PDA

View Full Version : SOCKS/DISHCLOTHS..you really knit them????

nitwit_in_wales
04-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Just as an aside, do you americans really knit your own socks & dishclothes??? theres so many patterns on the web, all for knitting them. We dont bother in UK, they are so cheap to buy, it fasinates me that you must actually sit there knitting them :XX: lol.

Personally, I cant think of anything worse than wearing home-made socks and using a thick knitted cloth, or are we just lazy here?? :lol:

Its sunny in wales today :thumbsup:

Pam :XX:

Julie
04-22-2006, 09:53 AM
LOL, yes, we knit them -- but we don't knit them because it's cheaper....we knit them because we love to knit them. At least that's the way i feel about socks :D

(You could really say the same thing about any knitted item....it's waaaaay cheaper to buy a sweater, scarf, hat, or blanket too!)

rebecca
04-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Pam, I've chatted with SEVERAL people form the UK that knit socks & cloths of all kinds :D I knit them both because I love to knit & the most comfy thing to wear is a pair of handknit socks with luscious yarn ;)

knitqueen
04-22-2006, 10:15 AM
They're definitely cheaper to buy here, too!! I bought a pack of 3 pairs of socks for myself not too long ago, for about $6 and I also own pairs of handknit socks that cost at least $10 (per pair) to make if not more. It's just cause it's FUN!!!!! :XX:

knitqueen
04-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Now dishcloths......I can't understand that one either!

Hepsibah
04-22-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm from the UK and I knit socks. My mum's from the UK and she knits cotton facecloths. So ner! :lol:
My handknitted socks are lovely to wear, I wear them in preference to mass produced ones because they're softer and I don't get that elstic itch on my calves when I take them off.

Rennagayle
04-22-2006, 11:23 AM
I'll admit that when I first began knitting dishcloths, I didn't see the point of it other than for practicing various pattern stitches, as a new knitter. After I made them and used them, my thoughts changed on the issue, though. The cheap dishcloths I've used in the past from the local mega discount store get so thin and ratty in such a short time, whereas my homemade ones seem to last and last and last! :D

I have also crocheted dishcloths, and I actually prefer my crocheted ones to my knitted ones. They seem thicker.

I completed my first adult sock this week. I made some pretty obvious mistakes in it. It doesn't look horrible at all, but I don't want to give a gift that looks less than perfect, so I'll be keeping them when I get the mate made. I can hardly wait to wear them. I knitted them from sport weight Wool-Ease, and they are so thick and spongy and cushy feeling, nothing like any of my storebought socks. :heart: I can only imagine how much better a pair will feel out of higher quality yarn. It's a way we pamper ourselves, and have fun, I guess. ;)

Fudgie
04-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Hi, I'm from the UK and i am knitting my first pair of socks at the moment! I then plan to make a pair for my friend for her birthday, and maybe for my did too! My frien is also knitting a pair, and when she has finished those is going to make some for her friend's birthday, so english do knit socks! In fact my grandma used to knit loads of socks coz it was cheaperthan buying them, but that was then. But now it is cheaper to buy them from the shops and I think that applies everywhere.
As for dishcloths, they are meant to be one of the easy items, like scarves that a lot of people do as their first project before they get good. However I am planning on making one with a message on it for a friend/family member. They are just a fun thing to knit, however I agree that no one I know has made one so maybe it isn't such a common item to knit here.

Rennagayle
04-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Speaking of dishcloths, I made up a kitchen gift basket for my stepson's wife for Christmas this last year. I filled it with a hodgepodge of goodies, including a Rachel Ray cookbook (love her!), a pair of kitchen shears, a package of delectable mints, a couple of flour sack dish towels, and I knitted a half dozen simple dishcloths in blue, yellow, and variagated blue/yellow (her kitchen colors), and rolled them up and tucked them in the basket. I knew they'd be a functional, practical part of the gift, but they also added the splash of color which the basket needed; plus, the something 'handmade' which I always like to give! :D

Fudgie
04-22-2006, 11:57 AM
that's relly good!

EmilyKaye
04-22-2006, 12:22 PM
I know for me knitting dishcloths, rugs, coasters-those simple household items- it's more nostalgic than necessity. My grandmother and great grandmother knit, and my mom crochets, and I grew up with hand-made things...I even had a crocheted cabbage patch doll that looked just like me! It's just something that reminds me of home, and of them. It's also great to show off ;) My friend is having a baby, and I'm knitting her bibs and burp cloths. Not because i can't afford to go to Target and buy some, but because she will look at it and know that I made it for her child out of love.

Now socks...well, I just buy them. One day I'm going to make my DH some, but just because he has huge feet and can't find dress socks that he likes.

Jan in CA
04-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Now dishcloths......I can't understand that one either!

Don't knock it till you've tried it. :roflhard: :roflhard:

Seriously...I didn't get it either...till I tried them! They work well, you can throw them in the wash regularly and I love using something that I knit myself.

I used to use sponges, but they are so unsanitary and it drove me crazy thinking of the bacteria built up in them. Yes, I did microwave them and wedge them in the dishwasher, but that ruins them rather quickly. Regular kitchen dishcloths are so thin then seem useless to me.

As for socks... I am on my first pair. I like the fact that it is a small quick project and it's kinda fun watching it come together. I don't know if I'll ever knit a bunch for myself, but I do know people who swear by them regardless of the cost.

knitqueen
04-22-2006, 02:04 PM
I've tried it, and it just bores me. Honestly, the thought of making something straight and square doesn't excite me! ;)

Now speaking of how unsanitary sponges are, there's this great commercial on TV lately, don't know if any of you have seen it, and I can't even remember what it's for (I think some kind of disposable kitchen wipe type of thing) that says "you might as well be doing this" and shows a woman wiping down her counters and appliances using a raw chicken leg. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww :?eyebrow:

Jan in CA
04-22-2006, 02:06 PM
I've tried it, and it just bores me. Honestly, the thought of making something straight and square doesn't excite me! ;)

Now speaking of how unsanitary sponges are, there's this great commercial on TV lately, don't know if any of you have seen it, and I can't even remember what it's for (I think some kind of disposable kitchen wipe type of thing) that says "you might as well be doing this" and shows a woman wiping down her counters and appliances using a raw chicken leg. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww :?eyebrow:

I agree they aren't exciting to knit, but I like how they work. ;)

I've seen that commercial and ewwwww is right!! http://bestsmileys.com/sick/9.gif

MMK
04-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Socks, yes.
Dishcloths, no. Although I have 3 or 4 dishcloths I knit when I was first learning to knit. It gave me something to actually make while I was trying to figure out what a knit stitch really looks like. I wish I liked making them, because they are much better than any of my bought ones.

javede
04-23-2006, 07:16 AM
I live in germany, but I'm going to answer anyway ;)

When I began knitting I too couldn't understand why people would knit socks and even those multicolored socks :shock:
All I ever wore were black or white socks back then.
But within a year I tried out knitting my first sock, just out of curiosity and let me tell, it's fun to knit them! They are nice in between projects that are rather fast to finish and multicolored ones are the most fun!

..don't get dishcoths either though...

mulene
04-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Am also in the UK and starting my first ever sock right now. I've ordered some cashmere yarn which was ultra cheap and will be enough to make a pair of socks. I don't think I could afford enough to make a sweater but I have always wanted to own a cashmere item. For me, its going to be me wearing my home made cashmere socks; the pride I'm going to have at achieving making socks and the pride of wearing a luxury item that I likely couldn't afford were I to buy it ready made is a big buzz.

Dishcloths or face cloths I've not tried, but I can see the purpose of them and I can see that they are a good thing to knit when trying out new stitch types, and likely to make handy gifts for some 'special' types of colleages ;) The really nice colleagues will get nice things like socks or bags ;)

bjc1050
04-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Dishcloths I knit give me practice with reading pattern instructions and different techniques . In fact one of the dishcloth pattern booklets I have is called Sampler Dishcloths to Knit.

I haven't tried socks yet, but hope to. My daughter likes unusual socks while I tend to prefer plain old black or blue or grey so I'll probably try knitting them for her.

nicolethegeek
04-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Ever since I crocheted my first dishcloth, and actually used it, I was a convert! I didn't knit at that time, but knitting dishcloths is one of my favourite "brainless" project. It may cost a bit more {I use HUGE balls of cheap cotton yarn}, but they last so much longer than the thin store bought ones. I find that they scrub my dishes better {no dishwasher here except for what I'm typing with}, and are practically indestructible! The only time I've ever worn one out was when I was doing a ton of wall scrubbing, and that was an old one.

Socks puzzled me at first, and even the cheap sock yarns gave me a bit of sticker shock {$6 a pair}. After making several pairs, I'm completely won over. I have only completed one pair for myself so far, and haven't worn them yet since I still have a few ends to weave in. My kids and DH love their socks, and I love making them. I think it's cool that they all have one-of-a-kind socks that noone else has! It's only been a few months since I finished my first pair, so I can't attest to how well they wear, but I know they are well-loved!

Pixywhispers
04-24-2006, 08:16 PM
In my circle being able to make a sock is a status symbol. And to my non knitting friends, raises your status to that of a Goddess.

I would love to knit some more because its so nice to have something so personal that someone may use once a week or month for years. Our world is such a McDonald's Happy Meal throw away the toy world that I think these things mean something deeper to us then they would to someone who doesnt live in such a disposable society. (I'm not saying you all dont appreciate these things as well. Its just that we look at them a little differently.) :) heh, cut me some slack I'm having a hard time clarifying that thought. Any other Americans understand what I'm trying to say?

edited to clarify a thought. And later for spelling.

RachelJean
04-25-2006, 01:57 PM
What I really like about knitting socks is that they are fairly quick to knit and I can try out all different kinds of yarns. Yes, it's cheaper to buy store bought socks, but not half as much fun! I also agree that it's nice to have things that are made by hand. I have only made socks for myself so far, but I plan on making some for gifts in the near future.

I haven't tried dishcloths yet, but after reading this thread, I think I know what to do with all that yarn I have leftover from other projects. :lol:

nicolethegeek
04-25-2006, 02:21 PM
In my circle being able to make a sock is a status symbol. And to my non knitting friends, raises your status to that of a Goddess.
What I find amusing about this is that at my last SnB, there was about 10 of us there. At least 6 or 7 were knitting socks, and I had my "go-everywhere" sock with me, but I was teaching someone else how to knit a hat in the round! :lol:

Ellen Edwards
04-30-2006, 11:03 PM
I've knitted dishclothes just to get a certain pattern down--for the experience!! But my friends love to get them, you can wash 'em and they're indestructable.

Socks--are FUN to knit, and my DIL loves wearing them, and so do I. Yep--I think the yarn is too expensive--but hey! it's a status symbol--and you know how expensive Nikes are!! :roflhard:

newamy
04-30-2006, 11:50 PM
As a new knitter I've had lots of fun knitting dish cloths. My mom will be getting a set for Mother's day. I can actually use my mistakes-- and early on thre were plenty. I can practice different patterns and stitch combinations. And they are better than store bought.
I haven't learned to do socks yet... but I think the cost is not really the point.

sfavereau
05-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Cost isn't the point. Socks are so much fun to make, and I love wearing hand knit socks. They are comfortable, warm and soft, not to mention that you can custom make them to your specific foot measurements!

Dishcloths are fun to make to try out a new stitch, but I've only made two of them and gave one to my dog.

kemp
05-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Cost isn't the point. Socks are so much fun to make, and I love wearing hand knit socks. They are comfortable, warm and soft, not to mention that you can custom make them to your specific foot measurements!

Dishcloths are fun to make to try out a new stitch, but I've only made two of them and gave one to my dog.Amen. And they're also very portable! Easier than carrying around a sweater you are knitting.

Rennagayle
05-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Dishcloths are fun to make to try out a new stitch, but I've only made two of them and gave one to my dog.

Okay, am I the only one who that struck as funny? Stephanie, does your dog also do other household chores, besides the dishes? :rofling:

rebecca
05-07-2006, 02:06 PM

Okay, am I the only one who that struck as funny? Stephanie, does your dog also do other household chores, besides the dishes? :rofling:

:roflhard: :rofling: I must say, Sally doesn't do any chores ;)

nicolethegeek
05-07-2006, 08:48 PM
My usual problem is trying to keep Alex and Lissa from helping me with the chores. They INSIST on doing their share... problem is that doing their share usually increases mine! :rollseyes: :roflhard:

WynnieG
05-08-2006, 09:35 AM
My two knuts worth... ;)

I started knitting socks out of necessity! I love winter sports, and for years I was a fan of a certain brand of sock available in northern New England. It was thick, warm, yet wasn't so thick I couldn't get my winter boots on. Several years back, they stopped being made. I was, shall we say, a bit peeved.

I tried other brands. These had more elastic in them, and caused lovely welts to spring up on my feet & legs (latex allergy). Frustrated, I turned to my local yarn store. Within five minutes' discussion I had yarn in hand that would help me reproduce the original socks I loved so much.

And you know, they've lasted three times as long as that storebought pair did?

I also knit my own mittens for this reason. I no longer believe in the myth of Thinsulate. My hands are much warmer in handmade wool mittens than in anything I could get at the store. When I use leftover wool from larger knitting projects, I save money, too.

As for the dishcloths... I've never been sure if they were meant to be used to wash dishes, as a scrubber, or merely to dry them, like a tea towel? Can anyone clarify this? I made a pair for a friend and she used them for placemats. :shock:

nicolethegeek
05-08-2006, 10:28 AM
As for the dishcloths... I've never been sure if they were meant to be used to wash dishes, as a scrubber, or merely to dry them, like a tea towel? Can anyone clarify this? I made a pair for a friend and she used them for placemats. :shock:
I use mine for washing dishes all the time. I have scrubbies that I have crocheted using either nylon plastic canvas yarn, or Phentex, that I use for scrubbing dishes, as well as cleaning my acrylic shower stall. I have crocheted dishtowels out of cotton yarn, but didn't make too many because they took me quite a while relatively, and I don't really use towels that much for drying dishes, just my hands.

Jan in CA
05-08-2006, 01:22 PM
My two knuts worth... ;)

I use them for dishes and cleaning counters and the table.

newamy
05-10-2006, 03:20 PM
The dishcloths make wonderful dishcloths- but people usually react with "Oh that's too nice to use to wash dishes with!" The colors also fade and they shrink a bit. But they do hold up a long time!

knitasha
05-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Maybe it's misplaced pride, but I hate the idea of scrubbing greasy dishes with something I've lovingly and painstakingly knitted. (Then again, I hate the idea of scrubbing greasy dishes, period.)

I do enjoy knitting sizeable swatches from cotton and linen yarns and calling them face cloths. It's a great way to practice new stitches and test new yarns. Even a plain old garter stitch gauge swatch makes a serviceable wash cloth, but textured stitches are fantastic for getting your skin really clean, and they look very elegant in the bathroom. Linen gives your face an especially good workout. Next thing I want to try is hemp.

I agree with those who shudder at all the buggy stuff lurking in damp sponges. Better choice: a brush with plastic bristles that cleans well, rinses easily and dries fast.

saraharog
06-12-2006, 02:40 PM
I agree with whom ever said crocheted over knit washcloths, but either way they are way better than the store bought kind. My m-i-l crochets so I dont have to bother with knitting them, but you can get cute patterns in knitting that you can't in crocheting.

On the socks, I'm about to make my first pair and I've heard that knitted socks are way more comfy and durable than store bought, although store bought is WAY cheaper. You also can't necessarily get that specialized look out of boring old store bought, I kind of like the idea of wearing a small something that I've made and I can get all crazy with the pattern if I want :D.

Love to knit, thanks Gran for teaching me :D. :XX: