PDA

View Full Version : Starsky!!!

Pages : 1 [2]

dustinac
05-09-2006, 12:06 PM
:cheering: Looks Great Jax!!! I didn't work on mine over the weekend did a simple tank for my little girl.. I keep making the craziest mistakes.. miscounting or forgetting to do the p or k before beginning the chart.. I think I need to rewrite the inst. for me :rofling:

Friskums
05-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Ok, finally got my stuff here (at work) today so I'm starting on one of the sleeves.

Monday-realized on my way to work that I can do the belt and/or sleeves at work still
Tuesday-brought everything to work on the sleeves...except the needles. :doh:
Wednesday-finally get to work on the sleeve

catownedanna
05-11-2006, 02:05 AM
I find myself sighing in the morning when I see the clear blue sky. I want it to be a bit overcast so I can use my Starsky!!! :rofling:

Andrea
05-11-2006, 04:33 AM
frisky, your avatar is so cute!! :D

Friskums
05-11-2006, 10:58 AM
frisky, your avatar is so cute!! :D
Thanks. ^_^

I normally don't like using someone else's pic/animation for my av, but that kitten is just too cute to pass up. ^_^ :heart:

Friskums
05-11-2006, 03:32 PM
I finished my first sleeve! ^_^!!!

I showed Jason(guy at work) and he's all "That's the hottest sleeve I've ever seen."

Told Doug('nother guy at work) Jason said that, Doug's all "I'll go in on that."

I'm so happy I made a sleeve! :mrgreen: :happydance:

...Now lets just hope the second one comes out the same.

Friskums
05-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Second sleeve is finished. Almost done with the back too. Few more inches left to go I think.

Got some more presents to make, so Starsky's on hold again for a while.

catownedanna
05-16-2006, 05:32 AM
It's clouded and raining a bit today!!! :D :heart: :cheering:

I'm wearing my Starsky!!!

kimmie
05-17-2006, 10:33 PM
It's clouded and raining a bit today!!! :D :heart: :cheering:

I'm wearing my Starsky!!!

It's cloudy and raining here today and I don't have a Starsky to wear! :crying: I have been admiring everyone else's so much that I have read the whole thread many times. I think I'll just have to get some yarn and start. I just can't decide between the natural and the cranberry color. Decisions, decisions!

kimmie

Friskums
05-17-2006, 11:23 PM
I just can't decide between the natural and the cranberry color. Decisions, decisions!
kimmie

I say go with Cranberry. :thumbsup:

catownedanna
05-18-2006, 01:02 AM
I just can't decide between the natural and the cranberry color. Decisions, decisions!

It's difficult to choose colour! I think the Starskys have all looked great, no matter what colour they were knit in. Mine is done in Natural and I'm very happy with the choice. I think it makes Starsky look "lighter" to make it wearable in the summer too. I don't think I would find Starsky in black (or any other dark colour) to be a summer cardigan. No matter what the temperature says...

To me it also made sense to make Starsky in Natural as I have some colourful t-shirts I like to wear. I can mix 'n match better with Natural than I could've with Cranberry. (But then again, ask my mother, sister andboufriend if they think I match my clothes and they would all say no... They just don't see it as I do. :D )

sfavereau
05-18-2006, 10:52 AM
I made mine in Cranberry and I love it! It's gotten far too warm to wear it in the last week or so, but I keep it handy in case the evenings are cool. I think you have to pick a color you know you'll wear.

kimmie
05-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Well, you all have really good points. Maybe I'll have to make BOTH the Cranberry and the Natural! :shock: ;)

I do think that the Natural would match with more things. On the other hand, I think that Cranberry probably will look better with my coloring, so I'd be happier wearing it, even if it wouldn't go with as many outfits. So, I think I'll probably go with the Cranberry. For now.

What amazes me is how quickly you all seemed to knit this hugenormous sweater. It's taking me ages just to order the yarn! I'm afraid it will take me forever to knit due to the sheer size and the banana tree design. I can see from the pictures though that it will be well worth it and eventually, I too can look forward to cold, rainy days!

:heart: kimmie

sfavereau
05-18-2006, 11:16 PM
It would've taken me forever to knit my Starsky, but at the time I knitted it, I was on the verge of depression and it became my "outlet" for all my anxiety. It worked!!!!!!!!

catownedanna
05-19-2006, 07:32 AM
Maybe I'll have to make BOTH the Cranberry and the Natural!

That sounds like the perfect idea!!! :D :cheering:

It took me less than four weeks to knit it all. I spent some time on it almost every night and on weekends also during the day. I brought the sleeves and belt to work and used my breaks to get some done.

It worked!!!!!!!!

I'm glad to hear that!!! :heart: And I can imagine how special Starsky is to you, knowing that you worked on it during a dificult period of your life.

Sue Madelin
05-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Hi Guys, loving all the gorgeous Starskys!

I really wanted to make this too but the yarn that I have is Jaeger Shetland Aran which is worsted weight and I can't get my tension to match the pattern. With the suggested needle size the tension swatch is both too short and too narrow. With bigger needles I managed to get 16 sts to be 4" in width but was about 1/2" short on length.

I've just re-read the whole post and noticed that catownedanna and knitqueen both had different gauges. I'm not confident about changing the pattern to match my gauge - how do you do that and is it very complicated?

I don't know whether to just find another pattern to use for my yarn instead? I've got 10 balls of the Jaeger each of which is 100g and about 180 yds and the swatches I knitted felt lovely and soft and quite drapey (? Is that a word? - I mean drapes well!) - it is 80% wool, 20& alpaca.

Oh decisions, decisions :thinking:

I'm just not sure I could cope with all the adjustments required to the shapings by not having the right number of rows in my gauge.

What do you think? Would I be mad to try? I'm not the best mathematician and I find following patterns to be quite tricky unless I keep a note of each row on a piece of paper and tick them off as I go.

I might do some googling to see how to adjust a pattern when your row gauge is off and then take it from there.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Sue

catownedanna
05-21-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm just not sure I could cope with all the adjustments required to the shapings by not having the right number of rows in my gauge.

As long as your stitch gauge is correct, you can do the maths quite easily. I thought it would be harder than it was as I had never knit a cardigan with set-in-sleeves before.

You have to correct for row gauge differences when you knit the armholes (on both front and back), the neckline shaping on the fronts and the sleeve caps. Actually not a very big.

If you end up having difficults, just let us know your actual row gauge and we'll help you out. It's just a matter of making sure that you spread out the decreases/increases correctly. Maybe decrease on every fifth row instead of every fourth.

I think you should go for it! :thumbsup:

knitqueen
05-21-2006, 04:23 PM
These are the instructions that I used to convert the pattern:
http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2004/11/multiplier_madn.html

If you are starting from scratch with a completely different yarn and completely different needle size you need to do quite a bit of math and it took me a long time to figure it all out. It actually burned me out on this project and I haven't finished it yet :( . So if you are willing to do it, go for it but be warned that if both your stitch and row gauges are off by a lot it will take many calculations to get it right. It IS possible though and quite rewarding!!

But like the above poster said, if it's just your row gauge that's off the calculations are much less and much easier. Good luck and shout back if you need help.

Sue Madelin
05-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys for your help.

After much deliberation and swatching I've decided to just go for it and knit up the back panel and see how it looks. If it really doesn't seem to be working then I'll just frog it and use the wool for something else.

So - watch this space and wish me luck - I'll report back my findings!

Sue Madelin
05-23-2006, 05:37 AM
Little update:-

The banana leaf pattern didn't show up on the size of needles needed to make the stitch gauge so I frogged it and I'm trying again with the needle size recommended by the yarn label. (I think the knitting was too loose because I was using size 10.5 needles and the yarn says to use size 7)

I've decided to follow the instructions for the XL size using the smaller needles in the hope that it will come out in the M size because of my different gauge - does that make sense? My calculations came up with a c/o number of stitches within 5 sts of the XL size so I figure that if I use the XL size stitch numbers with the M size measurements for length I might get the right size? That way I don't need to recalculate all the decreases.

That's the theory anyway! Here's hoping!

knitqueen
05-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Hmmmm, that's a smart idea!! wish I'd thought of it ;)

Friskums
05-23-2006, 08:35 PM
I started on the belt today at work. It's rather fun. I keep groping it because it just feels so neat. :rofling:

I'm waiting for my latest yarn purchases to arrive so I can finish my last project that needs to be done by June 1st. Thankfully it's only a hat, so it won't take long at all to knit up and get mailed out to the recipient.

So, I decided to cast on and "waste time" by knitting the belt to Starsky. I don't think I'm going to make it as long as they say though. My waist just isn't that big! 63 inches is taller than I am. :rofling:

Friskums
05-30-2006, 05:38 PM
I finished the belt. And the back...again. ;)

So, just got the left and right front panels and then collar. ^_^ :happydance:

And it looks soooooooooooooooo much better than my first time. I'm so glad I decided to redo it. :thumbsup:

Edit: Is anyone else still working on theirs? :(

knitqueen
05-30-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm looking at mine every once in a while, does that count?? I can console myself in the fact that I do have BOTH sleeves done already. And the back piece of course. Now to figure out the front pieces and get them done, if I actually did it probably wouldn't take very long but I always seem to find something else to work on. One day soon, hopefully! ;)

Glad to hear that you're doing so well and that you're happy with your decision to re-start. Can't wait to see a pic or two.

Friskums
05-30-2006, 06:07 PM
hehehe... Well, it's the thought that counts. ;)

I'll take some pics tonight of everything I have done. Got some other FO's to post too.

Friskums
05-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Group Photo: (from left to right=starsky sleeves, jason's hat, krystiy's slippers, starsky back, and across the top is starsky belt)
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/group.jpg

Starsky:
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/back.jpg
Back
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/closeup.jpg
Close up of back
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/sleeves.jpg
Sleeves. One is an inch longer than the other. I don't know how it happened. I think I can hide it in the cuff, though.

knitqueen
05-30-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm so glad to see your progress!! You're as far as I am with it.....DON'T STOP NOW!!!! ;) But really, it looks fantastic. You are very brave to knit in black, I have such a hard time seeing the stitches when using black yarn. I must be getting old :lol: (I am turning 30 this summer!) ;)

catownedanna
05-31-2006, 03:06 AM
Glad to see your progress, Frisky!!! :D It looks great!

knitqueen
06-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Well, I got out all my charts and Starsky paraphanalia last night (remember, I was the overly ambitious one who decided to make it out of worsted weight with size 8 needle :rollseyes: ) and I think I'm pretty much ready to go on the front left and right pieces, up to the neckline shaping anyways, I haven't figured that part out yet. I think I have enough yarn to finish it too so I should just go for it. I'd like to finish the second of my summer slippers (should be done today) and buy another ball of yarn and finished the Lucky Clover Wrap first and then back onto Starsky. I'm trying to FORCE myself to not start anything else new until these are done. I'm the queen of unfinished projects :oops: .

Friskums
06-01-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm so glad to see your progress!! You're as far as I am with it.....DON'T STOP NOW!!!! ;)

Doubt that will happen. It's the only project I've got to work on. (Except for the stupid heart pillow I'm making for a co-worker. I HATE those things. Wish I had known that before I said I'd make it. :lol: But, it's almost done anyway.)

The panels go by so much quicker than the back. :lol:
I mark each row when I'm done with it (I have a bunch of little boxes I'm coloring in that correspond to the row) and it seems like I just get done coloring one when I start coloring another. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I could never have done all the math and calculations you did to completely convert it. I applaud you! ^_^

Friskums
06-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Finished the left front panel! With only one or two mistakes. I'm so happy. ^_^

It seems so narrow though. I hope it'll fit. :pray: And that the second one will come out the same as the first! :pray: :pray:

knitqueen
06-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Don't forget about the collar too. That will add quite a bit of width :thumbsup:

Friskums
06-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Oh, yeah.

Well, I tried to get it to lay flat, but was kind of a pain since I don't have any way of pining it to stay down.

Compared to the width the pattern says, it's 1/2 an inch skinnier. But, I'm going to get it to lay flat better at home and measure again.

And even if it is 1/2 too skinny, I don't think it'll make -that- big of a difference.

catownedanna
06-02-2006, 02:04 AM
And even if it is 1/2 too skinny, I don't think it'll make -that- big of a difference.

Nah, it won't... But if you find that the fronts are a little too narrow, just add a couple of rows on the collar! :D

Friskums
06-02-2006, 09:38 AM

Nah, it won't... But if you find that the fronts are a little too narrow, just add a couple of rows on the collar! :D

Good idea! :thumbsup:

Angelia
06-04-2006, 09:02 AM
I am not pleased with Starsky. The pattern on the back is uneven--on one side it has 6 stitches before the cabling, and on the other, 9. (There are three pattern-repeats in the size I'm making.) This wonkiness is what the pattern calls for--it's not my bad math.

My concern is that the banana tree pattern is going to be a bit off-center in the back. :( The more I look at it, the more it irritates me, which is why I haven't knit on it in awhile. I keep thinking it will all work out, but I can't see how.

Here's a photo of my progress--I haven't posted this in the KAL thread yet! ( :oops: ) I don't know if the 6/9 edges are clear enough in the photo, but the difference is staggering IRL.

Any thoughts?

knitqueen
06-04-2006, 09:32 AM
I adjusted the ribbing to be a 3x4 (k3p4) sequence instead of the one it gives so that the ribs line up with the ribs in the banana tree pattern. And as for the other issue, I can't help you there because I completely reworked the pattern for worsted yarn anyways. Maybe someone else will chime in?

dustinac
06-04-2006, 11:45 AM
I just can't get into mine.. Angelia your further than me on it... I haven't touched it in so long.. I couldn't wait to knit this and now :rollseyes: I don't know what it is.. I think its cause I have to wait for the kids to be in bed and then I keep forgetting to work the knits and purls before the chart and have to rework it.. I'm hoping to get back into this before the summer is over I'd love to have it done by fall.. I don't know if it would work out or not I really need to work on mine and see if my pattern is coming out center or not... :shock:

Sue Madelin
06-04-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm knitting the XL size (cos I'm using worsted weight wool) and so I have 11 and 14 stitches each end of the pattern and I kept thinking to myself "why didn't they just even out the stitches - cos now the pattern will be off centre?"

But then I realised that the extra 3 stitches at one end are taken into account by the fact that the last 3 stitches of the pattern are the same as the last 11 stitches of the row so you actually do get 14 stitches the same at each end of the row. Because I had split all the sections up with stitch markers I didn't actually notice that when I had finished a pattern repeat with, for example, 3 purl stitches the next 11 stitches were also purl giving me 14 purl stitches at the beginning - before the patterns - and 14 at the end!

Does that make sense?? :??

But - I wish I'd read about making the ribbing K3P4 because the out of alignment ribs drive me mad!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: However, having done about 12 inches of the back which has taken me forever I'm not ripping it out!

Angelia
06-04-2006, 05:17 PM
I think I'm going to frog what little I've done and knit something else. As Ingy told me in my blog, I need to want to marry whatever I make since I'm knitting in in Mmmmmmalabrigo. I don't even want a tea break with what I have. ;)

dustinac
06-04-2006, 05:36 PM
I've never got to feel it or see it person but from what I read I need too.... thats like my Sierra I got from KP with my b-day money and now can't get into it.. and have no idea why.. when its all I talked about and couldn't wait to start.. drove everyone I know crazy with color choices and sizes :lol:

Angelia
06-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Oh, I know exactly what you mean, Dustina! I think I need to go fondle the Mmmmalabrigo...I need inspiration!

knitqueen
06-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Sue, I know exactly what you mean. I realized that too, why the stitch pattern repeat seems 'off' but actually isn't.

catownedanna
06-05-2006, 04:21 AM
I am not pleased with Starsky.

:verysad: :verysad: :verysad: Oh, I don't want to hear that... Yours was the Starsky that was going to make our Starskys feel envious!!!

Starsky is a great cardigan, and if you don't want to "waste" your gorgeous yarn, use another one. Starsky doesn't need that fancy yarn as it has the pattern it has. Your gorgeous yarn would make a perfect somethingelse. :heart:

About the wonkiness and the cabling being shifted. As the others have said here, it's not. The extra three stitches are in the pattern repeat already. But it might look wonky as the ribbing doesn't line up with the cabling pattern. I changed my ribbing and have the tree stems coming up from 2 knit stitches on the back (with 2 purlstitches on either side) and on the front panels my tree stems come up from 2 purl stitches (or I couldn't get the sides to match up). You can see it if you check out my pictures on page 16 in this thread. At least the back ones.

Don't give up on Starsky but maybe change the yarn to somehting simpler. That would make our Starskys feel better too! :heart: ;)

Angelia
06-05-2006, 06:46 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I didn't realize that my Starsky was going to have such an effect on the others! :rofling:

The cable pattern can't help but be off unless I go in three stitches on one side when doing the seam. The pattern is an inch (3 stitches) off center. And it's very evident, though I don't know if you can tell from the photo.

I did :frog: it last night...but you're right, Anna, that I can make it with a less delicious yarn. And who knows, I might actually feel inspired enough to rewrite the pattern entirely to fix the lopsidedness of the original. I still love the style of the sweater.

catownedanna
06-05-2006, 07:28 AM
I didn't realize that my Starsky was going to have such an effect on the others!

Of course it would!!! With that fancy yarn!!! ;)

I don't understand how your cables could be shifted if you follow the directions. :?? You're knitting either a small or a medium (as you had three pattern repeats) and that calls for 78(S)/84(M) stitches on the needle. After the ribbing, you first knit 9/12 stitches before you start the 3 repeats of the 21-stitch pattern (=63/63) and then you finish the row with another knit 6/9. That makes for 78/84 stitches and as the cable pattern ends with 3 knit stitches both stockinette stitch parts on the sides of the cables end up being 9/12 stitches wide.

Are you maybe reading the chart the wrong direction? On row 1 you'll start at the bottom right (after the 9/12 knit stitches you'll do 3 purl stitches and then your first twist - and the last three stitches (the white ones between the number row and the darker purl stitches) are knit stitches that are supposed to be followed by 6/9 other knit stitches) and the WS rows are read from left to right...

Clear as mud, right? :D

(I know there was a correction made on the pattern for the front panels but if you've recently printed the driections, you'll be fine there. I made a M and didn't find anything wrong with the maths on it...)

Angelia
06-05-2006, 07:52 AM
Oh it's the 6/9 thing that is the problem. Those 3 extra stitches on one side look awful. :(

catownedanna
06-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Oh it's the 6/9 thing that is the problem. Those 3 extra stitches on one side look awful.

Don't find me stubborn. Please. ;)

But I can't see that there is anything wrong with the pattern. My expression 6/9 was my attempt at writing 6 stitches if you were knitting an S and 9 stitches if you were knitting an M. The / spearates sizes and not different sides on the same size.

So, assuming you're knitting an S (CO 78 stitches). Check out the line of letters below... (k=knit, o=cable pattern) This is what your back will look like knitted up:

kkkkkk ooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooo kkkkkkkkk

Looking at it, it looks shifted and wrong BUT the first three o:s (looking at it knitted up, when knitting, it's the three last o:s on the RS) in each pattern repeat are k:s. Which means that it looks like this:

kkkkkk kkkoooooooooooooooooo kkkoooooooooooooooooo kkkoooooooooooooooooo kkkkkkkkk

Now, you can see that the row will look like this:

kkkkkkkkk oooooooooooooooooo kkk oooooooooooooooooo kkk oooooooooooooooooo kkkkkkkkk

Now, you've casted on 78 stitches. We have 9 stitches knit in stockinette on both sides. That leaves us 78-2*9=60 stitches in the middle. Cut that in half and you get 30 stitches. Count 30 stitches from both sides (after and before the stockinette) and you end up with the middle of the back where you find the red I.

kkkkkkkkk oooooooooooooooooo kkk ooooooooo I ooooooooo kkk oooooooooooooooooo kkkkkkkkk

Can you see it now? How the middle becomes the middle as three knit stitches from the pattern "marries" the stockinette on the sides?

Andrea
06-05-2006, 09:23 AM
:?? I'm scared to start it now that Angelia has brought Starsky Controversy to the table!!! :shock:

And now we're talking math??????????????????????? :shock: :shock:

Ingrid
06-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Listen to Anna. She makes perfect sense!

DianaM
06-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Might take me a year to learn to knit well enough to attempt it but I'm sure going to :D

Sue Madelin
06-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Just a quick Starsky Question.

When knitting the back you continue knitting until it measures a certain length before starting the armhole shaping. Question is - do I keep knitting until my 12 rows of pattern are finished even if it makes the back longer or do I stop knitting the pattern as soon as I reach the right length?

In other words - do I start the bind offs in the middle of a banana tree or should I wait until it's finished even if it makes the back about .75 of an inch longer than the pattern says it should be?

Am I making sense??? I can't figure out if it matters or not and I can't bear the thought of going wrong and having to frog that timeconsuming pattern!

Thanks
Sue

Friskums
06-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Just a quick Starsky Question.

When knitting the back you continue knitting until it measures a certain length before starting the armhole shaping. Question is - do I keep knitting until my 12 rows of pattern are finished even if it makes the back longer or do I stop knitting the pattern as soon as I reach the right length?

In other words - do I start the bind offs in the middle of a banana tree or should I wait until it's finished even if it makes the back about .75 of an inch longer than the pattern says it should be?

Am I making sense??? I can't figure out if it matters or not and I can't bear the thought of going wrong and having to frog that timeconsuming pattern!

Thanks
Sue

You start the decreases/shaping when it measures the right length. Regardless of where it is in the 12 rows of pattern. Cuz you keep the pattern going anyway. :thumbsup:

And I'm done with everything except seaming and the collar! :happydance: I've never seamed something liek this before. I'm skeeeeeered. :help: Anyone have any tips for a first time seamer? Do I do the sides to the back first, then the sleeves?

knitqueen
06-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Do the shoulder seams first. Then sew in the sleeves corresponding to the armholes. Lastly you will seam the length of the sleeve and the side seams. You can do these last two in one swipe if you like because it forms one long seam.

If you did the front pieces to the back piece first it would be much trickier to fit the sleeves in properly.

Friskums
06-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Ok, thanks! ^_^

catownedanna
06-07-2006, 09:48 AM

Well, you never stop knitting in pattern...

So, when you reach the right lenght, you BO whatever amount of stitches the pattern calls for and then you keep on knitting in pattern, BO on the next side (these BO will be done on two different rows but it won't mess things upp in the end!) and go on making decreases as you knit in pattern.

Hope you figure it out! I don't know what size you're knitting but I'd suggest using a pencil on your chart when doing the decreases so you know where you are in the pattern as you have to keep an edge of 3 stockinette stitches on either side when shaping for the armholes.

Anyone have any tips for a first time seamer? Do I do the sides to the back first, then the sleeves?

I would start as knitqueen tells you but instead of doing the sleeve and side seam as one, I'd sdo them separately and have the seams meeting up in the armhole. If there's any wonkiness with your seaming you can hide it in the armhole... :thumbsup:

catownedanna
06-08-2006, 02:37 AM
Okey, Angelia!!! I'm not giving up... I saw in your blog that you still think you see "wonkiness" in the pattern. I'll give it one last shot...

I'm assuming you're making an S and that you have 78 stitches on your needle. The original instructions tell you to "K9, 3 repeats of the 21-stitch pattern, K6", which basically is: "K9, 21-stitch pattern, 21-stitch pattern, 21-stitch pattern, K6". That makes for 9 + 21 + 21 + 21 + 6 = 78 stitches.

Visually it would be (with a 21-stitch pattern as &):

kkkkkkkkk & & & kkkkkk (Now, THIS looks wonky!!! BUT!!!)

We can devide the 21-stitch pattern into two parts. One consists of 3 knit stitches (kkk) and one consists of 18-stitch pattern (*). Are you following?

Now we can substitute each "21-stitch pattern" in the original instructions with "18-stitch pattern, K3" and the instruction can be written as:

"K9, 18-stitch pattern, K3, 18-stitch pattern, K3, 18-stitch pattern, K3, K6". This makes for 9 + 18 + 3 + 18 + 3 + 18 + 3 + 6 = 78 stitches.

Visually it would be (with * as 18-stitch pattern and kkk as the K3):

kkkkkkkkk * kkk * kkk * kkk kkkkkk

Adding the K3 and K6 in the end, we get K9.

kkkkkkkkk * kkk * kkk * kkkkkkkkk

This means that the back is made up by a 9-stitch stockinette, a Banana Tree, 3-stitch stockinette, a Banana Tree, 3-stitch stockinette, a Banana Tree, 9-stitch stockinette. Look at it again:

kkkkkkkkk * kkk * kkk * kkkkkkkkk

Where is the middle? In the middle of the middle Banana Tree!!!

Did this help, Angelia??? :pray: (Never thought I'd ever use that emicon! :D )

Sue Madelin
06-08-2006, 03:31 AM
Hey Anna,

As you seem to the the resident Starsky guru can I ask you a question?

Don't know if you remember or not but when you were decreasing the back for the armholes did your end pattern repeats have the same number of stitches before the 3 stocking stitches at the end?

I've been following the pattern very closely but I noticed last night that I have two extra stitches in the pattern on one side. Does this matter do you think? Have I made a mistake?

Please, please tell me I don't have to rip out my shaping :( .

I'm really not sure how much 2 stitches difference will show because I'm knitting the XL size but with worsted weight wool and size 7 needles so my stitches are quite small.

Any advice will be very gratefully received - many thanks in anticipation! ;)

catownedanna
06-08-2006, 04:26 AM
As you seem to the the resident Starsky guru can I ask you a question?

:oops:

Don't know if you remember or not but when you were decreasing the back for the armholes did your end pattern repeats have the same number of stitches before the 3 stocking stitches at the end?

That got me :?? :?? :?? . I'm not really sure what you're asking...

Do you have the right amount of stitches on your needle or are you saying that you have 2 extras?

When you say that you have two more stitches "on one side", are taking into consideration that the pattern also has knit stitches in it? The three stitches that form the stockinette part "between" the patterns. And also exist at the end of one side. If you have stitchmarkers placed between the pattern repeats and included the 3 knit stitches, it will look like you have more stitches on one side than the other.

The number two makes me insecure though... You might have forgot to make decreases on one side or made one too many on one... Count to see if you have the right amount of stitches on your needle, according to what row you're knitting on. If that is alright, I think everything is okey.

If not... I'd count my way towards the middle of the stitches on the needle. That way you should be able to see if you have more stitches on one side than the other (as the Banana Tree is positioned in the middle of the back. Right, Angelia? ;) ). The stem is not always exactly in the middle, you have to check on the row you're knitting to see where the middle should be.

If you have finished the decreases and realize that you forgot one, you could make them later. It will change the symmetry between the different sides but I don't think anyone else will notice...

Hope this helped a bit... :D If not, come back and ask again! I'll do my best to help.

Sue Madelin
06-08-2006, 04:41 AM
Thanks Anna,

I do have the correct number of total stitches - and I'm keeping the end 3 stitches as stockinette - it's just one pattern repeat has two more stitches than the pattern repeat the other end!

I'm really not sure whether it is a problem or not and seeing as I have the right number of total stitches I think I'll just go with it. I'll check now where the middle is and I expect as you rightly say I'll find it is in the right place and I'm just getting muddled with the slightly odd way the pattern repeat includes the extra 3 stitches of stocking stitch!

Many thanks - and I meant that you're the Starsky guru in a good way - you did realise that didn't you? I wasn't being sarcastic or nasty - I was praising your ability and your generous help with us latecomers. :heart:

Friskums
06-08-2006, 01:43 PM
I suck at seaming. T_T

Oh well....

[Edited to add: Ok, I think I've got it. Wow, that's so cool! ^_^ You can't even tell.]

Sue Madelin
06-08-2006, 05:49 PM
*side note to Anna*

Guess who can't count? It is 3 stitches difference which is of course the pattern!

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!

Silly me :oops:

catownedanna
06-09-2006, 01:28 AM
*side note to Anna*

Guess who can't count? It is 3 stitches difference which is of course the pattern!

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!

Silly me

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: (And I'm not cheering for you saying that you're silly, but for you finding out that there wasn't any mistakes in your Starsky!!!)

I'm glad everything is as it should be! :thumbsup:

Friskums
06-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Woo hoo! Starsky is all seamed up!

I've just started on the collar. I should have waited, like the directions say, but I was just too eager to get my first seamed project all done. It's heavy on the needles now. :lol:

Oh well, it mostly just sits on my desk at work anyway.

I'm so close to finishing, and I just don't want to do it anymore. :rollseyes:

knitqueen
06-09-2006, 06:59 PM
You can do it!!!!! Nearly there! :thumbsup:

Friskums
06-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Well, I've been putting off finishing, for some reason. I don't know why. I'm so close. :rollseyes:

Figured I'd get started again and get this bad boy done.
Question though: Is a "w&t" the same as just a "wrap"? Just a different way of saying it?

Friskums
06-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Well, I've been putting off finishing, for some reason. I don't know why. I'm so close. :rollseyes:

Figured I'd get started again and get this bad boy done.
Question though: Is a "w&t" the same as just a "wrap"? Just a different way of saying it?
Nevermind. Got it answered. ^_^

Couple of more wraps and turns and then jsut the 3 inches of ribbing. Ok...I can do this! :happydance:

Sue Madelin
06-19-2006, 08:00 AM
PHHHEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

Got the back and the two fronts finished at last!!!!!!!!! :cheering:

Much as I enjoyed the challenge of the banana tree pattern I'm not sorry to see the back of it - it caused me much tinking!!!!!!!!! Especially when shaping the armholes and neck.

I'm about 2/3rd of the way through the first sleeve - but I'm trying not to think about how much I still have to do - I'm just concentrating on enjoying knitting it and one day I'll find it's finished.

Ive got the back and two fronts already blocked because that is my least favourite part - even hate it more than seaming!

I'll post a WIP photo when I've got a minute.

Right - now I need to go and buy some DPNs for the belt!
:D

Friskums
06-19-2006, 01:48 PM
I loved making the belt. It's just so cool, how it develops! (At least, that's how I feel about it).

Congrats on your progress. ^_^

catownedanna
06-20-2006, 04:52 AM
Happy to read about the progress you're all making!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Can't wait to see the finished Starskies!

Friskums
06-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Starsky is done! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
It's a little shorter than I would have liked. But...that's ok.

I'm thinking of adding pockets too at some point. I love pockets.

And now, without further ado...
Starsky!!
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/donefront1.jpg
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/donefront2.jpg
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/doneback.jpg

Andrea
06-23-2006, 06:18 AM
:cheering: :inlove: :cheering: :inlove:

Great job!!!

Sue Madelin
06-23-2006, 07:01 AM
Fantastic!!!!!!!!!

I like the edge of your collar - is that how it comes out when following the pattern instructions or did you do something different?

I'm on the collar right now - I've got 297 stitches!!!!!!!! It's taking me forever :( But I'm enjoying it - even though I'm now desperate to finish so I can start knitting with my enormous stash of WOTA!

Well Done You!!!!!!!!!!

Friskums
06-23-2006, 11:37 AM
That's just how it came out. (On the back pic it's flipped up a little)

Yeah, the collar was a pain. I picked up the stitches wrong on part of it. But, since it's folded over anyway, you can't really tell. :lol:

Sue Madelin
06-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Hoorayyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm done!

I've not done the belt yet because I'm not sure I want one - and also my DPNs haven't arrived yet - boo!

Here are a couple of photos - I'll get my DH to take one of me wearing it once I've worked out how to make a fastening for it.

Andrea
06-26-2006, 08:59 AM
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

:heart: Love that color, Sue!!! I can't wait to start mine! I just gotta finish some of these baby gifts first!!

knitqueen
06-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Hoorayyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm done!

I've not done the belt yet because I'm not sure I want one - and also my DPNs haven't arrived yet - boo!

Here are a couple of photos - I'll get my DH to take one of me wearing it once I've worked out how to make a fastening for it.

It looks great!! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure why the pattern asks you to use dpns for the belt :?? . The whole thing is knit a row, turn, knit a row, turn, etc. so I don't see why dpns are necessary.

Friskums
06-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Congrats! ^_^ Looks great! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure why the pattern asks you to use dpns for the belt :?? . The whole thing is knit a row, turn, knit a row, turn, etc. so I don't see why dpns are necessary.

I was trying to figure that out too. There's no need for DPN's. I just used my circs (knitting flat...same as I did for the rest of the sweater). Worked for me. :thumbsup:

mulene
06-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Hoorayyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm done!

Grats! I also like that colour =D

catownedanna
06-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Looks great, Sue!!! :thumbsup:

I'm so happy to see another finished Starsky!!!

SimplyKaar
06-26-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm in love :inlove:

Marked the pattern and I think I may have yarn for it but I'm not sure yet if I'm able to make it yet.
I do love it though, thanks guys for showing us your finished projects!! They did finally convince me that this is something I'd actually wear when I make it :thumbsup:

Sue Madelin
06-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys!

I'm wearing it now! After weather in the high 20s C (I think that's about 70s to 80s in F) for the last few weeks or so today was raining and really rather chilly - happily!!!!!!!

It is so comfy! I thought as I was knitting it that I would like the end result but I have to say that it has actually exceeded my expectations! The pattern shows up beautifully in real life and it is so snuggly and it fits beautifully.

I'm so glad that I took such a long time swatching - deciding to knit the XL size due to my worsted weight yarn worked out really well - the result is a size M which has the most perfect drape and texture.

I'm really happy!!!!!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

catownedanna
06-27-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm really happy!!!!!!!!

And if you're happy, we're happy!!! :D

Sue Madelin
07-11-2006, 04:07 PM
What's Starsky doing all the way down there!

I just wanted to post a little post to say that I wore my Starsky on Sunday night - we had an outdoor evening picnic and it was a little chilly but i was as warm as toast! - and one of my friends who knows I knit asked if I had knitted it. Then another of my friends who didn't know that I have started to knit said "Wow - you knit that????? It looks bought - and I'm a knitter!!!!"

So I was very proud - aswell as cosy and warm. :happydance:

So I want to inspire any Starsky-ers who have not yet finished and maybe encourage a few more to start!

This is probably my favourite of the 4 sweaters that I have knitted so far!

So if you're thinking about it then just go for it - you'll be glad you did!

Oh and by the way - I still haven't made the belt so I wore it with a lovely flower brooch as a fastener and it was very comfy - and I think without the belt it is a more versatile wear.

Friskums
07-11-2006, 04:52 PM
I wear mine every day at work. :heart: :happydance: I hardly ever wear it with the belt.

I've been thinking of making another one. In one of these colors:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/b0b_kat/000330.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/b0b_kat/000228.jpg

I'd make it a little longer, if I did make it again.

Andrea
07-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Ohhh I like those colors! I can't pick a favorite!!

I can't wait to start mine!

Friskums
07-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Whatcha waitin for?! ;) :rofling:

sara_jayne
07-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Whatcha waitin for?! ;) :rofling:

She's waiting for ME!!! :rofling:

Finish that darn baby afghan so you can work on Starsky! Maybe you'll finish the baby afghan the same day my silly backordered yarn arrives on my porch, then we can knit Starsky together! :happydance:

Andrea
07-12-2006, 09:49 AM
:roflhard:
I'm bringing my afghan on Saturday, so I'll try to get a lot done there (Ha! that's funny!!! :roflhard: )

Andrea
07-18-2006, 02:44 AM
I cast on tonight, but I'm already stuck :( I've never done cables and I just don't get it yet... :( :(

I'm going to practice some more. I understand Amy's cable videos fine, but this one is different since you're only slipping one stitch to the cable needle :thinking:

catownedanna
07-18-2006, 03:09 AM
I'm going to practice some more. I understand Amy's cable videos fine, but this one is different since you're only slipping one stitch to the cable needle

You know what, Andrea? That is the only difference!!! Do just as Amy does but slip one stitch on to the cable needle (or DPN or whatever you're using) and do the required knit or purl stitch.

I recommend you try the pattern out before casting on for the actual Starsky. It might take some rows beofre you find the right tension and get all the "fronts" and "backs" correct, and if you leave that on your Starsky you might not like the finished product too mch.

Colour code the chart and it'll be much easier too! In the end you'll know what to do when you reach a blue or red or orange cable (or "twist" as Ingrid taught me that one stitch cables are called)...

There's a great way to make cables without using a cable needle. It takes more practise in the beginning but makes cables easier in the end as you don't have to work with a third needle. Check this (http://wendyknits.net/knit/cablelesson.htm) out for dofferent cables. (You'll be doing it a bit differently on Starsky as you have cables that are both knit and purled and so on but the slipping will be the same. Sort of. :D

I'm sooo excited you're making Starsky!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Sue Madelin
07-18-2006, 04:28 AM
Andrea,

I found the pattern very confusing and time consuming too at first. It took me ages to complete my first 12 rows of pattern - but it does get easier I promise!

A tip I got from Amanda was to stick the cable needle into your knitting vertically so that the stitch doesn't fall off whilst you are knitting the stitch next to it (if that makes sense!)

Other tips I picked up here at KH were:-

Colour coding - definitely the way to go as far as I was concerned - in fact I also wrote K or P on every blank square because I could never remember whether I should be knitting or purling them - cos it depends on whether you are on a front or back side row!

Stitch markers between each 21 stitch repeat also ensured that a mistake was found before you reached the end of the row! (I found that sometimes if I was not concentrating I ended up going back the wrong way along a row!)

A post it note marking which row you are knitting is also useful so you don't find yourself jumping from row to row by mistake.

And finally - NO TV WHILE KNITTING THE PATTERN! Or any other distraction basically - I borrowed a audio book from the library specifically so that I would have something to do whilst knitting starsky that would not make me keep wanting to look away from my row. Looking up mid pattern was fatal.

I also make a conscious effort to keep telling myself that this was not a race to the finish - it was something that was challenging but ultimately satisfying to knit and it didn't matter how long it took. I tried not to think about how much I still had to knit because I'm desperately impatient and always want to be finished NOW!

And remember, if the pattern becomes too much at times you can always start the sleeves and belt for some mindless stocking stitch. That way when you have finished the patterned back and fronts you'll be nearly finished the whole thing!

Good luck and don't give up! You'll be really glad you stuck with it.

P.S. I had to look at the pattern for every single stitch that I knit - my mum who has lots of experience knitting cables said to me "surely that pattern is in your brain by now!!????!!" but with a 21 stitch, 12 row repeat I just don't think you could ever memorise it - and one day I might just challenge her to do so! :rofling:

Keep us posted on your progress :D

Andrea
07-18-2006, 05:13 AM
You two and your encouragements and advice is enough to make me cry! :heart: :heart: Here's my swatch... :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I will definitely color code my chart...just have to dig around for different color highlighters...

Thank you both for all the advice! My cable needle is aluminum, so I may try a DPN instead. And my "swatch" isn't really a swatch, but a practice for the pattern.

I think I'll like this! :D

Angelia
07-18-2006, 06:24 AM
That looks great, Andrea!!

Sue Madelin
07-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Your swatch looks just perfect :thumbsup:

Way to go Andrea!

It's so darn hot here - 33 degrees C (91? F) - I can't stand it. It's so hot I don't even want to go outside unless it's to my car which has air con - and then I don't want to get out when I reach my destination!

I want it to get cold so I can snuggle into my Starsky! :crying:

knitqueen
07-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Andrea, that looks great!!! :cheering:

Friskums
07-18-2006, 10:38 AM
It does look great Andrea! So glad you joined in. ^_^

Andrea
07-18-2006, 09:48 PM
I hope I'm doing this right...for the rib I decided I wanted slip stitch on the edges, so rather than add 1 stitch on each side, I just made the first knit stitch a slip and the last purl a knit. I'm wondering if I should have added 2 stitches :thinking:

What do you think? Did you guys do the slip stitch?

knitqueen
07-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Andrea, I think that's fine. You're not changing it so that you're doing the back and front pieces as one (in which case you'd want to subtract the side stitches), you're still going to be seaming it so there is no need to add or take away stitches at the edge. I've done a slipped stitch edge on a few things lately that have been seamed and I found that it makes it a whole lot easier to see where the stitches are and to match up the pieces as perfectly as possible.

Andrea
07-18-2006, 10:09 PM
That's how I feel...of course I didn't think of it until row 5 or so, so the bottom edges look wonky. I guess since I'm seaming it eventually I can deal with it and not frog...but it's very tempting to RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP!

sara_jayne
07-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Your swatch looks great, Andrea! :cheering:

I can't wait to get my yarn!

Sue Madelin
07-19-2006, 05:56 AM
I completely can't get my head around slipping the first stitch! :??

How does it work? And how does it make seaming easier? Doesn't it make the edges pull up?????

Questions, questions............ I guess I could just give it a try and see I suppose????

Friskums
07-19-2006, 10:33 AM
It stretches the stitch across two rows. It makes the edge neater. So it's easier to see where to seam, I guess. (I've done it on scarves ans stuff, but nothing I've had to seam so far.)

catownedanna
07-28-2006, 05:00 AM
How's everyone doing with Starsky??? I know there's a heat wave going around in both North America and Europe, and the thought of knitting a warm cardigan might not be too appealing, but...

Starsky IS worth it! :heart: ;)

Andrea
07-28-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm one banana leaf into the back. I had to set it aside temporarily to finish the stooooooopid baby blanket since the intended recipient is due in a couple weeks!!! :rofling:

Can't wait to pick it up again! Now that I bought myself some wooden cable needles, I'm a happy camper!! :happydance:

Andrea
08-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Here's a WIP picture...about 12 inches in...

Friskums
08-03-2006, 05:17 PM
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Lookin good! :thumbsup:

Andrea
08-03-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm 15 inches in and surprisingly I have a complete pattern repeat done in time, is that weird?
:thinking:

I'm a little nervous to start the decreases! :help:

catownedanna
08-04-2006, 01:57 AM
I'm 15 inches in and surprisingly I have a complete pattern repeat done in time, is that weird?

I'm a little nervous to start the decreases!

I don't really understand your question, Andrea. In time for what?

The decreases will work out just fine if you take notes on them. I used a pencil on the chart to mark the stitches I wasn't supposed to be knitting anymore.

You can do it! :thumbsup:

Andrea
08-04-2006, 05:29 AM
I mean "in time" by I had completely finished a leaf rather than starting the decreases in the middle of a leaf.

I'm not sure I'm doing it right. :( I keep messing up the SSK and K2TOGs and the Purl decreases...I don't know if I should frog or not. And I'm not really sure if I can figure out how to do the pattern. What happens if you start in the middle of the cable? Just do the second half of the cable?

I'm not feeling as :happydance: as I was when I was just doing the regular pattern :(

AmandaC
08-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Yes - if after the decrease and your 3 stst at the edge, the pattern then calls for half a cable - just knit or purl the 2nd stitch..... hope this doesn' confuse you more!

Friskums
08-04-2006, 09:24 AM
I used a pencil too to mark the chart so I knew at what point in the pattern I was starting on.

It was a little confusing at first, but after a few rows it wasn't so bad. You can dooooo eeeeeeeeett! :thumbsup:

Andrea
08-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I only have 2 more rows of the decreasing, then the 3 on each side. I'm hoping I'll be ok :help:

Sue Madelin
08-06-2006, 06:27 AM
You know what? Sometimes I think we fret too much about each individual stitch. When I started the decreasing I too was in a complete flap about it - but if you think about it logically - you're talking about one stitch in the whole back - which is probably going to be lost in the seaming anyway!

The completely Starsky will look fab - just try not to get bogged down by the trees and try to enjoy the whole forest!

:thumbsup:

Keep up the good work - and if you get stuck there's loads of clever people here who can help - I found them very helpful!

Andrea
08-09-2006, 09:11 AM
:woot: The back is done!! :woot:

The back is done! :blooby: The back is done! :blooby:

AmandaC
08-09-2006, 09:14 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

catownedanna
08-09-2006, 09:42 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

:blooby: :blooby: :blooby: (<- I like this guy!)

Andrea
08-09-2006, 09:59 AM
:blooby: :blooby:
Me too!!

Friskums
08-09-2006, 11:03 AM
:woohoo: :woohoo:

MMK
08-13-2006, 08:10 PM
I finished the collar, and it's a bit wonky on one lower front side. I think I picked up more stitches on one side than the other. I'm blocking the heck out of it right now and if that doesn't work I'll just frog the collar. It didn't take that long to do. I'm still not that happy with the way my wrapped stitches look. Is that something that comes with practice, like the kitchener stitch?

I know I'm going to love wearing this sweater. It's so springy and cozy.

kemp
08-14-2006, 10:55 AM
That looks fantastic Andrea!

Andrea
08-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks, Kempy! I put my socks away, so I'll be starting the front now! :blooby:

sara_jayne
08-14-2006, 03:56 PM
the back looks GREAT, Andrea! :cheering:

I got an e-mail from the place I ordered my yarn from..... :verysad: another 2 to 3 weeks now :verysad:

knitqueen
08-14-2006, 04:25 PM
That looks so great Andrea! :cheering:

I fear I will probably rip mine and never finish it :oops: I would love to make it, but with proper yarn that doesn't require my brain to hurt trying to figure out how to alter it.

You go girl!!!!! :blooby: ( <--- just wanted to use that guy)

Sue Madelin
08-15-2006, 05:54 AM
I got an e-mail from the place I ordered my yarn from..... :verysad: another 2 to 3 weeks now :verysad:

My goodness - are they actually breeding the sheep and spinning the wool themselves? You seem to have been waiting forever?????????????

Friskums
08-15-2006, 09:54 AM
the back looks GREAT, Andrea! :cheering:

Could you cancel your order and find someplace else? I did that when a site I ordered from had the yarn on back order for almost a month. :-x

sara_jayne
08-15-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure what is wrong! I ordered it from DiscountYarnSales.com because I could order a bag (10 balls) for about $15 cheaper than I could get it somewhere else. They told me it was on back order from Plymouth and would take 3-4 weeks - it has now been 4 and they e-mailed again to say it was still on back order and would take 2-3 more weeks. :wall: Part of me wants to cancel the order like Frisky said, but I have so many other things that I can work on (or am working on) that it isn't a big deal! It just puts me way behind on the KAL, but I'll still knit it!

I ordered a lovely blue color so I think they are waiting for a naturally blue sheep to be born! :grrr:

Andrea
08-15-2006, 01:01 PM
:wall: :wall: :wall:

Don't worry about being behind, we'll always be here! :heart:

domiknitrix
08-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Hey fellow starsky knitters, I just received my yarn - Knitpicks Sierra in Bud, but have not received my needles yet. Is the knit along still going on or is it about to close?

Andrea
08-16-2006, 09:53 AM
It's definitely going on still. I call this the "second wave"...I'm only on the left front...and SJ has still to get her yarn!

Come on in! :cheering:

Sue Madelin
08-17-2006, 06:44 AM
Ooh Ooh Ooh! Another Starsky'er! Fantastic.

And don't worry about being a late starter - Amanda is going to pull hers out and redo it because she didn't swatch properly before she started and has decided it is too small!

Naughty girl - I keep telling her to swatch! :yadda:

Now she has living proof that big sisters always know better! :flirt:

Andrea
08-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Oh no! I thought it looked fabulous on her!! Oh poo!

I didn't swatch either! If my older sister knit, she would say the same thing!

domiknitrix
08-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Questions.

Do you have to wash the swatch? I have seen that somewhere before. I never had to do it before and I am wondering does it make a difference. Thanks lady can't wait to dig in. I have been practicing the pattern. It takes a lot of concentration to remember which row I am on, hope it will come with time.

hydeemarie
08-21-2006, 09:16 PM
I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO want to knit this cardigan, but i dont have money to buy the yarn! :pout: i am 17, i need to get a job! good luck ladies! post picks!! :muah: :muah: :happydance:

Andrea
08-28-2006, 03:44 AM
Poor little Starsky thread sinkin' down the list :pout:

I'm still on the left front and STUCK. I worked the 14.25 inches (which I had actually worked until 15.5 or 15.75 and had to riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip back). Now I'm confused...first I'm confused because I ripped without even really noticing how many rows I ripped, so I'm not sure what row I'm on in the banana leaf pattern :grrr: I read through this thread and saw FK had the same question on page 14 or 15 re: the Shaping of the neckline and armholes. Let me state it again, because I'm not sure of the answers.

Under Shape Neckline the pattern states:
Next Row RS: Work in patt as set to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2. Mark with a safety pin at the end of the row.

Ok, 1st question--what is the reason for the safety pin? Am I just attaching it to the yarn?

Now, Work 7 rows in patt as set, maintaining 3 sts at neckline edge in stockinette st. Repeat these 8 rows 3 times more.

Ok, so at the end of each row, am I adding three stitches?

AT THE SAME TIME: When work measures 15 inches, ending with a WS row, shape armhole as follows: Next Row [RS]: BO 3 sts, work in patt as set to end. Work 1 row in patt as set
Is this 15 inches from the safety pin? Is this the reason for the safety pin????? Is it all coming to me now?? And the 3 I'm binding off here, is this the 3 sts from earlier at the neckline edge??

Thanks everyone. Hopefully I'll get it and be able to move on. At this point, I just hope to figure out where the :!!!: I am in the pattern!!! :roflhard:

:heart:

catownedanna
08-28-2006, 04:14 AM
Starsky Pattern wrote:
Under Shape Neckline the pattern states:
Next Row RS: Work in patt as set to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2. Mark with a safety pin at the end of the row.

Ok, 1st question--what is the reason for the safety pin? Am I just attaching it to the yarn?

The safety pin helps you when you pick up stitches for the collar. It's just there to show you where you change the ratio of picked up stitches to knitted rows.

Starsky Pattern wrote:
Now, Work 7 rows in patt as set, maintaining 3 sts at neckline edge in stockinette st. Repeat these 8 rows 3 times more.

Ok, so at the end of each row, am I adding three stitches?

No. You're making sure to keep a 3-stitch-stockinette-border at both the neckline and the armhole by "eating" your way into the pattern with stockinette stitches. I think you must have done the same on the back armholes.

Starsky Pattern wrote:
AT THE SAME TIME: When work measures 15 inches, ending with a WS row, shape armhole as follows: Next Row [RS]: BO 3 sts, work in patt as set to end. Work 1 row in patt as set

Is this 15 inches from the safety pin? Is this the reason for the safety pin????? Is it all coming to me now?? And the 3 I'm binding off here, is this the 3 sts from earlier at the neckline edge??

This is 15 inches from the bottom of the front section. The same as the back section.

The three stitches you're binding off are the three stitches that will form the "base" of the armhole shaping. They have nothing to do with the three stitches mentioned earlier.

Clearer? :?? :hug:

-----
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Mönstret är förvirrande" = "The pattern is confusing"

Andrea
08-28-2006, 05:29 AM
No, now I'm just more frustrated! :wall:

If I'm currently at 14.25 inches, how on earth could all those rows only be .75 inches??

WAIT A MINUTE, at the same time means that that those 2 armhole shaping rows are just those 2 rows?

Why am I not getting this?? :wall: :wall:

I don't think I want to go on with Starsky :pout:

catownedanna
08-28-2006, 06:06 AM
:verysad: Oh, Andrea, you weren't supposed to get more frustrated...

"At the same time" means that you will do just that... You will be doing neckline shapings on a lot of rows (can't remember how many) on one side of your front panel (the one facing "middle" of cardigan) and on the other side (the one you will seam to the back), you'll be shaping the armhole exactly as you shaped it on the back.

So, assuming you're at 14.25 inches on the left front (You're knitting a small, right?):
Row 1 (RS): Decrease for neckline as the pattern says (knit to last 4, k2tog, k2)
Row 2 (WS): Knit/purl in pattern
Row 3 (RS): Knit/purl in pattern
Row 4 (WS): Knit/purl in pattern
Row 5 (RS): BO for armhole shaping (Assuming you've reached 15 inches here!!!)
Row 6 (WS): Knit/purl in pattern
Row 7 (RS): Decrease for armhole as pattern says (k2, ssk...)
Row 8 (WS): Decrease for armhole as pattern says (p to last 4, p2tog tbl, p2)
Row 9 (RS): Decrease for armhole as pattern says (k2, k2tog...) AND decrease for neckline as the pattern says
Row 10 (WS): Decrease for armhole as pattern says (p to last 4, p2tog tbl, p2)

And so on...

So, on some rows, you'll be decreasing for only neckline. On others, you'll be decreasing for both neckline and armhole. And on some, you'll be decreasing only for the armhole.

Try to draw it out on paper. You know you have neckline shapings on every 8th row a total of 4 times. And you know you have to BO 3 stitches and knit/purl the next row once. And you know you have to do armhole shapings on a total of 8 rows (not including the row where you BO stitches).

Knowing your row gauge you can sketch it all out!

You can do it, Andrea! :muah:

-----
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Jag är hungrig och ska äta lunch" = I'm hungry and I'm about to eat lunch"

Andrea
08-28-2006, 06:16 AM
:muah: :muah: :muah:

I'm not in the Starsky mood right now, but I think once I look at it I will be able to figure it out with your wonderful instructions!

I will probably print out your instructions, because you have written it very clear :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Thank you, dear Anna :heart:

:hug:

catownedanna
08-28-2006, 09:52 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Jag längtar efter att få se bilder på Andreas färdiga Starsky!" = "I'm longing for pictures of Andrea's finished Starsky!"
-----

:oops: The praise... :teehee:

I'm sure you can work it out if you use pen and paper. Make sure you know when to do the armhole BO (how many rows those 0.75 inches wll be equal to) and sketch it all out (sort of like I did with the assumptions I made).

You can do it!!! :cheering: And we both know Starsky is worth the effort!!! :heart: :blooby:

Andrea
08-28-2006, 11:26 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Jag längtar efter att få se bilder på Andreas färdiga Starsky!" = "I'm longing for pictures of Andrea's finished Starsky!"
-----

:heart: :heart: :heart: You're so cute, Anna!! I will finish it! I promise!

Sue Madelin
08-29-2006, 03:46 AM
Yay for Andrea :muah: :cheering: You can do it!

Just to add my little bit - I always list out my rows when I get to the shapings part of the pattern because otherwise I get confused.

I list them something like this: (BTW this is totally made up so don't let the numbers or instructions confuse you - it's just for illustration!)

(starting number of sts = 100)
Row 1 (RS) Bind off 5 knit to end = 95sts
Row 2 (WS) Bind off 5 purl to end = 90sts
Row 3 (RS) knit
Row 4 (WS) Purl
Row 5 (RS) Dec at armhole = 89sts
Row 6 (WS) Purl
Row 7 (RS) Dec at Armhole and neck = 87sts
etc etc..............

I find that keeping a tally of the amount of stitches I should have after each decrease helps keep me on track and also helps me to make sure that I've done the decreasing as the pattern says I should. This way I can see if I've misunderstood the pattern before I start knitting it. It also means that when doing two fronts or sleeves I can use the same list for each side - helpful if you leave a long gap between knitting the parts - I hate having to work something out twice!

Anyway - I hope that is helpful and doesn't make things even worse!

Good luck - and I was wearing my Starsky yesterday and I think I'll wear it again today - It is just so snuggly!

Andrea
08-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Last night I worked on Starsky with the printed out instructions Anna gave. I wrote out every row for the next several rows. I'm now seeing it as a fun challenge because thanks to Anna and Sue and this KAL, I've gotten through the rought Starsky patches!! :muah: :hug:

It does make me a little sad though--did you guys just not get confused at this part? :pout:

Friskums
08-29-2006, 08:30 AM
I did the first time around. I think for that area, I pretty much did the same thing and wrote out every row until I a) got past it or b) got the hang of it.

Don't feel bad Andrea. You're not the only one. :hug:

Andrea
08-29-2006, 08:39 AM
:hug: Thanks Frisky!! :heart:

I'm excited to work on it more tonight! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Friskums
08-29-2006, 09:31 AM
I want to make another one in worsted weight.

...Someday... ;) :rofl:

catownedanna
08-30-2006, 02:39 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Det kan vara riktigt kul att räkna" = "It can be really fun to count"

-----

Sue, that's a good idea of actually adding the number of stitches you're supposed to have in the end of every row. I tend to do that in my head I guess, but it would be better to have that down on paper as well. :hug:

And Andrea!!!! :muah: :heart: I'm so happy you got through the "rough" part of Starsky!!! :blooby:

Andrea
08-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Hello ladies!! :muah:

So, I'm at 21 inches in on the left front. :cheering: :cheering: Now here's where I'm a little confused (again!)

After all the shaping instructions, it says:

All Sizes:
Cont in patt as set, maintaining 3 sts at each edge in stockinette st, until work measures 23 inches (armhole measures 8 inches), ending with a WS row.

My question is! I am done with the "Repeat these 8 rows (4) times", so do I not decrease for the neckline anymore? I just keep knitting for 2 more inches in the pattern? I really wanted to work on it more tonight, but I'm afraid of the missed decreases (if I don't do them but should have). Then I figure, it's 2inches and probably only 8-10 more rows, so it's ONE decrease so why am I making this into a huge project??? :!!!:

catownedanna
08-31-2006, 02:42 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Jag hoppas kunna använda min Starsky igen snart" = "I hope to be able to wear my Starsky again soon"

-----

Andrea :hug: , I think you're more nervous about knitting Starsky than you have to be... You'll be fine! :heart:

About neckline shaping after 21 inches... If you've done the 8 rows-4 times-thing, then I think you're done with the decreases.

The next step in the directions, after reaching 23 inches, says "BO rem 19[19, 21, 21, 21] sts.".

So, do you already have 19 stitches on your needles? I hope so, cause that means you're done with the neckline shaping. If you have more stitches, add another decrease somewhere along the neckline. (It won't be noticed, I promise!!! The collar will hide some of that section...) If you have less than 19 stitches on the needle... :?? Get back to me and we'll try to figure that out...

Andrea
08-31-2006, 04:47 AM
:oops: I should have thought of that! Yes, I have 19...I will just keep working in pattern until I reach 23 inches!

:hug: :muah: Thanks, Anna! :muah: :hug:

catownedanna
08-31-2006, 05:05 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "19 heter "nitton" på svenska" = "19 is called "nitton" in Swedish"

-----

Yes, I have 19...I will just keep working in pattern until I reach 23 inches!

Great!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

rebecca
09-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm in the middle of organizing my stash and just found out that I have enough Lamb's Pride for Starsky, so....I may cast on for Starsky, still thinking about it, I had originally gotten this yarn for a shawl, hat and gloves...but I don't know... :shrug: could be starsky...I have several things to get out of the way 1st, so I've a while to decide. Just thought I'd drop in a see how ya'll were doing with your starskies.

SabiKnits
09-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Hello from a first-time poster! I'm Sabrina.

Is it too late to join this KAL? I just started Starsky yesterday, and I'm excited! I've never done a full-sized sweater for myself, though (only little shrugs and things), so I'll probably need support...
-Sabi

sara_jayne
09-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Sabi -

It is never to late to join this KAL! I've been waiting for my yarn for 7 weeks now, so you are further along than me!

Even those who have already finished this sweater still check in on those of us knitting it and are teriffic about answering questions.

Good luck & glad to have you here knitting with us! :heart:

hydeemarie
09-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Ok, this KAL is from march, and I wanted to do it then, but the lack of correct yarn and money to buy the correct yarn was in my way. Now, I have decided that, since I have a BUNCH of different colored worsted weight acrylic yarn, I am going to use it for this. Thats right: A multi colored starsky! Hmmm... wonder what it will look like?!?!? wish me luck!! :muah:

AmandaC
09-03-2006, 10:02 AM
:teehee: here's my Starsky!!!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/starsky_060903.jpg

I will swatch it this time and hopefully it will fit better the 2nd time :pray:

Andrea
09-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Amanda, did you frog your entire Starsky to start over?? :shock: Or is that new yarn?

And welcome Rebecca and Sabi! :muah:

Ladies, I am done with the LEFT FRONT!! :blooby: :blooby: :blooby:

knitqueen
09-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Andrea, you're doing awesome!! :muah:

Amanda, your Starsky was so beautiful!! I'm sad for you that you frogged it. :pout:

AmandaC
09-03-2006, 01:23 PM
But I am going to do it again ... just bigger this time. :oops:

catownedanna
09-04-2006, 01:10 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Nu är det måndag igen" = "Now it's Monday again"
_____

Amanda!!! :hug: I'm sorry you had to frog your Starsky but I'm unbelievably happy that you did it just to start over!!! :cheering:

Andrea!!! You realize that the right front will be easier, eh? And that the left front wasn't that bad after all... :muah:

Sara, I think I'm as anxious as you are for your yarn to arrive! I just know you'll make a fantastic Starsky! :heart:

And to the newcomers: Welcome! :D

Andrea
09-04-2006, 12:25 PM
I will be able to do the RF with no problems now!! :muah:

catownedanna
09-06-2006, 07:02 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Jag hoppas vi får god mat" = "I hope we'll get good food"
_____

I'm attending an "office party" today. We'll be outside for a couple of hours, playing different games, and then food is served later tonight. We'll be sitting in a big party tent by the water...

I figured it might get really cold, so I'm going to wear my Starsky this afternoon and tonight!!! :blooby: <- Anna doing a happy dance wearing her Starsky

Sue Madelin
09-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Yay for Starsky! Have fun tonight.

domiknitrix
09-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Here it is. This is as far as I have gotten on the back. I am so excited (as you can tell). This is my first cabling work.

I am an amateur photographer so the photo is not that brightand it does not do the bright green justice. I will have to ask my son to look at it and tell me what I am doing wrong.

Cheers!

Wish me luck. I am excited and scared at the same time because it seems like people are having problems with the pattern.

Rock on!

Sue Madelin
09-06-2006, 05:28 PM
That looks fab, well done.

BTW what circular shrug did you do?

domiknitrix
09-07-2006, 07:39 AM
The one that was on crafster. I tried to upload the finished project but too many pixels. However, you can see a picture of it on my website knitsy@blogspot.com

Andrea
09-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Looking good!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

SabiKnits
09-08-2006, 12:28 AM
Hello again! So I started to get really frustrated with the cable pattern; for some reason I wasn't getting the borders of stockinette stitch between each cable panel, and so it just looked like a big mess. After three tries, I got a little frustrated, and decided to substitute another cable instead:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62394132@N00/237400094

I'll probably try to do the original cable pattern the next time around (which will likely be right after I finish this one, I love this type of sweater), but I was so anxious to start knitting that I didn't want the frustration of getting that particular pattern to slow my progress toward my first big sweater! The cable is from the Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Vol. II: Cables.

SabiKnits
09-08-2006, 12:33 AM
ack! Why isn't the photo working?

Friskums
09-08-2006, 09:22 AM
That's a gorgeous modification! And I love the color you used. :heart:

The more I see of these, the more I want to make another one. :D

SabiKnits
09-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Thank you! Though I'm still perplexed; why isn't the photo showing up on my screen??

Friskums
09-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Maybe because it doesn't have a .jpg or .gif or anything at the and. The code doesn't know it's a picture? :?? :shrug:

sara_jayne
09-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Well, after 8 weeks of waiting for yarn, I finally got the yarn a week ago. I haven't had much time to knit lately, but I did CO for Starsky, and after a small, idiotic problem on my side, I finished the ribbing on the back and 1 set of the cable pattern. Not much, but it is started at least!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/starsky1.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the suggestion of coloring the chart - it has made a big difference! Of course, I had to blow up the cabling pattern and chart a lot so my poor little eyes could see it!
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/starskychart.jpg

Friskums
09-22-2006, 04:23 PM
:happydance: :happydance: :cheering: :cheering:
Yay! What a pretty color. :inlove: :inlove:

Andrea
09-22-2006, 07:24 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Mine doesn't look that soft in the picture! I love it!

sara_jayne
10-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Okay, ladies! I need your help!

I had to rip out Starsky and start over...but I'm getting close to where I was when I had to rip back.

When I get to shaping the armholes I'm confused. I added an extra stitch at each end (slip first, knit last one).

When I bind off stitches do I then make the next stitch the slip stitch or do I start off into the pattern where it matches up?

I appreciate your help! :muah:

domiknitrix
10-23-2006, 12:13 PM
I have completed the back and started the left front, but stopped because I am confused. I don't understand the directions really.

:wall:

Can someone help me as well with the explanation of the left front once you reach the arm hole. Thanks in advance.

Sue Madelin
10-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Ooohhh heck!

I think we need Anna here - she's fab at the Starsky directions and really good at explaining them here in the forum.

If she doesn't pop up soon I'll pull out my pattern and try and remember what I did - seems an awfully long time ago now though :oops:

Good Luck :hug:

Friskums
10-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Okay, ladies! I need your help!

I had to rip out Starsky and start over...but I'm getting close to where I was when I had to rip back.

When I get to shaping the armholes I'm confused. I added an extra stitch at each end (slip first, knit last one).

When I bind off stitches do I then make the next stitch the slip stitch or do I start off into the pattern where it matches up?

I appreciate your help! :muah:

I wasn't slipping stitches for the nice edges when I made Starsky, so I just started where it would match up with the pattern. Worked well enough for me, but I think that as long as the pattern matches up, you'll be fine.

Friskums
10-23-2006, 09:32 PM
I have completed the back and started the left front, but stopped because I am confused. I don't understand the directions really.

:wall:

Can someone help me as well with the explanation of the left front once you reach the arm hole. Thanks in advance.
What size are you making. And, at what point at you getting confused?

I'd like to help, but I guess I need a more specific question. (Of course, you can always ignore me and wait for someone who's a little smarter to come around. ;) )

MMK
10-24-2006, 07:23 AM
Mine is finished except for the belt. It seems to go on forever! Be warned that the sleeves are pretty long. I am not in the mood to rip mine back from the cuffs and reknit, but I might decide to do that later. They are a good 3 inches longer than necessary. This pattern has a lot of give and the weight of the yarn will cause a good deal of stretch. I had been putting off finishing because I am a newbie at seaming. I was pleasantly surprised at how well everything lined up and fit without having to ease anything. If nothing else, this pattern has ended my fear of making a cardigan! :cheering:

domiknitrix
10-24-2006, 10:50 AM
:shrug: I guess I am confused at where to begin once I get to the arm hole. Here is the directions: I know it is supposed to be worked at the same time as it states, but than you start measuring one before you get to the other. I guess I want to make sure I am doing it right so that I don't have to rip it.

Note: Read ahead; neckline and armhole shaping are worked at the same time.

Shape Neckline
Next Row [RS]: Work in patt as set to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2. Mark work with a safety pin at the end of this row.
Work 3 rows in patt as set, maintaining 3 sts at neckline edge in stockinette st.
Repeat these 4 rows 8 times more.

AT THE SAME TIME: When work measures 16.25 inches, ending with a WS row, shape armhole as follows:

Next Row [RS]: BO 5 sts, work in patt as set to end.
Work 1 row in patt as set.

Sizes L, XL, XXL Only:
BO 2 sts, work in patt as set to end.
Next Row [RS]: K2, ssk, work in patt as set to end.
Next Row [WS]: Work in patt as set to last 4 sts, p2tog tbl, p2.
Repeat these 2 rows 1 times more.

Next Row [WS]: Work in patt as set to last 3 sts, p3.
Repeat these 2 rows 4 times more.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post. :wall:

Sue Madelin
10-24-2006, 11:21 AM
What I do (with all my patterns actually) is to write out each row on a piece of paper.

So I'd write the rows down the page and put in the first set of shapings.

Just concentrate on the first set, measuring as you go, and once you get to the right measurement then add in the other shapings to the rows where necessary.

I'm no good at remembering where I am in the shapings unless I have it all written down in front of me. I also work out how many stitches I should have after every row so that I know right away if I've gone wrong.

Hope this helps and good luck

Friskums
10-24-2006, 11:49 AM
I wrote everything out too. I make little hash marks and then I or D for the increases or decreases (for example, ||||||| I |||||| ) and just cross them off as I get the rows done.

Basically, just work the "Shape Neckline" section until it measures 16.25 inches.
At that point, you start the next row. Depending on how many more times you're working the first 4 "neckline", you keep working those four as you move onto the next section.

Once you're done with the neckline, you just work the rest of the pattern as it is.

Does that make any sense?

domiknitrix
10-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Okay, I am trying to write it out. But when I do, it looks like I am taking to much away.

This is how I see the pattern.

I am suppose to do the pattern repeat 8 times for a large size Starsky, for the neckline, but at the same time I am suppose to do the armhole.

Which states to: BO 5 sts, work in patt as set to end.

Here is where the confusion sets in. Am I suppose to do the armhole part one time - when it measures 16.25? Or am I suppose to continue this part while I am doing the 8 repeats.

still butting heads in the capital :wall:

Friskums
10-25-2006, 08:31 PM
You do the
[[BO 5 sts, work in patt as set to end.
Work 1 row in patt as set]]
Just the once.

Then you go down to the:
[[BO 2 sts, work in patt as set to end.

Repeat these 2 rows 4 times more. ]]

Does that help? I had the same question about repeating the BO row...

Andrea
10-26-2006, 09:31 AM
I should have done the RF before I put Starsky down for awhile...I'm afraid I'm going to be confused again :wall:

knottydaisy
10-26-2006, 12:44 PM
I'm looking at making this and I'm wondering if anyone had trouble with the guage. I see that it calls for KP Sierra which is a Bulky yarn yet the guage is 4st/inch. That would, seemingly, be worsted or aran, right?

Did anyone use anything other than Sierra?

sara_jayne
10-26-2006, 12:50 PM
It does call for a bulky weight yarn. I'm using Plymouth Encore Chunky because it is washable and not 100% wool (the person I am knitting it for is sensitive to 100% wool).

Good luck!

Sue Madelin
10-26-2006, 01:40 PM
I knit it in a worsted weight because I already had the wool in my stash.

I couldn't get gauge no matter what I did so I used the mulitplier from here (http://www.cara4webshopping.com/cara_free/convert.htm) to work out the number of stitches I needed instead for my gauge. It turned out that my stitch count was similar to that of one of the other, bigger sizes so I just knit as if for a size XL but used the row measurements for the size I actually wanted, M, and the finished article fits beautifully!

Highly recommend this method - in fact I'm now knitting my second sweater using this theory because I find it is easier to reduce or increase the number of stitches I need if my row gauge is correct but the width of my swatch isn't.

Am I making sense?

Oh, and by the way - my Starsky drapes beautifully in worsted weight and doesn't feel too thin or anything!

Friskums
10-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm looking at making this and I'm wondering if anyone had trouble with the guage. I see that it calls for KP Sierra which is a Bulky yarn yet the guage is 4st/inch. That would, seemingly, be worsted or aran, right?

Did anyone use anything other than Sierra?
I think it was mentioned this was labled wrong and it's actually at 3st/inch.

I used Encore Chunky and it worked out just fine too.

catownedanna
10-30-2006, 02:36 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Det enda bra med kylan är att jag kan använda min Starsky" = "The only good thing about the cold is that I can use my Starsky"
_____

I've been abscent from this thread for sooo long. :verysad: Sorry about that. I do like popping in from time to time to see the progress of other Starskies...

I see some questions that weren't here when I last checked in. Have they all been answered? Is there anyone still wondering about a certain part of the directions?

Yesterday I saw the forecast for the next five days and it's going to be chiiiilly here, starting Wednesday. I get to wear my Starsky again!!! :happydance:

domiknitrix
10-30-2006, 10:54 AM
You do the
[[BO 5 sts, work in patt as set to end.
Work 1 row in patt as set]]
Just the once.

Then you go down to the:
[[BO 2 sts, work in patt as set to end.

Repeat these 2 rows 4 times more. ]]

Does that help? I had the same question about repeating the BO row...

Okay, so are you saying to do this after the four pattern repeat of the neckline? I ask because I thought I am suppose to be doing both at the same time....

For instance, once I do the first four of the shape neckline I am at 16.25 which is where I start the bind off. After I do the bind off, will I continue with the pattern repeat and the rest of the directions.

Sorry to make it harder than what it needs to be.

Friskums
10-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Do the neckline until it gets to 16.25 inches. Do the BO row.

Then you start the armhole shaping while continuing the neckline until all of the neckline repeats are done.

Once the neckline repeats are done, then you just do the armhole shaping and continue with the pattern.

Better?

geekgolightly
12-29-2006, 10:10 AM
gtrg

geekgolightly
12-29-2006, 11:13 AM
im just starting starsky and im confused (what's new?).

is the starsky really supposed to be 16 stitches and 18 rows pr 4 inches? i cant seem to get that gauge. i can get the 18 rows, but only with 14 stitches pr inch. with 16, i keep getting approx 21 rows.

i think i am going to go with the 14 st/4 in, because im at the border of this fitting well. it wanted at least seven inches of wiggle room and i've got 6.5. do you think this is a bad idea? i've never had to worry much about accurate measurements before.

also, ive read that you guys had a hard time with the tree trunks not lining up with the ribbing and i am having that problem as well. i am doing the XXL size which means there are 116 co stitches and five pattern repeats. i have 7 k stitches on one side and 4 on the other with the 5 repeats inbetween. if i fudge with the ends i can get the tree trunks to line up... i was thinking of 3k, 4p for the 7 side and 1p 3k for the 4 side. will this affect the pattern later on?

im excited, but feel a bit overwhelmed!

geekgolightly
12-31-2006, 06:05 PM
ive read that you guys had a hard time with the tree trunks not lining up with the ribbing and i am having that problem as well. i am doing the XXL size which means there are 116 co stitches and five pattern repeats. i have 7 k stitches on one side and 4 on the other with the 5 repeats inbetween. if i fudge with the ends i can get the tree trunks to line up... i was thinking of 3k, 4p for the 7 side and 1p 3k for the 4 side. will this affect the pattern later on?

please please someone let me know if this change will affect the pattern avdersely later on :pout:

geekgolightly
01-06-2007, 08:27 AM
well im doing this

k7, *k3, p3* till last four stitches and then k4. it will end up with bigger stockinette edges at the front, but all of the columns will line up at least. ill post in the thread with results/pictures for future starsky'ers