PDA

View Full Version : Question about purses/bags

Jackie M.
05-01-2006, 06:30 PM
When you knit a purse or bag, does anyone line theirs inside or leave it plain without a liner? Seems like it wouldn't be safe to leave it unlined. If you do line it, what with?

Jackie M.

nicolethegeek
05-01-2006, 06:35 PM
The bags I've made were either crocheted with cotton or knitted and felted. I haven't lined anything I've made.... yet!

Danielle
05-01-2006, 06:38 PM
I don't line my felted bags, but I did line one that wasn't felted. I just bought some of the cheapo fabric at wal-mart, and sewed the liner together on the machine, and then hand stitched it into the purse...(it looks alright I guess...I'm a crappy seamstress! :oops: )

VictoiseC
05-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Funny you asked this coz I'm just about to try lining my first bag.
I've made some others that didn't need it as they were either tightly knit out of bulky yarn or an open string bag I did. But this one I want more dressy and it's also a loose cotton so I'm going to try it and with
Walmart fabric! Hope I can do it alright......

Skater
05-01-2006, 07:02 PM
:waving: Here are instructions (http://www.helloknitty.com/pdfs/Lining.pdf) I have bookmarked for adding a lining. Hope they help

carollovesyarn
05-01-2006, 08:26 PM
I've been lining mine. I went out and bought coordinating fabric special for one from my LQS (local quilt shop), for a couple others I just happened to have FQ (fat quarters) from said shop already - all cotton of course. I do have some shiny rayon-type fabric that's screaming 'make me into purse lining', so I probably will. I also have some batik that I'd like to try using as lining in something that is holey or lacey, since batik looks good from both sides.

VictoiseC
05-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Skater! Wow, that's just what I needed! It's great, the pictures will help me so much. thank you thank you ! I was just reading a how-to somewhere else and it had no pix and I know it's relatively easy but I want to do it right.

That's a nice idea about batik Carol. I love batik. I'm also looking at dresses/skirts I bought a few years ago and never really liked much.... cut them up. FQ huh? like that

knitwit2
05-02-2006, 01:09 PM
I line all my bags. The lining just makes the purse look so much more professional. I use the Home Decor at Jo-ann Fabrics. They have so many bright colors. I also put a plastic bottom in it so it has a sturdier bottom. I put a pocket for my cell, and other various pockets. Here is a liner I just put in a bag.

Skater
05-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Nifty bag, knitwit1! Pockets? I like pockets. What do you mean you put plastic on the bottom? It looks like the fabric. Do you use clear plastic? What kind - where can you get it, etc.:?:

carollovesyarn
05-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Cindy! That fabric is perfect! I love putting in pockets too.

Skater - I got my plastic from Ben Franklins Craft store. It's called 'needlepoint plastic canvas' and looks like a white plastic screen. Probably any large craft type store should have it. I think mine is about 8.5" by 11"? It was inexpensive because the store was going out of business - now I wish I had bought a box or something.

For bags, you put the screen in first and tack it down by sewing it at the corners if you want. Then you line the purse.

editted to add
Victoise - I have those same skirts. They're hanging out waiting for me to cut them up for something! Also, FQ are nice because you get a piece of fabric that's 18X22 instead of a quarter yard at 9X44. And they can be just kind of fun to collect for the future. :)

nicolethegeek
05-02-2006, 03:11 PM
WM and Mike's should have it in the needlepoint section. It's commonly called plastic canvas, and it comes in various "thread" counts. 7 mesh is the most common, and you can often find it in solid colours as well as super soft and super stiff versions. I know that Mary Maxim and Herrschnerrs sell it too.

Angelia
05-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Nicole and Skater, you've saved me!! I've been wondering how to line a bag and what to use and where to get it. Yippee! :cheering:

mintdee
05-02-2006, 05:36 PM
OMG I love that bag!!! :inlove: Is it very hard to add pockets? I am working on a bag now that i would love to have pockets in it.

nicolethegeek
05-02-2006, 06:37 PM
YES!!! please post instructions!!! I have a trip to a quilting store in the works... they have yarn fabric! I want to make myself a tote, and pockets would be wonderful!

Angelia
05-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Ooh, same here! Love pocketses!

brendajos
05-02-2006, 06:45 PM
:thinking: yarrrrrrrrrrn fabric? what is yarn fabric?

I am making a little purse and bought the most gorgeous brocade this weekend to line it with. It is one of my favorite parts of knitting bags...finding the liner! yeah i really don't like DOING the lining...just buying it! :rofling:

nicolethegeek
05-02-2006, 07:37 PM
:thinking: yarrrrrrrrrrn fabric? what is yarn fabric?
Just like I said! Yarn fabric! :roflhard: It's got balls of yarn printed all over it! :heart: :inlove: :heart: :inlove: At my last SnB, the girl sitting next to me had a knitting tote made from it. My eyes went as wide as baseballs, and once I could breathe again, I begged her to tell me where she bought it. They sell it at her work {she works in a quilting shop}, comes in blue and black and is about $18{CAD} a metre. I replied bluntly, does it really matter how much it is? It's got YARN on it!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: She thought I just might want to know! At that price, it means that I wouldn't be redecorating my craft room with it, but I certainly can afford a metre or three to make a tote and/or liner with it!!! :happydance:

brendajos
05-02-2006, 09:41 PM
oooooh i thought it was some fabric that was made of yarn...well nevah mind then! ;)

nicolethegeek
05-03-2006, 01:27 AM
oooooh i thought it was some fabric that was made of yarn...well nevah mind then! ;)
*sigh* and here I thought it was so cool! :rollseyes:

brendajos
05-03-2006, 01:55 AM
awww you were way cool BEFORE i thought you had discovered some cool fabric made of yarn! ;)

knitwit2
05-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Sorry, I didn't get back to you Skater. I use the plastic canvas like everyone else but I make a pocket with the liner to slip the plastic canvas in and then sew all the sides onto the bottom. I hope this makes sense.

Jackie M.
05-03-2006, 10:48 AM
:waving: Here are instructions (http://www.helloknitty.com/pdfs/Lining.pdf) I have bookmarked for adding a lining. Hope they help

Thanks Skater! This is a big help.

Jackie M.
05-03-2006, 10:51 AM
I line all my bags. The lining just makes the purse look so much more professional. I use the Home Decor at Jo-ann Fabrics. They have so many bright colors. I also put a plastic bottom in it so it has a sturdier bottom. I put a pocket for my cell, and other various pockets. Here is a liner I just put in a bag.

I love that bag! I might have trouble though because I can't sew, and to put pockets in seem difficult, but I might try anyway. What fabric did you knit with? Was it a blend or cotton?

knitwit2
05-03-2006, 11:02 AM
The bag was knitted with 100% wool yarn and then felted in the washing machine. It took me a long time to figure out a good way to put in pockets. Now I just sew the pockets in the sides of the liners when I connect the sides to the bottom so the pockets reach to the bottom of the bag. It is so hard to explain so I sure hope it makes sense. :rollseyes:

Celine
05-03-2006, 02:16 PM
I line my bags. I'm also make Quilts so I have a big stash of fabrics from which to choose from. Almost as much fun as having a big stash of yarn....but I'm working on it!

Jackie M.
05-03-2006, 08:43 PM
I've never used 100% wool yarn but I notice it's used a lot for felting. How do you clean the items when they are dirty?

nicolethegeek
05-04-2006, 11:53 AM
I've never used 100% wool yarn but I notice it's used a lot for felting. How do you clean the items when they are dirty?
I just washed it! I had a cup of coffee spilt on my Booger shortly after I finished it. I washed it in the zippered pillowcover I use for felting, in warm water, since I wanted it to felt a bit more anyway. I would have used cold water if I didn't want it to felt at all. Afte rI washed it, I took it out of the pillowcover, and reblocked it.

VictoiseC
05-08-2006, 12:51 PM
I did it! But now, um, I see this absolutely GORGEOUS perfect bag....
Cindy, that is just so beautifully done. :rollseyes: Well, here's my little bag. It's my first ever at doing a lining job. I didn't even know how to sew it in, and some instructions said use a reverse slip stitch ? which I tried but it was gapping in places so I just did what I wanted, which I think is
a slip stitch I don't know... but it worked and I got it in nice and tight.

I think I might have made it a wee bit too long though coz it's just a little bunchy but the cotton will probably stretch anyhow.

This is a 'prototype' that I might make more of to sell this summer.
Seed stitch alternated with garter... just got to sew the strap on.

I love the idea of the bottom support! I've seen those around, what a great idea. Hope I can graduate to pockets soon. Bags are really neat to make aren't they!!!!

carollovesyarn
05-08-2006, 01:06 PM
That's a great summer-y bag Victoise! I think your lining looks great - good fabric choice! I had the same experience with too much fabric - I think it just takes experince to figure out how long to make the lining. I don't know about stretching because my bag also has the plastic reinforcement. :doh:

Pockets aren't that hard. Cindy has the right idea to sew them in when sewing up the sides. My last bag I had particular fabric picked out and I only had enough to do a 'traditional' pocket. But it turned out just fine. I put a pocket on each side & even made narrow channels in one for pens. If you iron the hem of the pocket before sewing it makes it a lot easier when sewing it in - if you do a regular pocket.

Carol

Angelia
05-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Oh Vic, that is just gorgeous! :inlove: :inlove: I love the lining, too--it goes perfectly with the bag!

I'm inspired now to knit a bag that isn't felted and try out a lining! My mom brought me my grandmother's old sewing machine a week or so ago (mine was possessed), so I can finally sew again!! :happydance:

Jackie M.
05-08-2006, 05:51 PM
I would LOVE to be able to make a bag with lining like that Vic! That is so cute. I don't think I'm afriad of making the bag, but I want it lined and the lining is what I'm afraid of. I think the site skater posted though will help, when I'm ready to try.

VictoiseC
05-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys! (girls) Yeah I'm pleased! To think of all the money I spent on handbags over the years, I could've been making my own....

I love brown and white beige and white in summer so that fabric was a nice choice. I'm definitely going to try pockets next because of your suggestions/help. cheers! l :thumbsup: