PDA

View Full Version : Turned my first heel---

Louine
05-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Oh, I am so excited, I just turned my first heel and created my first gusset last night.....it was so much fun and so much easier than I expected. I watched Amy's bonus CD on making a childs sock (starting and stoping as I got to each stage of the sock) , used an easy to follow (and flexible) Ann Norling pattern and had no other help. My LYS told me when I bought the yarn that I might need to come to sock class ($10 a class).....not so far and unless the toe is harder than turning the heel--I'm "good to go!"----Now, I know what all the sock excitement is about. I had been told by a non-knitter (yes, there are such people that exist) and sketic that it seemed like too much money and time and didn't seem worth it.........oh, it was soooooo worth it. However, I would make one suggestion to those who have never tried it. Make socks with worsted weight yarn first (my pattern had three different gauges and weights in one) so that you don't get discouraged before you get to the turning the heel.......I was about to get tired of doing the cuff, because I wanted long socks. However, I did use the self patterning yarn and that was fun to see develope.

rebecca
05-03-2006, 11:19 AM
:cheering: :happydance: CONGRATULATIONS :happydance: :cheering:

Mienna
05-03-2006, 01:42 PM
:happydance: Congrats! :happydance: I used worsted weight for my first adult socks too, and it went pretty quick which was nice. :)

nicolethegeek
05-04-2006, 01:15 PM
YAY!!! We have another sock addict!

And for the record, I dove in with fingering weight and size 3 needles my first time around. I didn't use any WW until my 3rd or 4th pair, and even those were knitted on 3s!