PDA

View Full Version : NEW KNITTER

KELLIE1205
03-15-2006, 12:01 PM
:D I AM TEACHING MYSELF TO KNIT. I TOOK A BEGINNER KNITTING CLASS , NO ONE ELSE SHOWED UP SO THE INSTRUCTOR ONLY HAD ABOUT ONE HOUR WITH ME.SHE ONLY GOT INTO THE VERY BASICS.
KNIT STITCH AND PEARLING. SHE THEN GOT SICK AND ALL THE EVENING CLASSES WERE CANCELED.I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IT MEANS BY RIGHT SIDE AND WRONG SIDE.
PLEASE I NEED HELP!

Tamar Dohel
03-15-2006, 12:07 PM
I'd like to know too.

Excellent question!

aylaanne
03-15-2006, 12:10 PM
When you're making a cloth, the "right side" is the side that you want to look at. In garments, it's the outside. The "wrong side" is the side that would be against the skin.

In stockinette stitch, knitting flat, the right side is the side you knit, and the wrong side is the side you purl. In garter stitch, both sides look the same, so the right side is generally the side you are working the odd-numbered rows. I read a suggestion somewhere that if you're not sure, to put a safety pin on one side of the work, to designate that as the right side.

When knitting in the round, the right side is the outside, and the wrong side is the inside.

HTH! :thumbsup:

edit: in before Ingrid! :happydance: :roflhard:

Jeremy
03-15-2006, 12:11 PM
The right side is simply the side that is worn on the outside. For the most part, its the knit side as opposed to the purl side.

Kid Showbiz
03-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Yep, it's the side you want people to see. Welcome to the board!

Shandeh
03-16-2006, 08:41 AM
When I was a new knitter, I would sometimes get confused about which side I was working on, so I used this old trick:

Use 2 different colored needles, like pink and blue. When your stitches are on the blue needle, you'll be knitting. When they are on the pink needle, you'll be purling.

I always liked using a pink needle, because pink and purl started with the same letter, and it helped me remember.

Miss Kittie
03-16-2006, 01:05 PM
I agree wit most of the posts.. Sometimes on the pattern it tell you that the row you just started or finished is the right or wrong side..
Smart idea about the different color needles!!