PDA

View Full Version : Waterlily KAL

aylaanne
03-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Not too long ago, feministmama posted this thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9693) about the waterlily top (http://www.interweave.com/images/imagesknit/img_knit_backissue/toc_spr06/waterlilytop.jpg) from Interweave Knits Spring 2006 magazine (http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/preview/2006_spring.asp). I immediately headed to my LYS to find the magazine and look at the pattern, and then looked up the yarn on the internet, only to discover the disappointing price tag (http://www.kyarns.com/colinette-giotto-cotton-rayon-blend-ribbon-bulky-weight-yarn.html) of nearly US$27/hank. Not to let that get to me, I trolled around eBay, finally discovering this yarn (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8266352212&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1) from this seller (http://stores.ebay.com/myyarnmarket), which is sold in groups of three and in many different colors. I bought some in red, and received it on Saturday.

From all the interest when the original thread was posted, I thought there might be enough people interested in a KAL for this top. More people may be interested with the link to that eBay seller (I hope). This will be my most ambitious project to date: the first on circular needles actually knit in the round, the first project with sleeve shaping, hell, my first sweater of any kind, the first yarn that I need a swift (or a patient partner) to help me wind it into a ball, the first project with a provisional cast-on, etc. There are many other firsts in this project. I'd love some company.

Any takers? :pray: :notworthy:

feministmama
03-20-2006, 03:34 PM
That was meeeee! Yes I would love to knit waterLily. THe thing is I don't like ribbon yarn. It's not yarn it's ribbon! Just my .02. So I found a bulky cotten verigated that I'm gonna use instead. I can't find my #11 circle needles so I been kinda waitin till I clean my room adn maybe I'll find them to start :shock: But YES I would love to do this as a KAL. ANyone else?

aylaanne
03-20-2006, 03:37 PM
I found the original thread and linked to it, and gave you credit, as well. I've never knit with ribbon yarn before, but I was worried about using a non-ribbon yarn in stockinette because of the curling at the bottom (it doesn't look like the ribbon had that problem). I still have to wind the yarn I got into balls, so I need at least a week before the cast-on. I just want some company. Glad to know I have at least one taker! :happydance:

AmandaC
03-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi - I'm not planning on making this top - although it is really nice ... I just thought I would let you know - this yarn is available in the UK for 6.95 (approx $12.20) a ball. Maybe the international postage from this seller wouldn't be too bad! http://www.cucumberpatch.co.uk/giotto.htm

Good luck.

aylaanne
03-25-2006, 06:37 PM
I cast on! I'm on the first purl row! :happydance: :XX:

drlouis
03-25-2006, 10:43 PM
hi.

sounds like fun! :XX:

Louine
03-28-2006, 02:39 PM
All of the colinette yarns are to die for but unless I can get it cheaper....I just don't buy it. I do have a daughter who lived in Ireland and one of her friends will buy it for me (orders directly from the company) and then my daughter will bring it back or the friend will bring it when he comes. I don't know if a distributer is allowed to mail it from the UK (agreements with company etc.) .....has anyone tried?

aylaanne
03-28-2006, 02:55 PM
eBay eBay eBay. That's all I have to say about that. There are lots of sellers on eBay who are selling colinette for cheaper than $26. I ended up getting the yarn I got for $7/skein with shipping calculated in. That's about my current limit for buying yarn, until I see whether this knitting habit continues past when I graduate high school.

feministmama
03-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Well I'm at the Oregon Coast right now with my mum and my son and his dad. We're going to Devil's punchbowl to climb on some rocks. We'll be back home tomorrow where I have now gathered all the needles to make this lovely shirt. I will have to get some more yarn. It is discontinued but a seller on eBay has more. SO i should order when I get back so by the time I'm almost out, more will show up at my door. I'm using a bulky verigated cotton called...um...lesse what was it again? :??

feministmama
03-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Here it is. THe seller is toadal and here is a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8153739676&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

aylaanne
03-28-2006, 03:20 PM
http://www.notebookforums.com/images/smilies/energetic.gifI'm so excited! I'll take a picture of my progress today.

aylaanne
04-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Waterlily progress

wildforyarn
04-02-2006, 08:15 PM
I love, love, love that top, but was put off by the cost of the yarn. Feminist, how was it that you chose that particular yarn? Aylaane, looks like yours is going to be really pretty. Can't wait to see it when it is done!

wildforyarn
04-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Aylaane, how may lots did you buy? None of the pictures come up, so I am curious as to how many yards per skein there are and how many of this yarn I would need.... Thanks!

aylaanne
04-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I just got one lot of three skeins. My LYS owner told me that when substituting yarn, weight was more important than yardage, so I got three 100g skeins. Because it's a varigated yarn, I'm not worried about dye lot if I have to buy more. There is no dye lot stamped on the tag.

It looks like the image server is down for the yarn I bought, so I took a picture of my last unwound hank to show you. I took the picture of my progress when I was switching skeins.

feministmama
04-07-2006, 07:41 PM
I love, love, love that top, but was put off by the cost of the yarn. Feminist, how was it that you chose that particular yarn? Aylaane, looks like yours is going to be really pretty. Can't wait to see it when it is done!

I got a bunch of it on sale at WEBS. It is cotton though, not ribbon so it may not turn out so good. I've started it but I'm at work so have to wait till I get home with my camera to take pictures.

aylaanne
04-07-2006, 07:57 PM
oooh, I can't WAIT to see pictures!

feministmama
04-08-2006, 02:11 AM
Well I didn't get *that* far but its a start.

wildforyarn
04-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Feminist - I am dying to see it when you get it done, to see how it looks in the cotton. I really want to knit this, but I also am not a ribbon yarn fan. I have been looking at some of my other bulky yarn choices... maybe one of the bulky yarns from KP. I just don't know. :shock: Too many choices out there. ;)

Anyone else done with their top yet???

feministmama
04-08-2006, 02:19 PM
I kinda don't like knitting with this yarn on big needles. Maybe I need to modify and use smaller needles, like 11 or something. It's coming out kinda loose. I'll definatly have to wear something undeath this so I don't scare people :rollseyes:

aylaanne
04-16-2006, 08:38 PM
So, my Waterlily took a major hit yesterday when I had to rip out a good four hours of work because I didn't put in a lifeline when I started the pattern stitches. :doh: Also, I'm a little afraid I'm going to run out of yarn, and I'm worried I won't be able to afford any more (we're having a spot of financial trouble at the moment).

However, for those of you who are still not knitting this sweater because of the Giotto, I have to say there is an abundance of ribbon yarns on elann right now, for MUCH less than $27/skein, and it looks like many of them will make gauge. you know you want to..... :heart: :XX:

loriwat
04-18-2006, 09:05 PM
I love that sweater too. I plan to start it next month, so I will watch your progress and see how its going. My local yarn shop is having a sale on May 7th, so I'm going to look for a substitute. If I buy the yarn there, they help when I reach my snags, which is a very good thing.

Happy knitting!

Lori

aylaanne
04-18-2006, 09:09 PM
yay! someone else to join our KAL! :happydance: :happydance: all you need is a ribbon yarn that knits up thick, you can alter needle sizes if you have to. The pattern is pretty easy as long as you use a lifeline every few inches. :rofling:

feministmama
05-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Ok so I started over again. I have 600 yards of this verigated cotton and the pattern says you nned like 650 yards. SO I looked all over eBay and knitting shops and the internet and I can't find the same color. SO, I'm using some dark purplr as a "trim" and then I'm gonna start with the verigated. So there. I'll have some pics when I make some progress.

aylaanne
05-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I've run out of yarn as well. I'm almost up to the armhole shaping and I need to buy more yarn. However I'm dead broke at the moment and can't afford ANYTHING, so it has to wait a bit. I contacted the seller and he has some waiting for me.

curlyredheadgirl
05-02-2006, 02:13 PM
I've been wanting to make this top since the moment I laid eyes on it!

I didn't want to spend the $$ for collinette - as much as I love it - so I bought the Berrocca - Yoga. It is just the perfect "budget" yarn for this top!!

My next issue was - learn to do the provisional cast on - :thinking: - so now that I am pretty much an expert at that - I will begin to cast on!! I am soooo glad that there are others who are making this - I hope it will spur me on to start and finish this piece - I have waaaaaay tooooo many projects going on right now - Knitting ADD. :XX:

aylaanne
05-02-2006, 02:40 PM
That looks like the perfect yarn! I'd be a little concerned about the gauge, so I'd probably buy a good 200 yards more than the pattern calls for (I'm already finding that I need more yarn than the pattern calls for).

Welcome to the forum, and the KAL! :cheering: :XX: :happydance: :inlove:

feministmama
05-02-2006, 04:09 PM
My next issue was - learn to do the provisional cast on - :thinking: - so now that I am pretty much an expert at that - I will begin to cast on!!

I didn't do the provisional cast on. THey want you to go back later and put this frilly thing on it that I just don't want to be a part of. I just did my regular ole cast on adn left it at that.

aylaanne
05-02-2006, 05:28 PM
My next issue was - learn to do the provisional cast on - :thinking: - so now that I am pretty much an expert at that - I will begin to cast on!!

I didn't do the provisional cast on. THey want you to go back later and put this frilly thing on it that I just don't want to be a part of. I just did my regular ole cast on adn left it at that.
LOL. I did the provisional. I like the frilly thing, and I think helps the hem lie flat. :thumbsup:

feministmama
05-02-2006, 09:42 PM
LOL. I did the provisional. I like the frilly thing, and I think helps the hem lie flat. :thumbsup:

ooooOOOOooooo I didn't think of that. Well poo, I'm not gonna rip out for the 6th gazillionth time! I'll just live with it.

feministmama
05-07-2006, 05:36 PM
So here's my progress so far. I didn't do the provisional cast on. I started with a Jo Sharp DK purple, doubled to make the same gage as the verigated cotton I used a few inches in. I don't know if I have enough of the verigated so I'll probably finish the top with the purple.

aylaanne
05-17-2006, 12:01 AM
No pictures, but I've finished the front straps and am now working on the back. I tried it on and it's really pretty, I just want to make it a little longer, so before I do the hemline I'm going to frog the bottom to above the top purl row and do a few more inches at the bottom, then re-do the k3rnd, p1rnd pattern before I bind off. It should also help me with the yarn join, too, so it's not at the bind off, because that makes me nervous.

My mom thought it was going to look horrible on me before I tried it on. My goal is to finish by 5-26 so I can wear it on 5-27 at my GRADUATION! I'll take a picture of me in it, I'm so excited.

:XX: :XX:

aylaanne
05-18-2006, 12:32 AM
I finished my waterlily tonight. At the moment I'm blocking it to try to get rid of the curl on the bottom, and I have to figure out what to do about the bra sighting, but it's done! w00t! http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/aylaanne/knitting/PICT0257.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/aylaanne/knitting/PICT0256.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/aylaanne/knitting/PICT0254.jpg

feministmama
05-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Yeah! :cheering: and you look fantastic in it. I'm at the row to start the straps. If I can find my camera I'll post a pic. You are an inspiration!

aylaanne
05-18-2006, 01:24 AM
Yeah! :cheering: and you look fantastic in it. I'm at the row to start the straps. If I can find my camera I'll post a pic. You are an inspiration!
I'm glad I can inspire you! I think it makes my butt look awesome! :happydance:

feministmama
05-28-2006, 03:50 PM
I finished. Finally. Ya know, this pattern wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The only thing is, I don't like the way it looks on me. It's really fitted and I don't have a curvy body like Hilde. But I'll show y'all a photo of it anyway.

aylaanne
05-28-2006, 04:36 PM
That looks wonderful! After I blocked mine, it got a little less fitted. I also have bodacious boobies that make it a little obcene (oops!) so I'm going to buy some satin to line it with. I just wore mine all through graduation and I think I looked awesome (if a little more exposed than I wanted to be).

My pictures actually inspired my girlfriend to want one in purple, so I have Waterlily back on the needles, this time with Crystal Palace Party yarn.

Thanks for knitting with me!

jamadian75
05-28-2006, 05:12 PM
You both did a FANTASTIC job on these. What a beautiful pattern, and you chose great colors for them. Very flattering. :cheering: :cheering:

Deeknit
06-01-2006, 07:21 PM
I've been lurking on this knit along.

Wowie. You both have beatiful work. Can't wait to see the others completed.

How many more will I get to see?

Deeknit

meg9
06-21-2006, 08:59 AM
OOOH, I'm late to this knitalong, but I've been lusting after the waterlily tank as soon as I saw it. Colinette prices in the US are the saddest yarn tragedy I can think of, so I put it out of my head until I swapped for 3 skeins on knitty!! YAY :happydance:

SO I'm halfway through, and have just come to the point where I'm thinking about the bodice---I love the back eyelets, but I'm not crazy about the see throughability of the front, so I think I'm going to skip the front detail, we'll see. I do love how this project taught me that you can shape by lowering your needle size a few times, it's such a great trick, and I can't wait to try it on some other self designed project.

nightowl
06-23-2006, 09:43 AM
I found this http://www.woolneedlework.com/Yarn/giotto_by_colinette.shtml
Has anyone ordered from this place before? I haven't but was considering it.

Julie
06-23-2006, 09:59 AM
I've ordered from that site before...no problems...but this seller on eBay (http://stores.ebay.com/Cucumberpatch-UK_Colinette_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ10QQftidZ2Q QtZkm) has it cheaper. :thumbsup:

nightowl
06-23-2006, 11:48 AM
I just found that seller too on ebay. That seller has this website (also mentioned previously)
http://www.cucumberpatch.co.uk/giotto.htm