PDA

View Full Version : I actually knit in public today for the first time!

Celine
03-27-2006, 08:56 PM
I had an appointment this afternoon and got there early. So I took out my knitting that I am working on. I'm knitting a pair of socks for my dh. So I sat there and knit but I have to admit I was VERY selfconscience!!! :XX: :XX:

Has anyone else felt that way when knitting in public?? :rollseyes:

Ingrid
03-27-2006, 09:01 PM
I knit wherever I go and I never feel self-conscious. I figure that I'm not bothering anyone, it gives them something to watch (and they do), and I have something to occupy me. I even knit in the dentist chair between procedures. He knows enough to return my bag if he has to leave the room for anything. ;)

Jenelle
03-27-2006, 09:03 PM
I knit and crochet in public alot. I get comments. I love when I'm getting knitting needles at Walmart and people approach me and ask what I'm getting. It's really nice to find others who knit.

Friskums
03-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Not including work, where I'm constantly knitting, I've knit in public a few times (mostly while my bf and I go to Borders to have coffee).
This past weekend I was knitting in the food court at the mall while waiting for him to finish eating.

..No one's ever said anything to me yet though. :crying:
I keep hoping and waiting to find another knitter.

Maybe my shaved head/extremely short hair is freaking them out. :lol:

Jan in CA
03-27-2006, 10:00 PM
I have only done it a couple times so far and I tend to be self conscious. I'm sure it'll get better as I do it though. I've got several doctors appts in the next few months and plan on knitting in the waiting room if I'm doing something small.

TwoLeftNeedles
03-27-2006, 10:15 PM
I used to think I knit everywhere, but Ingrid has put me to shame. I have not yet knit in the dentist chair.

I have knit at stoplights.

Ingrid
03-27-2006, 10:16 PM
I haven't knit a stoplights, but I have knit at road construction delays. ;)

brendajos
03-27-2006, 10:22 PM
:thumbsup: STOPLIGHT KNITTER! right here....love knitting at the stop lights! makes my morning commute much more tolerable. I only do this though if i am working on something small. For example, i am not dragging out the afghan that i am currently working on to knit at the stop light...there's just not enough time for that! ;)

i was sitting at my car dealership having the oil changed on saturday and the old couple sitting next to me were just starin' away watching me knit. and they weren't even trying to be subtle...lol.

:cheering: yeah for the KIP!! :cheering:

Julie
03-27-2006, 11:47 PM
I knit at stoplights too! And last week I brought my knitting to the doctor's office...amazing how nice it is to have something to do while you wait, whether in traffic or the dr's -- I'm a lot less cranky that way! And my doctor was really impressed and asking lots of questions about the sock I was knitting. :thumbsup:

ekgheiy
03-28-2006, 12:06 AM
Nope - I feel perfectly fine knitting in public. But I have to make sure that it's an easy pattern, because ppl are bound to ask questions ;) I can't talk and knit an involved pattern at the same time... :oops:

feministmama
03-28-2006, 12:47 AM
I knit at a stop light the other day. I got a lot of stares!

I am a knitter and I am not ashamed to knit in public! So there.

Darhain
03-28-2006, 02:09 AM
I KIP all the time. I met another knitter yesterday while at the mall because I had my knitting out while the kids played in the PlayZone. She asked me if I made DD's sweater, too, and the conversation just took off from there. Ended up inviting her and her husband and DS to dinner with us, and we exchanged numbers at the end of the evening. Pretty cool! :thumbsup:

AmandaC
03-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Well, I kip - only about a row or two - in Prague last week and I learnt today that my boss was asked if I was pregnant!!!!

hmmmm :roflhard:

knitstress_tygher
03-28-2006, 09:32 AM
I bring my knitting with me everywhere, though I don't typically go anywhere where I would end up knitting in public. I -have- threatened my DH that next time I go meet him at the dealership and I'm made to wait a while to go to lunch with him that I'm going to pull out my knitting, though.

cheesiesmom
03-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Ladies! Stoplight knitting sound dangerous. Definitely could make you liable under a distracted driver ordinance. However, I don't think people "stare" at knitters because they think they are weird. Personally, sitting in a dr's office or some place watching a knitter/crocheter can be hypnotic. The rhythm of the activity, the progression of the project. Kind of like white noise. It's probably as relaxing for the watcher and the knitter. I wouldn't be self-conscious; it's therapeutic for everyone around you.

Gladys in Michigan where it's going to get warmer eventually.

cozy
03-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Sadly, I haven't been able to KIP in a while, due to the 15 month-old who usually accompanies me. I used to KIP all the time while waiting at dd's dance school--I can't wait until I can do that again! What was funny to me was that other people identified me as "the lady who knits."

NinaT
03-28-2006, 09:59 AM
I actually look forward to getting to appointments a little early so I have a chance to knit. I certainly don'y mind if things are running "a little behind" anymore now that I bring my knitting everywhere. The strangest place I have ever knit was at a Relient K concert with my teenager! I actually met another knitter while we sat in the back. I loved it. I've also knit while waiting in a long line at Costco. I definitely got some looks! I love to keep my hands busy.

Celine
03-28-2006, 10:37 AM
I did see a lady knitting a pink sock a few months ago before I learned how to knit them myself. I remember just watching her knit and thinking how lucky she was that she could knit like that. I never thought a "bad" thing about it.

But now that I was the one knitting the sock yesterday I just felt selfconscience since I saw a lady watching me and I guess I really do not want to attract attention. But I'm sure the more I kIP I'll get use to it. I'd be perfectly comfortable TALKING :XX: :XX: about knitting but the "doing" it was the hard part!! lol

zara
03-28-2006, 01:16 PM
It must be nice to be called the Lady who knits. It's better than a lot of things I've been called.

I was knitting at a childs birthday party the weekend before last & almost everyone told me they used to knit/know how to knit & asked what I was knitting. I ended up making loads of mistakes trying to follow the pattern. I have given up with the patter & take an educated guess now which tends to work out better.

knittychrissy
03-28-2006, 01:45 PM
my first public knitting was at the laundromat and the kids running around with my kids were more interested in what i was doing than the adults were. i was too focused on trying to find that balance between knitting and keeping my eye on my little ones to really notice though.
this past weekend i took the kids to the park and sat and knit and all the other moms smiled at me. that was weird. i usually get stares for being a young looking mom and god forbid they see my tattoos. but smiles! i actually lost track of time and ended up staying at the park way longer than we had planned to.
i think i <3 knitting.

NinaT
03-28-2006, 02:09 PM
You definitely have to pick the right project for KIP. When I went to the concert I tried to work on my Guernsey sweater and almost went blind trying to count knits and purls in the dark! I should have brought something mindless...

1to1
03-28-2006, 02:14 PM
I KIP more than I knit at home. I've handed out lots of business cards for the LYS. Whenever someone says I wish I could knit, I'm digging for a card. Kids love to watch and will sit right across from me--I think its sweet.

The only time that I minded someone bothering me was when I went to a slow Hardees (while DD was at practice) thinking I could get alot done on my first complicated baby sweater. And of course, this guy sat down at the table next to me (the place is empty) and talked and talked until I finally left. Not only did it happen once but both times I tried it. It was kinda funny cause the second time I was working on an easier baby sweater and he commented that I looked more relaxed that week. I would just smile and nod--I think he was just lonely and wanted someone to talk to.

aylaanne
03-28-2006, 02:36 PM
DF and I went to the movies the other night, and I brought a sock with me. I knit it in the restaurant while I was waiting for our food and then later in the theater while I was waiting for the movie to start. I actually walked and knit at the same time, which I thought was pretty clever, until I almost walked past our theater. :doh:

I get more stares/comments for my scarf than I do for my knitting. I made this HUGE, bright red scarf out of crushed velvet. It's taller than I am and a good 18-24 inches wide. I hand stitched it in class before I learned how to knit. I wear it as a shawl a good portion of the time, but sometimes I put it over my head when it's cold and wear it like a muslim hijab to keep my ears warm or dry.

sfavereau
03-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Ok, you guys can call me crazy now... I had to go to the dmv to register two cars today and I brought a sock with me to knit. Would you believe it that I was DISAPPOINTED b/c I didn't have any time to knit before my number was called? I was so looking forward to knitting while waiting. :roflhard:

brendajos
03-28-2006, 10:55 PM
lol i can believe it, i now get irritated by lights that aren't red and lights that turn green too fast!

Ingrid
03-28-2006, 11:10 PM
That happens to me, too. When I expect to wait and I get called in right away I almost want to let the person after me go. Almost.

BillSpace
03-29-2006, 09:31 AM
I knit at Denver International Airport last month. Since I'm a man, I expected to get stares and even some hostility, but even the little kids passed by without comment. Any stares were subtle enough that I couldn't see them. It did help the layover pass pleasantly.

dustinac
03-29-2006, 10:38 AM
I like to knit while waiting for my dr's appt.. before I knitted I waited and waited was so bored... now my name is called before I can sit down and I show up early :rollseyes: however once in the room waiting for the dr is a different story so I knit then :lol:

nicolethegeek
03-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Long before I learned to knit, I crocheted everywhere. My nearly hour-long bus commute to work was a wonderful place to get tons of work done on my projects. I would get quite upset if the bus was full that day and I had to stand!!! I will knit or crochet at long red lights {I know which ones can be as much as 5 minutes to the next green!}, I will knit or crochet while in the drive thru line at Timmy's {waiting for my coffee on the way home from work gets about 2-3 needles of a sock done easily!}. I also knit or crochet in the dentist's chair {speaking of which I have an appointment there in 40 minutes! :shock: I almost forgot}. I usually can't work on my project for very long though. The adrenaline in the freezing affects my hypoglycemia and I get a bad case of the shakes. The dentist knows that when I can't work on my project any more, that I'm ready for him to get to work!!!

Doublereeder2
03-29-2006, 11:34 AM
I was knitting on stage last night while in between the rehearsal and performance. My colleagues just looked and smiled except for the flutist who asked me all about my sock - her daughter knits but she does not.

Shandeh
03-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Knitting in Public is just part of my life, I guess....because I'm CONSTANTLY KNITTING! I knit every day, and have about 8 projects going at once, each in a separate basket. That way, I can grab a basket and take it with me when I go anywhere.

When my husband takes me out, he always says, "Do you have your knitting?" I think it makes him proud for me to knit beside him. He likes it when people come and up and ask, "What are you making?"

One time, we were at a restaurant, waiting for a meal to be brought to our table. I was working on a sock with some self-striping yarn. I heard someone say, "I wish I could do that. How does she get all those colors like that?" My husband whispered, "Someone is watching you." I smiled and kept knitting.

I knit in doctor's offices, at stoplights, in restaurants....well just everywhere.

Oh! Another thing. I knit in church every week. I'm the organist, and when I'm not playing, I sit on a pew in front of the choir. My knitting basket is right there, waiting for me. So, I knit during the sermon. One day after church, a senior citizen came up to me and said, "I used to knit, but can't anymore. Would you like my needles and yarn?" Of course I accepted them! She brought a huge bag to choir practice the next week. What a sweet lady!

So, it pays to knit in public. Sometimes you get gifts! :D

Lisa1216
03-29-2006, 01:06 PM
I was able to knit at the Dr's office the other day. I was called into the room pretty quickly, but once in the room, it was a long wait because they were swamped and they had to deal with an angry patient. When the Dr. finally came in she said, "Wow you look so calm, I could use some of that right now." She apologized for the wait time, but I told her it was okay because I was very happy to sit there and get some knitting time in. Now if I had not brought my knitting, it probably would have been a different story...

ebrperk
03-29-2006, 03:39 PM
I knit in public when I can which isn't very often considering my three children keep me pretty busy. When I was pregnant I was able to find out that my OB was a crocheter and we talked a lot about yarn. I keep telling her she needs to take up knitting. LOL

samm
03-29-2006, 08:19 PM
I KIP lots. Mostly waiting for appointments, which I have regularly. On the back of my chair in the kitchen is my little canvas cow decorated bag with six pockets, which I got at a healthfood store. The long vertical pockets are meant for bottles of milk. But my yarn needles and pattern and all the other stuff go in there, and I grab it on my way out anytime I think I might have to wait somewhere or if I'm not driving. I've warned my DH to let me know if he thinks we are going to crash so I can throw down my knitting and not puncture the airbag! He thinks I'm kidding! :XX: samm who has socks in the cow bag right now.... and a second bag on the chair with crochet for an afghan square exchange...

wildforyarn
03-29-2006, 09:01 PM
I knit in public also when I can, and I can say, sometimes I am self-conscious, because I always seem to be looking at my hands and not quite able to knit without watching what I am doing, even on really easy stuff. Although, I do have to say, I am getting more comfortable.

Also, with all of this talk about knitting at stoplights... today, on my way to work I pulled out my knitting in the drivethrough line at Starbucks and then I knit at every stoplight on my way into work. It was really very easy! So, thanks to you all for that!! :thumbsup:

brendajos
03-29-2006, 09:10 PM
:cheering: lol just don't forget to put it back down when you start moving again! :rofling:

glomper
03-30-2006, 03:43 AM
I used to always make sure I had something to read in my handbag just in case (traffic jam, lift(elevator) getting stuck or any other holdup as I hate that helpless feeling I get when something out of my control means I have to wait around. Nowadays I also try to make sure I have some knitting for the same reason.

Like alot of you I usually have several projects on the go and I always make sure that one of them is up to a place where I can knit away without worrying about having to look at a pattern or do too much shaping or anything too involved. That way if someone talks to me I don't fret about losing my place.

I usually have my 4 year old son with me in most places where I have to wait so can't KIP that often. Usually I KIP if DH is there also e.g. in car while he drives and then at the picnic or beach we go to with the kids. I also knit at my Playcentre meetings. Parking is bad outside my daughter's school so if my son is playing at a friends I leave earlier and park across the road from the school and knit until 5 minutes before the bell goes - I have noticed another woman doing the same and will probably try chatting to her one day.

Sometimes I get looks when I KIP. For example, when I recently went to my first rugby (or was it league?) game with my DH, my best friend and her workmate I knitted as I am not interested in sports especially ballgames and even less in the loud music, and so called pre-game entertainment that went with it. Although adults will look it is usually only the children who comment. Friends of my children always look fascinated and ask me questions about it or ask me to knit them something or even teach them.

I am looking forward to being able to knit when waiting for appointments or to pick up the children from school once my son turns 5. I also intend to knit when waiting for them at sports practice, swimming lessons etc. If you have to sit around waiting you may as well make use of the time - I say. Any excuse to knit is a good 1. I sometimes feel a bit self-concious to start but after the 1st row I forget about other people, so knit away. :)