PDA

View Full Version : Smelly Wool

Claire06
04-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help me,

I just got given a large box of baby wool, but it all smells a bit old and musty. :(

Any ideas how to get rid of the smell? I've currently got it sitting in front of the dehumidifier, but it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference. :thinking:

I really want to use the wool!

Many thanks

Claire

Claire06
04-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Oops I meant to say I don't know the composition of the yarn - no bands around the balls.

gardenmommy
04-27-2006, 12:12 AM
Maybe a very gentle rinse in the bathtub without agitating it (wool just hates to be annoyed, you know. ;) ) and then hanging it on a clothesline or laying it on a clean sheet on the ground on a nice sunny day would help. I recently bought some yarn off eBay that I was disappointed to find smelled like cigarette smoke, so I hung it out on the clothesline and it smelled much better after that.

I'd definitely check it for any mold or mildew though, I think then it would be a lost cause as only bleach can get that out, and I don't think that would be good for the wool, especially if it is colored.

IrishBaby
04-27-2006, 06:16 AM
The sun is a great idea. Is the yarn in balls or in hanks/skeins? If it's in balls and you'd really like to use it, I would consider hanking it. It will be easier to wash.

You can spritz it with a little water that contains a few drops of lavender, eucalyptus, cedar, or tea tree oil, and then put it out in the sun for a day or two. If it's already in hanks, I would wash it with a wool wash and put it outside to dry.