PDA

View Full Version : "Lucky" Lace Wrap (S 'n B Nation)...anyone?

knitqueen
05-08-2006, 08:16 PM
I've seen quite a few people mentioning/thinking of making this lately. I've just started it. Anyone interested in a knit along?? You can see a picture of the top here (http://www.bust.com/knithappens/snb_nation.shtml) , you have to click on the 'forward' button until it comes up, and this is the nicest FO of the pattern I've seen (http://guavaseeds.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_guavaseeds_archive.html), just scroll down a tiny ways on the page and you'll see it. It's gorgeous.

Anyways, I've started and am planning to make a cap sleeve version instead of long sleeves. It is slow going, small needles and thin yarn, but a really lovely lace pattern and nice and feminine. I am doing it in PINK :D

Friskums
05-08-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm planning on making this soon. It's not needed until christmas, but there's no sense in not planning. ;)

I wanna get Starsky done first though. I think I need to go order some yarn anyway.
So, I'm in....when I get to it. ^_^

Now to decide on a color... :thinking:

knitqueen
05-08-2006, 09:17 PM
And here I am, doing this project to get out of finishing Starsky! :rollseyes: :lol: I'll finish it eventually, I just need a break!

And just so you know, I've been working on it for 2 days now, quite a bit of knitting, and have only gotten about 5 inches done on the back piece. The small needles take forever, it seems, so I'd say it's not too early to start! :D

CateKnits
05-08-2006, 09:22 PM
My roommate's working on one of those in red.
I don't need to start a new project on tiny needles, but I might if I find some good yarn. I want to make a GREEN one.

Danielle
05-08-2006, 09:25 PM
I was looking at this pattern last night. It is so pretty! I might join in on this one. What yarn are you using? Is there a knitpicks yarn that would work for it I wonder? I'll have to go check the gauge in my book. :D

Friskums
05-08-2006, 09:30 PM
And just so you know, I've been working on it for 2 days now, quite a bit of knitting, and have only gotten about 5 inches done on the back piece. The small needles take forever, it seems, so I'd say it's not too early to start! :D

Yikes. Well, I don't have any projects due for July or August so I figured that's when I'm going to start on my Christmas projects.

Hopefully 4 or 5 months will be enough time. ;)

Friskums
05-08-2006, 10:26 PM
She (http://stores.ebay.com/Jannettes-Rare-Yarns) has Rowan 4 ply cotton for sale at $4.00 a ball.

I just bought my yarn for Lucky. Decided to go with a nice light color since the pattern is pretty light too. (To me anyway.) Color is Ripple. My step mom likes blue, but so does my dad and between the two of them, I'm blue'd out! (Ironically, that's our last name too.) :lol:

[Edited to add: Oh, ****. Just realized I don't have any size 3 needles. Perhaps I'll visit this Jeff fellow everyone keeps talking about. ;) ]

knitqueen
05-08-2006, 10:41 PM
I am so sad that I can't afford good yarn :( . I'm using acrylic for this one. I'm not an acrylic hater, in fact there are some that I quite like, this one is a baby yarn, Bernat Softee Baby, I have used it before (in fact what I'm using for this project is the scads I had leftover from my last project!) and I really like it. It's not a cottony, summery feel, but it's soft and cozy and will be nice for those cooler summer days.

CateKnits
05-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Forget green. If I could afford $50 to knit a sweater right now, I'd do it in this (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-shade-for-2006-Rowan-4-Ply-Cotton-HONEYDEW-Singles_W0QQitemZ8283760959QQcategoryZ75569QQtcZph otoQQcmdZViewItem)!

Friskums
05-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Hehehe... I almost went with that color. But...my stepmom's just not a yellow person. :lol:

Danielle
05-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Holy crap! :shock: This will take forever on size 3 needles! :shock:
Maybe if I start now I'll have it finished by fall!

*heads off to find yarn to knit Lucky with*

Danielle
05-09-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm wondering if this (http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=596) yarn will work for Lucky. What do you all think?

Friskums
05-09-2006, 01:58 PM
I would think so. I was looking online (yarndex.com) and had a whole list of substitutions. It's in a .txt file at home. I can PM it to you (or post it here) later tonight after work if you'd like.

That Lime Light looks pretty good. ;) ^_^

Toast King
05-09-2006, 05:27 PM
That's such a nice pattern - I even bought the book especially for it! Would love to join in on the KAL but I've a couple of things to finish up first... good luck in the meantime! :XX:
ps. Loving your yarns choices

knitqueen
05-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Here's a progress pic. I have one more increase row to do, then about 3" more even will take me to the armhole. This has taken me three days so far, I am so not used to this delayed gratification type of knitting!! :lol: Overall I'm so happy with how it's coming together. :D

Friskums
05-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Oh, that's so pretty! Normally I'm not a big fan of pink, but that color and that pattern just looks so pretty. ^_^

knitqueen
05-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Thank you! :D You know what's funny? I NEVER was into pink either. I was HORRIFIED when I had to wear pink for my sister's wedding :help: . But now that I'm married and have 2 little boys, pink has been more and more appealing. It's all about pink now!! :roflhard: I have to re-claim the smallest bits of femininity that I can. :roflhard:

Danielle
05-10-2006, 07:23 PM
That is beautiful!!

knitqueen
05-15-2006, 02:22 AM
I've been working on this a week now, and have JUST finished the first 12-3/4" of the back piece. I have worked on it a lot and have only come this far. I am excited to finally start DECREASING some of these 125 stitches!! :thumbsup:

Toast King
05-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Congrats on your progress knitqueen! And it's a lovely colour (I have two brothers, plus I share a house with 4 guys, and my boyfriend lives with guys, so I too find the colour pink quite helpful for staying gurrrrrly!)

How are you finding the lace pattern? Is it easy to keep track of? I'm still no closer to starting mine, but I daydream a little and wondered whether I'd be able to incorporate another lace pattern into the overall shape of the cardigan... not something I've tried to do before... maybe biting off more than I can chew? Whadya think?

Keep us posted on yours! :XX:

knitqueen
05-17-2006, 05:27 PM
The lace pattern is easy to keep track of once you get going. It just gets a bit tricky with staying in pattern with the increases and decreases, figuring out where each row begins in the pattern in order to keep it all consistent. I figured out that if I charted out the beginnings of all the rows it helped me a lot to visualize.

Progress has been made!! The back piece is now finished. Somewhere along the way my gauge got screwed up because it ended up rather wide. Not overly so, I'm hoping it will still come out alright especially since it's a wrap I'm thinking when I wear it I can just wrap it a bit tighter if it's loose. I am so happy with how it came out, I am happy with the yarn and colour. Left and right fronts are next, I'm going to try to do them in tandem.

jamadian75
05-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Left and right fronts are next, I'm going to try to do them in tandem.

That sounds interesting - how do you knit those 2 parts in tandem?
(Sorry if that's a dumb question)

knitqueen
05-17-2006, 05:55 PM
All I mean is knitting them at the same time on two sets of needles (or I suppose I could do them on the same needles) with two balls of yarn. That way they are finished at about the same time. No "second sock syndrom", if you know what I mean! ;)

ladyindica2000
05-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Oh, I love this one. I am thinking of starting it once I am done my Calla tank. How much yarn do you need? I don't have the book yet, but am thinking that if I buy the book and the yarn, they may just arrive at the same time (in enough time for me to finish Calla).

knitqueen
05-17-2006, 08:13 PM
The pattern suggests Rowan 4-Ply Cotton, 186yds per ball, 8-11 skeins depending on which size you make. The gauge is 26sts and 32 rows/4" if you are looking to substitute.

Danielle
05-18-2006, 12:46 AM
That looks great, KQ! I haven't started mine yet....I don't have a yarn picked out, either. Soon maybe!

Andrea
05-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Very nice, KQ :inlove: :inlove: Love that color!

jamadian75
05-18-2006, 12:25 PM
All I mean is knitting them at the same time on two sets of needles (or I suppose I could do them on the same needles) with two balls of yarn. That way they are finished at about the same time. No "second sock syndrom", if you know what I mean! ;)

Brilliant :thumbsup:

knitqueen
05-24-2006, 05:21 PM
I was feeling a bit cursed by the right front. I started and re-started it twice and was making dumb mistakes. I put that aside and made a sleeve instead. I am modifying the pattern, making cap sleeves instead of long sleeves, so I have one down in less than a day. The second sleeve should be done by the end of tomorrow, then I'll feel like tackling the front pieces again. I'd post a pic, but a picture of a little cap sleeve is kinda boring! :D

knitqueen
05-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Two cap sleeves done. The second one I made yesterday afternoon/evening. Once you 'get to know' this lace pattern and how it works as far as decreasing/increasing in pattern, it's fairly smooth sailing. It just takes a while for the big pieces because of the gauge. Today I'll tackle the right front again IF I can locate that other ball of yarn :thinking:

knitqueen
05-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Here's a picture of the sleeves seamed to the back piece. I'm happy with how it's coming together but still a bit worried at how wide it seems. :pray:

Friskums
05-25-2006, 08:40 PM
So pretty!!! :thumbsup: :drooling:

knitqueen
06-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Alrighty, progress has been made!! :cheering:

It's been a while. I ran out of yarn so had to buy more, but we were in the process of switching to a new vehicle so I was car-less for a little while. So I finally picked up more yarn and finished the right front. It's looking really good. I tried it on, best i could with only the sleeves, back and one side seamed together and I think the width will be okay afterall, the only thing I worry about it the width of the top of the neckline in the back, it seems loose but there is still a band to be sewn on which will tighten things up, hopefully it will be enough. I have bad luck with finishing, hopefully this time will be better.

knitqueen
06-09-2006, 07:00 PM
In between my recent sock obsession, I am still working on this wrap. I'm just about done the waist decreases on the second front piece. It should go pretty fast now. Then the rest of the seaming and the neckband and it will be done.

Friskums
06-09-2006, 08:58 PM
:happydance: woo hoo! ^_^

DoulaLyndsey
06-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Can I join? I just bought the SnB:N book the other day and fell in love with this cardigan!! I went and bought some Lion Brand microspun yarn in fuchsia today and am currently knitting my gauge swatch. I love the pattern, it's going to be beautiful all finished!!

knitqueen
06-10-2006, 02:56 PM
YAY :cheering:

Finally someone joining me!! :D

DoulaLyndsey
06-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Ok, I've already got a question. I started and knit the 4 rows of 1x1 rib, then purled back, and then did the 2 rows of pattern (which were knitting across and then purling back). Then it states that you need to decrease at the beginning and end of next row, so do I k2tog then yo, or do I k2tog, k2, then yo like the pattern says (and to not break continuity)?

DoulaLyndsey
06-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Ok, I think I figured out my first problem, I decreased and then k1, yo that way the decreased stitch plus the k1 mocked the normal k2 of the pattern. Does that make sense, and is that right?

Second question is, for the decrease, do I decrease every 9th row (as in, decrease on row 3, 12, 21, and 30) OR do I decrease ON the 9th row in three stitch repeats?

My first instinct is to decrease on rows 3, 12...etc. but then I read it again and now I'm not sure. Am I reading into this too much? :shock:

knitqueen
06-11-2006, 12:36 PM
I thought and thought about it too when I came to that first decrease row in pattern. What I did the first time around was instead of doing a technical decrease, I just did one less increase so in other words I skipped the first yarn over of the first pattern repeat on row 3. It worked fine. After that I realized that because each of the eyelet sections of the pattern has the same # of increases as decreases so when in doubt of how to fit the decrease in to the pattern, I just omitted the whole eyelet section and just went however many stitches over to where the next eyelet section would be. Because the gauge is fine, if you omit a whole "clover" it does not affect the look because it does not leave a big gap. Make sense?

Also, the decreases are on rows 3, 12, 21, 30 like you said.

IndefatigableL
06-11-2006, 06:40 PM
I just ordered the yarn for this last week, and was looking for a knit-a-long, and here one is. I've heard a lot of things about errors in this pattern so I'm a little afraid to do it by myself!

The yarn I'll be using is Knitpicks Essential (http://knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_Display.aspx?itemid=5420133) in Grass. I hope it works, and I know it's wool, but I do live in Seattle, so it's chilly a lot anyways. The modifications I'm thinking of are shorter sleeves, not cap sleeves but like midway between shoulder and elbow.

Hopefully my yarn will arrive soon and I can join in! Although, I may have to buy new needles. If I remember correctly, I left my #3's on my bed and sat on one and bent it.

DoulaLyndsey
06-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Ok, I'm getting really frustrated with this pattern pretty quickly. Silly me just realized (2 rows too late) that as I decrease, I have to alter the pattern so that the clovers line up and don't go crooked. So now I have to try and rip out two rows without splitting the yarn too badly. :frog: .

knitqueen
06-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Well, I'm pretty much finished (I haven't finished the left front completely yet but I have done the right and the left is the same but reversed) and I have not encountered any problems. What I have read of people having problems came from not doing the yarn overs properly. I do not believe there are any errors in the lace pattern, or the sweater pattern itself.

Doula, what worked for me at first when I was trying to 'get to know' the lace pattern was to chart it out on graph paper. So I knew where the decrease and increase rows were and could actually SEE how it was supposed to look in order to keep the lace pattern lined up from row to row. I really used my little chart A LOT during the back piece, less so on the front right piece and I have hardly looked at it on the left front piece except to remind myself which rows are decrease/increase. You really do get to know the pattern and it becomes second nature.

Let me know if you need any help - I want both of you to make this with me!!! :D

IndefatigableL
06-11-2006, 10:16 PM
So... I can follow the pattern as written and get the lace to line up properly? Or do I actually need to change something?

Not to mention I already have questions as to how you reverse the shaping... I really want my yarn to get here tomorrow so I can just get going!

knitqueen
06-12-2006, 12:08 AM
So... I can follow the pattern as written and get the lace to line up properly? Or do I actually need to change something?

Not to mention I already have questions as to how you reverse the shaping... I really want my yarn to get here tomorrow so I can just get going!

If you follow the lace pattern exactly you WILL get it to line up properly. The confusion begins when you have to figure out how to fit the decreases and increases into the lace pattern but you can do it!! :thumbsup: I figured it out and so can you, and since I've done it already I'm here to help. I can help you with the reverse shaping too once you get there.

DoulaLyndsey
06-12-2006, 07:58 AM
That's a good idea, I'll chart out the pattern with the increases and decreases so that I can get the to line up. I did fine when I did my gauge swatch, no mistakes in the lace, but now that I'm having to throw the decreases and increases in, I'm all confused :lol: .

I've learned my lesson, I'm going to use a lifeline now. I'm determined to finish this!!

IndefatigableL
06-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Yarna rrived today, excitement. It's 8 though, but I'll see what kind of start I can get tonight and hopefully I'll have photos soon. I think I will also chart my increases and decreases, because a chart will make more sense in my mind.

DoulaLyndsey
06-13-2006, 09:48 AM
THANK YOU for the chart idea, it worked wonderfully and I'm now almost done with the decreases. :cheering: I'll take pictures once I get a little further along. Don't know how much knitting I'll get done today, though, since 3 year old daughter is sick :crying: .

knitqueen
06-13-2006, 12:46 PM
So glad it's working out for you. The chart helped me so much too, I found it invaluable when learning the pattern. Forgive me if you've already mentioned it, but what yarn are you using??

mulene
06-13-2006, 12:56 PM
In this issue of simply knitting in the US you get the free circs - in the next issue (the current UK issue) you get a free tote and there's a pattern in there very VERY similar to this.

Its for a cardigan with a ribbon through it to tie with - hard to explain but you'll see what I mean soon enough =P I loved the look of this in S&B but it scared the pants off me!

knitqueen
06-13-2006, 05:24 PM
One thing I would suggest when you get to this point -- for the front left and right pieces it says to leave 4 sts at the edge as 1x1 rib. In my opinion, this is not nearly enough to control the curling. Unless you are using a highly blockable yarn (which I'm not). I've experimented with it a lot and ended up having to do a few rows of crochet to control it enough on the right side that I finished, and on the left side which I'm working on now, I've done those 4 edge stitches in purl. So those 4 stitches kind of curl towards the right side of the garment and it actually makes a nice neat little edge. I figured it didn't matter if the two weren't identical since one will always be on the inside of the 'wrap'. Just a heads up for those of you starting!!

DoulaLyndsey
06-13-2006, 07:12 PM
So glad it's working out for you. The chart helped me so much too, I found it invaluable when learning the pattern. Forgive me if you've already mentioned it, but what yarn are you using??

I'm using Lion Brand Microspun yarn in fuschia. I'm planning on posting pics soon ;) .

knitqueen
06-13-2006, 07:56 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

DoulaLyndsey
06-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Ok, here are a couple in progress pics. In these pictures I was just getting ready to start the increases :thumbsup: .

knitqueen
06-14-2006, 01:01 PM
That looks fantastic, and I just love the colour!! Way to go. Your "clovers" look great too! :thumbsup:

:cheering:

knitqueen
06-16-2006, 10:03 AM
The left front is neeeeeearly done, literally about 30 rows to go and the stitches are decreasing quickly over those 30 rows so a good 20-30 minutes of knitting should finish the LAST big piece. Then seaming it on and doing the neckline, and did I mention I'm having my wisdom teeth removed this afternoon. Eeeeeek! Lucky clover may have to wait a few days :(

DoulaLyndsey
06-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Ow, good luck this afternoon! I can't wait to see your finished wrap!

How was/is seaming, by the way? I've never done a sweater before, and although I have seamed other things and know how to do mattress stitch, I'm still nervous about seaming this together. Is it pretty easy?

knitqueen
06-16-2006, 01:09 PM
I've recently become a convert to slipping the first stitch of each row and knitting the last stitch of each row a la these instructions (http://www.wolfandturtle.net/Yarnpath/index.php/Yarnpath/stupid_knitting_tricks_the_chain_selvedge/) and it makes for very easy seaming. The stitches are very easy to see and it goes quickly.

Other than that though, on this project in particular, I think that seaming would be fairly straight forward anyways. The pieces (front and back) are symmetrical so the seams line up perfectly and I always find a raglan sleeve waaaaay easier to seam in than a set-in sleeve.

Mattress stitch is wonderful (and easy) once you get the hang of it and it produces a very finished looking seam.

knitqueen
06-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Well, my wisdom teeth are gone and I'm doing surprisingly well. Enough so that I was able to finish seaming my wrap this afternoon! :D

True to form, I'm not doing the neckline as the pattern tells me to :rollseyes: . If what I'm doing doesn't work out I'll go back and do it the right way, but I'm trying to pick up stitches rather than knit a bit long neckband and have to seam it. I'll let you know how many stitches I picked up and how it turns out once I'm done.

DoulaLyndsey
06-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Yay! I'm so excited for you!! :cheering: And I can't wait to see it finished!

IndefatigableL
06-17-2006, 08:25 PM
I've decided to start on the sleeves so I don't burn myself out with something giant, and I figured I'd be able to tell gauge being right on or not quicker. I do have one small question, though. For the stitch pattern, the instructions say repeat from * until * then K_. For rows 3 and 5 it was k2. Anyway, For row 3 I had to knit 5 like the beginning of the repeated part says, before I knit 2 because 7 stitches were left over after finishing the repeat part. On row 5 I had to knit 6 because that's how many were left. So, basically I'm going through the repeat until I have 2 stitches left then knitting them. Even if I end up in the middle of the repeat. Is that right? The clovers seem to be lining up, but it was worrying me a bit.

Other than that, I'm getting gauge and all looks okay. I actually cast on 76 for the sleeve because they are going to be shorter. I skipped the decreases. I'm working about 4 inches of the lace pattern then I'm going to start shaping the raglan cap.

By the by, what's the issue with the neckband? Is it just a lot to seam, or is it looking funny when people do it per the instructions?

knitqueen
06-17-2006, 08:29 PM
I don't think there are really issues with the neckband except for figuring out how to seam it on so that there is enough leftover at the end for the tie, and so that it has the right amount of 'gather', for lack of a better term, to give it a nice v-neck shape. There are great tips on this person's blog:
http://guavaseeds.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_guavaseeds_archive.html
Down just a ways on the page you will see her completely Lucky Wrap and her tips for seaming the neckband.

I HATE knitting big long strips that go on and on and on so that's why I decided to try picking up stitches instead. I'll let you know how it goes. It's a lot of stitches!!!!!

And your question about the lace pattern. What I discovered was that as long as you had the lace pattern properly lined up at the beginning of your row, just keep repeating it until you run out of stitches by the end of the row.

IndefatigableL
06-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Okay, thanks!

knitqueen
06-18-2006, 01:36 PM
I AM SO EXCITED!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

My neckline idea totally worked!! It fits so perfectly now :happydance: . This is what I did: I started by casting on 60sts for the front part of the tie, then continued on the same needle picking up stitches from the lower neck edge of the right front piece, picking up one stitch for every stitch until I got to about 2" from where the sleeve is seamed to the front right piece. From there I picked up every second stitch all the way across the sleeve, back top edge, and down the other sleeve until 2" below where the sleeve is seamed to the front left piece, then back to picking up one stitch for every stitch down the front left edge. Then I did the rows as follows:
Purl 1 row
Knit 1 row
Purl 2 rows
Knit 2 rows
Bind off purlwise.
It formed a bit of a vertical rib type pattern and gave just enough 'gather' around the sleeves and back to make the fit perfect. Now I have to make the second half of the tie to attach to the side and then it will be pretty much finished. Also, I think I might put a few little buttons on the inside edge of the wrap (the part that's not seen) because I think it's going to curl inwards and not look so nice there. Anyone else notice on the photo in the book of the model wearing the wrap that it looks like it's pinned kinda funny on the lower front corner??

Sorry, no pics yet, I want it to be 100% done but just had to share my excitement and success!! :happydance:

Friskums
06-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Anyone else notice on the photo in the book of the model wearing the wrap that it looks like it's pinned kinda funny on the lower front corner??

Sorry, no pics yet, I want it to be 100% done but just had to share my excitement and success!! :happydance:

Congrats!! I just ordered my needles for this. I can't wait to start it. It'll be the first time I'm using the recommended yarn. :lol: :thumbsup:

And yes, I did notice the funky pinning on the model. :D

knitqueen
06-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Here it is!! I am so thrilled with how this came out. I'm home alone at the moment so no pics of me wearing it yet. :D

DoulaLyndsey
06-18-2006, 03:49 PM
It looks great!!

I need to get to work on mine, I can't wait to get it done so I can wear it!

Ingrid
06-18-2006, 04:07 PM
That is gorgeous!!

Friskums
06-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Perfect! :thumbsup: :happydance: :cheering:

DoulaLyndsey
06-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Is anyone still knitting this with me?

I'm almost to the sleeve shaping on the back. Hopefully once I start decreasing, the rest of the back piece will go quickly.

Friskums
06-20-2006, 08:23 PM
I will be as soon as I get the needles I ordered.

I may have to go poke Jeff. :?

knitqueen
06-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Is anyone still knitting this with me?

I'm almost to the sleeve shaping on the back. Hopefully once I start decreasing, the rest of the back piece will go quickly.

I found the back piece to take forever too! Once you start decreasing it zips along nicely, and then you know that you have the biggest piece of the project finished. :D

IndefatigableL
06-20-2006, 09:51 PM
I really like the look with cap sleeves, really great job.

I'm still kntting the sleeves. I am possibly the slowest knitter in existence. I am slightly worrying about the ladders that are forming above the clovers, but I think they'll be fine... I hope.

knitqueen
06-20-2006, 10:18 PM
I really like the look with cap sleeves, really great job.

I'm still kntting the sleeves. I am possibly the slowest knitter in existence. I am slightly worrying about the ladders that are forming above the clovers, but I think they'll be fine... I hope.

Do you mean on the upper right of each clover there is a slight gap between stitches? I had that too and it looks like the one in the picture in the book has it too. Once finished, it's not noticeable.

IndefatigableL
06-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I noticed it in the book too, so no worries I guess!

DoulaLyndsey
06-24-2006, 07:50 PM
I just finished the back :happydance: !! I'm thrilled since I know I have the biggest piece out of the way now :thumbsup: . No pictures tonight, though, since it's getting dark here. I'll try to post them tomorrow.

DoulaLyndsey
06-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Ok, here's the picture!

I'm now working on the right front :thumbsup: .

Friskums
06-26-2006, 03:27 PM
It's so puuuuuuuurdy! ^_^ :thumbsup:

Friskums
06-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Well, I got my needles today. I'll most likely start this tonight (just got done with my swatch). :happydance:

I think the pattern will be too much for me to keep track of at work, so this will be my "at home" knitting project. :D

DoulaLyndsey
07-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Yay! Can't wait to see it!

Friskums
07-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Gah. I"m doing something wrong. I started with 106 stitches, and after the decrease rows I had 122. :shock:

Obviously I'm missing a decrease step in there somewhere, but I don't know where. I've frogged back to the 1x1 rib.

I'll try again tomorrow. Not feelin like it tonight.

knitqueen
07-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Aww, that's too bad that it's not working out for you....yet. I found that I had to pay such close attention to the lace pattern while I was getting used to it. I looks so simple but I guess it isn't! Did your "clover" pattern look right, even though you wound up with the wrong # of stitches??

Friskums
07-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Yeah, the clovers were perfect. And the number of them per repeat didn't change either.

Although, I did keep having to knit one or two more to get the pattern to line up right. That was the only thing that didn't match up.

And I don't like my Addi's. They are too blunt. :crying: Anyone wanna trade with the KP circs? ;) (Kidding. hehehe. I'm probably going to order some as soon as I can afford to be spending more money on knitting stuff.)

Friskums
07-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Ahhh, found out what I was doing wrong. In line 3 of the clover pattern I was doing slip1, knit1, psso, instead of slip1, k2tog, psso. I wrote it down wrong. :oops:

I'm not happy with the needles though. I don't like I like metal needles at all. :P But, my denise's don't have anything smaller than a 5. I'm swatching those right now though, to see what the difference would be.

So, I'm probably going to put this on hold until I get needles I like. *sigh*

DoulaLyndsey
07-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Glad you got your problem figured out!

I was disappointed that I couldn't use my Denise needles, too, I'm using the size 3's from my Boye kit. I don't mind metal though, so it's okay. Maybe you'd prefer bamboo?

I'm still working on the right front. I've had to rip it all out a couple times after messing up a clover and not being able to fix it. I sure hope it's worth it, it's taking a lot of time to knit!

Friskums
07-06-2006, 09:44 AM
I have a set of bamboo DPNs and I don't really like those either. Not slick enough. :lol:

On the Denise's 26 rows = 4.25 inches. So, I was thinking of just using them anyway. I dunno....

Yeah, I hope it's worth it too. I had to frog back to the ribbing and it's just been sitting there for a few days now. I'm hesitant to start again. :doh:

DoulaLyndsey
07-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Once you get the hang of the clovers, they're pretty easy, but until then it might be helpful to place a lifeline after each clover group. Just a suggestion, I know how it feels to have to frog hours of work :shock: .

Friskums
07-06-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm not having a problem with the clovers. Those are coming out great. For some reason, this last time the second pattern repeat didn't line up right with the first. So since I was disliking the needles to much I decided to frog it and wait till I got ones I liked better.

I think I'm just going to use the KP circs I've got even though they're size 4. So, I'll start on that this weekend again, probably.

DoulaLyndsey
07-11-2006, 12:40 PM
I just finished the right front last night! :cheering: I hope to get a start on the left front sometime today when my kids finally take a nap.

Friskums
07-11-2006, 03:10 PM
w00t! :happydance:

DoulaLyndsey
07-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Just finished the left front!! :happydance: I'm a bit worried, though, I was looking at the FO in the book and my decreases at the top of the two halves look different, they don't come to a short, fat point quite like the one in the book, the tops of mine are longer, if that makes any sense. I guess the only solution is to get it done and see how it seams together, though before I know if it's right or not.

Onto the sleeves!!

Friskums
07-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Congrats!

I've put mine on hold. I'm just not into it right now. I'll have to come back to it later. :oops:

IndefatigableL
07-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Ah, you're not the only one. At almost 100 degree weather, and in choosing wool (damn northwest pulled a fast one on me!) my hands feel gross just sitting there, and I attempted some knitting, and it's a no-go.

Friskums
07-23-2006, 01:30 AM
I've figured out it's the yarn. I guess I just don't like knitting with cotton (though the cotton/wool blend I got from my yarn pal I'm loving!)

So, I'm looking for alternatives to the yarn. Thinking about using Microspun as well, but I don't know what color to use.

If it were for me, I'd soooo use the lime green. :inlove: :inlove:

As soon as I find out which color she'd prefer I'll probably get started on this again. :thumbsup:

DoulaLyndsey
07-23-2006, 12:12 PM
I thought about doing the lime green, but I really didn't have anything in my wardrobe that would match it. The store that I went to didn't have many colors to choose from, but I went to a different store and saw the most beautiful turquiose that I would've loved to do it in, but there's no way I'm starting over!!

DoulaLyndsey
07-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Updated pics of my wrap! Anyone still in on this with me?

Friskums
07-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Ooooh, that looks great. ^_^

My step-mom got back to me about the color she liked. So, I'll be starting this (again) next week or so, when I get my needles and yarn unpacked. :thumbsup:

knitqueen
07-24-2006, 11:11 AM
It looks fantastic!! I'm so embarrassed to say :blush: that I haven't worn mine yet. It has just been SO hot that I haven't wanted to wear anything even remotely sweater-like, and I actually haven't tecnically finished it yet, I need to add the ribbon tie on the inside.

IndefatigableL
08-02-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm embarassed to say I haven't worked on mine lately. :oops:

I'm picking it back up tonight! The weather has gotten pleasantly cool.

Friskums
08-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Well, I'm swatching right now with the Microspun. It's going sooooooo much better than the cotton.

I'm not even minding using the Addi's with it. :happydance: :happydance:

Hopefully I'll make some good progress tonight when I get home. I'm not risking the decreases while at work. I doubt I'd make it past the first row with all the distractions here. :wall:

DoulaLyndsey
08-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Good luck!! :happydance:

I'm nearly done with mine, i just need to seam up the other arm and side and then attach the long tie. But, I hate seaming and I'm sick of doing it, so I'm giving it a short break so I don't go completely insane :wall: .

Friskums
08-22-2006, 07:20 PM
I have no idea what I was doing wrong the first time, but it's working this time!! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

I'm so happy. I have almost 2 rows of repeats done. I love the microspun, and I love my Options needles. They turned this project into something I'm looking forward too again.

Yay!

Friskums
08-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Status pics!

http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/luckyprogress.jpg
http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/luckytease.jpg

knitqueen
08-23-2006, 10:11 PM
That looks SO good!! :cheering: :cheering:

Friskums
08-23-2006, 10:16 PM
I hate the color. But, she picked it out, so she better like it. :rofl:

Friskums
08-26-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm done with the back. ^_^

http://www.ekittie.com/inages/knitting/luckybackdone.jpg

I think I'm only going to do 3/4 length sleeves.

The back went quicker than I thought. And I figured out how to keep track of where I am without needing to count each stitch, so the next parts will look better.

Anyone see the 2 leaf clover? :teehee: :teehee:

CateKnits
08-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Very nice! :cheering:
Is the two leaf one the one right in the middle? I went looking for it only because you say something. :rofl:

Friskums
08-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Yep, right smack dab in the middle. I have no idea how I managed it. :shrug:

I hope she doesn't notice. :pray:

Andrea
08-27-2006, 11:18 AM
It's like Where's Waldo, but I don't see it! :pout:

It looks great, FK! :heart:

Friskums
08-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks. ^_^

(And here's a hint as to where it is:
http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/luckybooboo.jpg )

Friskums
09-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Do you keep the 1x1 ribbing along the neck edge after binding off the 4 sts?

knitqueen
09-01-2006, 05:42 PM
No.

Friskums
09-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks. ^_^

Friskums
09-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Hmmm, I just finished the right front. It sizes up to the back perfectly, but the point didn't come to a point. After doing all of the decreases, I had about 12 sts left on the needle. But, it's the right height, so I just bound them off.

Then I was looking at the book and the kal and realized I didn't have a point.

I wonder if I just did something wrong. My gauge was spot on...
If I go back and keep going until I have a point, it'll be about an inch longer than the back. But if I just leave it how it is I don't know if it'll cause problems.

Any ideas? :?? :shrug:

(And I took out my lifeline cuz I thought I was done. :cry: I wouldn't know where to frog back to...)

knitqueen
09-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if you didn't calculate the decreases properly because when I made it, I wound up with a point at the end of each front piece. It kind of has to be that way for the seams to look right, but if you kept going until you did get to a point, the front wouldn't line up with the back piece. It's a dilemma.

Friskums
09-03-2006, 10:22 PM
I wonder if I could frog back just a few rows and then do a decrease on each edge of every row, even though some rows only have it on one edge... :think:

knitqueen
09-03-2006, 10:25 PM
I think that might be a good idea - get down to 1 stitch but in the same number of rows, and make sure that you do the same thing on the other side.

Friskums
09-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Yep, I just redid it. Looks much better now. ^_^

I have no idea how it happened. I thought I was following the pattern so closely... :shrug:

We'll see how it goes on the other side. :thumbsup: