PDA

View Full Version : Obsession of the Day

candicane
05-09-2006, 11:02 AM
I need (yes, NEED) to have Elsebeth Lavold Hempathy yarn. It sounds like such a nice summer blend. 41% Cotton, 34% Hemp, 25% Modal

Has anyone used it?

Waiting patiently for LYS to open so I can call and see if they have it.

Candice

rebecca
05-09-2006, 11:30 AM
I've not used it...but it sounds like an intriguing yarn...I love the mixture...u must tell us how it feels. My latest obsession is BAMBOO yarn..I love it, I want it...I MUST make a shawl with it :thumbsup:

countingsheep
05-09-2006, 11:38 AM
:happydance: I had a "grope" session with this yarn. :inlove: :inlove: It's as awesome as you imagine. I, unfortunately, could not purchase any as that was the day I went nuts with Egyptian cotton but... seriously good stuff! I also thought "Summer" when I felt it. Not to be too much of an enabler but... I say go for it! It's on my list! ;)

OK, to be honest - every single yarn of her's that I have ever touched - I have wanted/needed! I did purchase one skein of her silky wool and it is yummy. I am waiting for the perfect project for it but I did play a bit and it knits beautifully.

:thinking: This probably doesn't help you much. Sorry but her yarns are wonderful. :blush:

candicane
05-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Still waiting to hear back from the LYS (sent them an email). If they don't have it then I'll order it from Webs. Of course then to make my shipping worthwhile I will have to get the Silky Wool too. It is on sale afterall. Now which color and how much....

candice

wyoknitter
05-09-2006, 12:04 PM
It's really nice stuff. I bought enough for a sweater out of her latest book that uses the Hempathy yarn...but socks and scarves and shawls are more interesting to me right now. The colors are very nice. A woman in my local SnB was using it to make a tank top and it feels great knitted up.

Sorry to feed your need ;)

Laura

WynnieG
05-09-2006, 12:09 PM
What is modal?

I wish I could give a review on this yarn...but I'm allergic to hemp! :crying:

feministmama
05-09-2006, 01:55 PM
:happydance: I had a "grope" session with this yarn. :inlove: :inlove:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

countingsheep
05-09-2006, 02:59 PM
:oops: Right, like you've never gropped the yarn! Not much better than wandering around the LYS and getting to cop a feel of the good stuff! :eyebrow:

Ingrid
05-09-2006, 03:54 PM
:oops: Right, like you've never gropped the yarn! Not much better than wandering around the LYS and getting to cop a feel of the good stuff! :eyebrow:

The proper term is fiberbating! :roflhard:

IrishBaby
05-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Modal is rayon.

gimmesanity
05-09-2006, 04:31 PM
I bought some to make Diamondique.
The samples I molested were heavenly.

I'll let you know how it goes once I start it.

candicane
05-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Modal is a bio-based fiber made by spinning reconstituted cellulose from beech trees. It is about 50% more hygroscopic, or water-absorbent, per unit volume than cotton is. It is designed to dye just like cotton, and is color-fast when washed in warm water. Modal is essentially a variety of rayon.

Textiles made from Modal do not fibrillate, or pill, like cotton does, and are resistant to shrinkage and fading. They are smooth and soft, more so than even mercerized cotton, to the point where mineral deposits from hard water, such as lime, do not stick to the fabric surface. Like pure cotton, modal needs to be ironed after washing.

Angelia
05-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Oh, thanks for the info on modal--I've been wondering what the heck that is! I thought it was some kind of synthetic and have been avoiding it.

I've had my eye on Hempathy, too, and somehow got it into my head that it would be scratchy. Learning it is not is very dangerous knowledge... :shock:

candicane
05-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all the enabling! I just ordered some Hempathy.

Candice

Angelia
05-10-2006, 11:55 AM
I have some in my WEBS shopping cart... :oops:

countingsheep
05-18-2006, 03:04 PM
:shock: Confession time: I just purchased 10 balls of Hempathy today. 8 in Turquoise which is actually a bit muted and very pretty and 2 in Desert Sand.

It's sooooo nice and I'll let you know how it knits - once I get to it. :blush: Has anyone done anything with this yarn yet? I'm very excited but curious as to how it feels on the needles.