PDA

View Full Version : What age to teach child to knit?

DoulaLyndsey
05-13-2006, 03:06 PM
My son is six years old and has recently expressed interest in my knitting. In your experience, what's a good age to teach someone how to knit? And, should I teach continental (what I do) or English (which I've heard is easier for kids to learn)?

And if my kids end up learning to knit, I'll just have to get them their own needle sets, because I don't want to share mine!! :blush: :lol:

Jan in CA
05-13-2006, 03:20 PM
I think it varies from kid to kid, but overall I'd say 6 is a perfect age! I got my niece these cute needles just for her!
http://pages.e-yarn.com/6030/InventoryPage/1694558/1.html

As for continental or english..try continental since that is what you know and if he finds it difficult try english.

Ingrid
05-13-2006, 07:43 PM
My grandson leaned last year at 7, and since I knit English, that's what I taught him. He hasn't shown much interest in it lately, though. I think English might be easier for kinds because each step can be demonstrated separately, and they yarn doesn't have to be wrapped around your finger.

DoulaLyndsey
05-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks ladies, maybe I'll try teaching him this summer when he gets out of school ;) .

projectgal
05-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Many Montessori schools and Waldorf educators consider knitting as part of the 1st grade curriculum.

Before I took a class at a LYS, one of my friend's child, Z, learned to knit at school. Craving to learn how, I suggested to Z that maybe she could teach me. In all seriousness, she told me I would need to learn to crochet before she could teach me to knit!

Point is, these schools regularly use tools like knitting and crochet to teach a variety of skills (fine motor, counting, patterns, etc.) to their 6 year olds, but they do tend to teach crochet before knitting.

And those Lion needles are too cute--notice one is red and one is blue. I think that would make things easier to explain. I won't share my needles with my 4 and 2 year olds, but they each have their own yarn and needles (which are actually chopsticks). They stay in their own baskets, like my knitting basket.

feministmama
05-13-2006, 10:14 PM
I taught my son when he was 7ish. He's 10 now. He said "you are so happy when you knit so teach me how." So I did. he is a lefty but he prefferred english to continental. I tried to show him crochet but knitting was much easier. He still knits. once in a while. :rollseyes: