PDA

View Full Version : Balaclava Helmet

doyvicios
04-25-2006, 06:46 PM
HI everyone,

I'm new to knitting and a very good friend of mine saw a movie called "Welcome to Collinwood." In the movie one of the characters wheres a Balacalva Helmet. This helmet was given to WWII fighters. I found a pattern for it, but since I am an unexperienced knitter and the pattern is from the 1940's, I'm hoping that someone with much more knowledge than myself can help me "Break it down." I have attached a link below to the picture and pattern. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/13016-popup.html

Thank you to anyone that can help[/url]

IrishBaby
04-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Here's the beginning part:

THE FRONT FLAP
Begin at the lower edge. Cast on 30 sts. using No. 10 needles and work in garter-st., inc. 1 st. at both ends of every row until there are 50 sts. on the needle.
Continue without inc. until the work measures 6 inches from the beginning.

And here's my easier translation:

Cast on 30 stitches on size 10 needles. Knit every row. At the end of each row, increase one stitch. Keeping knitting and increasing until you have 50 stitches on your needle. Continue knitting without doing any more increases until the piece measures six inches long.

Hope that helps! If you need more help after working this piece, let us know!

doyvicios
04-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Now what if I don't want to include the ear flap?

IrishBaby
04-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Here's the next part:

The orginial:
Next row - Cast on 8 sts., k. to end. Leave this work for the present and work the back flap in the same way. Now place the sts. of the back and front on to three No. 11 needles, then with the fourth needle work in k.2, p.2 rib until the work measures 9.5 inches from the beginning.

Easier to understand:
Cast on 8 stitches at the beginning of the next row (Use the basic techniques button at the top of this site and use either the cable cast on or the backwards loop cast on). Cut yarn and work the front flap in the same way as the back flap, following the same pattern. Then put both the front and back flap on three double pointed needles and knit in the round, knitting two and purling two until the pieces measure 9.5 inches from the beginning. Knitting in the round in this way will join the front and back flap.

doyvicios
11-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Thank you for the help. I actually finished this months ago but the yarn that i used was too thick. I have to remake it with a thinner yarn...maybe sock or something.