PDA

View Full Version : Recycled Silk?

Celine
05-11-2006, 02:07 PM
I was wondering :?? if any of you knit with recycled silk? I have seen the hanks in the LYS but I have not purchased any yet. I hear it does not "give" at all. What's your opinion on it and what would it be good to use it for? :XX: Thanks

gardenmommy
05-11-2006, 05:00 PM
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTunbiased.html

Here's a pattern.

I've heard it's tricky too, more of an "art" yarn than functional. It can be found pretty cheap on eBay too.

silveridger
05-11-2006, 05:24 PM
You heard right, it has a firm, fabric-like texture. I found that it has a nice drape, though. I had almost a skein left over from the Mango Moon poncho kit and made up the "Shape It" scarf from Sally Melville's "The Knit Stitch." It looks great with jeans and a white t-shirt.

BTW, the poncho gets comments absolutely every time I wear it. :thumbsup: Not that I get any of the credit, it's a simple pattern, 2 stockinette stitch rectangles. It's the wonderful yarn that attracts attention.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-12-2006, 07:00 PM
I've knit with really nice recyclyed silk and really yucky recycled silk. It's definitly worth the money to pay 12 bucks for a skein of the nicer yarn; the other stuff I got as a "deal" on ebay (I can't remember the seller) with 4 bucks a skein... it was loosely spun, with knots, sticks, and some kind of dirt in it. :shock: It also broke really easily while pulling the yarn from the ball. After the breakage, I decided to rewind into hanks and hand wash all the yarn (I bought like 8 skeins!!!).... I never did go back to it after I washed it. , so there it sits.... 1600 yards of GORGEOUS looking silk, that's a real PITA to knit with.