PDA

View Full Version : FO - One down...a basketful to go..

Jan in CA
03-25-2006, 11:54 AM
My first egg. I bought some bamboo DPNs yesterday... what a world of difference they make! I also bought some cheap Red Heart to practice figuring it wouldn't be next to skin so it probably didn't make much difference. Only problem is now I've got a big skein of scratchy ick. :rollseyes: Whatever... it was only $1.88 a skein! :roflhard:

Now..to get some more colors and make the basket..................

That little yarn that looks wonky...isn't really that bad. It's just the angle.
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/61411666-L.jpg

Ingrid
03-25-2006, 11:57 AM
:cheering: It looks great!!!

gardenmommy
03-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Beautiful colors, it looks like a real dye color! Is that the Red Heart?

IrishBaby
03-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Looks awesome!

Jan in CA
03-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Beautiful colors, it looks like a real dye color! Is that the Red Heart?

Thanks! Yeah, it reminded me of those egg dyes that you marbled..I think they had vegetable oil in them or something. Yes, this is Red Heart Supersaver in #310 Monet.

feministmama
03-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Its not wonky, its cute! Great job :thumbsup:

Ronda
03-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Those colors are great! Very "springy." I need to make a basket of Easter eggs. We have no Easter decorations whatsoever, and seeing all these cute eggs is making me want to knit some...[/u]

knitqueen
03-25-2006, 12:26 PM
I think the Red Heart is perfect for this type of project. No one has to wear them!! ;) I think it's really really cute and I just may need to go out and find some variagated yarn and make some of my own!

earthchick
03-25-2006, 12:28 PM
OMG! It's adorable! Yours turned out so much better than mine. Something is off about my shaping, and I can't figure out what it is; I thought I was following the pattern to a tee. (am currently felting all my eggs so as to "erase" my mistakes!)

I really, really like that yarn! I had no idea Red Heart could be so pretty!

Jan in CA
03-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks!!

Stacey, after filling it I stuck the needle in and sorta pushed the stuffing so it was more egg shaped. I'm going to Big Lots today to see if they have plastic eggs. I bet you could put one in before the very end and then knit the end over it. That would be a perfect shape. I'll let you know how it goes.

Won't your eggs be super tiny if felted?

earthchick
03-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Ooh, let me know how the plastic egg experiment (eggsperiment? :lol: ) goes. [What did you stuff this one with?].

The first one I felted turned out great, just the right size (you can see it in the second set of pics in my Easter egg thread). I threw all the other four in the washer this morning and have so far had varying results. One did shrink down super-small, but that was partly b/c it got lost in a load of laundry that I then did on two dryer cycles on high heat. I'm disappointed, b/c it was the Malabrigo one. :( I think pre-felting mine were a little bigger than yours.

My problem with the shaping isn't the stuffing but the actual knitting. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the decreases just do not look right. Did you modify the pattern at all?

Jan in CA
03-25-2006, 01:04 PM
First of all I think your eggs look wonderful!

On the increases, I didn't do two together. I k1, increase, knit to last stitch, increase, k1. For decreases I'm still not entirely happy with mine either. For this one I SSK, k to last stitch, k2tog, k1. I'm working on another one now and may do them differently.

earthchick
03-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Jan, which increase did you use? Was it M1? I think I may try your variation next.

KellyK
03-25-2006, 01:40 PM
SO cute, Jan! And I dont know WHERE you are seeing wonky....looks PERFECT to me!

Jan in CA
03-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Jan, which increase did you use? Was it M1? I think I may try your variation next.

I am using M1A and M1T. I'm also trying the decrease a bit differently. Will post new pic in a few minutes.

Amber
03-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Cute!

Jan in CA
03-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Okay, no pic. :rollseyes: I changed the decrease by reversing it..seemed like it made more sense, but I don't like the SSK either way. It doesn't look bad, but IMO it could be better. Will experiment and let you know. ;)

nicolethegeek
03-26-2006, 09:54 AM
I love the Monet and the Watercolours in RH. That egg is absolutely egg-squisite! Where did you find the pattern?

ekgheiy
03-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Oh ... it's soooo cute!!! :D

Jan in CA
03-26-2006, 02:20 PM
I love the Monet and the Watercolours in RH. That egg is absolutely egg-squisite! Where did you find the pattern?

Here is the pattern.
http://www.curlypurly.com/eggs.html

I will say that working with RH is like using sandpaper. That stuff is nasty! I do love the look though!

Carol_OH
03-29-2006, 08:20 AM
sooo adorable!!! :cheering: :inlove:

rebecca
03-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Perfect :cheering: :cheering:

thinggtwoo
04-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Help! I want to make these eggs, but don't know & can't find what a Paired-lift Increase is!! Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks!
:-)

Claire

www.itsabouttime.blogspot.com

Miss Kittie
04-05-2006, 01:00 PM
I like your egg and thanks for the link..

thinggtwoo
04-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Help! I want to make these eggs, but don't know & can't find what a Paired-lift Increase is!! Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks!
:-)

Claire

www.itsabouttime.blogspot.com

Okay, I found what the increases are - but as I read it correctly, you do the increase using a stitch TWO ROWS BELOW last completed stitch - how is this possible if I'm supposed to be doing the increase on the 2nd row of knitting? What are you all doing for the increases in row two?

I'm so confused!! :(

Claire

Jan in CA
04-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Okay, I found what the increases are - but as I read it correctly, you do the increase using a stitch TWO ROWS BELOW last completed stitch - how is this possible if I'm supposed to be doing the increase on the 2nd row of knitting? What are you all doing for the increases in row two?

Claire

I used M1A and M1T increases. It simply a way of wrapping the yarn around the needle, no need to use any of the stitches. What I finally ended up doing was to k1, M1A, knit to last stitch, M1T, k1. I did that on each needle in an increase round.

To decrease I chose to use only k2tog. I preferred this look myself.

BTW...I did respond to you about the increases after you asked the first time, but I guess you missed it.

thinggtwoo
04-05-2006, 05:23 PM

Claire

I used M1A and M1T increases. It simply a way of wrapping the yarn around the needle, no need to use any of the stitches. What I finally ended up doing was to k1, M1A, knit to last stitch, M1T, k1. I did that on each needle in an increase round.

To decrease I chose to use only k2tog. I preferred this look myself.

BTW...I did respond to you about the increases after you asked the first time, but I guess you missed it.

Thank you SO MUCh - and No, I didn't see your reply, I'm very sorry!!

I'm off to knit eggs, then! :-)

thinggtwoo
04-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Okay, what do y'all do about the hole left at the bottom for the beginning?

Jan in CA
04-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Okay, what do y'all do about the hole left at the bottom for the beginning?

I take the tail and thread it through the loops and pull it closed...like you do on a hat. Then I just weave it through a bit. It's not critical because this won't be washed and worn a billion times. ;) I can take a photo of the bottom and top of one if you'd like.

thinggtwoo
04-07-2006, 08:40 PM
I don't mean where you bind off, I meant where you cast on...on mine, that left a BIG hole. :(

dustinac
04-07-2006, 09:19 PM
:happydance: love the eggs and your basket!! I made some for a little star they were so fast and alot of fun... I cheated and did the Kf&b increase LOL but did take out the ssk and just did K2tog... :thumbsup: