PDA

View Full Version : OT - Do You Remember?

bjc1050
05-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Who remembers these? :thinking: :D

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jlbeam/specials/remember/remember.html

rebecca
05-17-2006, 12:31 PM
:D That certainly took me back....and I still do this: "That cloud looks like a ..." I did it with my kids, too....still do it with anyone that will look with me ;)

bjc1050
05-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Looking at clouds from a distance, I often see large islands. :D

bjc1050
05-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Trading stamps were finally phased out in the '70s when I had learned to redeem the books for cash...had already gotten all the premium items I wanted. :lol:

RachelJean
05-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Wow...I remember just about all of those things. Unfortunately, I think that means I'm old. :thinking:

HollyP
05-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Wow...I remember just about all of those things. Unfortunately, I think that means I'm old. :thinking:

You can't be too old if you actually remember them! :rofling: ;)

Jeremy
05-17-2006, 12:59 PM
I actually do remember all of them except Howdy Doody. I also remember actually having a swimming hole and thinking that seeing a movie for 75 cents was a lot of money. I also remember it being a big deal to wear jeans and sneakers to school on gym days. I'm so freakn old.

bjc1050
05-17-2006, 01:05 PM
We should be thankful that we've survived this long :lol:

If you woke up this morning
with more health than illness,
you are more blessed than the
million who won't survive the week.

Celine
05-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the memories!! I remember a lot of those..including the black and white tv's. :D

GrandmaLori
05-17-2006, 02:32 PM
I remember most of those things too. My dad always had a pack of blackjack gum in his pocket. And mom told us not to play with the candy cigarettes or we'd grow up wanting to smoke. Of course, that just made us want them even more. ;) Thanks for posting this link, us "oldies" enjoyed it.

bjc1050
05-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Teaberry gum was one of my favorites. Loved the smell. You can still get it on the internet, but I forget just where.

Jackie M.
05-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Teaberry gum was one of my favorites. Loved the smell. You can still get it on the internet, but I forget just where.

Can you still do the Teaberry Shuffle?

Ingrid
05-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Teaberry Gum (http://www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/candy_cat.asp?search=teaberry&newp=&p=1&id=97) and others.

Amber
05-17-2006, 05:52 PM
I remember most of that stuff!

Mmmmm, Blackjack gum is yummy! And candy cigarettes were always one of my favorite things to get on Halloween!

kayeknit
05-17-2006, 06:00 PM
How fun!! Ah, the good ole days!! I do remember most of that stuff. Not all, mind you! I guess I'm not too old! :lol:

Danielle
05-18-2006, 12:20 AM
nah, can't say that I remember any of that...I wasn't born yet! :razz: :roflhard:

feministmama
05-18-2006, 12:56 AM
I don't mean to burst yer bubble but in the "good old days" black folks couldn't drink out of public water fountains and if we talked back to white folks about it we could be lynched. THe "good old days" were good for only a certain segment of the population adn its hard to hear some folks gloat about it. Just my .02

humblestumble
05-18-2006, 01:10 AM
I WISH I remembered that stuff, but sadly, I wasn't even a thought in my dad's head (he must've been like 1 or 2 lol) I am fascinated with the 40s and 50s.

I have to say, that little gif they use for a 57 chevy is NOT a 57 chevy. It's like a 55.

It would've been awesome if racism had never been an issue, EVER. But it happened, and we're still working through it.

My ideal world would be full of all kinds of people, in days like those but without those prejudices getting in the way of things.

Rennagayle
05-18-2006, 06:45 AM
I, too, am truly sorry for the rascim that ruled our society during that time. It was the time of my youth and childhood, though, and fondly remembering the things of my youth, to me, isn't gloating over the mistreatment of the black people of that time.

I didn't take the time to read every single thing on the list, since I've seen so many of these lists before, but as far as I scrolled down to read, there was nothing rascist mentioned. If there was something farther down, I am sorry. We can't "pretend" that time away, though. My life was pretty crappy as a child in an alcoholic home, but it still lightens my heart to remember the things from that time period that were mentioned on that site.

Times, they are a changing! :thumbsup:

horve1
05-18-2006, 07:18 AM
I miss most of those!!!

kayeknit
05-18-2006, 07:35 AM
I don't mean to burst yer bubble but in the "good old days" black folks couldn't drink out of public water fountains and if we talked back to white folks about it we could be lynched. THe "good old days" were good for only a certain segment of the population adn its hard to hear some folks gloat about it. Just my .02
If you're referring to my comment, please don't take it quite so literally. Of course, I know that there was much injustice, and things were not so good for many people. I was only speaking of some of the fun things mentioned in that list, bringing back sweet memories. I was born in 1971, so I do not remember everything on the list, and I was not even alive during the time you are referring to. Sorry if you were offended by my (or anyone else's) comments.

bjc1050
05-18-2006, 09:13 AM
I, too, am truly sorry for the rascim that ruled our society during that time. It was the time of my youth and childhood, though, and fondly remembering the things of my youth, to me, isn't gloating over the mistreatment of the black people of that time.

I didn't take the time to read every single thing on the list, since I've seen so many of these lists before, but as far as I scrolled down to read, there was nothing rascist mentioned. If there was something farther down, I am sorry. We can't "pretend" that time away, though. My life was pretty crappy as a child in an alcoholic home, but it still lightens my heart to remember the things from that time period that were mentioned on that site.

Times, they are a changing! :thumbsup:

I agree with everything you said.

My childhood wasn't any picnic either. My dad was a drinker and sometimes got violent with my mother. However, this list helps me remember the good times and things.

feministmama
05-18-2006, 11:27 AM
I guess I didn't say what I needed to say very well. I just want people to think about stuff in a realistic way and not romantacize a time in our history that wasn't all that great. As if everyone lives Beaver Cleaver life. And yes some people had lives like that and some didn't. Reminising about it like this website does assumes that it was all hunky dory for all of us and for most of us, people of color and white people or whoever, it wasn't like that. Yes I do remember glass milk bottles delivered to our door but what is important to remember to me is that my family couldn't vote. And that shouldn't put damper on your memories, whatever they were. If you did not do anything to hurt anyone else then you should have nothing to worry about. I am reminded by a recent Daily Show. Jon Stewart was commenting on this committee of folks railing agianst smut on TV. SOme of the folks giving testimony stood up there and siad "what happened to TV that had good wholesome values like Howdy Doody? THos were good times" and Jon Stewart says "Yeah and black people couldn't vote, woohoo!" and it was really funny. It got people to see the absurdity of it all. I don't know, he does it better than I do. I guess that' why they pay him more. :rollseyes:

snowbear
05-18-2006, 10:26 PM
I guess coming from a small town in Oklahoma I had it lucky. I had friends of every color, and we learned from each other. We had public schools which everyone went to, and all races held offices in our class rooms. We learned how to respect each other mainly due to the very strict rules. We had a hair code, dress code, everything. I'm not saying it was perfect, nothing is. But due to that my childhood has some of the fond memories that site brings up. That childhood also helped me see people for who they are.. not what they look like. There will always be injustice in the world, and all each of can do is learn to look at the person..not the color or weight or sex or religion. Childhood memories are not always wonderful.. but some of the things this brings back is wonderful to me. :XX:

Ingrid
05-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Very well put, Snowbear! We often say it was a simpler time, when in reality it was a much harsher, crueler time, when we look at the reality of those years.

These things, though, do bring back memories of childhood, and though all the memories are not good, they're still part of our childhood.

Shandeh
05-19-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the memories!! I remember a lot of those..including the black and white tv's. :D

I remember the very first color television we ever bought. I jumped up and down on our light blue vinyl sofa because I was so excited. I think I fell and hit my head too. lol (Maybe THAT's why I'm so strange today!)

I also remember the TV repair man coming to our house and setting the screen on a rainbow display, then stepping back from the tv with a great big magnet thing, spinning it for some odd reason. I was transfixed. I don't think you could have taken me out of that room with any kind of bribe at all....not even a Kool-Pop.

Shandeh
05-19-2006, 08:49 AM

My favorite was Clove. I loved taking it out of the wrapper and just smelling it for a few minutes before putting it in my mouth. I knew that if I chewed it, the flavor would soon disappear....so I tried to enjoy the moment as long as possible.

Believe it or not, one of my local yarn stores sells it today! They have Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry.

feministmama
05-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Is teaberry the same as Beamans? I like Beamans. It was the gum the astronaughts chew.

1to1
05-19-2006, 01:08 PM
That was fun. Like some of you I dont remember everything but ah "the good ole days"! ;)