PDA

View Full Version : newbie knitter in deep depression

Ashley_1256
04-24-2006, 03:31 AM
Hey guys. I started knitting a few months ago and actually finished a couple of garter stitch scarfs with a really funky furry yarn (so they didn't look as boring as a simple garter stitch scarf in thick plain yarn). I can perform the simple stitches like garter and purl.
Any way the problem is...... that I have tried to start several other projects (socks, afgan.... any thing but a scarf :rollseyes: ) but i keep getting depressed with a project and ripping it completly out. I would like to try something harder than a scarf. I am soooooooo sick of scarves a this point I could die. :wall:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a quick rewarding project than is fitting for a beginner. I really need inspiration I have even thought about putting up my knitting needles and trying out crochet :oops: I really like knitting it helps me relax and it is great to have something that you actually made but I am in a very deep dark lonely scarf rut. Please help.

Thanks I know I can count on you guys. :help:

Fudgie
04-24-2006, 03:54 AM
Well, you can find a pattern for a bag, I have made a very simple one (had to buy the pattern for it). The pattern had a bolero and several bags on it, they are al reallly simple and are made out of a nice wool, wendy melody. I can tell you the name of the pattern if you are interested.
The pattern was simple though, a garter stitch strap and a stocking stich body, you then lined itetc. Oh and you can add on a button and for that you make a little flap to sew on to do the button up, to make the button hole you have to cast off stitches and then cast them on again, it is really easy to do and that is as complicated as it gets. What do you think?

Ashley_1256
04-24-2006, 04:22 AM
please check the next post because I suck I answered you then posted ir rather than replyed it :oops: :oops: :oops:

Should I hand over my knitting needles now???????

secretstasher
04-24-2006, 05:21 AM
Hell no dont give up honey. I have knitted several things and only know how to knit and purl.
scarves can be boring hon. how about knitting squares up to make a pet blanket. if you know how to knit two together then you could make triangles.
try a handbag knit a rectangle and a strap. or you can buy handles from shops.
how about putting in the words "free simple knitting pattern online" into a search engine.
I knit and crochet I go through phases of mad knitting then mad crocheting.
dont give up I am sure others will agree. you are new to knitting and it took me a while to love knitting as it seemed not to grow as quick but you can make some lovely things with just knitting and purling.
pm me if you want some links not sure how to link to here and what is allowed. all my love Sian xxxxxxxxxx

Deeknit
04-24-2006, 06:09 AM
Hey, I would tell you to get some scrap yarn and start a swatch and then pratice the stitches here on Amy's site.

I've been doing that and practicing increasing, etc and it has really helped my confidence tremendously. I didn't make any thing for a while, I just practiced stitches.

I would read a pattern, and then go and find the video on Amy's site to do the increase or decrease they described and practiced those stitches. Lately, I've been practicing fixing mistakes.

I also took a beginning sock class at my local yarn store and that really has opened up a lot of what I have confidence to do.

One of the best things you can do is find a local yarn store to become friends with. They will be very helpful and sit down with you and show you lots.

Deeknit

Fudgie
04-24-2006, 06:23 AM
Or find a friend that can knit and get them to help you. My friend and I are always helping each other with problems, sharing patterns etc. And if i can't ask her I ask my grandma! ;) She is a great knitter and can do everything I will ever want to learn so I'm alright! I'm also a member of a knitting club at school! :XX: :thumbsup: :happydance:

Quietheart
04-24-2006, 07:28 AM
Don't give up!
I had the same problem and frogged everything for the longest time!
Stop ripping stuff out! Finish it, and each project you will see get better and better :)
Hit the dishcloths/facecloths would be my suggestion.
Small, quick, great practice and if you don't use them, they make great gifts in a basket, with some soap etc. Or stitch'em up together for a little blanket, or something to cover a couch back or chair back. Lots of things you can do with them.
You can practice all kinds of stitchs, or just do something simple and really feel like you've accomplished something.
I repeat, don't give up, it just gets bettah!

Kath

mulene
04-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Definately do not give up! I would suggest trying something quite straightforward and simple, such as a hat. The only difficult time on making a hat is moving over to DPN's when the hat gets too small to continue on circular needles.

Amy's videos are brilliant and she shows you how to knit on circulars and how to use DPN's.

A good place to start looking for simple hat patterns for beginners is Head Huggers (http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/patterns.htm) - I just completed one from there last week which was very simple. All you need to know is how to knit, how to purl and how to decrease. You can watch Amy's video's for how to use circular needles and how to use DPN's for finishing. Pick one of the beginner quality items from head huggers, the one I did was this (http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt06.htm) one. It turned out to be rather big (I'd used too long a cable on my circular) and I'd dropped a stitch, but it was a great hat to practice stitches on and shaping.[/img]

Eiline
04-24-2006, 01:00 PM
I think lots go through the same thing. I did hats after scarves.. I practiced doing them on straight needles first and learned a lot about how it all comes together through that. It also helps to try different yarn. It is amazing the difference yarn makes from project to project.
This is the hat I tried first
http://www.frugalhaus.com/scripts/beghat.asp
I hope that link works. I am horrible at those things.

Anyway to sum it up.
1. Don't give up.
2. Don't give up.
3. Keep knitting!

*hugs!! hang in there.
Nell

susi
04-24-2006, 01:19 PM
what about this

Tiny Cables Washcloth
Designer: Nanette Blanchard - nanetteb@compuserve.com
Rating: Easy - Medium

Materials: 1 ball of cotton yarn, Size 8 US needles

Cast on a multiple of 5 stitches. (I used 40)
Row 1: * K1, P1, K2, P1* repeat from * (right side)
Row 2: * K1, P2, K1, P1* repeat from *
Row 3: * K1, P1, Knit in back of 2nd stitch on left hand needle, knit the first stitch on needle, take off both stitches, P1, repeat from *.
Row 4: Same as Row 2.

Repeat this 4 row pattern until washcloth is desired length. Bind off, weave ends.

i'm a beginer as well, i have learnt garter and pearl stitch as well. i actually adapded this to make a bobble hat for my 3 year old that looks fab, he loves it.

but really don't give up just try a different pattern until you find ones that you like

susi

nicolethegeek
04-24-2006, 01:55 PM
I did up a simple baby sweater that was simply garter stitch rectangles sewn together. I got the pattern out of a magazine, but I'm certain that you could find something online. If you don't have a baby to give it to, hospitals and other children's charities are always grateful to receive things like that.

feministmama
04-24-2006, 03:04 PM
How about something cute like the baby gnome?

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106169&highlight=gnome#106169

Ashley_1256
04-24-2006, 05:57 PM
who would have ever guessed that I would get so many great and inspirational reply from so far down in my scarf pit. :lol: Ya'll guys are great really. I'm trying to decide on either a bag or a hat. I also got offline last night and started a afgan. :shock: lol

I'm sure if I need help I can ask ya'll thank you so much :notworthy:
Hugs and kisses and praises lol
Ashley

AnreeAce
04-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Ashley, I'm glad you got the encouragement you needed!

Stick with it, it's gets more and more rewarding the further in you go!

The people on this forum are so generous and encouraging. I swear, most of the questions I've ever thought up have been answered before, but nobody seems to mind taking a newbie by the hand and leading them through one more time.

Keep Knitting! :XX: :XX: :XX:

spooky
04-26-2006, 09:41 AM
You should check out your local art store (like Michaels, A.C. Moore, Hobby Lobby) and check their class board to see if there are going to be any knitting classes sometime soon and sign up for one. Usually the teachers are so nice that they will give you their phone numbers or e-mail addresses if you need extra help. That is what I did when I was just starting out. It helped me out alot. I learned how to do more than I thought I would. Also the SNB book has helped me out alot, too. And of course this site has TOTALY helped me out on a ton of things. It can get frustrating and somedays you will throw your needles across the room, but we all do that. Just hang in there. Maybe take a break from knitting for a week or two to clear your head. Come back to it when you don't feel like hanging yourself with yarn. It gets better with practice.

KnittingStardust
04-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Good luck, Ashley!! If there is one thing I have gotten from of all of these great people here, it is that anyone can knit - just don't give up. If you're not enjoying it, it just means that your project may not be the right one for you. And just because it isn't now doesn't mean it won't be ever :)
Keep at it!

roxyquiksilver34
04-29-2006, 12:18 AM
Miss Ashley~

Have faith sister. I'm a born-again knitter who usually only knits square things...(this post (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=304#304) was from my first day of joining KH) :lol:

And I just had a case of knitting malaise recently- read here (http://meowycakes34.blogspot.com/2006/04/big-girl-knits-and-whens-my-free-yarn.html) if you like --- and being surrounded by such wonderful knitters and crocheters, I have renewed my faith in fiber. You can too!

*big hugs*

Just to make you feel better too - ther's NOTHING wrong with garter stitch Fun Fur scarves. I firmly believe you can never have too many ;)

xo
Anne/roxy

Ashley_1256
04-30-2006, 02:56 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: OMG Roxy I just read your blog and layghed and laughed and laughed. It's great to know that someone has MAJOR knitting problems like myself. I saved your blog to my favorite list (I hope you don't mind) and will continue to keep tabs on your knitting progess.

I have finals next week for college then I will be blissfully free!!!! :happydance: Wish me loads of luck Anyway after being released from the hell hole they call school I will hopefully have the time to get down to business and start yarn/needled hunting and actually get to knitting.

I am going to try the 'square' knitting you are so fond of. Think booga bag. I'm sure that I will be baack on here with tons more questions on that bag but hey I'm a younger generation trying to keep the art of knitting alive right. (This helps me feel better about my knitting woes.)

Anyway good like on your big girl knits book and your right Jimmie Johnson should NOT have won that race. LOL

Well I wish you luck, time, health and discount prices on all your knitting adventures.

Thanks again Ashley