PDA

View Full Version : Irish Hiking Scarf

Shandeh
03-27-2006, 09:59 AM
OK....now it's time for another project. (Like I didn't already have enough to work on!)

The Irish Hiking Scarf. I was going to make it with Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk, but that was too thin. So, I looked through my stash and found some skeins of Lion Brand Chunky USA that I got for half price at Hancock Fabrics one day. Perfect for the scarf!

kayeknit
03-27-2006, 10:45 AM
That will be a beautiful winter white scarf! Can't wait to see the FO.

Calabaza
03-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Its soo pretty!! Can't wait to see it when its done!! :heart:

Jessica

gardenmommy
03-27-2006, 11:48 AM
It's looking great! It's one I have on my to-knit list!

rebecca
03-27-2006, 11:54 AM
I love, love the Irish hiking scarf :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: I also have it on my long to do list :D

sara_jayne
03-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Looks great - I like how well the cables show up on the cream color. Like many others - this is also on my to-long-to-do-list!

Jan in CA
03-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Wow, that is pretty!!

Amber
03-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Looks great!

mks22300
03-27-2006, 09:33 PM
It's looking great! Isn't it a fun and easy pattern?

Danielle
03-28-2006, 12:12 AM
Great job! :thumbsup:

knit-a-holic
03-28-2006, 02:26 PM
That looks so pretty!! One of these days, I'm gonna have to learn to do cables!

knitknut
03-28-2006, 02:51 PM
:heart: Pretty, pretty!

We must have gone to the same sale! I bought all they had (12 black and 14 Forest Green) of that same yarn @ 60cents a skein. Haven't been able to figure out what to do with it though. :thinking:

The IHS in the Chunky looks great. Would that be a good project to learn cables? BTW, what size needles did you choose?

knitknut
03-28-2006, 02:52 PM
:heart: Pretty, pretty!

We must have gone to the same sale! I bought all they had (12 black and 14 Forest Green) of that same yarn @ 60cents a skein. Haven't been able to figure out what to do with it though. :thinking:

The IHS in the Chunky looks great. Would that be a good project to learn cables? BTW, what size needles did you choose?

callmesusan
03-28-2006, 03:20 PM
The Irish Hiking Scarf looks fabulous in that yarn. I made the scarf in baby alpaca and love it. But I think the cable pattern looks much more striking in your yarn. Love the color too!

origami
03-30-2006, 12:55 PM
What a coincidence! I started working on this last night in Woolease in gray. It's my first time knitting cables and whoever asked if this is a good project to learn cable knitting on, the answer is YES! :happydance:

Now I think I need to go to the yarn store to get a chunkier yarn though, because I really, really love how yours is turning out! And the color is fabulous too!

I know I'll be knitting another one. I think this pattern would make a lovely gift.

Oh yes, thanks to Amy, who gave me the confidence to do cables!

Shandeh
03-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Would that be a good project to learn cables? BTW, what size needles did you choose?

This is MY first cable project, and it is WAY EASY, so there's your answer.

I changed to size 8 needles with the chunky yarn. (The pattern calls for size 6 with worsted weight.)

knitknut
03-30-2006, 07:50 PM
:thumbsup: Thank you!
Please post progress pics. Wow, try to say that fast 5 times. :lol:

Toast King
04-02-2006, 04:04 PM
That scarf looks lovely, I'd love to see your progess too! How's it going?

Cabling is my new favourite stitch :D

Shandeh
08-16-2006, 04:09 PM
I keep carrying my scarf with me, so I can finish it before fall. I'm using the bag that Tammy gave me during the yarn swap! :heart:

Shandeh
08-16-2006, 04:11 PM
By the way, I was wrong earlier about the size needles I'm using. They are size 10 1/2. How in the world did I get size 8 out of that? :??

SimplyKaar
08-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Aren't the cables fun to do??

I used IHS for my first cabled project too, and for my very first scarf actually, only I subsituted the middle twist for a braided cable instead because I wanted to know how that was done aswell.

This was the result:
http://kaar.mekk.com/fotos/breien/sjaalkl.jpg

I have frogged it since though because the yarn I used just was too harsh to be used as a scarf; I've tried it but it just didn't feel nice on my face so I decided the yarn was better saved for some other project and I'll make the scarf again someday in a softer type of yarn.
I had loads of fun figuring it out and making it though!

Yours looks awsome in the cream colour! I had wondered how the cables would look in a lighter colour since I'm thinking of going that direction too to wear with my black wintercoat :)

SimplyKaar
08-16-2006, 04:59 PM
oih!! I'm sorry, I didn't realise that this picture would show up this huge :wall:

I'll have to run to my other computer and resize it; I'll do that asap.

edited to add: phew, it's smaller now and I feel better about it again :)

Ellen Edwards
08-17-2006, 01:11 AM
Funny, I just printed this pattern out, Sandy, and have it on my list, after I get done with the Branching Out scarf, and the Karaoke Cabled scarves!!

Shandeh
08-17-2006, 03:10 AM
Karen, I LOVE your scarf! :heart:

And Trudy, good luck with the IHS! It's so fun, and the pattern is EASILY memorized. My husband is always amazed to see me work on it without a pattern! :teehee: