PDA

View Full Version : What's the most $ you've spent on yarn...what's "too mu

hedgewick
03-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Just wondering how much you all have spent on yarn, a project and what you consider to be just "too much"?

nicolethegeek
03-22-2006, 07:52 PM
I've spent more than $200 in one day on various supplies. That was for a multitude of projects though. So far my most expensive project is my Skacel pinwheel sweater. I spent about $130 on the yarn for that. I think "too much" depends on what the item is and what it is for. Mainly I look at what it will cost me to make, and whether or not I think the finished item is worth it.

I have a circular shrug that I desperately want to make, and I've budgetted around $100 for it. At the same time I'm hunting for wool to make a sweater for myself for under $30 because it's not worth more than that to me.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-22-2006, 07:55 PM
I recently spent 70 bucks on one skein of yarn. Too much? nahhhhh.

DH and I have an ongoing "argument" .... whenever I go to buy yarn, he says "try and keep it reasonable".... Well, to me, spending 70 bucks at the yarn store-on 1 ball of yarn or 7 balls-- is reasonable. UNreasonable woul dbe spending 800 dollars when we only have 700 in the checking account. Right? He usually disagrees with me...

CarmenIbanez
03-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Aaaahhh yes. The perennial argument, no? I agree with Hildie. I spend what I can afford. Too much is buying something when you know you don't have the money for it. Spending $1000 would be reasonable, if you had the money and that is what you wanted. I don't see knitting as different from anything else. If we can afford it, we eat steaks. If we're broke, it's mac and cheese. Does that make sense? That's how I look at it. It is all worth to you what you want it to be worth. I like that Hildie spent $70 on a skein of yarn. How can you put a price on happiness?

I forgot to answer the question! HA! I think the most I have spent in a day is a pretty low number. However, when I added up all the costs for the first year I was knitting, it all added up to about $750. Now, this includes supplies like needles and scissors and stitch markers and bins to put yarn in, and so on etc.

IrishBaby
03-22-2006, 08:03 PM
I refuse to knit with bad yarn. :) For me, knitting is about the process as much as the end result. And I want to enjoy the process. It's my entertainment as well as my craft as well as my sweater budget. :) You will never be sorry you used quality materials. :)

CateKnits
03-22-2006, 08:04 PM
I agree with the reasonable is what you can afford thing. In that sense, I did once spend $68 to make a sweater (which is still unfinished) and that caused me to eat sandwiches for a week...but I'm a college kid, so it didn't kill me. I could still afford my books that quarter and gas to get to class, so why not?

CarmenIbanez
03-22-2006, 08:06 PM
I refuse to knit with bad yarn. :) For me, knitting is about the process as much as the end result. And I want to enjoy the process. It's my entertainment as well as my craft as well as my sweater budget. :) You will never be sorry you used quality materials. :)

Amen sister!

wildforyarn
03-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Hilde, just out of curiousity, what did you purchase that was $70/skein? And, what was the yardage? Do you have a specific project for it or did you just fall in love?

My problem is that I usually purchase like 3 skeins at a time and not enough for a project because I feel a little guilty I guess shelling out $75 or $100 at a time for a project... However, I have found that this practice just gets me a huge stash, but not a lot of things to do with it. So, I agree with the others, spend what you can afford, but at the same time, have a project in mind when you go. ;)

Ingrid
03-22-2006, 08:16 PM
The most I ever spent on one skein of yarn is $50. It is hand dyed alpaca that I got at Webs. I loved it so much I got 2. ;) I did get 25% off, and each skein is 600 yards, so it's not that bad.

In fact, I loved it so much I sent for a third one just so I knew I'd have enough for a sweater. I haven't even rolled it into balls yet because I love it the way it is.

I don't want to know how much I've spent in the last year on yarn. Nonononononono!

brendajos
03-22-2006, 08:29 PM
i think we all have our very own specific threashhold for "pain." my very first hank that i learned the knit stitch on was somewhere around $25-30. ummm yeah if i had seen the price i never would have spent that...lol. the LYS is very good at hiding prices! :rofling: i have spent that much on a skein since but not often. i just can't bring myself to it for some reason. Oddly, the $90 stuff at the LYS doesn't attract me at all. doesn't feel good and sorta looks like fun fur.

i have spent more than $20 for about 3 yards of angora but it feels so yummy! i am not really sure what my threshhold is but it could easily be moved for the right level of yummy! :rofling:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-22-2006, 08:57 PM
poo. I knew someone was going to ask what it was! I chucked the label, of course :doh: It's three strands... mohair, a glittery thing, and skiiiiny eyelash yarn. Here's some pictures. I had to wind two balls, but it ended up being about 200 yards total.

I saw it and fell in love! I had visions of a feather and fan wrap thing, but I bought it over 2 months ago and it still sits in balls.... that's my biggest problem, buying LOTS of yarn, and not doing anything with it. I think I subconsciously just like to have yarn...

geekgolightly
03-22-2006, 10:13 PM
i have spent more than $20 for about 3 yards of angora but it feels so yummy! i am not really sure what my threshhold is but it could easily be moved for the right level of yummy! :rofling:

what do you do with 3 yards of angora? bunnies are SO SO soft :thumbsup:

brendajos
03-22-2006, 10:22 PM
lol it was actually more than that (i am given to hyperbole ya know... :rofling: ) but it isn't much. it is to be a fringe on the Teddy Hood (from Knitters Stash)....i got bored making it though and had to put it down for a bit.

hedgewick
03-22-2006, 11:01 PM
Goodness ladies! I feel really silly now worrying about spending money on yarn for a baby blanket from knitpicks! I'm new to knitting and am totally sticker shocked when looking at "real yarn" prices. I'm used to getting the stuff at joanns. Even in there I get really cheap. I think I'm in big trouble! :XX:

margie
03-22-2006, 11:13 PM
I don't think that I have spent much more than around $100 at a single time for yarn- but I would shudder to think about how much I have spent overall in the past year!! I think that the most I have spent on a project would be my karaoke clapotis- which was around $70 or so. To me, it was worth it, because I love the yarn so much and the project was a challenge for me, which makes me feel proud when I look at the clapotis. Plus, I am worth it!!! ;)

ekgheiy
03-22-2006, 11:19 PM
:shock: Wowwie - $50 ... $70 on one skein of yarn?? That's so totally out of my league... :help:

mintdee
03-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Goodness ladies! I feel really silly now worrying about spending money on yarn for a baby blanket from knitpicks! I'm new to knitting and am totally sticker shocked when looking at "real yarn" prices. I'm used to getting the stuff at joanns. Even in there I get really cheap. I think I'm in big trouble! :XX:

Ohhh you get over that real quick. ;)

Most I ever spent was 75.00 for a sweater. Didn't even blink :D

Treeling
03-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Well, I splurged on Knit Pick's ambrosia for my scarf, and it was barely a splurge because a scarf doesn't take much yarn....

but I did experience the whole "WOW! It's totally worth it!" epiphany as it knit up-- it was just so lovely and soft and just a wonderful tactile experience. So I could easily see splurging to a much larger extent on something even more luscious.

3 yards of Angora... well, as a bunny owner, let me tell you... they are an absolute joy (really!) to have hopping about the house --I'm a HOUSE bunny owner--... Ours are Rex which means their fur is unbelievably soft... Did I have a point? Oh yes! Get yourself a bunny and grow your own yarn! (minus the cost of spinning wheel, carding combs, baby carrots, bunny food....) ;)

Andrea
03-23-2006, 02:49 AM
I spent $189 total for Afghan yarn (12 hanks of Manos del Uruguay :inlove: ), my DH was with me for that. That's the most I've spent at once. When he tells me to "slow down", I always tell him that spending $$ on yarn is different than spending $$ on food or drinking---it will never be wasted! I :heart: YARN!

Shandeh
03-23-2006, 07:50 AM
The most I have spent on yarn was the day my husband took me to a yarn store for my first outing after my hysterectomy. I could hardly walk, but I really wanted to see that store. They were having a sale, and I had never been to that store before.

I looked through the sale items and grabbed about 4 skeins that were 40% off, then I went to the regular priced items. I was interested in the Noro Kureyon, because I'd never bought any before. I asked to see a certain color by number, because I'd been drooling over it online for a while. My husband was around the corner listening, and came up and said, "Go ahead and get it". He asked me how many do I need for my project, and I told him 3. He grabbed 3 skeins and asked me if I wanted anything else. I was speechless.

When we got to the counter, he said, "Why didn't you get more of that mohair you liked in the sale section?" And then he went and got 2 more skeins! Again....I was speechless.

We spent almost 60 dollars, which seemed like a lot to me. I usually buy my yarn on sale at Hobby Lobby or Michaels.

When we got in the car, I asked him why he wanted to buy that yarn for me. He said, "When I saw you ask to see some of it by color number, I knew you'd been wanting it for a while." He is such a sweetie. He also said that he wanted to give me a special treat for going through such a difficult surgery. (It lasted 3 hours, and I had to get 3 units of blood.)

I guess I'll just have to keep this guy.

Nikki
03-23-2006, 08:50 AM
I agree with Irishbaby. Don't knit with nasty yarn! I'm going to get that sneeze yarn yet. I guess the most expensive yarn I've bought was the nasty stuff I bought at Walmart to learn on, look where that took me!

Nikki

ekgheiy
03-23-2006, 09:01 AM
The most I have spent on yarn was the day my husband took me to a yarn store for my first outing after my hysterectomy. [...] I guess I'll just have to keep this guy. Yes yes ... keep'em!!! Too sweet! :notworthy:

Jax3303
03-23-2006, 09:36 AM
the most I've ever spent per skein of yarn was $18 for a hank of Cherry tree hill supersock. I usually like to keep my yarn purchases to $10/skein or less.

My mom gave me some birthday money recently, here's how I spent it (all online, and all within a week). I spent $55 at amazon.com on a gathering of lace, knitting vintage socks, SnB Nation and a non knitting book(the handmaids tale). Then I went to Kaleidoscope yarns (kyarns.com) and spent about $50 on needles, 3 hanks of cascade 220 and a chibi. I went to joann.com and spent $30 on more yarn and some cheap needles, and another portion of it went to webs. at webs I got some brown sheep cotton fleece (4 skeins), and some more needles. I spent just about $50. I think my birthday money was well spent.

feministmama
03-23-2006, 11:10 AM
I keep looking at this thread waiting for someone to say "there's no such things as spending too much...."

Ingrid
03-23-2006, 11:20 AM
I keep looking at this thread waiting for someone to say "there's no such things as spending too much...."

That's a given. ;)

nicolethegeek
03-23-2006, 11:29 AM
:roflhard:

I'd say the only way that you could spend too much is if you were spending like a TRUE addict... meaning that you weren't taking care of your necessities, and spending everything you have {and don't have} on yarn and such... like a gambling or drug addict would.

That being said, I'm the first to admit that I have SABLE several times over, and still buy more. But I have a roof over my head, my family is fed, and when money is really tight around here, I go through binges of stash busting since I have my own yarn bank!!

Bentwhiskers
03-23-2006, 11:47 AM
the handmaids tale
Maraget Atwood is a whole other addiction :P

njknitter
03-23-2006, 11:48 AM
When you put so much work into a project, it seems mandatory to have the right materials. Why kill yourself making a gourmet dinner if you use crap ingredients???

I bought some Japanese yarn (daiketo) at a LYS while on vacation last summer. I wanted to make scarves for my two niece-in-laws. Got home, started knitting and realized I would need double the amount I bought. No local stores carry that yarn and I couldn't find it online, so I called the store where I bought it and luckily got what I needed.

End of the story....two beautiful scarves for the beautiful girls that married my twin nephews at the bargain price of $70 a scarf!!!!

Below is a pic of one...

Lynn

NinaT
03-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi!
I just got birthday money from my mom too! I had just received the KnitPicks catalog in the mail and I was in HEAVEN!! I ordered the Andean Treasure Kit and some Suri Dream and tons of sock yarns (I love making socks) plus some yarn to make lace shawls. I would NEVER spend $50 for a vest for myself if I saw it in the store! I look at it as spending $50 for the enjoyment of MAKING the vest and then I have something beautiful to wear. I put yarn purchases in the "entertainment budget" along with movies and books. I saw a description of different kinds of knitters (I think it was in SnB) and I was the kind that looks at something and says "I want to make that" as opposed to saying "I want to wear that". I don't wear shawls, but boy it looked challenging and fun to make!

Cristy
03-23-2006, 12:52 PM
I think the most expensive skein of yarn I 've ever bought was probably Berroco Medley (which is only about $9.00) but it's b/c I haven't had something I wanted to buy that cost more than that. Last week I visited the not so local LYS and spent $75.00 --I bought a size 6 addi circ ($17.99 maybe), six skeins of Paton's Canadiana to finish a warm-up america afghan and 6 skeins of Plymouth Dreambaby DK for a shawl I'm working on for my grandmother. Dh doesn't say anything about what I spend on yarn although I'm sure there are times that he panicks when he sees how much I spend. The $75.00 was a test or sorts and he never said a word (I usually tell him when I plan to spend more than $20.00 or $30.00 but I didn't this time). I'm sure that if money was no option, I would purchase anything--despite it's price. The dreambaby, btw, was selected b/c it was cheaper than the yarn the pattern called for (something in microfiber...dreambaby is microfiber and acrylic). I guess I do try to keep it reasonable but I agree that "reasonable" is subjective and based on your financial situation.

jodstr2
03-23-2006, 01:08 PM
the most I ever spent in an LYS on one trip was about $200 on books, needles, Cascade Sierra Quatro for a sweater, and a bunch of 220.

KPPPM is expensive only because a $44+tax scarf seems expensive for me. these Chevron scarves take a bit more than 1 skein each of 2 different colors, so I buy 4 skeins. but I :inlove: :heart: LOOOOOVE :heart: :inlove: KPPPM. the colors and the clean twists and plies just RELAX me and make me drool. so it's expensive, but it's worth it.

CV doesn't say much when I buy yarn but I try to be reasonable about my spending. when we have discussed it, he says knitting makes me happy, so go right ahead. believe me I wanna buy so much more than I do right now but I keep it within reason.

Jan in CA
03-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Unfortunately my DH is retired and we are living on a fixed income so my yarn budget is limited. DH usually tells me to buy what I need...however he knows that I am a careful shopper so he figures he's safe in saying that. :rollseyes:

I don't think I've spent more than about $7 for a skein even from the LYS and total not more than about $30 at a time. Of course I've only been knitting since October so that could all change. :roflhard:

geekgolightly
03-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately my DH is retired and we are living on a fixed income so my yarn budget is limited. DH usually tells me to buy what I need...however he knows that I am a careful shopper so he figures he's safe in saying that. :rollseyes:

I don't think I've spent more than about $7 for a skein even from the LYS and total not more than about $30 at a time. Of course I've only been knitting since October so that could all change. :roflhard:

Have you thought about making things for people in exchange for supplies? someone i know commented on a yarn i was using; that she would love a scarf made from it, and i said, ill make it for you if you buy the needles i have to use for it (the yarn was super cheap so i didnt ask her to buy the yarn as well) and she jumped at the chance.

you could turn your habit/hobby into something that, if you dont actually make a profit, at least it can start to pay for itself. im a nurse and im the sole breadwinner for the family (currently) so i know what you mean by fixed income. yeeesh!

Jan in CA
03-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Have you thought about making things for people in exchange for supplies? someone i know commented on a yarn i was using; that she would love a scarf made from it, and i said, ill make it for you if you buy the needles i have to use for it (the yarn was super cheap so i didnt ask her to buy the yarn as well) and she jumped at the chance.

you could turn your habit/hobby into something that, if you dont actually make a profit, at least it can start to pay for itself. im a nurse and im the sole breadwinner for the family (currently) so i know what you mean by fixed income. yeeesh!

Interesting idea, GGL. I might give that a try if I ever KIP and someone says something like that. ;)

You'll notice I didn't complain too loudly... last summer DH finally let me buy an expensive digital camera. ;) :shock: :cheering: I just have to wait till the timing is right..can't just go out and spend. ;)

rebecca
03-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Some people might say that :shock: $20-$25 :shock: on a pair of socks is excessive...but...who would that be?! :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:

allegra918
03-23-2006, 02:32 PM
on a recent trip to San Francisco, where a pity party was in order (I didn't do well at an audition), I spent $300 on yarn at ImagiKnits. I found things there that my great LYS doesn't have and yarns I had only dreamed of......
I won't use bad yarn either......I figure I'm not addicted to anything bad, like heroin or even coffee (ok, maybe chai, but that's it!), so this is a GOOD addiction......

Wow, Hildie, what kind of yarn was $70/SKEIN?!?!?!? I think the most I spent on one hank/skein was $30 something. And it was Baby Alpaca @ something like 600 yds/hank

Shandeh
03-23-2006, 03:55 PM
I just remembered that I bought a $12.00 skein at a LYS. It was a large skein of beautiful DARK blue sock yarn that really stood out from the rest. I just hope I have enough in that one skein to make a pair of socks....that store is closed now. :crying:

Another thing.....you didn't ask how much I paid for FIBER. I'm also a spinner, so I buy raw wool, alpaca, cotton, nylon and silk online all the time. In the past year, I have spent almost 200 dollars on spinning fiber.

Here is a photo of a display of beautiful handspun yarn I saw at our state's fiber fair last year - that was my biggest temptation. :drooling:

I've also included some shots of my fiber collection. I hope that one day I'll spin well enough to make skeins like I saw at the fair.

wildforyarn
03-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Beautiful fiber! Where do you usually purchase from? I am making payments on an Ashford Wheel and have a stock of fiber, but not spun anything yet. Can't wait to start!

knitstress_tygher
03-23-2006, 09:56 PM
How much total? Oh lord, I have lost track of that. How much at one time? Probably about $50-$60.

What's just too much? Well, I just try to keep our finances in mind. Especially since I'm not working. DH works in car sales, so I try to keep that in mind, and not overspend on Yarn no matter how pretty. I save for when I have a project in mind though, and he doesn't mind if I spend more when I have a specific use for the yarn I buy.

knitstress_tygher
03-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Here is a photo of a display of beautiful handspun yarn I saw at our state's fiber fair last year - that was my biggest temptation. :drooling:

I've also included some shots of my fiber collection. I hope that one day I'll spin well enough to make skeins like I saw at the fair.
Fiber Fair?? When?? Where??

Darhain
03-23-2006, 11:02 PM

Exactly! If I am going to spend my time (worth more to me than the money) knitting, I'm going to be using quality materials to do it!

They yarn IrishBaby sells is divine, btw! I want some of that custom dyed Galenas merino! :drooling:

Shandeh
03-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Fiber Fair?? When?? Where??

The Southeastern Animal and Fiber Fair take place in the mountains of North Carolina, near Asheville on October 27th, 28th and 29th, 2006.

Here's a link to the website
http://www.saffsite.org/page.php?page=home.htm

I went last year, and LOVED it.

Darhain
03-23-2006, 11:13 PM
I am just about to place my most expensive yarn order ever, actually. I've decided to make a clapotis for myself in Manos, and I want to make a matching bag (Booga or Sophie or ... I'm not sure yet ;)) to go with it. All total it's going to be over $100, most likely, and that's even after I'm getting a really great price break on the yarn through a co-op. I'm also buying some Brittany DPNs through the co-op, so it's going to be a pricey order. It's my birthday present, though, and DH told me to do spoil myself. :)

Shandeh
03-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Beautiful fiber! Where do you usually purchase from? I am making payments on an Ashford Wheel and have a stock of fiber, but not spun anything yet. Can't wait to start!

I have an Ashford Traditional Wheel that I bought at a consignment store. I got lucky finding one locally at a bargain. :D I usually buy my fiber on eBay, but got some of it at the NC Fiber Fair last year.

The Foxfire Cotton was on sale at the fair, and it is so cool! It comes naturally in those colors - it's not dyed. I also got lots of alpaca there. It was really neat seeing all the fiber animals up close and personal. The alpacas were so gentle and sweet - they were my favorite. I also enjoyed seeing the angora rabbits - they are HUGE! Their fiber is incredibly soft, so I had to buy some of that also. :inlove:

I have more fiber now than I think I will ever spin, but I could be wrong. Learning to spin is hard, but so rewarding. Your best bet to help you learn is to take a class or watch a video. I never really understood how to spin until I saw it in action.

NinaT
03-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Carolina, do you recommend any particular spinning videos? I know I should go to the spinning Topics (I will now)!

Julie
03-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Hillllldddiieeee...is that perhaps Prism (http://www.prismyarn.com/stuff-colors.htm) yarn???

I ask 'cause my mom is knitting with it right now....it looks very similar to your picture. She bought 2 skeins for a project then found out that what she bought were actually half skeins (at $50 each :shock: :shock: :shock: ) and she needed to get two more to finish. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Shandeh
03-23-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi NinaT,

I like these:

"Spinning and Weaving the Ashford Way" - www.ashford.co.nz
(because it shows MY wheel in use)

How to Make Yarn (With the Art of Spinning) - A Fiber Fling Production
(because it shows alternative methods)

I got the second one on eBay - it's a DVD. Not very professional, but it gave me lots of good ideas.

I'm still learning myself, but I'm making yarn!

Mer
03-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Obviously "too much" is different for everyone--I think the most I ever spent at the LYS was $95. But lots of little purchases add up, don't they? ;) I was thinking as I was standing in line to buy my $95 worth of stuff that it was a lot, and then I heard the total of the woman in front of me--$600! It was during my LYS's big sale, and the owner said that wasn't even the record for the day ($950, I think).

brendajos
03-24-2006, 11:20 AM
oooooh if we are talking about single shopping trips the most i have spent is probably right around $200. it seems a whole lot better, in my head, when that $200 was spent on 10-20 skeins/hanks of yarn! Some how i have managed to become some weird hybrid of a shop-a-holic. I love shopping, love having nice things, but hate spending top dollar on them. I want the top dollar stuff...just don't want to PAY top dollar.....actually that's probably not that weird at all huh? :rofling:

NinaT
03-24-2006, 11:49 AM
I want the top dollar stuff...just don't want to PAY top dollar.....actually that's probably not that weird at all huh? :rofling:
I think that's why some of us knit. It lets us have premium knitted items without paying premium prices! Plus, we get to have the exact color and size we want. I like making something that would go for BIG dollars at a store for the cost of the yarn. Even if we use expensive yarns the item we make would be so much more if we had to buy it. I see it as a bonus that I had the fun of making it! I really want to have a Dale of Norway sweater (they go for $300-$400). I fgure I can pay $125 for the yarn and have the fun and challenge of making my own. (Plus all the compliments :blush: !)

brendajos
03-24-2006, 01:31 PM
are you kidding? :rofling: i spend way more on the yarn to MAKE a purse than i actually would pay for the purse in the store!! :rofling: :roflhard: to make it worse....i don't even USE any of the purses i make!!

though i gather the people who say they want them (and almost always get them) actually do use them.

nanonette
03-24-2006, 07:37 PM
I guess that I shouldn't feel bad that my "most I've ever spent at a LYS" was today at $50 for one sweater (short-sleeved)! It's my first venture into the big time! And I'm afraid I'm quickly on my way to becoming a yarn snob.

:shock: :doh: :blush: :roflhard:

nicolethegeek
03-25-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm afraid I'm quickly on my way to becoming a yarn snob.
My best friend often teases me that I've become more of a fibre snob in the last year {when I *really* got into knitting}, than the previous 15 years of crocheting managed to!

LeslieA
03-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Ok the very first yarn I bought is what started me into doing this. It was one hank of gorgeousness. And my sister in law talked me into it. It cost $37 for just the one hank. It has eyelash, metallic and like a varigated. I'll take a pic when I put batteries in my camera. But the funny thing is I bought this yarn without knowing how to knit yet. :rollseyes: This was last fall.

Cristy
03-25-2006, 06:18 PM
scratch my previous post...I just spent more today at one time than I have in the past....$91.02 after a 20% discount. :) And it's dh's idea....hehehahahahahahheheheheahhaha....he'll never take me shopping again!

ecb
03-25-2006, 07:09 PM
$28US for a single skein of Chenile
I am still not done the little scarf

ecb

Marni
03-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Yikes!! You mean I might get addicted to knitting and become a yarn snob? Fortunately so far I'm oblivious to the difference between a "great" yarn and a skein from JoAnns. I went to a LYS once and was terrified!

I'm definitely a cheapo yarn shopper! I'm currently collecting yarn for a project one skein at a time with the Michaels and JA 40% off coupons. I only need 4 more coupons!! I think they're starting to know me too. :blush:

Celine
03-26-2006, 10:02 PM
I've only been seriously knitting for the past year. I bought two beautiful hand painted hanks of wool that cost me $36.00 each. So far thats the most expensive that I've purchased. But I agree with what someone else here said. If you can afford it...then it's not too expensive to buy for yourself. :XX: :XX:

Pixywhispers
03-26-2006, 10:40 PM
heh, lots of different answers.

I try to have a project in mind before I buy yarn. It has to be beautiful and fun to knit with like Noro or just feel like heaven like Bliss Cashmerino. I really have to resist the "I love it, I'll figure it out later" purchases. But if our income goes up, I'll start that, believe me I'll do it, just watch me. I usually keep my LYS trips to about $80, thats needles and a few small projects, every two to three months. The booties I like to knit are gorgeous! I know I would pay $80 for one pair in a shop. I splurge a little so my kids can have some nice heirlooms from their baby/childhood that they can pass down.

ekgheiy
07-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Bump for becjo. ;) :thumbsup:

EssenceRose
07-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Well, I'm not sure when it happened but.... I was browsing through the local yarn store the other day and suddenly the cheap yarn no longer appealed to me. In fact, I touched it and went ICK, there's no way I'm using that cheap stuff... then went on to the more expensive yarns.

Then suddenly, as I was holding this very soft and lovely and very expensive yarn in my hand I suddenly realized that somehow -- I had turned into a bit of a yarn snob!! Since when was I picky about the kind of yarn I used to knit??? *sigh*

I always said it would never happen. I guess I was wrong. $35 for a 50g ball later, and I walked out knowing that I would never look at yarn the same again. :rofling:

Chinchilla
07-18-2006, 01:47 PM
:XX: Marjie you good looking gal .The most expensive yarn I bought was about 25.00s a ball but over the last few years I just hang my head in shame then as I don't work tell my hubby I just MUST have that one or I'll be sooooooooooooo sad .

Mama Bear
07-18-2006, 03:51 PM
What an interesting thread! For myself, I had to find a way to combine my love of luxury yarns with my deep seated money saving ways.

My husband and I have a deal. He bought snowcats (snow vehicles that will carry up to 6 or 7 people each). I get to buy enough yarn to fill said snowcats.

After the deal I asked him if he realized that there were yarns that cost enough per ounce that I could make his snowcat purchase look VERY small compared to enough yarn to fill one. He said he hadn't really thought about it but that he wasn't worried as I was more likely to fill them with cashmere I found for $1 a pound than with $40 an ounce yarns. He knows me too well!

Just yesterday I bought about 2 pounds of 100% cashmere yarn (1 lb of pink, and 1 pound of a denim blue) and a pound of 100% angora black yarn!

Total: $15.97

Ok... so they are still in sweaters ;) I LOVE luxury yarns. I like having tons on hand because I like to try out things, make up my own, combine fibers, and have fibers to sort through and give me ideas. I like to be able to knit on a whim and not wait for a package to arrive (I don't have a LYS). I like being able to keep tons of yarn on hand and yet feel totally comfortable with how much money I have tied up in fiber. I like knowing that I could probably get more for my stash than I paid for it if I were to need the funds.

Plus, I actually enjoy the process of reclaiming the yarns from the sweaters. I know reclaiming yarn isn't for everyone. I'm just saying for me, it satisfies both sides of my personality.

That doesn't mean I don't like buying wonderful new yarns too! I am just able to supplement that with luxury yarns that I reclaimed so it all goes farther and averages out well. I'm the same way about eating out. If I have to choose between my husband and I going to McD's 10 times, or eating out at a lovely restaurant once, I'll choose the once at the lovely restaurant. However, there were times in my life when just getting OUT of the house was more important to me than what I was eating and then I would have probably chosen the opposite, so I'm not saying my reasons or choices apply to anyone else.

One of my larger single purchases would have been when Elann had Pakucho Organic Cotton on sale. I bought about 110 skeins. I figured if I didn't use it all I could ebay it for more than I paid for it, and end up with even more yarn money. Doesn't that make the yarn an investment? ;) However, at the rate we seem to be going through it (my 2 daughter's and I) I think it will all get used. I could never replace it for what I bought it for!

I bought the first 95 skeins and that, along with previous purchases, gave me enough elann points to get the $50 credit. Turned around and used the $50 credit to buy another 15 skeins. I ended up spending about $275 for the 110 skeins.

Most expensive single skein I have bought would probably be $25, but that's not really fair because it was an 8 oz skein of Angora Valley sock yarn, so actually much cheaper per ounce than other sock yarns I have bought.

I was tempted by Quivet, but haven't succumbed (yet!). I just know somewhere deep in my bones that I will find it on sale!

I bought some lovely white 100% angora for some Christmas stockings (to match ones that have been in the family for 50 years). The snowman is a very white angora, and I was having trouble finding any that was a bright white, not at all tan or natural. I was at the point of being willing to pay $25 or $30 a 25 gram skein when I walked into a yarn shop while on a trip and there sat 2 skeins. The shop owner sold them to me for $10 each since they had been on the shelf awhile! My mother claims that I attract bargains like a magnet.

On my list to buy and try: Malabrigo, and Toots LeBlanc (http://www.tootsleblanc.com/) I fondled the Toots LeBlanc at a fiber festival and it is SO lovely. However, I'll wait to buy these until I have a specific project in mind.

I have a specific Dale of Norway project in mind, but since I'm not ready to start it, I keep watching for a sale on one of their yarns that will work for it. I JUST missed a great 50% off sale on some a few months ago :(

I just want to encourage those who would love to knit with luxury yarns but can't afford full price luxury yarns, there are deals out there and ways to make it work!

Ok.. more than anyone probably wanted to know! :roflhard:

Mama Bear

itsbecca1979
07-18-2006, 03:52 PM
At once? About $22 for 4 skeins of Encore for my HP Scarf.