PDA

View Full Version : question about sock yarn

wildforyarn
05-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Hi. I have a question about sock yarn.... I would like to delve into the world of knitting socks. I have noticed a difference already though... the yarn!

I have purchased some Lorna's Laces sock yarn which is very fine weight and then I have purchased some hand dyed superwash sock yarn that seems a little thicker. I think each is called fingering weight, but they are different in thickness and I don't know if this is because one skein has "bloomed" more than the other.

Help???? I guess then this is when a swatch would come in handy.

rebecca
05-11-2006, 07:15 PM
I find that most fingering wt yarns (sock yarn size) are about the same, but some differ, as u noticed. I would guess some yarns are a bit different, depending upon the manufacturer/spinner. For example, I've found that worsted wt yarn varies some from manufacturer to manufacturer...but not much. I'm sure they all try to stay within the standards (http://www.yarnstandards.com/label.html) on the label :D

AND....YAY for you, socknitting ROCKS :thumbsup:

wildforyarn
05-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Okay Rebecca, Queen of Knitting Socks, where would you suggest beginning? Silver's sock tutorial? Sensational Knitting Socks looks foreign to me, but I have to look at it again. I am looking to knit on DPNs, not the two circulars yet.

Any advice would be great!

rebecca
05-11-2006, 07:46 PM
LOL, I wouldn't quite qualify for queen of socks...perhaps socknitting freak...LOl! I would suggest Silver's tutorial, everyone loves it! She didn't have the tutorial when I began knitting socks, the :figureditout: happened for me when I saw the socknitting episode (http://www.diynet.com/diy/shows_dkng/episode/0,2046,DIY_18180_36323,00.html) of Knitty Gritty; I read over the show notes that Karen Baumer wrote (the official princess of socks ;) ) & then understood how to measure the foot for socks, etc. & then it all kind of fell into place.....now I'm hopelessly addicted to socknitting.
I would suggest doing your 1st sock on sport-worsted wt yarn :D Well, I take that back, you are a seasoned knitter, with sock yarn in hand...go for it if u feel like it; or knit a test sock in a heavier, cheaper yarn to get the 'feel' for it ;)

Katheros
05-11-2006, 08:45 PM
I found Knitty's Fuzzy Feet (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/PATTfuzzyfeet.html) pattern very helpful for me! It's knitting a felting slipper in the round, but it gives you a good idea of how a sock is constructed. It's a super easy pattern and it's felted so any mistakes magically dissappear! ;) I was able to go from that to using DPN's on a regular size sock and I had a much better idea of what I was doing.

Nikki
05-11-2006, 09:05 PM
I recently finished a sock on worsted weight following Silver's tute. UGLY thing, but I could see what I was doing and learned a lot. I'm ready to tackle a real sock now.
Nikki

Cristy
05-11-2006, 09:37 PM
I used Silver's too...ahem...I should say I'm still using it..*giggle* I haven't exactly finished yet...