PDA

View Full Version : Oh do I really have to frog this vest?

VictoiseC
03-02-2006, 12:17 PM
FOR DAYS! I swear. I have looked at every vest on patterncentral.

Then I went to your favorite pattern links. I found this one pattern
but I'm confused as to how to cast on when you already have stitches on the needle.

You start the right front with only 3 stitches I guess for the pointy edge then you're suppposed to cast on IS THAT EASY?

I want a slightly fitted vest, not a boxy vest. And this is the best I've come up with so far.

This is the beginning of the instructions and how the heck do you know where the 'NECK EDGE edge' is if you've only cast on 3 stitches????? Why can't they be more um, explanatory!

Front (Make Two)

With larger straight needles, CO 3 sts.
Working in St st, AT NECK EDGE inc 1 st every other row 12 times. At same time, at armhole edge CO 4 sts every 4th row 5 times-35 sts. Piece will measure approx 4" long. Place marker at neck edge.

Here's the link: Ha, it's called Easy Vest I just noticed.

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/swepointedvest.htm

Ingrid
03-02-2006, 12:55 PM
If you're making the right side, the neck edge would be on the left as the work is facing you. If you're making the left side the neck edge would be on the right as it's facing you. If you get confused, just hold it up to yourself with the right side facing out as you would wear it. Then look for your neck. :rofling: :rofling:

VictoiseC
03-02-2006, 03:44 PM
I think I'm lookin' for MY BRAINS INgrid! :rofling:

Well, I'm trying it, the pattern but sizing seems weird so I'll probably be a-rippin. or it's my guage or it's my brains :doh:

VictoiseC
03-03-2006, 06:52 PM
grumble grumble Ok I guess Ingrid I gotta listen to that little IMPORTANT statement of yours: Always trust the pattern.

That vest pattern said to cast on 73 but by the time I was at 63 it just looked like it was going to be way too big for me coz I want a slightly fitted vest. So I cast on 63, 10 short ... and now I'm 4 inches in and it's only 13" inches across and I think it should be more like 20" (not that I'm 40 inches around my hips but I'm certainly not 26") so WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN TO THE PATTERN!

Do you agree I need to frog... I think so but I don't want to...

:crying:

Ingrid
03-03-2006, 07:06 PM
If it's only 13 inches across, I don't see any way to make it bigger. :shifty:

VictoiseC
03-03-2006, 07:13 PM
boo hoo
Why didn't I listen to you?

Knit and Learn. Maybe that'll be my saying.

thanks, I.

VictoiseC
03-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Wait a minute wait a minute.... I'm sorry Ingrid to have bothered you,
somehow I measured wrong, it's 17" across not 13.
So it might fit. Have to think about it some more.

sorry! :rollseyes:

Ingrid
03-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Oh, well, you should be! I just slaved over my long, involved response! :roflhard:

I hope it works!! :pray:

VictoiseC
03-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Ok so I just went ahead and FROGGED THE THING.

It's a funny bit to watch youself going on with it, knowing it's wrong but being stubborn, like MAYBE IT WILL FIT. Started over and anyhow I didn't like that pattern. She wants you to pick up stitches all around the bottom of the vest and knit a garter border. why? I'm just trying my own design, k2, p2 rib on the bottom... geez.

Can't wait til I can 'design' my own stuff.