PDA

View Full Version : If you've purchased Addis from Jeff

wabbit
03-21-2006, 05:19 PM
How long did it take to ship them? Did you have any problems at all? I've been waiting almost 2 weeks and haven't heard anything even after trying to contact him twice :(

Maybe I just haven't waited long enough? I've never had anything mailed take that long to get here though. Anyone else?

Julie
03-21-2006, 05:29 PM
I've always gotten mine in a week -- and I've ordered a bunch of times. :D

brendajos
03-21-2006, 05:53 PM
for some reason nearly every time i have ordered from him has been over a holiday weekend. they have never taken more than 9 days even with the holiday figured in. I have never had trouble with communication with him but i have also only needed to communicate with him in requesting he get some bigger needles that i was searching for (and he had them within a few weeks! :cheering: )

i am sorry to hear that you are getting slow service... :( have you tried contacting him through both ebay and regular e-mail?

hedgehog
03-21-2006, 05:59 PM
The last time i ordered from him they came in about a week. That was before Christmas - like the beginning of Dec.

I just placed another order last Wed and they're not here yet. I'll let you know when they do arrive.

I'm sorry to hear you're still waiting :thinking: I hope they come soon!

-hh

rebecca
03-21-2006, 06:01 PM
I've ordered many addis from Jeff & it usually takes right at a week, but I have had it take up to 3 weeks :D

Indygirl
03-21-2006, 06:46 PM
My first order came in about 8 days. The last order took over 2 weeks. It's well worth the wait :happydance: Hope you get them soon.

Cristy
03-21-2006, 07:12 PM
My order took 7 days from the date he mailed them (From Wed. to Wed.) but it was took him three days to ship them after I paid although I paid w/i minutes of the auction's end...it was probably an issue w/ the time difference between here and there.

Jan in CA
03-21-2006, 07:38 PM
A little over a week for me. He's reliable though so I wouldn't worry to much.

Andrea
03-21-2006, 08:15 PM
I haven't gotten mine either :( I got the receipt that I paid on 03/10, but I haven't heard anything since---does he usually send out an email saying he's shipped them? I tried emailing him but he hasn't replied to that either. :(

brendajos
03-21-2006, 08:35 PM
i think of all the orders that i have placed with him, he has only sent shipment notice once.

wildforyarn
03-21-2006, 10:09 PM
I just placed my first order and paid for it on Friday. I will let you know when I get mine and see how we compare.

wabbit
03-21-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm mostly irritated that he won't respond. I don't think that is asking too much. So the average time is about a week then, pretty much what I thought. Guess I'll keep waiting...

JENinIA
03-22-2006, 09:18 AM
It probably depends where you live- it takes 2 weeks for me to get the needles usually!

rebecca
03-22-2006, 01:03 PM
I had to email him a few times to get a response when my needles were late once. A girl responded, I think that she isn't very fluent in English & perhaps this is why the response is slow in coming....keep trying, they will email you, I'm sure...he's very reliable....LOL, I've gotten over 20 addi's from them....it's an addiction :roflhard: :rofling:

Doublereeder2
03-23-2006, 12:57 AM
I also ordered once before and received my Addis in about 10 days. I just ordered some more on Saturday and (PayPal) paid him, so I will let you know when they arrive.

I :heart: my Addis

Treeling
03-23-2006, 01:34 AM
Yeeeah, I noticed quite a SOLID gap between when I bought & paid (buy it now) and when he emailed acknowledging that I had paid... About a week. And no mention of whether they've shipped yet.

I suppose Jeff is in the middle of a fascinating intarsia pattern and can't stand to put it down at the moment. Happens to the best of us. Well, not to me, not until I get my Addis ;)

Andrea
03-23-2006, 02:45 AM
:cheering: I got mine today! :cheering:
Paid: 03/10/06
Recieved: 03/22/06

Not bad :thumbsup: And in time for my drive to Florida!! :happydance:

Cristy
03-25-2006, 06:10 PM
I wanted to ask a question that I know I've seen in a thread but couldn't find it...about Jeff's addi's...someone mentioned that the packing is different...I also noticed this but didn't think anything of it until I noticed that one pair that I got from him has nothing stamped on the cord and has the metric size on the needle itself but nowhere else....none of my other addi's, regardless of where I purchased them, are like this. Even the others I got from Jeff are not like this. Anyone else encounter this?

brendajos
03-25-2006, 06:52 PM
i have some that have nothing on the wire. my recollection is that it is the wire of the smaller needles but i could be wrong on that.

wabbit
03-25-2006, 08:07 PM
I did get them a few days ago :D I guess I'm just anal about the way things 'should' happen IMO :lol: If I email a business person, they should at least email me back, which they did, but three days later. Anyway.

Cristy
03-25-2006, 08:32 PM
brendajos--since you said that--I went back and looked and it is the larger size that does NOT have anything printed on the cord...I bought two pair today from a LYS and I took them out and looked and the larger pair also did NOT have anything on the cord...maybe they only print on the cords of the smaller sizes? I hadn't really thought about it but I only have two larger sizes--a 10 and a 12--both are 34" matter of fact...all my other sizes are 8 and smaller. Guess I was just being paranoid...

bjc1050
03-27-2006, 02:26 PM
There is a very interesting discussion on KR about Cheap Addis. It started in September 2004 and is continuing. Here are some postings from December 2004 by the U.S. distributor. They may explain why there is sometimes a delay in shipping.

Comments from a December 2004 KR Needle forum subject Cheap Addis:

It would be impossible for us to see that the flow of all Addi products coming into the US (without going through Skacel) is stopped. However, we're beginning by focusing on the larger sellers (Vincy, Jeff, etc.). Remember, this will only affect those sellers who are shipping the needles from outside the US. Please know, we're not trying to be the bad guys here. I love a great deal just as much as the next person. However, these individuals are not playing by the rules. I trust that you will all understand. Regards, Rob

Skacel Collection, Inc.
North American Distributor for:
Addi Turbo
Schoeller+Stahl
Zitron Yarns
Schulana Yarns
Skacel Yarns

Later that month Rob posted this message:

I've just received an email from the home office in Germany. Our manufacturer has forced Vincy Ming to discontinue the sale of Addi needles via Ebay USA. I assume that needles coming out of the UK via Ebay will also be stopped.

Skacel Collection, Inc.
North American Distributor for:
Addi Turbo
Schoeller+Stahl
Zitron Yarns
Schulana Yarns
Skacel Yarns Go to Top of Page

bjc1050
03-27-2006, 02:28 PM
I've posted the previous and other comments by Rob on my blog Always A Beginner.

brendajos
03-27-2006, 02:34 PM
well from my understanding, Jeff had, at one point, changed his store name...i would guess that this is why. I would feel bad about the price i am getting but the price indicates to me that there is a huge markup because he is obviously making money off the needles and he is roughly 50% off what stores are getting...

i don't do illegal downloads of music and movies so i will sleep okay at night knowing that i am getting less expensive needles! ;) :rofling:

bjc1050
03-27-2006, 02:49 PM
I had just ordered from Jeff last Thursday or Friday...BEFORE I saw these postings. Just thought people would be interested. Still love my Silavumes...don't see any reason to replace them...just filling in sizes I don't have. I may still order from Jeff again. Just wondering if he will eventually be driven out of business.

volmel
03-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Beverly, what are Silavumes?

Mel

Cristy
03-27-2006, 04:00 PM
This is very interesting news indeed....I have never tried silverlumes (sp?) but will look for them--I've never seen them in my LYS--they are by Susan Bates, right? The only thing I have by susan bates are called quick silver.

bjc1050
03-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Silvalumes are by Susan Bates. They come in straight or circular. I love them. They feel just as good as Addis. The main benefits of Addis that I can tell are the straight shaft and the soft cable. I can't help but wonder if Addis have copied Susan Bates...or if Susan Bates has copied Addis. Ben Franklin stores carry the largest size selection of Susan Bates in our area.

bjc1050
03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
BTW, the circular needle size is etched on the needle shaft on the Susan Bates needles. They are just as slippery as Addis.

Sweet_Thang
03-28-2006, 10:10 AM
I just have to ask after reading everything in this thread and over at KR; are the Addi's that are on ebay from Jeff, true Addi circular needles and not imitations? I do understand that the "Addi Turbo" is only used in North America and that more than likely the circs from Jeff are european. But basically they are the exact same thing?

I really don't want to buy something and then be disappointed. I have really gotten into my addi's that I bought for my project and really want to get some 15's and 13's for my afghans and working them on my bamboo's are really starting to irritate me. Yet I really hate the thought of paying $23 for something when i can get the exact same product on ebay for 1/3 of the original price.

Somebody just give me a warm fuzzy so I can order my Addi's from Jeff!!

Pwease!!

TIA

lexie

:XX:

hedgehog
03-28-2006, 11:28 AM
I do think he sells the needles made for the European market. I received an order today and the packaging is entirely written in German and they say they are made in Germany. (one even says it's made in "W.Germany" - how quaint, but makes me wonder how old they are!!) :thinking:

I have to agree with whomever said that obviously there is a great mark-up on the normal Addis sold. If sellers on Ebay can profit at 50% retail price (and Jeff isn't the only one) then there must be quite a profit margin there. On the other hand, with Ebay sellers driving the profits down, will Addi continue to make their extended ranges and quality product that we all love? It's a catch 22 and one i'm not sure i'm ready to commit to on either side. Need to think about it more.

Do i love the Addis i've gotten through Ebay? YES. That is a given. Would i order more? Argh - perhaps? I originally thought there must be some undercutting going on somewhere when i first saw Jeff's store (and all the others). But i just assumed they were a sort of wholesale discount outlet (like all the discount malls and Costco/Sam's Club). I figured he bought at cost and sold for a smaller profit than retail shops that have a larger overhead. Idealistic? Perhaps. Now i'm not sure what i think.

However, as a side note, i realized this morning that the order i received from Jeff today was the wrong size!! ARGH! I don't know WHAT i was thinking but i ordered two sets of 12" needles instead of 16" needles. :wall: So. Annoying. They look so flippin' small i can't imagine EVER using them. *sigh* So that's my only complaint with Jeff... and it's my fault so it's not really about him. 'Cept i can't return 'em. :doh:

Silly hedgehog.

-hh

Cristy
03-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Lexie--it's really hard to say. I think most people think they are legit...they feel the same but I'm not a needle expert...

I have seen variations between the needles I bought from him and the ones bought at LYS (printing on cord, etc.) but then as soon as I posted that info, I bought two more pair from a LYS and noticed that they didn't have a printed cord either...I just don't know anymore. I like the needles I got from him and can't really find a difference...to me--if they work for you and you like them, who cares, you know?

Doublereeder2
03-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Mine arrived today - YAY! I ordered on 16 March, so it took two weeks. The postmark reads 21 March.

They are perfect in every way - I will certainly order from Jeff again.

JessicaR
03-30-2006, 10:53 PM
I got mine today too!

rebecca
03-30-2006, 11:01 PM
:D I should have some arriving any day now :cheering: :cheering: