PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sewing Machine ?

silveridger
03-04-2006, 07:42 PM
I find myself in the position of having to buy a new sewing machine. I've been using my mom's for the past 20 years or so, an early Singer zig zag. It's always worked fine and suits my needs, but DD needs it now and I am left without. And although I don't sew much, now that I don't have a machine I NEED one after repainting the house, must make window coverings, ya know ;) . I planned to just go out and buy a low-end Singer, but wondered if anyone has strong feelings about a better brand... Singer is no doubt not the same machine it used to be, and I'd like to be happy with this one for another 20 years. Don't need anything fancy, just the basics. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Julie
03-04-2006, 07:46 PM
I got my Singer from a sewing machine repair shop. It was funny -- I walked in to look and the place was filled with brand spanking new high-end machines, and I said, "I want a machine that goes forward and backward, zig-zag would be a plus." They went to the back and pulled out this machine from the 60's, in great shape, complete with the original instruction manual.

They reconditioned it themselves and have helped me for free the two times I had very minor issues with it. It's been absolutely fabulous (it does have decorative stitches too and an automatic buttonholer :thumbsup: ) and weeeellll worth the $50 I spent on it! Ever since, I've always recommended that people look at their local repair shop. :D

Sara
03-05-2006, 12:04 AM
I would start with repair shops or eBay and look for a 1960's model Singer. If that's not an option, try a low -end White brand before buying a new Singer. DD bought a Singer and it was total crap (pardon the expression). She ended up with a White, and we've been really happy with it. The 16yo lets me use it to do buttonholes.

humblestumble
03-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Well, I don't have a Singer, I have a Kenmore, two of them actually, and I LOVE my new baby. It can sew through anything so far! 5 layers of Denim's the toughest thing yet that I've sewn. Cotton and Muslin are the lightest I've sewn.

I don't know what your spending range is, but I think the money's worth it for my machine. I don't think it's expensive at all.

It's 200 bucks, US.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=KENM&pid=02016221000

It does all the basic stuff, plus a little more. I strongly recommend it. I have a Kenmore Mini ultra too, but that thing shakes too much because of it's lightweight, and can't sew through anything that's very thick.

cheesiesmom
03-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Kenmore used to be made by White and may still be. I've had a Kenmore for 35 years and it still works fine, but I'd like to get rid of it and buy something small and compact. I don't make my own clothes or anything any more, just repairs. I don't need this machine with all of the bells and whistles plus the serger plus the cabinet that holds them both. Any my DD doesn't do anything "crafty" so no one to pass it onto. I'm definitely looking to downsize (cheaply). I'd be interested in what you finally get.

Jan in CA
03-05-2006, 01:47 PM
I have a Kenmore and it's been a great sewing machine. Needs cleaning now though. :rollseyes:

silveridger
03-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks everyone! I've decided to hold off ordering anything online until I can run into the local sew & vac shop and look at the machines on their floor, both new and used. We actually have a Sears in the next town (60 miles away,) so I may drive up there and try theirs out as well.You've probably saved me a bunch of moolah. I'll let you know what I end up with...

Celine
03-06-2006, 05:55 AM
I bought a new sewing machine last year and it's a computerized BROTHER. I bought it at Walmart after doing a LOT of research on line on the features I wanted a machine to have. It did not cost an arm and a leg either. :lol:

Another great online source is All Brands.com. I bought my embroidery machine from them and it arrived in only three days! That too is a Brother. good luck in your search.