PDA

View Full Version : One Skein Secret Pal Exchange

knitstress_tygher
04-05-2006, 02:21 AM
I ran across this on a LJ community I read, and though it was worth mentioning here.

http://www.oneskein.com/secretpal.asp

Ladybug
04-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Wow, that is cool! I may have to join up :)

Ellen Edwards
04-05-2006, 09:05 AM
That looks very intriguing!! They keep thinking of more and more knit-along ideas, huh! ;)

blueeyes28
04-05-2006, 09:21 AM
I am thinking about joining as well....or maybe we should do something like that.

brendajos
04-05-2006, 09:37 AM
i would totally dig that if it was something we did on here.

blueeyes28
04-05-2006, 09:50 AM
It makes so much sense for us to do it there is nobody else I would rather exchange yarn with than anyone on this forum!!!! :cheering:

Danielle
04-05-2006, 09:52 AM
I agree! Let's do it here! :thumbsup:

blueeyes28
04-05-2006, 09:59 AM
OK,now we just have to figure out how we will do it . :thumbsup:

Secksiebrat
04-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Sounds very interesting. I don't know much about different skeins as I am new, but it would give me the chance to learn about some great ones! I'd be interested if it was set up here on the boards!

~danielle~

PS If someone wanted to set it up, it would be rather easy imo, could just take the information they are collecting and make a post here with it, and then have someone that would take all the emails as people wanted to sign up, by taking the questions from here and emailing them to the setup person. Or I might be able to create a form on a website and have it mailed directly to that person. Let me know if you guys want some help as I am a graphic designer and can do website and such.

blueeyes28
04-05-2006, 10:24 AM
I am very new to computers and forums and all that so anyone who knows what they are doing feel free to take control I do not know where to start! :??

Secksiebrat
04-05-2006, 10:30 AM
I'll play around on dreamweaver and see if I can't get a form up to make it easy. I have my neice and nephew for a couple of hours so it wont be until this evening that I can play. :)

~danielle~

brendajos
04-05-2006, 10:45 AM
we may want to clear it with the Mods and Amy first to make sure it is okay. i can't imagine that they would object but there could be very logical reasons for them to decide it isn't a good idea.

blueeyes28
04-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah absolutely!

brendajos
04-05-2006, 10:57 AM
i PMd Kelly

Rennagayle
04-05-2006, 11:23 AM
If the mods/Amy approve it, it sounds like fun to me! :D

Debbie
04-05-2006, 12:06 PM
I agree, I thought it sounded like fun, but would much rather do it here where we can share pix and thank you's much easier.... Maybe the pix and thank you's could be a blog, that way we wouldn't have to make up secret email addresses.

gardenmommy
04-05-2006, 01:08 PM
You mean I would have to part with a precious skein of yarn from my stash? :shock: I might have to go BUY something (or many somethings) to exchange. ;) :blush:

Count me in once it is set up! How fun! :cheering:

brendajos
04-05-2006, 01:16 PM
i would think that we would have to put a price range on it...i would hate to send out some Lion and Lamb and get some Sugar n Cream (yeah that's extreme) and vice versa. hmmm....maybe that could be a question in the questionaire...."What price range are you comfortable with?"

i shudder at the thought of having to knit something for someone too! My family is impressed by my work but they don't knit...ya'll would know how bad i really am! :rofling:

dustinac
04-05-2006, 01:34 PM
i would think that we would have to put a price range on it...i would hate to send out some Lion and Lamb and get some Sugar n Cream (yeah that's extreme) and vice versa. hmmm....maybe that could be a question in the questionaire...."What price range are you comfortable with?"

i shudder at the thought of having to knit something for someone too! My family is impressed by my work but they don't knit...ya'll would know how bad i really am! :rofling:

yeah I think a price range is a good idea too... My LYS doesn't carry alot to choose from either basically just plymouth...so I'd prolly have to order from an online site... I don't know alot of the yarns ya'll mention either... they carry alot of Plymouth and some brown sheep & Co

:rofling: no knitter can see Roo's dress up close I know where the mistakes are but I don't wanna be told where they are :roflhard: I did show it to my LYS inst. cause she went through the difficult times with me she was just so happy that I got it done lol...

Sweet_Thang
04-05-2006, 01:38 PM
that is so cool!! I would definitely consider being a part of it!!

Lexie,

The knewbie knitter

roxtarchic
04-05-2006, 02:15 PM
i would LOVE to participate if this were a KH thing.... and i've got some extra skeins that i would part w/that are in ALL the different ranges....

so maybe it might be a good idea to do it in degrees....

the big wheels or beginners (w/the lower end priced stuff)
the training wheels or intermediates (w/the middle of the roads)
and the unicyclists... or the experienced (w/the high end jammies)

whattaya think? (cause i can ride allll three)

Cristy
04-05-2006, 02:16 PM
I'd do it too!!! Someone please post or pm me and let me know if this gets started! :) I'll keep an eye out too...

Secksiebrat
04-05-2006, 02:29 PM
After it is approved (I'm assuming it would be), we'll need someone to head it up. I feel like I'm too new to be heading up such a big project, but I'm willing to help out if need be. I think it would be easiest to post the questions that each participant needs to answer and have them copy/paste them in an email answer them and then email them to whomever wants to head it up. There can be a deadline and then that person can get everything organized and email each person as to who their secret knitter pal is and get started.

I don't know much about different yarns, so I'll be a beginner no doubt, but I think it'll definitely be something fun and a good way to really get me knitting (My hooded blanket seems long and hard and for my first real project I feel like I"m loosing interest b/c it's takes a lot to see any kind of results).

~danielle~

HollyP
04-05-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm interested! Sounds like fun. Knitting for someone here would be kinda scary. Like someone else said you all know how to knit and would see all my mistakes :oops: - unless it was felted ;)

roxtarchic
04-05-2006, 02:56 PM
i also think it's a great way to make a more personal knitting connection & friend y'know...? (not that i think kh is impersonal or anything)... i dunno i just think it would be really cool

brendajos
04-05-2006, 02:58 PM
After it is approved (I'm assuming it would be), we'll need someone to head it up. I feel like I'm too new to be heading up such a big project, but I'm willing to help out if need be. I think it would be easiest to post the questions that each participant needs to answer and have them copy/paste them in an email answer them and then email them to whomever wants to head it up. There can be a deadline and then that person can get everything organized and email each person as to who their secret knitter pal is and get started.

I don't know much about different yarns, so I'll be a beginner no doubt, but I think it'll definitely be something fun and a good way to really get me knitting (My hooded blanket seems long and hard and for my first real project I feel like I"m loosing interest b/c it's takes a lot to see any kind of results).

~danielle~

ooooh danielle, you have fallen into the big project trap! quick...do a hat or something so you don't lose interest!

kemp
04-05-2006, 04:21 PM
This is just my two cents and I am sure this would never happen here, BUT...

I just got done being one of the hostesses for Secret Pal 7. Overall it went well, but I was totally SHOCKED at how some of the people that signed up either didn't hold up their end of the bargain at all or did so with things that their pal had no interest in receiving (ie red heart when they said natural fibers only, questionnaires were posted, etc) This happened despite very clearly defined rules.

Just a caution if you decide to do this. I still can't believe what some people in that exchange did!

brendajos
04-05-2006, 04:31 PM
well i did voice that issue when i PMed Kelly to see if it was okay that we do this. I have been part of swaps where the people who signed up didn't even send anything but received their package. they would go on and on saying it was on the way and it would never arrive. The person receiving would then come to the forum and out the person for doing it. it may be justified but it never helps keep the peace amongst everybody else. i would HATE to see this group get fractured over something like that! i would rather be part of the interweave one where i have no expectations of the people involved because i don't "know" them than to see the happy existence we have disappear!

Debbie
04-05-2006, 04:42 PM
When my knitting guild does a "Yankee Swap" .... brown bag, choose a number .... sometimes you get something really good and sometimes you think ... what were they thinking. You sort of have to take the good with the bad. MY FAVORITE part of it is seeing who got what I brought and trying to bring the best "gift". Maybe we have to sign up knowing we have to take the good with the bad.... but I am thinking if it is going to be 20 or so of us KHer ... AND .... we are going to be posting our "gift" for EVERYONE TO SEE .... I doubt there will be any 100 yr old red heart :) but even if I got 100 year old red heart I would truly assume that it was the best the person had to give. That's just the way we are here at KH!!!

Danielle
04-05-2006, 04:44 PM
well i did voice that issue when i PMed Kelly to see if it was okay that we do this. I have been part of swaps where the people who signed up didn't even send anything but received their package. they would go on and on saying it was on the way and it would never arrive. The person receiving would then come to the forum and out the person for doing it. it may be justified but it never helps keep the peace amongst everybody else. i would HATE to see this group get fractured over something like that! i would rather be part of the interweave one where i have no expectations of the people involved because i don't "know" them than to see the happy existence we have disappear!
I can see how this would be an issue....but in my opinion, I think the regular visitors to this site are pretty honest, and would hold up to their end of the deal....i dunno....we'll see what the mods think. ;) :thumbsup:

brendajos
04-05-2006, 04:56 PM
When my knitting guild does a "Yankee Swap" .... brown bag, choose a number .... sometimes you get something really good and sometimes you think ... what were they thinking. You sort of have to take the good with the bad. MY FAVORITE part of it is seeing who got what I brought and trying to bring the best "gift". Maybe we have to sign up knowing we have to take the good with the bad.... but I am thinking if it is going to be 20 or so of us KHer ... AND .... we are going to be posting our "gift" for EVERYONE TO SEE .... I doubt there will be any 100 yr old red heart :) but even if I got 100 year old red heart I would truly assume that it was the best the person had to give. That's just the way we are here at KH!!!

you make an excellent point Debbie. One of the things that i love most about holidays and such is just the excitment of opening the presents. even when i know what i am getting i am excited! i have gotten some BAD stuff in those swaps i have done but the anticipation of the getting and hearing from the recipient has been the best!

brendajos
04-05-2006, 04:59 PM
oh and one of the suggestions that was made, was maybe limiting it to people who have made X number of posts...not a bad idea...will get the people who aren't quite there yet post more ;) and make sure the people who come to play are gonna stick around with us! :D

blueeyes28
04-05-2006, 05:07 PM
I think that is something that can only be determined by trying it out and seeing how it goes if it doesn't go well we will know not to do it again and if it does go well maybe we could do it again another time.

horve1
04-05-2006, 06:16 PM
This is a really great idea. If it doesn't get going here, (or I'm not allowed to participate because I don't have enough posts or something :crying:), I'll probably go do it at the original site. But I hope we do it here. It would be so much more fun with people I feel like I'm starting to get to know.

Ingrid
04-05-2006, 06:19 PM
If we do this, I wonder if it should be restricted to number of posts. We get so many new people, and it would be a shame to be excluded just because they haven't been around that long.

CateKnits
04-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Look, Ingrid, it exists! I feel like I half-jokingly posted this idea in your blog a while ago. :roflhard:

HollyP
04-05-2006, 07:31 PM
PUHLEEASE don't limit it to people who have x amount of posts!! I really don't have many I think this is my 17th but I would really like to be a part of this. I am fairly new to this site and posting here I don't think I, or others like me, should be penalized because I have just discovered this great community.If you need confirmation that i am a nice person who will hold up her end of the deal I can give you a link to my ebay feedback and I have plenty of people who would write me letters of recommendation :D Just a fairly newbie's $.02.

brendajos
04-05-2006, 07:46 PM
PUHLEEASE don't limit it to people who have x amount of posts!! I really don't have many I think this is my 17th but I would really like to be a part of this. I am fairly new to this site and posting here I don't think I, or others like me, should be penalized because I have just discovered this great community.If you need confirmation that i am a nice person who will hold up her end of the deal I can give you a link to my ebay feedback and I have plenty of people who would write me letters of recommendation :D Just a fairly newbie's $.02.

awwww how could we resist that plea?! :rofling:

Cristy
04-05-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm game for whatever--it would be a shame to exclude newbies that are sincere but I have to say this for the record: I was once part of a scrapbooking forum where I did a few journals and several folks (new ones especially) flaked out and it's really sad b/c I lost 2 journals and a set of tags b/c of it. My fear is that the same thing would happen again...I just think that sometimes new folks get REALLY excited about a new hobby and jump on a lot of projects...then as the excitement dwindles down...so does their participation. It's really frustrating when that happens.

But all of that aside...I would hate to exclude a great person who is interested in participating. The only suggestion I have is that if someone "heads things up", they get a contact phone number from everyone in case we need to contact someone to find out what happened to someone's "stuff". It's a pain to have to do that but it's frustrating to loose out b/c someone else doesn't do their part.

I tend to think most everyone around here is a pretty great person...just my 2 cents...

Ingrid
04-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Look, Ingrid, it exists! I feel like I half-jokingly posted this idea in your blog a while ago. :roflhard:

You're ahead of your time, Cate! ;)

CateKnits
04-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Better than behind, I suppose. :shock:

Ingrid
04-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Better than behind, I suppose. :shock:

So true! ;)

brendajos
04-05-2006, 08:04 PM
well i think that interweave has a good plan with that Ambassador thing...we have a lot of generous people so i am sure that we would have plenty of ambassador's in that eventuality. i think we would just have to lay the ground rules down that say that there can't be any airing of grievances on the site because it would just drag everybody in and make people start taking sides. we reeeeeeally don't want that! :rollseyes:

Ingrid
04-05-2006, 08:06 PM
well i think that interweave has a good plan with that Ambassador thing...we have a lot of generous people so i am sure that we would have plenty of ambassador's in that eventuality. i think we would just have to lay the ground rules down that say that there can't be any airing of grievances on the site because it would just drag everybody in and make people start taking sides. we reeeeeeally don't want that! :rollseyes:

I ABSOLUTELY agree. If anyone drops the ball, or anyone is disappointed, it should be handled by PM somehow. We do not want anyone to get a bad rep or feel embarrassed to return. Stuff happens sometimes.

IrishBaby
04-05-2006, 08:10 PM
What a fun idea! Most swaps that I've been a part of have a post requirement or a membership length requirement.

mks22300
04-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Sounds like fun to me so count me in! Although I'm not sure about the knitting for someone else part-I am rather slow at it still! :oops:

mintdee
04-05-2006, 08:19 PM
I would love to be involved in this! I think this group is so good together that while there is the chance that there will be someone who doesn't hold up their end I think that that person would be more than taken care of what with all of the caring people around here. :thumbsup:

dustinac
04-05-2006, 09:46 PM

oh yes or it'll be like a teddy bear board that makes ya run in the oppostie direction when one of these is mentioned :rofling:

I'm thinking I would like to do this but still have some doubts too... I'm always afraid I'll disappoint the person whose name I have... Esp. since I don't know much on yarn yet and only have one LYS that is limited... Alot of the yarns you guys mentions I've never seen in person or felt.. so still thinking here :thinking:

Shandeh
04-05-2006, 10:00 PM
I agree with mintdee. I think that if someone gets slighted, someone else will take care of them. I, for one, have so much in my stash that I wouldn't even notice if a skein was missing. I'd step up to the plate if something gets lost.

KellyK
04-05-2006, 10:55 PM
There has been a discussion started amongst the mods....in the meantime, my only (personal) thought is that there would need to be absolute clarity about "entering at your own risk". We LOVE the idea of sharing and community and so on (and by "we" I mean the majority of KH members) but we cant, in any way, set Amy or KH up to be responsible for anything, ya know?

CateKnits
04-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Could we (whoever wants to do it, I mean...I may or may not be included) maybe set up a separate thing to do this? Like they did for The Amy Project? Or is that too involved?

Nana
04-06-2006, 12:40 AM
I could get into that, I think that would be cool in here :happydance:

knitstress_tygher
04-06-2006, 01:23 AM
Wow! I had no idea this was going to get such a fantastic response! Y'all are so cute!

I'd love to be a part of this too, if it happens. I was considering doing the Interweave project ... but I'd much rather be part of it here!

blueeyes28
04-06-2006, 06:47 AM
Kellyk is right about entering at your own risk people should not be afraid to dissapoint the other person as long as they follow through with their end of the deal they shouldn't worry that what they have to offer isn't good enough.

roxtarchic
04-06-2006, 09:01 AM
ok, so now it's knitting something w/a skien? i'd still be interested but i'm sooo confused! so it's swaping a skien & a FO? or just an FO made w/a skien?

brendajos
04-06-2006, 10:21 AM
well that interweave one is two skeins (i believe that's what it said) in June and July, and then in August you reveal yourself and send 2 skeins AND a f/o made with one skein (i am assuming maybe one of the skeins they sent you?)

i would think we can do it any ol' way we want to though. i think their questionaire is pretty good so we could....ahem....borrow most of that! (i honestly don't care how old the person is that i am giving to or getting from but others may.) Maybe the easiest way to do it is just make sure we put a price limit on the whole thing and let the givers decide from there!

anyway i think we just need to get the yes or no from the modular group and then just do it. we have several pages of just talking about it so let's just make a decision and do it. I will be happy to help pass out names but i can't do it all by my lonesome! ;)

mintdee
04-06-2006, 10:25 AM
I'd help ya bren! :D

brendajos
04-06-2006, 10:27 AM
oooh that would be perfect...we can do it and KIP while we do!

MULTI-TASKING! :rofling:

blueeyes28
04-06-2006, 10:29 AM
I am so excited about this I would be willing to do something I am not sure what I can do (I am not very good with computers) but let me know if I can do something!!! :happydance:

mintdee
04-06-2006, 10:39 AM
oooohhh that would be fun Bren! :XX: :XX: I didn't even think about that :doh: :roflhard:

Shandeh
04-06-2006, 12:48 PM
With regard to the pricing problem, here is my two cents:

When we sign up, we could specify how much we are willing to spend for one skein. $5, $10, $15, $20, or higher

The trading groups could be set up with those price increments.

DragonTush
04-06-2006, 01:08 PM
I would be interested in doing something like this too. :thumbsup:

I do think a price limit is a good idea.

I'm a little confused about the whole process though.....are we to knit something with the skein we recieve? Can we add yarn to make something bigger or do we just make a one skein project?

brendajos
04-06-2006, 01:23 PM
okay let's talk about this like we are going to do it. I have questions for how people would want this to play out.

1. Would you want this for one month only or for 3 months?
2. One skein or Two?
3. Knitted F/O at the end or not?
4. Do you want pricing brackets or just one price limit?

okay i think that is enough for a start.

and my question for the Mods....are we good with this going forward? we are at five pages of chatter about it now! :D

mintdee
04-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I think a three month streach would be cool. One skein req. more if the sender wants, and honestly I really do not have time to knit anything at the moment so the skeins would be better. I think that if we specify what not to get (like Red Heart or LB Homespun ;) or if there is a person who is allergic to wool) That would give the sender a better idea than if we set a price limit. There are some nice cheap yarns it is more of a not sure what to get thing. This could be a great way to educate! :P Just my 2 cents.

I think that regardless of what we get we will enjoy the getting. :thumbsup:

brendajos
04-06-2006, 01:38 PM
i agree about the fiber content thing actually. I LOVE Lambs Pride and don't find it particularly expensive (in that it is often less expensive than some of the Lion Brand stuff!) and yeah, i think we have discussed my schedule for the next few months...not sure if i can knit a DECENT f/o in that time really :rollseyes:

Shandeh
04-06-2006, 01:39 PM
I think that one month would be long enough.

2. One skein or Two?
Two skeins would be better.

Not

Pricing Brackets

Celine
04-06-2006, 01:53 PM
If we have it here I'd love to join in too!! :XX: :XX:

earthchick
04-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Ooh, ooh, I wanna do this too.!

My only problem with the interweave questionnaire was their breakdown of ages. Right now I'm at the upper end of one of the categories, and come June I'll be toppling over the edge into the next bracket. :doh:

Okay, my answers:

1 - I like the idea of 3 months - June-August
2 - I like it the way the interweave folks are doing it - one skein in June, one skeing in July.
3 - Yes to the one-skein FO (again like the other one - the FO in August, near the end)
4 - I like the pricing brackets

I also like the idea of being able to do a questionnaire so people know what each other's fiber preferences are, etc. :thumbsup:

horve1
04-06-2006, 02:04 PM
3 months, 2 skeins & fo, probably with $ brackets.

Cristy
04-06-2006, 02:55 PM
I think any length of time would be good

I like just the idea of the skein exchange but I would love to keep the object I knit from the skein...maybe we could have a dedicated thread in KALs or something so everyone could show the skeins and then the object they choose to knit with it??? THat would minimize mailing too. We could exchange the skein(s) in June and then have to post our FO by July??? Just a thought.

I guess that means I'm okay with one or two skeins...

I like price brackets and maybe other yarn preference info. It'd be helpful to know any fiber preferences, fav color, etc.

butterflymama
04-06-2006, 03:21 PM

3 sounds good. But I am open to any time.

2. One skein or Two?

Open to this one...either is fine with me.

Not

Brackets sound like they would help to avoid the whole, can you believe I was sent xyz yarn thing.

Lisa1216
04-06-2006, 04:07 PM
I think I'd like to do this too. :thinking:

1. 1, 2 or 3 months is fine.
2. one skein or 2 is fine with me
3. knitted FO? not sure on this (maybe if we do a FO, it could be in September when most kids are back to school and vacations/summer plans are over with)
4. pricing brackets would be good

dustinac
04-06-2006, 04:14 PM
2. One skein or Two?

1. 3 months
2. One Skein
3. optional :lol:
4.Yes

:thinking: still :rofling:

Secksiebrat
04-06-2006, 04:58 PM
I'd be interested in doing this, if I'm allowed since I'm new to the boards and don't have a lot of posts..

3 would be fine with me!
2. One skein or Two?
2 skeins would be good
Sure if I could find a cute little quick project.
Yes

I do have a question though. Would it be a good idea to pair people up as far as levels are concerend? Like beginners, intermediate, advanced? (in my mind) that would also kind of decide the price braket. For me I"m still using the cheaper stuff as I don't know a lot about yarn and I tend to mess up a lot. I would think someone intermediate, might be using nicer yarn and advanced probably using something really "uber".

I don't know, it's just a thought. If anyone is ever interested, I'd love a tutorial on yarns! From cheaper-expensive and different types/brands and what they can be used for!

~danielle~

beldaraan
04-06-2006, 04:58 PM
I want to put forth a question about the choice of 1,2, or 3 months. Is this time given for someone just to go out and buy/send a a skein or 2 of yarn??? I would say no longer than 1 month max! The longer you give someone to get yarn, the longer it could take that person to get the yarn. For example, if you go ahead with 3 months, then a person may think, "I have lots of time to pick out a yarn, so I'll do it later." Well, when later comes, that person could become swamped and then miss the deadline. Or, people could lose interest in knitting by then. Three months is a LONG time. I say 1 month because everyone is excited about it NOW, so do it now and not later.

I will not be able to participate in this, but, after reading previous comments, I thought I'd point out the options for time.

brendajos
04-06-2006, 05:11 PM
sorry Beldie i didn't consider that someone might take my question like that. No i was talking about sending out a new skein (or two...whatever is decided) each month if it was for three months.

Danielle I don't think it is level of experience that decides that kind of thing...(my first yarn i EVER bought was at a ridiculous price :rollseyes: i had no idea i SWEAR!...lol) i think it really is all about the money comfort level. unless something reeeeeeeally grabs at me i just can't bring myself to spend over $15 and it is rare that i can spend over $10....just a built in censor for me. (*shakes fist at the frugal farmer papa who is hangin' out in heaven laughin' at me!*) i remember when my grandmother was alive she was ALWAYS knitting and made us some gorgeous afghans. i would say she was the best knitter i ever knew but she rarely used anything but red heart. she could afford "better" but she liked it so that's what she used. i do not love that afghan on my sofa any less because the yarn wasn't crazy expensive....probably more actually because i don't feel like i can't use it!! :thumbsup:

Secksiebrat
04-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Very true. Like I said this is all new to me! Price range works perfectly fine with me!

~danielle~

Tammy6071
04-06-2006, 05:20 PM
I think this is a great idea, and personally I would love to be able to participate in this! Heres my opinion on the questions asked:

1. Would you want this for one month only or for 3 months? 3 months
2. One skein or Two? 1 skein
3. Knitted F/O at the end or not? Yes, but I think there should be a longer time limit on this due to schedules, time limitations, etc.
4. Do you want pricing brackets or just one price limit? Yes to pricing brackets.[/b]

knitstress_tygher
04-06-2006, 05:37 PM
okay let's talk about this like we are going to do it. I have questions for how people would want this to play out.

2. One skein or Two?

1. I think more than one month would be better ... I can't always finish something in a month .. but in three, I surely can.
2. I think we should shoot for a 'one skein wonder' .. but certainly not fuss if someone makes something with more. It's a voluntary thing, after all. :)
3. I like the idea of getting a FO at the end.
4. I would prefer just a limit personally .. brackets are kinda ... brackety. And you never know what jewels you're going to find at any moment .. it's not about the money, after all, but about the find!

rebecca
04-06-2006, 05:47 PM
I think I'm probably in...sounds like fun :D I can give a more definitive answer when all of the parameters are set ;)

1. Would you want this for one month only or for 3 months? 1 month
2. One skein or Two? either
3. Knitted F/O at the end or not? no FO for me bc of my health, I'd hate to say that I was going to knit something & not be able to
4. Do you want pricing brackets or just one price limit? either way is good with me ;)

mks22300
04-06-2006, 05:47 PM
3 sounds good
2. One skein or Two?
1 or 2 would be fine with me
On the fence about that one. I think it would be great to see a FO with the skein that we were sent and I like the idea of setting up a KAL.
Pricing brackets

Angelia
04-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Oooh, I love the idea of this! I'm in!

3 months

2. One skein or Two?

One or two

3. Knitted FO at the end or not?

An FO, definitely!

Brackets

And definitely fiber preferences--yes wool/no wool, yes cotton/no cotton, etc.

Celine
04-06-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm an advanced beginner at knitting but I already buy expensive yarns. I have "expensive taste". So I like the price bracket idea. :XX:

Is anyone planning on ordering the book "One Skein" that their Secret Pal skein exchange is based on. On their site it says it is to help launch the new book. :D

Debbie
04-06-2006, 07:53 PM

3 months - I would like for the person sending the yarn to tell something about it ..... it was in my stash, it jumped into my bag, i got it because it is your favorite color, I got it on vacation in .... I saw your post about______ and knew you would love it.

June - send 1 skein -- post pix of the skein you receive

July - send 1 skein -- post pix of the skein you receive

August - post pix of an FO you made with one or both of your "received" skeins

After your FO is posted ... SENDER reveals themselves with a post so we all get to see who sent such lucious yarn

2. One skein or Two?
one each month

FO that you keep yourself made from one of your gift skeins

I think the questionnaire should have a how much would you be willing to spend question .... and match up accordingly ... but no set RULE ... you have to spend this , you have to buy this ... I really really do trust whoever gets my name to "do unto others" ...
or .... I think it would be really fun to give a really amazing skein to someone who wouldn't otherwise ever get to knit with it ! So after all that ... I guess I am for ..... you get what you get !!!

Angelia
04-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Oooh, I like the storytelling bit, Debbie! I also like the build-up with the yarn porn pics--nice! :thumbsup:

I think this does need a separate forum ;)

monzogary
04-06-2006, 08:04 PM

3 months - I would like for the person sending the yarn to tell something about it ..... it was in my stash, it jumped into my bag, i got it because it is your favorite color, I got it on vacation in .... I saw your post about______ and knew you would love it.

June - send 1 skein -- post pix of the skein you receive

July - send 1 skein -- post pix of the skein you receive

August - post pix of an FO you made with one or both of your "received" skeins

After your FO is posted ... SENDER reveals themselves with a post so we all get to see who sent such lucious yarn

2. One skein or Two?
one each month

FO that you keep yourself made from one of your gift skeins

I think the questionnaire should have a how much would you be willing to spend question .... and match up accordingly ... but no set RULE ... you have to spend this , you have to buy this ... I really really do trust whoever gets my name to "do unto others" ...
or .... I think it would be really fun to give a really amazing skein to someone who wouldn't otherwise ever get to knit with it ! So after all that ... I guess I am for ..... you get what you get !!!

I agree with everything you said! :thumbsup: This sounds like it would be great fun.

KellyK
04-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Sorry it took a bit to get y'all an answer! :oops:

None of us have any objection. You get a GREAT BIG "GO AHEAD"!

My PERSONAL suggestion would be for the organizer (Bren? sounds like you've got the job!) and helpers to discuss the set-up and "rules" in PMs or whatever and then post in the KAL forum (or wherever) when the project is ready to go.

So many of you participated in TAP.... and you know how specific we had to be about the guidelines there. Be as clear as possible about your guidelines/expectations, and be ready for lots of questions. :lol:

I think lots of GREAT suggestions have already been made.... the only question that came up in the Mod's discussion was "I have so many single skeins...what would I do with another?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember that Fibergirl participated in an exchange....the guidelines there included spending a certain amt of $$ over a certain period of time....that way all participants received the same VALUE, but they may have received a couple skeins of REALLY GOOD yarn, OR several skeins of a more affordable yarn. That idea might work here, instead of naming just a number of skeins... :thinking:

carollovesyarn
04-06-2006, 09:03 PM

3 months, like the IK one - one sk per month for 2 months, then an FO (out of any single skein, can be one of the ones you received or not). I also really like the idea of going out and buying currently available yarn. I think part of IKs motivation with that was to expose people to current yarn that they can still get more of in case they want to make a bigger project. I'm not against people buying yarn on sale or anything, but I would like something currently available.

2. One skein or Two?

one skein per month for two months - more full sks or partials ok as a bonus. The whole point of this is to creatively use one skein - or do not fear the orphan!

I'd like to see this sharing of creativity.

Personally I think brackets are splitting hairs (especially since I have no idea what I'll be buying until I get a pal and find the perfect yarn), but one price range is good, like $5-$20? Hey, I'm poor and unemployed, but I'll sign up with the knowledge that I am spending this by choice and saving up my pennies to do so. Total expediture limit would work too.

I was going to sign up at IK, but I may just do it here - not sure yet. It feels like the odds of getting burned there are greater, but at least they have ambassadors (or whatever they call them).

I think yarn preferences are fine, so long as we include 'novelty, no more than 1 novelty, no novelty'. I have too much novelty! The more detailed the questionaire, the more fun it will be to find the right yarn!

beckyrhae
04-06-2006, 09:15 PM
I want in! I want in!

I think 3 months is better, that way I have time to make something nice (still slow)

2 skeins would be cool. I like the story idea.

FO? Yes, for yourself or to send to your buddy. It should be optional maybe?

Price brackets is a good idea, but if we work up a questionaire it should cover it too.

blueeyes28
04-07-2006, 06:56 AM
I agree with corollovesyarn!!

Debbie
04-07-2006, 07:18 AM
So ...... how does the "exchange" go ....

I buy for you and you buy for me ..... OR

I buy for you, you buy for her, she buys for him, he buys for them, they buy for us, we buy for the other her .....

Pairs or " hat draw"

I prefer "hat draw" that way we get to know two new people, the one you buy for and the one you thank.

dustinac
04-07-2006, 08:42 AM
I was wondering :rollseyes: if you sign up and lets say you join the 15.00 bracket well what if one month your LYS has a skein for that but the next month thats the only they carry... do you buy 2 of something to keep you in the 15.00 bracket :rofling:

HollyP
04-07-2006, 10:15 AM
2-3 months
2. One skein or Two?
either
FO
Brackets

I can't believe how much this thread has grown since yesterday!

edited for spelling I need my coffee today!

DragonTush
04-07-2006, 12:29 PM
. Would you want this for one month only or for 3 months?
3 months
2. One skein or Two?
either
I like the idea of knitting something for ourselves and then posting the results but I'll go with whatever is decided.
Either is fine.

Ellen Edwards
04-07-2006, 12:54 PM
I am really sorry--I thought I'd be able to do this at first, but I didn't understand all the things involved!! I don't have a large stash, and what I mostly have is acrylic baby yarn, and few skeins of sock yarn (not expensive though). Also, I DONT have a LYS--and I mean not within 60 miles!! I can get to a Michael's in about an hour--but you all know that Michael's doesn't cater to knitters at all. Neither do any of the JoAnn's I've seen so far. :crying:

I just thought this was just going to be a FO , made with one skein, and sent to a secret pal!! (I just don't KNOW about these things yet!) :shock: And last of all, and the most important reason of all, is that I promised my dh that I wouldn't buy anymore yarn until we could save up some more so he could get a hip replace :inlove: ment. He has insurance, but he can't get disability until 90 days after the surgery!! :shock: Good Heavens--we hope he's back at work before then! :rollseyes: So--when I PROMISE, by Golly, I gotta keep that promise!! ;)

I would never want to disappoint someone who was expecting a wonderful Secret Pal package to come, and then get some dinky yarn I have in my stash because I can't buy anyhting really nice. Even though I'm like Celine (I have expensive yarn taste!!!), I can't afford it, and I couldn't send for something really great as long as I'm under THE PROMISE

Youall have fun and write about it--I want to see what gets made and who gets the best Secret Pal prize!!! I'll miss having a secret pal--it was going to be my first time!

Angelia
04-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Over in Cate's blog we're working on a KAL that's a kind of knit-a-bit-along in which you start a scarf, knit a few inches, then send it to someone else who does the same thing, etc., then you eventually get your scarf back all finished and loverly, and you get to see in person the work of other KHers. You do the same for them and their scarves. (I hope that makes sense...I need a nap.) Anyway, that might be the perfect group project for you! As soon as we finalize the details, I'll pm you, or you can just keep an eye out in the KAL forum.

Cristy
04-08-2006, 01:46 PM
bump...what's up with this idea? Anything started yet?? I'm waiting....

Cristy
04-08-2006, 10:24 PM
bump bump bump...I hate being impatient...did this just die out???

brendajos
04-08-2006, 10:34 PM
no sorry....i got busy doing real work at work (unlike all the pretending i do! ;) ) and have been gone all day today. we are workin' on it though! :thumbsup:

Angelia
04-08-2006, 11:36 PM
I'm in, too, whenever the plan is finalized! :thumbsup:

Rennagayle
04-09-2006, 12:16 AM
I guess that, like Ellen (Trudy), I'll not try and join. I don't have enough in my stash, either. My nearest LYS isn't so "L". :mrgreen: It's about a hundred miles from me.

Angelia's idea sounds neat, so I think I'll wait and try and get in on something like that in the future.

Meanwhile, it will be fun reading about this project from the posts of those of you who join. :D

sogrammatical
04-09-2006, 02:15 AM
I would definitely be interested!

I won't copy/paste the questions, but I liked the suggestion of one skein a month for two months and a FO for the third month.

Cristy
04-09-2006, 07:58 AM
no sorry....i got busy doing real work at work (unlike all the pretending i do! ;) ) and have been gone all day today. we are workin' on it though! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update--sorry to be impatient...I'm just excited!!! :happydance: :happydance:

Angelia
04-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Your avatar looks excited, too, Cristy! :rofling:

HollyP
04-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Your avatar looks excited, too, Cristy! :rofling:
I was just thinking the same thing! :rofling:

Celine
04-09-2006, 02:02 PM
ANGELIA, I would be interested in that KAL on the scarf too!! Can you also let me know more about it too?? :XX: Thanks so much!

Angelia
04-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Sure will--as soon as we figure it out ;)

Apparently, organizing this stuff takes time. Hmph! Don't like that, but the end result should be really fun for all involved!

brendajos
04-13-2006, 08:08 AM
badonkadonk :D

So it begins! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11900)