PDA

View Full Version : OT: dogs

Carol_OH
04-12-2006, 02:13 AM
As some of you may remember, we had to put down our dog this past fall.

Now she was kinda a big dog - german shep/husky.

I'm really missing a dog around, and was wondering about what type, if at all, should we get?

Small dogs tend to be too annoying? aren't they? Jumping all around and stuff.

But I don't want a big dog either - they need SOOO much exercise and we don't have a fence yet and after our last dog's health/hip problems...

Any helpful hints - maybe just a regular ol' mutt (but with what breeds of mutt-ness?)

*amazing what insomnia brings out of the woodwork!* ;)

Jan in CA
04-12-2006, 02:22 AM
Really small dogs can be yappy and annoying, but I think most dogs can be trained. However maybe a medium size dog is a good idea. Since a dog is a family member for so long you might want to invest in a book or check out some from the library. It's always good to know what breeds have the most health issues, grooming needs, etc.

Here's a few websites to check out.

Pet Place (http://www.petplace.com/)
Dog Breed Info
(http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/)
Terrific Pets (http://www.terrificpets.com/dog_breeds/)
Animal Planet breed selector (http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do)

JennyLeah
04-12-2006, 02:30 AM
I come from a large dog family. The smallest dog I can remember having (until recently, that is) is a Boxer. (Which, for the record, is one of the sweetest breeds EVER.)

In the last several years, though, having gotten a start out on my own and all that, I've fallen in love with sighthounds. I'm not too picky about the size, although I'd suggest sizing them to stay proportionate to your living environment. (Which is one reason we didn't even try to rescue a greyhound when we were looking for a dog a couple years ago... Can you imagine a greyhound in a small apartment? That would be sacrilege!) We decided a Whippet was our breed of choice, and she is just a perfect fit for our family.

And she gives me an excuse to knit. I'm determined to knit her more than a handful of sweaters before her first Ohio winter next year. So if nothing else, look for a dog with short hair. :XX:

kayeknit
04-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Sorry about your dog. I cannot imagine it. Our dog is a dalmatian mix...She is totally dalmatian (looks, behavior, etc.). We got her from the pound, and she is medium size (40 lbs.). She is still VERY hyper (at about six years old), and needs lots of exercise. But you could NEVER find a more affectionate, eager-to-please dog! I would definitely visit the local shelter and ask lots of questions about the dogs there. Our dog was in the pound for a long time. So you'd think no one wanted her, which made us wary. But, as I said, she is the sweetest dog in the world, and absolutely perfect for us. (Maybe the jumping up on people put them off? :rofling: )
So, depending on your lifestyle (do you walk a lot?, where do you live?, etc.), you may just find the perfect dog for your family at the shelter, too! Mixed breed dogs make great pets, and are generally less prone to certain diseases/disorders that pure bred dogs inherit. Good luck, Carol, and let us know what happens!

dustinac
04-12-2006, 08:43 AM
I grew up with larger dogs but personally and I know we all think our furbaby is the best lol but I think Shelties and Shih-tzu make the best dogs.. My grandmother has a Shih-tzu, My dh's grandmother now has 2, my mom just lost hers back this summer due to age, and I have a rescued shih-tzu.. They don't yap much only when something is odd or strange to their enviroment... they are not hyper and are pretty calm.. and all of ours love/loved cats :lol: Mine loves my little girl and he sleeps under her bed.. Shelties are another breed I love and make great dogs!! Both dogs require grooming though shih-tzus do not shed... Shelties require more exercise but Shermee is ok with a walk or running with the kids outside...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your furbaby its hard when we lose them...

kitkat
04-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Unfortunately I would suggest a lab and I realize that is not what you are looking for size-wise. I have been visiting PetFinders (I do this every spring during tax season - as if we have time for ANOTHER dog!) and there are some adorable lab-beagle mixes.

We had a small dog and while I loved him to pieces, he was yippy and bitey. He ended up having to be re-homed - now he lives on Kelley's Island and rides around on a golf cart all summer!!! What a life!

kitkat
04-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Oh and I don't have a fence either, I use an electric fence and it works great. We are on a corner lot on the edge of a cul-de-sac. Cooper loves it - we call the kind we got the "death ray" as it doesn't have buried wires - it gets sent out from a box - he gets shocked until he comes back in.

My boy is getting zero exercise right now - much like his mama - once tax season is over he and I are going to get skinny!

cheesiesmom
04-12-2006, 09:06 AM
We had a Brittany spaniel and a more affectionate animal you couldn't find. Besides, they are natural hunters if your DH is into that sort of thing. But what I always tell people buying their first dog is that obedience training is a must. We took ours through a class given by our School District Adult Ed. It was the best time and money spent. Maggie kniew how to behave, never jumped on people, or barked excessively (dogs have to bark sometimes; but not constantly). She was a perfect lady and her training kept her in control. We could be out in the open yard and never have to worry about her chasing people or cars. (I hate taking a walk and have some big ole dog charge the fence; scary!)

We weren't into competition type training or show work; I just wanted a well-trained, polite dog and I didn't want people complaining about my dog. Too bad they didn't have similar classes for my kids. :rofling:

beckyrhae
04-12-2006, 09:08 AM
I have Boston Terriers, great little dogs. My male is pretty small, 12 lbs at almost 2 years old. They have their moments of hyperness... commonly known to boston owners as the BT500 LOL. Mine dont bark much, the female will do the barking and its usually at strangers in the house (oddly enough its usually a man in a hat as well)

I would suggest visiting a local shelter and looking around. You never can tell what might catch your eye there. Maybe you need a big dog in a small body .. corgi, basett hound, something like that.

Good luck in your search.

kitkat
04-12-2006, 09:23 AM
I love BT's and I love Corgi's! If I didnt have a lab, those would be my next two choices! BT's are such little tough guys they have no idea they are little, and Corgi's are just such busybody's and are so smart and clever!

koolbreeze
04-12-2006, 10:04 AM
i got a chow you can have. though my husband won't let me give him away :rollseyes: i don't want a big dog... i figure if i ever get another dog it would be a tiny dog like a yorkie.

LeslieA
04-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi, I used to show Cocker Spaniels for 12 years. They are great family pets. Not too little not too small. And not yappy at all. At least mine weren't. :D They are also easily trained. After my last one died I didn't think I could handle another cocker so we haven't had a cocker since. But now we do have a papillion, they are little and yes she can be yappy but she is very affectionate. Then we have Teddy he is a pomeranian a little bigger than our papillion and not yappy at all. Then we got Tasha who is 6 mos old and she's a samoyed. I just love her to pieces. Not yappy and very eager to please. If you want any other info on my breeds just let me know. I'm always glad to help out with dog questions. :D

Cristy
04-12-2006, 10:16 AM
I know this is a small dog but I have had daschunds all of my life (weiner dogs) and they are not yappy at all! (okay, my mom's is but she also chases helicopters by running across the yard staring at the sky and likes to sleep w/ her head in a shoe...she's got problems)
They are very very loving, very cold natured, and very playful. They are smart and a joy to have around--maybe add them to your list to check out?

hedgewick
04-12-2006, 10:18 AM
I grew up with a Beagle who was the greatest dog! He was really sweet and great with kids.

I now have a cocker spaniel which I would also recomend. Very nice! We got her from a shelter when she was 5 (10 now). The only real problem we have with her is that she was an outdoor dog when we got her and had never lived in the house as far as we know. She adapted well (a little too comfy if you ask me...lol) but she was also never housebroken so that has been and still is a problem. Housebreaking a full grown outdoor dog is VERY HARD if not impossible. I think she knows she is supposed to go outside but doesn't wait long so if you don't watch her like a hawk she goes on the floor. Lucky for us our floors are hardwood so it's not hard to clean it up. She also has seizures every few months that don't seem to have any rhyme or reason to them. Nothing specific seems to bring them on. Vet said unless they come more often or last longer don't worry. She seems great right after. The folks at the shelter never mentioned this problem. We would have taken her anyway but it would have been good to know. My only thought is that they didn't know about it if she hadn't been there long. Just something to consider when choosing a shelter dog. I love her to death and am glad we adopted her but you never know what medical, behavioral or emotional issues your dog may have. If you go to a shelter be prepared to spend a little extra time with most of them. Just my 2 cents.

iza
04-12-2006, 10:23 AM
My parents have a bernese moutain dog. They're big dogs (80 pounds in our case), but generally calm and they don't bark AT ALL. I mean, really. My parents' dog barks about once a year and when she does, she looks all surprised, as if she can't believe it came from her. She's also unbelievably lazy, and gets tired pretty quickly (so walking her is not a burden). She's very affectionate and obedient, but not the sharpest tool in the shed, if you know what I mean (she understands basic commands, but teaching her tricks is out of the question). The only problem with these dogs are genetic diseases, but this is the case with all pure breed dogs nowadays, unfortunately.

rebecca
04-12-2006, 10:39 AM
I, too, have a mini dachshund and she's not yappy at all....very, very affectionate & smart....she is our 'empty nest' baby....spoiled rotten, just as our kids were when they were @ home (still are even tho they r not @ home ;) )
Sally (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/My%20Lonnie%20and%20Sally/IM000150.jpg) :inlove:

KNITBIT
04-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately I would suggest a lab and I realize that is not what you are looking for size-wise.

LOL Me 2!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, but they are a bit big. Mine aren't too huge. They're english labs....short legs, stocky, block heads. Although our yellow male Jack has the more blocky head. He's sooo relaxed it's pathetic. LOL! Very mellow. We throw the ball for him knowing he won't go after it (he used to when he was a puppy)...he just looks at it as if to think, "ya, so..you threw the ball..and? " :roflhard:

Our chocolate female Molly isn't as mellow, but not hyper. She'll retrieve until her tongues a mile long with exhaustion.

I can't believe they're 2 yrs. already. Just had bdays the last few months.

Medium dogs??? hmm.. :thinking: Beagles, Boston Terriers, Bassett Hounds, gotta love 'em! hehe! So cute!

Well, good luck!
KNITBIT

OTN: GAAA - 2nd square (Ann McCauley), socks

abby001
04-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Another vote for Labs. They are wonderful dogs. Mine's a mix from the pound--no idea what the mix is because she looks very Labby (her name's Abby-photo below). We got her as a puppy at the SPCA 16 years ago and while her health is declining I wouldn't be at all surprised to see her make it to 17. She only weighs about 40 pounds now; she topped out at 50 so was a great size. Our previous Lab mix, Meesha lived a nice long life too and was also a great dog. We got her from a young couple who lived in an apartment and she was just too big and busy for them.

I agree with others here that training makes a huge difference in whatever size dog you get. My parents had a male dachsund when I was at home. Not trained and a real booger. The people down the street have several beagles that are incredibly noisy but another neighbor has a beagle that's quiet as a post. I've also read that Labs need lots of exercise. Mine is a very happy couch potato. She enjoys her daily walk (I got her to encourage me to walk) but that's the extent of her exercise. Our German Shepherd/Samoyed mix (photo at left) is not one I'd recommend unless you'd like to use the fur for spinning yarn. She sheds massively and it doesn't seem confined to seasons. I think she was a puppy mill baby as she has several behavior issues--like eating ANYTHING when she takes it in her mind to. I've lost socks, shoes and yes some knitting :doh: --thankfully I wasn't very far into it. We got her from a friend just before she made the trip to the pound. The idea being that she'd be a pal for our Abby who spent her days alone as we worked all day. Well, I think if Abby could have talked she would have said, "Thanks, but no thanks."

I guess I'll just add a plea that you consider getting whatever breed you decide on from a shelter. I don't mean to offend any breeders out there but there are SO many dogs that die for lack of a home each year--not because they're bad dogs.

Carol_OH
04-12-2006, 12:34 PM
OM goodness, what a lot of great replies!!! Thanks so much everyone! I'm gonna re-read everything though I think the Lab contingent is pulling at my heart strings. I was looking at Petfinder last night and look who I found!

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6059452

samm
04-12-2006, 12:48 PM
She's beautiful!!! I was going to write to tell you about all our dogs but Alice might already have stolen your heart! And might already be in your home! I hope so. She's lovely and a perfect age to housetrain etc. She looks like she likes a good joke! I hope she is yours now. samm

abby001
04-12-2006, 01:27 PM
What a sweetheart! Lucky you! I think I'm on my last two dogs but plan to be a doggy grandma in future years--taking care of my sons' dogs. Best wishes on your new puppy. Give her a big hug and kiss from me :heart:

DragonTush
04-12-2006, 01:32 PM
I have a great dane...he weighs 175lbs......so my idea of a smallish dog is a bit skewed. I htink Golden retrievers are wonderful......boxers are a nice medium dog. A sheltie mix is nice, or a spaniel ....I would just go to the humane society and check out what they have or look online. I just love dogs so I can't just pick one :roflhard:

VictoiseC
04-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Oh boy here I am sitting look at pictures in Petfinder! oh no....
My Toisie cat just would NOT allow that right now (she's not been feeling well). Anyhoo, hope you find your baby... maybe you already have. I was going to suggest just going to shelters and the right one would take your heart, regardless of size. I live on the upper west side of Manhattan and you would not believe (I cannot believe it some days) the amount of dogs passing by.... it's truly amazing.

good luck!

kayeknit
04-12-2006, 02:35 PM
I know this is a small dog but I have had daschunds all of my life (weiner dogs) and they are not yappy at all! (okay, my mom's is but she also chases helicopters by running across the yard staring at the sky and likes to sleep w/ her head in a shoe...she's got problems)
They are very very loving, very cold natured, and very playful. They are smart and a joy to have around--maybe add them to your list to check out?

:roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:

And Carol, Alice looks wonderful!!! ;)

Carol_OH
04-12-2006, 03:15 PM
I will check out ALL the breeds that everyone has suggested. Alice is a beaut, and I will meeting her soon (I hope). And thanks for your suggestions about training - that's a must! All the cats we have have all come from shelters or off the streets, and I agree that that is the way to go.

I love hearing all your replies - you all really love your animules!

Carol_OH
04-12-2006, 03:27 PM
oh keep me away from PetFinder!

We had a dog named Snickers when I was a kid :heart:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5744862

HollyP
04-12-2006, 03:50 PM
oh keep me away from PetFinder!

We had a dog named Snickers when I was a kid :heart:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5744862
Do I see 2 new dogs in your future? :D
I grew up with a basset lab mix named Ricky. He was the funniest looking but still really cute dog. He had the Basset ears, body, and legs and the Lab face and tail. He was completely black with a white blaze on his chest. When I would walk him people would stop us and ask what it is he? I always said look at him and tell me. They always responded well he looks like a basset with a lab face. You really could tell just looking at him what he was. He had the best pesonality. He got the best of both breeds when it came to personality. I wish I had pictures of him to post but i don't have any on my computer.
I now have a pure Lab. When he was a puppy he was a handful but I really wouldn't trade him for anyhthing. He is my baby! Bentley Pictures (http://www.dogster.com/?153031)

Carol_OH
04-12-2006, 05:50 PM
ARE dogs better in pairs?

I'm gonna meet Alice tomorrow. Still no word if Snickers is available or not. I'll keep you all posted!

*loving all the dog photos*

Okay, a story about Snippy. See Snippy was our first family dog and she was MY dog. One day my mom made me go to a Girl Scout fancy dancy event (lunch downtown) which I DID NOT want to go to . When I got home, Snippy had been hit by a car and was dying :( I was a totally heartbroken 9 year old. Man oh man.

So when I see Snickers,
she's Snippy reincarnated!!

*sniff*

momwolf
04-12-2006, 08:56 PM
I have been training dogs since I was 16.There is nothing better then a pound dog.We have had Ali (lab retriever) 4 years and Zoey (Lab doberman) 3 years and they are both rescued dogs.Great with the grand kids.Obdience is a must!!!!!!!!!!!!I have trained for Trail obdience and Just so I have a dog who I can control.Nothing worse then a uncontrolable dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Zoey just loves my grandson Evan They kiss all the time. I think Zoey thinks she needs to take care of him. Damien and Ali are best buds. Ali is very loving also.I have taught her many tricks.Bang your dead-- say your prayers-- crawl - limps -- spin-- roll over-- whisper-- speak == she nods her head yes---and last but not least she moons people. Oh ya she goes and gets a bucket out of the shed if i tell her to .They both pull the boys around on sleds in the winter.In the summer its the wagon.So you see what training can do. My advise is rescue a dog !!!!!!!

dustinac
04-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Labs are great dogs too I really like Golden Retrivers as well.. they are so good with kids... I don't know why but I went to our local shelters website today :rollseyes: have a reallyyyyyy cute collie mix dog we rent so only allowed one dog and one inside cat so I don't know why I torture myself... but he is a cutie!! I was gonna post a photo of my daughter with her Shermee but didn't lol here it is now...

Those two are sooo cute lol its so hard to deciding!!

kitkat
04-13-2006, 07:04 AM
Oh that story was so sad!

Keep us posted _ I am sure you will find the perfect buddy. I cannot tell you what a joy my goofy Cooper is.

KellyK
04-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Small dogs tend to be too annoying? aren't they? Jumping all around and stuff.

We have ALWAYS had small dogs....none of them jump around. I mean...everyone here knows Howie. He is just a little lump of love! And, he is SO mellow!

I think you should just go to the shelter and see who (if anyone) you fall in love with. Good, consistent training will help you avoid any behavior you dont want and that focused time helps create a good bond and the right kind of relationship with a new dog.

Im SO excited for you, Carol!!

kemp
04-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Alice is so cute!

I can testify that smaller dogs are so sweet...we've always had larger, but when I stayed with KK, I really loved all her dogs and not one of them could be over 20 lbs???!!!

My 2 cents...mixes are wonderful since they don't have some of the inbred genetic problems that full blooded dogs have. One negative though is that it can be hard to predict their personality since it's usually difficult to know about the parents. Our mix Bodhi we got from a rescue is a sweetie pie, but definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed!

The more popular the dog (eg Lab, Golden Retriever, German Shepherd) the more genetic problems they could have. Don't get me wrong...there are some very good breeders that try to eliminate the possibility of these as much as they can, but the problem is puppy mills and backyard breeders have contaminated the gene pool. So I guess all I'm really saying is that if you are looking for a pedigree dog, make sure you go to a good breeder.

I also like to look at one of the big books of breeds when I'm making a decision...can be helpful even with mixes. Lets you know about shedding, digging, drooling, etc. so if you know what the mixed pup might be, it can give you an idea of some of their tendencies.

All that aside, go with your gut! There is no way I could've left that place without my little Bodhi :heart: :heart: ...no matter what I knew about him (they thought he was part St. Bernard <HUGE> but I still had to have him) and turns out...he probably isn't part SB at all.

Ok, now gratuitous puppy pictures:

samm
04-13-2006, 11:00 AM
We have had many rescue dogs over the years. At the moment we have an elderly chihuahua who grew to be about 20 pounds and looks like a shrunken chocolate Lab. He's now blind and diabetic and a little sweetie who still runs full tilt from the other end of the house when the treat jar opens and loves his new fleece blankie. Our next oldest is an Australian Shepherd who was a relentless girl when young, but obedience helped her become a truly lovely girlie. Aussies are high energy and I wouldn't recommend them unless you like a lot of exercise. They need to be kept busy but are ultra smart and loving and loyal. Sianidh sheds like crazy though, mostly spring and fall. She has serious epilepsy, cluster seizures, but is on a lot of meds to help. I don't know if she'll live a long time with this problem. Our little guy is three year old Angus, a shihtzu. Or mostly tzu. Nobody knows for certain as he was a stray. Our groomer thinks maybe there is a little bit of something else there, but he looks exactly like a tzu, body shape etc. He's the most special little guy we've ever had! And we've had lots of dogs and loved them all dearly. Tzus were bred to be companions and that they are. Angus is a cuddle bug but also very independent. We're going to look for another tzu when our two older dogs are gone. We're thrilled with this nonshedding breed. I ask him once a day at least why his owners weren't doing everything possible to find him! I couldn't ever stop looking for him if he got lost. Amazing how some people treat animals. samm who wishes you luck with Snickers and Alice!

kitkat
04-13-2006, 11:05 AM
THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!!! Alice is so cute!

kemp
04-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Me too! Alice seems like she'd be perfect. Any clue when she was supposed to see her?

Carol_OH
04-13-2006, 01:34 PM
My DH told me today he really doesn't want to get a dog! The other day he said "whatever you want"

I'm SO upset!!!

The people who have Snickers haven't gotten back to me yet.

Alice is at a friend's place (through my work with the stray cat rescue group, I met Bill and Gary who run a shelter a few towns away - they're involved with the World Wildlife FUnd too). Gary said that Alice is still available.

I was going to see Alice today - probably still will, but I have this husband issue!

Oh, and Kemp - your husky - Savannah (the dog we had to put down this fall, was part Husky
:heart:

kemp
04-13-2006, 01:52 PM
OH Carol! I'm so sorry to hear what DH said. Give him a few more days and maybe he'll come around???? It took a while to get my DH on board and now he can't believe he had any hesitation.

Momof4Greys
04-13-2006, 02:53 PM
I just started reading your Blog today. So sorry for your loss.

After my Maltese passed away for about a year and I became a SAHM I decided it was time for a pup in the house. I mentioned to DH that I wanted a Retired Greyhound since I had one in the past and they are the BEST PETS ever. He was dead set against any more Live Stock in the house as he put it. I worked on him for about a month until he finally agreed to let me fill out an adoption application. He had never seen or been around a greyhound in person before and he had all the wrong information about them. We went to meet with the adoption coordinator and that's the first time DH had been near a greyhound which was in July of 2004. To make a long story short.....

We are now owned by 4 Retired Greyhounds and couldn't be happier. :happydance:

kitkat
04-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Every retired greyhound that I have ever seen has been the nicest sweetest most gentle dog ever. They are just huge cuddlebugs. I am just not sure how they do with kitties. My poor kitty is already victimized by Cooper.

Momof4Greys
04-13-2006, 03:04 PM
I have a kitty also and all four of mine get along great with her. Most greyhound adoption groups have foster homes for the pups and will test them with small animals and cats so they work with you so that you'll find the perfect grey for you.

kemp
04-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Your greyhounds are beautiful! I've always wanted a one but we can't here...can only do invisible fence and that doesn't really work for those speedsters!

Jeep_Girl
04-13-2006, 05:52 PM
I have two retired racers and they get along great with my kitten and cat!!! The rescue organizations will tell you if they are good with small animals or not. I'm with Dina - these dogs are great!!

Good luck on whatever furbaby you choose!!!!