PDA

View Full Version : Storing dpns

Denise in Michigan
03-14-2006, 03:51 PM
The original cardboard, plastic, etc., holders that my dpns came in are falling apart (all are 7-inch). I'd appreciate ideas on how to store them when they're not being used on a project, including labeling the spaces by needle size. Home-made or purchased storage ideas welcome!

I'm also looking for ideas, other than rubberbands, for keeping a group together in my knitting bag when they are not the set currently in use.

brendajos
03-14-2006, 03:58 PM
i keep mine in various places. the bottom of my purse is where the majority of them are. also under the couch cushions...in balls of yarn...and the ones i never use are kept in a craft case that is also rarely used. :rollseyes:

knitncook
03-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Brendajos do you happen to have a size 2 in the bottom of your purse? It's missing from mine :roflhard:

Most of mine are either in various places in my needle case or they are scattered around. I do have a few in a small flower vase. I just keep a needle sizer handy for those sizes that aren't printed on them.

We're a lot of help, eh?

Denise in Michigan
03-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Michelle--Sure, you're a lot of help! It shows that you folks are in the same bind I am!

sogrammatical
03-14-2006, 05:32 PM
I keep mine in a big pile!

Probably you could sew up a really simple contraption that's just two pieces of cloth with a long pocket dividers sewed into it so you could keep them all separate. And then you could hang it on the wall or roll it up and put it in a drawer. A friend of mine made something like this to hold her pens.

ecb
03-14-2006, 06:05 PM
my Big knitting bag has enough of the right sized pockets to store and seperate them
I love it
http://www.right-tool.com/canrigbag.html
if you want I can photo mine so you can see what it looks like with my Projects and needles in it

rebecca
03-14-2006, 06:23 PM
I have oodles of dpns and Lonnie ordered these (http://www.uline.com/Class_15_ClearTubes.asp) for me to store mine in....works like a charm ;) ...oh yeah, and then I put them in a small, cute stainless bucket; my circs are kept in another small bucket...easy to get to at any given time ;)

Yvonne
03-14-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm in the process of making a knit DPN holder right now! I'll post pics when it's done... if I don't hate it.

marley
03-14-2006, 07:59 PM
I have a set of those plastic binder pages that are used for storing circular needles. Sizes are listed on the outside, and in theory you are supposed to check the boxes that indicate the size of needle stored in each pocket. I am lucky if I manage to get my needles out of the bottom of my zillion plus 1 ziploc bags -- but a more organized person might fare better. DPNs fit in the pockets just perfectly.

knitncook
03-14-2006, 08:03 PM
my Big knitting bag has enough of the right sized pockets to store and seperate them
I love it
http://www.right-tool.com/canrigbag.html
if you want I can photo mine so you can see what it looks like with my Projects and needles in it

Ssssshhhhhh, don't let the "he-men" know we are using these for knitting or they will raise the price on them! A LONG time ago when I did a lot of cross stitch, my mom bought a double sided fishing tackle box really cheap and filled it with all the DMC floss (of the time). It caught on (she was working at a knittng and xstitch shop at the time) and soon all the women were running out to buy them. Word got to the manufacturer and they started marketing them to cross stitchers since the plastic bobbins fit perfectly in them standing up. And they doubled in price! :roflhard:

knittingachiever
03-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Mine are piled in a cardboard box. :oops:

BUT... someday when I'm feeling organized, this is what I'm gonna do: Get a bunch of those tiny little kid-sized hair rubber bands and band together each set. Then put them in those little divided cups made for pencils and pens to stand up in.

aylaanne
03-14-2006, 09:09 PM
When I'm done with a project, I bind them together with a rubber band. If I'm feeling like I won't know what size they are, I add a small slip of paper under the rubber band with the size on it. Then I just throw it in with my stash, but of course, I only have like three sizes right now.

nicolethegeek
03-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Not including all the ones that are in various projects and scattered in odd "safe places" in my home, I have a plastic drawer thingy I keep my needle collection in. I bought 2 of those plastic drawers {stackable} individually, although one on wheels would work just as well. I have my circs that are in packages in one drawer, and my straights in another. I have one of those drawer dividers {soon to be expanded to one per size for ones I have more than 3 sets of} in one of them with my dpns elastic banded together by size. I keep a package of those tiny elastics at my desk at all times. I use them for keeping pairs of straights together, as "point protectors" to keep my projects on the needles. They even make good stitch markers when I'm casting on and need to count stitches {I use the markers I make otherwise!}.

Marni
03-14-2006, 10:08 PM
I only have 2 sets of them, but I keep them bound together with a rubber band. I've labeled each in the middle with a sharp-point permanent marker and they are kept with my crochet hooks in a container intended for pencils.

Dilly
03-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Well... mine are bound together with elastic bands, but I haven't organized them in one spot yet. A good number of them are stored in a pencil case though.

I had jaw surgery in September, so I have lots of those little braces elastics leftover from when I was banded together. I use those to keep the needles together. They work great, and can also double as stitch markers when I need them.

And just in case anyone is wondering - I'm talking about the unused elastics! The used ones all went in the garbage. :rollseyes:

~babydill~

Jenelle
03-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Probably the best thing for DPN's is those pencil boxes a lot of kids get to store pens and pencils in them. They are starting to come in great colors too.

raederle
03-15-2006, 12:03 AM
I got three of these for Xmas, straight, DPNs, & circs. They are clear and fold up! Only problem: I need more! (And my 5" DPNs kinda slip down a little to far inside the pockets)

http://www.ashlandsky.com/where.html#top

brendajos
03-15-2006, 12:29 AM
those are SOOOOO COOOOOL!!!!

nicolethegeek
03-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Ram Wools (http://www.ramwools.com) sells these (http://www.ramwools.com/index.cfm?pageID=2&section=79). I've looked at them at the store, and they're pretty cool, but they just don't fit in with my collection of needles and the way I like to store stuff.

brendajos
03-15-2006, 01:11 PM
those look like they are the same, just without the perdy colors! ;)

Denise in Michigan
03-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks for all these helpful ideas! I'm going to try out several and see which work best for me!

Silver
03-15-2006, 02:41 PM
I wrap each set tightly in a post-it note, tape it closed and write the size on it. Then I just put them all in a pocket in my knitting bag. When I need to use a set, I just pull them out of the paper, and I can slip them back in when I'm finished. Keeps them all neat, organized and labeled. :)

VickiIL
03-15-2006, 04:42 PM
I used some fat quarters and sewed up a simple case for my dpn's, crochet hooks and addis

Shandeh
03-16-2006, 08:24 AM
I store my double points in a basket, along with my circulars, 10 inch needles, and crochet needles and accessories. The basket has 4 sections, so it works very well. The double point needles that do not have a package are in a small jelly jar that fits in that section of the basket. The crochet needles are in a jelly jar too.

Miss Kittie
03-17-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm going to make one like here..
http://www.crippenworks.com/cpwframeindex.html
Just click on double-pointed needles..
Right now mine have bands around them..

Cristy
03-17-2006, 06:35 PM
I CAN'T SEW!!! but I want one of those crippenworks dpn cases but I don't want to pay that much.... :(

Quietheart
03-18-2006, 08:52 AM
I have a large coffee can full of paper towel center rolls that I cut or toilet paper rolls, all standing up in the can. I crocheted a decorative cover for the can (I had just learned to knit). It works and looks quite lovely for my dpns , other straight needles and lots of other knitting stuff. I may make another and cover the rolls inside too :) I could also make a flower covered "cover" for it, so it looks like a basket of flowers when it's not open, although that probably wouldn't happen often lol

Kath

Cristy
03-18-2006, 02:57 PM
ahhem....quietheart...picture please....:)

Quietheart
03-18-2006, 05:50 PM
You want a picture of a coffee can with tubes standing up in it? Come on now lol
Honestly I will have to wait until my daughter is here again with her camera. It's really not hard to picture. Just take toilet paper rolls or cut paper towel rolls and stand them in a big coffee can so they are firmly holding each other up.. decorate as you want :) tada..

Kath

Ellen Edwards
03-18-2006, 07:18 PM
I loved all of your answers to this!!

Christy--you don't have to sew to make a roll up type of holder. I do sew, and I sewed mine, but I just took a cloth placemat that I had forever, and it had a matching cloth napkin with it. Mine were purple (I love purple, but it just didn't go in my kitchen. So I laid the placemat ( facedown if it's not the same on each side), and laid the napkin on it . I think I had to fold the napkin so that it went to about half the height of the placemat....and sewed around the edges to make the "pocket". Then I sewed vertically down teh napkin, spacing it for some of the dps and some of the larger needles ,( some very narrow and some wider) to fit in. Then I rolled it up with needles in it so I could see where I could sew the ties in the inside of one side.. I just took a piece of ribbon and folded it in half and sewed it to the inside edge of one side. Then you can tie it together and take it with you or store it--all of your needles are together!! The thing is--you could do all this same thing with FRABRIC GLUE!!

Just place the napkin like you want it, then from one side to the other, glue vertically till about one inch from the bottom. Glue as many pockets as you want----you can have them about an inch wide or more--1 inch will hold lots of small dps!! When you get to the other side, glue the napkin to the placemat til about 1 inch from the bottom, then glue the bottom down all the way across. It doesn't take very long for fabric glue to set and when it does, you'll have your needle case!! Oh--don't forget to take a piece of ribbon --maybe a foot of it, and glue it , folded in half vertically, to one side midway to the bottom so when you've rolled the case up, you have ties to keep it rolled!! If you sew at all--tack the ribbon down good with needle and thread. I see no reason why fabric glue wouldn't work fine! You can use ribbon as wide or narrow as you like to tie it with. If you'd rather not glue it to one side, just roll the "case" up, and tie the ribbon in a bow to keep it together.

But I do also have some of my needles in a clear flower vase on the tale by "my" chair, and a smaller narrow vase holds my dps. I just love looking at them. I even have balls of yarn piled in baskets sitting around for decor!! My dh and I are the only 2 living here, and I like it--and I don't think he even notices them, so if I want knitting to be my "theme", it goes well here!

Denise in Michigan
03-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Wow, folks! More great ideas keep coming! Thank you, thank you!
--Denise

Stacy
03-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Hello,

At Target I bought two of the accordian style check holders. They are plastic. I keep my dpn in one and my circular needles in the other. I like them because they have tabs that you can write the size of the needles for each pocket.

Stacy

Cristy
03-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks trudy...I did think of fabric glue and wonder if it'd work. I thought about the project and it does seem easy enough...I have a small singer mending machine and I think I could sew a straight line...I keep contemplating an attempt at making one of these...maybe I'll try it with the glue and see what I think...thanks for the suggestion!

Carol_OH
03-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Probably the best thing for DPN's is those pencil boxes a lot of kids get to store pens and pencils in them. They are starting to come in great colors too.

*nods* this is what I do too

:)

Jan in CA
03-20-2006, 02:53 PM
I have oodles of dpns and Lonnie ordered these (http://www.uline.com/Class_15_ClearTubes.asp) for me to store mine in....works like a charm ;) ...

Those tubes are cool!

Mine are in baggies, the original cardboard, coffee table, tossed in a drawer. LOL Even though I hate to sew I was thinking of making a long fabric thing wtih slots for DPNs and circs not in the interchaneable set. I want the circs to hang so the cords stay uncurled.