PDA

View Full Version : OT: can i return stuff at walmart without a receipt?

azalea
03-22-2006, 12:03 AM
I bought some needles at walmart two days ago that I need to return bc they're too small. I'm such an idiot, bc I threw the receipt away today when i purged my wallet. They're still in their packaging, and i have the walmart bag that they came in. Will they take them back? I just want to exchange them.

Please say yes! lol

Friskums
03-22-2006, 12:28 AM
Yeah. Just make sure you have your drivers license with you and they can return them (and put the money on a gift card) or exhange them.

I was a CSM at Wal-Mart. That's the policy. Especially if they haven't been opened.

So, don't fret. You can.

Jan in CA
03-22-2006, 12:29 AM
I don't know their policy, but you can always call them. ARe they still in the packages? They probably won't take them at all unless they are, but you can still ask. Also they may not return your money, but possibly will exchange or give you a GC. Have to call and ask about the policy at your store.

Friskums
03-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Depends on the store, too. The one in Casselberry, FL will take cd's back even if they are opened. They, literally, would take ANYTHING back.

Which really pissed me off and is why I quit. How am I supposed to do my job enforcing the policy that the corporate office set when the assistant and store managers would 'talk' to you when you do your job right. Cashiers got scolded all the time for checking ID's and signatures.

I got taken into the back and 'talked' to because I wouldn't let a man use his wife's card. That wasn't signed on the back anyway. Apparently because the register prompted me to ask for his ID (which I always do anyway, and if there's any cashiers on the forum, you should to) I didn't get in actual trouble.

The guy threw a big fit, the managers came up, refunded the money on his card (that he had to use since I wouldn't take his wife's) and charged it to his wife's card anyway.

I think that was the day I started actively looking for a new job.
I don't mind Walmart in general, but I hate that store.

Uh...*gets off soapbox* sorry... :oops:

cheesiesmom
03-22-2006, 10:18 AM
I got taken into the back and 'talked' to because I wouldn't let a man use his wife's card. That wasn't signed on the back anyway.

frisky--

I for one appreciate your abiding by the established rules. My DD had her purse stolen and the perps took her credit card, when around the corner to a supermarket and charged $350 worth of stuff. If someone had questioned it, it would have saved everyone a LOT of hassle!

Gladys, all for the rules in Michigan!!

Friskums
03-22-2006, 12:07 PM
I was thanked on almost a daily basis (back in my home store) for checking ID's. Very rarely was anyone upset (unless they didn't have one).
Granted I was working overnight and the people who came in on a regular basis you get to know so I didn't ask them every time, but I did still check the name on the card to make sure it wasn't someone else's.

They only 'talked' to me, cuz how can you write someone up for following policy? :rollseyes:

knitwit2
03-22-2006, 03:39 PM
I returned PSP (Personal Sony Playstation) games at Walmart before without a receipt and they told me that I could return 3 items in a year without a receipt.

Hope this helps.

nicolethegeek
03-22-2006, 07:17 PM
The corporate policy at WM is now that refunds are generally not given without a receipt. It changed about a year ago. If you don't have a receipt, and push it, they will give you a gift card with the refund amount on it. And they don't accept returns after 90 days either. The policy used to be extremely liberal, but it cost them tons. Now they've finally changed to one that's more in line with most of retail.

I do agree though, that the policy and how well it is adhered to depends on the clerk you have, and the manager on duty that day... nearly impossible to get any kind of consistency.

Azalea... considering that you want to exchange them rather than return them outright, you will probably get pretty good cooperation even though you don't have a receipt.

CarmenIbanez
03-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Just a thought on the credit card issue. I never sign mine. I use a sharpie marker and I write "please ask for photo i.d." Now technically the credit cards aren't valid unless you sign them, but I have done this for 10 years now. I have never had a problem being able to use the card and more people ask for my i.d. than before I did this.

Friskums
03-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Yeah, technically the card isn't valid. But, if it says Check ID, most places won't give you a problem with it.

When I said it wasn't signed, the back was blank. No CID, no sig, nothing.

I acutally both sign mine, and write CID.

CarmenIbanez
03-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Yeah. Blank is no bueno! :-)

I can't believe how many people either a) do not look at the back of the card or b) look, see that I wrote CID, and still don't ask for ID!

Friskums
03-22-2006, 07:56 PM
I can't believe how many people still don't sign their damn cards. Why on Earth, would you not?

...Of course, I guess if people don't look and/or don't ask, that makes it a more moot too. :?

vcuchica931
03-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah I know what you mean. I wrote "Please See ID" on my card over my signature just to see how many people would check and for security reasons of course, and 99% no one checks.

I've done this because of the customers at the store I work at (H&M), they always thank me when I ask for their ids and comment on how no one else in the mall asks them.

Its sad. I dont see why cashiers don't do it, they could get in a lot of trouble if someone actually stole a card and they completed the transaction.

Rennagayle
03-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Our Wal-Mart will let you return just about anything, and it doesn't even have to be in the package, still.

I recently purchased an extension cord for my usb, as my port is in the rear of my computer tower, which is not easily accessable. However, when I got it out of the package, the cord was only a couple of feet long, which didn't really solve my problem. It was one of those thick plastic packages where you practically need a blow torch to get the silly thing opened. I had cut the package all to pieces, trying to get to the cord. They still refunded us, no problem!

Our Wal-Mart will let you return something up to 3 times within a 6 months period without a receipt (provided you have a drivers license).

Shandeh
03-23-2006, 07:55 AM
I've returned lots of things to Walmart, and have never had a problem.

cheesiesmom
03-23-2006, 09:40 AM
I hear a funny story about Nordstroms, a rather high end department store. They were so into making the customer happy that they would refund on stuff they didn't even sell. One return that they accepted was a set of automobile tires. Now that's customer service!! :lol:

Gladys in Michigan, where it's supposed to snow...again. Bah, Humbug!