PDA

View Full Version : Addi turbo or Denise?

Diamonznpurlz
05-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Hello!!! I am a newbie knitter (always wanted to learn!!!) working on a fitted tank pattern from Blue Sky Alpaca. I have made more scarves/wraps than I can count. I also made a simple hat from the Stitch n Bitch book. Now, I am being brave an attempting an actual garment!!!

Anyhow, I want to learn to use circular needles and would appreciate expert advice. Should I purchase the Addi Turbo needles or the Denise? Which are better and why? Id rather invest on something that is going to last. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks!!!! ;)

Holly
05-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Hello :D I would purchase the Denise needles. It is soooo nice to have all the sizes you might need in one kit, and I just :heart: my set! Having said that, I also love Addi's! When doing a large project with a lot of straigt knitting, an Addi circular is nice. I was doing a poncho, and I bought an extra long Addi circular for that. Generally, though, I use my Denise's for most things. I love that you can adjust the length of cord mid project if needed. For example, I was working on a bag and misjudged the length of circular I needed. It was a snap to add on to the Denise cord and make it longer. I've also taken off my needle tips and put on the smallest needle tip when I had to frog some knitting and get the stitches back on the needles.

rebecca
05-17-2006, 02:34 PM
:D I have both. My husband surprised me with my Denise set not too long after I began knitting & it was wonderful to have such a variety of sizes & combinations. I now knit almost exclusively with my addi's. love them both, but I recommend Denises when you are beginning. Addi's are very slick & sometimes take some getting used to ;)

Celine
05-17-2006, 02:36 PM
I just ordered a set of Denise needles this morning!! :cheering: I've been debatiing and read thru most of the posts on pro and cons and the Denise won for me. I like the idea of not having to buy more needles. Enough is enough!! I'd rather spend the money on more yarn. :happydance:

Julie
05-17-2006, 04:54 PM
You need to consider the kinds of projects you're going to be knitting too...the Denise set goes from US5 on up -- if you think that you'll ever want to knit socks or other things with smaller needles (it's a sickness, I tell you) then you'll need to buy additional needles to supplement the Denises.

kemp
05-17-2006, 05:07 PM
I :heart: :heart: :heart: my Denise set. I have addi's in the smaller sizes and they are great too. The flexibility of the Denise set is great though...all different lengths etc.

jelly
05-17-2006, 06:41 PM
i love the speed of the Addi's but the Denise's are great when you are doing something with a lot of k2 together or knitting thru back of a stitch b/c the Denise's have sharper points and it's easier to do those stitches with a sharper point

Squishy
05-17-2006, 08:21 PM
I have never used the Denise's, but I LOVE my addi's! I love that they are slippery and I just bust right through big projects!

Diamonznpurlz
05-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Wow, all of your replies are so helpful!!! I think I may just order the Denise set for now. As I said before I started my first garmet (a fitted tank) and I already wish I knew how to use the circulars instead. I feel like I'm sqeezing in too many stitches on my needles. :XX:

My tank doesn't look like much right now and I already learned that I should have cast on with bigger needles b/c I start tight. :blush:
Well, I will keep you posted on my trials and tribulations.

Thanks so much for responding!!!! :D

Nikki
05-18-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm sorry, but the only answer to that question I can think of is "yes".
Nikki