PDA

View Full Version : My KoolAid Yarn

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-08-2006, 11:11 PM
As you all know from the TQBFJOTLD thread, I have been in a procrastinating mood :-) This weekend, I decided to try some koolaid dyeing... since I have nothing else to do or knit or plant or study or whatever :rollseyes:

I woound the yarn into hanks, and then soaked them in lukewarm water for 45 minutes (longer than suggested). While they were soaking, I mixed the koolaid in mason jars, because they have measurements on the side of the jar. I first added a splash of vinegar to each jar, even though all of the directions I read said you didn't need it, added the powder, and then added about 6 ounces of hot water for each packet of koolaid. In the pictures below, the large jars all have 24 ounces of liquid with 3 packets of koolaid, and the smaller ones have 1 packet with 8 ounces of liquid EXCEPT for the pink lemonade--that has 2 packets with 16 ounces.

I laid out garbage bags, taped them to the table, taped newspaper on them, then taped more garbage bags on the paper (I didn't want to make a mess). The directions I read all said to wrap the dyed yarn in saran wrap, but I decided to actually wrap it IN a trash bag, which turned out to be a good thing because they didn't drip ONE drop!!!

I poured the colors onto the yarn kind of randomly, and with gloves on, squished the yarn gently so it soaked as much of the koolaid as it could (being careful not to felt the yarn with the hot dye). I wasn't too careful with letting the colors bleed, BUT I did try not to put complementary colors right next to each other (red + green = brown, blue = orange = brown, etc). When it was all done, I rolled it up in the garbage bag, and stuck two rolls at a time in a pyrex dish, and microwaved it for 3 intervals of 2 minutes each.

Then, I carefully removed the boiling hot yarn from the trash bags. For the first skein, I laied it gently in the sink and ran some hot then warm then cool water over it, but with the other 3 I just dunked them alltgogether in coled water and let it soak. The results were the same both ways, so I'm going to stick with the second method because it's quicker.

Then, I folded the hanks in half and gently squeezed out the water, and viola!!! I laid the hanks on the table just for pictures, but really you could just hang them right up. .... I did tye the hanks with contrasting yarn, and i used the loops of the ties to keep the hanks on the hangers.

I will post a swatch as soon as I knit one! I'm so excited :cheering:

I'm going to try to dye the WHITE (not shite!!!) knitpicks yarn next. i didn't like how the ice blue lemonade turned out, too milky and washed out on this yarn. I'm going to try to find a brighter blue next time. I LOVED the orange and strawberry, though; they definitly look like sunset colors to me (for the May KAL).

Here's the pics!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Here's 2 other pictures of the finished products... that last one is a little fuzzy.

Danielle
05-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Beautiful yarn! Can't wait to see it all knitted up!! :thumbsup:

CateKnits
05-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Gorgeous! I love the pink and green together.

Friskums
05-08-2006, 11:26 PM
I like the pink and yellow! :inlove: :inlove:

Beautiful job!

mintdee
05-09-2006, 12:40 AM
Thoes are so pretty! :cheering:

Such a pretty valance ;)

boyforpele13
05-09-2006, 12:52 AM
these came out awesome!!!! i love how self-dyed yarn just looks SO rich, even with kool-aid and food coloring. it really is worth the extra time and how much fun is it?! love it!

NinaT
05-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Great Job Hildie! I am just "dying" to try Kool-Aid. I love the colors you used. I already have all the colors I want I just need to get the yarn. I noticed your disdain for the Knit Picks yarn. Why? I'm asking because I was just about to order a ton of it and if it's cr*p, I won't! By the way thanks for all the pix it's a huge help!

Jan in CA
05-09-2006, 01:12 AM
:cheering: Those are pretty! I can't wait to see a swatch!

boyforpele13
05-09-2006, 02:10 AM
NinaT, i'm sure hildie has her reasons and i look forward to reading them as well, because i haven't ordered a whole ton of a lot from KP myself yet and I am interested to hear. I will say everything I have received I have been thrilled with thus far. However, I do distinctly remember this post (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9083&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=pilling&start=0) from Amy about Wool of the Andes, and I found it absolutely devastating, not only because I was disappointed to discover that about WOTA, but all of Amy's hard work! KP's dye your owns only come in WOTA, lace merino and sock merino, and after seeing that post above, I would be terrified to use WOTA for dying or really anything outside of felting for that matter.

Virtuella
05-09-2006, 02:50 AM
Mmmmm I can smell your new yarn all the way to my home!
I love the colours you have put together! :heart:

mulene
05-09-2006, 05:09 AM
wow thats so kool! Honestly though, its really amazing that you can do that with a soft drink mix. We don't have kool aid here - though I do have 2 little sachets from when I went to the States on vacation last year. Wish I'd bought more now *laugh* I didn't make the stuff up yet because I wasn't sure what a quart was and didn't have a big enough jug =P

Debbie
05-09-2006, 05:17 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I think shite knit picks is supposed to be WHITE !!!!!!
Knit Picks has great yarn, I think Hilde uses it often .

I have kool aide dyed the KP and it turns out wonderful.

Andrea
05-09-2006, 05:49 AM
Looks great, Hildie! One day I'm going to take the dyeing plunge...

Ingrid
05-09-2006, 08:05 AM
That's quite a production--but well worth it! Looks beautiful! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-09-2006, 08:25 AM
OMG!!! :oops:

It *IS* supposed to be white knitpicks, not shite!!!! :doh: I wouldn't say *that* word on the forums anywhere but my blog in realllllyyyyyyyyyyy tiny type.. and I'd be sure to spell it right!!! :roflhard: I changed it in the original post :-) You know me and my typos! :wall:

I love knitpicks; I won't ever use WOTA to make a sweater, too itchy and fuzzy, BUT the merino style is my "stand by" yarn... and the white, WHITE dye-your-own sock weight stuff is what I'm going to try next.

sorry for confusion! that's hilarious!!!! :roflhard:

thanks for the compliments, everyone! It was a lot of preparation and clean up, but the dying part was fun and quick. I'm going to let my niece and nephew help next time, they LOVE to make messes!

kemp
05-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Looks great Hilde! What are you going to make with it?

KellyK
05-09-2006, 08:36 AM
It would be the correct spelling if you lived in, oh, SCOTLAND or something! :roflhard:

It looks GAWGEOUS, Hild!

And, YES....what are ya gonna make????

kemp
05-09-2006, 08:37 AM
OMG KK...is that you in the pic? First time I've seen the new av!

mulene
05-09-2006, 09:53 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: when I first read this I just assumed that it wasn't the BEST yarn from knitpicks - ie try something cheap and cheerful to ensure if it goes awry its not overloaded the pocket. Thats what we here would call s***e!

That word is used a lot here in the UK - Scottish / Irish and of course the Brits LOL

"next time im gonna use the s***e stuff and when I'm done it'll be brite!"

boyforpele13
05-09-2006, 09:53 AM
oh, hildie, i'm so glad to hear that! (i just placed another order yesterday!) too funny! :lol:

NinaT
05-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Sorry! :oops: I watch absolutely too much English TV! When I saw sh**e I just thought you were an Anglophile too ;) .Sooooo strike that previous post and my order to KP will be on its way. I definitely want to try sock yarn!

rebecca
05-09-2006, 10:49 AM
:roflhard: :rofling: shite, toooooo FUNNY :roflhard: :rofling:
Love your dyeing hidlegard ;) I had the exact same thing happen with my Ice Blue koolaid...I thought that was going to be such a cool color :rollseyes:

nicolethegeek
05-09-2006, 11:25 AM
I spend a lot of time in an IRC channel where I play a trivia game... about half of the people that play at the same time as me are English, so the s***e comment caught me off guard too. Now if she would have said that the yarn was bullocks, then I really would have lost it! :roflhard: :roflhard:

I was talking to one of my friends this morning, and he says there's nothing like Kool-Aid in the UK, so my suggestion would be to use just regular fabric dyes.

Hilde... why did you have to show those pics??? Now I'm *really* wanting to try some dyeing!!!

mulene
05-09-2006, 11:35 AM
LOL it's boll**ks not bull ;)

what IRC channel!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-09-2006, 11:42 AM
ooo I'm glad that everyone ahs caught the dying bug. Maybe I'll make that a KAL for june or July :thinking:

I had a mishap with my lucy bag... I spilled an entire bottle of coffee creamer on it :doh: AND the seat of my car. SOoooooo I think I'm going to use this to make another Lucy. If I can find the directions, they are MIA right now. :doh: (i actually just need directions for the handle, if anyone wants to PM me :oo: )

bullocks? :??

nicolethegeek
05-09-2006, 11:53 AM
what IRC channel!!

It's #trivia on sorcerynet. I've got a java link here somewhere for it, but I use mIRC since I'm a channel op. Nearly all the UK regulars, and well over half of the Canadian regulars are corrie fans too, so even though I've never watched the show, I usually know what's going on in the UK *and* Canadian episodes! :roflhard:

And as for my spelling error... I'll blame it on the fact that I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet and I'm still brain dead... no comments please on my usual condition *after* coffee! :rollseyes: :roflhard:

kelly1205
05-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Can you wash that w/o the die coming out or fading? Can it be dried?
That is sooooooooo cool!!!! Where did you get the directions for that?
:thinking:
:XX:

kitkat
05-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Its so pretty - but my first thought is eeeeeeeeeeeeeew its going to be sticky and attract bees! DOH!

Ellen Edwards
05-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Beautiful, Hildie!! But I want to know what Sean wanted to know--was it fun...worth it?? Did you get tired of all the steps and the mess??

boyforpele13
05-09-2006, 06:16 PM
trudy, i've actually done some food coloring dyeing and i was saying it was totally worth the extra time and effort because there is a certain richness in the colors of hand-dyed yarns you just don't find in machine dyed. i totally love it and plan to do lots more and hildie's post is re-inspiring. ;)

Angelia
05-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Hildie, I love your shite Kool-aid dyed yarn!! :inlove: :inlove:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-10-2006, 07:11 PM
:roflhard: Ang :-)

I agree, I think it was totally fun and worth the prep and clean up. My understanding is that the colors won't fade or wash out, because it's wool. If you did it with cotton, it would eventually fade to just looking stained I guess (like when you spill koolaid on a white tshirt). I'm going to do a test swatch and felt it to make sure... I haven't found a lot about felting koolaid yarn.

Kelly, I checked out a bunch of websites, and they all had similar directions. Thry this one (http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolaid/basic-howto.html), which I thought was very clear. You can also do a google or yahoo search. A lot of what i saw were "here's how I did it" directions, not like a specific list of steps. I think this is one of those things that you can't really mess up too bad.

WynnieG
05-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Hildie, I love your shite Kool-aid dyed yarn!! :inlove: :inlove:

I read that as "shite-dyed Kool-aid yarn".

:roflhard: I need to go lie down now.

Angelia
05-10-2006, 08:34 PM

Rest those eyes... :shock:

IrishBaby
05-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Great work! I'd love to see it knit up. :)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-10-2006, 10:28 PM
OMG, that's worse than shite knitpicks yarn!!! :roflhard:

Everything is FINALLY all dry (it was probablly dry yesterday but I didn't check) so I'm going to wind into balls tonight and maybe knit a swatch and felt it tomorrow. yippee!!!