PDA

View Full Version : BEGINNGER casting on question

rosieolivia
03-08-2006, 11:50 AM
I am knitting an "easy" baby sweater. Supposed to "cast on firmly 2 sts, place a market, cast on 10 sts, plae a market... etc. But when I cast on what feels like one stitch, it looks like two. There are two loops. Is this one stitch or two?

This has never mattered in knitting scarves and blankets b/c I usually knit in garter stitch so it doesn't matter how many stitches I cast on if it's off by one. But now, since I have to place a marker after two stitches, it does matter!

In case anyone else has done this sweater, it's Knitting Pure and Simple pattern #214, "baby pullover" - http://knittingpureandsimple.com/kids.html

Thank you!
A serious beginner

kemp
03-08-2006, 02:48 PM
If you use long tail cast on there are 2 sts when you start...you can see it in Amy's long tail CO video

quirky
03-08-2006, 05:07 PM
It is hard to know for sure but I suspect you are twisting your cast on stitches so that you are actually knitting off the bottom of the cast on.

If you are doing this you will see that you have a single loop on the bottom and the top will look like a crocheted chain. When you pickup that chain you will indeed have two loops on your needle.