PDA

View Full Version : I found a great pattern book for advanced beginners!

bethie
05-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Title of book: Funky Chunky Knitted Accessories

The book I have been looking for all my life!
This book is the best! I am an advanced beginner, meaning I can cast on, knit, purl, and bind off with ease. I am learning how to increase and decrease and it is not that hard. This book rocks because it is designed for advanced beginners meaning you want to something besides just knit a scarf but aren't ready to tackle scary sweaters yet.

This book presents 6 basic patterns for (1) a hat, (2) a scarf, (3) a bag, (4) a caplet, (5) mittens and you don't have to knit them on circular or DPNS! amazing, and (6) I forget. It presents the basic patter and the has full illustrations and directions for variations.

Also lots of tips for adding your own embellishments like edging or embroidery and other things. I LOVE this book and can't wait to get started on it. I can easily see myself making several projects for Christmas gifts.

If you can find it get it! It is a bit expensive, but I had a 30% off coupon to use at Borders Bookstore so it bumped it down to about $18

05-01-2006, 12:35 PM
May I also add a good book??? Its called Mason*Dixon Knitting. By Kay Gardiner & Ann Shayne. It is such a great book too. I highly recommend it. :D

brendajos
05-01-2006, 01:37 PM
okay so i started reading this thread because i did a search on the Mason Dixon book...i thought that was what this thread was about :rollseyes: I was reading along and thought that their hat and mitten patterns were being done flat and was very sad cuz i don't wanna do flat hats that i have to seam up afterwards! (i am toooooooo lazy for that!) ....well then i get to the second post and see that is just an added post...lol. i am so relieved!

My LYS is having a book signing with the authors of Mason Dixon this weekend and I am trying to decide if i wanna go and get one...i have to get ready for a banquet that day....but i am a pretty simple girl and i think i can do that pretty quickly...lol :rofling:

Lisa Kay
05-01-2006, 01:56 PM
While I was at BarnesandNoble.com looking up Funky Chunky Knitted Accessories, I found another one I want to take a look at next time I'm in the store.

It's called Two-Stitch Knits: The Quick and Easy Way to Make 30 Fast, Fun Projects. (Pub. date March 2006) It claims that the knit stitch and purl stitch are all you need to know to create the projects in the book. Looks like it might be another good one for us advanced beginners!

KnittingStardust
05-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the tips!! :heart:

Celine
05-01-2006, 06:19 PM
I recently bought the Two Stitch Knits book. It's put out by the Reader's Digest. It's a nice big book and has some pretty things in it.

I also have the Mason Dixon book. That book is FUN to read!! I'm not into knitting dish cloths but if I were I would knit up the ones they show in the book...so pretty.

I'll have to keep my eyes open :shock: for the third book mentioned above. I do love my knitting books. :heart:

nicolethegeek
05-01-2006, 06:26 PM
I'll have to check those out at my next knitting meeting on Wednesday... I usually have some book follow me home from there! ;)