PDA

View Full Version : OT feeling worried - update

quirky
02-24-2006, 07:30 PM
This has been really bugging me all day.
My husband has been complaining of some GI trouble this week and then last night he finally confessed that there was a "bump" just below his sternum.
Well he showed me the bump and the bump is more of a walnut sized lump. He says it is sore and tender to the touch. It is not noticable until he lifts his arms - then it just "popps out"

I made him an appointment with his doctor. But he cant be seen until Monday.
I honestly dont think I will sleep (or knit) until I know whats going on!
I am posting here because there is no sense in trying to talk to friends or family they will only ask questions I cant answer.
Thanks for the "ear"
S.

Ingrid
02-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Kind of scary to have to wait until Monday. I'm certainly no expert, but it sounds like a hernia of some kind. :thinking:

Jenelle
02-24-2006, 07:33 PM
:heart: Hug :heart:

I hope the appointment goes well for both of you :heart:

margie
02-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Sounds just like a hernia to me- I'm no expert either, but that sounds textbook. I'll keep my fingers crossed, and say a prayer for him! :pray:

Jan in CA
02-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Hernia was my first thought, too. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and thinking about you! :heart:

aylaanne
02-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Hmm. Since everyone else's first thought is hernia, i won't share my first thought. It could very well be a hernia, especially with the gi trouble he's having. I hope everything goes well at the doctors. Keep us posted!

Ellen Edwards
02-24-2006, 10:57 PM
Hernia is my first too!! Hope he'll go to the dpc. soon!

sfavereau
02-24-2006, 11:10 PM
I know how bad it is to have wait through the weekend for a drs appointment! Hope all goes well and I'll be thinking of you and your husband.

BinkyKat
02-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Hugs and best wishes for a positive turnout to his appt.
Thank goodness he is going in, men-folk can be very hard to get to the Dr.
My DH has ulcerative colits and has been dr.'ing since he was a teen, but even so, he lapses into "my meds really aren't helping" and went off of them for a year :shock: I nagged him for 6 months until he finally went in after Christmas and things have gotten a little more manageable. Which in his case is better than the norm.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

quirky
02-25-2006, 01:00 AM
Thanks guys!! :D
I really appreciate your kind thoughts and well wishes.

I keep hoping its only a hernia and nothing worse. Ill post an update when I have info.

Thanks again!!

dustinac
02-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Sending thoughts and prayers your way... :heart:

wildforyarn
02-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Again, hernia was my first thought as well. I hope he is feeling okay and the doctor can fix this up really quick and it is not a big deal. Don't worry until you see someone. I know it is hard to do, but try and have a good weekend, see a movie, do something relaxing with him and take your minds off of it until Monday.

Let us know.

knittingachiever
02-25-2006, 02:39 PM
It sounds like an epigastric hernia, which is more uncomfortable than dangerous. It's good that you have a doc's appointment, but I wouldn't be unduly concerned. He'll probably be referred to a general surgeon who can fix it in an outpatient procedure, if he wants it fixed.

When I was a surgery resident, I repaired dozens of them.

benniesma
02-25-2006, 03:59 PM
I have no idea what it could be, but just wanted to send you some hugs and calm vibes!

Here's hoping that the weekend speeds by peacefully for you! :heart:

mks22300
02-25-2006, 04:04 PM
I hope that everything will be ok!! I know it's a long wait until Monday, just try your best to keep your mind calm!

jodstr2
02-25-2006, 11:20 PM
positive thoughts for you. hope all turns out ok. :heart:

Ronda
02-26-2006, 12:32 AM
I understand your worry. I hope things go well Monday. Until then, lots of prayers coming your way. Keep us posted.

Angelia
02-26-2006, 12:43 AM
:heart: :heart:

I hope you're both doing okay...Monday's getting closer!

jenmarsh
02-26-2006, 04:48 AM
I am glad you've made the appt for him. I know with my bf (practically a dh considering our years together), I would have to do the same. It could be one of a hundred (maybe thousand?) things. The good thing, it seems it's an early catch of whatever it is. Hernia came to mine for me too, so here is to hoping that your husband is okay and that you start off your week with comforting news.

Try to relax this weekend and know that whatever can be done to this point has been (you've recognized the problem and made the appt). Good luck on Monday!

quirky
02-27-2006, 03:33 PM
My husband had his appointment today. We are still not really sure what is going on. He has been scheduled for an ultrasound. Our doctor believes he may have either an ulcer or gall stones. We are hoping for the ulcer! lol

In any case the doctor said that the "lump" was really just a normal protrusion that most people are unaware of until they have pain in that area. He told mu husband that in all likelyhood most of the soreness is caused because my husband keeps poking at the spot!! I have personally witnessed a deep pre-occupation with rubbing and poking that spot so I believe the doctor.

In any case the news is better than bad. Its a big relief to me!

I wanted to say again how much I appreciate all the well wishes!

You guys are all really great!! :D

Jenelle
02-27-2006, 03:42 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart:

Good thing both of those can be treated! :)

Ingrid
02-27-2006, 04:36 PM
What a relief, huh?

margie
02-27-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm so glad to hear that things are looking better!! :heart:

Lana
02-27-2006, 04:58 PM
.........in all likelyhood most of the soreness is caused because my husband keeps poking at the spot!! I have personally witnessed a deep pre-occupation with rubbing and poking that spot so I believe the doctor.

Is this a guy thing"? My dh obsesses about the little things and lets the more serious stuff slide for a couple weeks before mentioning 'em. :wall:

I'm glad to hear you are on the road to getting answers.

wildforyarn
02-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Glad to hear the doctor does not think it is too major and that another test is scheduled to find out what it is. Let us know when you find out more.

samm
02-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Whew! Glad to hear positive news! Well, treatable news, anyway. Tell him to stop poking at, rubbing etc., the spot. :lol: Hoping you are both feeling lots better. samm

Angelia
02-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Oh, that's great news! :heart: :heart:

And I got a bit of a giggle reading that your dh actually made the problem worse! :rofling: