PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrrggghh!

Jan in CA
03-30-2006, 03:21 AM
I glued an egg with Krazy Glue and then inserted it into a partially knitted egg cover, finished knitting it and then tried to felt it. I learned two things.

1. Krazy Glue either doesn't work or needs to some time to dry because the egg came apart during the felting process. :rollseyes:

2. Cascade 220 doesn't shrink as much when felted as WOTA.

Sooooo I may try this again and make the knitted part smaller, but does anyone have any experience with super glues, Krazy Glue in particular? Does hot water make the glue come apart?? I guess I could hand felt, but it still needs hot water.

IrishBaby
03-30-2006, 06:26 AM
I wouldn't use any glue at all -- just put the plastic egg inside and and felt. I would think the glue would interfere with the felting process.

Ingrid
03-30-2006, 08:39 AM
I don't think crazy glue works all that well on plastic. It snaps off. :thinking: Regular craft glue would melt in the water. Maybe model glue would work. It paints on and I think does something to the plastic to etch it. I wonder, though, since the egg is stretched around the egg, if it will felt. Wouldn't the egg hold it to size?

You could also try to get the solid eggs--just soft plastic ones. There's usually a little hole that might fill with water, but you could plug that up.

Jan in CA
03-30-2006, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't use any glue at all -- just put the plastic egg inside and and felt. I would think the glue would interfere with the felting process.

It didn't affect it at all. The yarn felted beatifully! The only problem was the egg falling apart.

I don't think crazy glue works all that well on plastic. It snaps off. Thinking Regular craft glue would melt in the water. Maybe model glue would work.

It says right on the package that it glues plastic. I see on their website that there are other types for toys that are stronger. Maybe that would work.

I wasn't sure how it would work since it was around an egg, but it DID felt just fine and I think if the egg had stayed together it might have worked! I had felted as usual though with hot water and jeans...so possibly it wasn't just the glue..maybe the constant beating of the jeans as well.. :thinking:

CarmenIbanez
03-30-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm being daft, I'm sure, but what kind of egg falls apart? If the egg was on the inside of the knitting? I'm confused.

brendajos
03-30-2006, 01:36 PM
i am assuming we are talking about the plastic stuffable eggs. what about glueing the egg shut?

Jan in CA
03-30-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm being daft, I'm sure, but what kind of egg falls apart? If the egg was on the inside of the knitting? I'm confused.

I used one of those cheapy plastic eggs you can get at Big Lots. The type you put candy in for kids at Easter.

i am assuming we are talking about the plastic stuffable eggs. what about glueing the egg shut?

LOL Did you read my first post? That is the whole point of this thread... I DID glue it shut and it still fell apart. :roflhard:

brendajos
03-30-2006, 02:11 PM
oooooooooooh i thought you were gluing the yarn to the egg! :rollseyes: sorrrrry...yeah i got nuthin' then

Ingrid
03-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Once it opened, you couldn't finagle it to close inside the egg?

Jan in CA
03-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Once it opened, you couldn't finagle it to close inside the egg?

Well, I didn't really try too hard. The felted part was a little too large anyway. I think maybe th eggs are just too fragile to be beat around like that. :??

BinkyKat
03-31-2006, 01:36 AM
Could you try a wooden egg? Sometimes the craft stores sell them in wholes or halves for painting. I used some halved ones for an Easter wreath i made several years ago.
Otherwise... perhaps epoxy glue or maybe hot glue the bugger shut?