PDA

View Full Version : I hate this yarn. Should I keep going, or quit?

KristiMetz
05-17-2006, 09:10 PM
I am conflicted...

I am about 1/3 of the way through "Molly's Headband" from the current issue of Interweave.

I am using Plymouth Wildflower DK and I really just HATE it. It's not good for a lace project, and it's incredibly splitty and lifeless seeming. I'm not impressed with this yarn!

I know a headband seems like a tiny project, but for me this will take several evenings - I don't have much time to knit and it's my first lace project.

What do you guys think, should I scrap it and get a diff. yarn or keep going just so I finish??

Any advice for me? I tend to have a lot of unfinished FO's (never enough time to knit!) but I Hate to keep going when I'm not going to be happy with how it looks.

ebrperk
05-17-2006, 09:19 PM
I would probably use something else. It is important that you like the finished product I think.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-17-2006, 09:43 PM
I agree with that... you're never going to wear it if you hated knitting it!!! Start over, you'll be glad you did.

Friskums
05-17-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm working on a cardigan. And I had the back and almost all of the left front panel done. I frogged the whole thing and started over.

Why?

Because there were far too many mistakes for my liking. Everyone I asked said they couldn't tell, but I knew they were there. So, I ripped it all out and started over because if you're not going to enjoy and wear the finished product, all the time/work/energy you put into knitting it is going to be a waste.

I would highly suggest getting a yarn you'll like and start over. I know it kind of sucks to have to do that, but in the end, if you don't wear it, then what's the point?

cookworm
05-17-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm not a very seasoned knitter or anything, but I'd say if you're not happy at least with the way it looks, then if it were me, I'd probably scrap it. I know, I HATE wasting time and money on projects for yarn and knitting that don't turn out how I planned, but the others that posted are right--if you're not going to wear what you knitted, that's probably a bigger waste. I think part of knitting is "trial and error" with yarns, unfortunately. Occasionally I've found that when I stuck it out with a particular yarn I didn't like, the result was really nice and I was glad that I did, but the time I spent fighting with the yarn while I was knitting it wasn't enjoyable. I knit because I like doing something with my hands that gives me a finished product (something more permanently completed other than housework which ten minutes after you do it, it's messed up again! :rofling: ) I also knit for relaxation which I'm not going to have if I knit with a frustrating yarn...there's a big difference I think between frustrating and challenging, you know?

Ingrid
05-17-2006, 10:06 PM
I agree. Frog it and use something else. It will end up in a drawer somewhere and you won't have gotten any pleasure from the process.

KristiMetz
05-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the advice! You guys are so right. I spend too much time on this stuff to be unhappy with it because of the yarn!

Guess I'll get busy picking out another yarn. :)

AnreeAce
05-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Guess I'll get busy picking out another yarn. :)

It's a bummer to rip something when it's not working, but shopping for more yarn can make up for a lot of bummer-ness!

Nikki
05-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Late here and you've gotten really good answers. Never knit on something that doesn't make you happy and relaxed. Life is too short.
Nikki

rebecca
05-18-2006, 11:29 AM
:D I agree, I've frogged several things bc I didn't like the yarn :thumbsup: