PDA

View Full Version : beat-to-death topic....airplanes

Cristy
03-28-2006, 08:25 PM
I know this topic has been beat to death but I just wanted an update...has anyone recently flown and encountered problems w/ knitting needles on the plane? I went to the FAA website and linked to the safety administration site and it says knitting needles are okay for both carry-ons and checked luggage. I keep having nightmares that I board the plane to San Diego tomorrow and they take away my addis... :crying:

I'm sure no one wants to discuss this in depth again but if anyone has flown recently--let me know how it went. I'm flying out of ATL and into SAN--I've never flown into SAN before--ATL is huge and is where I would expect problems although a lady in my SNB told me that she had no problems here--only in Houston.

knitstress_tygher
03-28-2006, 09:59 PM
My last flight was to and from New York last November. I had a project on circular needles, and didn't have any problem. I kept the project I had on 17s in my checked luggage, and it made it through fine too.

Friskums
03-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Transporting Knitting Needles & Needlepoint

Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage. However, there is a possibility that the needles can be perceived as a possible weapon by the TSA screener. TSA Screeners have the authority to determine if an item could be used as a weapon and may not allow said item to pass through security. TSA recommends the following when bring knitting needles on an airplane:

* Circular knitting needles are recommended to be less than 31 inches in total length
* We recommend that the needles be made of bamboo or plastic (Not Metal)
* Scissors must have blunt points
* In case the screener does not allow your knitting tools through security it is recommended that you carry a self addressed envelope so that you can mail your tools back to yourself as opposed to surrendering them at the security check point.
* As a precautionary measure it is recommended that you carry a crochet hook with yarn to save the work you have already done in case your knitting tools are surrendered at the checkpoint.

Most of the items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside. These items cannot be taken through a Security Checkpoint. They must go in your checked baggage.

From here (http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1252.xml)

Edited to add: You can always print that out and if anyone gives you problems show it to them. At least it's a documented statement to back you up.
I'd probably only keep the one(s) you need with you on the carry-on. Just put everything else in your checked baggage.

Cristy
03-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Thanks guys...I read all of that info...I guess I'm taking my chances. I'll report back!

kemp
03-29-2006, 12:09 PM
I've flown tons with my needles...couple of times in the last 4 months...no problems.

knittingdoula
03-29-2006, 01:53 PM
I just flew this past weekend from San Francisco to Dallas/FW and carried a dedicated bag for my knitting. There were tons of aluminum DPN's, Addi circs and wool. I got through with absolutely no problem whatsoever.

A pair of scissors I accidentally placed in there some days before also got through, disturbingly enough. :shock: I guess I don't look like a terrorist, though it should have gotten flagged, because my husband wears a kippah and has a long beard (gets called Rabbi all the time). I could give a care if we're racially profiled, I simply want a safe aircraft, and those scissors getting through made me wonder what else was passing them by. *sigh*

Alison

KellyK
03-29-2006, 02:26 PM
I took my knitting with me to COSTA RICA last year in June. No problem.

loriwat
03-29-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm glad you asked, I've been stressing over the same thing. I have size 1 and 2 Addi's I wanted to take, but I have been afraid they'll take them thinking they could be a weapon.

I guess I'll be brave.

samm
03-29-2006, 08:22 PM
This reminds me that at JoAnns on the weekend, I found a little yarn cutter for about $2.50! I have Clover ones that are a lot more expensive, and this one came with a lanyard to string it onto so you can wear it around your neck. And tie it to your knitting bag so you can find it! It would be good on a plane rather than scissors if you are just cutting yarn to switch. I don't find them terrific for trimming that final bit when weaving ends. samm

Julie
03-29-2006, 08:40 PM
I flew from Chicago to Denver yesterday and didn't have any problem. :D I did pack a self-addressed padded envelope in my carry-on just in case, because I brought 4 pairs of Addis with me and the thought of having them taken away made me very :shock:

MissCritiki
04-02-2006, 02:27 AM
I flew from Denver to Atlanta & back a few weeks ago, and while they put my backpack through the x-ray thingie twice when leaving Denver, they didn't end up saying anything. I had a size 1 47" Addi Turbo circular with me.

secretstasher
04-02-2006, 03:41 AM
I flew from the uk to greece last year and had to put my knitting needles in the baggage not in the carry on luggage. Not that I look like a terrorist but they are really tight with security here. even your mobile gets x rayed.
They always stop my fella as he is olive skinned with a beard and long hair lol. he gets upset everytime but I reassure him at least they are checking.
The funniest was when we flew back from turkey and he had a huge metal keyring in his bag along with an alarm clock you saw the man checking the baggage x-ray his eyes widened and as soon as my fella touched his bag he was surrounded and asked to empty it. but it gives you reassurance that they are now so tight with security. I beleive it is better go a few hours not knitting than end up being taken hostage.
sorry for butting in with an essay love Sian xxxx