to knit. I am actually in the process of knitting my friend a hat for his birthday in March (which is March 1st). I would say no, but he's a good friend, so of course I would knit him a hat. :lol: Took me about 5-6 times though. :thinking: I should've measured his head first. So next time someone asks you to knit them a hat or anything else, make sure you get their measurements! Doh! :XX:

KnuttyKnitter
02-27-2006, 05:01 PM
I Know!!! I hate it when you are knitting and someone asks you to teach them, make them something, or "Can I try?" :wall:

roxtarchic
02-27-2006, 05:17 PM
like jaxx... i've pretty much only rec'd "positive" comments... and i knit on the train during my daily commute (both ways)... a week or two ago a nice woman had a couple of questions... and i didnt mind (it wasnt the am and i had already had my coffee quota for the day) answering... AND i just saw her on the train again the other day... WITH needles & yarn (and a couple more questions)... she'd gotta thru a couple of rows before we got to her stop....

oh now that i think about it... the guys who were sitting across from us had a couple of comments, "what happens if you break the string"... i told him i'd only done that in a fit of rage... once (it was actually twice) and you just tie it back together and keep goin.....

knithappens
02-28-2006, 05:38 AM
I wear a pair of mittens all the time that I knit out of some cheap, multi-colored acrylic yarn.... and the other day I had someone in awe ask me, "How on Earth do you knit with all those colors and get it to look that way???"
I tried not to laugh, but couldn't help it.

:D

KellyK
02-28-2006, 08:47 AM
OMG, she doesnt just PURL weird.....you all should SEE The way she holds her needles! Between her pointer and middle finger. And, her hands get so tense that her knuckles are WHITE! :shock: I wasnt trying to be RUDE, I am sincerely worried about her circulatory system!! :(

You TOTALLY forgot the part about putting on your Donna Reed dress and full makeup at 10:30, and setting your hair in curlers before falling asleep!!! :roflhard:

Really, folks, I think the general publiK (like Ron White) just needs some knitting education! And THEN, if they cant join you, BEAT THEM! ;)

CateKnits
02-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Oh! I just got one yesterday when I stopped by work at home. One of the pharmacists has a daughter who just started college. The daughter crochets and all her roommates knit. I mentioned that my roommate knits and people tease about it, especially since we're always baking things, too. So then she says, "you're not very progressive women, are you?" I kind of laughed with her and then thought about it later in the car. What's not progressive about creating something for your own enjoyment out of practically nothing? What's not progressive about doing something for yourself instead of going out and buying it?

CarmenIbanez
02-28-2006, 01:11 PM
I don't understand the comment

:rollseyes: This is while they are at a weekend basketball tournament, (plenty of time during the games and in between the games), or
while sitting at their daughter's dance class, or
while sitting at the kids practices, or
while sitting drinking coffee with friends. :rollseyes:

I knit everywhere. :happydance: I think I knit more out in public than I do at home.

I HATE this one. The moms at the school where I teach say things like this. As if to say 'you obviously do not do enough in your life if you have time to knit'.

brendajos
02-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Oh! I just got one yesterday when I stopped by work at home. One of the pharmacists has a daughter who just started college. The daughter crochets and all her roommates knit. I mentioned that my roommate knits and people tease about it, especially since we're always baking things, too. So then she says, "you're not very progressive women, are you?" I kind of laughed with her and then thought about it later in the car. What's not progressive about creating something for your own enjoyment out of practically nothing? What's not progressive about doing something for yourself instead of going out and buying it?

okay that would have made me go off and it would have turned into some ugly political rant! :rofling:

CateKnits
02-28-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm pretty timid, so I didn't bother. Besides, she wasn't trying to be nasty or start anything. She's one of those people that's just sometimes insulting without realizing it. She's not worth fighting with, either.

AidanM
03-01-2006, 12:13 AM
What's not progressive is saying that a woman HAS to do something - Whether it be getting a career or staying home. Truly progressive people are all about letting people CHOOSE what path their life should take - Career Woman, Wife and Mother, or Both.

sfavereau
03-01-2006, 12:59 AM
What's not progressive is saying that a woman HAS to do something - Whether it be getting a career or staying home. Truly progressive people are all about letting people CHOOSE what path their life should take - Career Woman, Wife and Mother, or Both.

Well said, Aidan! I used to be a "career woman" up until Oct of last year. I hated every single second of it. I was the sole network administrator for a regional office and a lot got dumped on me. DH works from home as freelance 3d modeler/graphic artist and together we couldn't afford to live in southern CA. So, I quit my job, we moved to Colorado Springs and I don't work. I "only" knit and quilt and take care of my doggie (who is recovering from a couple surgeries, as mentioned in a couple other threads). I consider myself darn progressive for taking this path! ;) And, by the way, DH is happy as long as I'm happy! And no, I'm not a sahm, unless you count my furbaby as my child. ;)

nicolethegeek
03-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Most of the comments I get are the granny type ones... regardless of whether or not I need a date with Miss Clairol or not. Most of the people I work with are used to seeing me knit or crochet on my breaks, so I usually just get "what are you making now?" comments. One morning as I was getting ready to leave, the day shift was sitting at my usual table, and I grabbed my bag of knitting. "oh! *you're* the knitter!" I guess they'd all been looking at my various projects over the weeks and curious as to who on the night shift knitted! The department manager for crafts and fabrics teases me all the time that I don't do any housework or anything, or when do I sleep? My answer always is: Well I need something to do to stay awake until my kids get home from school and I can go to bed finally!

My DH is funny though... he can explain what frogging is, and how certain hooks or needles are better than others, but when I'm knitting something new, he'll ask me "what are you crocheting now?". Or if I bring along a project {like HIS socks}, "you got your crocheting with you?". :doh: I guess he's so used to me doing nothing but crocheting {and that's all that anyone in his family does}, that it's the only thing he can think of!! :roflhard:

What I found TOTALLY cool recently was with the KO. I have a manager that I don't get along with very well, but she has her moments. Since the booger was the only project I was bringing back and forth with me to work, she got to learn the story behind it at bit {our bags are checked by management before we leave}. Towards the end, she had asked me if I finished, and even if I had gotten my gold medal :shock: This from a non-crafter that would probably have no better goal in life than to see me quit my job!!!! {And she wants to see it when I bring it in on Thursday night!!!}

brendajos
03-01-2006, 02:36 PM
{our bags are checked by management before we leave}.

okay my love of walmart has been well documented on these forums but color me shocked and appalled! i get the reason but i am still shocked and appalled!

dustinac
03-01-2006, 04:12 PM
:shock: ohh I didn't know they did that... its great that she asked you about it and wants to see it!!

quirky
03-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Not progressive??? :shock:

What is not progressive about NOT being shackled to someone else's idea of identity? Honestly thats a woman head'n for a heart attack!

I just discovered that my lys has a class/ discussion group on how to handle pesky nay-sayers. Priceless really! :D

SALLY’S TOP TEN LISTS
Friday, March 10, 7:30-9pm, $10
We’ve all heard them: those ‘things’ people say or ask someone who is knitting in public. Are there appropriate responses? Unfortunately, sometimes not: we just have to smile and shrug and remain the good-natured people we are. But sometimes we CAN answer and turn these into positive and educative events! The universe then unfolds as it should! ALL LEVELS WELCOME.

nicolethegeek
03-02-2006, 04:42 PM

okay my love of walmart has been well documented on these forums but color me shocked and appalled! i get the reason but i am still shocked and appalled!

Actually, I really don't have a problem with it persay. If I carried a purse, that wouldn't be checked, but any lunch bag or duffle, etc is. Even management isn't free from this either. There's been a couple of times where I've checked briefcases of the AMs when they are leaving at 10:30 and my manager isn't at the door like he/she is supposed to be. So at least in *that* respect, everyone is treated equally. Even our store manager has his briefcase checked by the greeter. Basically anyone leaving is checked by the greeter during store hours, or management when the store is closed. Most of us make a joke about it all... like the 54" TV that I stash in my coffee cup on my way out, or the surround sound system in my lunch bag. It's just something else I have to do to be able to collect a paycheque. I'll be so much happier when I can work during the day, or my website pays off enough that I don't need to go out to work at all... in the meantime I'm stuck in my steel toes at the Mall Wart.

knit-a-holic
03-03-2006, 12:47 AM
It's not a dumb question, but it's more of an annoyance when they ask, "Can you make me one, too?"

JessicaR
03-03-2006, 02:15 AM
Target doesn't search our bags as we leave. Every once in a while they'll ask to see a receipt, but most employees just have it ready. Bed, Bath, and Beyond did check all bags before we left.

So I'm not totally hijacking the thread, I once was asked if I was pregnant as I was knitting baby booties on the break room couch!

WynnieG
03-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Whenever I ride the T (Boston's nickname for the subway) into town and it looks like it's going to be a long commute, I bring my knitting.

New Englanders are typically not fussed with getting into other folks' business, but this is a metropolitan area with people mixing from all over the world, so social customs tend to be more fluid. Due to this fact I will, on occasion, have questions put to me regarding my projects. I crochet as well as knit, as you'll see through the comments below.

Here are some of the cheekier questions and answers.

Q: Why do you bother knitting? (this from a surly looking 30-something male near Davis Sq.)
A: Because there's not enough room for bear baiting on the bus.

Q: (from a college co-ed who watched me crochet for a couple of weeks, then begin on a knitting project) "You're knitting? What happened to all that crochet?"
A: (feigning total seriousness without looking up from my knitting) Oh, well.... Crochet is just a gateway drug, really.

That one got some laughs from fellow commuters.

Q: Are you a nun?
A: Excuse me?
Q: Are. You. A. Nun?
A: Why on earth would you think I'm a nun?
Q: Because I've only ever seen nuns knit.
A: Well you're not far off... I'm a pagan priestess.
Q: :shock: ...uh...uh...
A: Bless you, my child. *smiling sweetly*

Q: What are you knitting?
A: A pair of fair isle mittens.
Q: With THOSE colors?
A: :rollseyes: Look, do I tell you how to dress yourself? Because someone should. (chuckles ensue from surrounding passengers.)
Q: That's rude.
A: (with raised eyebrow) Pot to the kettle. (I was really in NO mood on that day).

For as many bad experiences as I've had, I've probably had twice as many good experiences with knitting in public. I've inspired a few to try crochet, to knit, and even once got into a lively conversation with a guy about blackwork stitching and its history.

I've even had some embarrassing moments, such as the one with my beautiful blue eyelash scarf, one of my favorite early experiments with alternative fibers. The short version of that is that while talking to a young mother on the T her son started sobbing with grief. Turns out he thought I'd killed Grover the Muppet and was wearing the pelt like some sick prize around my neck. I haven't been able to wear it since.

brendajos
03-03-2006, 11:02 AM
I've even had some embarrassing moments, such as the one with my beautiful blue eyelash scarf, one of my favorite early experiments with alternative fibers. The short version of that is that while talking to a young mother on the T her son started sobbing with grief. Turns out he thought I'd killed Grover the Muppet and was wearing the pelt like some sick prize around my neck. I haven't been able to wear it since.

omg... :rofling: that poor little pookie!

njknitter
03-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Whenever Turns out he thought I'd killed Grover the Muppet and was wearing the pelt like some sick prize around my neck.

Grover was never really my favorite anyway...I say wear the scarf!!

madametj
12-05-2006, 08:58 PM
i just noticed this topic while doing a search, and event though its from months ago, i thought it would b fun to bring it back to life. :wink:

here are 2 comments both from the same person:

him: "when are you going to make a sweater?"
me: "i cant make a sweater, its too hard!"
him: "just make a bunch of scarves and sew them together."
:?eyebrow: :roll: :neutral: :hmm:

months later:

me: "i made these wristwarmers for my sis"
him: "so thats how u spent your weekend"
:whoosh: i think he was saying i dont have a life

mum2caden
12-05-2006, 09:47 PM
I just started knitting last week and am obsessed. I have knit five dishcloths in 6 days (and that is with nursing school and a 2 year old boy to care for...) but if I hear one more person tell me that it's "dorky" to knit.. or "why do you insist on trying every granny craft out there?" I am going to scream..

Yes, I do cross stitch, blackwork, crochet (sorta), tatting, sewing and now I have picked up knitting. What in the world is wrong with that???

-next on my list is spinning and weaving! :teehee:

Boogs
12-05-2006, 10:29 PM
For all the KIP I've done since I started I don't think I've had one negative comment about knitting at all.

I've had people show interest - the last ones being a group of young teen girls who were at the library.

My eldest, [11] is one of my top supporters, (next to the Hubster) - he wants me to open my own yarn shop so he can come and work with me, bless him. :heart:

losnana
12-05-2006, 10:53 PM
From my law partner, who plays croquet, fishes, sails and plays bridge: "You can waste a lot of time knitting, can't you?" GRRRRRRRRR

mulene
12-06-2006, 08:31 AM

This one gets me too. My sister in law said it to me recently and all I could think was "well WTF do you do with your time then?" I mean she watches daytime tv all day - she could knit and do that at the same time!

letah75
12-06-2006, 12:55 PM
"What is that called?"

"It's knitting"

"Oh, I thought it was crochet, how can you tell the difference"

- - - - - - - - - - -

(from a friend)

"I want you to teach me how to knit....but I don't think I'll be able to learn because I'm not good at chopsticks"

Actually I have to add my response to her. I looked kind of blank when she said this because it was so odd and unexpected. I just responded in kind of a dazed voice, "chopsticks are one handed, you'll have more control with knitting"

I didn't know what else to say.
- - - - - - - - - - -

"Why did you learn how to do that? You actually make things!?!"

- - - - - - - - - -

and......

"Have you ever stuck yourself in the eye with one of those sticks?" :passedout:

I kind of stared blankly at this person, with a bit of a WTF look on my face, and responded, "well I did in the begining, but now that I'm more coordinated I usually just get them stuck up my nose."

Stiney
12-06-2006, 01:01 PM

I kind of stared blankly at this person, with a bit of a WTF look on my face, and responded, "well I did in the begining, but now that I'm more coordinated I usually just get them stuck up my nose."

My response probably would have been a really sweet smile and, "No, not myself." And then kept smiling sweetly at them until they backed away in fear.

jodstr2
12-06-2006, 01:45 PM
did I already respond to this thread? I forget.
not so much a strange comment, but...l just, idk, it took me by surprise.
I KIP all the time without any negative comments. one day I was knitting in the waiting area at Kaiser Child Psych, waiting for my kid while he was at his appointment. there were 3 other adults sitting and 1 little boy, who appeared to be about kindergarten age calmly playing with blocks in the waiting area with me. we were all quiet doing our own thing minding our own business.
a woman across the room from me said, "you know, you shouldn't be using those needles in here."
I thought, noooo, she's not talking to me, I'm not gonna look at her.
she said, "excUUse me! knitting lady!"
"yes? what is the problem?"
"those are dangerous, you should know better than to use sharp objects in a child psychiatry office! I'm gonna tell the receptionist!"
"I'll talk to the receptionist."
the receptionist told me, with a roll of her eyes and a wink and smile, "it's okay, go ahead and knit, just ignore her.".
receptionist, to woman: "ma'am, she's allowed to knit in here. please do not bother the patients and their families."
just as she said this, the child who was calmly playing with blocks runs to the complainer and punches her, over and over.
complainer YELLS at the kid, "JOSHUA!!! WILL YOU STOP F***ING HITTING ME G*DDAMNIT?!?!"
the receptionist asked her to take her child outside.

I was like :shock:, trying to not to :roflhard:.

trollgirl
12-06-2006, 01:49 PM
This is the most awesome thread ever! I'm so glad it was ressurected. I've had great fun reading everyone's posts.

My friends and co-workers are generally positive about my knitting. They tease me goodnaturedly, but they can't really be mean or condescending about it since I work in a place where everyone plays tabletop role-playing games (AD&D, Werewolf, and the like) or talks about "next-gen" video game consoles. My manager runs LARP (live action role-play) games in the city, where people dress up in Victorian-style costumes (some handmade) and pretend to be vampires.

So really, knitting? Not so weird. One of my co-workers actually said "You can make clothes out of a piece of string. It's awesome." One of the programmers at my workplace actually thought my SNB kitty-hat was so cute he wore it around for an hour.

Though yesterday, when I was talking about getting another cat once I have a bigger apartment, someone joked about me becoming a crazy knitting cat-lady by the time I'm twenty-five.

And I don't really knit in public but the one time I did, this old guy came and sat down next to me on the bus and said "I thought only old ladies knitted." He was curious about what I was doing in a good way though.

I guess the weirdest (and most hurtful) thing came from my ex-bf a couple years back when I made him a scarf. I don't remember if he said it right then or sometime before (or after), but he said: "I don't know why you do this. You're so talented and you could do so much more." I guess he thought that since I wanted to knit, I couldn't possibly have any other ambitions. So I stopped knitting for a while.

I guess it comes back to the whole progressive women thing. I don't knit because I feel like it's my duty. I do it because I enjoy it and its a creative process. I'm not setting feminism back thirty years because I enjoy cooking, knitting and yes, even cleaning (am a neat-freak and afraid of dirt). It's a choice that I make and what's important is that I get to make this choice.

lissalue
12-06-2006, 02:45 PM
i was kip today, working on the bottom of my booga and this lady from my church came up to me and asked what i was knitting, so i answered, a bag. she then said i knit, but i could never do anything this complicated :shrug: i was like, it is just garter stitch, whatis so hard? but, i just smiled at her and nodded. :wall:

Stiney
12-06-2006, 02:46 PM
You should have told her that! It might have given her some confidence to try it. And you should have told her about usssss!

I've been getting mostly positive remarks about my KIPs. Which are mostly at my desk at lunch time. Though one of my coworkers teased me when I said this morning I was ready for summer. "Then you wouldn't be able to knit all these warm things!"

"I'll just use cotton." :teehee:

newamy
12-06-2006, 04:42 PM
I had never read this thread till today. Again, I'm gald someone resurrected it.

I recently completed a pair of lacy purple socks. I proudly showed them to my husband- several times while in process... and when I was done. He keeps saying they have holes in them. I explain it's lace. He says they are holes. He had never heard of lace socks.

But the other day at work I was showing off these same puple lace socks, removing my shoes and the whole bit. Most people know I've taken up knitting. Everyone is generally complimentary of my knitting. One co-worker worker looked at my feet and said. "Oh, you made those! How useful! When the world comes to an end you'll be able to have something to sell."
It was terribly funny, she didn't mean it in a bad way I think she meant if we are suddenly plunged into post industrial chaos I have a useful skill. Which, if they can just provide me with two sticks and some string, is true.

Kaydee
12-06-2006, 04:43 PM

My response probably would have been a really sweet smile and, "No, not myself." And then kept smiling sweetly at them until they backed away in fear. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

When I first starting knitting back in Sept. (and before I found all you wonderful people) I was sitting on my bed practicing my garter stitch when my roommate came home. She has to go by my room on the way to hers and she took one look, stopped and said WHAT are you doing??....um, well I'm teaching myself to knit so I can make a blanket for my neice. She procedes to laugh. I don't know why people think its so funny that someone under the age of 75 could be knitting. :noway:

Guin
12-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I get laughed at by my Mother in law whenever she sees me knitting and she wonders why I never make her anything .

Most like and want me to knit them something .
Never had a negative comment except that I knit too much .

I love it when after making a blanket for someone they snuggle it up to thier face . Also has anyone here had someone actually smell what you have knitted ? , and say "this smells good ,smells like you ."

Stiney
12-06-2006, 05:01 PM

What was that? The universal translator must be broken again, I can't read that.

Guin
12-06-2006, 05:10 PM

What was that? The universal translator must be broken again, I can't read that. What ?

Stiney
12-06-2006, 05:15 PM
"knit too much."

That's not English. I can't read what it says. :rofl:

Guin
12-06-2006, 05:20 PM
"knit too much."

That's not English. I can't read what it says. :rofl:

lol...gotcha ..never can knit enough .

ae
12-06-2006, 06:23 PM
i like this thread...can't wait to catch up on all the posts. not sure if this has been mentioned before, but i hate knitting in front of my FIL because he always asks me kindof condescending questions about it. i only see him a couple times a year, and when we do go up there, i am usually in the middle of a project. anyway, this past thanksgiving, as i'm knitting, he asks me if i ever finished anything, b/c he always sees me in progress and claims he has never seen me with an FO (which is not true). but even if it was true, i just found that to be a completely obnoxious question. of course he only sees me in progress. that's the whole point of knitting. you're always working on something.

anyway, thanks for letting me vent. :wink:

koolbreeze
12-06-2006, 07:25 PM
mines isn't weird... just said with love...
"are you gonna finish that?"

WTH is that supposed to mean!? i finish a lot of stuff.

losnana
12-06-2006, 07:25 PM
" :roflhard:

"Have you ever stuck yourself in the eye with one of those sticks?"

I kind of stared blankly at this person, with a bit of a WTF look on my face, and responded, "well I did in the begining, but now that I'm more coordinated I usually just get them stuck up my nose." :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :rofl: :rofl:

BillSpace
12-06-2006, 09:31 PM
This didn't happen to me, but a favorite knitting blogger posted the all-time best stupid knitting response:

http://the-panopticon.blogspot.com/2006/11/yes-and-i-also-took-lessons-in-sodomy.html

madametj
12-06-2006, 09:43 PM
"Now, did you learn to do that in prison?"

nadja la claire
12-06-2006, 10:53 PM
While waiting for the train and happily knitting away I am asked, "Are you knitting?" I answer "Yes, yes I am." Next question. "Are those real, authentic knitting needles?" :shock: I didn't know what to say, I mean how do you answer that question and not sound rude? :shrug:

Nadja xxx

madametj
12-06-2006, 11:30 PM
hmm, so what do u suggest i say when i pull out my knitting and some1 says "so thats what u do in ur spare time"?

brendajos
12-06-2006, 11:41 PM
"YEP!" xxx

Renoah
12-06-2006, 11:49 PM
From my semantics prof: "I've never had two people knit in my class before. It must be... liberating."

For the record, I was only one of the two ;) , and the prof went on to say that me meant it must help you be less distracted. Which, of course, it does. :)

Stiney
12-07-2006, 12:15 AM
hmm, so what do u suggest i say when i pull out my knitting and some1 says "so thats what u do in ur spare time"?

Pretend you don't know what they're talking about. "What's what I do in my spare time? Knitting? What are you talking about?"

thischicknits
12-07-2006, 12:49 AM
While waiting for the train and happily knitting away I am asked, "Are you knitting?" I answer "Yes, yes I am." Next question. "Are those real, authentic knitting needles?" :shock: I didn't know what to say, I mean how do you answer that question and not sound rude? :shrug:

Nadja xxx

A similar thing happened to me. I smiled politely and replied "I hope so!" then went back to my knitting.

Sara
12-07-2006, 01:01 AM
My stock answer:

"Knitting keeps me from harming myself and others..." :twisted:

Eloewien
12-07-2006, 01:45 AM
The hardest comment I've gotten is that knitting is "inappropriate" on breaks. That just made me angry. I'm not allowed to knit on breaks at work because it doesn't make the "right impression." I completely don't understand how it makes a bad impression. I've been told it makes me look like I'm not doing my job. I'm on my breaks!!

Oh well... some people just don't get it

hummingbird
12-07-2006, 02:21 AM
What a great topic! People say some weird things! :p
For me people usually just ask what I'm making. Although one person at work saw me knitting and told me that it makes you live longer. I don't mind that! Another acted really surprized and burst out laughting :shrug: I wasn't very happy about that one, but its the same kind of thing with making fun of me for being midwestern. grrrr

letah75
12-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Also has anyone here had someone actually smell what you have knitted ? , and say "this smells good ,smells like you ."

My boyfriend and I live 9 hours apart. i made him a blanket (my first FO), and he said that. Now when he comes to visit he brings the blanket so that I can cuddle with it when he's here, so that my smell gets 'reinfused' in the blanket.

:teehee:

mwedzi
12-07-2006, 11:41 AM
This thread is great! Why didn't I read this before?

I don't get negative comments, generally. I get attempts at flirting when dudes ask me if I'll knit something for them or if I can teach them while I'm KIP.

One woman did say I'm like a grandma in a 27 year old's body. I think I might have been crocheting at the time. Well, I'm 28 now and she just started knitting last week. Through my influence.

madametj
12-07-2006, 06:15 PM

Pretend you don't know what they're talking about. "What's what I do in my spare time? Knitting? What are you talking about?"

hmm, thats a funny one, but i dont think i could pull it off, i'm a terrible actress. i'd probably say all that and just start laughing. then they'd think i was psyco :eyes:

ecb
12-08-2006, 12:33 AM

Omg too funny! :roflhard:

Botox or yarn, botox or yarn....hmmm :thinking:

Well, its not an entire no brainer, they DO both use needles

madametj
12-10-2006, 08:12 PM
most annoying: "and when will you be making me one?"

Mo0nAngel
12-10-2006, 11:37 PM
hahahasome of the comments I've read are hilarious!! great thread!! :D
Well I've gotten both annoying and sweet comments...
Among the Annoying ones:
- "People, who knit, crochet and cross stitch never get married" (by my dad and uncle)
- "But aren't you a medicine student?" (What like I'm supposed to be stuck in some hospital and have no life beyond medicine!?? :rolleyes: )
- "What are you crocheting?"
- "Wow you sure have a love of free time" (I do :) thank you very much and enjoy every minute of it)
- "Make me a scarf!!/tighty whitey/sweater"
- "Look at the grandma"

Among the Sweet ones:

Generally people compliment the things I've knitted or say that they think its awesome that I knit, others ask me tot each them..one aunt said today that I was a very smart person because I learned through the internet....

Lighting57
12-12-2006, 01:14 PM
[quote="Eloewien"]The hardest comment I've gotten is that knitting is "inappropriate" on breaks. That just made me angry. I'm not allowed to knit on breaks at work because it doesn't make the "right impression." I completely don't understand how it makes a bad impression. I've been told it makes me look like I'm not doing my job. I'm on my breaks!!

Perhaps you should have replied with, " Since this is my BREAK and knitting isn't appropriate, what would you suggest I do, YOUR WORK?"

Some people just don't think before speaking.

craftyhands22
12-12-2006, 06:57 PM
I was in the library knitting one day and one of the people who works there walked by and said "I've never seen anyone crocheting in here before. Haha." Ummm, 'scuse me? I think they thought they were clever and that they were making me feel silly for knitting. I just smirked as they walked by and mumbled "idiot" to myself.

I also love it when I am knitting a scarf and a person walks by and asks "Oh, can you make me one next?" Why yes, because it's quite simple to just pop out a scarf for someone random, not to mention yarn costs, etc. Then they seem hurt when you say "Yes, if you go buy me the yarn you want me to use." The funny thing is that it's usually people I hardly know that ask me that.

ShellChelle
12-18-2006, 05:22 PM
I was sitting and knitting (an omymoron) at the hair salon and a lady sitting next to me said, "Wow. . . I didn't know black people knit! I'm sure they don't knit much in Africa." (Both she and I are black).

Ughhhhh!!!

mwedzi
12-18-2006, 06:22 PM
I was sitting and knitting (an omymoron) at the hair salon and a lady sitting next to me said, "Wow. . . I didn't know black people knit! I'm sure they don't knit much in Africa." (Both she and I are black).

Ughhhhh!!!

That is a, um, special one. :?? Lots of black folk knit (I'm one of them) and black people in Africa knit, too. Though I guess it's true that, in my limited experience, more crochet than knit. In all of my homestays in southern Africa, there were so many hand-crocheted and hand-knit items everywhere. Doilies, table cloths, arm chair covers, etc.

madametj
12-18-2006, 08:12 PM

Ughhhhh!!!

ARE. YOU. SERIOUS?!?!!! oh man if some1 said that to me.....

i hate it when ppl have to analyze your actions based on what race you are.

Denise in Michigan
12-19-2006, 04:31 PM
We all need to knit (or crochet, or embroider, or sew, or whatever) in public more often so that people get used to us! I think that most of the dumb/rude comments are just attempts to acknowledge that we're doing something that's currently perceived as being a little bit out of the ordinary. Most people don't want to sound dumb or rude; they're just trying to show an interest or be thought of as clever.

I feel fortunate. In over thirty years of crafting in public, I've received very few truly negative comments. I bet that all of them were from people who have never made anything creative or satisfying or just plain fun with their own hands. They just don't know what they're missing!

So come on! Let's do our thing in public, proudly and with a sense of humor! We will educate and convert a few people!

dustinac
12-19-2006, 04:34 PM
When I was going through everything to get my son ready for school.. the teacher had to test him before he started.. so I sat outside the door knitting.. when she came out she said oh you crochet..my mom used to crochet?? I was like umm.. no its knitting.. crochet is done with a hook.. ohh it is?? :rofl: :roflhard: she loved the knitted dishrags she got from me though for Christmas and my son came home happy that I'm a knitter cause all the students were impressed :teehee:

luv2knit
12-24-2006, 02:13 PM
My father-in-law, who is really is a very nice person, just said this to me and my niece, "Are you practicing (knitting) that for when you get older?" At first I thought he was joking, but he was really serious.

I responded with "You can be young and enjoy knitting. You don't have to wait until you are old." adding that I would be posting his comment to this forum!

He just smiled and went on into the other room.

My other really frustrating comments is are by two of my friends that always say...Where's mine? or I don't see you knitting one for me? To which I respond ok, buy the yarn and I will whip it up for you. So far they have never taken me up on it.

VictoiseC
12-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Wow, some comments! (I didn't know black people knit!?) Wow.

I got from an old friend I hadn't seen for a while:

"When are you getting a rocking chair?"

Actually, I'd love a good rocking chair but I can't afford one. :teehee:

Shandeh
12-26-2006, 11:48 AM
My mother is my worst enemy when it comes to my knitting. I offered to teach her to knit once, and she said, "I'll learn when I'm old. I don't have time now." (insinuating that I am not busy enough.)

Along those same lines, she always tells me, "Sandy, when are you going to get a real job?" I'm like, "EXCUSE me! I DO have a real job. I'm a piano teacher and church musician." She can NOT understand how I can make a living with music. She just scoffs at my life. Makes me SO mad!

When I first started learning to spin yarn, she said, "WHY on EARTH would you want to do that?!" I just ignored her and changed the subject.

She thinks that anyone who does things differently from her is STUPID. :wall:

Stiney
12-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Sandy, it's so you can start making your own hemp for nooses. ;) :twisted:

brownishcoat
12-26-2006, 02:22 PM
:teehee:

Fortunately, I'm from a crafty family, so they are used to it. I don't think I've ever been approached by a stranger in public regarding my knitting.

Rorshach
12-26-2006, 04:31 PM
ah, the joys, and pains of knitting. Now my family is pretty much used to seeing me knit, though my brother's IL's scoff a bit at me doing so. and my SIL tends to do a lot of noselooking at me, especially with comments like, "Well my mother can do this, or that or whatnot with yarn." I'm like, that's great for your mother, but you can't so shut it.

As far as knitting in public, I think the best comment I've heard was while my son was in surgery, and I'm sitting in the waiting room, couple of gals were actually talking about how they should've brought their knitting, as soon as I pull mine out and start going at it, (I was working on the Monk's satchel at the time) both of them looked at each other, and one commented, "well, it looks like he was prepared." Then started to ask me how long I've been knitting and whether I knit in public real often. It was actually great, got a lot of the bag done, and had a real conversation with a couple of experienced knitters at the same time.

One other comment I remember from this year was my brother watching me cast on for socks, he asked me, "Soooo, how do socks work?" Though I knew he was referring to my knitting, I had to give him the smart aleck reply, "Well there's an opening at one end, you slip your foot into it, and keep pulling until it's firmly on your foot." :roflhard: Of course I gave him the real explanation after seeing the look on his face. :roflhard:

Shandeh
12-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Sandy, it's so you can start making your own hemp for nooses. ;) :twisted:
:roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard: :chair: :yay: :yay:

Mrs. Columbo
12-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Well, I have only started knitting, I'm so new that I haven't even finished my first project .... so far I've just been practising different stitches, counting, getting my tension right .. .but I do have a bunch of wool bought already!! and pattern books, one cannot have too many .. and my DH got me a how to knit book for Christmas .. bless him. :hug:

I do however make mohair teddy bears by hand .. I take my parts to the doctor's office, etc. wherever one would take their knitting .... I was waiting for DH to come out of the doctor's office one time and there was this little girl, maybe 5-6 yrs old looking at me as I was sewing up a bear's head .... I turned it right side out and she nearly died as she recognized it to be a head ... the mom said "do you make heads?" .. I said "I make all kinds of body parts" .... the little girl looked at me and said "what is it?" .. I said "it's a teddy bear's head" ..... the mom said "teddy bears. Don't most people just BUY them?" ... I said "yes. From me" ... she must have thought I outfitted all the Hallmark stores with teddies.

Ask a totally STUPID QUESTION ..... egads.

Toby

Shandeh
12-26-2006, 04:54 PM
That's great Toby!! We have the teddy bear creator in our midst! :)
What a fun story.

BTW, are you a fan of Columbo? I am! I have 4 Seasons of the show on DVD now.

brendajos
12-26-2006, 04:56 PM
uuuuuuuuuuuh don't mean to interrupt but do you have a website that has your bears on it? :happydance:

Mrs. Columbo
12-26-2006, 04:58 PM
That's great Toby!! We have the teddy bear creator in our midst! :)
What a fun story.

BTW, are you a fan of Columbo? I am! I have 4 Seasons of the show on DVD now.

I've been making teds for 12 years ..... have three to make up now and then I discovered knitting .... oh, I need more hours in a day ....

I do love Columbo .... I retired in 2004 after 25 years as a private investigator in domestic surveillance .. since I was the only female P.I. in the province, I was given the name "Mrs. Columbo" by colleagues ... I moved from the east coast of Canada to BC in 2004 to marry my wonderful husband ... we are an internet romance ... now I get to stay home, knit and make teddies ..... :hug:

Toby

Shandeh
12-26-2006, 05:00 PM
How cool! I wish we could meet and knit together while watching the show. That would make a nice memory, and we'd have a new friend when we're done! :hug:

janelanespaintbrush
12-26-2006, 05:05 PM
So you're more like Kate Mulgrew's Mrs. Columbo than Peter Falk's missus since you did actual detective work. (Were they really supposed to be the same person?)

Just did a littling googling, and verified that they are indeed different characters. Apparently, in an episode after the Mrs. show aired, Columbo complains that someone was running around pretending to be his wife -- making it very clear that they were not the same person! :teehee:

Mrs. Columbo
12-26-2006, 05:11 PM
How cool! I wish we could meet and knit together while watching the show. That would make a nice memory, and we'd have a new friend when we're done! :hug:

And you Shandeh could show me how to make up all these projects that I have sitting here .... I met a gal from a meetup site and since the list is new and the other Vancouver knitters were having a meetup (of 20) there wasn't anyone else coming to ours so we two met at a local coffee shop for two hours ... she brought her sweater and I brought my wool and needles ... the thing I learned that I did not know is there are only two stitches in knitting ... if you can knit and purl you can do it ... I'm looking forward to "doing it" .... :teehee:

When I used to work at an investigations firm where there were 10 other investigators, we would be assigned jobs based on our area of expertise ... I only did domestic ... someone would come in/call and they'd refer them to "Toby" ... I don't know how many times I would get "oh! You're a WOMAN! I thought that was a man's name" ... "it is, I was named after my dad and didn't change the spelling" .... or "I was expecting a man" ... to which I would reply "so was I".

More stupid questions ....... but I loved my work.

"Toby The Woman" (who used to watch PEOPLE "doing it") :teehee:

Mrs. Columbo
12-26-2006, 05:21 PM
So you're more like Kate Mulgrew's Mrs. Columbo than Peter Falk's missus since you did actual detective work. (Were they really supposed to be the same person?)

Yes, I'm more the Kate Mulgrew .... I don't think Missus Columbo did anything .... she was just a reference point which would make all of us at home say "you mean he's MARRIED?" and "how did she stand having that Basset Hound in the house?" ... then again amid the smell of old trenchcoat, cigar and old car smell, she probably didn't notice Dog.

Toby

Shandeh
12-26-2006, 05:22 PM
I'd do my best to help, but I'd probably be calling Ingrid for assistance.

:notworthy: Ingrid is the Knitting Queen! :notworthy:

nadja la claire
12-26-2006, 06:32 PM
I know I've already posted to this thread but.........Gotta another great quoteable knitting quote. People just say the darndest things. I work at an art school and one day last week I was on my break sitting happily knitting and a young woman asked me what I was making. I replied that I was making a scarf for my nephew for Christmas. She looked at the cabled pattern and said "Wow that looks really hard." I smiled and said "No, not really." "Oh" she said flatly. "Then what's the use of doing it?" :shock: :noway: and with that she walked away.

Nadja xxx

letah75
12-26-2006, 06:39 PM
I got one the other day. I was knitting at work and my co-worker yelled out "KNIT ONE, PURL TWO!!!! I don't know what the means but I know it has something to do with knitting." So now every time she sees me she yells out "Knit One, Purl Two!!!"

madametj
12-26-2006, 06:42 PM
I know I've already posted to this thread but.........Gotta another great quoteable knitting quote. People just say the darndest things. I work at an art school and one day last week I was on my break sitting happily knitting and a young woman asked me what I was making. I replied that I was making a scarf for my nephew for Christmas. She looked at the cabled pattern and said "Wow that looks really hard." I smiled and said "No, not really." "Oh" she said flatly. "Then what's the use of doing it?" :shock: :noway: and with that she walked away.

Nadja xxx

:chair: lol, ppl say the weirdiest stuffs sometimes.

janelanespaintbrush
12-26-2006, 06:47 PM
I got one the other day. I was knitting at work and my co-worker yelled out "KNIT ONE, PURL TWO!!!! I don't know what the means but I know it has something to do with knitting." So now every time she sees me she yells out "Knit One, Purl Two!!!"

If I remember correctly, that's a Wilma Flintstone quote. From when she was knitting booties for Pebbles.

Shandeh
12-26-2006, 08:01 PM

Nadja xxx

Who put HER panties in a wad?

madametj
12-27-2006, 01:22 AM
here's an extremely short, but cute conversation between me and my 4-year-old cousin while i was finishing her fluffy, pink scarf

Me: "How long does it take to make a scarf?"

Her: "Ummmm, I think 3 minutes."

:teehee: that 1 had me giggling for a while

psammeadred
12-27-2006, 10:15 AM
At the doctor's office last week: "Oh, I could never do that." It was a stockinette baby sweater, about as hard as tyeing your shoelaces.

Krystal
12-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Guy on a bus: "I thought only grandma's and old ladies knitted?"

Me on a bus: "Well I sure busted that stereotype for ya, now didn't I?"

I'm still not sure if my response irritated or amused him.

Jackie M.
12-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Makes you want to say, "Well, the grandma's and old ladies were young once too. They learned to knit from their mothers." Do people think only old people learn to knit? :??

Jackie M.
12-27-2006, 12:02 PM
I don't knit in public much so I've not heard any strange or weird comments. Once though when I was in a doctor's office and waiting for my husband I had the knitting and the woman near me says she wished she had learned to knit. I told her it wasn't as hard as it looked, but she said she only crocheted. I told her I use to crochet afghans all the time and she said, "You mean you can knit AND crochet?" .....as if you should only be able to do one or the other.

feminine_earth
12-27-2006, 12:50 PM
I've only been knitting since September, but the few times that I've knitted in public, I haven't really gotten any negative comments, just a few blank, mouth-gaping stares. :teehee:

A few weeks ago, though, when I was telling a co-worker that I had to leave on time because I was hosting a knitting get-together that evening, he kinda smirked and said, "Well aren't you turning all domestic..."

Whatev. :rollseyes:

Oh! And every single time my husband tells his family back in Ireland that I've started knitting, they ALL ask if I'm pregnant (I'm not.). :wall:

letah75
12-27-2006, 06:02 PM
he kinda smirked and said, "Well aren't you turning all domestic..."

Whatev. :rollseyes:

OMgoodness, my friends have said that too. Or the inevitable, "Hunh, I never would have pegged you for the domestic type."

Some of my co-workers are amazed that I knit, and cook, and make candles, and they tell me all the time "ohhhh, you're crafty, I NEVER would have guessed." The way the say it seems like they expect me to go home, plop on the sofa like a female Al Bundy, drink a beer, burp, and stare at the t.v. with my mouth open. :doh:

I have however gotten one of my coworkers to try knitting, she's completed two scarves and gave them to people as christmas gifts. She is one who swears she is not "crafty" and would never knit. So now on Friday's after work we go to Michael's and pick out yarn for her, and new needles.

rohanknitter
12-28-2006, 02:28 AM
I was knitting while waiting at my son's karate class....
Lady: "What are you making/"
Me: "A scarf for my grandma."
Lady: "Oh, well those are good grandma colors."

What does that mean???

On a side note, I'm amazed how often I'm in situations where you are just basically sitting and waiting (ie, karate class) and NO ONE is ever doing anything with their hands, or reading, or anything. These are of course the same people that tell you they don't have time to knit. :doh: