ecb
03-01-2006, 12:51 AM
I am in the Mid-Coast area
Love knitting small easily gratifying projects
but crave having a large one to do to complete

ecb

Stonington
03-01-2006, 09:26 AM
:cheering: HI! I am from Maine! The Southern end. Brrrrr kind of cold here today hmmm? I have been doing somewhat small things too.. but drool over several larger projects. We should drool together lol. Have a sparkling day! :sunny:

anne
southern maine

JLC
03-01-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm in Central Maine...I second Stonington, it's freakin' cold. I'm working on a sweater right now and it's going pretty well. It's my first "big" project.

cheesiesmom
03-01-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm in Michigan, but the Maine coast is one of my very favorite vacation spots. I can't imagine being there in Jan or Feb tho'. Michigan is cold enough. Br-r-r-r-r!

Stonington
03-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Well it was somewhat of a heatwave this morning. lol 11 degrees. Monday it was 1 :shock: when I left for work with a wind chill of -23. brrrrrrrr Heading for Orlando on the 10th so have been checking temps there .. a very balmy 82 degrees today! whoo hoo. :cheering:

anne
southern maine

laurie in maine
03-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Yes...from Maine also. Little north of Bangor ...which seems a lot closer to the coast when you actually look at it on a map. I always think of this area as the middle but it's really not!

Yes, COLD!
Laurie

Kirochka
03-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Not from Maine but used to go there as a kid. It's my father's favorite place in the world, I think...when I was little they would leave us with my grandparents in NY and go on a windjammer out of Camden for a week, but that got too expensive. Then we rented a cabin a couple of years on Lake Megunticook in Lincolnville (this is in the early 1970s...)... and now my parents go for a week on Mt. Desert every fall (AFTER Labor Day!).

JLC
03-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Hey Stonington, I'm heading to Orlando on the 13th. 10 days of nice warm weather. I can't wait!!!

blueeyes28
03-01-2006, 01:35 PM
I am in Maine .

Stonington
03-01-2006, 01:50 PM
JLC if you see a Burgundy Rendezvous with Maine plates honk! :waving: lol. Wouldn't that be something? :roflhard: Hope you have a wonderful time! :cheering:

anne
southern maine

ecb
03-01-2006, 11:56 PM
cool
I M in knox county
got 3 kids who can all knit, and 2 who do it regularly (still working on the 8yo)

Stonington
03-02-2006, 09:36 AM
I am in Cumberland County--have lived in a variety of places in Maine/CT. Mystic CT, Hampden ME, Orono, Rangeley, and now Windham. Always thought I would return to CT lol. But there is just something about Maine sigh.. ocean, pine trees, friendly folks. I have one daughter, one grandson and after being single for 12 years a new husband! :heart: Nice to meet you all! :cheering:

anne
southern maine

blueeyes28
03-02-2006, 09:48 AM
I am in Gorham right down the road from Knitters Korner

JLC
03-02-2006, 10:10 AM
I went to USM for 2 years and stayed in the dorms the first year, then had an apartment in Gorham for the 2nd year. I loved that area, so close to Portland, but not right in the city. But I'm back in the town where I grew up because I like the school system.

blueeyes28
03-02-2006, 10:10 AM
What town is that?

njknitter
03-03-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm not from Maine, but :heart: your beautiful state! My kids go to Hidden Valley Camp in the summer for a few weeks and DH and I look forward to visiting them as well as touring around while we're up there.

I've given up eating lobster anywhere else!

blueeyes28
03-03-2006, 10:58 AM
yeah our lobstahs are hard to resist!!! :heart: :heart:

Stonington
03-03-2006, 11:25 AM
mmmm lobster :drooling: may have to make a trip to the Old Port on my way home from work. Ya just had to mention lobster lol.

anne
southern maine

blueeyes28
03-03-2006, 11:27 AM
I know,I know I want one now too!!! :lol:

Stonington
03-03-2006, 11:37 AM
It has been awhile... they have been quite expensive... :shock: but sometimes ya just gotta do it! :cheering:

anne
southern maine

WynnieG
03-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Lobster stew on a cold day....nothing like it. Pass the potatoes.

I'm a Mainah livin' in exile. Grew up in York County, attended USM but lived up in Brunswick for a time... still love going up there. Ecb, you have my knitter's envy for your proximity to Halcyon. I never could get out of there for under $200.

If any of you Maine knittahs ever wanted to take over an Old Port coffeehouse for an afternoon, I'd certainly be up for a trip on the Downeaster to join you!

njknitter
03-03-2006, 11:39 AM
OK, OK, stop rubbing it in, will ya?? I'm a good 6 months away from a good lobster!!! :crying:

I love Bayview Lobster (or maybe it's called Bayside?) in Camden and Red's Eats in Wiscasset. We plan our drive up so we can arrive for lunch in Wiscasset.

Lynn

WynnieG
03-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Red's is good, but you should get yourself over to the Wiscasset Diner sometime. Great breakfasts and sweet people. Never give you the bum's rush, like they do in places that "cater to tourists".

blueeyes28
03-03-2006, 11:41 AM
You have to go to the water front in portland to get the best expierience I think the Dry Dock has the best lobter roll any where.

WynnieG
03-03-2006, 11:44 AM
What's the price of lobster this week?? I mean, what with it being sorta shrimp season an' all.

Ok, that's it. I need to go make clam chowder now.
Where did I put my dairy free recipe? (It sounds appalling, but I don't really notice a difference, and I'm extremely picky about my clam chowder.)

Stonington
03-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Okay so maybe I really don't want lobster this weekend lol. I just called Free Range to get pricing lol... :shock: whooo eeeeee 1.25 are $11 per pound and 1.50 are $14.49 per pound... wow.

anne
southern maine

blueeyes28
03-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks my craving just went away too :roflhard: :roflhard:

Stonington
03-03-2006, 12:54 PM
:roflhard: any time. Shrimp Jambalia.. that is the new item on the menu lol

6 days til VACATION!

anne
southern maine

cheesiesmom
03-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Okay so maybe I really don't want lobster this weekend lol. I just called Free Range to get pricing lol... Shocked whooo eeeeee 1.25 are $11 per pound and 1.50 are $14.49 per pound... wow.

OK, so you guys should live in Michigan or someplace more west. $14.49/# would look pretty inviting.

When we'd vacation in Maine that's all we'd eat and couldn't believe how cheap it was. Unfortunately in the past 4 or 5 years I've developed an intolerance to ALL fish and seafood. :crying: I gues my days of gorging on lobster are over. :crying: :crying:

WynnieG
03-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Yeah, at those prices I'll wait until next October, when the tourists are gone.

I used to have a friend who ran shrimp with his dad out of Cape Porpoise... and he'd sell to us for around $1/lb. Those were sweet days. I wunner what happened to him.

ecb
03-04-2006, 10:29 PM
actually the Truck by the bookstore has shrimp for .75, dads truck (not MY dad) is still selling them for a dollar
they are just as tiny and sweet as you can ask for
you can buy the Big ones in the market for a lot more, but the small ones are the flavor I remember from when I was a kid on Northhaven

anyone know the take out spot on Lincolnvill Beach?
its a bit pricey, but you can take out your lobster or clams and the kids can play on the beach (round stones on the Right, Sand in the middle, and sharp stones on the Left)

Come July 18, odds are I will be there (its my Birthday)

ecb
03-04-2006, 10:37 PM
NJknitter
do you mean the waterfront restaraunt?
its a good one, but also pricey, VERY fresh seafood though, and local vegetables whenever possible, almost as much as Peter Otts

when I was a kid I was bussing there, and actually had a guy send back his meal becasue it didn't smell like fish, :?? and even though he was from the midwest somewhere (I forget where, it was over 15 years ago), he KNEW that really fresh fish smelled like fish :rollseyes:

it was a rough night, he made a real scene, and we kept laughing when we looked at him, and he was there over an hour after he got his food.

ecb

njknitter
03-05-2006, 11:02 AM
NJknitter
do you mean the waterfront restaraunt?
ecb

The one I'm talking about (Bayview or Bayside) is right on the dock by the water, but it is really casual...plastic trays, no tablecloths or anything. There is another one on the water that looks a bit fancier (we didn't try that one). Bayview was pretty reasonably priced, but I guess one's idea of reasonable is based on perspective! Down in this area, I'd pay a fortune for a similar meal that isn't a FRACTION as good!

I've never stopped at the place on Lincolnville Beach, so maybe we'll give it a shot this summer! I know you guys get tired of the obnoxious tourists that descend on you in the summer, but rest assured that we just come and spend too much money while being very polite! What more could you ask for?
Lynn

ecb
03-05-2006, 09:10 PM
not all of us mind the Tourists
SOME of them would be horrible no matter away or at home
ok, I think I know the place you mean
Waterfront is the expensive one
this summer I am hoping to be working at a SUmmer camp up here
being both Nurse and Environmental Educator
LOTS of time to knit, and hang with the kids

but let me know
I M pretty easy to find