PDA

View Full Version : KNITTING AS TORTURE

VictoiseC
03-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Ha ha. So last summer I made this little pair of sandal sockettes. They turned out so cute and everybody I show them to goes "Ohhhh look how sweet these are!" So, as I am going to try and sell stuff this summer at some markets & crafts fairs... I've been experimenting with different things to make and

thought these little sockettes would go over big. ! Am I crazy?! They are TORTURE to work on. I'm on the third day on the first one and how much could I charge anyway! I think I'll just keep them for myself.....

(even though they are torturous (spelling?) to do esp that toe, it's such a challenge I can't put them down)

Take a look:

Yvonne
03-25-2006, 02:16 PM
I think they are really cute! Lots of work though!
Also, I'm not sure you can sell knit things made with someone else's pattern. If you do it, just change the pattern somewhat so it's not exactly the same.

Amber
03-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Those are really cute!

aylaanne
03-25-2006, 03:05 PM
I think you can sell things you make, unless the pattern maker specifies that things made from the pattern cannot be sold (some charity patterns are like that). After all, the labor and the materials were yours. However, you can't sell the pattern itself, unless the author gives you permission.

samm
03-25-2006, 07:04 PM
I really like those!! Where could I find the pattern? I'd love to make some, 'cause I'm always game for a little torturous knittin'. :D samm

DotMom61
03-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Vic,

You have such cute little piggies. :D Sorry to hear that the sockettes are such a pain, though!! Kinda like tiny little mittens, eh?

VictoiseC
03-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah.... I never made mittens but I guess they're like that...

I also couldn't figure out the pattern when they said to increase for the bar between the toes, I just ignored it on the first pair then did it on this 2nd pair but I don't think it's necessary. Also, I crocheted a band around the top to keep it tighter on the foot, it wasn't long or snug enough.

Samm, below is the pattern BUT it's a pdf file. If you don't want to open it directly you can also go to knittinghelp.com and scroll down to Short Toed Socklets (it's also a pdf file). It's a Regia pattern and calls for regia striped yarn but I used my own different yarns.

here's the link:

http://www.coats.de/PDF/reg_zehenfusslingENG.pdf

I didn't even wear these once ! but maybe I will this summer. They're so silly they're fun.

P.S. OOPS I just saw that Julie! Cute little piggies! Moi???
Ha.
:rofling: :oops: :rofling: Well thankya mam!

VictoiseC
03-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Aylaanne... thanks for your input/info! I do know about the pattern thing, a lot of patterns state you can't even sell the finished object without the creator's (creator? desinger) permission. One of the magazines, Interweave or Vogue did an issue on what copyright means and they said that. So, basically since I want to sell stuff this summer I'm trying to make up patterns / things myself, or kind of combine a bunch of stuff.... OR look for really old patterns or from Mars..

:thinking: :happydance:

you know.

aylaanne
03-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Well, that pattern doesn't say you can't sell the finished product, so sell away. It only says that you can't reproduce the PATTERN. That applies to the written work. Like, you couldn't copy the pattern and paste it here, regardless that it's free. However, you can do what you did, and paste the URL.

But the actual product of the knitting is yours to sell, as long as you don't pretend that you made up the pattern yourself.

VictoiseC
03-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Cool! Well thank you! I wasn't sure about that. (are you a lawyer) he he

Appreciate the clarification! Good news! :cheering:

CarmenIbanez
03-27-2006, 02:39 PM
I love the socklets, I am making a pair right now myself. They are quite a pain compared to what I thought they'd be. Yours are very cute though!

rebecca
03-27-2006, 04:52 PM
I :heart: love :heart: love them!! I was going to knit some last summer & forgot...perhaps I will have to give them a try this year...you have inspired me ;)

samm
03-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Where where where can I find the pattern!!!??? I'm anxiously waiting to find out! samm

knitncook
03-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Cute feet! :D Oh and the socklets are cute too. I may make a pair if I decide to wear some sandals that have a toe thingy this summer.

candicane
03-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Oh so cute! I want some. I have a few suggestions if you are planning on selling them:

since they would be worn in the spring/summer, use a natural fiber (like a superwash sock yarn). The thought of acrylic with sandals is making my feet sweat.

if you make them so they don't cover any toenails, you could market them as pedicure cozies (to keep your tootsies warm while you are getting a pedicure).

candice

VictoiseC
03-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks Candice!!! Well, I would NEVER use acrylic, yuk too much trouble I mean work to use that. This is only my 2nd pair but I love wool and I found they're not too hot unless it's a 90 degree day. Superwash wool is a good idea, I don't know if mine is, I'll have to check. The one I just did turned out great.... finishing up the 2nd one and will post a pic.

Rebecca, missed that comment about inspiring you! Yes you have to try them ,you'll love them, they make you giggle. With all the socks you do they'll be a breeze for you anyhow.

candicane
03-28-2006, 10:47 AM
I think you should make me a pair and then I should go get a pedicure to test this idea!

Candice

DotMom61
03-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Oooo ... I'm thinking a nice mercerized cotton or perhaps Shine from knitpicks would be good, too!! Think how soft!

amy
03-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Victoise, those are so cute!!! :inlove: I've never seen those before, how sweet!

FYI, for future pairs you can make the ribbing stretchier/snugger by 1) doing k2p2 instead of k1p1, it's the most elastic, and 2) going down 2 needle sizes when doing the ribbing, something I do by habit. (Just don't forget to switch to the larger size when you start doing the stockinette. For some reason this can be hard to remember! :lol:)

VictoiseC
03-28-2006, 01:05 PM
I think you should make me a pair and then I should go get a pedicure to test this idea!

Candice

Right, I'll get right on it! :XX: :shock: You.

Actually, when I used to get pedicures there was way too much water going on and cream and stuff so I'm not sure how that would work!
Funny, the first one I made on Thurs - Sun seemed so difficult but I wasn't feeling well. Started the 2nd one yesterday and I'll be done with it today, went REALLY fast.

Course I haven't bothered to try it on. :rollseyes:

That a great tip Amy! (Hey how come you didn't see this last year!!?)

I didn't know k2 p2 ribbing was both stretchier/snugger, I'll have to try that. This pair I decided to do ribbing not only at the top but at the bottom, near the toes. Not the big toe, just the other part. I think it looks better coz the first one rolled at the edge (and that's the way the pattern was written which goes to show ya....)
Think I"ll try k2,p2 next time, see what that looks like. Maybe I'll sell these after all.

Julie yeah cotton would be the next one for me to try. I used some Knitpicks wool the purple, and then other stuff I had around. These are great for little bits of yarn that you usually have.

Here's the progress:

candicane
03-28-2006, 02:40 PM
I guess I should clarify... the little sockettes go on after the washing, massaging and lotion, but before the polish!

Candice

DotMom61
03-29-2006, 02:44 AM
Vic --

You did a great job picking out colors for that pair. So cute!

VictoiseC
03-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks Julie! Yeah, I didn't use turquoise the first time and I LOVE that color. These are so happy summer beachlike...

Candice, I get it now! Maybe I could sell them across the street at Suzie's nail salon where I used to go. ! :lol: I used to get a manicure/pedicure for $25 ! a great price esp with the massage but one day I got tired of it, plus we're uh trying to finish our house and every $ goes there... but I
noticed when I stopped having my nails done they finally started to GROW!
Now I have strong long healthy fingernails.... that polish was just disintegrating them. Miss the massages though.
These sockettes socklettes would like neat with some bright toe polish!

nicolethegeek
03-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Those little sockettes are the reason I learned how to knit socks! I bought the yarn for them ages ago, but still haven't made them.

As for selling items made with someone else's pattern, your best and safest bet is to contact the designer or publisher. Personally, I have a terms of use on my site, which dictates what you may use my patterns for {free or for sale patterns}. I have had a few requests for other uses, and I usually allow them, as long as I am given full credit for the design. It's like if you make a Mickey or Minnie Mouse doll. You can only give it as a gift to someone. You cannot sell the pattern, even if it is your own design, and you cannot sell finished items either.

samm
03-29-2006, 08:08 PM
I love love love these little toesockies! thanks for the link, Victoise, and thanks to Amy for the ideas. I've printed it out and scribbled the ribbing changes onto the pattern. I've got yarn, I've got needles, and I've got a zillion projects otn right now! Oh well, it never hurts to cast one more on, right? ;) samm

VictoiseC
03-31-2006, 04:44 PM
Btw... the second one goes MUCH faster than the first, once you got the hang of them. AND they're super fast then too...

one thing to keep in mind, very important, is when they tell you to put the 'toe' stitches 16 of them on a holder you have to (well I certainly did if you can do it differently tell me) put the stitches on a piece of yarn,

then close it up so it looks like a toe holder and tie a bow to keep it round.
Because you are knitting past that round and round, and the first stich looks way stretched out but falls into place after a couple rounds.

Maybe that's obvious but though I'd state it anyhoo!

Not sure if I like the ribbed closing near the toes.....
will post a pic in a bit, 2nd one still not finished coz I'm obssessed with my cat vest and intarsia for the first time! :happydance: :XX:

samm
04-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Finished my first little toe sockie thing, making changes to the pattern, because I always do that! I didn't bother with the bar part, and did 2x2 ribbing for the four toe bit, and cast off in purl using a larger needle so it was stretchy. Did the toe as the pattern said, ignoring the bar parts and again cast off with a larger needle. It fits nicely! Except that my foot has a slant, the big toe being way forward of the baby toe, and next time I will not do eight rows of ribbing around the toes, but about four, so my baby piggie gets some air too! I love this little sock. Gonna make the other one tonight. I'm using the Regia Stretch called for in the pattern, in Crazy Colours, and the sock is bright and summery. Cool pattern! I'll make more just for me! samm

VictoiseC
04-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Hey congrats Samm! Aren't they fun!!!!? I tried doing that band for the main part and ripped it out and it works better but I did pick up 3 or 4 extra stitches for the toe coz it looked like there'd be a gap if I didn't.
Like the tip about binding off in purl. Will try that next.

Got a digital camera to post a pic?

:thumbsup:

candicane
04-14-2006, 08:13 AM
I am about to start these (again for the third time). What is the verdict on the "bar", should I just skip it? If it doesn't serve a good function I am apt to just skip it.

candice

samm
04-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Yes, I did pick up three stitches between the toe part and the part for the multitoes. I did k2p2 rib on both the toe and multitoe part and didn't bother with the extra nonsense about the bar between the toes. They turned out just fine, comfy and very cute. Wish I had a camera that could send instant photos. Soon as I get a picture I will send it along so you can see. I'm now going to knit a red pair and then try to adapt the pattern for a slightly thicker yarn. Shouldn't be a big problem. samm

VictoiseC
04-15-2006, 04:58 PM
It's tricky that bar. I find after two pairs, that you don't really need the bar for the main piece, because you want it snug and it stretches anyhow.
But there is an obvious big gap when you go to do the toe, so you really need to pick up some stitches, maybe not 4 but certainly 3. The 2nd pair I did, I did the bar pick up stitches for the main part (I'm meaning the part around the foot or 4 toes) and it looked too big so I ripped it out and did it over which is not a big deal ... you're only talking a few rows. So you can play it as it fits! i :happydance:

Celine
04-18-2006, 05:04 AM
The yarn is beautiful on those!! I love the colors.

VictoiseC
04-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks Celine! glad you like them....

samm
04-18-2006, 02:24 PM
I never did do the bar part. I decided from reading the pattern and looking at the picture that I couldn't see its purpose. I wouldn't bother with it now that I've made my first ones and they fit perfectly. Soooo cute! Now I'm making red ones. Good luck with yours! :XX: samm